What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best Suffers Concussion (1 Viewer)

Said it in other threads...I think he is done for the year and will take action on the over on week 10
That's weak ...You think he is done for the year but you will only take action on week 10? You don't sound to sure of yourself.
Just because I think an underdog wins a game outright doesn't mean I don't take the points. I concede that him being out for the whole year is a long shot prediction. I just have a bad feeling.

I was aware of his college history but I picked him up last year. I got 2-3 good games and followed by disappointment all year. Not sure if it was idiot Lions management or if Best was made out glass. I understand turf toe is a nagging injury but I didn't understand the Lions forcing him to play with that injury when he was clearly affected by it. I avoided him all year seemed to be a good hunch.
Obviously in non PPR he shouldn't have been valued as high - but PPR he has been great.Would you care to let me know which RBs in the late 3rd mid 4th you didn't avoid that have turned out better? Thx.
Considering that his season my be on the line it doesn't matter what the hell he's done in the first 7 weeks if he gives you nothing the remainder of it.. Any flashbacks from last year? Unless you're in one of those leagues that pays people out for half season accomplishments. This was my exact reason for not drafting him because I could see him getting hurt again, just like last year, just like most of his college career.

is there any chance Stefan Logan sees some work on offense? seems like he could do similar things to what Best does
I doubt it, he's a return man and thats it. Before the Steelers got Brown, he was the best return man we had in awhile. Once we drafted him, we forgot about Logan like loose change. He wont be a viable RB.

is there any chance Stefan Logan sees some work on offense? seems like he could do similar things to what Best does
I doubt it, he's a return man and thats it. Before the Steelers got Brown, he was the best return man we had in awhile. Once we drafted him, we forgot about Logan like loose change. He wont be a viable RB.
I'm not saying he's a viable every down RB, but they have used him in the backfield at times already. Not out of the realm of possibility they involve him in portions of the game plan in order to keep some of that game changing ability on the field.

(KFFL) Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Wednesday, Oct. 19, that the team has not given any consideration to putting RB Jahvid Best (concussion), LB Justin Durant (concussion) or TE Tony Scheffler (concussion) on season-ending Injured Reserve. "No, we're going to get those guys back as soon as we can, as soon as they pass all their tests and everything like that," Schwartz said. "We feel good about those guys."

I know that this certainly isn't a guarantee he'll come back, but at least it's something being said.

Freeman via CBS.com:

Jahvid Best, RB DET

News: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reported Thursday that Lions RB Jahvid Best has been advised by people close to him to "strongly consider sitting out the year" after suffering his second concussion of the season. As Freeman noted, Best was forced to miss the final four games of his college career due to concussion-like symptoms. Speculation is that further concussion issues could wreck his career. Best did not practice Wednesday and the Lions are mum on whether or not he'll suit up against the Falcons. The team had traded for Eagles RB Ronnie Brown on Tuesday but the deal fell through when Jerome Harrison failed a physical. Maurice Morris is expected to start for the Lions if Best can't make it this week.

Analysis: The move all Jahvid Best owners have to make right now is to pick up Morris -- he's currently owned in just 21 percent of CBSSports.com leagues. Even if Best's stay on the bench is short, Morris will fill in admirably just as he did in the second half of last season when he racked up 79 carries for 326 yards and five touchdowns with 18 catches for 116 yards. Best is still worth owning but at this point he cannot be counted on to start. We'll continue to keep you posted on this news.

My question is if I have Hillis , Torain and Battle and Fjax is there even a chance Morris would ever start for me? He is no Jahvid Best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
(KFFL) Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Wednesday, Oct. 19, that the team has not given any consideration to putting RB Jahvid Best (concussion), LB Justin Durant (concussion) or TE Tony Scheffler (concussion) on season-ending Injured Reserve. "No, we're going to get those guys back as soon as we can, as soon as they pass all their tests and everything like that," Schwartz said. "We feel good about those guys."

I know that this certainly isn't a guarantee he'll come back, but at least it's something being said.
So, what does that mean? He is not passing tests?

Well that sucks. I knew I should have traded him last week after he blew up, but I was holding on to him to get through the week 7 byes. This is the second year in a row my gut told me to trade him and I held on one week too long.

I will not make this mistake again.

So, what does that mean? He is not passing tests?
We don't even know if they've administered any tests yet. It's a wait and see I guess.

'Breesisdaman said:
Freeman via CBS.com:Jahvid Best, RB DETNews: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reported Thursday that Lions RB Jahvid Best has been advised by people close to him to "strongly consider sitting out the year" after suffering his second concussion of the season.
OK, I'm a Best owner and now I'm officially concerned. Thing is, we're not even sure if Morris is going to be the guy or if it will be RBBC with Williams or some random dude off the street. And you can't just drop Best or anything until we hear more.

I am probably in the minority, but I'm just not worrying about the backup situation. If Best goes down, I'm checking out of the Lions running game. I wouldn't feel nearly as concerned if I didn't also lose Felix Jones (although I have Murray) this past week. Guess Daniel Thomas will be my flex and I'll have to hope and pray McCoy and FJax stay healthy.

I am probably in the minority, but I'm just not worrying about the backup situation. If Best goes down, I'm checking out of the Lions running game. I wouldn't feel nearly as concerned if I didn't also lose Felix Jones (although I have Murray) this past week. Guess Daniel Thomas will be my flex and I'll have to hope and pray McCoy and FJax stay healthy.
Im right there with you only instead of Murray I have Hillis, Battle and Torain. If Morris is the guy to grab I just dont think you drop one of these other backs to get him. For you I dont think I would drop Murray or Daniel Thomas.

'solorca said:
Well that sucks. I knew I should have traded him last week after he blew up, but I was holding on to him to get through the week 7 byes. This is the second year in a row my gut told me to trade him and I held on one week too long. I will not make this mistake again.
lol next year draft him and trade in week 1.

Just dropped Hillis for Morris..I doubt Hillis does anything special the remainder of the season, contract dispute or not the Browns running game is a joke.

Morris has proven to be a capable backup and at the very least, you're going to get a nice few weeks from him until Best comes back..

Added Brian Westbrook because Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis aren't available on Yahoo's FA. :football: :ph34r:

Sounds like the chances of him missing the season are less and less?

Lions tailback Jahvid Best celebrates a touchdown against the Chicago Bears on Oct. 10, 2011, in Detroit. / Getty ImagesBY DAVE BIRKETT

DETROIT FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The headaches have mostly subsided, and Jahvid Best is feeling “pretty normal,” but the Detroit Lions running back is likely to miss his second straight game Sunday with a concussion, a person close to Best said today.

Best, who suffered his second concussion of the season two weeks ago in a loss to the San Francisco 49ers, did not practice today, and it’s unknown whether he’ll travel with the team to Denver.

Schwartz was asked today how much it would help Best’s recovery to take consecutive weeks off.

“It’s really yet to be seen,” he said. “But I think, again, I sort of press a button when I start talking about concussions -- every one’s different. Some guys respond differently. And you can’t put any of them in a box.

“With those, you have to be objective, and we’re going to follow recommendations that the doctors give us, and as soon as we can, we’re going to get him back on the field.”

Jahvid Best back week 10? , cbs.comNews: The Detroit Free Press reports Lions RB Jahvid Best will be held out through the bye week and could return in Week 10 against the Bears. Best, who missed Detroit's last game due to a concussion, did not practice on Wednesday. Best said that his headaches have mostly subsided and he is feeling “pretty normal,” but he is likely to miss Week 8 against the Broncos. “It’s really yet to be seen,” coach Jim Schwartz said. “But I think, again, I sort of press a button when I start talking about concussions -- every one’s different. Some guys respond differently. And you can’t put any of them in a box."
I can live with stashing Best until week 10. there just arent many healthy options at RB anyway so if you have to stash an injured RB a couple of weeks it might as well be a guy with the talent of Jahvid Best.

Holding him out past the bye week was a foregone conclusion a long time ago.
By who? This is the first time it was in print to my knowledge.Now I agree that it makes the most sense to do this but "forgone conclusion"? dont think so. Some might say it was a forgone conclusion that he was out for the year.

Holding him out past the bye week was a foregone conclusion a long time ago.
By who? This is the first time it was in print to my knowledge.Now I agree that it makes the most sense to do this but "forgone conclusion"? dont think so. Some might say it was a forgone conclusion that he was out for the year.
A second concussion on a team which tends to be conservative on bringing players back from concussions. I stated this early on that there is no way he would come back before the bye week. The NFL has gotten very concerned with protecting players after multiple concussions in a single year. The first concussion may just be a week or two, but not the second.

“With those, you have to be objective, and we’re going to follow recommendations that the doctors give us, and as soon as we can, we’re going to get him back on the field.”
I'm hard pressed to believe there are many doctors who would recommend someone with a history of concussions to get on an NFL field at all, let alone in two weeks. This is a scary situation. The long term effects of concussions are frightening if someone is rushed back too early. I can't say what too soon is for Best, but three concussions in two years is already a HUGE red flag.

'Max Power said:
'HULLOBUDMAN said:
I'm hard pressed to believe there are many doctors who would recommend someone with a history of concussions to get on an NFL field at all, let alone in two weeks. This is a scary situation. The long term effects of concussions are frightening if someone is rushed back too early. I can't say what too soon is for Best, but three concussions in two years is already a HUGE red flag.
When was the third? I know he had one in college, but I don't recall him having any last year.

I am pretty sure that Best will come back after the bye week, what worries me is that one bit hit and his brains will be like scrambled eggs again. Then the Lions will have to get another RB again next season with LaShoure coming off a serious injury.

'Max Power said:
'HULLOBUDMAN said:
When was the third? I know he had one in college, but I don't recall him having any last year.
He didn't. No concussions as a rookie, just turf toe and an assortment of bumps and bruises.He had a bad cncussikon that ended his college career two years ago, hence the three in two years. But supposedly he had a mild one the week before the big one two years ago - but it was diagnosed after the fact. Not sure why people (quoting media sources) say three in two years, it's a bit misleading, as they really mean three in three seasons. In fact, it's been four in three seasons.

Everyone confused now? :loco:

I am pretty sure that Best will come back after the bye week, what worries me is that one bit hit and his brains will be like scrambled eggs again. Then the Lions will have to get another RB again next season with LaShoure coming off a serious injury.
You'd think people would be more worried about a human being's actual health much more than the health of their favorite team's running back situation. :thumbdown:

I know intuitively *(or maybe it comes from outdated medical theory) we think of concussions as having a cumulative effect, but I don't think that is the view of doctors who specialize in treating concussions. From one of the many other Best injury threads:
Despite Best's history of concussions, doctors not affiliated with him or the Lions say there's no reason to end the running back's season simply based on the number of head injuries he's had."Each time somebody gets a concussion, it's a new concussion," said Dr. Richard Figler, who runs the clinical care division of the concussion center at the Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center. "Concussions themselves, if you treat them appropriately with the guidelines, everyone returns once they're 100% asymptomatic. There are no specific set guidelines that we have to say that two concussions in periods of a month or two months or three months means that someone should never play football again or is out for the season."Added Dr. Jeffrey Kovan, the head primary care team physician at Michigan State: "We're all trying to make this major push that if you've had two concussions, three concussions, you should sit out a year, however long, maybe a career."And the reality (is) that was the old school, the way we did it, and even that was just based on opinion. There was never any science to support it."Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Best continues to follow the NFL's concussion protocols, which require clearance from an independent neurologist before he returns."Like we talked about before, it's not a situation you can tough out, and I think the NFL's been very proactive in what we're doing with concussions," Schwartz said. "We've had some players that have had them, some guys that have missed time and some guys that have gotten back, and I think we'll just take that same approach with Jahvid. As soon as he gets clearance he'll be back."

You'd think people would be more worried about a human being's actual health much more than the health of their favorite team's running back situation. :thumbdown:
How many Fantasy points does your league award by worrying about a players health?j/k

I know intuitively *(or maybe it comes from outdated medical theory) we think of concussions as having a cumulative effect, but I don't think that is the view of doctors who specialize in treating concussions. From one of the many other Best injury threads:
Despite Best's history of concussions, doctors not affiliated with him or the Lions say there's no reason to end the running back's season simply based on the number of head injuries he's had."Each time somebody gets a concussion, it's a new concussion," said Dr. Richard Figler, who runs the clinical care division of the concussion center at the Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center. "Concussions themselves, if you treat them appropriately with the guidelines, everyone returns once they're 100% asymptomatic. There are no specific set guidelines that we have to say that two concussions in periods of a month or two months or three months means that someone should never play football again or is out for the season."Added Dr. Jeffrey Kovan, the head primary care team physician at Michigan State: "We're all trying to make this major push that if you've had two concussions, three concussions, you should sit out a year, however long, maybe a career."And the reality (is) that was the old school, the way we did it, and even that was just based on opinion. There was never any science to support it."Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Best continues to follow the NFL's concussion protocols, which require clearance from an independent neurologist before he returns."Like we talked about before, it's not a situation you can tough out, and I think the NFL's been very proactive in what we're doing with concussions," Schwartz said. "We've had some players that have had them, some guys that have missed time and some guys that have gotten back, and I think we'll just take that same approach with Jahvid. As soon as he gets clearance he'll be back."
I think there's a difference between saying "It doesn't make sense to have a cookie cutter protocol for shutting a guy down for the season" and saying "people with multiple concussions who continue to participate in an activity that led to their concussions means they are at risk to get concussed again".I'm not saying the first concussion makes the second one "easier to get" but there's enough circumstantial evidence in sports to convince me that some guys' heads just aren't built to withstand the hits they dish out or take. These things end careers for some people. Go ask Pat LaFontaine, Eric Lindross, Troy Aikman if these things "add up".

The headaches have mostly subsided, and Jahvid Best is feeling “pretty normal,” but the Detroit Lions running back is likely to miss his second straight game Sunday with a concussion, a person close to Best said today.
This statement sounds promising. From a quality of life perspective it most certainly is. However, it's not necessarily promising at all from a return to play perspective.From my upcoming Second Opinion column today:

The spin from the Jahvid Best camp this week is that it’s good news that his headaches have mostly subsided and that he’ll have three weeks without contact by sitting this week out and resting through the bye. I still believe we’ll see Best back this year, but “his headaches have mostly subsided” is not an innocuous statement for a young man who has had two concussions within two months. If Best is continuing to have headaches ten days after his head injury, there is no timetable for when he’ll be allowed to return to light activity, much less begin the process necessary to be cleared for football related activity and contact. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider Week 10 as no better than a 50-50 proposition right now. It’s also nearly certain that any further symptoms this after his return, no matter how mild, will probably shut him down for the season.

A source close to Jahvid Best confirmed to the Detroit Free Press that Best (concussion) won't play in Week 8 and will be held out through the Lions' Week 9 bye.

It's a good bet that the Free Press' source is Best's agent. The "person close" to Best insists the tailback is feeling "pretty normal" and his headaches "have mostly subsided." Holding Best out for another game will give him three weeks away from contact before a Week 10 division matchup at Chicago. Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams will get one more game to share the backfield, this week squaring off with an overachieving Denver run defense.Source: Detroit Free PressOct 26 - 7:47 P

M

This statement sounds promising. From a quality of life perspective it most certainly is. However, it's not necessarily promising at all from a return to play perspective.From my upcoming Second Opinion column today:

The spin from the Jahvid Best camp this week is that it’s good news that his headaches have mostly subsided and that he’ll have three weeks without contact by sitting this week out and resting through the bye. I still believe we’ll see Best back this year, but “his headaches have mostly subsided” is not an innocuous statement for a young man who has had two concussions within two months. If Best is continuing to have headaches ten days after his head injury, there is no timetable for when he’ll be allowed to return to light activity, much less begin the process necessary to be cleared for football related activity and contact. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider Week 10 as no better than a 50-50 proposition right now. It’s also nearly certain that any further symptoms this after his return, no matter how mild, will probably shut him down for the season.
Do you really think people are interested in this thread because they are concerned about quality of life?? We wish Javid the best but we are looking at Best as a commodity..what kind of production will he have if and when he returns..or if we need to add another RB. People here invest time and money to play this game and need to adjust accordingly if Best is done.

Do you really think people are interested in this thread because they are concerned about quality of life?? We wish Javid the best but we are looking at Best as a commodity..what kind of production will he have if and when he returns..or if we need to add another RB. People here invest time and money to play this game and need to adjust accordingly if Best is done.
I am concerned about his quality of life. I like watching the guy play and I enjoy having him on my fantasy team, but I also don't want to see the guy end up a vegetable because he comes back too soon. Besides, no one knows what kind of production he will have when/if he comes back. Personally, I would much rather see someone offer an educated opinion about his future prospects than to see some random person guess what his workload will be when he is cleared to play.* Dan Morgan was my favorite Panther's player of all time. I loved the passion and energy that he brought to every game that he played, but by the end of his career, I was more concerned about whether he would get another concussion than I was about whether he would make the tackle. He decided to retire when he was still in his physical prime, and as much as it hurt me to see as a fan of the Panthers, I know that it was the right move for him as a man.

I am concerned about his quality of life. I like watching the guy play and I enjoy having him on my fantasy team, but I also don't want to see the guy end up a vegetable because he comes back too soon. Besides, no one knows what kind of production he will have when/if he comes back. Personally, I would much rather see someone offer an educated opinion about his future prospects than to see some random person guess what his workload will be when he is cleared to play.Not to mention, Jene did offer fantasy relevant information.

* Dan Morgan was my favorite Panther's player of all time. I loved the passion and energy that he brought to every game that he played, but by the end of his career, I was more concerned about whether he would get another concussion than I was about whether he would make the tackle. He decided to retire when he was still in his physical prime, and as much as it hurt me to see as a fan of the Panthers, I know that it was the right move for him as a man.

Psst...nobody would care if he died tomorrow if he didn't play in the NFL, outside of his immediate family. Not sure why this shocks or surprises you? :confused: :confused: :confused:

:confused: I think you may have missed both the tone and point of my post, which was that a statement that was likely meant to be reassuring really isn't. Put another way, Best might be feeling a little better, but that doesn't necessarily mean his return to play in less in doubt.

In fact, the bulk of my post argued that despite the implication that the extra two weeks of non-contact through the bye would help Best, the continued symptoms actually argues the opposite. I'm arguing that if you're reading "mostly subsided" and "pretty normal" positively, you shouldn't be. I'm arguing that, if Best comes back, it won't take another concussion for the team to consider shutting him down, it may only take a recurrence of his headaches or light sensitivity or another neurological symptom he's previously experienced. And while I grant that I could've been clearer above, my intention was to specifically suggest that if you're "looking at Best as a commodity" and haven't "adjusted accordingly yet" in the hopes that he'd be back after Week 9, it's time to reconsider that position rather than be reassured by this latest comment.

The headaches have mostly subsided, and Jahvid Best is feeling pretty normal, but the Detroit Lions running back is likely to miss his second straight game Sunday with a concussion, a person close to Best said today.

The spin from the Jahvid Best camp this week is that its good news that his headaches have mostly subsided and that hell have three weeks without contact by sitting this week out and resting through the bye. I still believe well see Best back this year, but his headaches have mostly subsided is not an innocuous statement for a young man who has had two concussions within two months. If Best is continuing to have headaches ten days after his head injury, there is no timetable for when hell be allowed to return to light activity, much less begin the process necessary to be cleared for football related activity and contact. I dont think its unreasonable to consider Week 10 as no better than a 50-50 proposition right now. Its also nearly certain that any further symptoms this after his return, no matter how mild, will probably shut him down for the season.
I am concerned about his quality of life. I like watching the guy play and I enjoy having him on my fantasy team, but I also don't want to see the guy end up a vegetable because he comes back too soon. Besides, no one knows what kind of production he will have when/if he comes back. Personally, I would much rather see someone offer an educated opinion about his future prospects than to see some random person guess what his workload will be when he is cleared to play.Not to mention, Jene did offer fantasy relevant information.

* Dan Morgan was my favorite Panther's player of all time. I loved the passion and energy that he brought to every game that he played, but by the end of his career, I was more concerned about whether he would get another concussion than I was about whether he would make the tackle. He decided to retire when he was still in his physical prime, and as much as it hurt me to see as a fan of the Panthers, I know that it was the right move for him as a man.
Don`t love someone who won`t love you back. Whatever happens to any injured player is out of all of our hands. If they are 100% healthy and mentally fit..or if they are brain dead..we have no control. The player and teams make the decisions.

We are just looking for info to manage our own teams.

Psst...nobody would care if he died tomorrow if he didn't play in the NFL, outside of his immediate family. Not sure why this shocks or surprises you? :confused: :confused: :confused:
In terms of getting serious about concussions, I believe players are a big part of the problem. How many players without their big contracts and guaranteed money (and with someone nipping at their heels on the depth chart) come off the field, put their hand up and say, "I just got my bell rung"?

In terms of getting serious about concussions, I believe players are a big part of the problem. How many players without their big contracts and guaranteed money (and with someone nipping at their heels on the depth chart) come off the field, put their hand up and say, "I just got my bell rung"?
Zero. Because in the NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. The only guaranteed money is in the signing bonus. The player could be cut tomorrow and then not have to pay the player any more. This seems like a bizarre gripe, in a thread with many bizarre gripes.

Zero. Because in the NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. The only guaranteed money is in the signing bonus. The player could be cut tomorrow and then not have to pay the player any more. This seems like a bizarre gripe, in a thread with many bizarre gripes.
Exactly. not trying to hijack this but it's awfully hard to protect players when their own motivation often lies elsewhere. Earlier in the thread someone asked how Best got back in the game and/or stayed in the game after the hit. It's laughably easy for that to happen...

That news report is not positive. The anonymous source is almost certainly his agent, who will put the most positive BS spin on things possible. Yet what is the real content of that story? He still has symptoms! That's the bottom line. It doesn't even address whether he has taken or passed concussion baseline tests.

:confused: I think you may have missed both the tone and point of my post, which was that a statement that was likely meant to be reassuring really isn't. Put another way, Best might be feeling a little better, but that doesn't necessarily mean his return to play in less in doubt.

In fact, the bulk of my post argued that despite the implication that the extra two weeks of non-contact through the bye would help Best, the continued symptoms actually argues the opposite. I'm arguing that if you're reading "mostly subsided" and "pretty normal" positively, you shouldn't be. I'm arguing that, if Best comes back, it won't take another concussion for the team to consider shutting him down, it may only take a recurrence of his headaches or light sensitivity or another neurological symptom he's previously experienced. And while I grant that I could've been clearer above, my intention was to specifically suggest that if you're "looking at Best as a commodity" and haven't "adjusted accordingly yet" in the hopes that he'd be back after Week 9, it's time to reconsider that position rather than be reassured by this latest comment.
Jene - I read this post earlier today and thought it was fairly insightful, so thanks.. Never would have read this level of risk into these comments of Best feeling "Pretty Normal"I am not a Best owner, however certainly looks dicey to consider him playing without any symptoms rest of year. Hopefully this is not career ending for him.

The concussion guidelines from the 2008 Zurich Conference on Concussions in Sports recommends that players be shut down until the following year if they sustain a 3rd concussion within any given season. Mind you, what the Zurich Conference did was establish guidelines. They aren't written law (although, many states are adopting laws that conform to their guidelines). The NFL does not have a formal policy regarding this yet, but Goodell has been very much in solid support of those involved in concussion research and certainly has been helping disseminate these guidelines to teams. If Best is asymptomatic and is allowed to return, great. But, if he gets diagnosed with a 3rd concussion this year, I'm pretty confident the Lions will shut him down and anticipate his return for the following year.

Users who are viewing this thread