What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best Suffers Concussion (1 Viewer)

This is the play that Best is suspected to have suffered the concussion on. The third angle shows shows the impact most clearly.
Seems like that type of fall is common in the NFL. Is it because the impact was on artificial turf that he got a concussion?
Yes, also more knee and ankle injuries. Like former MLB player **** Allen said "If a cow can`t eat it..I don`t want to play on it"

FBG has a more accurate status on Best. It's "concussion like symptoms" rather than a straight up concussion. The play which he got knocked down was a hard hit. But Best did get up and walk back to the sideline.

"Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best's (concussion) status for Week 7 is uncertain after he experienced 'concussion-like symptoms' following the team's Week 6 game against the San Francisco 49ers. He will have to pass the league's concussion protocol before being cleared to practice."

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people wearing rose colored glasses on this thread (who are most likely Best owners).

The guy had concussion issues in college to the point that many teams stayed away. He had another concussion in training camp. And now this.

Unless you're oblivious to the way the NFL and other sports are handling these injuries now, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone to see Best be out until after their bye week (9) or longer.

KY

This is the play that Best is suspected to have suffered the concussion on. The third angle shows shows the impact most clearly.
I don't understand why Best always falls with his face into the ground..... I have seen him do this countless times, it was like he just held the ball like a pillow and flung his face into the turf... I don't understand that he needs to fall differently, imo it didn't look to serious as he was back in the game after it happened because they didn't know it was a concussion. He may miss 1-3 weeks but I don't see IR from that. I could be wrong but hopefully it was a mild one and he is ok. Homer here but Jahvid is a good guy and a great player and I hope he is ok as it didn't look to bad, but it's not good to have 2 concussions in the same year. Hopefully he gets back on the field soon.

I don't understand why Best always falls with his face into the ground..... I have seen him do this countless times, it was like he just held the ball like a pillow and flung his face into the turf... I don't understand that he needs to fall differently, imo it didn't look to serious as he was back in the game after it happened because they didn't know it was a concussion. He may miss 1-3 weeks but I don't see IR from that. I could be wrong but hopefully it was a mild one and he is ok. Homer here but Jahvid is a good guy and a great player and I hope he is ok as it didn't look to bad, but it's not good to have 2 concussions in the same year. Hopefully he gets back on the field soon.
I highly doubt it'll keep him out of action long term, but it's the *next* one that could be a doozy. He's had enough concussions at this point that it seems like he's prone to them, and from what I understand the more you get, the easier it is to be concussed. Long term outlook for Best is very hazy right now IMO.

im expecting him to return after the buy. there is no serious reason to risk his health and rush him back in. i just dont see him on the field this week after how slow he was to get up after that fall. but hey thats just me

im expecting him to return after the buy. there is no serious reason to risk his health and rush him back in. i just dont see him on the field this week after how slow he was to get up after that fall. but hey thats just me
He was on the field in the same game after that fall. Granted, they may not have known it was a concussion, but they still saw the way he got up and let him back on the field.Oddly, Schwartz is stating that it was just the gameplan and Best could have played more. I find that a little odd though...but then again, maybe that's just Schwartz's M.O.

He was on the field in the same game after that fall. Granted, they may not have known it was a concussion, but they still saw the way he got up and let him back on the field.Oddly, Schwartz is stating that it was just the gameplan and Best could have played more. I find that a little odd though...but then again, maybe that's just Schwartz's M.O.
To me, that sounds like a CYA statement. "We didn't know he had a concussion or concussion-like symptoms, we played him less because of 'gameplan' reasons. We found out after the game (and we allowed him to continue playing), so we didn't do anything wrong."

A lot of people wearing rose colored glasses on this thread (who are most likely Best owners).

The guy had concussion issues in college to the point that many teams stayed away. He had another concussion in training camp. And now this.

Unless you're oblivious to the way the NFL and other sports are handling these injuries now, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone to see Best be out until after their bye week (9) or longer.

KY
I hear what you are saying, and all NFL teams have a protocol to follow with concussion injuries. But just to be clear:The guy had concussion issues in college to the point that many teams stayed away.

He had one (1) career concussion in college. It was a helluva fall, all over YouTube and one of the nastiest you'll ever see.

He had a second concussion during preseason, and is now having concussion like symptoms. Without question, it is of grave concern. But there is no reason to be vague - he had two concussions in his entire athletic career until Sunday.

Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best suffers third concussion in last two years

ALLEN PARK -- Jahvid Best is back on the sidelines with concussion problems for the third time in the last two years, including once as a junior in college and earlier this year during Detroit Lions training camp.

The second-year running back didn't play in the final 10 minutes of Detroit's 25-19 loss to San Francisco but according to Lions coach Jim Schwartz, the concussion symptoms weren't evident until "pretty long after the game was over."

Best's final play came on first-and-15 from Detroit's 44-yard line. He took a handoff and tried going over the left side of the line, but the 49ers defense got too much penetration and took him down for a 1-yard loss.

It's not evident if the injury came when he was brought down on the rushing attempt. He spun into the arms of linebacker NaVorro Bowman, but the tackle was garden variety - nothing that would appear to be

"We'll see where he is," Schwartz said. "After the game, he started experiencing some concussion-like symptoms. We started getting him tested out. We never lost his availability during the game, even though we were using a little different package, trying to get more protection and had Maurice Morris in there to try and help chip and do some things like that, and trying to -- I don't want to say de-emphasize -- but it wasn't as important running the route as it was either running the ball or doing those things."

Morris finished the game with five carries for 20 yards and one catch for 8 yards. Best carried the ball 12 times for 37 yards and made six catches 73 yards, including a 32-yarder.

Still, Schwartz maintained he wasn't concerned about losing Best's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

"He's been effective in the pass game," he explained, "but Mo's also been effective in the pass game. We're working a lot of different combinations and things like that. It really had nothing to do with anything other than that.

"We're sitting there, looking, saying, hey look, we can get Matt some more time - going a lot to Calvin down the field ... trying to push some of those balls down the field. They were playing a little bit different coverage -- rather than 2-Man, they were playing 3-Cloud -- all game decisions."

Detroit attempted just one more deep pass -- an incompletion to Titus Young with 15 seconds left in the game - after Best's final appearance.

Regardless of the reasoning, the 5-foot-10, 199-pounder's history with head injuries raises red flags. As with all concussions, players must go through a battery of tests before they can be cleared for physical contact, then cleared for practice and finally, cleared for contact.

"I don't know that it makes us more cautious, but there is a protocol to go through and we're going to make sure that we clear those hurdles before he's cleared to be back on the field," explained Schwartz. "There's a whole protocol we follow in those situations. I mean, it's a little bit of a concern with (it being his) second one (as a pro), but it doesn't change the process when it comes to him being cleared. He'll be cleared when his symptoms diminish and he gets cleared for practice."

At what point do they typically run the tests to determine if someone can play? I'm not expecting him to play this week, but I will still be keeping up with the news just in case.

To me, that sounds like a CYA statement. "We didn't know he had a concussion or concussion-like symptoms, we played him less because of 'gameplan' reasons. We found out after the game (and we allowed him to continue playing), so we didn't do anything wrong."
Clear case of CYA going on with Schwartz. If you remember back to the first concussion in the preseason, the Lions did not want to call it a concussion at that time. The public has very real injury concerns with Best and the Lions staff are consistently downplaying his concussion.Collie was put on IR after his third concussion in 2010. Best has two after week 6, but I am not sure safety is their top priority.

With all concussions players must go through a battery of tests. They don't begin tests until symptoms dissipate. Then, there is a sequence:

[*]cleared for physical activity

[*]cleared for practice

[*]cleared for contact

There is no timeline I am aware of; each situation is unique.

I was aware of his college history but I picked him up last year. I got 2-3 good games and followed by disappointment all year. Not sure if it was idiot Lions management or if Best was made out glass. I understand turf toe is a nagging injury but I didn't understand the Lions forcing him to play with that injury when he was clearly affected by it. I avoided him all year seemed to be a good hunch.

I was aware of his college history but I picked him up last year. I got 2-3 good games and followed by disappointment all year. Not sure if it was idiot Lions management or if Best was made out glass. I understand turf toe is a nagging injury but I didn't understand the Lions forcing him to play with that injury when he was clearly affected by it. I avoided him all year seemed to be a good hunch.
He is the #6 running back in PPR leagues this year. He may be out for a few weeks, but he's been a pretty solid pick for the people who took a chance on him this year.

So is Mo Morris the pickup here? No goal line option with Calvin, so perhaps Morris does some damage? Somebody has to get rush yards there, right?

Obviously in non PPR he shouldn't have been valued as high - but PPR he has been great.Would you care to let me know which RBs in the late 3rd mid 4th you didn't avoid that have turned out better? Thx.

'glong989 said:
'Naramie said:
Obviously in non PPR he shouldn't have been valued as high - but PPR he has been great.Would you care to let me know which RBs in the late 3rd mid 4th you didn't avoid that have turned out better? Thx.
Fred Jackson is probably the only answer there *(though he likely went later in most drafts).Best was RB25 in our league, so a lot of folks had that "good hunch". So far he's RB9 in PPR, and I've started him a three times (WK 1 plus last two as bye week filler). No regrets considering I have Rice and Matthews, e.g., I'm done with bye weeks. I've lost some depth short term.

He's not the Lions solution as a bell cow and they would prefer to lighten his load, but obvs those plans went by the wayside when Mikel Leshoure got hurt.

re: handcuff

Almost surely by committee, no? A lot of Morris and some Harrison, subject to change as I think they'll ride the hot hand. Good luck figuring that out.

'glong989 said:
'Naramie said:
Fred Jackson is probably the only answer there *(though he likely went later in most drafts).Best was RB25 in our league, so a lot of folks had that "good hunch". So far he's RB9 in PPR, and I've started him a three times (WK 1 plus last two as bye week filler). No regrets considering I have Rice and Matthews, e.g., I'm done with bye weeks. I've lost some depth short term.

He's not the Lions solution as a bell cow and they would prefer to lighten his load, but obvs those plans went by the wayside when Mikel Leshoure got hurt.

Almost surely by committee, no? A lot of Morris and some Harrison, subject to change as I think they'll ride the hot hand. Good luck figuring that out.
Bump Pettigrew. No joke, this guy will catch 10 passes a game if Best is out.

'T with T said:
After watching the Youtube video of the play when Best sustained the apparent concussion, this was a case of Best not protecting himself by allowing his head to slam against the turf. It may be difficult to prevent that when you are landing on your back but at least try to keep your head up. There are other runners in the league with a similar build and they seem to avoid concussions.

He had one (1) career concussion in college. It was a helluva fall, all over YouTube and one of the nastiest you'll ever see.
Many people thought he wasn't going to have a NFL career because of it. Now it looks like he'll have a shortened one.

Personally, I'm not going to bother with any of the handcuffs. I just don't think they have the value to make it worthwhile.

I think if Harrison gets the start, he can put up good numbers, while Morris will put up solid numbers. If this is a long term injury, someone may have value, but I could see any of the three (Harrison, Morris, and Williams) getting a bigger role.

Anyone have any insight into the backups? As others have stated in this thread, I like Harrison (based mainly on previous years' performances) over MoMo as he seems to have the higher ceiling. I believe that Bloom is stating that he believes that it will be MoMo if Best can't go. I haven't seen much on why not Harrison however.

Anyone have any insight into the backups? As others have stated in this thread, I like Harrison (based mainly on previous years' performances) over MoMo as he seems to have the higher ceiling. I believe that Bloom is stating that he believes that it will be MoMo if Best can't go. I haven't seen much on why not Harrison however.
Harrison might have a (alleged) higher ceiling if he starts getting a lot of snaps, but I think the obvious pick up is Morris. The Detroit staff likes Morris a lot better than they like Harrison right now, and they've been using Morris whenever Best comes out of the game (also some Keiland Williams). Harrison has been inactive the past 3 games.Give the opportunity to pick up any of the 3 RBs: Morris, Williams, Harrison, I went Morris.I'll expand on this. While Williams or Harrison were not there in 2010, take a look at the games Best did not play in or was limited in for 2010, Morris' stats:Week: Rush Att/Rush Yds/TDs; Rec/Rec Yds/TDsWeek 12: 9/55/2 tds; 5/20Week 15*: 15/109/1 td; 3/10Week 16*: 12/22/1 td; 2/13*Best received 6 carries in each of these games, and 1 catch total (Week 16).

At the risk of sounding like Capt Obvious, the fortunes of the team while Best is out will influence this. If they remain successful (in the win column) with Morris, there won't be much incentive to change the distribution of labour.

it seems they tried to integrate harrison into a role but he disappointed the staff somewhere along the way as he has been a healthy scratch for a weeks now.

This could mean 3 things I think:

1. Best is done for the year.

B. Best won't play till after the bye.

or, they really just want to replace Harrison (doubtful).

I think he's out for at least a month. The Lions will figure out if they are in the playoff hunt, and if they are, they will rest him longer.

'glong989 said:
'Naramie said:

Bump Pettigrew. No joke, this guy will catch 10 passes a game if Best is out.
If he can hold on to the ball, had several terrible drops last game.

B2. Best won't play till after the bye.

I think he's out for at least a month. The Lions will figure out if they are in the playoff hunt, and if they are, they will rest him longer.
Ok, this is where it's at, isn't it? If it was No. 2 would they do a trade for a guy like Ronnie Brown? I mean where does he fit in on the bench?

Can No. 1 really be ruled out? That's a helluva an upside for Brown if the answer is no.

For those in deep leagues RB's are scarce.

So what are the thoughts on getting Ronnie Brown, vs Morris & K. Williams?

Ok, this is where it's at, isn't it? If it was No. 2 would they do a trade for a guy like Ronnie Brown? I mean where does he fit in on the bench?

Can No. 1 really be ruled out? That's a helluva an upside for Brown if the answer is no.

I dropped Keiland Williams as a Best owner. With the signing of Brown, even if Williams got some work, I doubt it would be productive enough to warrant starting in fantasy.

I hear what you are saying, and all NFL teams have a protocol to follow with concussion injuries. But just to be clear:

The guy had concussion issues in college to the point that many teams stayed away.

He had a second concussion during preseason, and is now having concussion like symptoms. Without question, it is of grave concern. But there is no reason to be vague - he had two concussions in his entire athletic career until Sunday.
Pretty sure he had 2 concussions in college, the first was a mild one the week before the awful one.

Morris will get the bulk of carries. Brown will be the shot yardage and goal line back. That's assuming he shows the same skills he did in Philly. If he regains some of his 2009 form Brown will probably get a larger chunk.In the end I think they grabbed brown to Handle the tough carries when Best returns. They need Best for his explosive playmaking abilities to get to and have a shot in the playoffs. Brown will play the role they hoped Leshoure would play...if he has anythingeft in the tank.

Since the Brown deal got nixed, I think you can expect a split between Williams and MoMo. I don't think either will be viable fantasy starters unless they score a TD though. But yea, they are certainly looking for a RB to truly back up Best as It seems they feel MoMo and Williams won't be able to cut it. I really hope this Best injury isn't as serious as it sounds. This guy was on his way to winning me a title in my league as a RB3. He look-ed like he has all the makings of a top fantasy RB in the mold of CJ,Charles, Westbrook, McCoy. All though he still needs work running through the middle when there isnt a gaping hole. Was really thinking Best could be added to the list of young RB's with a bright bright future, but this kind of thing could end his career within a year or two. Sucks. Oh and they signed James Davis to the practice squad. Maybe after he is up to speed Davis sees some time. Always thought he had enough to be a mediocre starting RB, but at least with more big play ability than Williams or MoMo.

Since the Brown deal got nixed, I think you can expect a split between Williams and MoMo. I don't think either will be viable fantasy starters unless they score a TD though. But yea, they are certainly looking for a RB to truly back up Best as It seems they feel MoMo and Williams won't be able to cut it. I really hope this Best injury isn't as serious as it sounds. This guy was on his way to winning me a title in my league as a RB3. He look-ed like he has all the makings of a top fantasy RB in the mold of CJ,Charles, Westbrook, McCoy. All though he still needs work running through the middle when there isnt a gaping hole. Was really thinking Best could be added to the list of young RB's with a bright bright future, but this kind of thing could end his career within a year or two. Sucks. Oh and they signed James Davis to the practice squad. Maybe after he is up to speed Davis sees some time. Always thought he had enough to be a mediocre starting RB, but at least with more big play ability than Williams or MoMo.
Agreed, especially about Davis. He had some preseason hype a couple of years ago before injury, not sure how that affected him. Shanahan liked him before he walked out on practice, lol.

Agreed, especially about Davis. He had some preseason hype a couple of years ago before injury, not sure how that affected him. Shanahan liked him before he walked out on practice, lol.
Yea. While he wasn't as talented as the hype would have suggested, I think it was attitude that got him thinking he was better than he was and not trying enough. Hopefully he matured at this point. But I would still think Davis could do the most with the attempts.

The Lions aren't saying much with their words about Best and his outlook, but with their actions they are speaking loudly. With concussions, especially a second one in the same season for a player who had a brutal head injury in college, nobody knows for sure how long he'll be out. They will err on the side of caution. They won't know anything at all until the concussion symptoms disappear. It is possible he may only miss a chunk of the season...seems like that is the best-case scenario. Worst case is he never plays again. The Lions appear to have attempted to cover the worst-case scenario, but having the Brown deal get nixed with the trade deadline now passed is a nightmare for them.

MoMo is almost 32 years old. Hard to see him getting more than 15 touches per game. Keiland Williams almost certainly becomes the goalline back and should get some other carries as well. No way to tell if James Davis will evolve into a factor but there's a good chance that eventually he will. Will be interesting to hear what ailment caused Jerome Harrison to fail the physical. Hard to forecast him as vaulting into the picture considering the trade and the failed physical. I'd say Morris is the best back to have but if his touches are understandably limited, his ceiling is probably a RB3.

The real bump may be for Pettigrew, who was already being used as an extension of the running game. I think he will become even more of a focal point as short passes will take the place of some of the RB touches.

Users who are viewing this thread