What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (1 Viewer)

'Nick Vermeil said:
The first week was a complete debacle. After that it got better but Red Zone channel continued to freeze during the entire season and early games often had hiccups.
Well crap. I guess it makes it easy to decide on just getting RZ this year. Thanks for the info

I always called and at least would get a discount on ST but with Thurs games Sun night games the 3 games the networks show on Sun and the Mon night games that is only 10 games weekly.Less with bye weeks.I think I'm going to try and get something else with the old cancel my service routine.

I'm thinking about starting a business where I call Directv for you and get you the max free stuff. Like $15-$20 a call. It'd be worth it because you're going to get every extra for free for 12 months, including adult channels, as well as a substantial bill discount. My method has a 100% success rate. Without going into too much detail, different accents are used depending on the rep who answers on the other end.

I'm thinking about starting a business where I call Directv for you and get you the max free stuff. Like $15-$20 a call. It'd be worth it because you're going to get every extra for free for 12 months, including adult channels, as well as a substantial bill discount. My method has a 100% success rate. Without going into too much detail, different accents are used depending on the rep who answers on the other end.
:moneybag:

down the road I hope the NFL allows other cable/satellite companies to offer the ticket. DTV needs competition
I believe they will, for years my cable provider didn't have the NFL network or Redzone channel but last year we finally got them.

The first week was a complete debacle. After that it got better but Red Zone channel continued to freeze during the entire season and early games often had hiccups.
Well crap. I guess it makes it easy to decide on just getting RZ this year. Thanks for the info
I've had one interruption in service, for about 10 seconds, in the two years I've had DTV. It wasn't during the NFL season either, it was during the monsoon season here in Az.

I got NFL Max, Whole Home DVR upgrade, and an HR-34 receiver upgrade and I end up making $70 :thumbup:
$10 credit per month for a year. Free NFL Ticket to include RZC for this season. New HD DVR box for the bedroom.
I need a DVR upgrade and NFL Max myself. How did you guys go about doing this? When I called customer service, they wouldn't budge. Did you go through the cancellation route? And what did you say to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one interruption in service, for about 10 seconds, in the two years I've had DTV. It wasn't during the NFL season either, it was during the monsoon season here in Az.
But we are talking about streaming the games through the PS3 that they did last year. Not the service itself.

Red Zone Channel is all I need but I hope one day that we can buy just the team package so I can see all the Steelers games that are not on T.V.

I got NFL Max, Whole Home DVR upgrade, and an HR-34 receiver upgrade and I end up making $70 :thumbup:
$10 credit per month for a year. Free NFL Ticket to include RZC for this season. New HD DVR box for the bedroom.
I need a DVR upgrade and NFL Max myself. How did you guys go about doing this? When I called customer service, they wouldn't budge. Did you go through the cancellation route? And what did you say to them?
Go through retention and ask what they can do for an HR-34 upgrade. Took me several calls to get a good deal.

Anyone willing to have me pay you for access to ST via PS3? I don't subscribe to DTV, and I really, really want the ticket. Would be willing to front you money via PayPal if you could hook it up, +50% of the cost to get Max for your troubles.

PM me, I'll pay first, I'd still be making out since you can't negotiate the price at all as a non-sub.

TIA.

Just made the annual call (got the itch today). DirecTV customer since late 1990s. Autopay bill, Choice Extra package, 4 HD DVRs, Whole Home DVR service, blah, blah, blah. Contract was set to expire in approximately 2 weeks. Called, said cancel service at the prompt. It was a very polite and friendly discussion for 40 minutes. Slowly but surely I added more as the call went on (I kept referring to deals for new customers as a benchmark, Comcast, AT&T, etc.). Finished with perhaps my best deal yet:

Free NFL Sunday Ticket ($199.95 value)

NFL Max for $100 ($100)

$20 credit for 12 months ($240)

$5 credit for 3 months ($15)

$76.99 instant credit ($76.99)

Free Showtime for 12 months ($155.88)

Free Starz / Encore for 6 months ($71.94)

Free HD Extra Pack for 6 months ($29.94)

Total value - ($889.70)

Total net value – ($789.70 = $889.70 - $100 payment)

12 month new commitment required – contract now runs through June 2013

While I did have to agree to a 12 month contract (I didn't activate any new equipment), it's not really a problem for me since I've been with them for 13+ years. Also, it was important to me that the new agreement only lasts 12 months since I'll be a "free-agent" again next summer to negotiate the 2013 deal!

Good luck to everyone and remember:

1. Be nice

2. Don't accept the first deal offered

3. Be nice

4. Call back as needed or if you're not successful on the first try

:moneybag:
:MANSION:

Is there a better time of day to call?

Middle of the night?

Thought : Less reps on duty, not as busy, more rookies pulling the graveyard shift, easier to negotiate?

Middle of the day?

Thought : More reps on duty, more experienced reps with the authority to make the good deals, busier & less time to dig in their heels?

Is there a better time of day to call? Middle of the night? Thought : Less reps on duty, not as busy, more rookies pulling the graveyard shift, easier to negotiate?Middle of the day? Thought : More reps on duty, more experienced reps with the authority to make the good deals, busier & less time to dig in their heels?
2 or 3 calls and you are set...don't over-think it.

Is there a better time of day to call? Middle of the night? Thought : Less reps on duty, not as busy, more rookies pulling the graveyard shift, easier to negotiate?Middle of the day? Thought : More reps on duty, more experienced reps with the authority to make the good deals, busier & less time to dig in their heels?
called 8pm.. spoke with agent still under contract.gave 20 off for 12 mo's.. $240Free HD for 12 Mo's $120Half off of Max Package savings $150So total savings $ 510.. :yes: Accepted.. told wife. she asked did I get any HBO or Showtime.. said no.. asked her which one she wanted.Called back and got HBO for free for 6 mos.. :yes: Everyone Happy.. :thumbup:

Pretty sure they aren't going to negotiate me even if I tried, as I haven't paid a dime for DirecTV's service for the year I've had it. Yay referral credits!

I called this morning and spent 30-45 minutes or so on the phone. We still have 12 months on our contract so I wasn't sure how much I would be helped.

Summary:

Reduced my current monthly bill from $129 to $69

$23/mo discount on our bill for the next 12 months

Free Showtime for 12 months

Free Red Zone Channel for upcoming season- Totally stoked about this since it is all I watched last year. :pickle:

I called this morning and spent 30-45 minutes or so on the phone. We still have 12 months on our contract so I wasn't sure how much I would be helped.Summary: Reduced my current monthly bill from $129 to $69$23/mo discount on our bill for the next 12 monthsFree Showtime for 12 monthsFree Red Zone Channel for upcoming season- Totally stoked about this since it is all I watched last year. :pickle:
How did you get just the RedZone channel? It isn't offered by itself.

I called this morning and spent 30-45 minutes or so on the phone. We still have 12 months on our contract so I wasn't sure how much I would be helped.Summary: Reduced my current monthly bill from $129 to $69$23/mo discount on our bill for the next 12 monthsFree Showtime for 12 monthsFree Red Zone Channel for upcoming season- Totally stoked about this since it is all I watched last year. :pickle:
I didn't think so either but I asked the rep for it and she said that is what I was getting. I guess if I find out differently in the fall then I will have to call.

I didn't think so either but I asked the rep for it and she said that is what I was getting. I guess if I find out differently in the fall then I will have to call.
The rep I talked to last year gave me the Red Zone channel for free. Worked all season. His comment was, "We CAN give you just the Red Zone channel now."Hope this helps...

I'm thinking that I'm one of your customers. Gawd, I hate making that call.

Called today. Got a free upgrade to NFL max. Wasnt even a pain this time. I just signed a new contract so I had no leverage at all either.

Called last night and got the $200 Ticket free, and $20 off our bill for the next 2 years. Had to agree to another 1 year contract, but that doesn't bother me as I'll just be doing the same thing this time next year.

Sunday Ticket + Max for free ...... Along with $20 off for the next year.

My pocket book thanks you.

ETA: my contract was due to expire May 2013...... It was extended to July 2013. (2 whole months)

Just called, spoke "cancellation", talked to a rep, best she would do was $35 for 6 mos = $210. 12 year customer without a contract. Told her I'd look into Dish more and get back. Should I call back today or wait a few days?

Just called, spoke "cancellation", talked to a rep, best she would do was $35 for 6 mos = $210. 12 year customer without a contract. Told her I'd look into Dish more and get back. Should I call back today or wait a few days?
Call back right after you hung up from that call

Not much success for me - I've got a year left on my contract, this is maybe why. They're only offering $25 off a month for 6 months. That only pays for $150 of $200 for the basic ST.

Told them I'd think on it and will call them back later today. Based on everyone else's success here, I feel like I should be getting better. :football:

I took advantage of the free deal last year. I also still have a year left on my contract and was only able to negotiate $20/mo. off of my total bill. Anybody else get DTV for the first time last year (because of the ST promo)? I'm intersted in hearing the negotiating strategies of those with an existing contract. Not much leverage in threatening to cancel services, because of the insane early termination fees ($20 for every month remaining on the econtract! that comes out to $260 for me. So those of you that may not want a 2 year contract be weary).

I want to also add what has worked for me. I always go onto Dish website and check out what it would cost for the same package I am currently getting at Direct. I called loaded with that price which was $35 cheaper a month than Direct, and told them I was only a customer and willing to pay more because of Sunday Ticket. I said I was needing to cutdown costs this year, and won't be getting the ticket. Since I did not plan to get the Ticket, may as well go to Dish and save $35 more a month.

Immediately the retention rep offered $20 off a month for 24 months. I told her that wasn't good enough, as I'd save more with Dish still and they were also offering all of the movie channels free for 3 months. She said she could match the movie channels, and I straight up asked if we could just swap it with free ST. She said she would check, placed me on hold for about 1 minute, came back and said she could do that if I signed on another year.

Do your homework, act semi-serious about possibly leaving for Dish, don't be rude, don't be afraid to ask for things that you want. They want to keep you, if they take you serious that you may leave they will be willing to do about anything you wish.

I was going to call back tonight after not getting a good offer earlier. My wife saw that DTV credited our account for $299. :thumbup:

Maybe the rep forwarded it to a higher up.

I've called like 7 times over the last month or so, and the best offer I've gotten is regular sunday ticket for $99, plus a $30 one time credit to take it down to $69. Its not bad by any means, but sucks I can't seem to get it for free this year. I've got over a year left on my contract, so maybe that's why.

Just called and talked to Lathan. He was very nice but did not offer me any deals except to say that I could get the regular ST at $199.00. Hung up and called back and talked to a lady who was very helpful. She told me I wouldn't have much luck getting any deals right now and that there are some things I should say and do to get the best deals. I dont' know why but she said I would have a lot more negotiating ability after July 19. I told her I was probably going to have to cancel all my services and she said something like, I was trying to tell you to say that but I am not supposed to tell you what to say. She then told me that if I'd call back after the 19th and told the cancellation department I was going to drop services that I would get it for free if I stuck to my guns. We then visited for a few minutes and she told me that it's very likely I could get a lot of extra's thrown in too.

So this is pretty much so what others have been getting and nothing new I just got a kick out of someone who works there telling me the routine.

One thing that was strange when prompted at the beginning I said "cancellation", but she told me she wasn't the cancellation department so she didn't have the ability to offer as much. Should I have said something else? One year it seems we were saying "customer retention"

For me, I dont mind paying for something like this. Id rather not, but understand that they do not HAVE to give me deals. It pays to make that phone call and just ask.

I called this afternoon, explained that money is tight and I just dont know how I can swing the Sunday ticket, but this is the main reason I have direct tv. The lady I spoke with took 30 bucks a month off of my monthly bill, took 10 bucks per payment off the Sunday Ticket, and added the redzone channel for 5.00 per month.

So bottom line, I got the Sunday Ticket + RZ channel for regular price - 5.00 per month.

I also got 30.00 credit to my monthly bill for one year.

I cant complain about that at all. They didnt have to give me anything. This is why I love Direct Tv. They treat you like you matter. Can you imagine if every company in America cared about keeping your business like Direct TV?

Edit to add - Sunday ticket is 199.99 per month this year with the Sunday ticket Xtra or whatever for 299.00

I've called like 7 times over the last month or so, and the best offer I've gotten is regular sunday ticket for $99, plus a $30 one time credit to take it down to $69. Its not bad by any means, but sucks I can't seem to get it for free this year. I've got over a year left on my contract, so maybe that's why.
Really? Thats not good enough?

Well when I've gotten the ticket free about 5 times over the last 7 years, you kinda expect it. :shrug:

Well when I've gotten the ticket free about 5 times over the last 7 years, you kinda expect it. :shrug:
God that's lame.

God that's lame.
As are most of your posts around here

I haven't called yet this year but wanted to relate my experience from last year. At that time I still had a year or so left on my contract and was worried I didn't have enough leverage to get a good deal. I still called and said that I was planning to cancel service because I could get big savings by moving to Verizon since I already have all phone and internet service through them. Told DirecTV the only reason I stayed with them was Sunday Ticket but the fee they were charging last year was too much for me to afford. Rep started me out with an offer of small monthly savings and as I kept saying it wasn't good enough she kept increasing the offer. I finally ended up with a one-time credit that completely wiped out the cost of the Ticket (I was stilled billed for the ticket each month after I received the credit on my next statement), a small monthly discount for the next year, and no extension on my contract. So this year when I call my contract should be expiring and I'll have even better leverage.

Those of you who have time left on your contract, don't assume you can't get a good deal. Be persistent and it can work out in your favor.

God that's lame.
As are most of your posts around here
:own3d: :own3d: :own3d: "ouch"

You guys that are getting it for free or nearly free, just what are you saying? I have called in four times now and this is what I was told:

1. Best we can do is $199 for the Max package

2. We have no discounts for you at all

3. We can give you $10 off for 6 months

4. We have no discounts available.

I have been a customer for 7 years and am not under contract. Are you guys offering up sexual favors?

I haven't called yet this year but wanted to relate my experience from last year. At that time I still had a year or so left on my contract and was worried I didn't have enough leverage to get a good deal. I still called and said that I was planning to cancel service because I could get big savings by moving to Verizon since I already have all phone and internet service through them. Told DirecTV the only reason I stayed with them was Sunday Ticket but the fee they were charging last year was too much for me to afford. Rep started me out with an offer of small monthly savings and as I kept saying it wasn't good enough she kept increasing the offer. I finally ended up with a one-time credit that completely wiped out the cost of the Ticket (I was stilled billed for the ticket each month after I received the credit on my next statement), a small monthly discount for the next year, and no extension on my contract. So this year when I call my contract should be expiring and I'll have even better leverage.Those of you who have time left on your contract, don't assume you can't get a good deal. Be persistent and it can work out in your favor.
In the same boat with the 1 year left and Verizon as the option (threat). Last time I mentioned Sunday ticket the wrong way and only got some $ off. This time I'm going to try 'I can get Verizon TV for less and the only reason I have Direct TV is for the Sunday ticket'.

You guys that are getting it for free or nearly free, just what are you saying? I have called in four times now and this is what I was told:1. Best we can do is $199 for the Max package2. We have no discounts for you at all3. We can give you $10 off for 6 months4. We have no discounts available.I have been a customer for 7 years and am not under contract. Are you guys offering up sexual favors?
Just called two more times:5. $10 off for a year =$1206. You should call back when your first ST payment shows up on your bill and then there will be discounts available

You guys that are getting it for free or nearly free, just what are you saying? I have called in four times now and this is what I was told:1. Best we can do is $199 for the Max package2. We have no discounts for you at all3. We can give you $10 off for 6 months4. We have no discounts available.I have been a customer for 7 years and am not under contract. Are you guys offering up sexual favors?
Just called two more times:5. $10 off for a year =$1206. You should call back when your first ST payment shows up on your bill and then there will be discounts available
are you talking to "customer retention"? The regular people you get can't offer anything. You need to say cancel service and make sure you have a customer retention person on the phone with you.It also helps if you have some story about how Dish or Cable would be cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread