What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (1 Viewer)

Well he only had something like 3 catches in 2 games before he got injured.

But, I think he be stud down the way. There’s only a handful of guys I’d start over him this week and moving froward. 
He had 2 catches week 1.   Yeah, he had 1 catch week 2 -- when he got injured during the game and basically missed most of the game.

I don't really think we can say anything definitive about his usage this year based on 1.25 games early on.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera told NFL Network's Tiffany Blackmon Greg Olsen "ideally" will play half of the offensive snaps.

Ugh. Here we go. Anyone benching with this news? All of a sudden jack doyle is looking more appealing. 

Ok. Benching Olsen for doyle. Hopefully Olsen is on a full snap count next week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t like the sound of it. Think panthers will be fine with Olsen barely playing. Think they’ll likely stick to easing him in. 

Gonna start Kroft for one more week before firing up Olsen ROS. 

Ugh. Here we go. Anyone benching with this news? All of a sudden jack doyle is looking more appealing. 

Ok. Benching Olsen for doyle. Hopefully Olsen is on a full snap count next week. 

I don’t like the sound of it. Think panthers will be fine with Olsen barely playing. Think they’ll likely stick to easing him in. 

Gonna start Kroft for one more week before firing up Olsen ROS. 
Have to roll with him over Julius Thomas in a TE premium league...hoping for a TD. If he can go for 3-50 that is like a WR going for 5-75

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Updating a previous report, Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olsen (foot) is expected to receive around 30 snaps against the New York Jets in Week 12, according to head coach Ron Rivera.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Updating a previous report, Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olsen (foot) is expected to receive around 30 snaps against the New York Jets in Week 12, according to head coach Ron Rivera.
Dickson - 63

Manhertz - 29

Olsen - 24

No setbacks so hopefully should be fine for @ NO this week. Kind of a rough playoff schedule but if he’s close to being right he should get his normal production. Well...at least that’s the hope.

Still, I’ll be shooting for some Plan Bs through the WW tomorrow night.

I don't think you can trust Olsen down the stretch. Even if he is "fine" and plays next week I don't thing he will be operating at full speed until very late in the season. So far this season he hasn't done anything and he has to prove he is back to his old self before I would consider starting him.

Dickson - 63

Manhertz - 29

Olsen - 24

No setbacks so hopefully should be fine for @ NO this week. Kind of a rough playoff schedule but if he’s close to being right he should get his normal production. Well...at least that’s the hope.

Still, I’ll be shooting for some Plan Bs through the WW tomorrow night.
I would say that having foot soreness and not allowed to re-enter game would be a setback.  I hope he didn't re-injure his foot.  The quotes are saying soreness, but we never know.

I would say that having foot soreness and not allowed to re-enter game would be a setback.  I hope he didn't re-injure his foot.  The quotes are saying soreness, but we never know.
Truly, we don’t know. But the plan was to play him 30 snaps. He played 24, experienced soreness, let the trainers know, and they decided “to not go crazy and push it further.” My response to that is going to be yo make sure I have a decent option, but I hope he plays.

Obviously I’d like to get production at every position but TE has been my weak link all year. Drafted Eifert, tried to stream with Witten & WW pickups, rode the ASJ TD streak, stashed Olsen on IR 6-8 weeks ago when his owner got pinched by byes. But I’m not alone so it hasn’t really impacted me that much.

Despite shaky TE production I’m second in points overall; I’ll have high score this week with 2.00 points from Olsen. Don’t like being fatalistic about it but not a lot I can do at this point. Either roll with the uncertainty of Olsen, hope Witten has a heavy target game, throw a dart at DSJ. It is what it is.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Greg Olsen (foot) has been "deemed OK."

The Charlotte Observer has confirmed the report. There's been no official word on Olsen's Week 13 status, but it would seem there's a good chance he suits up against the Saints. If Olsen does play, he will be a back-end TE1 for fantasy purposes. His status will be updated no later than Wednesday, when the Panthers return to practice.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Nov 27 - 2:56 PM

smbkrypt24 said:
It's frequent that there's pain from scar tissue breaking up and that's where the soreness comes from.  Edelman had the same issue a couple years ago and was fine.

It's frequent that there's pain from scar tissue breaking up and that's where the soreness comes from.  Edelman had the same issue a couple years ago and was fine.
I was more replying to the part that there wasn't a setback.  The amount of plays was a rough estimate before the game.  So during the game if you have soreness that isn't good moving forward.  The difference I see in the best possible outcome was him playing his 30 snaps, or close to it, and experiencing no issues at all.  The next best outcome is experience soreness, with nothing being re-inured, and not being allowed to play more that game. This outcome will still likely have him increase his snaps moving forward but I think they will be more cautious after he experienced soreness. 

Is he honestly worth holding in redraft leagues? I currently have him taking up space on my bench and tempted to drop him for any RB/ WR flyer. 

Panthers coach Ron Rivera is "optimistic" Greg Olsen (questionable, foot) will play in Week 13 against the Saints.

Olsen didn't practice all week, but got in some work on the side. He's dealing with a setback suffered in his first game back. Olsen looks on the wrong side of questionable despite Rivera's comments and could come down to a game-time decision. Ed Dickson would have an every-down role if Olsen is held out.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Looks like there was an actual setback with his foot.  That is unfortunate.  I really didn't like that he wasn't allowed back in the game, but I was hoping it was more about being extra careful.

Greg Olsen caught 9-of-12 targets for 116 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 15 win over the Packers.

Olsen more than doubled his season totals across the board, finally welcoming himself to 2017. Olsen was left literally wide open more than once, including on his 30-yard touchdown. The Packers blitzed, left no safety help in the secondary and Olsen waltzed into the painted area. Olsen looked spry, seeming to be his usual self. He was not a "step slower," so to speak. He could stay hot for the fantasy finals in a mouthwatering matchup with the Bucs. 

Dec 17 - 4:44 PM

Already? Ugh, this is rough since it's a late game. Slim pickings for TE's that aren't in the early game tomorrow.

Hoping for more info soon.

From Rotoworld:

Greg Olsen (back) expected to play Sunday

The Athletic's Joe Person reports Greg Olsen (questionable, back) is expected to play in Week 1 against Dallas.

Olsen was a surprise late addition to the injury report. He practiced all week, but the Panthers were concerned enough to list him questionable. Olsen may play fewer run snaps at less than 100 percent. Ian Thomas could have a bigger than expected Week 1 role.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Sep 8 - 5:29 PM

The Charlotte Observer reports the Panthers will hold off on placing Greg Olsen (broken foot) on injured reserve.

It means the Panthers think Olsen could return some time in the next two months. If placed on I.R., that's how long Olsen would have to sit before being a candidate for return. It's probably an overly optimistic timeline but speaks to how badly the Panthers want Olsen back this season.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 1:29 PM

Greg Olsen - TE -  Panthers

Greg Olsen (broken foot) confirmed he hopes to play again this season.

Olsen said he's "optimistic" he can return after consulting with the team's doctors. Olsen did admit post-season surgery remains a possibility. The Panthers are holding off on placing Olsen on injured reserve, meaning they share his hope. Either way, Ian Thomas will hold down starting tight end duties for at least the next 5-6 weeks and almost certainly longer.

Source: Greg Olsen on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 2:44 PM

Panthers announced Greg Olsen re-fractured his surgically-repaired right foot Week 1 against the Cowboys.

"There are no plans for surgery at this time," the team said in a statement. "We will monitor his rehab and evaluate his progress on a monthly basis." Not needing surgery is a positive sign, but it still seems likely Olsen ends up on injured reserve. Rookie Ian Thomas should start at tight end while Olsen is sidelined.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter 

Sep 11 - 12:39 PM

For those who care to hear my opinion...

A Jones fracture due to an impact is very frequently resulting in a surgical remedy. It all depends on the type of fracture however. A spiral fracture is unstable and results in displacement of the bones, needing surgery to remedy. An avulsion fracture does not require surgery. By all accounts, the mechanism of injury of how Olsen broke his foot, to me, indicates an avulsion.

An avulsion fracture occurs when a ligament or tendon pulls at the base of the 5th metatarsal, creating a fracture at that location. It sounded like Olsen stepped on the foot of a defender, which would have caused a pretty large stretch to that area, and could explain the optimistic timeline for his recovery. If he had been stepped on, or there was a twist that resulted in a spiral fracture, then he would likely be done for at least 2 months. So that's my best guess on this injury. There is zero chance he would be ready to go in 4 weeks if it were a spiral fracture, so that has to be the case here. 

So 4 weeks... that seems ambitious but if it's a small linear fracture then that's actually not a bad timeline. At 2-3 weeks enough healing is done at the bone to stabilize the fracture, especially if it's a small linear fracture without displacement. Enough bone can fill that area to strengthen it enough for weight bearing and normal activity. The remodeling stage follows the repairing stage where the healed bone (or callus) is replaced by normal bone and is strengthened up. This takes months. In Olsen's case, there may be no benefit toward waiting 4 weeks or 4 months; the risk to reinjury may be the same depending on the size of the fracture. 

The only reason he was out so long the first time was because he had to have his bones surgically fixated, which meant longer healing due to a displaced and/or spiral fracture. The fracture in this instance seems to be minor, not displaced, and likely linear. It's highly likely they place him in a hard orthotic that will minimize the stretch to this area and protect it from further injury after the 4 week (or so) timeline. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to be fully healed at week 4. It's just possible it may be stable enough to play on at week 4. These kinds of fractures sometimes don't heal for whatever reason and do need surgical fixation. 

I think a 4 week timeline is what Olsen owners can consider best possible outcome of this whole thing. Much better news than the season. To completely write him off for 2018 is a huge mistake. Because I certainly agree he can and will be back. It's just a matter of how limited he is with this the rest of the season, which is a bummer for his owners (can't cut him but can you even play him either?) 

For me, my league has a short bench. I can't waste a spot for 4-6 weeks waiting on a guy with an extensive injury history.  

For me, my league has a short bench. I can't waste a spot for 4-6 weeks waiting on a guy with an extensive injury history.  
IR spot should take a player who is listed as Out, but I agree, hard to hold onto him in that case

Users who are viewing this thread