What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (1 Viewer)

And the one fun fact I don't see anyone discussing here: Apple is now up to $76.2 BILLION in cash and equivalents. :eek:
Dirty corporate Apple, sitting on all that cash while people need jobs...
Cash hoarding at that level is a mistake, though to date it hasn't hurt their stock's performance.
it hasn't which is why they haven't felt pressured to give a dividend, which would really be nice.
Why Apple Won't Pay A DividendA philosophical reason is not wanting to prioritize shareholder value over product.

A financial reason is not wanting to pay repatriation taxes on cash held overseas.

A business reason is wanting to pay cash for potential acquisitions.

4th quarter earning in another 30-45 minutes. I decided NOT to sell and am along for the ride today. It's been ugly so far.

street is 10.08. C'mon Fruit - beat it. :thumbup:

So happy I only had $500 to spend 11 years ago when I used it all to buy Apple at $18/share.

4th quarter earning in another 30-45 minutes. I decided NOT to sell and am along for the ride today. It's been ugly so far. street is 10.08. C'mon Fruit - beat it. :thumbup:
Problem is Apple won't be judged based on their own guidance (9.30) or even expectations (10.08), but rather based on "whisper" numbers which I've seen up to 12.10! Talk about being a victim of your own success. I considering selling off a portion of my position if the run up continued from yesterday into today, fully expecting it to drop back after the reporting. Looks like everyone else jumped the gun and are selling off early so I'm holding tight instead. I am worried that expectations will be unachievable and even if Apple hits the 10.08 people will be disappointed and it'll fall all the way back to $400.

For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $46.33 billion and net quarterly profit of $13.06 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $26.7 billion and net quarterly profit of $6 billion, or $6.43 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 44.7 percent, compared to 38.5 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple's quarterly profit and revenue were both company records.

Apparently, all of that last-minute tinkering, focusing on minutiae, and general micro-managing of the whole process at Apple by Steve Jobs was holding this company back. Gone off like a rocketship since he left.

this thing will be at 500 soon... God bless Options :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who ever the genius was to convince fanboys to be invested in the stock price should get a ### #### Nobel Peace prize.

Who ever the genius was to convince fanboys to be invested in the stock price should get a ### #### Nobel Peace prize.
Some of us have real money invested. Today was a good day /Cube.
:hifive: ETA: Even if you don't have $$ invested in AAPL, watching what they are doing is nothing short of phenomenal. I have followed Apple very closely for a long, long time and I am simply stunned by the success they are having. I mean, $46.33 billion in revenue and $13.06 billion in profit, in a quarter?!? Are you kidding me?! I remember when they were losing hundreds of millions every quarter; when their yearly revenue was under $2 billion.

It's just an unbelievable story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Economics prize, fanwanking doesn't bring about peace, only bickering ;)

Funny thing, the fanboys lose out. If they did buy Apple products on release date, full MSRP for one of everything since '97 is close to $592,000, and worth less today. If, instead of buying Apple products, they'd bought an equivalent amount of AAPL stock on the same day of the product release, the portfolio today would be worth $11.12 million.

Someone should set up a poll: "What's dumber to root for: teams in different cities you never lived in (like a combo Lakers/Steelers fan), a NCAA conference instead of a team, or a multinational corporation (that may rely on slave labor)?"

Someone should set up a poll: "What's dumber to root for: teams in different cities you never lived in (like a combo Lakers/Steelers fan), a NCAA conference instead of a team, or a multinational corporation (that may rely on slave labor)?"
:confused: It's dumb for many of us to root for our investments in Apple stock to rise?

:confused: It's dumb for many of us to root for our investments in Apple stock to rise?
how many different funds and stocks have you invested in?

too many to remember, and I'm a relative novice.

why dont you start threads on each of those?

because the other ones don't ALWAYS seem to go up up up???? :shrug:

I'll get right on the "I'm down 18% on TZA!" thread.

I'll get right on the "I'm down 18% on TZA!" thread.
:blackdot:

I think the significant thing is that after their last quarterly report, many thought the Apple curve was starting to flatten out--not unreasonable, given the sheer volume of their business. But this latest quarter blows that assumption away. What seems to be significant is that Apple iPhone and iPad are generating replacement business. People are upgrading every two or three years, which means that the curve is unlikely to flatten very soon, let alone the new products that Cook referred to in the press conference.

Yes, I think Apple will hit $500 this year. There'll be a drop, probably in the next week, as some investors cash in their gains; but then the logic of Apple's momentum will sink in.

Yeah, what is amazing is they got so many people to replace Iphone 4 with 4s. I bet 90% of the user base can't tell a damn bit of difference, yet they made the swap anyways.

Yeah, what is amazing is they got so many people to replace Iphone 4 with 4s. I bet 90% of the user base can't tell a damn bit of difference, yet they made the swap anyways.
Not quite true. The Siri voice thingy makes a significant difference. Plus, battery life and camera are significantly improved.

I held off on upgrading my 4 because I agree the changes weren't worth it, but insinuating it's stupid is a stretch. The market for used iPhones is huge. You can flip your old phone to recoup most if not all of the cost of the upgrade. That's all assuming you want to stay under contract, which I'm sure most people are doing.I sold my FIL's 4 for him on ebay for $315 and he got the new 4S (under contract of course) for $299. It was a no brainer for him. :shrug:

Wowed Wall Street watchers raise forecasts after Apple's 'perfect' $46B quarter

Analysts on Wall Street were blown away by Apple's blistering holiday 2011 quarter, and promptly revised their estimates even higher following the news.

Apple's first quarter of its fiscal 2012 was so good, analyst Brian Marshall called it "the perfect quarter." Other analysts weighed in with descriptions including "supersized," "exceptional" and "iDominance."

Analysts also took the opportunity to increase their price targets for AAPL stock, with the most bullish of forecasts now calling for it to hit $670.

I held off on upgrading my 4 because I agree the changes weren't worth it, but insinuating it's stupid is a stretch. The market for used iPhones is huge. You can flip your old phone to recoup most if not all of the cost of the upgrade. That's all assuming you want to stay under contract, which I'm sure most people are doing.I sold my FIL's 4 for him on ebay for $315 and he got the new 4S (under contract of course) for $299. It was a no brainer for him. :shrug:
Yes, that is true if you don't place any cost in signing a long term contract.

Users who are viewing this thread