What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (1 Viewer)

I don't think 99% of the viewing audience has any clue what comes of Rothstein and Luciano. They probably know of their names, but it's not like those stories are imbedded in the consciousness of the public. Similar to everybody knew who Billy the Kid and Jesse James were when all these movies came out about them, but didn't really know their stories. And I'd suggest that the public are less aware of the Rothstein and Luciano stories than they are of Billy the Kid and Jesse James'. There is still plenty of chicken left on the bone.

I don't think 99% of the viewing audience has any clue what comes of Rothstein and Luciano. They probably know of their names, but it's not like those stories are imbedded in the consciousness of the public. Similar to everybody knew who Billy the Kid and Jesse James were when all these movies came out about them, but didn't really know their stories. And I'd suggest that the public are less aware of the Rothstein and Luciano stories than they are of Billy the Kid and Jesse James'. There is still plenty of chicken left on the bone.
I don't anyways. I know geraldo tried to open capones vault or something like that.

I guess I always figured the "Gangster movie" fan wouldnt just stop at Al Capone, especially during that same time period. I'll enjoy the story (assuming they don't deviate) but knowing the end is screwing the show up for me.

In Season 1, people were complaining that the show was introducing too many characters.

In Season 2, people are complaining that the show was killing off too many characters.

Don't believe me? Someone bump Season 1 LOL.

In Season 1, someone tried to kill Nuky..........ahmmm didn't end to well for them.

In Season 2, someone tried to kill Nuky..........ahmmm didn't end to well for them.

Not surprised at all that Jimmy was killed, I actually expected it.

Just hoping for more Rothstein in Season 3. :banned:

Jimmy's son was so cute on the horse. And knowing what we know now, it's a heartbreaking scene.
The moment that seen started, I knew it was coming. I suspected it when he got his affairs in order to make sure the Commodore's estate would go to his kid. Then he starts having that talk with his kid and I'm like oh wow, Jimmy's done for.

Jimmy's son was so cute on the horse. And knowing what we know now, it's a heartbreaking scene.
The moment that seen started, I knew it was coming. I suspected it when he got his affairs in order to make sure the Commodore's estate would go to his kid. Then he starts having that talk with his kid and I'm like oh wow, Jimmy's done for.
It was setting up for it, which is why I was surprised they didn't pull a switch. LOVED the klan bit. One of the most gratifying in recent memory.

I used to frequent Meyer Lanksky's favorite speakeasy on the Lower East Side quite often. Learned a little about him from the owner. Cool to see him in action.

Adding to the disappointment of Jimmy being whacked, was Buscemi's performance in what should've been a powerful moment for Nucky. He was completely succumbing to being a full on gangster and IMO I didn't get the sense that the scene was "big" enough due to Buscemi's lack of presence. It just didn't seem as intense as it should have been. He's a magoo thats trying to be a bad guy and hes not pullin it off, at least not yet. Anyone else feel that way or was it just the shock of seeing Jimmy take one in the face that I didn't grasp the whole thing?

I'm going to rewatch it to see if my opinion remains on Buscemi.

Adding to the disappointment of Jimmy being whacked, was Buscemi's performance in what should've been a powerful moment for Nucky. He was completely succumbing to being a full on gangster and IMO I didn't get the sense that the scene was "big" enough due to Buscemi's lack of presence. It just didn't seem as intense as it should have been. He's a magoo thats trying to be a bad guy and hes not pullin it off, at least not yet. Anyone else feel that way or was it just the shock of seeing Jimmy take one in the face that I didn't grasp the whole thing? I'm going to rewatch it to see if my opinion remains on Buscemi.
I liked it except for the "I am not seeking forgiveness" part.

I hope were not denied the scene when Nucky finds out he doesn't own the land.
I was assuming that cliffhanger will be easily solved for him. That priest isn't dumb enough to take nuckys land from him.
:goodposting: This isnt a storyline that interests me at all. We all know the road gets built.
yeah we know, but when he gets served the sheet sandwich that margaret gave his land away interests me.

Adding to the disappointment of Jimmy being whacked, was Buscemi's performance in what should've been a powerful moment for Nucky. He was completely succumbing to being a full on gangster and IMO I didn't get the sense that the scene was "big" enough due to Buscemi's lack of presence. It just didn't seem as intense as it should have been. He's a magoo thats trying to be a bad guy and hes not pullin it off, at least not yet. Anyone else feel that way or was it just the shock of seeing Jimmy take one in the face that I didn't grasp the whole thing? I'm going to rewatch it to see if my opinion remains on Buscemi.
I think its because were so used to seeing him as a whiny little maggot in all his other roles (at least for me anyways). I think this got covered in here alot during season one. I mean what is Busemi, maybe 160 pounds soaking wet? Not really a polarizing figure...Was that really supposed to be the first time Nucky killed somebody? I didn't get Jimmys rant to him about killing someone, I assumed Nucky has been down this road before.

:goodposting: Pitts acting was powerful enough to make the scene great, but if Buscemi could have stepped his game up, we'd be talking about it as "Wallace" like.

I think its because were so used to seeing him as a whiny little maggot in all his other roles (at least for me anyways). I think this got covered in here alot during season one. I mean what is Busemi, maybe 160 pounds soaking wet? Not really a polarizing figure...Was that really supposed to be the first time Nucky killed somebody? I didn't get Jimmys rant to him about killing someone, I assumed Nucky has been down this road before.
It came off to me like it was his first time actually pulling the triggor and something maybe Jimmy knew. I think one time when #### was hitting the fan that Jimmy even said something to Nucky along the lines of "you're not built for this" or something to that effect.

I was assuming that cliffhanger will be easily solved for him. That priest isn't dumb enough to take nuckys land from him.
:goodposting: This isnt a storyline that interests me at all. We all know the road gets built.
yeah we know, but when he gets served the sheet sandwich that margaret gave his land away interests me.
True, hoping this makes margaret spill the beans about cheating (thought for sure was going to happen last night) then her and loverboy get the axe.

Was that really supposed to be the first time Nucky killed somebody? I didn't get Jimmys rant to him about killing someone, I assumed Nucky has been down this road before.
I cant imagine they would have written it that way if it wasnt. He's always come across as a character who has other people do his bidding. If im not mistaking there have been several references about this throughout the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it except for the "I am not seeking forgiveness" part.
That part just confused me. He's not seeking forgivness (and Jimmy didnt seem to be asking for it) but Eli is standing there with him...I don't know, its just didnt seem right to me.

Was that really supposed to be the first time Nucky killed somebody? I didn't get Jimmys rant to him about killing someone, I assumed Nucky has been down this road before.
I cant imagine they would have written it that way if it wasnt. He's always came off as a character that has other people do his bidding. If im not mistaking there have been several references about this throughout the series.
Yeah Nucky never struck me as someone who got his hands dirty. And Jimmy, of all people, would know this.

I literally cringe whenever she gets screen time. She can not be written off fast enough as far as im concerned.

I cant imagine they would have written it that way if it wasnt. He's always came off as a character that has other people do his bidding. If im not mistaking there have been several references about this throughout the series.
Yeah Nucky never struck me as someone who got his hands dirty. And Jimmy, of all people, would know this.
gottcha, I was under the assumption he had to do some dirty work in the past (like even years and years ago) to get to where he is at now, guess not...

I literally cringe whenever she gets screen time. She can not be written off fast enough as far as im concerned.
+1I can't stand her

"but I have children"

+1I can't stand her
Loved her in Trainspotting...in BW, not so much

"but I have children"
:hot: I think we need to form a "Margaret Hate Club" in this thread, similar to the "Walt Jr. Hate Club" we have going in the Breaking Bad discussion. :yes:

+1I can't stand her
The home-front storyline usually sucks. Margaret, Skylar/Junior, AJ, etc. I don't find hers unbearable or anything. At least she's a threat to seriously wreck ####.

One more thing about this gamble...This wasn’t like killing off some semi-main character. The best comparison that can be made IMO, would be like if Tony killed Chris-tofa after season 2 or 3 of the Sopranos.This move is unprecedented, even for cable television shows (IMO).
FWIW: There are rumors all over the innerwebs that Michael Pitt is extremely difficult to work with.If true, that would make the writers' decision a lot easier.
Terence Winter: How would you feel if Michael Pitt were no longer amongst the cast members?Steve Buscemi: If Michael Pitt were no longer amonst the cast members . . . then I would have no opinion on the matter one way or the other.Terence Winter: Well then, it looks like I have a decision to make.
AR: When it's in the air you will know....

Very minor point - I've seen mentioned a couple of times that Jimmy showed up to his whacking unarmed. Didn't Owen have to pull a pistol out of Jimmy's jacket once Eli had the gun on him?

It goes back to the ep when Jimmy told Nucky he cant be half a gangsta.

Very minor point - I've seen mentioned a couple of times that Jimmy showed up to his whacking unarmed. Didn't Owen have to pull a pistol out of Jimmy's jacket once Eli had the gun on him?
No, Jimmy even told him that he wasnt armed.

"but I have children"
:goodposting: This is why she's brutal to watch now. When I read that I heard her saying it, because it's all she says. Even when she says something else that's what I hear her saying. I don't think she's been in a scene this season when she hasn't said the word "children".

The internet is ablaze with the "zOMG... they killed my favorite character... I'M NEVER WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN!" crowd. Christ, settle down. Watch or don't watch, who cares. But stop announcing it. Nobody knew Jimmy before this show began, and we grew to like him. Well guess what? We'll probably like the next character they introduce. And the one after that.

"THE children." The. I think that's awesome. Reminds me of Janice from the Sopranos, where she was so annoying it was entertaining. It's almost like Nucky is mocking her when he refers to the the children.

"but I have children"
:goodposting: This is why she's brutal to watch now. When I read that I heard her saying it, because it's all she says. Even when she says something else that's what I hear her saying. I don't think she's been in a scene this season when she hasn't said the word "children".
:lmao: I don't think she mentioned her children when the dashing young mick was slamming her.

The internet is ablaze with the "zOMG... they killed my favorite character... I'M NEVER WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN!" crowd. Christ, settle down. Watch or don't watch, who cares. But stop announcing it. Nobody knew Jimmy before this show began, and we grew to like him. Well guess what? We'll probably like the next character they introduce. And the one after that.
These are people who picked up HBO a couple years ago for Entourage. I wouldn't give it much thought.

Users who are viewing this thread