What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (2 Viewers)

I just had a Bears fan tell me Namath should be much higher on the list and that Ray Lewis shouldn't be on it at all.

He also proceeded to say that Urlacher should be in the top 50........

snommis, whoever u are, you are one of the most knowledgeable posters here.

the rest are just stat junkies (since it IS an fantasy forum)

I just had a Bears fan tell me Namath should be much higher on the list and that Ray Lewis shouldn't be on it at all. He also proceeded to say that Urlacher should be in the top 50........
I'm a Jets fan and even I think Namath was lucky to be on the list (Len Dawson/Dan Fouts/Jim Kelly/Warren Moon/Y.A.Tittle)

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree, I think a lot of people, probably a majority considered Steve Largent the best WR in the NFL in that time period. I think you're giving too much stock to single seasons, and need to look at groups of 2, 3, or 4 seasons and like I said Largent was the best. Best route running, best catching, most productive consistently and most famous WR in his time, in my opinion.
:lmao: Dude -

The majority of NFL fans didn't even know he was. Dead serious. They were West Coast pre-ESPN dominance never on MNF and rarely good. Nobody played FF back then so nobody scoured stats like they were Bill James.

Every year the Honolulu would roll around and we'd be like, "Oh yeah, that cat in Seattle...he's good, right?"

Guess its a perception thing, and I am underrating him. But please, I promise you, nobody outside of the pacific northwest thought he was the best contemporaneously.
Dude I was like 6 and living in Pittsburgh and knew that Steve Largent was one of the best in the game. This is just silly.

I just had a Bears fan tell me Namath should be much higher on the list and that Ray Lewis shouldn't be on it at all. He also proceeded to say that Urlacher should be in the top 50........
I'm a Jets fan and even I think Namath was lucky to be on the list (Len Dawson/Dan Fouts/Jim Kelly/Warren Moon/Y.A.Tittle)
Well you obviously know what you're talking about. I think that Bear fan used Namath as a red-herring and just wanted to discuss that Urlacher should be on the list over Lewis.

I paused the Roundtable discussion show and the ballot was Every player in the HOF plus these players who are not in the HOF:
Thanks for compiling that. And thanks also to the other posters who broke up the list by position.Gotta say... I'm happy of course (as a Niner fan), to see Rice got the #1 spot... but am as surprised as I am happy. Jim Brown always gets #1 spot in those lists. I wonder what made this group go with Rice... Did the guys who chose this group discuss that?

I paused the Roundtable discussion show and the ballot was Every player in the HOF plus these players who are not in the HOF:
Thanks for compiling that. And thanks also to the other posters who broke up the list by position.Gotta say... I'm happy of course (as a Niner fan), to see Rice got the #1 spot... but am as surprised as I am happy. Jim Brown always gets #1 spot in those lists. I wonder what made this group go with Rice... Did the guys who chose this group discuss that?
The thing they said was that Rice was great for so long and his longevity was a key factor in the ranking.

I can certainly understand why Rice is #1 but I know if I were starting a team and could pick any player from any era in their prime my first pick would not be Jerry Rice.

If you're putting Namath on for the legend factor, then put Kill Bubba Kill* on it.Namath is one of the greatest characters in all of sports history, but not an all-time great QB.*Bubba Smith - great legend, one of the best college players ever, but not as dominant in the pros...but did lots of commercials.

I disagree, I think a lot of people, probably a majority considered Steve Largent the best WR in the NFL in that time period. I think you're giving too much stock to single seasons, and need to look at groups of 2, 3, or 4 seasons and like I said Largent was the best. Best route running, best catching, most productive consistently and most famous WR in his time, in my opinion.
:thumbup: Dude -

The majority of NFL fans didn't even know he was. Dead serious. They were West Coast pre-ESPN dominance never on MNF and rarely good. Nobody played FF back then so nobody scoured stats like they were Bill James.

Every year the Honolulu would roll around and we'd be like, "Oh yeah, that cat in Seattle...he's good, right?"

Guess its a perception thing, and I am underrating him. But please, I promise you, nobody outside of the pacific northwest thought he was the best contemporaneously.
Dude I was like 6 and living in Pittsburgh and knew that Steve Largent was one of the best in the game. This is just silly.
In 1986...I clarified later I am referring to the pre-strike years (1976-81); he was not well known by any stretch, nor was he acknowledged by insiders/sharks as being the best WR in the game.

Memory is a funny thing...

The List had 14 Linebackers on it. I know it is hard to compare OLB and MLB but here are their 14:

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

The most glaring omission in my eyes is Bill George. I would rank my "next 11" as: (Not sure on the order)

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

Those are my Top 40 Linebackers of all time.
Nice list!I was thinking George Webster should be on there (made the all-time AFL team), but then I remembered he tailed off after his first 3 seasons because of injuries.

Some old school guys who deserve mention (if only because they were favorites growin up): Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Ken Norton, Jack Reynolds, Andy Russell, and Wayne Walker.

Know what they all had in common? Fourteen years or more in the NFL, and multiple Pro Bowls.
George Webster, Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Wayne Walker, Jack Reynolds, Greg Lloyd, Cornelius Bennett, Joe Fortunato, Phil Villapiano, and Chris Spielman would be my next 11. We just did a top 50 (51) all time linebacker list..lol
Ha! That's awesome, thanks.Nobody remembers Wayne Walker, he started the year after Detroit won its last NFL Championship *(1958-72). Never missed a game. Used to be their FG kicker for years. Anyway, I met him at a charity basketball game. Hard to believe now, but back then the Lions would barnstorm across the state playing exhibition basketball games. It was a lot of Globetrotters type schtick. They played a group of townies (ex- local jocks and teachers), and he pulled me out of the stands during the first half to shoot a free throw. I made it, and they won by a single point.

That was back in the day when guys all had off season jobs. Can you imagine an NFL team putting together a charity basketball team that spent months traveling around by bus playing in high school gyms?

:thumbup:
That is a great story. That WOULD NEVER happen in today's NFL. You can hardly get some players to interact with fans!
Not sure if every team did it, but I remember the Vikings had an off-season charity basketball team (my cousin lived in St Paul). Did a Google search and came up with nothing on the Lions team - Charlie Sanders was the stud power forward - but I did find a Cleveland Browns article that also referenced a b-ball squad:And many of the Browns played on an exhibition basketball team that traveled Ohio and nearby states, playing about 50 to 60 games. Players could pick up an extra $50 to $70 per game.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...son_was_wo.html

Things were quite different salary wise back then, and nobody spent the whole year working out.

I love when threads get so log....with so much useful information. :thumbup:

Wheres Gates at TE? We can do this all day wheres who, why are they so low, bottom line is this list aint even fun to discuss because we know it is wayyyyy off.

:goodposting: Dude -

You're just way off on this. I'm 37 and grew up in the midwest. There was Steve Largent and the Seahawks were good and on TV plenty, then there was Art Monk, and then there was Jerry Rice. No one knew or cared about John Jefferson or Stanley Morgan or anyone else you listed (except maybe James Lofton but not thought of as better than Largent). Largent was the best in his day and that's just how it was. Doesn't have to do with scouring stats.
and they had the other guy named Curt Warner (sound)I was young and saw them living in NJ so i gotta figure people on the west coast saw him too.

They left Paul Hornung off?

Good to know the NFL doesn't hold a grudge.
Who would you drop from the list to add Hornug ?
I'd say there are plenty of candidates in the bottom 20th percentile, but making it one-for-one by position, Ernie Nevers only played five years. Iron man, as important as Red Grange at the gate, but honestly, if he didn't have that one 40 point game, how many would have remembered him?Hornung was an incredible quadruple threat - running, catching, throwing, kicking. The year he set the scoring record (176 points - LT2 broke it 46 years later), he also passed for two TDs. He led the league in scoring three years in a row, and then after that, was the lead blocker for a guy who finished 1st or 2nd in rushing yards five straight years.

Def one of the greatest all-around players because he excelled at so many different things. The guy was a winner.

But we know we why he's not on that list. It all goes back to the suspension.
:goodposting:

Huge gap between Reggie and Bruce seems a little off for me.Love the top 3. Barry needs to be higher
Not when you consider Reggie had his 198 sacks in only 232 games whereas it took Bruce Smith 279 games for his 200 sacks.
Impressive Bruce did that as a 3-4 DE.
I don't remember fans thinking one was so much better than the other.Both 8 times on the all-pro team and two defensive player of the year awards, all that while the other was playing. So voters were literally asking themselves Bruce or Reggie? often and it still came out even. And Smith playing for Washington when he seemed like he was eligible for social security is not how I remember him. Those two had so many sack if you took away 20-30 it wouldn't matter so I really don't see where that's a decent argument. Sorry but...

Same here.I love Namath as a Super Bowl champion and as The Icon of my favorite franchise, but he should be happy that he's anywhere on a list that includes Marino, Elway, Staubach, etc. He's not in their class.Looking at the list in its entirety, I'm mildly surprised that Marvin Harrison didn't make it, and very surprised that Largent didn't make it.I also think that Irvin being ranked as the #8 WR of all time is a stretch. Very glad to see Barry ranked ahead of Emmitt, but we all expected that.I'm a huge Rice fan, so I thought it was pretty cool that he got the #1 spot. If I was a betting man, I would've given Brown the best odds at being #1, followed by Montana, then Rice.

Largent's career with 7 pro bowls and 5 AP All Pro Selections (4 2nd teams) definitely should have gotten him on the list.
Just as two points of reference:- When Sporting News selected its 100 Greatest NFL Players in 1999, Largent was #46 on their list.- Sean Lahman's Pro Football Historical Abstract published in 2008 ranked Largent as the 4th best WR of all time.

Harrison would never make any list of elite WR's I made because he was a wimp. His routinely running out of bounds was a total joke. Factor in that Manning and the elite Colts offense MADE HIM, and he had no business sniffing the company of Moss, TO, Rice, et al.
The same could be said of Rice having both Montana And Young throwing to him/Berry - Unitas/Irvin - Aikman Then
Yes, here are the QBs for the WRs in this top 100:Rice - Montana (HOFer) and Young (HOFer)Hutson - different era... tailbacks threw the ballBerry - Unitas (HOFer)Alworth - HadlMoss - many, but including Brady (future HOFer)Warfield - Griese (HOFer)Hirsch - Van Brocklin (HOFer)Irvin - Aikman (HOFer)Ignoring Hutson due to the completely different era, the only guy on the list who didn't play with a HOF QB is Alworth, but he played in Sid Gillman's offense. And Hadl was quite good, just not a HOFer.This is quite a contrast to Largent playing several years with Zorn and then closing out his career with Dave Krieg.

Huge gap between Reggie and Bruce seems a little off for me.Love the top 3. Barry needs to be higher
Not when you consider Reggie had his 198 sacks in only 232 games whereas it took Bruce Smith 279 games for his 200 sacks.
Impressive Bruce did that as a 3-4 DE.
I don't remember fans thinking one was so much better than the other.Both 8 times on the all-pro team and two defensive player of the year awards, all that while the other was playing. So voters were literally asking themselves Bruce or Reggie? often and it still came out even. And Smith playing for Washington when he seemed like he was eligible for social security is not how I remember him. Those two had so many sack if you took away 20-30 it wouldn't matter so I really don't see where that's a decent argument. Sorry but...
My memory is that Reggie White was generally regarded as the best defensive player of his era and generally regarded as a candidate for best defensive player of all time. I watched both of their careers, and my impression is that White is in the top tier of defensive players, and Smith is at least one tier below him.

Centers63 Jim Otto 68 Mike Webster 96 Mel Hein
It's like Dermontti Dawson never played. Webster is 68 and Dawson doesn't rank / ridiculous.
It's perfectly reasonable for Dawson to be ranked below these three. And I'm not sure Dawson would even be in the top several OL candidates that didn't make it. He's not in the HOF, you know.There were only 12 OL total, which seems low. I thought Slater and Groza would make it, and Stephenson, Mix, and Roaf were other potential candidates.

As a Bears fan, I say replace the "Bears fan" portion of your statement with "uninformed fan". There are a lot of extremely intelligent Bears fans. There are also idiots, as with any fanbase. You'd get laughed off the airwaves on talk radio in Chicago with that guy's view.

It doesn't matter where Moss might end up some day; since this list was made now, it matters what his numbers are right now. As for the Moss/Manning thing, Manning would never put up with a guy who loafs as much as Moss does. Heck, he gets made at WRs who run the wrong routes; can you imagine what he would do with a guy who loafs it as much as Moss does. Brady and Moss lasted a little over two full seasons together ('08 doesn't count since Brady missed almost the entire season); Manning and Moss would not have lasted that long. Besides, this is pure speculation on both our parts, so it doesn't really matter. Players are ultimately judged on what they did do, not what they could have done. Harrison > Moss
His numbers *right now* put him ahead of Harrison in both yardage and TDs.
And? There is more to the a great player than just their numbers. Numbers is all Moss has, since he is sorely lacking in intangibles. Heck, Michael Irvin's numbers are dwarfed by numerous WRs who didn't make this list, Harrison included, so see, it is not all about numbers. I just think it is strange that you want to put a player higher based on numbers you project him to end with, rather than the numbers he actually has right now.

Ghost Rider said:
sn0mm1s said:
Ghost Rider said:
It doesn't matter where Moss might end up some day; since this list was made now, it matters what his numbers are right now. As for the Moss/Manning thing, Manning would never put up with a guy who loafs as much as Moss does. Heck, he gets made at WRs who run the wrong routes; can you imagine what he would do with a guy who loafs it as much as Moss does. Brady and Moss lasted a little over two full seasons together ('08 doesn't count since Brady missed almost the entire season); Manning and Moss would not have lasted that long. Besides, this is pure speculation on both our parts, so it doesn't really matter. Players are ultimately judged on what they did do, not what they could have done. Harrison > Moss
And? There is more to the a great player than just their numbers. Numbers is all Moss has, since he is sorely lacking in intangibles. Heck, Michael Irvin's numbers are dwarfed by numerous WRs who didn't make this list, Harrison included, so see, it is not all about numbers. I just think it is strange that you want to put a player higher based on numbers you project him to end with, rather than the numbers he actually has right now.
Sure and Moss has much more than just his stats. He draws more double coverage than probably any WR in history. He makes slot receivers look all-world. Don't discount him being the only common piece on two NFL record breaking offenses (on different teams no less). He was the best offensive weapon in a 15-1 and 16-0 team. Moss makes an impact on every play because you have to account for him. He made Culpepper look great (and set an NFL record for total yardage for a QB), he made an out of football Cunningham have the best season of his entire career at age 35, he made Jeff George look good, and he was responsible for Brady breaking the NFL TD record. Wherever this guy goes NFL records for his team and QB seem to follow.

Ghost Rider said:
sn0mm1s said:
Ghost Rider said:
It doesn't matter where Moss might end up some day; since this list was made now, it matters what his numbers are right now.

As for the Moss/Manning thing, Manning would never put up with a guy who loafs as much as Moss does. Heck, he gets made at WRs who run the wrong routes; can you imagine what he would do with a guy who loafs it as much as Moss does. Brady and Moss lasted a little over two full seasons together ('08 doesn't count since Brady missed almost the entire season); Manning and Moss would not have lasted that long. Besides, this is pure speculation on both our parts, so it doesn't really matter. Players are ultimately judged on what they did do, not what they could have done.

Harrison > Moss
Sure and Moss has much more than just his stats. He draws more double coverage than probably any WR in history. He makes slot receivers look all-world. Don't discount him being the only common piece on two NFL record breaking offenses (on different teams no less). He was the best offensive weapon in a 15-1 and 16-0 team. Moss makes an impact on every play because you have to account for him. He made Culpepper look great (and set an NFL record for total yardage for a QB), he made an out of football Cunningham have the best season of his entire career at age 35, he made Jeff George look good, and he was responsible for Brady breaking the NFL TD record. Wherever this guy goes NFL records for his team and QB seem to follow.
In support of this point, I saw Jaworski on PTI yesterday, and he said he watched film of the Vikings game last week and the Patriots double covered Moss on all but 5 (IIRC) of his plays from scrimmage. So even though he had just 1 catch for 8 yards in that game, he had a significant positive impact on the rest of the offense.

You know what else follows him? Controversy, taking plays off, and an inevitable bad ending where the team wants him gone in a hurry and can't get rid of him fast enough.

Besides, I already said that I am aware of all of his career highlights. Heck, I even said he is unstoppable when he feels like playing, but it is anyone's guess when that will be.

Heck, defenses everywhere know that all you have to do is double cover him, take him out of a game early, and he will tank it for the rest of the game. It happens all of the time. Even Cris Carter, one of his biggest defenders, said the other day that Moss is not a guy who gets pumped up to beat double coverage; it discourages him and he goes in the tank.

Also, how do you know he draws more double coverage than anyone else in NFL history? Is there a stat somewhere that shows this that I don't know about? Or is that just a hyperbolic statement that is making a player look better than he really is? If anything, he probably gets double covered a lot in recent years because teams know that that is the easiest way to take him out of a game, because he will just give up.

Bottom line: Moss over the course of his career has been a great WR, and a dominant one at times, but he is not the 2nd best WR of all-time. No how, no way.

You know what else follows him? Controversy, taking plays off, and an inevitable bad ending where the team wants him gone in a hurry and can't get rid of him fast enough. Besides, I already said that I am aware of all of his career highlights. Heck, I even said he is unstoppable when he feels like playing, but it is anyone's guess when that will be. Heck, defenses everywhere know that all you have to do is double cover him, take him out of a game early, and he will tank it for the rest of the game. It happens all of the time. Even Cris Carter, one of his biggest defenders, said the other day that Moss is not a guy who gets pumped up to beat double coverage; it discourages him and he goes in the tank. Also, how do you know he draws more double coverage than anyone else in NFL history? Is there a stat somewhere that shows this that I don't know about? Or is that just a hyperbolic statement that is making a player look better than he really is? If anything, he probably gets double covered a lot in recent years because teams know that that is the easiest way to take him out of a game, because he will just give up. Bottom line: Moss over the course of his career has been a great WR, and a dominant one at times, but he is not the 2nd best WR of all-time. No how, no way.
IMHO R.Moss is luck to even be on this list when you consider all the other great WR that have played in the NFL (Largent/Joiner/Maynard/Biletnikoff/Bobby Mitchell/Monk/Lofton/Stallworth/Swann/Charley Taylor/Andre Reed/Tim Brown/C.Carter/etc.)

Given how the voting was done, and how flashy a player Moss is when he is making plays, I suspect a guy like Moss got quite a few 10s, while guys like Marvin Harrison and Tim Brown probably got a lot of 8s and 9s, thus not getting nearly enough 10s to bump them up into the top 100. Even ex-players tend to go nutty over a flashy guy like Moss who makes big plays.

NatronIsMean said:
johnnyboy8102 said:
As a Bears fan, I say replace the "Bears fan" portion of your statement with "uninformed fan". There are a lot of extremely intelligent Bears fans. There are also idiots, as with any fanbase. You'd get laughed off the airwaves on talk radio in Chicago with that guy's view.
You are 100% right. I know their are morons in every fanbase. The majority of Bears fans I know are very well informed so I know this guy was an exception and not the norm. It still is pretty funny.

How about removing Rice from the title so as to not spoil it for those who had to record it because they couldn't watch such as myself. :popcorn:

How about removing Rice from the title so as to not spoil it for those who had to record it because they couldn't watch such as myself. :thumbup:
Eh, the smart move would have been to not look at the football forum until you had watched it. You can't expect it to be kept quiet forever on the off chance that someone hasn't seen it yet and didn't want it spoiled.

Here's the Rice spotlight I did before he was inducted into the HOF: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5473

My favorite part: So for 5 seasons, Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) started 24 games for the 49ers. In exactly a year and a half's worth of games, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for one score as well. That's an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns, or roughly the career best season for nearly every WR who has ever played the game. And, of course, only 25% of those games came during what we would typically call a wide receiver's prime. Eighteen of those 24 games that he played without Montana or Young came during Rice's first or second season, or when he was 33- or 34-years old. In '95 and '96, playing at an age when most receivers start slowing down, catching passes from Elvis Grbac, and playing with Derek Loville and Terry Kirby at RB, Rice put up numbers that could arguably pass for the best season of Cris Carter's or Steve Largent's career.

johnnyboy8102 said:
NJJets said:
johnnyboy8102 said:
Well you obviously know what you're talking about. I think that Bear fan used Namath as a red-herring and just wanted to discuss that Urlacher should be on the list over Lewis.
That guy is why Bears ownership has it over the fans; loyal and gullible is a bad combination. Urlacher wouldn't make a top 250 list. Ray Lewis is the most relevant LB of the post LT era, imo.

johnnyboy8102 said:
NJJets said:
johnnyboy8102 said:
That guy is why Bears ownership has it over the fans; loyal and gullible is a bad combination. Urlacher wouldn't make a top 250 list. Ray Lewis is the most relevant LB of the post LT era, imo.
Urlacher while he's a good player doesn't get in HOF (IMHO) Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis do which is why they were on the list and Urlacher wasn't

How about removing Rice from the title so as to not spoil it for those who had to record it because they couldn't watch such as myself. :X
:shrug: Yeah, I'll get right on that.Shame on me for not PM'ing every FBG personally to make sure they've seen the program.

I hate his schtick on the NLF network... but I think Deion Sanders should have ranked been a lot higher. Best cover corner ever... Could shut down anyone by himself... Was also one of the greatest returners ever..

Here's the Rice spotlight I did before he was inducted into the HOF: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5473

My favorite part: So for 5 seasons, Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) started 24 games for the 49ers. In exactly a year and a half's worth of games, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for one score as well. That's an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns, or roughly the career best season for nearly every WR who has ever played the game. And, of course, only 25% of those games came during what we would typically call a wide receiver's prime. Eighteen of those 24 games that he played without Montana or Young came during Rice's first or second season, or when he was 33- or 34-years old. In '95 and '96, playing at an age when most receivers start slowing down, catching passes from Elvis Grbac, and playing with Derek Loville and Terry Kirby at RB, Rice put up numbers that could arguably pass for the best season of Cris Carter's or Steve Largent's career.
That's a pretty good argument against the "Montana/Young made Rice what he was" bunch. Rice wasn't one of those guys who got a lot of jump balls thrown his way like Moss - he always was in a pattern (whether adjusted or planned). That's not to say his hands weren't otherwordly - there are probably reels and reels of highlight-catch films Rice made. It's hyperbole but it seems as if you only counted the passes he caught in stride across the middle, he'd still be one of the greats. How in the hell did he get open so often? My brother called him Caspar because he'd seemingly disappear when the ball was snapped only to reappear 20 yards downfield cradling the ball.I've been watching football since the late '60s and I've never seen anyone like Rice. I think sometimes his athletic abilities (natural talent) is overlooked or downplayed - he wasn't the fastest, but he wasn't slow either; his hand-eye coordination - if such a thing can be measured - must be off the charts. But his will to succeed, football IQ, and absolutely silly work ethic is what made him immortal.

As this thread has shown, arguments can be legitimately made at who's the greatest at any position - except one.

That's a pretty good argument against the "Montana/Young made Rice what he was" bunch. Rice wasn't one of those guys who got a lot of jump balls thrown his way like Moss - he always was in a pattern (whether adjusted or planned). That's not to say his hands weren't otherwordly - there are probably reels and reels of highlight-catch films Rice made. It's hyperbole but it seems as if you only counted the passes he caught in stride across the middle, he'd still be one of the greats. How in the hell did he get open so often? My brother called him Caspar because he'd seemingly disappear when the ball was snapped only to reappear 20 yards downfield cradling the ball.I've been watching football since the late '60s and I've never seen anyone like Rice. I think sometimes his athletic abilities (natural talent) is overlooked or downplayed - he wasn't the fastest, but he wasn't slow either; his hand-eye coordination - if such a thing can be measured - must be off the charts. But his will to succeed, football IQ, and absolutely silly work ethic is what made him immortal.

As this thread has shown, arguments can be legitimately made at who's the greatest at any position - except one.
Good post.I love the last point, but I feel compelled to throw LT in there.

Much like Rice, there's been many pretenders and players that had a nice few years, but no OLB was better than LT.

BTW that fumble in the playoffs by Rice when he's (relatively) alone and headed for a sure-bet touchdown is still one of sports more fascinating things to wonder if luck or religion or somesuch is at all involved in the outcome. He was so good, so perfect without mistakes that is seems fairly unbelievable that it happened.

Did anybody think Brown's obvious dig at Franco Harris was below the belt? Sheesh his detest of Harris is running near 30 years. It almost reminds me of Frazier and Ali.... :thumbdown:

Did anybody think Brown's obvious dig at Franco Harris was below the belt? Sheesh his detest of Harris is running near 30 years. It almost reminds me of Frazier and Ali.... :shrug:
Yeah, it annoyed me quite a bit that the NN left that in. There was no need for the insult. I would have been much happier if they didn't rank him as the #1 RB.

Users who are viewing this thread