What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (16 Viewers)

I really surprised they couldn't get this down to First Degree Misdemeanor. 2 years of probation and all the rules that come with it will make his life hell for the next 2 years. I can't see him following those rules and see a parole violate issue coming up in the future. I wonder if he will be allowed to leave the State, probably for football because it is work related. I can easily see the league suspending him for next year, (for this and the sexual assault charges). 
If an option existed to give a thumbs down or dislike a post this would surely merit it.

He has really cleaned up his social media the last few months.  He should have hired a screener or whatever he has going now like a year ago.  

I mean, they do have a strong locker room, and his cousin plays there. They could also use a proven #1 WR. It'd be a best case scenario for both parties.

If they did get him, I don't know how you'd game plan against that offense. You have to play Jackson's mobility at all times, you have to have at least 7 in the box, and you have to have a deep safety. Also Brown is one of the all-time best WR's at improvising when a play breaks down, and teams would constantly lose track of him, when he didn't have a QB who runs for 1,200 yards. The big(really only) issue with the Ravens offense a year ago, was there wasn't a guy who could routinely beat 1-1 coverage. Andrews was their best option last year, and while its certainly possible(likely even) that Hollywood gets there, Antonio Brown requires no such projection.

And the first time that Lamar pulled the ball down and ran when Antonio was open(or not open), the first of many tantrums would be thrown.  Antonio Brown is not trustworthy at this point, he's proven it time and time again with his repeatedly poor behavior.  I can't imagine that the Ravens want that headache regardless of the potential.

And the first time that Lamar pulled the ball down and ran when Antonio was open(or not open), the first of many tantrums would be thrown.  Antonio Brown is not trustworthy at this point, he's proven it time and time again with his repeatedly poor behavior.  I can't imagine that the Ravens want that headache regardless of the potential.
I really don't see this happening. The rifts in Pitt started when AB started believing that Ben was getting special treatment. There were a few statements by AB to the effect that Ben thought he was a coach or part of management, above the rest of the players. I view AB's falling out with Pitt as a result of his and Ben's relationship falling apart. Similar to the Legion of Doom falling apart when Sherman didn't like that Wilson was (allegedly) held to different standards than the defense.

I don't see that happening with Lamar. Lamar makes some dumb decisions like driving too fast or getting tackled over speedboats, but he comes across as humble, and not likely to pull a "this is my team" card on AB. I do think AB is crazy, I just think his type of crazy will gel more with a player like Jackson then a player like Ben.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see this happening. The rifts in Pitt started when AB started believing that Ben was getting special treatment. There were a few statements by AB to the effect that Ben thought he was a coach or part of management, above the rest of the players. I view AB's falling out with Pitt as a result of his and Ben's relationship falling apart. Similar to the Legion of Doom falling apart when Sherman didn't like that Wilson was (allegedly) held to different standards than the defense.

I don't see that happening with Lamar. Lamar makes some dumb decisions like driving too fast or getting tackled over speedboats, but he comes across as humble, and not likely to pull a "this is my team" card on AB. I do think AB is crazy, I just think his type of crazy will gel more with a player like Jackson then a player like Ben.
Brown is far from the only former Steeler who felt that way too. 

I also don't see Brown as a QB killer. I firmly believe if the off field issues hadn't propped up when they did, that Brown and Brady would have got along great all season last year.

Taking that a hypothetical step further, Brown playing all year with Brady, likely means the Titans don't go on their run, the Pats might have gotten a bye week, and Brady/Belichick is likely still going strong. NFL Butterfly Effect is interesting sometimes.

Maybe I’m just old at this point in my FF community career... but I watched T.O. #### on Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo and Donovan McNabb and still get another shot in the NFL. People really think the best WR (maybe the best player) of the last decade doesn’t get another shot? I don’t like the guy but it amazes me this flawed logic still exists.

Josh Gordon repeatedly showed up drunk and high. AB is just an egocentric crazy ### who couldn’t keep it bottled up from the public eye. Every locker room has about three or four of those. Richie Incognito is still playing in the league for Christ sake.

Did I miss something or is this just inaccurate . . . LINK

Antonio Brown is hoping to return to the NFL this season after being placed on the commissioner's exempt list last year. If reinstated and signed, Brown could re-emerge as a potential starting Fantasy receiver in all leagues. It was a downward spiral for Brown in 2019 after he was traded from Pittsburgh to Oakland. A strange saga ensued there, and the Raiders released him prior to the season. He signed with New England, where he caught a touchdown from Tom Brady, but his season ended after Week 2 when the Patriots released him. He was then placed on the commissioner's list for issues off the field that remain unresolved
Was he actually put on the commissioner's exempt list and I missed it? I thought Goodell told teams that teams could sign AB but he COULD end up on the exempt list or suspended. Maybe someone in the media will press Roger for a status update on Brown, how the league investigation is going, and when they will announce any disciplinary action against him. But as far as I remember, he was not on the exempt list.

I think there are a lot of people forgetting about all of ABs stunts.  Heck, I hope some team gives him another shot so I can be entertained by the inevitable blow up.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/09/11/antonio-brown-career-timeline

Also for those indicating that he had a problem with Ben, ok sure, but he also routinely screamed at Mason Rudolph or whoever happened to be QB at the time if he wasn't fed.  And he threw a temper tantrum when the team named JuJu player of the year.

Good luck to anyone giving him a shot.

Did I miss something or is this just inaccurate . . . LINK

Was he actually put on the commissioner's exempt list and I missed it? I thought Goodell told teams that teams could sign AB but he COULD end up on the exempt list or suspended. Maybe someone in the media will press Roger for a status update on Brown, how the league investigation is going, and when they will announce any disciplinary action against him. But as far as I remember, he was not on the exempt list.
No he was not.

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Seahawks and Ravens have "had internal discussions" about signing free agent Antonio Brown. 

Silver also reports that Brown's likely suspension will be in the neighborhood of eight games. Per Silver's colleague Mike Garafolo, "whether it's Josh Gordon or Antonio Brown, there's a strong sense the Seahawks will eventually take a chance to upgrade at receiver." It is truly hard to believe Brown might get another opportunity after his numerous off-the-field disasters and front office bridge burning, but the league simply cannot help itself when it comes to players as talented as Brown. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter 

Jun 23, 2020, 2:28 PM ET

Anyone looking to trade for this guy? Get rid of this guy? For what?

I know I asked this not too long ago but with these little blurbs, it could change people's view points.

He should be worth a 2nd round rookie pick at minimum, just based on the positive recent buzz of teams being interested in signing him.

I cannot believe he will be suspended for 8 games, unless the league has more evidence that we are not yet privy to.

He should be worth a 2nd round rookie pick at minimum, just based on the positive recent buzz of teams being interested in signing him.

I cannot believe he will be suspended for 8 games, unless the league has more evidence that we are not yet privy to.
The league doesn't have to suspend him for 8 games for him to miss more than 8 games. He already missed 14 games last year and he was not suspended or placed on the exempt list. The league could certainly continue to slow roll their multiple investigations . . . meaning teams that might have an interest could continue to fret over signing him and THEN having him placed on the exempt list. The reason that is problematic is that whichever team signs AB would then have to pay him while he sits for these investigations to be completed (which the league will be in no rush to complete . . . especially with all their attention, energy, and resources being devoted to COVID). And after that he STILL could be suspended (but not paid) for a certain number of games. Of course, while all that plays out, Brown could have any number of incidents that would make the team signing him regret it before he even suited up for them (both the Raiders and Patriots say hi).

The league doesn't have to suspend him for 8 games for him to miss more than 8 games. He already missed 14 games last year and he was not suspended or placed on the exempt list. The league could certainly continue to slow roll their multiple investigations . . . meaning teams that might have an interest could continue to fret over signing him and THEN having him placed on the exempt list. The reason that is problematic is that whichever team signs AB would then have to pay him while he sits for these investigations to be completed (which the league will be in no rush to complete . . . especially with all their attention, energy, and resources being devoted to COVID). And after that he STILL could be suspended (but not paid) for a certain number of games. Of course, while all that plays out, Brown could have any number of incidents that would make the team signing him regret it before he even suited up for them (both the Raiders and Patriots say hi).
He would have a legitimate grievance if the league attempts to blackball him in this manner.  IMO, at least.

I think the NFLPA could make a valid argument that he has already served his sentence because of the way the league acted last season.

Anyone looking to trade for this guy? Get rid of this guy? For what?

I know I asked this not too long ago but with these little blurbs, it could change people's view points.
Someone gave him to me for a 6th round 2021 rookie pick. I have a guy that has been trying to get him and Derrick Henry from me. All the offers have been crap but I woke up to Chubb and Breida for Henry and Brown and am considering it. But I love Henry and have to admit I was wrong about what Hunt did to Chubb's ceiling last year. I'm probably keeping Henry but it feels like a close deal if I were to accept. 

So something like Breida (or like Duke Johnson maybe) for Brown?

He would have a legitimate grievance if the league attempts to blackball him in this manner.  IMO, at least.

I think the NFLPA could make a valid argument that he has already served his sentence because of the way the league acted last season.
Yes. They slow rolled this enough, it's been over 9 months and I would be very surprised if any suspension he has is not announced before camp.

Of course, while all that plays out, Brown could have any number of incidents that would make the team signing him regret it before he even suited up for them (both the Raiders and Patriots say hi).
Of course he could also be problem free like he was during most of his first 9 seasons.

They have already gotten away with similar behavior in the past. Look at Kareem Hunt. He got on the exempt list, signed, then suspended. And many suspended players have complained they requested to be reinstated and the process took forever. 

In Brown's case, he has had so many episodes and alleged incidents that the league could easily say it has been nearly impossible to chase down all the people they needed to talk to given the ban on travel and the virus situation. Teams still aren't even allowed to get together or practice. IMO, given the series of actions by AB, I am not sure his behavior would get him far if he were to file a grievance (which could also just add more to the timeline).

Also of note / question would be what the NFLPA would be able to do . . . is Brown even considered a current member of the league (he's not on a roster)? That's all above my pay grade in terms of what rights he has as a player based on his current "in limbo" status.

Anarchy99 said:
In Brown's case, he has had so many episodes and alleged incidents that the league could easily say it has been nearly impossible to chase down all the people they needed to talk to given the ban on travel and the virus situation.
The difference to me is that many of these "incidents" took place while he was not employed by any team.  I wonder if the new CBA clarifies any of this process?

The difference to me is that many of these "incidents" took place while he was not employed by any team.  I wonder if the new CBA clarifies any of this process?
Like I said, this type of stuff is clearly out of my domain. I am not sure how any of this works . . . can AB make a case that the NFLPA needs to back him even though he has not been on a roster . . . while at the same time arguing that many of his incidents should be excluded because they occurred when he wasn't on a team?

What we do know is that AB plead guilty to something in a court (and got probation) . . . which usually will get the league to hit someone with a brief suspension. But again, that was for something when he wasn't on a team. It wouldn't shock me that if pressed that Roger would say all 32 franchises were free to sign AB at any time and try to sweep everything under the rug. Goodell could also suggest that they are trying to get the teams on the field and move forward with the season as safely as possible and other matters will have to go on the back burner. IMO, a team needs to step up and sign Brown to really get the process expedited, even if they don't like the outcome. Then AB would stand a much better chance of filing a grievance that would get heard a lot faster than if he filed one now. He filed other grievances back in September that still haven't been heard.

What we don't know is if the league still needs to meet with Brown over any of these incidents and whether he has been avoiding them or what his input has been in any of this. If he has ducked interviews or has not fully participated, then the league may have more to stand on in terms of dragging their feet. To summarize, we really don't know much about what has been going on as not much has come out about it for quite a while.

tangfoot said:

Hmmm... legit grievance for being blackballed... that sounds oddly familiar...

ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports the Ravens are not being considered as a “potential future destination” for free agent Antonio Brown.

Brown had recently been linked to both Seattle and Baltimore but Anderson reports the free agent “has not been earnestly discussed” as a potential option for the Ravens. He’s also infamously been spotted working out with Dwayne Haskins this offseason, and it arguably remains likely he signs with an interested suitor in camp (pending review of his case). The Seahawks still appear to be the leading candidate for Brown’s services if the team fails to re-sign Josh Gordon.

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

, Baltimore Ravens

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Jun 24, 2020, 5:31 PM ET

Antonio Brown's potential 'Hawks fit; Should Jets pay Adams?

Excerpt:

But first, weighing how Antonio Brown could fit in with the Seattle Seahawks ...

If you're surprised by the Seattle Seahawks' interest in Antonio Brown, you haven't been paying close attention to how Pete Carroll and Co. have built a perennial contender in the Pacific Northwest. The Super Bowl-winning head coach isn't afraid to take on ultra-talented players with troubled backgrounds if they are hardworking, competitive and willing to buy into a team-first attitude.

Brown certainly checks off a few boxes on that list, as a four-time All-Pro with seven 1,000-yard seasons and four 10-plus touchdown campaigns with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's an explosive playmaker capable of scoring from anywhere on the field on a variety of vertical throws and catch-and-run concepts. The 31-year-old Brown's electric playing style jumps off the screen when studying the game tape.

However, looming over Brown's future is the investigation being conducted by the NFL into the civil sexual assault and rape allegations that led to his release last year from the New England Patriots. Any team, including the Seahawks, that considers signing him will have to take that ongoing investigation into account, as well as the potential that Brown could face discipline and a possible suspension as a result of the investigation, or from the burglary and battery charges to which he pleaded no contest earlier this month.

Separately, teams will have to consider the sideline tantrums and cryptic social media posts that cloud his evaluation, as well as the contentious end to both his time with the Steelers and his brief tenure with the Raiders. I obviously am not privy to the debate that is surely being waged in the Seahawks' meeting rooms. But presuming his off-field situation plays out in a way that allows them to proceed, I believe Brown would enhance their chances of making another run at a Super Bowl.

Here are three reasons the Seahawks should consider signing Brown:

1) Brown could thrive in the Seahawks' culture.

Despite the acrimonious way the All-Pro closed out his relationships with the Steelers and Raiders (which included clashes with ex-Pittsburgh teammate JuJu Smith-Schuster and Raiders general manager Mike Mayock), and depending on how his off-field situation plays out, the team could come to view Brown as a great fit, due to his talent, work ethic and energy. Over the bulk of his career, the 11th-year pro developed a reputation as a worker bee that is second to none, someone whose competitive spirit as a football player would mesh with the team's persona. Moreover, Brown is an elite playmaker with the kind of talent that encourages teams to explore ways to make it work.

Last year, the Seahawks considered bringing Brown on board after he was released from the Raiders. Seattle's interest took some observers by surprise, but it went hand in hand with Carroll's plan to improve the roster at every turn.

"Why wouldn't you?" Carroll told reporters after word leaked out about the team's interest in Brown following his release from the Raiders. "He's a great player. Not everything is always what it seems. You've got to check into stuff and figure out what's going on. I have confidence in our guys and (GM) John (Schneider), and our coaches that we can figure those things out and see what's best. I don't mind getting real close to the edge of it and figuring it out."

Although Carroll walked that statement back a few weeks later, after Brown was released by the Patriots, it speaks to the mentality of the Seahawks coach and their team-building approach. The ultra-energetic leader is resolute in his desire to add blue-chip players to the roster, even if it means sometimes entering into risk-reward scenarios.

Remember, the Seahawks added Marshawn Lynch when he was considered a malcontent at the end of his tenure with the Buffalo Bills. The team also took an apparent risk in drafting Frank Clark, who was dismissed from Michigan because of domestic assault allegations, and Clark played four full seasons before being traded to the Chiefs for a first-round pick.

Again, Seattle will have to take into account Brown's past issues. But he has also demonstrated that he can be a competitive, hard-working player with a dynamic game that produces fireworks on the field. His practice regimen is considered legendary in football circles, with few players capable of matching his energy, intensity and tempo. The diligent work helped the veteran become the undisputed top player at his position as recently as 2018.

In Seattle, Brown's energy and competitiveness could fit well on a team built on individual and collective competitiveness. The 'Hawks sprinkle in competitive periods throughout practice, including one-on-one and seven-on-seven periods, with the starters competing against each other. With Brown known to embrace on-field challenges while diligently prepping for the next game, the four-time All-Pro is built to play for a team and coach who embody the "Always Compete" mantra.

2) The Seahawks' passing game could go from good to great.

Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf combined for 140 catches, 1,957 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns as the Seahawks' primary playmakers on the perimeter a season ago, but those numbers pale in comparison to Brown's production for most of his career.

Brown had six straight seasons with at least 100 catches and 1,000 yards prior to his abbreviated 2019 campaign. He's twice led the NFL in catches and receiving yards, while also pacing the league with 15 receiving touchdowns during his final full season (2018). His dominance as a WR1 should make him the center of attention whenever he steps onto the field, particularly from defensive coordinators attempting to slow him down on the perimeter.

With that in mind, Brown's presence would not only give quarterback Russell Wilson another dynamic weapon to target in the passing game, but he would create more one-on-one opportunities for Lockett, Metcalf and new tight end Greg Olsen. Defensive play-callers would undoubtedly use double teams on Brown or instruct the safety to lean in his direction on obvious passing downs. These tactics would give Lockett and Metcalf more space to work against CB2s and CB3s on the outside. The duo already combined for 28 plays of 20-plus receiving yards (including seven 40-plus yard receptions) as the team's top options in 2019 -- those numbers could skyrocket with the tandem facing lesser talents on the perimeter.

Remember, the threat of the Seahawks' potent running game poses a problem by forcing opponents to drop an extra defender into the box to slow down Chris Carson and Wilson on the zone-read. With Brown also commanding attention as a blue-chip playmaker, the Seahawks' aerial attack could overwhelm opponents that lack the personnel to match up with the emerging track team on the outside.

3) Brown's sandlot game meshes with Wilson's improvisational playing style.

When building an offense around the QB1, it is important to surround him with playmakers who complement his talents. Brown's spontaneity and creativity should work well with Wilson's impromptu playmaking ability outside of the pocket.

As an electric player with a sandlot game built on improvisation, the All-Pro pass catcher made a number of plays in Pittsburgh on an assortment of broken plays. Brown would change his routes on the fly when he sensed Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was in trouble in the pocket. The impressive telepathic communication between the duo made them nearly impossible to defend.

In Seattle, Wilson's improvisational skills and running ability should lead to more broken plays, with Brown shaking free from defenders on freestyle routes. The veteran pass-catcher has a combination of instincts, awareness and stop-start quickness that makes him hard to shadow when he's given more time and room to operate. If Brown's spontaneity is combined with Wilson's athleticism, improvisation and accuracy, the Seahawks could torch opposing defensive backfields with an assortment of scramble tosses thrown over the heads of defenders frantically attempting to shadow the pass catcher down the field.

On plays outside the tackle box, Wilson leads the NFL in passing attempts (333), completions (171), passing yards (2,308) and touchdown passes (21) over the past three seasons, according to Next Gen Stats. He also ranks second with 18 touchdown passes on the run (behind Jameis Winston's 19) over that span. Considering he's done it without a top 10 receiver at his disposal, the addition of Brown could push Wilson over the top as an MVP candidate.

Could have many different fantasy implications here.
Yeah, the first of which I think of is what happens to their base 12 personnel they just announced? You'd have to have one of Evans, Godwin, or Brown off of the field as your base offense. That sounds unwise. 

Tampa doesn't need such luxuries like Brown that will come with headaches like he might. But if they did, I'd imagine their base offensive personnel would become 11 and Godwin would move to the slot.  

Arians has worked with AB in the past and has said no way.

They have Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.

They have almost zero cap space.

I'm willing to believe that someone will give AB another shot, but it would shock me if it was the Bucs under Arians.

Arians has worked with AB in the past and has said no way.

They have almost zero cap space.
If/when AB is willing and able to sign one year prove it deal with some incentives as most suspect would be the going market rate for his services I think a lot of what Arians said previously and lack of cap space won't mean much.

If/when AB is willing and able to sign one year prove it deal with some incentives as most suspect would be the going market rate for his services I think a lot of what Arians said previously and lack of cap space won't mean much.
agreed.  Plus AB is probably out the first half of the year anyways.   He would be awesome for them in the second half and potentially the playoffs.   AB as your slot receiver?  doesn't get any better than that.

agreed.  Plus AB is probably out the first half of the year anyways.   He would be awesome for them in the second half and potentially the playoffs.   AB as your slot receiver?  doesn't get any better than that.
Yes, that's the other part of this his pay could be cut in half and this could be a cheap addition you only have to pay half a season to obtain.

People will counter with saying WR is not a need. It's not , not when everyone is healthy anyway.  But players don't always stay healthy, in a Covid season we should expect higher missed games then normal and no third WR for Tampa is remotely established. But really when you can add a guy who is at least still in the conversation for the being the best WR on the planet it's not really about need so much as understanding you just signed a 43 year old FA QB who might be the GOAT and every focus is about gearing up for right now.

Yes, that's the other part of this his pay could be cut in half and this could be a cheap addition you only have to pay half a season to obtain.

People will counter with saying WR is not a need. It's not , not when everyone is healthy anyway.  But players don't always stay healthy, in a Covid season we should expect higher missed games then normal and no third WR for Tampa is remotely established. But really when you can add a guy who is at least still in the conversation for the being the best WR on the planet it's not really about need so much as understanding you just signed a 43 year old FA QB who might be the GOAT and every focus is about gearing up for right now.
If AB knows he is going to be suspended, he could insist on a contract with a big signing bonus and a league minimum salary. His suspension would be a portion of his salary and not the signing bonus. That's what NE did with Brady. They converted a ton of salary to bonus money so his 4 game suspension was only a fraction of what it would have been.

If AB knows he is going to be suspended, he could insist on a contract with a big signing bonus and a league minimum salary. His suspension would be a portion of his salary and not the signing bonus. That's what NE did with Brady. They converted a ton of salary to bonus money so his 4 game suspension was only a fraction of what it would have been.
Yes but none of that escapes what I view as main premise as AB is not in a position to insist on a whole lot and whatever he gets from any team will not be in line with his talent and I do believe he understands his new current reality and leverage.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Buccaneers are not interested in free agent Antonio Brown.

Bruce Arians said as much back in March, stating "there’s no room and probably not enough money" to sign Brown at the end of the day. The 31-year-old free agent has been linked to the Ravens, Seahawks, and Washington the past few months and reportedly has a number of different suitors waiting to sign him (per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo) pending the review of his legal circumstances. It remains likely that Brown lands with a team at some point this summer. 

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Jun 30, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread