What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

Honestly, I don't think it matters much what you choose as they all basically offer the same package. Roku, Chromecast, and Amazon all offer a device between $35 and $50, so the price isn't a big separator (AppleTVs run 3x the cost and unless you are in the Apple ecosystem, don't offer anything extra). Personally, I prefer the FireTV's (even after this most recent hiccup) because it is very easy to load Kodi. Last I looked, you couldn't do that natively on the other devices. 
Thanks.  What I mean is that some of those devices might not work with some of these services, though I'm not sure which device and which service specifically.  Roku, the 2nd gen chromcast, and the firesticks seem to work with just about everything from what I can tell.

Anyway, I checked with my current internet/TV provider - who as far as I know is the only internet provider available to me, and I think they know it.  It would cost me $90/m (before taxes) to have just their internet service (current speed is 180/6 or so - don't really care about the upload speed).  I'm currently paying ~160/m (so $70/m more) to have their TV package which includes all my locals, HD service, their "X1 DVR" box (can talk to the remote, which integrates with Netflix which is cool), and I think over 100 channels (including lots of sports channels including NFL network).  I just don't think I can accomplish something similar with a streaming service for a lower monthly cost, especially considering I'd have to buy new hardware.

Thanks.  What I mean is that some of those devices might not work with some of these services, though I'm not sure which device and which service specifically.  Roku, the 2nd gen chromcast, and the firesticks seem to work with just about everything from what I can tell.

Anyway, I checked with my current internet/TV provider - who as far as I know is the only internet provider available to me, and I think they know it.  It would cost me $90/m (before taxes) to have just their internet service (current speed is 180/6 or so - don't really care about the upload speed).  I'm currently paying ~160/m (so $70/m more) to have their TV package which includes all my locals, HD service, their "X1 DVR" box (can talk to the remote, which integrates with Netflix which is cool), and I think over 100 channels (including lots of sports channels including NFL network).  I just don't think I can accomplish something similar with a streaming service for a lower monthly cost, especially considering I'd have to buy new hardware.
I think that all the big name devices (Roku, Fire TV, Chomecast, Apple TV) work with about everything that people want (Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, Youtube - although there is a slight workaround that the Fire devices need, all the streaming cable companies, etc.). The only big differences, to my knowledge, are Kodi with the Fire devices, and Apple's ecosystem with Apple TV. 

I think you would save a little money going with streaming, but the content available with Comcast/DirecTV/Time Warner still outpaces any of the streaming options, specifically local sports channels for most of the US. For me personally, we are probably saving close to $50/mo ($35 for DirecTV Now vs DirecTV which varied between probably $60 and $100 depending on the current discounts I had). 

The biggest issue I see going forward with streaming, is the data caps that most of the providers have. I used about 600 GB of data last month in total, but once 4k becomes standard, that will quickly jump over the 1TB limit that Comcast has (unless you pay $50 more a month), and I'm already at the limit that Century Link has of 600 GB.

The biggest issue I see going forward with streaming, is the data caps that most of the providers have. I used about 600 GB of data last month in total, but once 4k becomes standard, that will quickly jump over the 1TB limit that Comcast has (unless you pay $50 more a month), and I'm already at the limit that Century Link has of 600 GB.
Yeah, I think we'll see the same.  We do some streaming now already (Netflix and Hulu), and the wife works from home, and we already use 200-300 gb a month.  Going all out streaming and we'll quickly be right up there with you. 

Was really hoping that just internet to the house would be around $50/m, but at $90/m it really makes these streaming TV options less of a deal.

The caps were raised a couple of years ago and it would not shock me if it gets raised again as the technology improves and people continue to switch to the streaming model.

By the way, does any one know why the data caps seem to be on a state by state basis?  Some states have them, some don't, even for the same providers.  I am lucky that Comcast in Mass does not have a data cap but I am unsure why.

Holly smokes.  Doesn't that come out to about 4 movies per night?  I have no idea where I'm at, but, I don't watch that much tv.  

Averaged 125GB a month over the last 4 months.   That seems about right ~25 movies worth, we stream a little something most nights before bed.   Unless you have 5 kids all watching different things I have no idea how you get near 600GB.  

Averaged 125GB a month over the last 4 months.   That seems about right ~25 movies worth, we stream a little something most nights before bed.   Unless you have 5 kids all watching different things I have no idea how you get near 600GB.  
you must use the net relatively little.  That 125gb size is less than some single game downloads.

I have a family of three, one of which is away at college, we don't have streaming TV yet (we do use netflix but still have a sat dish for regular tv) and we are running at about 400g per month.  Once we dump DTV and go full time streaming, I can see getting closer to the 1tb cap limit but hopefully staying safely under.

Last edited by a moderator:
The data cap went from 300g to 1tb back in late 2016.  Hopefully in the next couple of years they will bump to at least 2tb.

The gaming community, who are likely to be the loudest voices, are the one who are going to be affected the most since they are pushing the 4k envelope the fastest.

Games are so big now, that just downloading the game itself can be close to 200g alone, much less the online game play.

tonydead said:
Holly smokes.  Doesn't that come out to about 4 movies per night?  I have no idea where I'm at, but, I don't watch that much tv.  
My wife is at home all day with our daughter and another kid she watches. I bet she has the TV on for 2-3 hours a day in the living room, plus a couple hours when I get home. Google Wifi breaks it down by device. The living room was close to 300GB, our bedroom was about 100 GB, the home computer was about 100 GB, and we had another 100GB or so between various other devices (TV in the workout room, theater TV, my work computer, our phones, etc.). 

tonydead said:
My family is currently using 900g of data per month and we haven't even cut the cable yet.  My wife is on netflix a bunch and my kids are on xbox live or youtube.  I have wanted to cut the cord, but my internet is already costing me $150 per month for the fastest service with the highest data cap the company offers (one big disadvantage to living in a smaller town, I only have one choice for internet provider), and I am right at that cap every month.  Friends tell me it is not possible that I could be using that much, but I have my router on pretty high lockdown and whenever I check it we are the only ones on it.

will i see better performance regarding buffering with a hard line connection vs wifi???
Your wifi might not be the limiting factor.  Can you run speedtest.net on something hardwired and something on wifi and compare them?

NewlyRetired said:
you must use the net relatively little.  That 125gb size is less than some single game downloads.
Relatively, I guess so. It just seems hard to fit that much data in that amount of time if you aren't constantly downloading or seeding torrents.  But I'm old. I still read books and go outside once in a while. 

What are we talking a gig or two per hour streaming with all the pseudo hd and compression going on?  That's some serious internet/tv consumption for some of you.  

I've had Sling for 3-4 years now and just had my first customer service experience with them. They were fantastic on that. Got a human on the phone in just a few minutes in what I assume was a peak time (6PM). The Sling issue was a very minor one I just couldn't get figured out, but the lady was great as she even told me how to get the damn Roku to stop talking to me.

I still haven't gotten around to checking out other streaming services. Sling isn't perfect, but it's $20 service works fine for me. I'd prefer to keep it in that range as opposed to $35-40 for a bunch of channels I don't watch that appears to be where the rest of the market is heading.

And the Roku stick has come a long way. I've got 3 Roku's 2/3's from a few years ago that are starting to have issues. Went with the Stick as the first round of phase outs, and it's much nicer than a Stick I got years ago. The volume and on/off controls for the TV are a huge upgrade over older Roku's. I really didn't even know they'd made those upgrades.

Long story short:  I got Directtv a while ago and they then called me back offering DTVnow for free for 3 months so I decided to give it a chance over the weekend.

In a nutshell it is a piss poor product.  Everything about it is clunky.  Granted a lot has to do with the limited Firestick control but all in all its terrible.  Was wondering if anyone else had experience with it.   On a lot of the shows they were still weeks behind in there catalog.   Atlanta, Fear the Dead, Americans etc were all not up to date and I dont have my local channels like I was promised.   There is no DVR and there is no fast forward through commercials.  I mean for Gods sake why would anyone choose this route?

Is hulu better then this?

Brought all the cable boxes back to Spectrum yesterday and turned off the cable service. Kept internet and phone ( lousy cell coverage). On the phone muliple reps said keeping 200/20 was $99 with phone service or $120 for 400/20. I asked rep in person what the cost of increasing to 400/20 and she said $89. Sold.

DTVN working very well. Hopefully the 2.0 update adding DVR and 5.1 live tv is coming in the next few weeks.

I contacted DirecTV Now, they initially offered a $10 credit to my credit card. I told them that was disappointing, they then offered to refund enough to get a sick. I told the rep that I was going to have to spend over $200 replacing the devices in my house to the newer generation devices. I was then offered a $40 refund and a $40 bill credit, which I accepted. 

Given the situation (and how slow and ####ty the old fire sticks are anyway), I think Amazon and DirecTV did right by me. 
Finally got around to contacting Amazon today with this as DTV Now doesn't work with Fire TV box 1st gen. I had just dusted off Roku to use DTV Now the last couple weeks but greatly prefer using Fire TV.

They offered the same credit to me for free Fire TV stick but really wasnt interested in a stick based on past experience (which led me to sending back the stick for the fire tv box). I had nothing but buffering issues with the stick....albeit 3 years ago I believe. They finally offered to send me the newest gen fire tv box for free. I still have to buy a new keyboard given no USB on the newer Fire TV boxes (I just prefer to use a keyboard and not the remote). All in all, can't complain. Amazon customer service always comes through.

Edit: Calling Amazon worked a lot better than through their online support. I waited for probably 30 minutes with their online support and didn't get a resolution.

Finally got around to contacting Amazon today with this as DTV Now doesn't work with Fire TV box 1st gen. I had just dusted off Roku to use DTV Now the last couple weeks but greatly prefer using Fire TV.

They offered the same credit to me for free Fire TV stick but really wasnt interested in a stick based on past experience (which led me to sending back the stick for the fire tv box). I had nothing but buffering issues with the stick....albeit 3 years ago I believe. They finally offered to send me the newest gen fire tv box for free. I still have to buy a new keyboard given no USB on the newer Fire TV boxes (I just prefer to use a keyboard and not the remote). All in all, can't complain. Amazon customer service always comes through.

Edit: Calling Amazon worked a lot better than through their online support. I waited for probably 30 minutes with their online support and didn't get a resolution.
FWIW, I didn't like the old sticks very much. They were fine for TVs that didn't get much use, but I also had a buffering issue. The Gen 2 sticks are much faster and I haven't experienced any excessive buffering.

will i see better performance regarding buffering with a hard line connection vs wifi???
If you use wifi and have dual band, use 5.0 for better throughput. 5.0 doesn’t have the same distance, so you may be limited depending on size of house/apt and location of router.  Hard line will probably have less interruptions.

FWIW, I didn't like the old sticks very much. They were fine for TVs that didn't get much use, but I also had a buffering issue. The Gen 2 sticks are much faster and I haven't experienced any excessive buffering.
I just noticed this AM there was an update available for DirectvNow App so I uninstalled and reinstalled and DTV Now is working again on old Fire TV box. :lol:  (for now anyway)

I had tried do the same the past couple weeks (uninstall/reinstall) and didn't change anything (it'd just take me to login screen and the app would force close after about 3 seconds).

Fire TV vs. Fire TV stick

I have a gen 1fire stick and I hate it.  Slow and clunky. Will a newer stick be any better or do I just need to go with TV?

I am about as low tech as a person can get for you younger folks think your parents and multiply that by 100.I am getting rid of Directv and Century Link internet and phone service and replacing them with Comcast.Century link had no cap on their service but the speed was slow.The customer service rep tried to explain everything to me but it was like Charlie Browns teacher was speaking to me you know blah blah blah.So comcast does have a cap and I am wondering if I should pay an extra 25 a month for unlimited data which would put me at 75 bucks a month keep the original plan or just stay with Century Link.I will be using Hulu live to replace Directv we also use Netflix.I have a special needs daughter who watches tv probably 10 hours a day.My wife and I probably watch on avg 4 or 5 hours a day.Plus of course I use my lap top to come here and other spots.We don't down load anything and I could barely play pong when it came out so there is no gameing .We do use Mobdro and Terrarium.Would that put us over the limit?Should I go with the unlimited plan.Thanks for helping a dummy it is appreciated.

I am about as low tech as a person can get for you younger folks think your parents and multiply that by 100.I am getting rid of Directv and Century Link internet and phone service and replacing them with Comcast.Century link had no cap on their service but the speed was slow.The customer service rep tried to explain everything to me but it was like Charlie Browns teacher was speaking to me you know blah blah blah.So comcast does have a cap and I am wondering if I should pay an extra 25 a month for unlimited data which would put me at 75 bucks a month keep the original plan or just stay with Century Link.I will be using Hulu live to replace Directv we also use Netflix.I have a special needs daughter who watches tv probably 10 hours a day.My wife and I probably watch on avg 4 or 5 hours a day.Plus of course I use my lap top to come here and other spots.We don't down load anything and I could barely play pong when it came out so there is no gameing .We do use Mobdro and Terrarium.Would that put us over the limit?Should I go with the unlimited plan.Thanks for helping a dummy it is appreciated.
bump. Thanks

I am not a fan of hulu live. Lots of buffering (an insane amount during sporting events) and the layout is a bit of a mess. There is no guide and they still haven't really figured out a good way to separate live stuff from their massive on demand library. The one benefit of hulu live is that if you already pay hulu for their regular product you save a bit of money by using them for live tv as well.  Vue, Directv Now, and Youtube TV are all way better from a technical perspective in my opinion. I started out with Vue but have tried them all at some point over the last year or so.

I rank them: Directv Now>Ps Vue>>Youtube TV>>>>>>Sling>>hulu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fubo

Edit: I forgot to include sling. Also, there is around a 30 second delay on anything that's live, beyond that it's real time. Depending on what market you are in these services may or may not offer local channels so if that's important you need to check beforehand. 

Go with the data cap plan and see how it goes.  I'm guessing with that many hours of TV per day, you'll go over and want the unlimited, but it doesn't hurt you to give it a shot at the lower price.

I’m hoping one of you smart guys can help me figure out my setup for streaming. I just got fiber with TDS.  I have an ASUS RT-AC68u router. When I plug my laptop into the ONT, I get ~500Mbps.  When I plug it into the wall jack behind my TV, same speed.  When I connect my router to the wall jack, I get ~400Mbps on WiFi.  When I plug my laptop into the router, I get 100Mbps. 

1. Laptop Ethernet is 1GB and both the laptop and router show the connection as 1GB. 

2. I’ve used all Ethernet cables in this setup to get ~500Mbps direct from wall jack to laptop, so I don’t think it’s a bad cable. 

3. I’m stumped.  This router should be able to handle these speeds easily. 

Google shows many people asking the same question, but nobody coming back and saying that the suggestions worked.

Okay, I'm trying to sort out the World Cup.  I'll take notes as I go.

All games appear to be on Fox or FS1.  I can't watch during the work day, so the weekend games run from 6/16 - 7/15.

I'll start with the streaming services.

At https://streambuzz.net/streaming-services-comparison/, I see the following packages have FS1: Sling Blue, Vue Access, Fubo, DirecTV Now Live A Little, Hulu, YouTube TV.

Grand Rapids is the closest city, but I don't know if I can rely on the listings for GR.  If so, Fox isn't included in YouTube or Vue.  I'll have to check Sling, since it isn't listed.

I have Fire TV, and Fubo doesn't run on it.  That leaves Sling Blue, DirecTV Now, and Hulu - I need to verify they'll get Fox.  Note that I did a trial with Hulu around the Olympics and it had the worst user interface I can imagine.

Going to http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-local-channels-work-on-Sling-TV, I enter my zip code and it says Sling can get Fox On-Demand.  I'm guessing that means no live soccer.

Going to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels, I enter my zip code and it says DirecTV Now can get Fox!

Holy crap am I getting agitated trying to look at Hulu's site.  I'm ruling it out.

Thinking further, I decided to check Fox Sports Go.  Per http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2018/02/20/fox-sports-2018-fifa-world-cup-russia-presentation-features-unprecedented-38-matches-live-network-television, I can watch all streaming Fox sports through it.  However, per https://www.foxsports.com/fsgo-faq, I can't just order FSG a la carte, it's only available if I have the channels in my lineup.  It works on Fire TV.

Per https://streambuzz.net/streaming-services-comparison/, I can get Fox Sports Go to work with a login from Vue, DTVN, YT, hulu, fubo, or Sling.  So, I can compare those, then just use the Fox Sports Go app on my Fire TV.

Comparing them, I see that Sling Blue is $25 and DirecTV Now Live a Little is $35.  I don't really trust that Sling Blue will get me a fully functional Fox Sports Go login, but I'll use a trial to see if it works.  If not, I'll do a DirecTV Now trial.

Cut the cord last night and hooked up Directv now this morning. Not even 5 minutes into it I get an error message while trying to watch last weeks Fear the Waking Dead. Doesn't bode well for them in my opinion. Going to try as many of the free options I can before deciding on which one to actually pay for. Only thing I noticed they didn't have was a CBS feed and no nfl network. If this works then I won't be an ota antenna.
I cut the cord about 6 weeks ago and using DTVN. We like the service. Once in a while, maybe every few days,  video will freeze for 15-30 seconds. Last night DTVN was having streaming issues for about 30 minutes in a lot of cities.

Cut the cord last night and hooked up Directv now this morning. Not even 5 minutes into it I get an error message while trying to watch last weeks Fear the Waking Dead. Doesn't bode well for them in my opinion. Going to try as many of the free options I can before deciding on which one to actually pay for. Only thing I noticed they didn't have was a CBS feed and no nfl network. If this works then I won't be an ota antenna.
My Playstation Vue service has been error free for months now.... probably because they're losing out to DTVN and Sling, so I have all of Vue's bandwidth to myself.  :popcorn:

Now comes decision time. Glitching and playback issues have marred my trial week of Directv Now. I actually like the service but am curious as to how Sling compares. My trial ends tomorrow so did I keep it or try the Sling? I'm leaning towards trialling Sling just to compare. 
Try YoutubeTV?

Just do what I did. Look at which streaming service has the channels you want them subscribe to their free trial. If you have more than 1 service that has what you want then try all of them. (((Spoilers))) if you have a first gen fire stick you may not be able to get all off the streaming services due to hardware requirements. So an upgrade to a newer fire stick or roku is needed.
Another option is to go without service for a while.  Watch the tons of great Netflix and Amazon series, use an antenna for network sports, and see if you miss having live TV.

I am actually doing the free trial for YouTube TV and DirecTV Now for a week. I tried PSVue when it first came out, and found that it was lacking. I recently got a Vizio 65 in E series "monitor". It does not have a tuner so I cannot simply run coax from an HD antenna to get my local channels, which are spotty due to the distance to the towers. So, local channels are am important part of the equation. 

YouTube TV has all network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and even CW). The locals are from Green Bay WI, which is about 90 min away, but not a big deal. DirecTV Now does not offer any local options for me at this time. 1 point for YouTube.

The YouTube interface is very intuitive, and follows their YouTube online format closely, so if you like that, you will like YouTube TV. It feels very light and quick. No lags. DirecTV Now has a more complicated look and feel, and is very laggy (moreso on my Roku Streaming Stick+ vs my Fire TV box). Another point for YouTube.

Channel selection. YouTube TV offers one option, and is missing several channels that I may or may not miss over time (HGTV, FOOD Network, etc.). It does have a good selection of channels I actually do watch though, including Fox Sports WI sand the Big Ten channel. DirecTV Now has several channel packages, depending on the channels you need. I like the flexibility of changing packages depending on the channels I want at the time. For instance, I would need to get the $60 package with the NBA channel during that season since my son is a big fan. On the flip side, YouTube has that channel in their lineup already for $40. Hopefully YouTube adds more channels in the future, but for now, a point for DirecTV Now.

DVR capabilities. YouTube TV has unlimited recording, but apparently there is some uproar about the recording actually reverting to the VOD of the show which is a big deal to some people. Not me. I like how easy it is to navigate to the recording in your library. For DirecTV Now, it is a similar experience, but I have not played back many recordings on either to be honest. DirecTV Now does limit your recordings to 20 hours in their beta, which is a deal breaker for my wife. Another point for YouTube TV.

Ease of use. This is a big one, since my experiment with PSVue a while back failed to launch because my wife and kids could not navigate the menu and guide. Fast forward almost two years and we have a YouTube TV interface that looks and feels like YouTube. Everyone in my household is an expert on YouTube so they "get" this right away. Again, it is very fast and the screen is organized so logically. The guide is refreshing, with big icons showing the channel and show. It really makes it easy to use. DirecTV Now has improved from last year, but the whole interface is dark and very busy. I love technology but find myself struggling to figure out how to get back to the guide or find my recordings. Not as intuitive as YouTube TV. And another point for YouTube TV.

Picture quality. Both are better than Dish. Period. I watched the same program, switching from Dish to YouTube TV to DirecTV Now. YouTube TV and DirecTV Now were considerably clearer pictures. And the sound was better too. 

A couple of disclaimers. I am using a new Roku Streaming Stick+ for these trials. Since Google and Amazon cannot get along, I cannot use the two Fire TV boxes that I own to test out YouTube TV. The Roku is 4K ready and is very fast with WiFi, even faster than my Fire TV box that is hard wired. And no buffering at all. I have 60 Mbps with Spectrum, but have had no problem with buffering or blur so far on either YouTube it DirecTV Now. The simple Roku remote is great and controls my TV volume and on and off.

Second disclaimer, I am heavily invested in Google products, including Android phones, Google Home speakers and the Google Assistant. With that said, YouTube TV just seems like a better product.

I am currently with Dish Network, paying about $120 per month for their Top 20 plus HBO, with a few credits expiring in July. As mentioned, there are a lot of channels there that I don't watch. YouTube TV is $40 plus another $15 for HBO Now puts me at $55 per month. DirecTV Now ranges from $40 to $65 including HBO for $5 a month. So half or less than what I'm paying now. Plus no weather outages with streaming, which have been a lot with Dish with the storms we have been having lately. Plus I could get rid of the dish on my roof.

Streaming has come a long way in the past two years. These two options are very good, but I am finding YouTube TV to be the better product so far. I can afford to pay the higher cost of Dish, but why should I?

I hope this post helps anyone who has questions about making the move to streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread