What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

Da Gildz said:
What about the idea that Dion is just really good? Crazy notion I know. But he was a stud at PITT, gets drafted by Philly where he has no chance behind Shady. Then gets hurt and basically hasn't played in 2 years.

To just compare him to the backs of recent years there seems silly. They all were flawed backs in some capacity. The last really good "all-around" back in New Eng was probably Corey F'n Dillon. It's been that long. So yea he very well could be just a situational type player or he could be a Justin Forsett type who finally got his chance to show what he can do and we all saw what happened.

Oh and if u needed further evidence, Cleveland cut Dion so u know he has to be really good.
But if you've been watching NE, even in the Dillon years, they had that 3rd down back role. It is a staple of this offense, and they will continue to have that role, and that role will have value. You might be right, maybe Lewis is the real deal. I don't think it matters. Belichick isn't going to change how he operates. Blount has value in their system as a between the tackles runner. Even if Lewis has the same value in that role, he has more as the hurry-up back, the receiving back, the 3rd down back. Better use of your assets to leverage Blount's value and use Lewis' in another, equally valuable role.
Really?

That table right there shows me that he is more than willing to work with the personnel he has. The reason his RB usage has been so yin & yang has more to do with his personnel than desire to operate a single way.

You can certianly argue that Lewis is not a 3 down back, but if he is having success on 1st & 2nd downs while spelling Blount, or Blount underperforms (or a mix of both). BB absoluletely would give Lewis every down work regardless of the gameplan.
That list tells me if there is a back to carry the load he has to be a big back. The one outlier is Kevin Faulk who only had over 100 carries twice in 13 seasons. Dion is not a big back.
Your outlier Kevin Faulk could play all 3 downs, just like (I believe) Lewis can.

Da Gildz said:
What about the idea that Dion is just really good? Crazy notion I know. But he was a stud at PITT, gets drafted by Philly where he has no chance behind Shady. Then gets hurt and basically hasn't played in 2 years.

To just compare him to the backs of recent years there seems silly. They all were flawed backs in some capacity. The last really good "all-around" back in New Eng was probably Corey F'n Dillon. It's been that long. So yea he very well could be just a situational type player or he could be a Justin Forsett type who finally got his chance to show what he can do and we all saw what happened.

Oh and if u needed further evidence, Cleveland cut Dion so u know he has to be really good.
You want and are hoping he is something he just won't become. He is going to be a high end RB3, low end RB2 at best, if he can stay healthy and out of BB's crazy dog house. There are 2 or 3 other backs on the team that could fit that role. I think you are just a little excited about him today, which I get...he had a good game. To expect more than RB3/low end RB2 numbers is not being honest with yourself about past production from that role.
You sound like a guy who doesn't want him to be good. You can just pigeon hole him into Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead. I see a better all around player in Lewis. And Blount and Bolden Stink! Oh and I picked up lewis and started him on 5 of 6 teams. This isn't Monday morning qb'ing.
He is available in both leagues Im in. Im trying to offer a non-bias opinion, as I don't own him, but he is available so I have done my research on the situation. You have shown plenty of times when you own a player that changes your opinion of him. Ask coots......

In all honesty the only guy I want to see fail in the NFL is Tom Brady. I don't care about any other players failure.

Da Gildz said:

But if you've been watching NE, even in the Dillon years, they had that 3rd down back role. It is a staple of this offense, and they will continue to have that role, and that role will have value. You might be right, maybe Lewis is the real deal. I don't think it matters. Belichick isn't going to change how he operates. Blount has value in their system as a between the tackles runner. Even if Lewis has the same value in that role, he has more as the hurry-up back, the receiving back, the 3rd down back. Better use of your assets to leverage Blount's value and use Lewis' in another, equally valuable role.
Really?

That table right there shows me that he is more than willing to work with the personnel he has. The reason his RB usage has been so yin & yang has more to do with his personnel than desire to operate a single way.

You can certianly argue that Lewis is not a 3 down back, but if he is having success on 1st & 2nd downs while spelling Blount, or Blount underperforms (or a mix of both). BB absoluletely would give Lewis every down work regardless of the gameplan.
That list tells me if there is a back to carry the load he has to be a big back. The one outlier is Kevin Faulk who only had over 100 carries twice in 13 seasons. Dion is not a big back.
Your outlier Kevin Faulk could play all 3 downs, just like (I believe) Lewis can.
And he only got over 100 carries twice in his career. The 2003 season was the last time a small back had over 100 carries. Could it happen...yes, will it happen....very unlikely.

Anyways, I'll leave you guys to talking this guy up to the next Jamaal Charles as no amount of data or past history will change your mind. I'll be back later in the season to revisit this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Gildz said:

You want and are hoping he is something he just won't become. He is going to be a high end RB3, low end RB2 at best, if he can stay healthy and out of BB's crazy dog house. There are 2 or 3 other backs on the team that could fit that role. I think you are just a little excited about him today, which I get...he had a good game. To expect more than RB3/low end RB2 numbers is not being honest with yourself about past production from that role.
You sound like a guy who doesn't want him to be good. You can just pigeon hole him into Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead. I see a better all around player in Lewis. And Blount and Bolden Stink! Oh and I picked up lewis and started him on 5 of 6 teams. This isn't Monday morning qb'ing.
He is available in both leagues Im in. Im trying to offer a non-bias opinion, as I don't own him, but he is available so I have done my research on the situation. You have shown plenty of times when you own a player that changes your opinion of him. Ask coots......

In all honesty the only guy I want to see fail in the NFL is Tom Brady. I don't care about any other players failure.
Tom Brady is the greatest qb to play the game. He won't ever fail were he is run out of the league he will retire before then. He obviously will have down games but he is the GOAT of NFL qbs

Da Gildz said:

Really?

And he only got over 100 carries twice in his career. The 2003 season was the last time a small back had over 100 carries. Could it happen...yes, will it happen....very unlikely.

Anyways, I'll leave you guys to talking this guy up to the next Jamaal Charles as no amount of data or past history will change your mind. I'll be back later in the season to revisit this.
Funny how arbitrary your point is.. 100 carries? Why not mention that he had 178 carries? Also you are presupposing that BB arbitrarily determines a player's usage by his size and not skillset. I'm sure if I was to run a query most bellcow RBs are 5'10"+ and/or 220 lbs ..

That doesn't mean every small back is incapable of every down work.. You only have to look to last season as an example of a scat back who excelled as a 3 down back (Justin Forsett)

Do you really believe that BB would have relegated Forsett to 3rd down/passing given the BAL backfield of last year?

Da Gildz said:

Really?

You can certainly argue that Lewis is not a 3 down back, but if he is having success on 1st & 2nd downs while spelling Blount, or Blount underperforms (or a mix of both) BB absolutely would give Lewis every down work regardless of the game plan.
I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing in that table that leads you to this conclusion. I know last year was an anomoly, but going back for nearly all of Belichick's time in NE, he has had a primary runner and a receiving back. In some years the primary runner changed, but never was the substitute the receiving back.

When Ridley went down last year, the logical choice would have been Vereen, who was already very involved in the offense, but instead they went to Gray, then Blount. Vereen stayed in his role. I see the same situation forming with Lewis.

However, if Blount goes down, it may be interesting. Bolden isn't a NFL caliber running back ( good on ST ), white didn't see the field in the opening game without Blount, which doesn't bode well for him. The wildcard would be Cadet. I haven't seen enough of him to speculate, but from what I've read, he is much more a passing threat than a runner. In that case, perhaps Cadet slides into the receiving back role and Lewis moves in to the primary runner spot.

Da Gildz said:

Really?

Funny how arbitrary your point is.. 100 carries? Why not mention that he had 178 carries? Also you are presupposing that BB arbitrarily determines a player's usage by his size and not skillset. I'm sure if I was to run a query most bellcow RBs are 5'10"+ and/or 220 lbs ..

That doesn't mean every small back is incapable of every down work.. You only have to look to last season as an example of a scat back who excelled as a 3 down back (Justin Forsett)

Do you really believe that BB would have relegated Forsett to 3rd down/passing given the BAL backfield of last year?
There hasn't been a BB team without a receiving back option. It was Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen and now it appears to be Lewis. These guys occasionally get > 10 carries a game, but it's pretty rare. Only Faulk has ever had what would be close to a full workload.

I will admit that after Blount, the RB crop looks really thin, and Lewis might be the answer.

But someone is going to fill that receiving back role. It's too much a part of their offensive scheme to give up.

Was Dion Lewis brought in to be a passing back? Yes
Do the Pats and every single team in the NFL utilize a passing/3rd down back? Yes

Those two facts do not preclude a 3rd down back from becoming an every down back. Injuries/Poor Performance/etc happen.

I'll ask again.. given the BAL backfield last year do you believe that BB would of square pegged Tali or Bryce Brown into primary role because he wouldn't want to change the way he operated as the OP I was commenting on insinuated.

Given that Lewis plays at a high level and Blount performs as bad as he did in the preseason who exactly do you see getting the featured role?

Da Gildz said:

Yeah I keep hearing multiple ppl say Lewis looked better at Pitt than Shady did.

Not going to speculate on what could happen since there's just way too many variables/possibilities to factor. Instead I'm just glad I got him off waivers for free and will be happy if he can somehow help my team considering I used 0 resources to get him.

Yeah Rice is a guy that came to mind for me as an optimistic comparison considering they were both smaller backs who were workhorses for their teams in college. There's a couple of factors going against him though such as why his draft pedigree was so low(5th round) and the fact that Belichick hasn't had a sub 220lb back get 150+ carries since Faulk in 03.

Went back to watch all of Lewis' touches on GamePass. He looks better than I remembered. Ran routes well, caught well, did fine in Pass Pro, broken ankles and tackles.

Not calling him Marshall, but he has the same little jukes, spins and start/stops as Marshall Faulk. If I didn't already own him, I'd be buying, PPR especially. Regarding the fumble, that strip was PERFECT hand placement on the nose of the football. Not many RBs would have withstood that strip.

Da Gildz said:

He is available in both leagues Im in. Im trying to offer a non-bias opinion, as I don't own him, but he is available so I have done my research on the situation. You have shown plenty of times when you own a player that changes your opinion of him. Ask coots......In all honesty the only guy I want to see fail in the NFL is Tom Brady. I don't care about any other players failure.
Tom Brady is the greatest qb to play the game. He won't ever fail were he is run out of the league he will retire before then. He obviously will have down games but he is the GOAT of NFL qbs
You forgot your *

Da Gildz said:

He is available in both leagues Im in. Im trying to offer a non-bias opinion, as I don't own him, but he is available so I have done my research on the situation. You have shown plenty of times when you own a player that changes your opinion of him. Ask coots......In all honesty the only guy I want to see fail in the NFL is Tom Brady. I don't care about any other players failure.
You forgot your *
Don't know why you brought this back to the top but i have no clue where you are talking about. and honestly i don't care for grammar on a blog bud. didn't know i was getting graded.

Da Gildz said:

You forgot your *
Don't know why you brought this back to the top but i have no clue where you are talking about. and honestly i don't care for grammar on a blog bud. didn't know i was getting graded.
You forgot your *

As in...

*Tom Brady is the greatest qb to play the game.

Da Gildz said:

You forgot your *
You forgot your *

As in...

*Tom Brady is the greatest qb to play the game.
I'm still lost? in what contents are you using this your because i don't see where it goes.

Actually after watching some of Dion's highlight videos my closest player comparison would be Barry Sanders(stolen from one of the announcers). He's not as strong and doesn't run through arm tackles as well as similar backs of his size like Ray Rice or Vereen or Marshall Faulk or even Abdullah but what he does excel at is superb agility and balance in the open field against defenders who are within arms reach. I would say Dion's agility/balance is on a level below Barry and above those similar smaller backs named above(Rice also has really good balance but agility isn't as good). It's pretty clear that he shouldn't be in short yardage situations but I can see him eating into some of Blount's early down work as they make a great Thunder/Lighting pairing and offset each other's deficiencies very well.

Da Gildz said:

Really?

saying you'll be back later on to revisit this didn't work out too well for you in the other lewis thread.

Actually after watching some of Dion's highlight videos my closest player comparison would be Barry Sanders(stolen from one of the announcers). He's not as strong and doesn't run through arm tackles as well as similar backs of his size like Ray Rice or Vereen or Marshall Faulk or even Abdullah but what he does excel at is superb agility and balance in the open field against defenders who are within arms reach. I would say Dion's agility/balance is on a level below Barry and above those similar smaller backs named above(Rice also has really good balance but agility isn't as good). It's pretty clear that he shouldn't be in short yardage situations but I can see him eating into some of Blount's early down work as they make a great Thunder/Lighting pairing and offset each other's deficiencies very well.
Good comparison but I think he is closer to shady McCoy

Da Gildz said:

Blount doesn't "stink". It gets thrown around in these threads that he is some kind of mediocre RB but he produces consistently in every place he has played. He may not be a complete 3 down back and he is definitely a head case but the man knows how to run the football. I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge that fact, and it is without question a fact.

Da Gildz said:

Blount doesn't "stink". It gets thrown around in these threads that he is some kind of mediocre RB but he produces consistently in every place he has played. He may not be a complete 3 down back and he is definitely a head case but the man knows how to run the football. I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge that fact, and it is without question a fact.
Fair point. Stink was probably too strong. He has rushed for a decent ypc over his career. But he is 1 dimensional. I also don't think Lewis needs him to go away to be a force in fantasy. For PPR purposes at least. If Lewis can get 160+ carries, coupled with his receiving, his ceiling is pretty dam high. And if he ends up leading the backfield in carries, well his ceiling is immense.

I highly doubt Lewis comes anywhere near 160 carries. Woodhead and Vereen never even hit 100 carries in a season.

Blount has averaged about five ypc for the Pats and has scored 15 TDs in his last 16 games for them. The Pats don't think he is mediocre and when they want to have an inside the tackles runner it is going to be Blount.

I highly doubt Lewis comes anywhere near 160 carries. Woodhead and Vereen never even hit 100 carries in a season.

Blount has averaged about five ypc for the Pats and has scored 15 TDs in his last 16 games for them. The Pats don't think he is mediocre and when they want to have an inside the tackles runner it is going to be Blount.
I can see a split in carries or something like 60-40 in Blounts favor and all the short yardage/GL situations going to Blount. Again, Dion can run between the tackles. They can be a nice 1-2 combo, someone mentioned thunder and lightning of the past , good comparison.

Shane Vereen was RB20 in PPR last year. Lewis is worth 30-40% of FAAB dollars if Vereen is his ceiling.
It's a long season. There is no way I would blow 40% of my FAAB wad on an NEP RB.
Where have you been, oh voice of reason?

Blount will come in and be Blount. 15-18 carries or so. 80% of the goal line touches. Leaving Lewis with what? 5 carries? 3-4 catches? Don't forget Cadet was inactive. He will be in some game plans this year, or they wouldn't have kept him...

Shane Vereen was RB20 in PPR last year. Lewis is worth 30-40% of FAAB dollars if Vereen is his ceiling.
It's a long season. There is no way I would blow 40% of my FAAB wad on an NEP RB.
Where have you been, oh voice of reason?

Blount will come in and be Blount. 15-18 carries or so. 80% of the goal line touches. Leaving Lewis with what? 5 carries? 3-4 catches? Don't forget Cadet was inactive. He will be in some game plans this year, or they wouldn't have kept him...
The voice of reason would of course realize Blount will get 8-12 carries if they aren't playing Indy in January.

Da Gildz said:

Fair point. Stink was probably too strong. He has rushed for a decent ypc over his career. But he is 1 dimensional. I also don't think Lewis needs him to go away to be a force in fantasy. For PPR purposes at least. If Lewis can get 160+ carries, coupled with his receiving, his ceiling is pretty dam high. And if he ends up leading the backfield in carries, well his ceiling is immense.
I agree on pretty much all counts. However counting on BB to use his RBs in any kind of predictable fashion is a lesson in futility. He is a lottery ticket, I'll give you that. And a guy like Blount could easily fumble or knucklehead his way into the doghouse (although Lewis let the ball get stripped and that couldn't have made BB happy and I am certain he will not forget that anytime soon).

He's a lottery ticket at best and a bye week fill-in until Blount is out of the picture (even in PPR). If Blount is gone I still only think his true value would be in PPR. He won't get goal line love and I doubt he will get consistent red zone love passing or rushing so he will have to get his scores from distance. And I don't think those two factors would change even if Blount is out of the picture.

I'd suggest looking at 2012 as a representative year for BB running back usage, assuming all stay healthy and in good graces.

RBs:

Ridley - Blount

Woodhead - Lewis

Vereen - Cadet

Bolden - Bolden

Ridley got just short of 300 carries. Vereen and Woodhead split another 130 carries. Vereen wasn't very active in the passing game, with only 13 targets, while woody got 55.

This is the last time NE had a healthy between the tackles RB for the full season. This is typically the breakdown of touches going back to Dillon era, with a few exceptions.

In fact, looking back at the woodhead era, I'd say that's a good baseline to expect from Lewis. Woodhead had a high of 97 carries (2010), and the other years were 77 (2011) and 76 (2012).

He could make an impact. He has rare, elite balance/ankle breaking skill and adequate power/speed and good hands/catch. Very compact. Deceptive power, adequate for nickel/dime sets where he will be facing mostly. Also Pats tied him up in 2014 after the injury thinking they would tie him up for 2015. Didn't play in final pre-season game. He's in the plan.

Gushinghistory/story/narrative while watching his 40+ carry game. Pretty much every play went to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muydhwHqxAg

A few highlights as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxvSzpKl48

recent film:

2TDs in pre-season,

one split out wide receiving ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9j1nAtBV8

one impressive power run inside for TD.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000514583/Lewis-runs-for-11-yard-touchdown

Nice one handed catch and run and juke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tNBbfypZ4

and a last one showing off his shiftiness is not gone after injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfR_fSoOZk

There is zero buzz on this guy, even his recent vids have only a handful of views. Definitely a last/late round pickup that has a great chance to pay off. I think he has a chance to take the vacated Vereen role to a new level if he can stay healthy.

P.S. Jonas Gray was waived to make more RB room so Lewis most likely made the team.
So far he is taking it to the next level. he is like Vareen in pass catching but can also run way better than Vereen did between the tackles, hence no need for the Riddley aspect or the other dude they cut that runs inside, Jonas Gray. You can also see cadet and White are not in the picture for anything but a backup role.

I have seen this guy compared to Barry Sanders. I didn't want to mention that myself but anyone who thinks he cannot carry the load needs to watch some of those links I posted and realize he carried 46 times in that Pitt game.

Put yourself in BB shoes. If you have a versatile guy that runs "like Barry" and can catch like Vereen what have you got? Something special that can be lines up wide or I formation and be effective at both. Why would you put Blount in? Maybe as a hammer with a lead or in put power short yardage situations. Pther than that I don't see where Blount has Lewis beat in skillset for any other situation. BB sees the same I hope.

Could be special player. Great start. P.S. Barry didn't catch like Lewis can so the ceiling is very great with Dion Lewis if given the opps he deserves. I am not saying he runs like Barry, but many others have so don't jump down my throat about the comparison.

I'd suggest looking at 2012 as a representative year for BB running back usage, assuming all stay healthy and in good graces.

RBs:

Ridley - Blount

Woodhead - Lewis

Vereen - Cadet

Bolden - Bolden

Ridley got just short of 300 carries. Vereen and Woodhead split another 130 carries. Vereen wasn't very active in the passing game, with only 13 targets, while woody got 55.

This is the last time NE had a healthy between the tackles RB for the full season. This is typically the breakdown of touches going back to Dillon era, with a few exceptions.

In fact, looking back at the woodhead era, I'd say that's a good baseline to expect from Lewis. Woodhead had a high of 97 carries (2010), and the other years were 77 (2011) and 76 (2012).
cadet was inactive so why wouldn't Lewis=vereen+Woodhead?

Where have you been, oh voice of reason?Blount will come in and be Blount. 15-18 carries or so. 80% of the goal line touches. Leaving Lewis with what? 5 carries? 3-4 catches? Don't forget Cadet was inactive. He will be in some game plans this year, or they wouldn't have kept him...
The voice of reason would of course realize Blount will get 8-12 carries if they aren't playing Indy in January.
Based on what? Last year? Gray and Ridley are gone.

Where have you been, oh voice of reason?Blount will come in and be Blount. 15-18 carries or so. 80% of the goal line touches. Leaving Lewis with what? 5 carries? 3-4 catches? Don't forget Cadet was inactive. He will be in some game plans this year, or they wouldn't have kept him...
Based on what? Last year? Gray and Ridley are gone.
Oh, we aren't going off anything real like his entire history as a Patriot? I would like to change my prediction to something more like 8-10 most weeks. Unless it is late December or January.

RBs:

Ridley - Blount

Woodhead - Lewis

Vereen - Cadet

Bolden - Bolden

Uh, because while Woodhead was there, Vereen did almost nothing?

I think its actually the best comparison, the 2012 season that is.

Matchup play. Anytime they face a strong d line, Lewis should eat. Mcdaniels is too smart to keep rushing up the middle when he knows his oline can't push around their dline. This guy is super elusive. Mcdaniels was also using 2 rb sets during the preseason so his usage should be decent throughout.

Here's the skinny on Blunt as a NE player. In 26 games so far, he has only averaged 11.1 carries per game (but as BB would say, this year is not any other year).

Breakdown of carries:

0-5: 6 times

6-10: 8 times

11-15: 7 times

16-20: 2 times

21-25: 2 times

26+: 1 time

By comparison, Maroney averaged 13 carries per game and Ridley averaged 12.4 carries per game.

I would guess Blount will get a few more carries per game on average in games where they actual go with a run focused offense or get way ahead. It is worth noting that even if the team planned on having a day where they ran a lot, if they get behind they have shown that they will ignore the run in the second half almost entirely (or at least not let the between the tackles back run very often).

I still think Blount will average 14 carries a game x 15 games equals 210 carries. He should come in right around 1,000 rushing yards. (I also think that he will get a few more receptions than most people think, as they need to mix it up some or defenses will know what the play will be just based on who is in the backfield).

I don't see Bolden or White doing much of anything unless the other backs get hurt. It remains to be seen how they will use Cadet, but I am guessing he will be a guy that motions out of the backfield, lines up some in the slot, or occasionally might be one of the trips in an overload.

Overall, I don't see Lewis getting the number of carries or touches he had Week 1 very often. Woodhead had 10 or more carries 6 times in 51 games (12%) and Vereen did so 8 times in 49 games (16%).

Also worth nothing is the Patriots RB workloads (total carries) have been on the decline . . . 485 in 2012, 435 in 2013, and 379 in 2014. Injuries last year likely playing into the low total, but NE seems to have settled in on Brady throwing a lot of short passes to serve as a rushing attack at time.

And I know this is cliche about Brady being angry but now BB seems to be pretty pissed off about all the accusations. I could picture him telling mcdaniels to go nuts and just embarrass teams. Brady also has a high stake in it because if his stats fall off now, people will say it's because of the deflated balls. He's gonna want to boost his numbers. Brb making trade offers for Brady.

Here's the skinny on Blunt as a NE player. In 26 games so far, he has only averaged 11.1 carries per game (but as BB would say, this year is not any other year).

Breakdown of carries:

0-5: 6 times

6-10: 8 times

11-15: 7 times

16-20: 2 times

21-25: 2 times

26+: 1 time

By comparison, Maroney averaged 13 carries per game and Ridley averaged 12.4 carries per game.

I would guess Blount will get a few more carries per game on average in games where they actual go with a run focused offense or get way ahead. It is worth noting that even if the team planned on having a day where they ran a lot, if they get behind they have shown that they will ignore the run in the second half almost entirely (or at least not let the between the tackles back run very often).

I still think Blount will average 14 carries a game x 15 games equals 210 carries. He should come in right around 1,000 rushing yards. (I also think that he will get a few more receptions than most people think, as they need to mix it up some or defenses will know what the play will be just based on who is in the backfield).

I don't see Bolden or White doing much of anything unless the other backs get hurt. It remains to be seen how they will use Cadet, but I am guessing he will be a guy that motions out of the backfield, lines up some in the slot, or occasionally might be one of the trips in an overload.

Overall, I don't see Lewis getting the number of carries or touches he had Week 1 very often. Woodhead had 10 or more carries 6 times in 51 games (12%) and Vereen did so 8 times in 49 games (16%).

Also worth nothing is the Patriots RB workloads (total carries) have been on the decline . . . 485 in 2012, 435 in 2013, and 379 in 2014. Injuries last year likely playing into the low total, but NE seems to have settled in on Brady throwing a lot of short passes to serve as a rushing attack at time.
:goodposting:

Using the short passing game instead of run and in general running the ball less is only going to increase Dion Lewis' snap count, creating a higher weekly floor.

Watching Lewis, it's clear he can handle a workload that we haven't seen from the 3DB in the past. I see a road to much more value than most of the community. Others do as well.

The Pat's "Good luck figuring out RB Puzzle" is lazy analysis to me- at best missing out on a nice RB2/Flex and at worst possible weekly RB1/RB2 numbers. As others have pointed out there offense and schedule seem to favor Lewis getting a lot of snaps. Blount will absolutely get his carries, but if he falters or is injured, with Lewis performing this well, I fully believe he will be handling a workload far different than Vereen in 2013/14.

I have been shopping him a bit just to guage his value and everyone believes he is a flash in the pan, another Jonas Gray. In fantasy I try to find compelling and plausible situations where my evaluation runs counter to group-think before they are the hot waiver item. It happens every year, and I'm betting the still rather minuscule amount that Lewis is Forsett 2014.

RBs:

Ridley - Blount

Woodhead - Lewis

Vereen - Cadet

Bolden - Bolden

Cadet was injured throughout camp, and isn't fully healthy. I thought the inactive was more due to injury and readiness without practicing most of camp. I think he is in their season long plans, otherwise I think they would have cut him. I could be wrong.

I was just linking these two backfield groupings because they are very similarly built.

1 big back

1 smaller, versatile back

1 smaller receiving back

Bolden

From most reports, Cadet isn't much of a runner ( I haven't done any research to from an opinion ). From watching Vereen, he isn't much of a runner from traditional sets. Woodhead was a decent runner, and from what little I've seen from Lewis, he appears to be as well.

Cadet is a receiver that plays out of the backfield. Hes not much of a runner, from what I saw last year of him in NO, he still looks better on the ground than James White.

I think Cadet will earn some snaps, but Lewis just looked too good for me to think Cadet will be in a position to supplant him.

RBs:

Ridley - Blount

Woodhead - Lewis

Vereen - Cadet

Bolden - Bolden

Cadet was injured throughout camp, and isn't fully healthy. I thought the inactive was more due to injury and readiness without practicing most of camp. I think he is in their season long plans, otherwise I think they would have cut him. I could be wrong.I was just linking these two backfield groupings because they are very similarly built.

1 big back

1 smaller, versatile back

1 smaller receiving back

Bolden

From most reports, Cadet isn't much of a runner ( I haven't done any research to from an opinion ). From watching Vereen, he isn't much of a runner from traditional sets. Woodhead was a decent runner, and from what little I've seen from Lewis, he appears to be as well.
RBs get hurt; teams need backups. I don't know that not cutting a guy means he will get touches in an ideal season/situation (it could just mean they're not sold on White being able to step in and produce)

I fired up another site's projection machine app, which basically uses historical player/team data to project output at each position based on team variales..

The following table assumes that the Pats will be on average +4 pts ahead of opponent (similar to past few years) a 52/48 pass/run split (putting Brady at about 550 Att) and just below the league high mark in plays run (below Eagles, but near top)

I also have plugged in the individual players performance based on the past.. such as Gronk/Edlemans target %, catch rate & TD rate.

Further, I presupposed that Blount would get 50% of the carries at 4.4 ypc and that Lewis would get 33% of the carries (Vereen had about 25% last season) at 4.2ypc and receive about 15% of Brady's targets.

Even I was surprised at the projections, and to me this represents a pretty safe expectation of Dion Lewis' output this year.

POS PLAYER ruATTS ruYDS ruTDS TRGS RECS recYDS recYPR recTDS ADP RNK14 FP

RB1 Blount, LeGarrette 229.60 1010.25 6.66 28.02 18.22 140.12 7.69 0.62 30.00 20.00 176.91

RB2 Lewis, Dion 135.06 594.27 2.70 84.07 60.53 546.46 9.03 2.03 56.00 13.00 202.99

RB3 White, James 40.52 159.24 0.93 16.81 12.11 92.98 7.68 0.43 69.00 88.00 45.49

I fired up another site's projection machine app, which basically uses historical player/team data to project output at each position based on team variales..

The following table assumes that the Pats will be on average +4 pts ahead of opponent (similar to past few years) a 52/48 pass/run split (putting Brady at about 550 Att) and just below the league high mark in plays run (below Eagles, but near top)

I also have plugged in the individual players performance based on the past.. such as Gronk/Edlemans target %, catch rate & TD rate.

Further, I presupposed that Blount would get 50% of the carries at 4.4 ypc and that Lewis would get 33% of the carries (Vereen had about 25% last season) at 4.2ypc and receive about 15% of Brady's targets.

Even I was surprised at the projections, and to me this represents a pretty safe expectation of Dion Lewis' output this year.

POS PLAYER ruATTS ruYDS ruTDS TRGS RECS recYDS recYPR recTDS ADP RNK14 FP

RB1 Blount, LeGarrette 229.60 1010.25 6.66 28.02 18.22 140.12 7.69 0.62 30.00 20.00 176.91

RB2 Lewis, Dion 135.06 594.27 2.70 84.07 60.53 546.46 9.03 2.03 56.00 13.00 202.99

RB3 White, James 40.52 159.24 0.93 16.81 12.11 92.98 7.68 0.43 69.00 88.00 45.49
Those projections seem pretty reasonable for one of his better outcomes. I tend to think Dion's TDs will be less than that because he's not a very strong runner(will get taken out when 10 yards to goal or less) and he doesn't have that home run breakaway speed to get those long TDs that other smaller backs have.

Users who are viewing this thread