What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Polamalu DPOY (1 Viewer)

cr8f

Footballguy
From Rotoworld

The Associated Press selected Packers OLB Clay Matthews as the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year.

Just a 24-year-old second-year player, Matthews reeled off 13.5 regular season sacks to rank fourth in the NFL, and he's racked up 3.5 more in the playoffs. Matthews also had a 62-yard pick six and two forced fumbles in 2010. While Tamba Hali, Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs, and Cameron Wake all deserved consideration, Matthews is a fine choice for the NFC champs. The Packers now have back-to-back Defensive POYs. Charles Woodson won the award in 2009. Jan. 31 - 7:32 pm et

From RotoworldThe Associated Press selected Packers OLB Clay Matthews as the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year.Just a 24-year-old second-year player, Matthews reeled off 13.5 regular season sacks to rank fourth in the NFL, and he's racked up 3.5 more in the playoffs. Matthews also had a 62-yard pick six and two forced fumbles in 2010. While Tamba Hali, Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs, and Cameron Wake all deserved consideration, Matthews is a fine choice for the NFC champs. The Packers now have back-to-back Defensive POYs. Charles Woodson won the award in 2009. Jan. 31 - 7:32 pm et
Is he the youngest to ever win this?

Nice...and I hope they give Capers a raise and can keep him around...back to back DPOY from his defense.

Not Clay Matthews.Announced on NFL Network.NFL Twitter:

NFL Network and AP proud to announce: The AP 2010 Defensive Player of the Year is #Steelers S Troy Polamalu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do they always get this wrong? James Harrison should have won, just like Revis should have won last year. Mathews has 3 more sacks than Harrison (13.5 to 10.5). Fine. But Harrison beats Matthews in every other category:

Tackles: Harrison 100, Mathews 59

INT's: Harrison 2, Mathews 1

Recovered. Fumbles: Harrison 1, Mathews 0

Forced Fumbles: Harrison 6, Mathews 2

Passes Defensed: Harrison 5, Mathews 4

I mean come on. If Harrison blitzed as much as Mathews, Harrison would have 20 sacks. Mathews blitzes on virtually every play and has virtually no role in run defense. Over the course of the season, Mathews has failed numerous times on defense by over-pursuing the QB allowing the HB to run rampant off-tackle and he has been the victim of a plethora of HB screens because he cares about nothing else other than the sheer number of sacks.

Mathews is a dynamic big play fantasy IDP player, but those that vote on the awards should be able to look beyond 1 category.

Polamalu?This is a joke, right?
Over Harrison. Hard to imagine.
Maybe if Harrison could play the game within the rules, he'd have gotten more votes.ETA - and not whine like a ##### the whole time....
wtf are you talking about? Harrison actually stated something for about a week... other then that week or two the man never even talks to anyone.He gets held all the ####### time (choke holds no less) and doesnt even say a word to the refs.

Troy seems a better choice IMO. No offense to Matthews but no player makes a bigger difference to the defense.

Now I read this-

Green Bay - LB Clay Matthews fell two votes short of becoming the second consecutive Green Bay Packer to win the AP defensive player of the year award.

Steelers S Troy Polamalu won the voting with 17 votes to Matthews' 15 and LB James Harrison's 8.

Typical rotoworld jumps the gun

Troy seems a better choice IMO. No offense to Matthews but no player makes a bigger difference to the defense.
Except since he's been hurt he has missed a lot of tackles and hasn't been the player he could be.I hope Clay has a big chip on his shoulder over this.

Except since he's been hurt he has missed a lot of tackles and hasn't been the player he could be.I hope Clay has a big chip on his shoulder over this.
Do the voters consider the post season?In the post season, when he missed a couple televised tackles, he also switched from a up-close SS role to more of a center-field FS role, which caused some issues for the Steelers opponents.

Even a bigger joke. Polamalu wins the award?!?!?! WTF. Seriously? Seemingly the award winners mean no more than there crappy all-star game. This is quite the joke.

Agreed. Fuel to the fire. PERFECT.
Then James Harrison will have double the chip... well, twice as much as he already has. :cry:

FUBAR said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :goodposting: Troy's head & shoulders above Matthews. I'm surprised Matthews came so close, some real wacky tobacky must have been passed around before that vote was taken.

GridironMenace said:
Even a bigger joke. Polamalu wins the award?!?!?! WTF. Seriously? Seemingly the award winners mean no more than there crappy all-star game. This is quite the joke.
Are you even remotely serious? I'm no Steelers fan, but your feigned outrage is preposterous. Polamalu is an elite player.

Tony Jabroni said:
cr8f said:
FUBAR said:
:cry:If the DPOY argument even enters Matthews' head at all during the Super Bowl - or if he was not already as motivated to win as he possibly could be - it is to Green Bay's detriment, not their advantage.

Tony Jabroni said:
cr8f said:
FUBAR said:
:lmao:If the DPOY argument even enters Matthews' head at all during the Super Bowl - or if he was not already as motivated to win as he possibly could be - it is to Green Bay's detriment, not their advantage.
OK

I'll be a bitter Dolphins' fan right now and just point out that Clay Matthews had virtually identical stats to Cameron Wake this year. The difference between 14 DPOY votes and 0 you ask? Aaron Rodgers and an offense capable of producing points.

I'll be a bitter Dolphins' fan right now and just point out that Clay Matthews had virtually identical stats to Cameron Wake this year. The difference between 14 DPOY votes and 0 you ask? Aaron Rodgers and an offense capable of producing points.
also, roids

Matthews, Harrison, Peppers were also deserving but it's hard to argue any other defender had more significant plays this year. Polamalu had 4 game-changing/winning plays this year, most signifcant was the Baltimore strip sack. Without it the Steelers were likely the 6th seed rather than the 2 seed and likely never see the Super Bowl.

:thumbup:

That was my thinking.

I love Mathews, but to some extent he is a product of Capers' system (at least so far). A healthy TP would be an elite player in almost any defensive scheme I can imagine.

Yeah, well, if the rest of the defense didn't suck and the Bills made the playoffs, Kyle Williams would have run away withthe award. His play was ridiculously dominant this season. Steeper fans should know this well since Williams just about singlehandedly beat the Steelers.

Yeah, well, if the rest of the defense didn't suck and the Bills made the playoffs, Kyle Williams would have run away withthe award. His play was ridiculously dominant this season. Steeper fans should know this well since Williams just about singlehandedly beat the Steelers.
Who is Kyle Williams? :thumbup:

also, roids
Funny coming from a Vikings fan...a team that has actually had players test positive for banned substances.

also, roids
Funny coming from a Vikings fan...a team that has actually had players test positive for banned substances.
OK

FUBAR said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :lmao: :goodposting:

Troy's head & shoulders above Matthews. I'm surprised Matthews came so close, some real wacky tobacky must have been passed around before that vote was taken.
I see what you did there.

FUBAR said:
:thumbup: :lmao: :lmao: :goodposting:

Troy's head & shoulders above Matthews. I'm surprised Matthews came so close, some real wacky tobacky must have been passed around before that vote was taken.
TROY MISSED 2 full games and part of 2 others. He isn't healthy and missed a lot of tackles because of it. When healthy I would agree but he missed almost 1/4 of the season.

FUBAR said:

TROY MISSED 2 full games and part of 2 others. He isn't healthy and missed a lot of tackles because of it. When healthy I would agree but he missed almost 1/4 of the season.
He missed 2 full games and parts of 2 others, and yet still went on to win the DPOY?Wow, that is impressive. He definitely deserves DPOY then. :thumbup:

FUBAR said:

I was talking about the "head & shoulders" part.

Who is Kyle Williams? :excited:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/...ar-wrapping-up/

Well, and an overall defense that was better.But I agree...Wake was a monster this year and did not get enough credit.

GridironMenace said:
Are you even remotely serious? I'm no Steelers fan, but your feigned outrage is preposterous. Polamalu is an elite player.
Your right in that my "outrage" is "feigned" because, honestly, I couldn't give two shakes of a rats behind about who wins. With that said, I find it laughable when the media votes for players based upon fan popularity and not on field performance. First, Troy is a really good player, but then again we have to compare him to a bunch of players that are on the same talent level. So I don't really care if you consider him "an elite talent". They all are. Now move on to the stats.Great, Troy had 7 picks. What else did he do? He had 1 sack, 1 FF and 64 tackles. Troy is one of the reasons why the biggest weakness on the Steelers is their pass D. No matter what the media tells you, Polamalu can't cover WR's or elite TE's well. He had 7 picks, because he is really good at not having a responsibility and having the latitude to read the QB and step in front of a pass. Additionally, I've seen Polamalu miss several tackles, most notably 2 weeks ago when Ray Rice ran right through him. Jairus Byrd had 9 INT's last year in 14 games, but he didn't win DROY. Just sayin'.

GridironMenace said:
Your right in that my "outrage" is "feigned" because, honestly, I couldn't give two shakes of a rats behind about who wins. With that said, I find it laughable when the media votes for players based upon fan popularity and not on field performance. First, Troy is a really good player, but then again we have to compare him to a bunch of players that are on the same talent level. So I don't really care if you consider him "an elite talent". They all are. Now move on to the stats.Great, Troy had 7 picks. What else did he do? He had 1 sack, 1 FF and 64 tackles. Troy is one of the reasons why the biggest weakness on the Steelers is their pass D. No matter what the media tells you, Polamalu can't cover WR's or elite TE's well. He had 7 picks, because he is really good at not having a responsibility and having the latitude to read the QB and step in front of a pass. Additionally, I've seen Polamalu miss several tackles, most notably 2 weeks ago when Ray Rice ran right through him. Jairus Byrd had 9 INT's last year in 14 games, but he didn't win DROY. Just sayin'.
Wow, if this is how you judge Troy's impact you either haven't watched the Steelers play or you just don't understand the game of football.

Close vote that could have gone either way, but Matthews didn't really have a (perceived) season-changing play like Polamalu did against the Ravens, so that was probably the tiebreaker for some.

Close vote that could have gone either way, but Matthews didn't really have a (perceived) season-changing play like Polamalu did against the Ravens, so that was probably the tiebreaker for some.
True...I think what put him up as high as he was (Matthews this is)...is seeing how this Packer D looked without him in there (2nd half against Washington and against Miami).

Users who are viewing this thread