What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (6 Viewers)

I have no idea what this "year's Gerhart" means.
He's saying that next year, since Ingram will be leaving NO and going to a new team, he will be rated higher than he has been in the past. Because he'll potentially be leaving a RBBC team to be the lead back. Similarly the way Gerhart left a back-up role with the Vikings this year to be a starter for Jacksonville this year.
Thanks, I get that. What I mean is that all the Gerhart bell cow talk in Jacksonville is getting muddied with new talk of an RBBC. It's pretty difficult to project where Ingram will be next year or what his role will be.
obviously you can't predict where ingram will be next year or what his role will be.

all i'm saying is I think ingram is a guy (who similarly to gerhart) is viewed higher by the nfl than the shark pool/fantasy football community. as such, once he leaves NO I think he will see a spike in value

I also think for as much as sean Payton is lauded for his offense/playcalling/creativity, hes done an embarrassingly poor job of putting ingram in a position to succeed. particularly after spending a 1st round pick on him
I agree and I think Payton is stubborn to make his RB's fit his scheme rather than draft/acquire ready made scheme fit RB's. I think Ingram is miscast in Payton's RB pass heavy RBBC from jumpstreet. As an Ingram dynasty owner, I'm anxious to see where he lands next year because in the right system, his value could well skyrocket. Just anywhere but New Orleans please.

I think he will have a nice year. His best year as a pro. His use/situation reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush even though they are different types of RB. Bush never really grew into a solid pro until he left for Miami.

I think he will have a nice year. His best year as a pro. His use/situation reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush even though they are different types of RB. Bush never really grew into a solid pro until he left for Miami.
a guy who got 34 targets in his career reminds you of a guy who got 122 targets in a single season?

ingram is like the guy stealing snaps from bush --- he's the anti-bush

a guy who got 34 targets in his career reminds you of a guy who got 122 targets in a single season?

I get what he is saying, its pretty clear. A first round running back drafted by New Orleans and is NOT a bell cow, for whatever the reason. 2nd time we have seen it since 2006. The other? Reggie Bush. Receiving targets I do not think were part of the similarity implied. His "lack of RUNNING" use/situation reminds me EXACTLY of Reggie Bush.

I get what he is saying, its pretty clear. A first round running back drafted by New Orleans and is NOT a bell cow, for whatever the reason. 2nd time we have seen it since 2006. The other? Reggie Bush. Receiving targets I do not think were part of the similarity implied. His "lack of RUNNING" use/situation reminds me EXACTLY of Reggie Bush.
Fwiw, the Saints did have a 1st round RB bellcow in 2006, Deuce McAllister - 244/1057/10 & 30/198/0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fwiw, the Saints did have a 1st round RB bellcow in 2006, Deuce McAllister - 244/1057/10 & 30/198/0.
They kind of had two: Reggie 155/565/6, 88/742/2 & 28/216/1 in punt returns.

agreed Saints (which is disclaimered it by putting "whatever the reason")...

I do forget though.....was Ingram drafted BEFORE or AFTER Sproles Free agency signing? Not that it matters, but it may lead credence to the back seat treatment he got (warranted or not)

This is what I am saying. I believe Ingram is a good RB in a system that spreads the ball around to many RB and there is a good possibility his most productive years may be ahead of him in another organization.

yeah, absolutely I think ingram could be in for a great year on some other team in 2015.

it's not like the guy's a richardson

I'm actually wondering if it's worth burning a spot on a keeper roster

155 carries is not a bellcow.

yeah, but only 30 fewer touches (not counting special teams)

true, though i think his point was 155 + 88 touches made him a bellcow.

Why are you being intentionally obtuse?

And I said "kind of".

"I haven't caught a lot of passes in the NFL. But in high school I played receiver. If you look at my recruiting thing it says, 'Athlete,'" Ingram said, per ESPN.com's Mike Triplett. "And in college, I caught a lot of passes. I haven't done it a lot here. But I've always been confident in my ability to contribute out of the backfield, running routes. Line up out wide running routes. I'm comfortable doing all of that."

everything is pointing up for Ingram right now. I'd grab him late in every auction/draft you are in. for the cost, he is absolutely worth it as there is a legitimate shot he gets 220 carries + 30 catches or so based on how things are shaking out

everything is pointing up for Ingram right now. I'd grab him late in every auction/draft you are in. for the cost, he is absolutely worth it as there is a legitimate shot he gets 220 carries + 30 catches or so based on how things are shaking out
hope you are right. i get it is only pre season but he looks so much better than khiry right now and running hard.

hope you are right. i get it is only pre season but he looks so much better than khiry right now and running hard.
I thought the same. Robinson has looked very average in the preseason games I've seen so far. He mostly gets what's blocked. He still mixes in with Ingram though, who would almost always break one or more arm tackles, bounce off guys, spin, what have you. It's fairly obvious that Ingram is the more talented back (and their respective draft positions would indicate as much). Of course, Payton will still mix in Robinson - that's just his RB philosophy. And Thomas is going to get his, particularly as a receiver.

Bottom line, Ingram looks better now than he has looked at any point in his NFL career. Not saying much, but career best numbers are all but certain if he stays healthy. Still a value in the 10th round. Still more likely than Richardson to have a nice season.

Back on board and don't think I've been this confident in his role since I've owned him, which is rookie year. I actually (maybe foolishly) feel like he's going to be the clear top rb this year. Thomas takes the Sproles role and away we go.

I think Ingram is tremendous value where he's going in drafts right now. I have always been an Ingram "hater" but he looks slimmer and faster and has a great opportunity. I missed him by one pick in my draft Sunday night and was pretty bummed,

I'm on board with Ingram for this year. I've been burned in the past, but here we go again. He's my RB3/RB4 in my 12 team PPR where I went "Zero RB".

This preseason has been the best he's looked since he came into the NFL. This is what I thought we'd see out of Alabama.

Redraft isn't really my focus, but in dynasty I think he has a good chance to be a starter for somebody next year.

This year could be his "Thomas Jones in Tampa" year where he reminds people that he actually has talent before moving onto better things elsewhere.

DLF has his dynasty ADP at RB51, which is most likely climbing rapidly. He's grand larceny at that price. I had him at RB25 at the end of July and since then he's definitely leapfrogged some guys like Sankey and Pierce in my estimation. I think his owners will demand a much higher price than that RB51 figure, but if you can get him for something like RB30 prices then he seems like good business.

I think Ingram is looking good this year, low ADP and appears to have good upside potential (but will probably get burned again), it seems pretty foolish by the Saints to wait until his contract year to start utilizing him?

I just don't see him getting enough carries or receptions to be a starter most weeks. You might be able to flex him or spot start him here or there if Pierre Thomas is hurt but that's it. It will be interesting to see where he goes though. He'll only be what 26? He could land in a great spot and be a big time RB in FF for a couple years.

I just don't see him getting enough carries or receptions to be a starter most weeks. You might be able to flex him or spot start him here or there if Pierre Thomas is hurt but that's it. It will be interesting to see where he goes though. He'll only be what 26? He could land in a great spot and be a big time RB in FF for a couple years.
I agree.

Payton's coaching career indicates very clearly that he's not looking for a 1000 yard back but he does show a penchant for rolling with the hot hand in games. Ingram needing 18 carries doesn't seem to have made this the best spot for him to land. Now though, he seems to have gained the ability to turn it on and no longer need so many carries to get going.

Tiki and Dayne, Julius and Marion...these were useful combos in FF for bye weeks. They weren't (although some did draft as such) your every week starters. The main RB got 800 and the other got 500 yards or so.

(Tiki was only great when Payton was in his first year, this is not Tiki's best years)

I think one of these types is a reasonable prediction for Ingram this year.

I want Ingram to be a 1400 yard back and remind me of his college days, but I don't see anything in either his or Payton's NFL career that indicates this is a possibility.

In this tangent, I'm thinking he's like Marion Barber.

I can envision a game where Ingram gets 100 yards and a couple touchdowns and is on the ESPN highlight reels, but when I'm starting him in FF it will be a hope for a TD and decent yardage to cover a bye. I wouldn't predict the 100 before the game.

I agree.Payton's coaching career indicates very clearly that he's not looking for a 1000 yard back but he does show a penchant for rolling with the hot hand in games. Ingram needing 18 carries doesn't seem to have made this the best spot for him to land. Now though, he seems to have gained the ability to turn it on and no longer need so many carries to get going.

Tiki and Dayne, Julius and Marion...these were useful combos in FF for bye weeks. They weren't (although some did draft as such) your every week starters. The main RB got 800 and the other got 500 yards or so.

(Tiki was only great when Payton was in his first year, this is not Tiki's best years)

I want Ingram to be a 1400 yard back and remind me of his college days, but I don't see anything in either his or Payton's NFL career that indicates this is a possibility.

I can envision a game where Ingram gets 100 yards and a couple touchdowns and is on the ESPN highlight reels, but when I'm starting him in FF it will be a hope for a TD and decent yardage to cover a bye. I wouldn't predict the 100 before the game.
My question RE: Sean Payton is if it's a chicken/egg thing. Have the Saints not run the ball because Payton doesn't want to run the ball, or does he not run the ball because they didn't have a RB good enough to do it? They seemed to run plenty when they had Deuce McAllister. And trading up to use a first round pick on Ingram indicates to me that the Saints wanted to run the ball more effectively.

rocketsauce said:
I'm on board with Ingram for this year. I've been burned in the past, but here we go again. He's my RB3/RB4 in my 12 team PPR where I went "Zero RB".
Can you post your draft? (also what number you drafted)

I'm surprised we haven't heard more talk about the possibility of Peyton going to a more physical run heavy style this year.

Consider their runs since the superbowl win...

2010 - beastmoded

2011 lost divisional at san fran despite Brees throwing for 462 4tds. The RBs totaled 32 yards rushing.

2012 Missed playoffs despite a record setting pass offense. Worst D in the league.

2013 A top 5 offense and defense. 25th in rushing. They got out physicalled at seattle. Brees throws for 300+ vs Wilson's 103. Lynch goes for 140 and 2 TDs.

Sure it should be a "believe it when I see it situation"

But at the RB44 range - is there anyone with better upside on opening day (saints vs falcons week 1) ??

I love to have clarity at week 1... we should bet that with Ingram

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Turns 25 in December.

DLF has his dynasty ADP at RB51, which is most likely climbing rapidly. He's grand larceny at that price. I had him at RB25 at the end of July and since then he's definitely leapfrogged some guys like Sankey and Pierce in my estimation. I think his owners will demand a much higher price than that RB51 figure, but if you can get him for something like RB30 prices then he seems like good business.
Sure enough, I made some pretty strong offers for him last night and was knocked back by everyone who has responded so far. One was Tre Mason for Ingram straight up with a Stacy owner. Same guy also has Bernard and turned down J Hill for Ingram a couple weeks ago. In a different league I offered Pierce for Ingram and was rejected. In the last league I offered a mid 2014 1st (devy league, so the pool is thinner) for Ingram and was denied. An owner in a fourth league is still sitting on a Pierce for Ingram offer deciding what he wants to do. I've talked to an owner in a fifth league and he has basically indicated that he'd only move Ingram for his 2015 1st, which is likely to be top 5-6. It's only five leagues, but all of the signs point towards him being a guy whose actual price is a lot higher than his generic dynasty rankings would indicate right now. The people who own him seem to be pretty high on him. I would still throw out late 1st/early 2nd round rookie pick type of offers for him, but the window to get him at afterthought prices has already closed from what it seems.

Sure enough, I made some pretty strong offers for him last night and was knocked back by everyone who has responded so far. One was Tre Mason for Ingram straight up with a Stacy owner. Same guy also has Bernard and turned down J Hill for Ingram a couple weeks ago. In a different league I offered Pierce for Ingram and was rejected. In the last league I offered a mid 2014 1st (devy league, so the pool is thinner) for Ingram and was denied. An owner in a fourth league is still sitting on a Pierce for Ingram offer deciding what he wants to do. I've talked to an owner in a fifth league and he has basically indicated that he'd only move Ingram for his 2015 1st, which is likely to be top 5-6. It's only five leagues, but all of the signs point towards him being a guy whose actual price is a lot higher than his generic dynasty rankings would indicate right now. The people who own him seem to be pretty high on him. I would still throw out late 1st/early 2nd round rookie pick type of offers for him, but the window to get him at afterthought prices has already closed from what it seems.
Of those offers the only one I'd take for Ingram was Hill. Can't really blame the teams.

Took im in a couple re-drafts but Im betting its more of the same for NO, total commmittee, maybe Ingram gets the Pierre Thomas slice this year

and thomas plays the sproles role.

With K.Rob as the COP

I agree.Payton's coaching career indicates very clearly that he's not looking for a 1000 yard back but he does show a penchant for rolling with the hot hand in games. Ingram needing 18 carries doesn't seem to have made this the best spot for him to land. Now though, he seems to have gained the ability to turn it on and no longer need so many carries to get going.

My question RE: Sean Payton is if it's a chicken/egg thing. Have the Saints not run the ball because Payton doesn't want to run the ball, or does he not run the ball because they didn't have a RB good enough to do it? They seemed to run plenty when they had Deuce McAllister. And trading up to use a first round pick on Ingram indicates to me that the Saints wanted to run the ball more effectively.
to be fair, mcallister's heydays were under haslett. I had to look this up, mcallister had one 1000 yard season under payton, which was payton's first year, and this coming back from a injury season for him. agree with the draft logic though and i think a lot of people did as well.

It's truly hard to tell what Peyton wants to do with Ingram because he has yet to stay healthy and play well in the same season. They did give him over 13 touches per game as a rookie, but he wasn't very good nor healthy. 2013 was the year Peyton was suspended, and while he managed to play all 16, he wasn't very good. Last season he was pretty good, but couldn't stay healthy again.

I have a feeling that he would like to give him a lot of touches, but it's up to Ingram continue to earn them. He's off to a good start.

no offense, but those are some ####ty offers

no offense, but those are some ####ty offers
Maybe. I think it's more he's overrating how some of us feel about cuffing, too. Personally, I never really saw the huge value in it in most cases.

I'm the guy he's talking about (stacy / gio owner). Just no real interest in trading a former Heisman winner and first round pick who is finally looking like he might be something for Tre Mason (right now, Zack Stacy's backup at best). Now, maybe Mason turns into Ray Rice and I look back and say "shoulda taken that one", but I'll take that risk. If Ingram doesn't do it in NO, I'll still hold for next year's team that hopefully gives him the ball 20x a game.

I mentioned this last year in this thread, but the people who own Ingram likely paid something of value for him. I can be patient with certain guys. Ingram is one of them.

I was one of these rejections, and have quietly added INgram in several of my leagues over the last 6 months (before camp opened in a couple of them). I'd have to be blown away with an offer to move him at this point. Consensus rankings are behind and I'd put him in the top 20 with room to go up from there.

I was one of these rejections, and have quietly added INgram in several of my leagues over the last 6 months (before camp opened in a couple of them). I'd have to be blown away with an offer to move him at this point. Consensus rankings are behind and I'd put him in the top 20 with room to go up from there.
If he's top 20RB then he's a top 60ish dynasty asset overall. It would seem a lot of that value is coming from people anticipating is departure from NO because he's not going to sniff top 20RB numbers in the situation he's in now. He's a 2 down back in NO.

If he's top 20RB then he's a top 60ish dynasty asset overall. It would seem a lot of that value is coming from people anticipating is departure from NO because he's not going to sniff top 20RB numbers in the situation he's in now. He's a 2 down back in NO.
I think a lot of people disagree with you that he won't sniff top 20 numbers this year. based on the reports coming out right now, I think around 20 would be about what I expect

Milkman said:
renesauz said:
EBF said:
EBF said:
He can be top 20 this year, but I think it's likely that he does depart NO. If he stays, it'll probably be because he has a pretty good year and they decide he's a big part of their long-term plans.

Users who are viewing this thread