What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (1 Viewer)

For those who care to hear my opinion...

A Jones fracture due to an impact is very frequently resulting in a surgical remedy. It all depends on the type of fracture however. A spiral fracture is unstable and results in displacement of the bones, needing surgery to remedy. An avulsion fracture does not require surgery. By all accounts, the mechanism of injury of how Olsen broke his foot, to me, indicates an avulsion.

An avulsion fracture occurs when a ligament or tendon pulls at the base of the 5th metatarsal, creating a fracture at that location. It sounded like Olsen stepped on the foot of a defender, which would have caused a pretty large stretch to that area, and could explain the optimistic timeline for his recovery. If he had been stepped on, or there was a twist that resulted in a spiral fracture, then he would likely be done for at least 2 months. So that's my best guess on this injury. There is zero chance he would be ready to go in 4 weeks if it were a spiral fracture, so that has to be the case here. 

So 4 weeks... that seems ambitious but if it's a small linear fracture then that's actually not a bad timeline. At 2-3 weeks enough healing is done at the bone to stabilize the fracture, especially if it's a small linear fracture without displacement. Enough bone can fill that area to strengthen it enough for weight bearing and normal activity. The remodeling stage follows the repairing stage where the healed bone (or callus) is replaced by normal bone and is strengthened up. This takes months. In Olsen's case, there may be no benefit toward waiting 4 weeks or 4 months; the risk to reinjury may be the same depending on the size of the fracture. 

The only reason he was out so long the first time was because he had to have his bones surgically fixated, which meant longer healing due to a displaced and/or spiral fracture. The fracture in this instance seems to be minor, not displaced, and likely linear. It's highly likely they place him in a hard orthotic that will minimize the stretch to this area and protect it from further injury after the 4 week (or so) timeline. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to be fully healed at week 4. It's just possible it may be stable enough to play on at week 4. These kinds of fractures sometimes don't heal for whatever reason and do need surgical fixation. 

I think a 4 week timeline is what Olsen owners can consider best possible outcome of this whole thing. Much better news than the season. To completely write him off for 2018 is a huge mistake. Because I certainly agree he can and will be back. It's just a matter of how limited he is with this the rest of the season, which is a bummer for his owners (can't cut him but can you even play him either?) 
Wish I'd drafted your super secret TE instead.  :D

I actually thought his durability was one of his major positive traits. Sure he got hurt last year but TE's get hurt a lot and until the one injury he was cooking a 158 straight game streak. In other words he missed first two games of his rookie year and not another game until he broke his foot last year. 

For those holding at least his bye is at a good time, eats up one of the weeks he'd be out anyway.

if his status is essentially "month to month" with this injury, i can see him ceding his role as a starter if Ian Thomas is effective.  he wants to help his team but if he's uncertain about his health or availability then I can even see him hanging it up early. he was really only playing for this year anyway.

if his status is essentially "month to month" with this injury, i can see him ceding his role as a starter if Ian Thomas is effective.  he wants to help his team but if he's uncertain about his health or availability then I can even see him hanging it up early. he was really only playing for this year anyway.
Didn't he just sign a 2 year 17mil+ extension this off season?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Greg Olsen (broken foot) is hoping to return in 4-5 weeks.

Olsen avoided IR, so this confirms the Panthers think he can be back before eight weeks. Olsen plans to play through his Jones fracture, something he did late in 2017. Returning in a month would be a best case scenario, but Olsen has a chance at a midseason return. Ian Thomas will hold down Olsen's pass game role for however long he's out.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 16 - 9:53 AM

Assuming he can stay healthy (insert your favorite caveat) what to expect? Top 5 TE status ROS?
he's always been a target hog. targets = opportunity. can't score fantasy points without first getting opportunities.

I'd expect him to at least be top 10 ros. possibly top 5 yes  

Panthers coach Ron Rivera is hopeful Greg Olsen (foot) returns this week.

The coach said Olsen still has one more check-up but will "hopefully" be ready to practice on Wednesday and play against Washington. Olsen started slowly when he returned from his foot injury last season, but the tight end position is too thin to keep him out of the top-12 if he suits up. Olsen should be added everywhere he was dropped.

Source: Max Henson on Twitter 

Oct 8 - 10:59 AM

Still out on my wire...I passed for Engram who was also dropped earlier in the year and people forgot about him.  Rolling with Kittle til those wheels fall off though.

Olsen talking about still needing surgery, seems his injury is almost week to week and with last year fresh in my mind, I will let someone else deal with that.

I'm in the camp of waiting a week to make sure he looks OK and doesn't get hurt again in the first quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the camp of waiting a week to make sure he looks OK and doesn't get hurt again in the first quarter.
He's more likely to get injured in Week 7 than Week 6. May as well start him now and enjoy the 2/20/1 statline before he breaks his leg again.

Out for the game. Was this the same fractured foot anyone know? If so that is probably the last time we see him in a uni, should make a great TV host. (Please replace Witten)

We already saw that era in weeks 2-5. Be prepared for a whole lot of 3-for-25 games.
rookie TE.  i'm not hung up on his production first half of the season. this is the perfect time for him to get some snap under his belt. should help his development for next year. besides, everything in that offense is running through McCaffrey.

Jourdan Rodrigue @JourdanRodrigue

Per a league source, the Panthers are expected to put tight end Greg Olsen on injured reserve this week. The writing seemed to be on the wall when he indicated to reporters after rupturing his right plantar fascia Sunday that it was season-ending. Tough couple years for Olsen.
I'd assume this is likely the end for him. He was already interviewing for a MNF analyst gig w/ ESPN in the offseason.

I'm not surprised he ruptured it. This is a classic example playing hurt putting strain on other areas. I didn't think it was an inevitability, but it certainly was a possibility. If your bones aren't strong enough to take on the strain in that area, it goes to the soft tissues, and those can only last so long... 

I'd be surprised if he came back. That's about as bad of a surgery as an Achilles tendon repair. 

Greg Olsen - TE -  Panthers

Speaking Tuesday, Greg Olsen (foot surgery) confirmed he plans to play in 2019.

"My plan right now, I’m in every day doing my foot rehab, trying to get this thing finally back to where I was used to," Olsen said. "It seems like it’s been a long time since it was. Yeah, that’s what I’m preparing for and that all starts with getting my foot right." There is arguably a hint of hedge in Olsen's tone, but it was also reported in December that he plans to come back for another season. Olsen has been limited to 16 games over the past two years by nonstop foot issues.

Source: David Newton on Twitter 

Feb 5 - 6:14 PM

Thought for sure he was going to retire. Carolina is going nowhere fast. Rehabbing an injury at his age seems like the perfect time to interview for an analyst gig. 

Elevencents said:
Thought for sure he was going to retire. Carolina is going nowhere fast. Rehabbing an injury at his age seems like the perfect time to interview for an analyst gig. 
he's just hedging his bets. i don't think he's going to be able to pull off a miraculous recovery. it's an injury that has dogged him for 2 years.

The New York Post reports that Greg Olsen has been offered contracts by ESPN and Fox.

Earlier this month, Olsen said that he plans to play football in 2019, but the television networks are reaching out to the tight end about coming into the booth. Olsen is currently thinking about the offers while he rehabs from his foot injury, but sources said that he won't accept an offer unless it was close to his NFL salary. At the moment, Olsen still appears to be leaning towards continuing his playing career.

SOURCE: New York Post

Feb 26, 2019, 3:44 PM

Greg Olsen (foot) said he's been medically cleared for all football activities.

Olsen again suffered a broken foot last season that he attempted to play through before re-injuring it in Week 13 and missing the remainder of the year. Olsen turned 34 in March and likely will be brought along slowly at OTAs and minicamp before being full go at training camp. When healthy, Olsen remains a TE1 at a weak fantasy position, but he's no longer a top 3-5 option.

SOURCE: Max Henson on Twitter

May 22, 2019, 12:22 PM ET

Greg Olsen (back) did not practice Monday.

Olsen saw a whopping nine targets in the opener against the Rams yesterday. We didn't notice any sign of injury, so perhaps this is more of a maintenance day for the 34-year-old ahead of Thursday night's tilt with the Bucs.

Sep 9, 2019, 6:23 PM ET

Greg Olsen (back) missed practice on Tuesday.

He was also out Monday while dealing with a back injury. It's not uncommon for a veteran to sit mid-week, but Olsen's lengthy injury history makes this situation in particular one to monitor. Ian Thomas would be a legitimate TE1 streaming candidate if Olsen's out Thursday against the Bucs.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 12:09 PM ET

Greg Olsen (back) said he "plans" to suit up for Thursday's game against the Bucs, but that the short week is "not ideal."

In other words, it's not a guarantee he's out there. Olsen missed Monday and Tuesday's practices and might get in zero reps before Thursday. The 34-year-old caught four balls for 36 yards in Sunday's season-opening loss. He'll be a high-end TE2 if he can get out there vs. the Bucs. Ian Thomas is the next man up.

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 1:33 PM ET

ESPN's Ed Werder has reported that Greg Olsen (back) is expected to play through his questionable tag and suit up Thursday night against the Buccaneers.

Coach Ron Rivera reportedly stated, "I have no concern about that." Olsen said all week that his "plan" was to play, but also noted that it would be tough on a short week. It's unclear if he'll be on a snap count. Olsen played 94% of the offense's snaps in Week 1 and caught 4-of-9 targets for 36-scoreless yards. The entire Panthers offense is set up well against the Buccaneers' mediocre secondary, although Olsen is a risky play due to his heightened chance at reduced snaps.

SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter.

Sep 12, 2019, 9:59 AM ET

Ed Werder @WerderEdESPN

Greg Olsen is not moving well, even when walking on the sideline. He told me pregame he could make it though the game if he could avoid being hit in the back.

Greg Olsen caught 6-of-9 targets for 110 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

The only Panther Cam Newton could find with any frequency down the field, Olsen notched gains of 16, 33 and 41 yards. Olsen looked very limited laterally, but he still had excellent speed with a head of steam. 34-year-old Olsen feels like an injury waiting to happen, but he will find himself on the TE1/2 borderline for as long as he can stay on the field. Arizona is a plus Week 3 matchup.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:59 AM ET

Olsen on one of my FPC benches behind Ertz & Andrews this week. Strong starter consideration going forward if he's healthy. 

Users who are viewing this thread