What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (2 Viewers)

"You know when Jimmy was a baby and I changed his diaper, I would kiss his little winky." :eek: WTF is that about? And why did we have to know that?!
There's always been a little too much physicality between Jimmy and his mom. When he first walked into the house and then kissed his mom and then his wife (in almost the same exact fashion), before I realized that the first female was his mom, I thought for a second that he'd managed a three-way living situation.I also seem to recall that the first time the two were on screen together last season, she ran up to him and hugged him, legs-wrapped-around-his-waste style. Very strange, and I seriously think that it will eventually come out (or be heavily hinted at) that they've slept together.
Yes. When they first introduced the mother, I think it was staged as if it was his lover on the side.

"You know when Jimmy was a baby and I changed his diaper, I would kiss his little winky." :eek: WTF is that about? And why did we have to know that?!
There's always been a little too much physicality between Jimmy and his mom. When he first walked into the house and then kissed his mom and then his wife (in almost the same exact fashion), before I realized that the first female was his mom, I thought for a second that he'd managed a three-way living situation.I also seem to recall that the first time the two were on screen together last season, she ran up to him and hugged him, legs-wrapped-around-his-waste style. Very strange, and I seriously think that it will eventually come out (or be heavily hinted at) that they've slept together.
Yes. When they first introduced the mother, I think it was staged as if it was his lover on the side.
Good points, now that you guys bring it up, I remember being surprised last year to find out it was his mother. I thought it was a girlfriend.

Dominic Chianese was in the credits...but was he in that ep?
I am guessing that old guy Nucky was looking at during the KKK funeral. He seems to have been in a few episodes but I had no clue at all.
Yeah, he was the old guy at the funeral. They also showed him in the previews in some of the guys coming up against Nucky (and spoke in it) - so I have a feeling he may be in a few more episodes going forward.
He'll be in 6 eps I believe.

not going to bother with spoilers, figure you are in this thred if you saw it.

So did the Commodore dime Nucky out? Is that the sentiment here.

not going to bother with spoilers, figure you are in this thred if you saw it.So did the Commodore dime Nucky out? Is that the sentiment here.
Seems like it. Speaking of disloyalty, am I the only one who thinks that Jimmy will soon get back with Nucky? Seems like Jimmy is a lot closer to Nucky than he is to the mayor.

not going to bother with spoilers, figure you are in this thred if you saw it.So did the Commodore dime Nucky out? Is that the sentiment here.
Seems like it. Speaking of disloyalty, am I the only one who thinks that Jimmy will soon get back with Nucky? Seems like Jimmy is a lot closer to Nucky than he is to the mayor.
:confused: Jimmy doesn't have a relationship with the Mayor? Did I miss something this episode?

:confused: Jimmy doesn't have a relationship with the Mayor? Did I miss something this episode?
That had me confused too, maybe he's referring to the Commodore and not the mayor?

That had me confused too, maybe he's referring to the Commodore and not the mayor?
Whoops. Sorry. I confused the two.

Yeah he's feeling guilty. Nucky pretty much raised him and the commodore wanted nothing to do with him. Now the Commodore and Jimmy "connected". So I think right now Jimmy is "happy" is real dad is in his life. However in the end I think Jimmy will realize that Nucky is "his dad" and do right by him.

Yeah he's feeling guilty. Nucky pretty much raised him and the commodore wanted nothing to do with him. Now the Commodore and Jimmy "connected". So I think right now Jimmy is "happy" is real dad is in his life. However in the end I think Jimmy will realize that Nucky is "his dad" and do right by him.
The wildcard here is Jimmy's mother. She's still around the Commodore and may push Jimmy to stay with blood. However, we still don't know who really tried to poison him (the maid was a patsy IMO) , so if it was his mother then they could both plot against the Comm and Jimmy gets back with Nucky that way. Side note, the only reason why the Commodore was dying was because of the poison, correct? Just clarifying that situation, I don't remember him getting a clean bill of health.

The wildcard here is Jimmy's mother. She's still around the Commodore and may push Jimmy to stay with blood. However, we still don't know who really tried to poison him (the maid was a patsy IMO) , so if it was his mother then they could both plot against the Comm and Jimmy gets back with Nucky that way. Side note, the only reason why the Commodore was dying was because of the poison, correct? Just clarifying that situation, I don't remember him getting a clean bill of health.
Just to clarify I wouldn't mind Gretchen Mol kissing my winky.

Speaking of disloyalty, am I the only one who thinks that Jimmy will soon get back with Nucky?
He put that present on the shelf for a reason jdog.
Well, if he hated Nucky, he'd throw it away. I think he's angry at Nucky, but Nucky is a better man than Jimmy's father ever was.
Maybe it's a misdirection, but it seems like some heavyhanded symbolism of Nucky getting put on the shelf. That can't be a good thing for their relationship.What's more interesting to me is what happens when two face figures out Jimmy's little family is actually a mess, because (thanks to another heavy handed scene with the scrapbook) it seems like he has a serious (unhealthy?) fascination with ideal family life.

Speaking of disloyalty, am I the only one who thinks that Jimmy will soon get back with Nucky?
He put that present on the shelf for a reason jdog.
Well, if he hated Nucky, he'd throw it away. I think he's angry at Nucky, but Nucky is a better man than Jimmy's father ever was.
Maybe it's a misdirection, but it seems like some heavyhanded symbolism of Nucky getting put on the shelf. That can't be a good thing for their relationship.
It's on the shelf, not in the trash. Things can easily be removed from shelves.

Richard Harrow is one of the more intriguing characters on TV right now.

The man behind the half-mask
An incredible character, for sure.
how about the agent Van Allan(?). Creepy, disturbing.
Van Alden is a great character but I think at times he is a little over-the-top. The last EP with Harrow cutting out the 'happy family' photos was fascinating.
What was so fascinating about it, Sepinwall? The guy longs for a normal life with loving surroundings.

Van Alden is a great character but I think at times he is a little over-the-top. The last EP with Harrow cutting out the 'happy family' photos was fascinating.
What was so fascinating about it, Sepinwall? The guy longs for a normal life with loving surroundings.
The fact that his longings manifest in the way they do. We have a soldier/sniper/killer creating a life for himself inside a scrap book.

The fact that his longings manifest in the way they do. We have a soldier/sniper/killer creating a life for himself inside a scrap book.
:yes:

Speaking of Sepinwall:

"How does it feel - to have everything?" -Richard

Because Lucy is still pregnant with Van Alden's devil spawn, we know that it's only been a few months since the end of the first season, but a lot has changed while we were away. Jimmy and Angela have gone from common-law spouses to actual ones, and moved into a nice house on the beach, though it's clear this relationship - and the now-omnipresent Gillian - is a struggle for Angela. Nucky and Margaret are so rooted in domestic routine that the kids refer to him as their "uncle," while Nucky is already stepping out on Margaret with good-time girls at the speakeasies. Van Alden and Lucy have moved in together in some unexplained but unsettling arrangement. And the Commodore has recovered enough that he's ready to begin his offensive against Nucky's machine...

... which leads into that fantastic early scene where the Klan launches an attack on Chalky's warehouse. As powerful as Chalky is, both within the black community and as an ally of Nucky's, you knew that cutting off a Klan leader's finger wasn't something that would just be forgotten, and the Commodore cleverly managed to exploit the KKK's racist agenda for his own purposes. Terence Winter told me at the end of last season that he wanted to give Michael Kenneth Williams more to do, and building so many early moments of the premiere around Chalky is a great way to start.

What I loved about the warehouse shootout was just how vulnerable Chalky became. We like to think of him as a badass because Williams played Omar, and because of the bookcase speech last year, but Chalky's not a superhero; he's just a man, and there are certain situations where men wind up scared and totally at the mercy of others. And if they're lucky enough to survive, then they can start hating themselves for their own fear. Williams shows all of that without a word, even as Chalky's picking up a rifle to take out one of the fleeing Klansmen. And he was just as fantastic in the later scene where Nucky visits the White home - and we see that Chalky's domestic life is every bit as sophisticated as Nucky's (if not moreso) - and Chalky threatens to start the civil rights movement about 40 years ahead of schedule. After five years of watching him as the cocky, carefree Omar, it took me a while to adjust to Williams' perpetual frown as Chalky, but the more we see of the guy, the more it becomes clear just how much crap he's had to swallow over the years. After enough of it, you'd frown all the time, too, even if you were as rich and powerful (on one side of town) as Chalky White.

Chalky is a useful ally to Nucky, but he's not his friend - Nucky keeps everyone at such remove that it's hard to view anyone in his circle (white or not) as a friend - and Nucky demonstrates his more opportunistic, self-aggrandizing side when we see his pro-black speech at one church dissolve seamlessly into an anti-Negro screed at another. It's not always pretty to watch Nucky Thompson at work, but do it long enough and you understand just how he came to accumulate so much power - and why so many are so eager to take it from him.

At the start of the season, there's a lot of jealousy fueling the conflicts. Jimmy's grudge against Nucky runs deeper than that - he resents his surrogate father for not giving him opportunities when he came home, and then for his discoveries about how Nucky pimped Gillian out to the Commodore - but the Commodore is jealous of Nucky sitting on the throne he once occupied, Nucky is jealous that the Commodore has Jimmy's ear when he doesn't, Eli has always been envious of his brother, Richard sits at Jimmy's table and looks in awe at all his friend has (though his jealousy is of a gentler kind, because he would never betray Jimmy), Margaret is jealous of the attention Nucky bestows on other people instead of her and the kids, and of course Chalky himself is jealous as hell that he does all the work of a Nucky but is treated like a second-class citizen (at best) by most of the people in the city.

Much of Van Alden's quest to bring down Nucky last season was fueled by his envy that such a venal man could have so much power - and, eventually, have Mrs. Schroder - while he suffered for his virtue. For this week, at least, his pursuit of Nucky has been slowed so he can deal with a more pressing problem: his wife's desire to move to Atlantic City to be close to her creepy, aloof, religious zealot of a husband. Though Van Alden is often a problematic character for me, I liked how he was used here, simultaneously giving his wife an impressive anniversary gift by busting up an illegal liquor joint to protect her honor, while also scaring her enough to never, ever want to move to this Sodom by the sea, where she might find out about little Nelson Jr. growing inside Lucy's swollen belly.

Even with Van Alden distracted by the two women in his life - one a repressed angel, one a sloopy, pregnant devil - Nucky has more than enough trouble on his hands courtesy of Jimmy, the Commodore and Eli. The Commodore is feeling his oats, exercising with his spear and bragging on his big game-hunting days to anyone who'll listen. He may believe that Nucky is just another jungle cat he can stalk and kill, but Nucky is much tougher and more clever than the Commodore is willing to admit - even as he was being arrested for election fraud at episode's end, all I could think about were the many ways he would have to get out of this mess - and isn't likely to end up as a trophy on his wall, any more than the Klan was actually going to be able to take out Chalky.

Overall, a very good start to the new season.

Some other thoughts:

• Who's a cast regular and who isn't is more often a matter of contracts than status within the narrative. Still, it was nice to see Jack Huston and Gretchen Mol added to the opening credits. Huston was an enormous addition late last season, and scenes like his shame at the thought of eating in front of other people - even trusted friends like Jimmy and Angela - were a reminder of why. Great character, great performance.

• I obsessed as much over "The Sopranos" as much as anyone, but I have to confess I didn't spot Dominic Chianese in the episode, and only realized he was the old man with the muttonchops at the funeral parlor after seeing his name in the guest credits at the end. A look very much unlike Uncle Junior.

• I know many mothers of many eras have said things like "I used to kiss his little winky" about their grown sons, but given the close age difference and the creepy undertone to their mother-son relationship, the line takes on a very different meaning when it escapes Gillian's lips.

• Not much Capone this week, except to establish that his "today I am a man" moment from last season has continued, all the way to him being Torio's right-hand man. Meanwhile, George Remus, the Cincy bootlegger who insists on referring to himself in the third person, is another real-life figure, and one of many men of this era alleged to be F. Scott Fitzgerald's inspiration for Jay Gatsby in "The Great Gatsby."

• Again, Van Alden's not my favorite character, but I would watch a half-hour spin-off that was nothing but him mispronouncing the names of different ethnic foods. Also, the wobbly bed spring gag was a cheap joke, but still a funny one.

Speaking of Sepinwall:Terence Winter told me at the end of last season that he wanted to give Michael Kenneth Williams more to do, and building so many early moments of the premiere around Chalky is a great way to start.Much of Van Alden's quest to bring down Nucky last season was fueled by his envy that such a venal man could have so much power - and, eventually, have Mrs. Schroder - while he suffered for his virtue. For this week, at least, his pursuit of Nucky has been slowed so he can deal with a more pressing problem: his wife's desire to move to Atlantic City to be close to her creepy, aloof, religious zealot of a husband. • I obsessed as much over "The Sopranos" as much as anyone, but I have to confess I didn't spot Dominic Chianese in the episode, and only realized he was the old man with the muttonchops at the funeral parlor after seeing his name in the guest credits at the end. A look very much unlike Uncle Junior.• I know many mothers of many eras have said things like "I used to kiss his little winky" about their grown sons, but given the close age difference and the creepy undertone to their mother-son relationship, the line takes on a very different meaning when it escapes Gillian's lips. • Meanwhile, George Remus, the Cincy bootlegger who insists on referring to himself in the third person, is another real-life figure, and one of many men of this era alleged to be F. Scott Fitzgerald's inspiration for Jay Gatsby in "The Great Gatsby."
- So Chalky will not be fazed out. - Hadn't thought about Van Alden 'showing' his wife all of that on purpose...nicely done.- Glad I wasn't the only one.- Say what?- Interesting.

Speaking of Sepinwall:

I know many mothers of many eras have said things like "I used to kiss his little winky" about their grown sons, but given the close age difference and the creepy undertone to their mother-son relationship, the line takes on a very different meaning when it escapes Gillian's lips.
They have?
Dude is weird. Seriously. Maybe his mother said this. Actually that would explain a lot.

Omar was probably my favorite character in The Wire, but so far I've found Michael K Williams' acting to be pretty awful.

on the flip side, Michael Pitt steals every scene he's in.

"IRA John" was a party animal at dinner! :banned: Seppy:

A review of tonight's "Boardwalk Empire" coming up just as soon as I fall into the shoe polish..."You know the funny thing? Nobody takes power. Somebody else has to give it to them. Look around, big brother. What do you got?" -EliThis season of "Boardwalk Empire" is one large power struggle between Nucky and the various men trying to bring him down, and "Ourselves Alone" features one display of power after another - some effective, some not.The Commodore tries to show off his youthful vigor by not only dying his hair a ridiculous jet black, but lifting the elephant tusk when the much younger Damian couldn't. Margaret demonstrates her strength to both Nucky (by rescuing the ledger from the state cops) and the IRA fund-raiser (who, like so many men on this show, is surprised to hear a woman speak so plainly and smartly). Jimmy tries to partner up with Arnold Rothstein, initially not realizing that Meyer and Lucky may be the ascendant powers here, and he in turn gets to show his personal strength in baiting the two wiseguys who were hassling Meyer into a fight Jimmy knows he'll win. Nucky tries to bully Eli into coming back over to his side, but Eli knows how much of a bluff it is.And in perhaps the most impressive display, Chalky gets to show the obnoxious Dunn Purnsley that true power means not even having to lift a hand against an opponent.Chalky's tenure in jail was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. We start with him sharing a cell with Nucky - in what we'll later be reminded is an unusual circumstance for black and white men at the time (and no doubt a sop to Nucky) - discussing strategy as if they're equals. (Or, at least, as if Nucky recognizes that Chalky is one of the few parts of the machine he can still trust.) And when he gets moved into a cell with the other black prisoners, and has to endure Purnsley's harassment, he just takes it. He lies about the book he's reading, recognizing that Purnsley likely can't read or tell the difference between "Mark Twain" and "David Copperfield," and when the badgering eventually reaches the point where action has to be taken, Chalky isn't foolish or impulsive enough to do it himself and risk spending more time in jail. Instead, he lets Purnsley know just how much better and more powerful he is by inviting all of their cellmates to show their loyalty to him, then administer the beatdown on his behalf.It's also a terrific episode for Margaret. I loved seeing her undercover visit to Nucky's office, dressed similarly to how she appeared when she first came there at the start of the series to plead for money. Then, it was sincere; now, it's just an act (down to the fake pregnancy belly), because we know how savvy Margaret is and how well she's adjusted to her new circumstances as the kept woman of the rich and powerful Nucky Thompson.Jimmy's still learning how to navigate the corridors of power. His hand-to-hand fighting skills are never in question - and here he puts them to use solving a problem for potential new allies Meyer and Lucky without them even knowing he's doing it - and the Commodore introduces him to the elderly power brokers of Atlantic City, but there's always a sense that he's tentative about all these backroom negotiations, where he'd be much more comfortable facing other problems that can be solved with his trench knife.Not that Nucky's on particularly solid ground, either. He gets bailed out of jail, but he has to work out of his actual office at City Hall while the state cops have taken over his suite at the Ritz, the mayor is the only one of his political allies to answer his call (and only because he seems to be beneath the Commodore's notice), and then Eli makes the particulars of this coup known by calling his brother to taunt him about the betrayal. And though Nucky certainly has the grit and brains to eventually get the promised revenge on Eli, Eli knows just how weak he is at this moment - as does Nucky. (Just note how weak and concerned he looks as the camera pushes in on Steve Buscemi after the call ends.)After Chalky's friends have taken care of the Dunn Purnsley problem, Chalky invites one of the men to entertain him and the rest of the cell with a reading from "David Copperfield," including the opening passage that asks, "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anyone else." In that moment, Chalky is very much the hero of of his own life, in control of his world as much as he can be while behind bars. But even though Nucky's free, his control seems to be slipping away, bit by bit.Some other thoughts:• We've known all along that Nucky's real name is Enoch, and that Lucky's is Charlie. Now we hear that Chalky's given name is Albert.• Note that one of the men who's gone over to Team Commodore - and who's testifying against Nucky in the election fraud case - is Patty Ryan, whose promotion to that job is what caused the schism between Jimmy and Nucky back in the pilot. If Jimmy gets to take over that ward, things would be very different: no Nucky/Rothstein feud, no time in Chicago, probably no Jimmy/Commodore alliance, etc.• From my notes, during the scene where Jimmy stands in the doorway, getting ready to fight the wiseguys who saw him rake in the dough at the card game: "The camera LOVES Michael Pitt." He's a great visual subject for a show like this, on top of being a hell of an actor.• Also from my notes (and in this case I will not say one way or the other whether this prediction proved to be accurate over the later episodes I've seen), right after Margaret said goodbye to handsome IRA man Owen Slater, "Oh, she likes him."• Meyer and Lucky have a young associate named Benny, who has a habit of acting/talking crazy. Any chance this isn't supposed to be the young Bugsy Siegel, played in various movies by the likes of Warren Beatty and Richard Grieco?

Users who are viewing this thread