What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (1 Viewer)

For those who missed the post-show discussion.

Jerry Rice got a "10" from 47 of the 48 experts. He got a 9 from Pat Summerall.

Steve Sabol called Summerall to ask him why Jerry only got a 9. Summerall said he didn't give anyone a 10.

:thumbup:

Steve Sabol called Summerall to ask him why Jerry only got a 9. Summerall said he didn't give anyone a 10.

That is a stupid stance, and it's one that has lessened the credibility of the MLB HOF voters.

I was only considering 1st team all pros (as listed on PFR).

No Biggie. I was just considering total all pro selections.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is a stupid stance, and it's one that has lessened the credibility of the MLB HOF voters.
Yep. You're not going to vote Albert Pujols in on the first ballot just because you've never voted ANYONE in on the first ballot?Good for you.... come and get a pat on the head.

92 - Michael Irvin - WR87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR71 - Paul Warfield - WR65 - Randy Moss - WR38 - Lance Alworth - WR36 - Raymond Berry - WR9 - Don Hutson - WR1 - Jerry Rice - WR
I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :hifive:

92 - Michael Irvin - WR87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR71 - Paul Warfield - WR65 - Randy Moss - WR38 - Lance Alworth - WR36 - Raymond Berry - WR9 - Don Hutson - WR1 - Jerry Rice - WR
I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :hifive:
If someone has time to reorder the list in Post #1, it would be fun to discuss the group of players at each position.RE: Irvin - I'm not sure what you are trying to say; I saw everyone except Crazy Legs and Hutson, and think he's certainly not better than anyone in the top four. I guess you could move him past Warfield and Moss.Is Largent sixth? Honestly I'm not sure, but I think WR is one fascinating list to discuss. I always thought of him as a steady compiler, never really the best at his position, but a perrenial pro bowler who was always in the top six in the league for any given year.Never led the league in receptions or TDsOnce All-ProTwice led the league in yardageHe caught something every week for 11+ years, and had all the career records when he was done. But honestly, he was NEVER the best at his position for any one season.

I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :fishing:
If someone has time to reorder the list in Post #1, it would be fun to discuss the group of players at each position.RE: Irvin - I'm not sure what you are trying to say; I saw everyone except Crazy Legs and Hutson, and think he's certainly not better than anyone in the top four. I guess you could move him past Warfield and Moss.
I believe JWB is taking issue with Irvin being on the list, period.

92 - Michael Irvin - WR

87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR

71 - Paul Warfield - WR

65 - Randy Moss - WR

38 - Lance Alworth - WR

36 - Raymond Berry - WR

9 - Don Hutson - WR

1 - Jerry Rice - WR
I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.

2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.

3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.

4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :fishing:
If someone has time to reorder the list in Post #1, it would be fun to discuss the group of players at each position.RE: Irvin - I'm not sure what you are trying to say; I saw everyone except Crazy Legs and Hutson, and think he's certainly not better than anyone in the top four. I guess you could move him past Warfield and Moss.

Is Largent sixth? Honestly I'm not sure, but I think WR is one fascinating list to discuss. I always thought of him as a steady compiler, never really the best at his position, but a perrenial pro bowler who was always in the top six in the league for any given year.

Never led the league in receptions or TDs

Once All-Pro

Twice led the league in yardage

He caught something every week for 11+ years, and had all the career records when he was done. But honestly, he was NEVER the best at his position for any one season.
Seems like the fact that he led the league in receiving yards in two seasons is in conflict with your opinion. Name a better WR from 1978-1986 who had as many good years as Largent? No one is really close to his production.

The List had 14 Linebackers on it. I know it is hard to compare OLB and MLB but here are their 14:

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

The most glaring omission in my eyes is Bill George. I would rank my "next 11" as: (Not sure on the order)

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

Those are my Top 40 Linebackers of all time.

92 - Michael Irvin - WR

87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR

71 - Paul Warfield - WR

65 - Randy Moss - WR

38 - Lance Alworth - WR

36 - Raymond Berry - WR

9 - Don Hutson - WR

1 - Jerry Rice - WR
I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.

2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.

3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.

4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :lmao:

Is Largent sixth? Honestly I'm not sure, but I think WR is one fascinating list to discuss. I always thought of him as a steady compiler, never really the best at his position, but a perrenial pro bowler who was always in the top six in the league for any given year.

Once All-Pro

He caught something every week for 11+ years, and had all the career records when he was done. But honestly, he was NEVER the best at his position for any one season.
Seems like the fact that he led the league in receiving yards in two seasons is in conflict with your opinion. Name a better WR from 1978-1986 who had as many good years as Largent? No one is really close to his production.
I said he was a compiler; at no time was he considered the best at his position, but he did rack up stats. He was always in the top 6-8 WRs in the league, but never in the discussion for best or 2nd best or top 3. But he broke the consecutive games with a catch record (Alworth had it...might have been Carmichaels briefly...anyway), got to the end, and HOLY COW this guy has every league career record.Rice was dominant. Don Hutson was Ruthian. Raymond Berry took it to a whole other level (that 631 stood for a long, long time). Bambi was surreal. All those guys in the top four were really, really special.

Steve Largent was a great player, and he racked up a ton of impressive stats, steady, durable, et al. But if you look at any one season during his prime, somebody was always considered better. John Jefferson, James Lofton, Wes Chandler, Steve Watson (!), Roy Green, Art Monk, John Stallworth, Stanley Morgan, Mark Clayton, Mark Duper, Jerry Rice, et al.

He had a better career than every one of those guys except the last one on the list. He outlasted everyone. That counts for something.

Have at it:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1978/allpro.htm

That's the 1978 All Pro team, with stats. At the top is a link to "Previous Season / Next Season". Go through every year. Largent is always one of the best, but honestly, he was never considered the best. But he was consistently good for like 11-12 years, and that is impressive in a different way.

Break down of rankings by position. I was too lazy sort out the OL and LBs. Feel free to point out any errors and I will correct them.

30 "Night Train" Lane CB

34 Deion Sanders CB

41 Rod Woodson CB

44 Mel Blount CB

49 Mike Haynes CB

64 Herb Adderley CB

66 Willie Brown CB

75 Darrell Green CB

7 Reggie White DE

15 Deacon Jones DE

31 Bruce Smith DE

39 Gino Marchetti DE

86 Willie Davis DE

98 Lee Roy Selmon DE

99 Michael Strahan DE

13 Joe Greene DT

26 Bob Lilly DT

27 Merlin Olsen DT

43 Alan Page DT

62 Randy White DT

3 Lawrence Taylor LB

10 **** Butkus LB

18 Ray Lewis LB

29 Jack Lambert LB

35 Chuck Bednarik LB

47 Ray Nitschke LB

53 Willie Lanier LB

57 Mike Singletary LB

60 Jack Ham LB

69 Bobby Bell LB

82 Ted Hendricks LB

84 Joe Schmidt LB

93 Sam Huff LB

97 Derrick Brooks LB

12 Anthony Munoz OL

24 John Hannah OL

32 Jim Parker OL

54 Forrest Gregg OL

56 Gene Upshaw OL

63 Jim Otto OL

68 Mike Webster OL

72 Jonathan Ogden OL

76 Art Shell OL

78 Bruce Matthews OL

95 Larry Allen OL

96 Mel Hein OL

4 Joe Montana QB

6 Johnny Unitas QB

8 Peyton Manning QB

14 Sammy Baugh QB

16 Otto Graham QB

20 Brett Favre QB

21 Tom Brady QB

23 John Elway QB

25 Dan Marino QB

33 Sid Luckman QB

46 Roger Staubach QB

50 Terry Bradshaw QB

51 Bart Starr QB

80 Troy Aikman QB

81 Steve Young QB

83 Norm Van Brocklin QB

90 Kurt Warner QB

91 Fran Tarkenton QB

100 Joe Namath QB

2 Jim Brown RB

5 Walter Payton RB

17 Barry Sanders RB

19 Bronko Nagurski RB

22 Gale Sayers RB

28 Emmitt Smith RB

37 Jim Thorpe RB

40 O.J. Simpson RB

48 Red Grange RB

52 Eric Dickerson RB

55 Earl Campbell RB

58 Steve Van Buren RB

61 LaDainian Tomlinson RB

70 Marshall Faulk RB

74 Marion Motley RB

77 Tony Dorsett RB

85 Marcus Allen RB

89 Ernie Nevers RB

94 Lenny Moore RB

11 Ronnie Lott S

79 Emlen Tunnell S

88 Ed Reed S

42 John Mackey TE

45 Tony Gonzalez TE

59 Mike Ditka TE

67 Kellen Winslow, Sr. TE

73 Ozzie Newsome TE

1 Jerry Rice WR

9 Don Hutson WR

36 Raymond Berry WR

38 Lance Alworth WR

65 Randy Moss WR

71 Paul Warfield WR

87 Elroy Hirsch WR

92 Michael Irvin WR

Brown > Barry simply because he's the only RB in history to average 100+ yards per game
Poor argument IMO. Brown played with several HOFers, and regularly played behind multiple Pro Bowl blockers, neither of which were true for Sanders. He also played in a completely different era, which makes it an apples to oranges comparison when simply using stats with no adjustments.
I didn't see Brown but for whatever reruns or old tapes that have popped up over the years.I did watch Barry.Few people have ever taken a football field and garnered as much attention in such an awe inspired way as Barry did. He was part of some decent offenses, but when the Lions stunk it was same ol' Barry. I once made fun of a NY radio announcer reusing a phrase he said about LT in regards to Barry-he's the guy that NFL players tune in to watch highlights of. In hindsight he's probably not wrong on either. Now, of course, I wasn't interviewing players back then it's just that's how it felt. That statement characterizes it well. It's not to say Montana or Rice or whomever didn't make their fair share of fabulous plays or that Barry did it every week-it did, though, seem like he would.Occasionally when I'm watching a poor OL failing play after play to open up a hole for their RB, I think of Barry running up and down the field like some schoolyard kid and somehow finding an opening to move the ball forward. For me there's something about Barry. Tomlinson can score 4 touchdowns or LJ n Priest can run for 200 behind that awesome line but no one has been so awe inspiring. Bringing up Barry....playing for bad teams isn't supposed to affect eligibility for anything but I think it does a little bit. Barry makes me think of Hardy Nickerson. When the Lions played the Bucs, there were 20 other players on the field but it seemed like Hardy versus Barry when the Lions had the ball and it was great to watch. I don't think Hardy gets the love he deserves.

I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :rolleyes:
I believe JWB is taking issue with Irvin being on the list, period.
:lmao:

Jim Thorpe... I'd like to hear some opinions of his ranking if anyone feels like it. I've always found reading about him to be quite interesting

The List had 14 Linebackers on it. I know it is hard to compare OLB and MLB but here are their 14:

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

The most glaring omission in my eyes is Bill George. I would rank my "next 11" as: (Not sure on the order)

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

Nice list!I was thinking George Webster should be on there (made the all-time AFL team), but then I remembered he tailed off after his first 3 seasons because of injuries.

Some old school guys who deserve mention (if only because they were favorites growin up): Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Ken Norton, Jack Reynolds, Andy Russell, and Wayne Walker.

Know what they all had in common? Fourteen years or more in the NFL, and multiple Pro Bowls.

92 - Michael Irvin - WR

87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR

71 - Paul Warfield - WR

65 - Randy Moss - WR

38 - Lance Alworth - WR

36 - Raymond Berry - WR

9 - Don Hutson - WR

1 - Jerry Rice - WR

4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :lmao:

Once All-Pro

I said he was a compiler; at no time was he considered the best at his position, but he did rack up stats. He was always in the top 6-8 WRs in the league, but never in the discussion for best or 2nd best or top 3. But he broke the consecutive games with a catch record (Alworth had it...might have been Carmichaels briefly...anyway), got to the end, and HOLY COW this guy has every league career record.Rice was dominant. Don Hutson was Ruthian. Raymond Berry took it to a whole other level (that 631 stood for a long, long time). Bambi was surreal. All those guys in the top four were really, really special.

Steve Largent was a great player, and he racked up a ton of impressive stats, steady, durable, et al. But if you look at any one season during his prime, somebody was always considered better. John Jefferson, James Lofton, Wes Chandler, Steve Watson (!), Roy Green, Art Monk, John Stallworth, Stanley Morgan, Mark Clayton, Mark Duper, Jerry Rice, et al.

He had a better career than every one of those guys except the last one on the list. He outlasted everyone. That counts for something.

Have at it:

That's the 1978 All Pro team, with stats. At the top is a link to "Previous Season / Next Season". Go through every year. Largent is always one of the best, but honestly, he was never considered the best. But he was consistently good for like 11-12 years, and that is impressive in a different way.
I disagree, I think a lot of people, probably a majority considered Steve Largent the best WR in the NFL in that time period. I think you're giving too much stock to single seasons, and need to look at groups of 2, 3, or 4 seasons and like I said Largent was the best. Best route running, best catching, most productive consistently and most famous WR in his time, in my opinion.

I would also put Moss above every receiver not named Rice and Hutson.
The same Randy Moss who is on record as only playing when he wants to, and the same Randy Moss who just got dumped by two teams in the same season? That Randy Moss?
Yep, that Randy Moss. Are you really telling me that this season invalidates his entire body of work? He will be probably be 2nd in every receiving category when he is done (providing no major injuries) and he was part of 2 NFL record scoring offenses. Individually and statistically the guy makes a far greater impact on a team than anyone on that list other than Hutson and Rice.

I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :lmao:
I agree that Largent should have been on this list somewhere as he was steady and dependable every week (but then it leads to who would get bumped for him)I also agree that if TO was left off for his attitude (and he has mostly better numbers than Moss) then why wasn't moss left off for the same reasonMarvin Harrison is another head scratcher as he had two years in Indy before Peyton got there (1702 yds 14 td's without a franchise QB) so he always had the talent

The same Randy Moss who is on record as only playing when he wants to, and the same Randy Moss who just got dumped by two teams in the same season? That Randy Moss?
Yep, that Randy Moss. Are you really telling me that this season invalidates his entire body of work? He will be probably be 2nd in every receiving category when he is done (providing no major injuries) and he was part of 2 NFL record scoring offenses. Individually and statistically the guy makes a far greater impact on a team than anyone on that list other than Hutson and Rice.
I never said that this season invalidates his entire body of work. Yes, at his best, Moss was an unstoppable force, but when he loafs it, which he has done over the years many times, he is easily stoppable...simply because he never gets started. I am sorry, but the 2nd best player of all-time at his position is not someone who has pulled a lot of the crap that Moss has. It is an insult to a guy like Marvin Harrison, who was as prolific and good as Moss in the same era, but always worked his butt off, that he is not even on this list, while a malcontent like Moss is.

I disagree, I think a lot of people, probably a majority considered Steve Largent the best WR in the NFL in that time period. I think you're giving too much stock to single seasons, and need to look at groups of 2, 3, or 4 seasons and like I said Largent was the best. Best route running, best catching, most productive consistently and most famous WR in his time, in my opinion.
:shrug: Dude -

The majority of NFL fans didn't even know he was. Dead serious. They were West Coast pre-ESPN dominance never on MNF and rarely good. Nobody played FF back then so nobody scoured stats like they were Bill James.

Every year the Honolulu would roll around and we'd be like, "Oh yeah, that cat in Seattle...he's good, right?"

Guess its a perception thing, and I am underrating him. But please, I promise you, nobody outside of the pacific northwest thought he was the best contemporaneously.

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

Nice list!I was thinking George Webster should be on there (made the all-time AFL team), but then I remembered he tailed off after his first 3 seasons because of injuries.

Some old school guys who deserve mention (if only because they were favorites growin up): Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Ken Norton, Jack Reynolds, Andy Russell, and Wayne Walker.

Know what they all had in common? Fourteen years or more in the NFL, and multiple Pro Bowls.
George Webster, Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Wayne Walker, Jack Reynolds, Greg Lloyd, Cornelius Bennett, Joe Fortunato, Phil Villapiano, and Chris Spielman would be my next 11. We just did a top 50 (51) all time linebacker list..lol

I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.

1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.

4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :shrug:

Once All-Pro

Have at it:

From Wikipedia:
At the time of his retirement, he held six major career pass receiving records – most receptions (819), most consecutive games with a reception (177), most yards on receptions (13,089), most touchdowns on receptions (100), most seasons with 50 or more receptions (10) and most seasons with 1,000 yards or more on receptions (8).
And you have to put that into context. He played his entire career for Seahawks, and his first season coincided with the Seahawks' first season as an expansion team. They were terrible for much of his career, which negatively impacted Largent's recognition and honors/awards. For example, his QB for the first 7 1/2 seasons of his career was Jim Zorn... who made 0 Pro Bowls in his career and had a career 67 QB rating. Dave Krieg did make the Pro Bowl once in Largent's career, though... that's it. Meanwhile, the guys you named above played with much better QBs in general.

I never said that this season invalidates his entire body of work. Yes, at his best, Moss was an unstoppable force, but when he loafs it, which he has done over the years many times, he is easily stoppable...simply because he never gets started. I am sorry, but the 2nd best player of all-time at his position is not someone who has pulled a lot of the crap that Moss has. It is an insult to a guy like Marvin Harrison, who was as prolific and good as Moss in the same era, but always worked his butt off, that he is not even on this list, while a malcontent like Moss is.
I agree Marvin Harrison not being on this list is a crying shame (2nd in receptions(Behind Only Rice)/6th in yards (Moss And TO are the only active players above him as are Tim Brown,Isaac Bruce And Jerry Rice)/5th in receiving TD's (Rice/Moss/TO/C.Carter)

I'll have some more comments when I have more time, but wanted to start with WRs.1. This list ranks Michael Irvin as the 8th best WR of all time. That is laughable.2. I can only assume Harrison was left off for some combination of (a) voters thinking of him as being "made" by Manning and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.3. I can only assume Owens was left off for some combination of (a) voters not liking his character/attitude issues and (b) lack of compelling postseason performances.4. It is absolutely unforgivable to have left Steve Largent off this list. IMO he should have been no worse than 6th among WRs. :shrug:
I agree that Largent should have been on this list somewhere as he was steady and dependable every week (but then it leads to who would get bumped for him)I also agree that if TO was left off for his attitude (and he has mostly better numbers than Moss) then why wasn't moss left off for the same reasonMarvin Harrison is another head scratcher as he had two years in Indy before Peyton got there (1702 yds 14 td's without a franchise QB) so he always had the talent
I would remove Dorsett, Allen, and Nevers from the RB list and add in Harrison, Owens, and Largent. Allen had *1* great season and about 20 seasons playing like a 30 year old LT2 limping his way along with the Chargers. Dorsett never led the league in anything and is the only RB with any significant number of carries to have as many fumbles as he has TDs. Nevers played a grand total of 5 seasons in the 1920s even if it was both ways.

The majority of NFL fans didn't even know he was. Dead serious. They were West Coast pre-ESPN dominance never on MNF and rarely good. Nobody played FF back then so nobody scoured stats like they were Bill James.

Every year the Honolulu would roll around and we'd be like, "Oh yeah, that cat in Seattle...he's good, right?"

Guess its a perception thing, and I am underrating him. But please, I promise you, nobody outside of the pacific northwest thought he was the best contemporaneously.
Yes, you are underrating him. I am not from the Pacific Northwest and never lived there, but I thought he was the best WR in the NFL for several years.

You're just way off on this. I'm 37 and grew up in the midwest. There was Steve Largent and the Seahawks were good and on TV plenty, then there was Art Monk, and then there was Jerry Rice. No one knew or cared about John Jefferson or Stanley Morgan or anyone else you listed (except maybe James Lofton but not thought of as better than Largent). Largent was the best in his day and that's just how it was. Doesn't have to do with scouring stats.

Break down of rankings by position. I was too lazy sort out the OL and LBs. Feel free to point out any errors and I will correct them.30 "Night Train" Lane CB34 Deion Sanders CB41 Rod Woodson CB44 Mel Blount CB49 Mike Haynes CB64 Herb Adderley CB66 Willie Brown CB75 Darrell Green CB7 Reggie White DE15 Deacon Jones DE31 Bruce Smith DE39 Gino Marchetti DE86 Willie Davis DE98 Lee Roy Selmon DE99 Michael Strahan DE13 Joe Greene DT26 Bob Lilly DT27 Merlin Olsen DT43 Alan Page DT62 Randy White DT3 Lawrence Taylor LB10 **** Butkus LB18 Ray Lewis LB29 Jack Lambert LB35 Chuck Bednarik LB47 Ray Nitschke LB53 Willie Lanier LB57 Mike Singletary LB60 Jack Ham LB69 Bobby Bell LB82 Ted Hendricks LB84 Joe Schmidt LB93 Sam Huff LB97 Derrick Brooks LB12 Anthony Munoz OL24 John Hannah OL32 Jim Parker OL54 Forrest Gregg OL56 Gene Upshaw OL63 Jim Otto OL68 Mike Webster OL72 Jonathan Ogden OL76 Art Shell OL78 Bruce Matthews OL95 Larry Allen OL96 Mel Hein OL4 Joe Montana QB6 Johnny Unitas QB8 Peyton Manning QB14 Sammy Baugh QB16 Otto Graham QB20 Brett Favre QB21 Tom Brady QB23 John Elway QB25 Dan Marino QB33 Sid Luckman QB46 Roger Staubach QB50 Terry Bradshaw QB51 Bart Starr QB80 Troy Aikman QB81 Steve Young QB83 Norm Van Brocklin QB90 Kurt Warner QB91 Fran Tarkenton QB100 Joe Namath QB2 Jim Brown RB5 Walter Payton RB17 Barry Sanders RB19 Bronko Nagurski RB22 Gale Sayers RB28 Emmitt Smith RB37 Jim Thorpe RB40 O.J. Simpson RB48 Red Grange RB52 Eric Dickerson RB55 Earl Campbell RB58 Steve Van Buren RB61 LaDainian Tomlinson RB70 Marshall Faulk RB74 Marion Motley RB77 Tony Dorsett RB85 Marcus Allen RB89 Ernie Nevers RB94 Lenny Moore RB11 Ronnie Lott S79 Emlen Tunnell S88 Ed Reed S42 John Mackey TE45 Tony Gonzalez TE59 Mike Ditka TE67 Kellen Winslow, Sr. TE73 Ozzie Newsome TE1 Jerry Rice WR9 Don Hutson WR36 Raymond Berry WR38 Lance Alworth WR65 Randy Moss WR71 Paul Warfield WR87 Elroy Hirsch WR92 Michael Irvin WR
Separated the LB's and the OLOLB3 Lawrence Taylor 35 Chuck Bednarik 60 Jack Ham 69 Bobby Bell 82 Ted Hendricks 97 Derrick Brooks MLB10 **** Butkus 18 Ray Lewis 29 Jack Lambert 47 Ray Nitschke 53 Willie Lanier 57 Mike Singletary 84 Joe Schmidt 93 Sam Huff Centers63 Jim Otto 68 Mike Webster 96 Mel Hein Guards24 John Hannah 56 Gene Upshaw 78 Bruce Matthews 95 Larry Allen Tackles12 Anthony Munoz 32 Jim Parker 54 Forrest Gregg 72 Jonathan Ogden 76 Art Shell

A loafing Moss is an offensive supercharger and still most likely going to be 2nd in every major receiving category. Harrison was good but not nearly as good as Moss. Give Moss Manning through the prime of his career and I am pretty sure there would be zero debate between Moss and everyone not named Rice.

You're just way off on this. I'm 37 and grew up in the midwest. There was Steve Largent and the Seahawks were good and on TV plenty, then there was Art Monk, and then there was Jerry Rice. No one knew or cared about John Jefferson or Stanley Morgan or anyone else you listed (except maybe James Lofton but not thought of as better than Largent). Largent was the best in his day and that's just how it was. Doesn't have to do with scouring stats.
I completely agree. *Everyone* who followed football knew Largent was great.

:lmao: Dude -

Yes, you are underrating him. I am not from the Pacific Northwest and never lived there, but I thought he was the best WR in the NFL for several years.
The second half of his career, sure. But not the first half (at least as I remember it).Too bad Zorn coached the Redskins, now everybody just remembers him as a dufus. He was a pretty fun QB back in the day. They weren't that good (well, they were A LOT better than Tampa Bay under McKay), but Zorn scrambled around and was always chucking deep balls. He may not have been a pro bowler, but he was competent (top 10-15ish).

PFR has that 'similar by age' feature at the bottom of the player pages. Zorn was the starting QB Largent's first six years. Here is who he compares favorably with at that stage:

Season 6 Jim Kelly*, Troy Aikman*, Aaron Brooks, Ben Roethlisberger, Steve Grogan, Ken Anderson, Warren Moon*, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff Garcia, Joe Namath*
In Largent's first seven years, he made 3 pro bowls (0 All Pro). He made four straight after he hit 30. Def was a late bloomer recognition wise, yet his production years 2-6 is slightly better than years 8-12.Anyway, should be on the list, but I still don't see a compelling argument to have him very high up.

A loafing Moss is an offensive supercharger and still most likely going to be 2nd in every major receiving category. Harrison was good but not nearly as good as Moss. Give Moss Manning through the prime of his career and I am pretty sure there would be zero debate between Moss and everyone not named Rice.
Biggest problem with moss is the Me Me Me attitude he has (How many rings does he have) Harrison was always TEAM First (How many rings does he have)

You're just way off on this. I'm 37 and grew up in the midwest. There was Steve Largent and the Seahawks were good and on TV plenty
So you were 3 years old when Largent was a rookie...and 5 when he made his first pro bowl.OK, you're right, he was really, really famous back in the late 70s.

Biggest problem with moss is the Me Me Me attitude he has (How many rings does he have) Harrison was always TEAM First (How many rings does he have)
Their attitudes have zero bearing on how many rings they had. Are you really arguing that the Pats lost the SB because Moss had a me me me attitude? They lost due to one of the luckiest throws in NFL history combined with a ton of extra clock stoppages.

Largent's career with 7 pro bowls and 5 AP All Pro Selections (4 2nd teams) definitely should have gotten him on the list.

You're just way off on this. I'm 37 and grew up in the midwest. There was Steve Largent and the Seahawks were good and on TV plenty
So you were 3 years old when Largent was a rookie...and 5 when he made his first pro bowl.OK, you're right, he was really, really famous back in the late 70s.
early and mid 80's. He broke all sorts of records and announcers would rave about him every game he played.

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

George Webster, Tom Jackson, Lee Roy Jordan, Clay Matthews, Wayne Walker, Jack Reynolds, Greg Lloyd, Cornelius Bennett, Joe Fortunato, Phil Villapiano, and Chris Spielman would be my next 11. We just did a top 50 (51) all time linebacker list..lol
Ha! That's awesome, thanks.Nobody remembers Wayne Walker, he started the year after Detroit won its last NFL Championship *(1958-72). Never missed a game. Used to be their FG kicker for years. Anyway, I met him at a charity basketball game. Hard to believe now, but back then the Lions would barnstorm across the state playing exhibition basketball games. It was a lot of Globetrotters type schtick. They played a group of townies (ex- local jocks and teachers), and he pulled me out of the stands during the first half to shoot a free throw. I made it, and they won by a single point.

That was back in the day when guys all had off season jobs. Can you imagine an NFL team putting together a charity basketball team that spent months traveling around by bus playing in high school gyms?

early and mid 80's. He broke all sorts of records and announcers would rave about him every game he played.
Yep.Sorry, I was being a bit obtuse. His best years (1977-81) he wasn't that well known. After the strike season, he def got a lot of recognition (1983-87). Right around the time Zorn got phased out for Kreig.

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. **** Butkus

3. Ray Lewis

4. Jack Lambert

5. Chuck Bednarik

6. Ray Nitschke

7. Willie Lanier

8. Mike Singletary

9. Jack Ham

10. Bobby Bell

11. Ted Hendricks

12. Joe Schmidt

13. Sam Huff

14. Derrick Brooks

*Bill George

*Nick Buoniconti

*Derrick Thomas

*Harry Carson

*Dave Wilcox

*Andre Tippett

*Rickey Jackson

*Junior Seau

*Kevin Greene

*Randy Gradishar

*Andy Russell

Honorable Mention

*Chris Hanburger

*Maxie Baughan

*Robert Brazile

*Billy Bergey

*Chuck Howley

*Isiah Robertson

*Larry Grantham

*Zach Thomas

*Hardy Nickerson

*Sam Mills

*Pat Swilling

*Mike Curtis

*Joe Fortunato

*Karl Mecklenburg

*Les Richter

Ha! That's awesome, thanks.Nobody remembers Wayne Walker, he started the year after Detroit won its last NFL Championship *(1958-72). Never missed a game. Used to be their FG kicker for years. Anyway, I met him at a charity basketball game. Hard to believe now, but back then the Lions would barnstorm across the state playing exhibition basketball games. It was a lot of Globetrotters type schtick. They played a group of townies (ex- local jocks and teachers), and he pulled me out of the stands during the first half to shoot a free throw. I made it, and they won by a single point.

That was back in the day when guys all had off season jobs. Can you imagine an NFL team putting together a charity basketball team that spent months traveling around by bus playing in high school gyms?

That is a great story. That WOULD NEVER happen in today's NFL. You can hardly get some players to interact with fans!

I paused the Roundtable discussion show and the ballot was Every player in the HOF plus these players who are not in the HOF:

Larry Allen

Morten Anderson

Tom Brady

Derrick Brooks

Chris Carter

Brian Dawkins

Dermontti Dawson

Alan Faneca

Marshall Faulk

Brett Favre

Tony Gonzalez

Ray Guy

Marvin Harrison

Walter Jones

Jerry Kramer

Ray Lewis

Peyton Manning

Jim Marshall

Randy Moss

Jonathan Ogden

Terrell Owens

Ed Reed

Deion Sanders

Warren Sapp

Shannon Sharpe

Michael Strahan

Steve Tasker

Jason Taylor

LaDainian Tomlinson

Adam Vinatieri

Hines Ward

Kurt Warner

Anyone else find it weird that Seau wasn't on the ballot? I know there was a Write In area but still.

It doesn't matter where Moss might end up some day; since this list was made now, it matters what his numbers are right now. As for the Moss/Manning thing, Manning would never put up with a guy who loafs as much as Moss does. Heck, he gets made at WRs who run the wrong routes; can you imagine what he would do with a guy who loafs it as much as Moss does. Brady and Moss lasted a little over two full seasons together ('08 doesn't count since Brady missed almost the entire season); Manning and Moss would not have lasted that long. Besides, this is pure speculation on both our parts, so it doesn't really matter. Players are ultimately judged on what they did do, not what they could have done.

Harrison > Moss

It doesn't matter where Moss might end up some day; since this list was made now, it matters what his numbers are right now. As for the Moss/Manning thing, Manning would never put up with a guy who loafs as much as Moss does. Heck, he gets made at WRs who run the wrong routes; can you imagine what he would do with a guy who loafs it as much as Moss does. Brady and Moss lasted a little over two full seasons together ('08 doesn't count since Brady missed almost the entire season); Manning and Moss would not have lasted that long. Besides, this is pure speculation on both our parts, so it doesn't really matter. Players are ultimately judged on what they did do, not what they could have done. Harrison > Moss
His numbers *right now* put him ahead of Harrison in both yardage and TDs.

^ Wow, I didn't even notice Harrison was missing.
:lmao: I meant to add that as well. Hard to believe, but it seems clear the list is skewed toward guys with lots of rings and/or post-season exploits.

Bobby Layne had three rings. WTF??!!!!

ETA: head scratcher
Harrison would never make any list of elite WR's I made because he was a wimp. His routinely running out of bounds was a total joke. Factor in that Manning and the elite Colts offense MADE HIM, and he had no business sniffing the company of Moss, TO, Rice, et al.Watching the Don Hutson footage had me HOWLING, though! Yeah, Don Hutson was probably pretty fast. But my GOD can anyone imagine what Randy Moss would have done to those lead footed ALL WHITE DB's? Watching Hutson made me think about Grisham's book about Playing for Pizza about how somebody with talent stood out amongs the average rec league guy. Not sure how anyone would project these people into an argument amongst modern players who are the elite athletes in the history of the human race...

Harrison would never make any list of elite WR's I made because he was a wimp. His routinely running out of bounds was a total joke. Factor in that Manning and the elite Colts offense MADE HIM, and he had no business sniffing the company of Moss, TO, Rice, et al.
The same could be said of Rice having both Montana And Young throwing to him/Berry - Unitas/Irvin - Aikman Then

Users who are viewing this thread