What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (1 Viewer)

I remember in the Green Bay/N.E. Super Bowl, Reggie White totally abused Max Lane. IIRC, he was lined up at LDE, over Lane who was the RT. Did Reggie always play on that side, or would he switch to RDE depending on the matchup? The reason I ask is, I would pay cash money for a game tape of White vs. Munoz.

:thumbup:

My Final 10

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Don Hutson

Lawrence Taylor

D1ck Butkus

Reggie White
It would be quite an upset if those aren't the exact ten. I'd rank them like this:1) Brown

2) Rice

3) Montana

4) Taylor

5) Unitas

6) Manning

7) White

8) Payton

9) Hutson

10) Butkus
Yeah, I don't think there's any question that those are the final 10. Of course, opinions are not unanimous on Butkus.

My Final 10

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Don Hutson

Lawrence Taylor

D1ck Butkus

Reggie White
It would be quite an upset if those aren't the exact ten. I'd rank them like this:1) Brown

2) Rice

3) Montana

4) Taylor

5) Unitas

6) Manning

7) White

8) Payton

9) Hutson

10) Butkus
Yeah, I don't think there's any question that those are the final 10. Of course, opinions are not unanimous on Butkus.
I would have put Ray Lewis ahead of Butkus. This list is showing me that no matter what any other MLB EVER does he will not unseat Butkus. Lewis has him edged in everything including longevity and still hasn't passed him according to this list.

It would be great if PFR does a top 100 list of their own.

My Final 10

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Don Hutson

Lawrence Taylor

D1ck Butkus

Reggie White

2) Rice

3) Montana

4) Taylor

5) Unitas

6) Manning

7) White

8) Payton

9) Hutson

10) Butkus
I would have put Ray Lewis ahead of Butkus. This list is showing me that no matter what any other MLB EVER does he will not unseat Butkus. Lewis has him edged in everything including longevity and still hasn't passed him according to this list.

The same can be said for Jim Brown.

I would have put Ray Lewis ahead of Butkus.

This list is showing me that no matter what any other MLB EVER does he will not unseat Butkus. Lewis has him edged in everything including longevity and still hasn't passed him according to this list.
In that same vein, it's silly to suggest that Adrian Peterson is not already one of the 100 greatest NFL players ever.

This list is showing me that no matter what any other MLB EVER does he will not unseat Butkus. Lewis has him edged in everything including longevity and still hasn't passed him according to this list.
In that same vein, it's silly to suggest that Adrian Peterson is not already one of the 100 greatest NFL players ever.
Let him play a few more years first. He definitely has the potential - but not the longevity.

Let him play a few more years first. He definitely has the potential - but not the longevity.
I don't care if he only played 8 games. You can't convince me that there have been 100 "greater" players in NFL history.

My Final 10

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Don Hutson

Lawrence Taylor

D1ck Butkus

Reggie White

2) Rice

3) Montana

4) Taylor

5) Unitas

6) Manning

7) White

8) Payton

9) Hutson

10) Butkus

Similar, but not the same. IMO, Ray Lewis is the best LB ever, and i dont think it is even that close. Jim Brown dominated on a Babe Ruth level. The only two guys who can even be mentioned in the same breath as Jim Brown are Barry, and Bo Jackson had he stayed healthy. I think AD is a notch below the three.

I don't care if he only played 8 games. You can't convince me that there have been 100 "greater" players in NFL history.
Really? Where would you put him on an all-time RB list?

Based on talent alone? Very, very high. I'm gonna have to sleep on the RBs I'd put above him, but it won't be a long list.

Based on talent alone? Very, very high. I'm gonna have to sleep on the RBs I'd put above him, but it won't be a long list.
:lmao: How is that going to help?

Peyton "choker" Manning in the first 10You gotta be kidding me........
Totally agree. How is he any different than Favre? Big stats, MVPs, consecutive game streak, one super bowl, and history of not showing up in a big game. Dont get me wrong, Manning is great, but he belongs in the 11-20 group right next to Favre.

:thumbup: How is that going to help?
:headbang: I don't get to think on it a bit? That's not exactly an easy question.

Last week, Greg Cosell of NFL Films was on John Hanson's Sirius/XM Fantasy show. He said that Peterson is "head and shoulders better" than Chris Johnson. That's a pretty strong statement from a guy who watches more film than just about anybody. Just imagine how sick AD would be if he didn't have to break three tackles before he even takes the handoff.

:thumbup: How is that going to help?
:headbang: I don't get to think on it a bit? That's not exactly an easy question.

Last week, Greg Cosell of NFL Films was on John Hanson's Sirius/XM Fantasy show. He said that Peterson is "head and shoulders better" than Chris Johnson. That's a pretty strong statement from a guy who watches more film than just about anybody. Just imagine how sick AD would be if he didn't have to break three tackles before he even takes the handoff.
Reread the part i bolded.

:yucky: How is that going to help?
:confused: I don't get to think on it a bit? That's not exactly an easy question.

:bag: I'm over-tired...

:yucky: How is that going to help?
:confused: I don't get to think on it a bit? That's not exactly an easy question.

:bag: I'm over-tired...
Looks like its a good time to pull out the first RB then. ;)

Totally agree. How is he any different than Favre? Big stats, MVPs, consecutive game streak, one super bowl, and history of not showing up in a big game. Dont get me wrong, Manning is great, but he belongs in the 11-20 group right next to Favre.
I think Manning will be in the top 10 under the presumption that he will likely break many of Favre's records, but I think that is wrong. He should be ranked on what he has done thus far, and to put him ahead of Favre at this juncture is just wrong. Same number of championships, Favre has the edge in TDs, consecutive games, yards, etc., and as inconsistent as Favre has been in the playoffs in the last 10 years, in the 90s, he was pretty stellar in the postseason, unlike Peyton, who has never been consistently great in the postseason. Consider that in his six playoff games in '95 and '96, Favre had a passer rating of over 100 in 5 of those games. Heck, in 18 playoff games, Peyton has only had a passer rating of 100 or higher 4 times. And as much as Favre is maligned for his INTs at the end of two of the last three conference title games, he played out of his mind in the divisional rounds both years, having passer ratings of over 130. So, yeah, I don't see how Peyton is ahead of Favre at this juncture. And I am saying this based on the idea that the postseason means a lot according to the voters of this top 100, hence, Aikman being ahead of Steve Young and Bradshaw being 30 spots ahead of both of those guys.

I think Manning will be in the top 10 under the presumption that he will likely break many of Favre's records, but I think that is wrong. He should be ranked on what he has done thus far, and to put him ahead of Favre at this juncture is just wrong. Same number of championships, Favre has the edge in TDs, consecutive games, yards, etc., and as inconsistent as Favre has been in the playoffs in the last 10 years, in the 90s, he was pretty stellar in the postseason, unlike Peyton, who has never been consistently great in the postseason. Consider that in his six playoff games in '95 and '96, Favre had a passer rating of over 100 in 5 of those games. Heck, in 18 playoff games, Peyton has only had a passer rating of 100 or higher 4 times. And as much as Favre is maligned for his INTs at the end of two of the last three conference title games, he played out of his mind in the divisional rounds both years, having passer ratings of over 130. So, yeah, I don't see how Peyton is ahead of Favre at this juncture. And I am saying this based on the idea that the postseason means a lot according to the voters of this top 100, hence, Aikman being ahead of Steve Young and Bradshaw being 30 spots ahead of both of those guys.
I'd agree with that. Putting Manning ahead of Farve today is not accurate. I don't think Barry should be ahead of Emmitt by what looks to be such a large margin.In the end, it's just a list.FWIW, I think Joe Montana will be No.1 even though Jerry Rice is who I think was the greatest football player. I just don't think they'll give it to a WR as the best NFL player of all time.

Jim Brown dominated on a Babe Ruth level. The only two guys who can even be mentioned in the same breath as Jim Brown are Barry, and Bo Jackson had he stayed healthy.
I hope your omission of Payton was unintentional. IMO Payton is the best RB of all time, and Brown is second.

Im thinking Sweetness is going to be #1

And I think LT, White, Rice and Brown will round out the top 5. Not sure what order though.

Jim Brown dominated on a Babe Ruth level. The only two guys who can even be mentioned in the same breath as Jim Brown are Barry, and Bo Jackson had he stayed healthy.
I hope your omission of Payton was unintentional. IMO Payton is the best RB of all time, and Brown is second.
It probably was. My top 3 are Sanders, Payton, Brown - in that order.
I would go Payton 1, Brown 2, and Sanders 3. To compare Brown to Ruth is way off. Baseball was America's pastime and the heroes do not compare. Grange MAY equal Ruth. Brown MAY equal Mantle. America has its heroes and baseball for at least the first 100 years has the players that many generations identify with.

I think Ronnie Lott is a little too high.
Not at all. Best db ever and not even close. He was dominant.
How did he never win a DPOY award? I never understood that. Rod Woodson, Deion, Ed Reed, and even Bob Sanders all won one. I always though Lott should have gotten it at least once in his career.
Ronnie Lott, a guy who cut off his finger. Dominate, Dedicated, and Desire. He would never be voted #1, but in my football world, who is better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see them recognizing that Emmitt probably wasn't even a top 10 NFL player in his own era. :thumbdown:
I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this list is a top 10 in their era. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Emmitt Smith was a top 10 player in his era.I appreciate the show and the hard work they're putting in but it's just a list and their opinion. It wasn't like a Magic Book was found with the real answers in it and we're revealing it to the world. This stuff is opinion, not fact just like a lot of our conversations on this board.I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it, it's fun to watch.

Good to see them recognizing that Emmitt probably wasn't even a top 10 NFL player in his own era. :thumbup:
I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this list is a top 10 in their era. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Emmitt Smith was a top 10 player in his era.I appreciate the show and the hard work they're putting in but it's just a list and their opinion. It wasn't like a Magic Book was found with the real answers in it and we're revealing it to the world. This stuff is opinion, not fact just like a lot of our conversations on this board.I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it, it's fun to watch.
Haven't read whole thread, but having guest commentators for each player really makes it exceptional. Like Carl Lewis for Darrell Green, I knew he was a sprinter, but didn't really realize they were friends and Carl Lewis cared. Carl Lewis, " He never beat me." For most he wouldn't need to utter those words, but the fact he had to, means a lot to Green's speed.

Good to see them recognizing that Emmitt probably wasn't even a top 10 NFL player in his own era. :hophead:
Haven't read whole thread, but having guest commentators for each player really makes it exceptional. Like Carl Lewis for Darrell Green, I knew he was a sprinter, but didn't really realize they were friends and Carl Lewis cared. Carl Lewis, " He never beat me." For most he wouldn't need to utter those words, but the fact he had to, means a lot to Green's speed.
I disagree somewhat. Yes, in some cases, it has made it interesting, but in other cases it felt like a complete disservice to the player. It could have made for an interesting theme to the show, but IMO it felt like they botched it in too many cases.ETA: And I think some of the rankings are pretty bad, which also takes away from the show for me.

I remember in the Green Bay/N.E. Super Bowl, Reggie White totally abused Max Lane. IIRC, he was lined up at LDE, over Lane who was the RT. Did Reggie always play on that side, or would he switch to RDE depending on the matchup? The reason I ask is, I would pay cash money for a game tape of White vs. Munoz.

:popcorn:
Reggie was always at LDE. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...99111170phi.htm
Yeaup. Also, i believe that the best defensive end ever is Bruce Smith when you take everything into account.Bruce Smith. Played RDE in the 3-4 scheme for the majority of his career.

Deacon Jones. Played with the "fearsome foursome", Olsen was arguably better and more dominant.

Reggie White. Lined up against the right tackle. Played with multiple pro bowlers on the same line. (Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons on the same line)

I wonder who is second in sacks among 3-4 DE's. Bruce has to have at least 75 more then anyone else that played his position.

Just Win Baby said:
I disagree somewhat. Yes, in some cases, it has made it interesting, but in other cases it felt like a complete disservice to the player. It could have made for an interesting theme to the show, but IMO it felt like they botched it in too many cases.ETA: And I think some of the rankings are pretty bad, which also takes away from the show for me.
I love NFL Films but sometimes they stretch the truth or mislead. There is one old clip of a black lady praying that NFL Films used in multiple films. There is also a clip of a senior citizen with an orange and white hat putting his hand to his face in disgust. That clip was used in the Buccaneers segment from "The Best of the Football Follies" and it was also used in the highlight film for the Chargers-Dolphins 1981 playoff epic. There are many more examples of this. NFL Films misled a bit with this project, too. A-Rod, or the narrator, mentioned the Jets-Dolphins duels of the 1980s. Then A-Rod talked about a "50-yard lob pass" that Marino threw in one of those games. That play was shown. The problem is that that game had a score of 45-3. It should have been edited differently because if you didn't remember that game, you would have thought the pass to Mark Duper was the game-winner in a 41-38, 44-37, 38-35 type of game.

Well Manning has more YPG, a higher completion%, a higher TD%, lower INT%, better yards/attempt & completion, better QB rating & a lower sack%.In pretty much every measurable way Manning has performed better than Favre to this point in his career.And both have come up short in the playoffs multiple times. I have no problem with Manning > Favre.

:goodposting:
Reggie was always at LDE. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...99111170phi.htm
Yeaup. Also, i believe that the best defensive end ever is Bruce Smith when you take everything into account.Bruce Smith. Played RDE in the 3-4 scheme for the majority of his career.

Deacon Jones. Played with the "fearsome foursome", Olsen was arguably better and more dominant.

Reggie White. Lined up against the right tackle. Played with multiple pro bowlers on the same line. (Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons on the same line)

I wonder who is second in sacks among 3-4 DE's. Bruce has to have at least 75 more then anyone else that played his position.
As a fellow Bills fan, I find you to be a very wise individual. I have also wondered about DE's that have played in a 3-4 and where they compare to "Bad Things, Man"

Just Win Baby said:
I disagree somewhat. Yes, in some cases, it has made it interesting, but in other cases it felt like a complete disservice to the player. It could have made for an interesting theme to the show, but IMO it felt like they botched it in too many cases.

ETA: And I think some of the rankings are pretty bad, which also takes away from the show for me.
I love NFL Films but sometimes they stretch the truth or mislead. There is one old clip of a black lady praying that NFL Films used in multiple films. There is also a clip of a senior citizen with an orange and white hat putting his hand to his face in disgust. That clip was used in the Buccaneers segment from "The Best of the Football Follies" and it was also used in the highlight film for the Chargers-Dolphins 1981 playoff epic. There are many more examples of this. NFL Films misled a bit with this project, too. A-Rod, or the narrator, mentioned the Jets-Dolphins duels of the 1980s. Then A-Rod talked about a "50-yard lob pass" that Marino threw in one of those games. That play was shown. The problem is that that game had a score of 45-3. It should have been edited differently because if you didn't remember that game, you would have thought the pass to Mark Duper was the game-winner in a 41-38, 44-37, 38-35 type of game.
Marino threw a game winning 50-yard TD pass to Duper to beat the Jets 21-17 on November 10, 1985.

Just Win Baby said:
I disagree somewhat. Yes, in some cases, it has made it interesting, but in other cases it felt like a complete disservice to the player. It could have made for an interesting theme to the show, but IMO it felt like they botched it in too many cases.

ETA: And I think some of the rankings are pretty bad, which also takes away from the show for me.
Marino threw a game winning 50-yard TD pass to Duper to beat the Jets 21-17 on November 10, 1985.
You are absolutely correct.Wow, what a moron I am. Yeah, in the '85 game he beat Bobby Jackson. Jackson wasn't with the Jets in '86. I was thinking of the 1986 Monday night beatdown, but the play shown in the segment was from '85. Note to self- do not post here when badly sick anymore. (I first saw the Marino segment on 10/28 when my fever was in full blast. I have still not fully recovered.)

Yep. Also, i believe that the best defensive end ever is Bruce Smith when you take everything into account.Bruce Smith. Played RDE in the 3-4 scheme for the majority of his career.Deacon Jones. Played with the "fearsome foursome", Olsen was arguably better and more dominant.Reggie White. Lined up against the right tackle. Played with multiple pro bowlers on the same line. (Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons on the same line)I wonder who is second in sacks among 3-4 DE's. Bruce has to have at least 75 more then anyone else that played his position.
As a fellow Bills fan, I find you to be a very wise individual. I have also wondered about DE's that have played in a 3-4 and where they compare to "Bad Things, Man"
Bruce Smith is #1 all-time in sacks since it became an official stat in 1982.Reggie White had only 2 less than Bruce Smith in his career (200-198) .Chris Doleman is next with 150.5 followed by Michael Strahan with 141.5 and Richard Dent with 137.5 (those are the top 5 DE's on the career sacks list) .I have no problem with them putting Deacon Jones above Bruce Smith simply because there's really no way of knowing exactly how many sacks he would have been credited with if it was an official stat when he played.
Manning has more YPG, a higher completion%, a higher TD%, lower INT%, better yards/attempt & completion, better QB rating & a lower sack%.In pretty much every measurable way Manning has performed better than Favre to this point in his career.And both have come up short in the playoffs multiple times. I have no problem with Manning > Favre.
I Have no problem with Peyton Manning Being in the top 10 BUT I do have a huge problem with Tom Brady being ahead of both Dan Marino And John Elway

Just Win Baby said:
firstseason1988 said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Good to see them recognizing that Emmitt probably wasn't even a top 10 NFL player in his own era. :lmao:
I think we are close to being on the same page, not arguing, just discussing.Rankings are better than I expected. No doubt I would have ranked a number of players in different tiers than they are, but I expected a to give a grade of D to them and I give it a C+ on the rankings. I don't think there are too many complete disservice to players, loved Glanville's Night Train Lane, and I don't like Glanville. You have a single commentator, it gets dull to me, if nothing else, I appreciate the effort. I give it an A.

Just Win Baby said:
firstseason1988 said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Good to see them recognizing that Emmitt probably wasn't even a top 10 NFL player in his own era. :lmao:
I think we are close to being on the same page, not arguing, just discussing.Rankings are better than I expected. No doubt I would have ranked a number of players in different tiers than they are, but I expected a to give a grade of D to them and I give it a C+ on the rankings. I don't think there are too many complete disservice to players, loved Glanville's Night Train Lane, and I don't like Glanville. You have a single commentator, it gets dull to me, if nothing else, I appreciate the effort. I give it an A.
Yes, the Glanville commentary on Lane was solid. What I don't like is when they used people who are not affiliated with the game to comment on players. Like ARod on Marino, Jeter on Brady, a senator on Fran Tarkenton, etc. Each of the players profiled had enough coaches, teammates, and opponents, as well as others like announcers or even sportswriters, that there were much better choices. I think there was a golden opportunity here that was missed in the way they chose to handle this.As for the rankings, I intend to make some comments on them once the full 100 is known.

Yep. Also, i believe that the best defensive end ever is Bruce Smith when you take everything into account.Bruce Smith. Played RDE in the 3-4 scheme for the majority of his career.Deacon Jones. Played with the "fearsome foursome", Olsen was arguably better and more dominant.Reggie White. Lined up against the right tackle. Played with multiple pro bowlers on the same line. (Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons on the same line)I wonder who is second in sacks among 3-4 DE's. Bruce has to have at least 75 more then anyone else that played his position.
Bruce Smith is #1 all-time in sacks since it became an official stat in 1982.Reggie White had only 2 less than Bruce Smith in his career (200-198) .Chris Doleman is next with 150.5 followed by Michael Strahan with 141.5 and Richard Dent with 137.5 (those are the top 5 DE's on the career sacks list) .I have no problem with them putting Deacon Jones above Bruce Smith simply because there's really no way of knowing exactly how many sacks he would have been credited with if it was an official stat when he played.
Manning has more YPG, a higher completion%, a higher TD%, lower INT%, better yards/attempt & completion, better QB rating & a lower sack%.In pretty much every measurable way Manning has performed better than Favre to this point in his career.And both have come up short in the playoffs multiple times. I have no problem with Manning > Favre.
I Have no problem with Peyton Manning Being in the top 10 BUT I do have a huge problem with Tom Brady being ahead of both Dan Marino And John Elway
I have a problem with it when you consider that he played with Merlin Olsen, who was arguably better and considered to be a top 25 player of all time. And when you consider the differences in scheme, (Bruce Smith playing 3-4 de for the majority of his career, recording 170+ sacks from that position, and none of his peers being even close to him in terms of sack totals) were talking about a guy who is far and away the best pass rusher.

I have a problem with it when you consider that he played with Merlin Olsen, who was arguably better and considered to be a top 25 player of all time. And when you consider the differences in scheme, (Bruce Smith playing 3-4 de for the majority of his career, recording 170+ sacks from that position, and none of his peers being even close to him in terms of sack totals) were talking about a guy who is far and away the best pass rusher.
First off, you initially said Smith is the best DE ever. Now you are saying he is the best pass rusher. That is two different things.Let's talk about Deacon Jones a bit. He unofficially recorded 179.5 sacks in 191 games. Compare that to Smith's 200 sacks in 279 career games, and Jones was obviously more productive. Per Wikipedia, Jones was considered by many to revolutionize the position of defensive end and was noted for coining the "sack". He unofficially had 26 sacks in 14 games in 1967, which (if official) would be the single season record. Then he unofficially had 24 sacks in 14 games in 1968, again more than the current NFL record.Sports Illustrated chose Jones as its "Defensive End of the Century" and the Sporting News ranked Jones at #13 in its 100 Greatest Football Players list, which was the highest ranking for a DE and behind only Bob Lilly as a DL. At the time, Smith was 36 and (through 1998) had 164 sacks through 201 games. He was judged to be clearly behind Jones, and there is no reason to think that should have changed as he averaged less than half a sack per game the rest of his career to get the record.

My Final 10

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Don Hutson

Lawrence Taylor

D1ck Butkus

Reggie White

2) Rice

3) Montana

4) Taylor

5) Unitas

6) Manning

7) White

8) Payton

9) Hutson

10) Butkus
I would put sweetness at #5 (And Jerry Glanville Will Be His Presenter/Narrator) Make Johnny U #4 L.T. anywhere from 6-10

:shrug:

Half hour away from the Top 10. Cooking up a nice rib eye with all the fixins for the program.

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'll be shocked if Jim Brown is not #1. Eight rushing titles in 9 seasons. Would have dominated in any era. Put fear in the heart of defenders like no other player in NFL history.

Brown's claim to the title of greatest running back of all time is supported by statistics. In 118 career games, Brown averaged 104.3 yards per game and 5.2 yards per carry. None of the NFL's career rushing leaders come close to these spectacular totals. For example, Walter Payton averaged only 88 yards per game during his career with a 4.4 yards-per-carry average. Emmitt Smith averaged only 81.2 yards per game with a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. While both Peyton and Smith ultimately eclipsed Brown in total career rushing yards, it is arguable that their cumulative totals are as much a product of longevity and durability as they are of pure rushing ability.

The only top ten all-time rusher who even approaches Brown's totals, Barry Sanders, posted a career average of 99.8 yards per game and an outstanding 5.0 yards per carry. However, Barry Sanders' father, William, was frequently quoted as saying that Jim Brown was "the best I've ever seen."

:popcorn:

Half hour away from the Top 10. Cooking up a nice rib eye with all the fixins for the program.

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'll be shocked if Jim Brown is not #1. Eight rushing titles in 9 seasons. Would have dominated in any era. Put fear in the heart of defenders like no other player in NFL history.

Brown's claim to the title of greatest running back of all time is supported by statistics. In 118 career games, Brown averaged 104.3 yards per game and 5.2 yards per carry. None of the NFL's career rushing leaders come close to these spectacular totals. For example, Walter Payton averaged only 88 yards per game during his career with a 4.4 yards-per-carry average. Emmitt Smith averaged only 81.2 yards per game with a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. While both Peyton and Smith ultimately eclipsed Brown in total career rushing yards, it is arguable that their cumulative totals are as much a product of longevity and durability as they are of pure rushing ability.

The only top ten all-time rusher who even approaches Brown's totals, Barry Sanders, posted a career average of 99.8 yards per game and an outstanding 5.0 yards per carry. However, Barry Sanders' father, William, was frequently quoted as saying that Jim Brown was "the best I've ever seen."
He was good but he's no LeGarrette Blount.

Users who are viewing this thread