What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (1 Viewer)

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 9-of-13 attempts for 182 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 16 win over the Raiders.

Fitzpatrick took over for a struggling Tua Tagovailoa in the fourth quarter and got right to work doing typical Fitzpatrick things. he drove the length of the field and would have scored on his first drive since Week 12 had Mack Hollins not dropped a pass at the goal line. His only score came on a short pass that Myles Gaskin took to the house. The real heroics came out with less than 30 seconds left. He completed a deep shot to Hollins while a defended turn his head around by the facemask. The penalty yardage set Miami up for a game-winning field goal. Miami coach surprisingly named Tagovailoa as the team's starter after the win despite Fitzpatrick routinely looking better than Tagovailoa when given the chance.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:26 PM ET

Fitzpatrick had a 77.3 QBR, the 5th best in the league behind only Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen and Tannehill. Ahead of Brees, Jackson, Wilson, and Brady.  While Tua's QBR was 52.9, ranked 26th.

Why no love for Fitzpatrick? I think he deserves a shot at a starting gig.

Fitzpatrick had a 77.3 QBR, the 5th best in the league behind only Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen and Tannehill. Ahead of Brees, Jackson, Wilson, and Brady.  While Tua's QBR was 52.9, ranked 26th.

No doubt he was heads and shoulders better than Tua. If Tua with a full offseason looks as bad at the end of next year as this, there's a lot of reason to be worried.

Miami is his best fit (clearly IMO). Familiar with system and the drafted QB ahead of him showed very little his rookie season.

I view what you're saying as 2 different things: 1) no love for Fitz for his performance this year (he was clearly better than Tua this year); 2) starting QB market for a soon to be 39 year old QB with a career 59-86-1 record as starter over 15 seasons that'll likely have to learn a new system

Last edited by a moderator:

He has had plenty of shots at a starting gig. The bottom line is he is not a great or even good NFL starter. He is average. 

Average does not win Super Bowls. He will always throw a lot of picks. He is a great personality, great locker room guy, and a decent QB.

We need to keep moving forward and give Tua a full off-season. The kid was out essentially 12 months before he played live action. He lost his Senior year, lost 9 months to rehab, lost mini camp, QB camp, training camp.

I can’t believe the rush to judgement on a player who was undoubtably going to the be the #1 overall pick before that devastating hip injury (Maybe he slips to #3 with Burrows one year emergence...who knows). 

And I wanted Herbet and got laughed at on the 2019 Dolphins thread!!!! Everyone was like Nooooooo! Not Herbert!!!! LOL. yeah.....ok.

Back to Tua. He is undoubtedly going into 2021 as the guy. If not....they need to draft another QB at #3. If their is any question in the coaching staff and front offices mind about Tua being the guy.....cut your losses, draft another QB. 

Enough of this BS. 

But I think they are fully convinced Tua is their guy......they passed on Herbert for him. They gotta give him the benefit of basically a lost year for him coming into the league. And get that boy some weapons. He is not a gunslinger type. He is more of a Aikman type. Accurate, composed, play within the system. 

I like Tua. I like what I saw a lot. Fitzpatrick is simply not the answer. No way I have him start in 2021. Come on. I did not expect 10 wins, I did not expect post season. And even......even if Fitz was in there vs Buffalo. They still would have killed us. They are a much better team right now. In fact I say they will go to the Super Bowl if they maintain this level they are on. They are playing better football than any other playoff team right now. Better than KC, better than GB.....they are red hot. 

Josh Allen arrived. 

IN YEAR 3!!!!!

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports Ryan Fitzpatrick "believes he’s played well enough the past couple of years to get a chance to at least compete for a starting job with some team."

The Dolphins' commitment to Tua Tagovailoa as the team's starter means Fitzpatrick would have to look elsewhere this offseason if he wants a starting gig. Fitzpatrick was less than thrilled with Miami's decision to bench him at midseason in favor of Tagovailoa, who struggled throughout the second half of the season. The Broncos reportedly have interest in Fitzpatrick, though the team remains in the Deshaun Watson conversation. Drew Lock could be the latest young quarterback to lose his starting job to Fitz if he signed with Denver. The grizzled veteran has a lengthy history of unseating young signal callers, including Geno Smith, Jameis Winston, and Josh Rosen. The Dolphins will need to remove any and all competition for Tua to be the team's opening day starter. There's almost no chance Fitzpatrick returns to South Florida. 

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com 

Feb 26, 2021, 11:24 AM ET

He is the GOAT as far as bridge QBs go...Teddy Bridgewater should have a poster of him in his room.

ESPN Denver's John Clayton reports Ryan Fitzpatrick "looks like he's going to retire."

Fitzpatrick said last month he still believes he can be a starting quarterback. After spot starting with three teams the last five seasons, his playing future now looks up in the air. The Broncos are among the teams that reached out to Fitzpatrick, but they believe he's "going to be out of the mix." Fitzpatrick averaged 232 yards per game and had the highest completion-percentage (68.5%) of his career before getting benched for Tua Tagovailoa in Week 6. He turns 39 in November.

SOURCE: 104.3 The Fan

Mar 7, 2021, 12:49 PM ET

Fitzpatrick has done some great QBing the last 3 years. And showed great contagious enthusiasm. I don't think he retires, and will wait to see how the draft shakes out before making a final decision. Now that Rivers has retired, he's a shoe-in for most children at the QB position.

I sure hope he decides to give it one more shot as he is a fun player to root for and has some great moments the last few years. Denver sure seemed like a good fit with the weapons they have.

King of the Jungle said:
I sure hope he decides to give it one more shot as he is a fun player to root for and has some great moments the last few years. Denver sure seemed like a good fit with the weapons they have.
Definitely fun to watch QBs that are aggressive.  

He's a great backup but no one wants him as a starter.  He should realize this and roll with it, unless he's got other interests that he wants to pursue.  I would love it if the Colts had him as their back up.

He's a great backup but no one wants him as a starter.  He should realize this and roll with it, unless he's got other interests that he wants to pursue.  I would love it if the Colts had him as their back up.
You a Baltimore or Indy Colts fan? 

You a Baltimore or Indy Colts fan? 
I was a Baltimore Colts fan starting around 1965.  I didn't grow up in Maryland either.  Of course I continued as a Colts fan when they went to Indy, but did struggle with the name change from Baltimore Colts vs Indianapolis Colts at first, but I got over it.

You’re asking that question of Johnny U?
It's a fair question.  Those that don't know me well on this board take a look at my board name and automatically think I'm just a Baltimore Colts guy.  Most people from Baltimore who were Colts fans hate the Colts for leaving Baltimore and specifically hate the Irsays.  I didn't like Robert Irsay either and was upset when they left Baltimore for Indy, even though Indy was a short drive for me. I hated tradition being messed with.  I got over it however.   I didn't have ties to the city of Baltimore, only team Colts,  so it was natural for me to pull for the Indianapolis Colts as well.  I perfectly understand why those from Baltimore feel the way they do, since I've been a Colts fan for so long and from such a young age.  I don't mind Jim Irsay so much, but I liked Carroll Rosenbloom.  I remember when the Colts lost Shula to the Dolphins.  Rosenbloom was in the Orient on vacation and his son Steve gave the Dolphins owner Joe Robbie permission to talk to Shula and by the time Rosenbloom came back, Shula had already been signed by the Dolphins.  Rosenbloom objected to Pete Rozelle, saying he didn't give Steve permission, so Rozelle gave the Colts the Dolphins first round draft choice.  Some exchange huh?

ETA:  Turns out the first round pick the Colts got for the Shula tampering was Don McCauley RB in the 1971 draft.  Not a bad player and he had longevity, but a cheap price for Shula.  

....forgive my rambling off topic like that.  When asked about the Baltimore Colts I get carried away sometimes.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick does plan on playing in 2021.

There's been some public debate (and refuting reports) on Fitzpatrick's status for 2021, but Rapoport confirms the 38-year-old veteran intends on testing the market. The former stated as early as last month that he still thinks he can be a starting quarterback, and he'll likely have the opportunity to prove as much as a coveted option with experience. The Broncos remain an ideal destination if only to compete with Drew Lock.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 8, 2021, 4:21 PM ET

Let's all help keep Fitz in the game. He'll make a (6-10) bad team exciting to watch, at least. See if they can't get to 9-7 with him or maybe even -- gasp! -- 10-6 like he made the Jets that one year they missed the playoffs. (2015.)

It's a fair question.  Those that don't know me well on this board take a look at my board name and automatically think I'm just a Baltimore Colts guy.  Most people from Baltimore who were Colts fans hate the Colts for leaving Baltimore and specifically hate the Irsays.  I didn't like Robert Irsay either and was upset when they left Baltimore for Indy, even though Indy was a short drive for me. I hated tradition being messed with.  I got over it however.   I didn't have ties to the city of Baltimore, only team Colts,  so it was natural for me to pull for the Indianapolis Colts as well.  I perfectly understand why those from Baltimore feel the way they do, since I've been a Colts fan for so long and from such a young age.  I don't mind Jim Irsay so much, but I liked Carroll Rosenbloom.  I remember when the Colts lost Shula to the Dolphins.  Rosenbloom was in the Orient on vacation and his son Steve gave the Dolphins owner Joe Robbie permission to talk to Shula and by the time Rosenbloom came back, Shula had already been signed by the Dolphins.  Rosenbloom objected to Pete Rozelle, saying he didn't give Steve permission, so Rozelle gave the Colts the Dolphins first round draft choice.  Some exchange huh?

ETA:  Turns out the first round pick the Colts got for the Shula tampering was Don McCauley RB in the 1971 draft.  Not a bad player and he had longevity, but a cheap price for Shula.  

....forgive my rambling off topic like that.  When asked about the Baltimore Colts I get carried away sometimes.
And the play of the game was the throw to 33 tight end before the half to set them up at the two yard line. Correct?

And the play of the game was the throw to 33 tight end before the half to set them up at the two yard line. Correct?
Are you talking about the Oakland game?  Eddie Hinton was a WR, but yes, his big play was a huge play, but the play of the game was the 68 yarder to Perkins to put the game away.  I figured you were referring to the other thread.  Sorry if you meant something else.

Let's all help keep Fitz in the game. He'll make a (6-10) bad team exciting to watch, at least. See if they can't get to 9-7 with him or maybe even -- gasp! -- 10-6 like he made the Jets that one year they missed the playoffs. (2015.)
Fitz has been a tease with many teams, including the Jets. He was the Bucs highest rated QB in history, until the GOAT came. His play in Miami with no oline, no running game and WRs/TEs with no separation was remarkable. Fitz is peaking!

You have to think Denver, Washington, New England, NY Jets (if Darnold is gone), Chicago, and possibly New Orleans (if Brees is done) would consider him as a one year starter or at least give him a chance to start the season to groom a rookie.

I would be very happy for Washington to sign him, let him compete with beer man for the starting job. Between the 2 of them I'd be content compared to what we had last year (no offense to Alex Smith, but man he was playing on 1 leg and has no mobility left)  

Dolphins coach Brian Flores said the team has had talks about re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"We'd love to have him back, but this is a very unique year from the cap standpoint," Flores said. "Those conversations are fluid." Fitzpatrick has been linked to retirement rumors, but most signs point to him returning for another season. Fitzpatrick "still thinks he can be a starting quarterback" after winning four of his seven starts last year and completing a career- high 68.5% of his passes. Miami is unlikely to bring back Fitzpatrick, but there should be free agent offers for him to compete as a bridge quarterback.

SOURCE: South Florida Sun Sentinel

Mar 13, 2021, 11:05 AM ET

Washington Football Team signed QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, formerly of the Dolphins, to a one-year, $10 million contract.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, another $2 million is available through incentives. Schefter reports Fitzpatrick is "expected to head to camp as the starter, with competition from Taylor Heinicke." Looking at the money — Heinicke got $8.75 million for two years — it's a competition 38-year-old Fitzpatrick is all but assured of winning. Fitz will begin his Football Team tenure with a high-upside trio of weapons in Terry McLaurin, Antonio Gibson and Logan Thomas, and more help could be on the way. Fitz will have streamer value in OC Scott Turner's high-volume passing attack, and there will be awful defenses to attack in the rebuilding NFC East. Fitz's first touchdown for Washington will be for his ninth NFL team, breaking his own all-time record. 

RELATED: 

Terry McLaurin

, Taylor Heinicke

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 15, 2021, 11:06 PM ET

Not that I think a ton of people have Fitzmagic rostered for fantasy (maybe they do in 2QB leagues), but I am seeing that even after signing Fitzgerald, the "not Redskins" are still pondering a trade for Sam Darnold.

Not that I think a ton of people have Fitzmagic rostered for fantasy (maybe they do in 2QB leagues), but I am seeing that even after signing Fitzgerald, the "not Redskins" are still pondering a trade for Sam Darnold.
I don't believe that at all honestly. Maybe Darnold's agent is leaking that...or Jets trying to build up trade partners. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he was not promised the Washington Football Team's starting job in 2021. 

"I just want a chance to have the opportunity to compete" for the starting gig, Fitzpatrick said Thursday in his first press conference since signing with Washington. "I have the ultimate belief in myself, and I feel like whatever situation I'm put in, if I have a chance to compete, that's all I want." The Football Team was unlikely to hand Fitzpatrick the job after re-signing Taylor Heinicke following his impressive postseason showing against Tampa. There remains a chance Washington could move up in the NFL Draft and grab one of the draft's top quarterbacks. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Mar 18, 2021, 4:28 PM ET

Where are you ranking Fitz now that he is running the WFT offense? He is going for a ton of $ in my zealots auction.
I think he could easily be a top 10 fantasy QB. I base that one two things, his weapons and his division/schedule. The NFC East is HORRIBLE defensively. Washington should be able to score a lot of points in their division, and they only play 4 teams that finished in the top half of the league when it comes to points allowed. They play the 30th, 28th (twice) 25th, 23rd, 20th (twice) 19th, and 18th worst teams. 

I think he could easily be a top 10 fantasy QB. I base that one two things, his weapons and his division/schedule. The NFC East is HORRIBLE defensively. Washington should be able to score a lot of points in their division, and they only play 4 teams that finished in the top half of the league when it comes to points allowed. They play the 30th, 28th (twice) 25th, 23rd, 20th (twice) 19th, and 18th worst teams. 
Rivera will want him to be less of a gunslinger with that good defense. Top 10 seems a little high.

SoBeDad said:
Rivera will want him to be less of a gunslinger with that good defense. Top 10 seems a little high.
That was ceiling, but I'd say his floor is probably no worse than 15th. And that would still be a MASSIVE upgrade for Washington. 

SoBeDad said:
Sure that may be what he wants but I don't think you can take that mentality away in the heat of the battle.  He also has quality pass catchers that can win contested throws so the trust will be there.  I don't see him playing much differently that the past coulple years.  

ESPN's John Keim reports the Washington Football Team will "strongly consider" taking a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

The team, according to Ryan Fitzpatrick himself, did not sign the 38-year-old journeyman as the unquestioned Week 1 starter. With the No. 19 pick, Washington could have a shot at Kellen Mond out of Texas A&M, Florida's Kyle Trask, or even Ohio State's Justin Fields if QB-needy teams with top-10 picks sour on him. That is, of course, unless Washington trades up to have a shot at one of the top-five QBs off the board. For now, Fitzpatrick is the likely starter while Taylor Heinicke could see playing time if Fitz struggles in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 29, 2021, 8:06 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread