What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (10 Viewers)

If he did this to get out of Oakland I'm not sure why he agreed to the extension in the first place. That's why the Buffalo deal fell through because he refused to negotiate with them. Why not just keep doing that until Pitt is forced to trade him to a contender (although I doubt they would have traded him to New England).

Honestly I think he's a nutbag, but I just can't get worked up about it. I hate the Pats with the passion of a 1,000 suns but they were likely going to be AFC champs with or without Brown - at least he gave us some late pre-season entertainment. Maybe he'll finally be the iceberg that sinks the Pats dynasty.
They will cut him if there is as much as a hiccup happening the wrong way. 

I'm curious as to how Brady is going to bark him down on the sidelines after AB starts chirping about not getting the ball.  He'll be quiet at first and play the role game but sooner or later he'll take to the twitter with shots at Brady or the OC.  

One reason he'll stay quiet at first is because this season he's playing for a contract extension.  He still wants his max money. But I don't think he'll stay quiet unless they feed him what he thinks is his share of targets. 
He's going to put up good enough numbers and look good enough to get a big contract even if his production does dip a bit. It will because the Pats will spread the ball around. He and Edelman will see the most targets though - and if Edelman goes down he'll be back to his Pittsburgh level targets.

I'm curious as to how Brady is going to bark him down on the sidelines after AB starts chirping about not getting the ball.  He'll be quiet at first and play the role game but sooner or later he'll take to the twitter with shots at Brady or the OC.  

One reason he'll stay quiet at first is because this season he's playing for a contract extension.  He still wants his max money. But I don't think he'll stay quiet unless they feed him what he thinks is his share of targets. 
Why wouldn't Brady feed him?  He's the best WR in the NFL.

If he does Brown will stay happy.  When I say feed him I mean throw to him even in tight coverage, etc.  Brady spreads it around and finds the open guy.  I could see AB not being happy about how he's being used.  Not early but eventually.  

Look what Cook did two seasons back and he’s Brown-lite. Brown’s floor (ignoring any antics) from a pure football standpoint is 80-1,200-8 in NE, and there’s a ton of room for upside.

If he does Brown will stay happy.  When I say feed him I mean throw to him even in tight coverage, etc.  Brady spreads it around and finds the open guy.  I could see AB not being happy about how he's being used.  Not early but eventually.  
He the best route runner in the NFL. He’ll get open.

He the best route runner in the NFL. He’ll get open.
This.

I’m having a hard time trying to understand this underlying narrative that Brown can’t get open unless he’s blowing past people downfield. AB is the best route runner in the NFL and gets open all over the field. He’s literally twice as good as Edelman. There’s no reason to think that AB won’t approach 10 targets a game.

Don't forget how good NE is at running those pick plays where a player catches the ball around the line of scrimmage and turns it into a 10-yard gain.  Brown can take those plays to the house. 

If he did this to get out of Oakland I'm not sure why he agreed to the extension in the first place
Honestly I think he / Rosenhaus may have (correctly) perceived the Oakland Raiders management & Gruden as weak, and easily manipulated comparatively. 

Going to the Raiders merely set the stage for this eventuality. 

They likely didn’t think the Bills would fold like a cheap suit at the first signs of trouble. 

I'm not happy with how this all went down, or how it seems that AB's behavior was an act to get released by Oakland, regardless of what team he ended up with. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd be just as pissed if he signed with Seattle, or KC, or whomever. I agree that it's a terrible precedent and if it becomes a "normal" thing, it will definitely cause me to lose interest in the NFL. The Raiders really got unfairly screwed here. I have no "proof" that this is what happened, so I'm taking a wait and see approach. It's going to look awful fishy if he's all of a sudden a model teammate and not causing a ruckus though. Who knows, maybe he really has a screw loose and does something dumb and gets booted out of New England. Say what you want about the Pats, but I doubt they're going to tolerate too much, if anything at all from him.
The only reason this seems like a precedent is because the Raiders are a clown show. On any other team, Brown gets suspended without pay and neither he nor the Patriots get rewarded.

A very real prospect. I just can't see a "Moss like" season happening for AB.

Will be interesting to see if a chronic malcontent can be content to just win a Super Bowl in a support role.
except Moss could jump ball in end zone ... ABrown won't be doing that and NE has a great running game

The only reason this seems like a precedent is because the Raiders are a clown show. On any other team, Brown gets suspended without pay and neither he nor the Patriots get rewarded.
It wasn't the Raiders fault with helmet issues, it wasn't the Raiders fault he didn't show up for meetings or a walk-thru,  it wasn't the Raiders fault for frozen feet,  it wasn't the Raiders fault he wanted to fight the GM and call him a racial slur, it wasn't the Raiders fault he taped his conversation with Gruden, or whoever it was, and it certainly wasn't the Raiders talking in secret with the Patriots for what he could do to get axed and swoop in that afternoon and sign him. 

I think Antonio Brown decided afterwards that he didn’t want to be a Raider.  At first he was gung-ho, working out with David Carr right away, on their own time, then something changed his mind and he wanted out, not sure if it was only because of the fines or not.
News today is AB seaked out a social media expert on how to get released faster. if this isn't something concocted by NE and BB I don't know what is. I hope the league investigates this thing fully as it seems pre determined. OAK should file tampering charges against NE. He's released and the same day already has a deal with NE? Doesn't add up

Or throws a ball at Brady's head

I don't have a hard time believing the Patriots would be ready for this contingency and be prepared to act quickly.  

I would be very surprised if this were all an act.  Personally, I think Brown is loco and can't stay quiet for long.

Apparently, talent comes with a long rope.  What comes next will be fascinating.  Brown could be a good soldier or unemployed again very soon.   Is it possible to have more volatility than Brown and Gordon?   Does AB's persona have a positive or negative effect on Gordon?   If AB is still AB and can focus on the game (two major uncertainties), New England is going to be tough to beat.
There's already reports out that Tom Brady was actively recruiting him several weeks before all of this started. I hope the league investigates and if I'm an Oakland fan I'm pissed. NE and AB knew Pitt wasn't sending AB in a trade to them so they shipped him to Oak. So NE and AB come up with this whole scheme. The more and more that comes out on this the Raiders have a case to file tampering charges against NE. 

There's already reports out that Tom Brady was actively recruiting him several weeks before all of this started. I hope the league investigates and if I'm an Oakland fan I'm pissed. NE and AB knew Pitt wasn't sending AB in a trade to them so they shipped him to Oak. So NE and AB come up with this whole scheme. The more and more that comes out on this the Raiders have a case to file tampering charges against NE. 
Link?

It wasn't the Raiders fault with helmet issues, it wasn't the Raiders fault he didn't show up for meetings or a walk-thru,  it wasn't the Raiders fault for frozen feet,  it wasn't the Raiders fault he wanted to fight the GM and call him a racial slur, it wasn't the Raiders fault he taped his conversation with Gruden, or whoever it was, and it certainly wasn't the Raiders talking in secret with the Patriots for what he could do to get axed and swoop in that afternoon and sign him. 
Right, but the point is that nobody was complaining about precedent or threatening to boycott the NFL UNTIL the Patriots signed him.

The Raiders had the ability to prevent all this from happening but they decided to be reactive instead of proactive.

Totally forced. People saying he should be suspended for that are “cracking” me up honestly.  Totally reaching for something to complain about.  
No its the whole I'm scared of calling a black person out for shouting racist slurs. I have zero respect for anyone in the black community who cries about racism but then continue to use the N word and other slurs in their daily vocabulary. Its makes you sound so uneducated and shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not different then the LGBTQ community about f@g. My cousin is gay is hates that word and doesn't even use the word. I've seen and heard people in the LGBTQ community use it and frankly I don't take those people as seriously. You want to stop things like racism you need to call out both sides. 

I had a black co worker who pulled the race card constantly. My boss was afraid of firing him because he didn't want the whole thing to become a story as our company is a fairly big name retail company. So he waited for the guy to no call no show and fired him. When he was kicked out of another part of the store for poor work ethic he tried calling the supervisor racist. I know the guy personally. he can be a bit of an ####### but far from a racist. Anyone who doesn't want to bring up what AB say is sticking to status quo when it comes to race issues. Know why we have so many people who continually try to play this card? it's because people enable this behavior and why people aren't taken seriously on race issues is because of this. 

Of course there is.  Cracker simply does not carry the same weight.  At least in the non-millenial brain.

He's a little baby who threw a hissy fit.  We're supposed to believe that Mike Mayock's psyche is damaged because he got called a cracker?  Does he deserve reparations?
A racial slur is a racial slur anyone trying to defend AB is no better than the racist themselves. I dare you to go to work and get into an argument with co worker or client. Especially if you are black. Go call someone a cracker. I bet the next time you are on here it'll be telling us you've been future endeavored for  your actions. I've seen people terminated for far less egregious acts. 

I heard that the Raiders were willing to move forward with no guaranteed money, and they could try to void those guarantees due to his previous behavior. In those circumstances, Brown didn't want to play there anymore. That's why his online behavior got weird (thanks to consulting with social media experts). 

Regarding whether this was orchestrated from the beginning, I'm not a superstar athlete but I'm not sure why someone would sacrifice $30 million guaranteed to take <$10 million guaranteed. Is that the cost of playing for a contender? 

No its the whole I'm scared of calling a black person out for shouting racist slurs. I have zero respect for anyone in the black community who cries about racism but then continue to use the N word and other slurs in their daily vocabulary. Its makes you sound so uneducated and shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not different then the LGBTQ community about f@g. My cousin is gay is hates that word and doesn't even use the word. I've seen and heard people in the LGBTQ community use it and frankly I don't take those people as seriously. You want to stop things like racism you need to call out both sides. 

I had a black co worker who pulled the race card constantly. My boss was afraid of firing him because he didn't want the whole thing to become a story as our company is a fairly big name retail company. So he waited for the guy to no call no show and fired him. When he was kicked out of another part of the store for poor work ethic he tried calling the supervisor racist. I know the guy personally. he can be a bit of an ####### but far from a racist. Anyone who doesn't want to bring up what AB say is sticking to status quo when it comes to race issues. Know why we have so many people who continually try to play this card? it's because people enable this behavior and why people aren't taken seriously on race issues is because of this. 
Ok? 

I wonder which is worse if you're a longtime Raiders fan...

1) Immaculate reception

2) Tuck rule

3) AB using the Raiders like a condom

So f-ing dramatic, I swear. Some people fall on one side of this whole thing and any little piece that fits their plight and they’re screaming at the top of their lungs it’s the worst thing they’ve ever seen or heard (“cracker”). 
Again a word thats suppose to be a racial slur is a racial slur. Trying to argue cracker not being a racial slur is like the black people who try to tell me and others that the N word isn't racial anymore because blacks took over the word to not overpower them anymore. 

What are you talking about?  Your ignorance on the subject matter is on full display.  I'll hit you with a little knowledge and then will no longer hijack the thread.  The term "Cracker" is in reference to someone who cracks the whip, like a slave owner/trader.  In other words, you means you're an oppressor and a racist POS.  While it might not bother you, I would definitely take offense to someone calling me a "Cracker."  I wouldn't want to fight someone over it, but it would definitely show that the person calling me that has no idea who I am as a person and is a complete and total idiot.  
Got to love the shear ignorance and lack of educational knowledge on this by people. This is no worse then Kap's GF calling Ray Lewis an Uncle Tom and calling Biscotti a slave owner. 

A racial slur is a racial slur anyone trying to defend AB is no better than the racist themselves. I dare you to go to work and get into an argument with co worker or client. Especially if you are black. Go call someone a cracker. I bet the next time you are on here it'll be telling us you've been future endeavored for  your actions. I've seen people terminated for far less egregious acts. 
This is a flawed analogy on two fronts. First off, the person you're describing would get fired simply for getting into an argument -- the fact that a particular word was used during the argument is not relevant.

Second, if you really think that calling someone a name is equal to denying someone equal rights under the law, then you're not worth engaging.

As someone who sees blatant, deeply seeded racism... daily, going BOTH ways... living in Memphis, TN: 

Black men (and women) make a big deal out of it because they are STILL trying to “come up” and overcome hurdles that white men never had to face. Having that thrown in your face is like being kicked in the face from above while you’re trying to climb a ladder. That’s a blanket statement, of course, and not all black men are actually trying to climb the ladder... just like not all white men are kicking from above. But in the end the words mean the same. Some are impacted more by them than others. 

“Cracker” lacks the same punch or power because, generally speaking, the targets of the insult are comfortable in their standing.. typically “above” the person throwing the insult. It takes a lot of the punch away and doesn’t mean anywhere near the same thing. Sure there are PLENTY of angry poor white men who, when called a cracker by black men, would likely take umbrage and throw fists.... but Maycock is not such a man. 

Cracker is effectively harmless as a term not because of the intent behind it, but because it lacks the historical projection of power that other racial slurs carry. 

I’m not standing up for Brown’s use of the term. There’s no place for that #### in today’s NFL. At this point these men are professionals making more money in a year than many of us will make in a lifetime. Just explaining the lack of uproar, IMO. 

I don’t love the signing, as a lifer NE fan. I’m doing my best to take a wait and see approach. That said, the uproar by some in here has provided a TREMENDOUS amount of comedy... and screen grabs have been circulating among NE family and on some other forums. 
It may not have the same effect but it's still considered a racial slur. No different then Honkey. All you are doing is enabling the racist behavior by saying oh it doesn't mean as much anymore. Then you wonder why when real racism happens people don't believe you. It's because we keep enabling said behavior by both sides. 

1) Immaculate reception

2) Tuck rule

The tuck rule.  Franco made a great play.   The Raiders made a huge mistake with AB and cut their losses which is really that 3rd round pick.  I never wanted Brown on a team that needs to lose to draft early and often to rebuild.  The tuck rule was blatant cheating to push the Patriots to the SB in a time when the country needed to be patriotic.  

This dude is a straight ho.
I've heard about the social media thing with wrestlers. WWE won't release any of their talent asking for releases who are either not used or want to go else where and WWE won't. People asked Dusty Rhoads' son Codi who is one of the founders of AEW how he got released and he told them to be publicly vocal. Social media lawyers have told talent ask for a release and then go on Social media saying you asked for one. This puts WWE in a hole and WWE doesn't want bad PR and knowing you publicly already said they want a release you put the Company in a hole now. AB did the same thing 

1) Immaculate reception

2) Tuck rule

I'm not a Raider fan but for someone cheating for the team do to either Eagles ties to the organization or players from the surrounding area it'd be The Tuck Rule. There were other missed calls in that game that were clearly favoring the Patriots though

Right, but the point is that nobody was complaining about precedent or threatening to boycott the NFL UNTIL the Patriots signed him.

The Raiders had the ability to prevent all this from happening but they decided to be reactive instead of proactive.
The complaints about precedent didn't occur until another team signed him and rewarded his behavior (it would have happened no matter which team he signed him).

The Raiders did what was right for them, nobody should fault them for cutting AB.

So basically AB/Rosenhaus negotiated with the Pats back in march along with others the steelers were in talks with. Steelers were offered a 1st from pats, but they wanted a 1 and 2 from them. They got a 1 and 3 from the bills but AB said he wouldn’t even report or they couldn’t negotiate the right deal. So he goes to oakland who he was ok playing for because he liked Carr and the money, but he really wanted NE the whole time. So when he didn’t like how he was treated he just did the same playbook that got him out of Pittsburgh to get him to free agency, which is what he really wanted. 

Users who are viewing this thread