What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (5 Viewers)

ugh...tried to scoop him for free at 530 PM, but something was wrong with our league setup. Didn't have time to email commish before leaving for work.

He won't be free now :(

Bolden immediately after the fumble. May not see Dion again.
Definitely would not be unprecedented for BB. Jonas Gray last year with 201 and 4TD's, then was late for a meeting and barely saw the field again. Something like that any way.

Hopefully he did enough tonight before that assanine fumble to show belichek that he belongs on the field.

Definitely would not be unprecedented for BB. Jonas Gray last year with 201 and 4TD's, then was late for a meeting and barely saw the field again. Something like that any way.
Not saying this is wrong but Bolden is the big back and got the goal line carry early in the game as well so it likely wasn't largely due to the fumble. Now, how the rest of the game plays out may be a different story.

I think he gets another shot, but if he puts it on the ground again he's done.

Reading a lot into Bolden in immediately when he's been in in every previous short-yardage situation. Not that Lewis couldn't be benched, but they went to Bolden first and goal a couple drives ago as well.

Not saying this is wrong but Bolden is the big back and got the goal line carry early in the game as well so it likely wasn't largely due to the fumble. Now, how the rest of the game plays out may be a different story.
I completely agree. I don't think Lewis was taken out at the GL for the fumble. But I think his opportunities could definitely decrease because of it, and potentially by a great deal.

I completely agree. I don't think Lewis was taken out at the GL for the fumble. But I think his opportunities could definitely decrease because of it, and potentially by a great deal.
Well he's losing a ton of snaps next week by default due to Blount's return. If anything, this opens the door for White more as the COP/3rd down back.

He looked good. Decent night but I wonder what happened with him on a week to week basis. Bolden looks like garbage.

He'll only be a viable weekly starter in ppr leagues once Blount comes back. And even then he'll likely be too up and down. He's not going to sniff 1st and 2nd down work on running plays.

But he's a good bench player to have for bye weeks.

What do we expect from the passing down RB on a weekly basis
I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.

I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
Perceived value is in fact the problem here. Whether or not Lewis actually ends up holding any value is going to be irrelevant in the eyes of people who won't own a part of BB's backfield under any circumstance. I think Lewis may end up being good depth for teams in PPR but looking towards him as trade bait is incorrect.
Well, that eliminates "part" of the people, but it keeps the door open for that other part. all you need is one to make a trade.

What's the alternative? If you have an open spot or if you have someone you're ready to cut, what's the downside?
There isn't any if you have the room, I'm just saying the stigma is very real and could make him a tough player to move. I've been sitting here debating between him and Andre Williams for the past 30 mins myself but not because I expect to be able to trade him at any point this year.
Honestly, I'd take Williams in that case. But overall, I think IF you are just sitting there and he's available...do it because its a long season and if he won the job and has a role, SOMEBODY out there, at some point, due to injuries or whatever are likely going to be interested in the Patriots' receiving RB because they are a high scoring team and its actually that variance and unpredictability that works FOR you becasuse while there are those out there who say "Ahh, it's this and that and who knows," there's also those out there who like to swing for the fences and think "Hey, I might luck out and get a Rb on a high scoring team and end up with a top 20 rb (ppr). Wasn't Vareen and Ridley both pretty valuable at different point?
Just put him up on the trading block to see if anyone will bite. :lol:

He'll only be a viable weekly starter in ppr leagues once Blount comes back. And even then he'll likely be too up and down. He's not going to sniff 1st and 2nd down work on running plays.

He looked good, thus, it will be the same old story with NE backs. Flip a coin as to which one will be startable.

Re-watching this game and Lewis looks to have McCoy level shiftiness. He also looked good in between the tackles, breaking tackles and did a good job picking up the blitz. The lone mark on the night was the fumble at the GL.

If Blount wasn't returning next week this guy could have had tremendous upside this season.

Could we expect 11 carries and 5 targets every game from him? That's what he did most his damage on tonight

Had 4 carries running the clock for 6yds but he will hand those duties back to Blount

Congrats to those who scooped him up. I was surprised to not see White or Cadet at all. Seems like the Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen roles is his to lose. Given his ability to actually run inside, he might even cut into some of Blount's value. Looks like a real solid flex WW steal.

Blount isn't exactly reliable. In dynasty I think I'd trade Dion for a rookie second round pick right now. If I needed a back, I'd give a 2nd for him right now.

Vereen was unstartable most of last year but had a few blow up games. I expect the same from Lewis
I think Lewis is more like Woodhead. Vereen's biggest limitation was he is a RB who isn't very good at running. Just never picked up much on the ground. But Lewis is more like Woodhead. Both can hit the hole and pick up yards and make guys miss. Vereen rarely made a guy miss. He's great at getting open and catching the ball and has wheels, but he's just getting what's there.

I'm going to let other people blow their FAAB on this guy. Pats backfield is something I want nothing of. If he was a part of the Browns or Falcons backfield I would be going heavy on him.

loose circuits said:
Shutout said:
loose circuits said:
looks explosive and great in passing game. Blount may actually open things up to smash them a few times before Dion runs around um
I think they are going to like the pace Dixon can play with and give them. I think he is that wood head role guy now
who is dixon?
LOL. Sorry, Dion. An "x" slipped in there.

He looked good, thus, it will be the same old story with NE backs. Flip a coin as to which one will be startable.
No. Here is why this is different (and I probably won't explain it well so maybe some Pats fans can elaborate).

The Patriots last night, for the first time in a while, looked like the version of the Patriots that they used to be when they had the type of personnel (Hernandez, Woody, Vareen) where they could run those massive mismatch plays and unbalance the line, stay with a RB or move them all out, etc. Those plays they used to do all the time where the mismatch stressed the defense so bad that Tom Brady had a fielder's choice of who to go to across the middle OR down the sideline.

That was there ALL Night last night.

That game last night was played 100% on your tv screen and by that I mean, almost every single play, the cameras never had to pan across the field or down the field. They played that entire game within a 15 yard window which tells us it was super quick decision making and it was a lot of open options. That is exactly how the Patriots used to play all the time. bam bam bam and then jugular shot down field (which will be there when Lafell returns and//or Dobson gets it together, etc).

What they are doing now is the ideal Patriot football. Young line so you cover that up by making very quick decisions. Brady isn't getting beat up. There are multiple options opening quickly because Gronk is Gronk, Edelman is shifty, Lewis is all over the place. This is what they want to do.

^they played a horrible defense. There are still a ton of games where BB wants to pound the rock. It's all gameplan dependant.

It's game-plan dependent no doubt, but I don't think Lewis disappears. He looked fantastic on both runs and catching the ball. He can flex outside, but he's not just a receiving back. That gives them tremendous ability to create matchup problems all over the field.

When Blount returns, I certainly expect he'll be much more involved than Bolden was... but I don't think Lewis becomes a non-factor. My guess is Blount is used in short yardage and as the clock killer... he could get some drives as a hammer to pound away at the defense when the matchup dictates.

As good as Lewis looked last night and the freedom it provided them on offense isn't going to be forgotten by the Pats. I'd bet he stays involved every week.

^they played a horrible defense. There are still a ton of games where BB wants to pound the rock. It's all gameplan dependant.
On their schedule:

Jags-Cowboys-Colts-Skins-Giants-Eagles-Titans

These are all teams where the defenses are bad and/or has shootout written all over it. So these 7 I think look like a Steeler copy & paste.

Bills-Jets-Dolphins twice

six division games against familiar opponents with good defenses. These could be the "pound it out" games but also lend themselves to be the "get rid of it quick" games, like last night, quick tempo, and , oh by the way, if we can, "we have lots of incentive to run it up" on them games.

Broncos-Texans

Two really good defenses but let's face it, Manning vs. Brady is always a show and Texans vs. Patriots has seemingly been an automatic 35+ for the Patriots for half a decade.

I don't doubt you are absolutely correct in what you are saying. There will be those games but this schedule looks very inviting for the Patriots to drop the hammer A LOT this year.

Users who are viewing this thread