What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Am I crazy for thinking there is a difference in picture between streaming services?  I have a roku 4k on my 4k tv.  I have tried Sling and Directv now.  I like the layout of the Sling service better, but for some reason the Directv now seems to have a better picture, especially during sporting events.

Bear with me as I am new to this.

Thinking about either Sling, Hulu, or Roku.

None of these can get live TV? Interests are food shows, pro wrestling, Discovery Channel (this doesn't look to be an option)

Would love to watch wrestling live as well, but if it is delayed a day that is not a problem. DVR would be great. 

FoxSports and ESPN are a must. The add-ons I can figure out.

Already subscribe to Netflix and WWE Network.

Device used is Xbox 1.

Talk to me, FFA. :thumbup: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I crazy for thinking there is a difference in picture between streaming services?  I have a roku 4k on my 4k tv.  I have tried Sling and Directv now.  I like the layout of the Sling service better, but for some reason the Directv now seems to have a better picture, especially during sporting events.
You are not crazy at all. I had a terrible time with hulu's live tv service and with sling when I subscribed to those, while the others have been great in terms of quality. 

I've been using Directv Now the past few months and I really like it, but they don't offer the RedZone channel, so I'm switching to Vue here in a couple of weeks. If it's a conscious decision on their part it's very short-sighted of Directv to not make the ticket package available to their streaming customers. It won't be that long before the satellites are gone and Directv Now is the same thing as regular Directv. 

You are not crazy at all. I had a terrible time with hulu's live tv service and with sling when I subscribed to those, while the others have been great in terms of quality. 

I've been using Directv Now the past few months and I really like it, but they don't offer the RedZone channel, so I'm switching to Vue here in a couple of weeks. If it's a conscious decision on their part it's very short-sighted of Directv to not make the ticket package available to their streaming customers. It won't be that long before the satellites are gone and Directv Now is the same thing as regular Directv. 
I came in here to ask this question about RedZone.  So my fears are confirmed-no RedZone on DirectNow?  MF'er.

For guys that mount TVs on the wall, do these type of devices (Roku, Fire, Apple) all fit behind it well?  Hard to tell from pictures online
My TV had an issue with the Roku.  The stick went straight out the back and would hit the wall.  But Roku does it right.  You just fill out an online form and they send you a flexible connection for free, and that worked perfect.  It took about 3 days for it to show up. 

Bear with me as I am new to this.

Thinking about either Sling, Hulu, or Roku.

None of these can get live TV? Interests are food shows, pro wrestling, Discovery Channel (this doesn't look to be an option)

Would love to watch wrestling live as well, but if it is delayed a day that is not a problem. DVR would be great. 

FoxSports and ESPN are a must. The add-ons I can figure out.

Already subscribe to Netflix and WWE Network.

Device used is Xbox 1.

Talk to me, FFA. :thumbup: :ph34r:
You are mixing up some terms.

Roku is a piece of hardware (like Chromecast, Amazon Fire etc).  You use the piece of hardware (very cheap) to then access streaming services (like Hulu, DTV Now, YoutubeTV, PS Vue etc).  These streaming services all offer live TV.

Use this web site to get a look at every channel offered by the various streaming services.  There are tabs in the spread sheet that will give you additional information you will require to help make your choice.

https://streambuzz.net/streaming-services-comparison/

In terms of DVR, each service employs a DVR-like service but they differ in what they offer so if DVR is important to you, make sure you research each companies DVR-like service.

Also to note, many of the streaming services offer 1 week free so you can try them out to see what you like and dump them if you don't like with no cost.

Their using their monopoly they have with the NFL to try and keep their other monopoly, antiquated satellite tv, alive as long as possible.   They have to compete in the streaming market and can't charge nearly as much for regular channels plus contracts, plus taxes, plus equipment fees, plus BS.   I wish people would wake up.

I have a .edu but get hung up at providing anything remotely close to any current enrollment data.  But screw them anyway, that deal is still through Directv and the idea that I have to be a student or a non-student living somewhere I can't install a dish to stream the NFL is absurd.  You can't get the Ticket through DirectvNow even if you are willing to pay full price.  That is beyond stupid.

I noticed Brazil has a follow your team option for only $89.  I'm not going to do anything, see how good the reddit streams are this year and if I find myself frustrated not being able to watch a game that isn't broadcast nationally I will think about that option.  If it's far enough into the season it might be half that price.  And it will be going to nfl.com, not Directv.

I don't even care about the full ticket package, I just want the redzone channel. Really dumb, but oh well, happy to give money to Sony instead. 

I wish I would have bought into this earlier.  We cut the cable and went with Sling back in July.  I don't miss cable AT ALL.  Monthly bill went from over $300 to $35. Best part is the amount of stuff I am actually getting done now that I am not a slave to the random shows I would just get caught up in back when I had cable.

Best thing I’ve done in years. 

DTVNow also rolling out Sunday ticket in some markets (not NY yet :/ )

Started to play the DirectTV cancel and haggle game but a funny thing happened. We were canceled for a few days and I was talking with the wife about what she wanted when I made "the call" and she said she didn't really miss it at all. To be fair we have Netflix and an app that rhymes with 'Gerrarium' so it's not like we were going cold turkey. Bought an antenna for local channels, upgraded the firestick on the main tv to an nvidia shield, and currently testing an IPTV app that works really well. So here we all, accidentally on purpose cord cutters. 

I am liking the PsVue.  I liked Sling, but the picture did not seem as crisp on my 4k TV.  DirecTV now had potential, but I hated the layout and the lack of devices able to work on at once.  Service was down one night so that was the final straw.  Unfortunately I can't get youtube tv in my market yet and Hulu does not have NFL network so I am rolling with PsVue.  It is a little more expensive than Sling to get the channels I want, but it is still less than I was paying for DirecTV and the picture is much better than Sling.

I wish I would have bought into this earlier.  We cut the cable and went with Sling back in July.  I don't miss cable AT ALL.  Monthly bill went from over $300 to $35. Best part is the amount of stuff I am actually getting done now that I am not a slave to the random shows I would just get caught up in back when I had cable.
Yeah, it changed our family habits for the better.  I doubt many people will really miss Ice Road Hoarders or whatever they're currently DVRing when they drop cable.

Started to play the DirectTV cancel and haggle game but a funny thing happened. We were canceled for a few days and I was talking with the wife about what she wanted when I made "the call" and she said she didn't really miss it at all. To be fair we have Netflix and an app that rhymes with 'Gerrarium' so it's not like we were going cold turkey. Bought an antenna for local channels, upgraded the firestick on the main tv to an nvidia shield, and currently testing an IPTV app that works really well. So here we all, accidentally on purpose cord cutters. 

Yeah, it changed our family habits for the better.  I doubt many people will really miss Ice Road Hoarders or whatever they're currently DVRing when they drop cable.
:goodposting: s

:lmao:  Gerrarium

Unfortunately I still watch too much tv.  Having every show possible on demand anytime (without commercials to remind me) makes me obsessive compulsively track all shows and make sure I'm seeing the best of the best that tv has to offer.  And there is more good tv now days with Netflix/Prime/Hulu/etc. exclusives all getting into the tv show making business.

Anybody have a good place to go for reviews of the best shows, currently and upcoming? Highest rated with synopsis or something?  I used to use the FFA for that, but, less and less posters and I find myself not spending very much time here anymore.  For example I was turned on to Succession the other day by a FFA post, but, noticed today that a Sharp Objects thread exists that I never saw.  That thread didn't get much play even though some posts ranked the show right up there with the best.

I find myself wasting time watching one or two episodes of a series before finding out it's not worth continuing.  Sharp Objects is an example of one that worked out, randomly chosen by the wife.

Best thing I’ve done in years. 

DTVNow also rolling out Sunday ticket in some markets (not NY yet :/ )
Looks like Los Angeles, Phoenix, Boston, Philadelphia, San Antonio, Hartford, and Louisville for now. Nice to see it's heading in that direction at least. 

I think I've got my wife pretty onboard with this now, but don't necessarily wan to ditch all live programming - I'm reading up on the options like SlingTV, YoutubeTV and DirecTVNow - just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Sling with the Cloud DVR functionality seems like a decent option (I do realize it is not supported for all channels) so that you can watch a recorded show on any device, anyone with experience on this?

ETA: I am trying to go through the last 6-7 months of this thread, just figured I'd also ask to make sure I'm getting the most current info.

tonydead said:
Anybody have a good place to go for reviews of the best shows, currently and upcoming? Highest rated with synopsis or something?  I used to use the FFA for that, but, less and less posters and I find myself not spending very much time here anymore.  For example I was turned on to Succession the other day by a FFA post, but, noticed today that a Sharp Objects thread exists that I never saw.  That thread didn't get much play even though some posts ranked the show right up there with the best.

I find myself wasting time watching one or two episodes of a series before finding out it's not worth continuing.  Sharp Objects is an example of one that worked out, randomly chosen by the wife.
I use Metacritic, it’s pretty good about giving a quick synopsis of the show, critic’s reviews and viewer’s reviews on one page. 

Exact same story here. Netflix and Gerrarium combo. DTV was cut off two days ago, and was waiting on their call for sweet discounts, but really not sure I'm going to do it anymore.  What's everyone doing for NFL/sports?  Real test will be once the NFL/NHL season starts, if I can't find a decent stream for Preds/Titans/9ers, I may have to go back...

I've never used them but people swear by reddit for streaming links. In Nashville you should get the Titans OTA every week. There really isn't an option to watch out of market NFL games other than Sunday Ticket, so if you want to watch the Niners every week you're going to have to go look for streams. 

I've never used them but people swear by reddit for streaming links. In Nashville you should get the Titans OTA every week. There really isn't an option to watch out of market NFL games other than Sunday Ticket, so if you want to watch the Niners every week you're going to have to go look for streams. 
NFL Game Pass International is an option too.  You get RZC as well as every game.

Good point. I was thinking no funny business options but if we're talking streams we're past that anyhow. 

Exact same story here. Netflix and Gerrarium combo. DTV was cut off two days ago, and was waiting on their call for sweet discounts, but really not sure I'm going to do it anymore.  What's everyone doing for NFL/sports?  Real test will be once the NFL/NHL season starts, if I can't find a decent stream for Preds/Titans/9ers, I may have to go back...
Know anyone in college currently?  Look into NFL Sunday ticket (from Directv) for students.

Google, "reddit NFL Streams".  Take 30 seconds clicking around to find a working link.

or

VPN your IP address outside North America and you can get the full Gamepass from NFL.com.  It's going for around $150 and includes redzone, replay, NFL network, and all games no blackouts.  If you want all the games from just your team you can get that for $89.

I think I've got my wife pretty onboard with this now, but don't necessarily wan to ditch all live programming - I'm reading up on the options like SlingTV, YoutubeTV and DirecTVNow - just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Sling with the Cloud DVR functionality seems like a decent option (I do realize it is not supported for all channels) so that you can watch a recorded show on any device, anyone with experience on this?

ETA: I am trying to go through the last 6-7 months of this thread, just figured I'd also ask to make sure I'm getting the most current info.
Don't forget the old fashion, yet high definition, over the air antenna.  If you are just looking for all the local channels plus PBS, plus classic tv, plus some mexican channels live there is a good chance they are broadcast over the air for free depending how far you are from the city.

So in the select markets that it is offered, DirectvNow allows you to purchase the NFL Ticket for the regular price they want to charge on satellite.  Which begs the question again: why are we even still using satellites?

$300 divided by the 4 months of football plus the $55 you have to subscribe to DirectvNow puts that at $130 a month.  

:lmao:

Google, "reddit NFL Streams".  Take 30 seconds clicking around to find a working link.

or

VPN your IP address outside North America and you can get the full Gamepass from NFL.com.  It's going for around $150 and includes redzone, replay, NFL network, and all games no blackouts.  If you want all the games from just your team you can get that for $89.
Last time I tried NFL streams on reddit I was taken to a site and I was supposed to create an account to watch? I declined, but is that what you have to do?

or

Coming at you from São Paulo Brazil ??  :bye:

Last time I tried NFL streams on reddit I was taken to a site and I was supposed to create an account to watch? I declined, but is that what you have to do?
Just close that window and go back to the play button you pushed the first time that triggered the pop up and it should work the second time.  I think it's part advertising and part throwing off the scent.  

Also, scroll down a little and try different links, some don't have the pop ups and after a while you start to recognize which ones are reliable.

Cox sucks.  I was on a promotion for internet, which i didn't know, and it expired on aug 28.  Got a bill for all of aug and it was $30 more.  I asked, "so you are billing me $30 for 3 days?"  Rep couldn't give me an answer and couldn't offer any service i felt worth paying ($20 more than basically same speed as at&t).  Tried to cancel and they said that office is closed due to the holiday.  Wtf?

So, i skimmed the video. Are you happy with it? You able to watch feeds of live football games from local feeds? It looks pretty good. What do you need to run it? A Roku? Firestick? 
I love it, they are adding more channels today.  I’ll post what they added, supposedly some Aussie channels.  If you have a smart tv, you can download the app, else you’ll need a fire stick.  

Been unhappy with AT&T Uverse for awhile, and finally took the leap over the weekend to cut the cable.  Bought a Roku Ultimate for the main smart TV, and subscribing to Sling plus some extra channels for $50 / mo. + Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon (which we already had).  Bought Roku Smart Sticks for the other TVs.  Can stream Sling on up to 4.  Digital antennae on main TV for local channels.  Might add DVR on Sling for another $5/mo.  All told, saving about $75 a month without much degradation in choice between what we watch. 

Love that I got everything down to one simple remote and smart TV allows me to seamlessly switch between local, smart apps and Roku.  Cleaner and more elegant in terms of usability.  And because crappy AT&T compressed the TV signal to garbage, the streaming channels look significantly better than the channels on AT&T. 

Even if I paid the same as I did, I'd be proud to be ditching the legacy cable model and all of its greed and poor support.  Adios.
In the process of doing this now - wife wants to keep the home number, so have ordered an Obi200 to use with GogoleVoice - just need to go through the hassle of porting the Uverse phone number to a mobile one (ordered a TMobile Sim card for this) and then port to Google Voice. If she didn't want to keep the number (we've had it almost 20 years, so I understand why she wants it) would just set up a new number with google.

Switching to Spectrum for internet service - should be much more stable and a lot faster.

I already have two FireSticks and a FireTV, so going that route over Rokus.

Once all that is in place, I'll play with the free preview options of Sling, YoutTube TV, etc. Certain channels my wife really wants, so I'm comparing options there to see what gets the most of what she wants. We already had Netflix and Amazon prime.

When all is said and done, should be saving close to $100 or more per month, which will quickly pay for any upfront costs if I need to add additional FireTVs or Sticks anywhere.

Been unhappy with AT&T Uverse for awhile, and finally took the leap over the weekend to cut the cable.  Bought a Roku Ultimate for the main smart TV, and subscribing to Sling plus some extra channels for $50 / mo. + Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon (which we already had).  Bought Roku Smart Sticks for the other TVs.  Can stream Sling on up to 4.  Digital antennae on main TV for local channels.  Might add DVR on Sling for another $5/mo.  All told, saving about $75 a month without much degradation in choice between what we watch. 

Love that I got everything down to one simple remote and smart TV allows me to seamlessly switch between local, smart apps and Roku.  Cleaner and more elegant in terms of usability.  And because crappy AT&T compressed the TV signal to garbage, the streaming channels look significantly better than the channels on AT&T. 

Even if I paid the same as I did, I'd be proud to be ditching the legacy cable model and all of its greed and poor support.  Adios.
Maybe you know this, but I didn't.  With Sling you can only stream ORANGE channels to 1 device at a time.  You can stream BLUE channels to 3 devices at a time.  Although true, Sling saying you can stream to 4 devices at once is misleading.

So, i skimmed the video. Are you happy with it? You able to watch feeds of live football games from local feeds? It looks pretty good. What do you need to run it? A Roku? Firestick? 
They have their own section but 3/4s of the preseason games were on live local feeds.  A few teams had oddball networks, but there was a good chance you could find the other teams feed.  

My strictly internet bill has creeped past 70 bucks.  Time to look at other options.  Jesus.
The only high speed internet option I have where I live would be $90 for internet alone.  Hitting $150 with their combo isn't so bad, when it's HD with a DVR they throw in. 

Does anyone here have Verizon Fios and PS Vue? I switched to Fios yesterday, and the PS Vue was working fine. I woke up today and now it won't connect to the server, on any device. I called both companies and PS said its an issue with the latest update on the Fios side. I'm waiting for a call back from Verizon, but in the meantime, I can't find any info on this issue on the internet. I've tried all the usual troubleshooting. Rebooted router and modem, unistalled and reinstalled the app, etc. Help?

ETA: Nevermind. I tried contacting PS Vue again, and they did an account reset and it seems like it fixed the issue.

Upon further review, signed up for DirecTV NOW.  Able to save $15 per months on channels we want (vs. Sling), plus can bundle HBO for $5, which saves another $10 versus what I thought we’d pay.  

And, local major networks thrown in!

And 20 hours DVR free!

No brainer.

Plus, agree with previous poster that picture quality is better than Sling.

I’m usually on the road for work during the week.  Bought another Roku stick that I’m using in my hotel room.  Great to be able to bring all my TV with me.

As fate would have it, hotel cable happened to be out, so saved me.  I like to have the news on while I work.

(DirecTV promotion is sending a free stick for prepaying a month, so I’ll return one I bought this weekend).

Next step is to renegotiate internet.  Maybe AT&T will bundle, but now I get 25Mbps and it drops out regularly, and for $45 I can get Spectrum 200Mbps, so they better make me a good deal and fix the quality issues, or I’m gone.  

This is a living example of why innovation and competition are good things.  I have some actual choice, and will net a big monthly savings with better convenience.
Leaning toward this route also, except can't get passed the "DirecTV" portion here.  We have regular DirecTV now and hate it.  I haven't tried the cancellation game with them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread