What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (5 Viewers)

'Abraham said:
I have quite a bit of experience in raising sums of money like the one you need. I also have some experience in raising money for a restaurant. This info is what has worked well for me, and I learned it from other people who it worked well for also. Do with it what you will...1. You need very detailed projections for the first year of the business. VERY detailed. I suggest a spreadsheet that lets you present a number of scenarios. (e.g. yield on each brisket, change if the price of beef goes up, goes down, etc.) I would seriously look at bringing in a professional to help get this in line. For the restaurant and bar business, your "upside" is about having full tables all the time. YOu need to show potential investors what the bottom line looks like if you are packed and what happens if you serve only 2 tables on week nights. There can not be too much financial information.2. Facility - location is everything (as you know). Building a freestanding structure should be the last thing from your mind. Find an already existing location you can use. If it has been a restaurant before, dig and find out why it closed - maybe the location was not very good.3. Raising money - this is hard, but it has to be done. You need to make a list of EVERYONE you know that does not live month-to-month. Then, you need to rank those people based on how much liquid you think they have. Then you need to pick up the phone, invite them to lunch/coffee and pitch them on the idea. While this may seem awkward, it shouldn't be. Why not? Well, you believe this business will be a success don't you? With every fiber of your being, right? And you will work hard, as much as it takes to make it succeed, right? There isn't a doubt in your mind? Well then why wouldn't you want to ask people for money? You are giving them a chance to share in your imminent success. You are giving them a chance to get in early on this awesome thing of yours that is going to be super successful. The only reason you should feel awkward is if you don't truly believe you will be successful, and if that is the case then maybe you should rethink this whole thing.ETA _ I lost lots of friends when I raised money for an idea that ultimately didn't work. With the knowledge I have now, I never would have gotten involved in the business. Understand that if you lose people's money it will be the first thing they think of when they think of you. There is no way around it and the ramifications for failurer are real. People who invest money in you for things like this do so because they believe a in you. If you fail them, then they will no longer believe in you. That's a high price emotionally4. How to structure the fundraising - this model has been used by at least three successful restaurant groups with which I have worked here in Central Texas. GOAL: $150,000. Lawyer creates Partnership and LLC. You are the LLC and serve as General Partner of the partnership.GP owns 90% of the company, LPs own collective 10%. This values your business at 1.5 Million but your family and friends probably won't get too hung up on this.PPM created (including accreditation disclosure).30 shares at $5,000 each are pooled. ($5,000 per share keeps the riff raff out and means that you won't have to deal with 100 different investors wanting updates all the time).I suggest making it a 2 share minimum, but that's going to more depend on what kind of people you will be pitching.All money is escrowed until all of it is raised. This motivates you to close the deal and gives investors comfort that you aren't going to raise 10k, spend it, then be out of luck.Payout structure:No payments for 12 months. This allows you to focus on the business and not worry about cashflow (presuming you are actually selling some BBQ).Monthly written updates to all investors via email. Payouts made quarterly with 90% of dispersed cash going to the LPs until their initial investment has been recouped.Once initial investment has been recouped, split drops to 50/50 until the LPs have DOUBLED their money.thereafter, payouts are 90% to the GP and 10% to the LP. I've seen it work where the GP can buy out the LPs at this point but that can be tricky.IF (big if) you can double their money in three years (which would mean you have netted $465k in that time frame) then your LPs will be calling you begging to open another location.
The payback part of this is interesting to me. Even though I said I don't think I could do it this way, can you give more detail on how you see that paying out?What kind of dollar volume and reasonable profit margins would you have to clear for the first 3 years in order to double their money like this?Thanks.J

While we are at it...got any sample biz plans you want to share?
I'll do you one better - I'll send you all the legal paperwork you would need for a structure like I suggested (LLC formation, by-laws, LP agreement, accreditation memo, subscription agreement) in exchange for a free meal if I ever make it to McClure's.
I've thought a good bit about this and I don't think I would ever be comfortable doing what you're saying above. That's how it used to work it seems when money was a lot easier to come by and banks and investors had a different attitude.But today given the explosion of mobile food vending and such, I would never consider starting with a real building until I already had built a customer base with the product. What Tipsy is talking about doing a pop up thing at Dantes is the right move. That cost nil. If that works, find another place to do a pop up type mobile thing every day of the week.
Agree completely on building up a name via catering and a pop-up. But my guess was that with a $150k budget then he was starting to look at a permanent space. The "sell it out of a trailer for a while" option is a GREAT way to be cash-flow positive in a hurry and would reduce the investment need substantially.
It makes me cringe when I read what you wrote about losing friends. Maybe I put too much value on friends but I'd have to have an investment I felt incredibly sure of before I'd consider compromising a friendship over it. I just don't think I could do it if it meant that.
It started off as something I was incredibly sure of, but the fault was ultimately mine for getting in to a sector I didn't have much domain knowledge of (software). We brought on a third partner who was the developer but he didn't bring in any of the investors, so when things went sour it was easiest for him to just pack it in leaving my other partner and I explaining to our friends what had happened.The most important lesson I've learned from that experience and all of my activities since then is that you HAVE to have a reasonable path to profitability before taking/spending a dime of other people's money. I see some of these tech investments made daily and simply can not imagine how its going to work out well for the investors. 20 million for a company that helps you find the best pizza in town....10 million for a company that helps you search your Twitter feed better...I simply don't see how they will ever make money. I value my few friends very highly. There is no feeling worse in business then deciding to stop fundraising because you no longer think you can succeed...then having to go to the people who believed in you and having to tell them that things have gone awry. I have a pipe-dream that if I'm ever unbelievably wealthy I'll send all of those people a check for their investment, no note, no explanation. Just the money. It's heart-wrenching to go through which is why I tell people trying to start a business that if you have even the SLIGHTEST doubt then you should take a step back and slow down.

The payback part of this is interesting to me. Even though I said I don't think I could do it this way, can you give more detail on how you see that paying out?What kind of dollar volume and reasonable profit margins would you have to clear for the first 3 years in order to double their money like this?
One of the restaurants I worked with raised 250,000 for their first location via 100 shares at 2500 a piece (5 share min). The two partners had already bought the building in their own names smack dab in the middle of 6th Street. So even though the restaurant paid them a lease, they didn't have to lay out a ton of company money for a prime location. They were able to pay investors enough money in the first 24 months that the same investor pool helped fund a second location (where they did in fact build the building). Two years later they bought an existing restaurant at the lake, a year later they opened a location in San Antonio, a year later in Dallas. The group now has 5 restaurants. The General Manager in during the early years left 5 years ago to start his own thing and how has 3 locations around Austin of a popular hangout.I certainly don't have visibility to the actual numbers but in the first year of the second location, we were grossing 10k - 20k a night on Thursday, Friday, Saturday with about a 50/50 split between dining and the bar. Considerably les during the week as the lunch crowd was steady but hardly fantastic. It has slowed down considerably since then but is still a viable place and led to the next locations I mentioned above.My business that used this model (and failed to ever earn a dime) had projetions showing a full payback in 28 months (the first year deferred, 6 quarters of payments to get to the 125k we raised) and then 9 more quarters to double everyone's money.The restaurant business has the advantage of being cash/credit so there is not much juggling of net terms with customers, etc. The longer runway that can be negotiated, the better. If Tipsy can negotiate a way to only make payouts when the extra funds exceed X$ then that's better then being obligated to pay out after a year or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are at it...got any sample biz plans you want to share?
I'll do you one better - I'll send you all the legal paperwork you would need for a structure like I suggested (LLC formation, by-laws, LP agreement, accreditation memo, subscription agreement) in exchange for a free meal if I ever make it to McClure's.
I've thought a good bit about this and I don't think I would ever be comfortable doing what you're saying above. That's how it used to work it seems when money was a lot easier to come by and banks and investors had a different attitude.But today given the explosion of mobile food vending and such, I would never consider starting with a real building until I already had built a customer base with the product. What Tipsy is talking about doing a pop up thing at Dantes is the right move. That cost nil. If that works, find another place to do a pop up type mobile thing every day of the week.
Agree completely on building up a name via catering and a pop-up. But my guess was that with a $150k budget then he was starting to look at a permanent space. The "sell it out of a trailer for a while" option is a GREAT way to be cash-flow positive in a hurry and would reduce the investment need substantially.
It makes me cringe when I read what you wrote about losing friends. Maybe I put too much value on friends but I'd have to have an investment I felt incredibly sure of before I'd consider compromising a friendship over it. I just don't think I could do it if it meant that.
It started off as something I was incredibly sure of, but the fault was ultimately mine for getting in to a sector I didn't have much domain knowledge of (software). We brought on a third partner who was the developer but he didn't bring in any of the investors, so when things went sour it was easiest for him to just pack it in leaving my other partner and I explaining to our friends what had happened.The most important lesson I've learned from that experience and all of my activities since then is that you HAVE to have a reasonable path to profitability before taking/spending a dime of other people's money. I see some of these tech investments made daily and simply can not imagine how its going to work out well for the investors. 20 million for a company that helps you find the best pizza in town....10 million for a company that helps you search your Twitter feed better...I simply don't see how they will ever make money. I value my few friends very highly. There is no feeling worse in business then deciding to stop fundraising because you no longer think you can succeed...then having to go to the people who believed in you and having to tell them that things have gone awry. I have a pipe-dream that if I'm ever unbelievably wealthy I'll send all of those people a check for their investment, no note, no explanation. Just the money. It's heart-wrenching to go through which is why I tell people trying to start a business that if you have even the SLIGHTEST doubt then you should take a step back and slow down.
Thanks. And to be clear, I wasn't being critical of you there. I'm saying I felt bad to hear that you'd lost friends over it. That's rough as I know you agree.J

Why do they never offer fries as a side in BBQ joints. I dont like any of the sides ever offered

Good luck Tipsy

Why do they never offer fries as a side in BBQ joints. I dont like any of the sides ever offeredGood luck Tipsy
Most BBQ places would rather not maintain a fryer for a single side item that requires a certain freshness in its cooking. Cole Slaw, Tater Salad, Beans can all be made in bulk early in the day and last all day. Fries not only have to be prepped but cooked all day to insure freshness. Too much trouble.

The payback part of this is interesting to me. Even though I said I don't think I could do it this way, can you give more detail on how you see that paying out?What kind of dollar volume and reasonable profit margins would you have to clear for the first 3 years in order to double their money like this?
One of the restaurants I worked with raised 250,000 for their first location via 100 shares at 2500 a piece (5 share min). The two partners had already bought the building in their own names smack dab in the middle of 6th Street. So even though the restaurant paid them a lease, they didn't have to lay out a ton of company money for a prime location. They were able to pay investors enough money in the first 24 months that the same investor pool helped fund a second location (where they did in fact build the building). Two years later they bought an existing restaurant at the lake, a year later they opened a location in San Antonio, a year later in Dallas. The group now has 5 restaurants. The General Manager in during the early years left 5 years ago to start his own thing and how has 3 locations around Austin of a popular hangout.I certainly don't have visibility to the actual numbers but in the first year of the second location, we were grossing 10k - 20k a night on Thursday, Friday, Saturday with about a 50/50 split between dining and the bar. Considerably les during the week as the lunch crowd was steady but hardly fantastic. It has slowed down considerably since then but is still a viable place and led to the next locations I mentioned above.My business that used this model (and failed to ever earn a dime) had projetions showing a full payback in 28 months (the first year deferred, 6 quarters of payments to get to the 125k we raised) and then 9 more quarters to double everyone's money.The restaurant business has the advantage of being cash/credit so there is not much juggling of net terms with customers, etc. The longer runway that can be negotiated, the better. If Tipsy can negotiate a way to only make payouts when the extra funds exceed X$ then that's better then being obligated to pay out after a year or whatever.
Thanks.What would this look like with much more modest sales?Say you're serving 100 plates a day with an average ticket of $10 per plate? That's obviously way more modest than a business that's pulling down 10k a day. But in your opinion, what might the investment numbers and payback to investors look like for something like that? Also understanding the goal of money to raise might be less too. J

Thanks.What would this look like with much more modest sales?Say you're serving 100 plates a day with an average ticket of $10 per plate? That's obviously way more modest than a business that's pulling down 10k a day. But in your opinion, what might the investment numbers and payback to investors look like for something like that? Also understanding the goal of money to raise might be less too. J
LEt's assume that sales are consistent and/or you quickly figure out how to get the most out of your food and labor without wasting much of either. Let's presume that after overhead (including labor and location) you are netting $4 a plate. For BBQ in a pop-up environment, this is probably a conservative number, but you and Tipsy would know better then I.So you are netting $400 a day. Not accounting for taxes (which is sort of important) you have a business making $145,000/year ( round number, assume you are closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter)Has the owner taken a salary for working there? If so, how much? Let's say the owner takes $45k for running the place. So there is 100k left over. Payout of 90/10 would mean the LPs are getting 90k and the owner gets an additional 10k. In an 18 month initial payback projection, the owner could conceivably raise 135k and IN THE SCENARIO ABOVE have everyone paid back their initial amount by month 18 (or month 28 if they built in a no-payment period to get going). Let's say the pop-up doesn't need to keep a ton of cash on hand and we'll do away with the 12 month wait. So, 18 months in everyone has their money back, the owner has a business, and somewhere in there is 135k of assets/cash/etc. So the owner has a viable business, happy investors, 135k in stuff, and made $55k in salary his first year. That is a pretty stinking good new business!Assuming sales stay flat for a while, it would take just shy of two years to double everyone's money. But in this time the owner has maintained his assets, drew 90k in salary (2 years x 45k) and has received 135k additionally from dividend payouts. So three years in the owner has earned almost 240k and has a viable, profitable business. In fact, maybe the owner turns over management at 45k a year to someone else and just takes in dividends or opens another location. After everyone's money has been doubled and assuming sales are flat, the owner is making basically 130k a year not including the manager's salary that may or may not still be theirs.

btw....my first official batch of the modified judge smails chili is under way. I subbed the meats for leftover brisket & pulled pork. fritos, sour cream, and green onions top it off too.

Abraham & Joe: Thanks for the ongoing discussion yall are having. I am very nervous about putting friendships on the line for something that I do realize could fail. I'm not scared of failure...I really don't value possessions very much except my bed & ac in the summer. But putting friends and loved ones on the line.. :eek:

Why do they never offer fries as a side in BBQ joints. I dont like any of the sides ever offeredGood luck Tipsy
BBQ joints here in NC have fries as a side in most places. Hushpuppies are generally always offered too.

Abraham & Joe: Thanks for the ongoing discussion yall are having. I am very nervous about putting friendships on the line for something that I do realize could fail. I'm not scared of failure...I really don't value possessions very much except my bed & ac in the summer. But putting friends and loved ones on the line.. :eek:
There is another way, and one that has gained a lot traction in recent years for people trying to start businesses but who do not have access to a lot of cash: Give half your business away.In your case, the most likely partner would be the owners of Dante's. They know you are a good worker and good at what you do. And they might be interested in "riding your coattails" to expand in to the BBQ sector. They put up $X and you are 50/50 partners. Why 50/50? Because that makes them have a vested interest in the success of McClure's. If they bought in for 10k for 10% (for example) and it didn't work, well they probably wouldn't be too heartbroken. But get them on board to invest $75k now and 75k in six months if you need it and all of a sudden they are really interested in making McClure's successful. Their reputation in the restaurant community might get you a review in the big Nola paper, their call to a radio station might get you some free airtime, their money would help you not have to sweat every dollar early on. And the investment would be more comfortable for everyone since you already know what it's like to work together.This is what James Altucher did with Stockpickr. He partnered with The Street.com at 50/50. They posted ads for Stockpickr on all of their site properties and bought him out two years later for a boatload of money.You may be thinking "I haven't even started and I'm giving up 50%!" Yes. You are. But if you are wildly successful then everyone benefits. It's also possible/probably that if you are successful they will try to buy you out, which could provide the financial ability to take all you have learned at Dante's and McClure's and make a run at it again using your own money.

'tipsy mcstagger said:
'guderian said:
Congrats, Tipsy!

As far as funding, look into Small Business Administration lenders. I think this would be something that would be in their ballpark. You might also want to talk to the guys at Nola Brewing--they've gone through this recently too. I'm sure you probably know them, but if not I can get you an intro.
Thanks Guderian. I don't know them personally. I'd love to talk with them.
Another route is http://ideavillage.org/ although it seems like they like more techy-sizzle type stuff. I don't know how good they are at linking you to money. It's more of an incubator. I just sent you a request on Facebook (I'm pretty sure that was you). We'll come by the restaurant soon to talk about it, but if it's more urgent, let me know.

There is another way, and one that has gained a lot traction in recent years for people trying to start businesses but who do not have access to a lot of cash: Give half your business away.In your case, the most likely partner would be the owners of Dante's. They know you are a good worker and good at what you do. And they might be interested in "riding your coattails" to expand in to the BBQ sector. They put up $X and you are 50/50 partners. Why 50/50? Because that makes them have a vested interest in the success of McClure's. If they bought in for 10k for 10% (for example) and it didn't work, well they probably wouldn't be too heartbroken. But get them on board to invest $75k now and 75k in six months if you need it and all of a sudden they are really interested in making McClure's successful. Their reputation in the restaurant community might get you a review in the big Nola paper, their call to a radio station might get you some free airtime, their money would help you not have to sweat every dollar early on. And the investment would be more comfortable for everyone since you already know what it's like to work together.This is what James Altucher did with Stockpickr. He partnered with The Street.com at 50/50. They posted ads for Stockpickr on all of their site properties and bought him out two years later for a boatload of money.You may be thinking "I haven't even started and I'm giving up 50%!" Yes. You are. But if you are wildly successful then everyone benefits. It's also possible/probably that if you are successful they will try to buy you out, which could provide the financial ability to take all you have learned at Dante's and McClure's and make a run at it again using your own money.
I like the idea, but the owner of Dante's won't be an investor.

Then approach another restaurant that is successful and that you admire. Or a successful catering business.

Tipsy,

I will spread the word amongst everyone I know in N.O. and BR. A bunch of the local forums also. I had been toying with the idea of a tweeting food truck, i.e. "Tipsys foodstravaganza will be at the corner of Canal and Bourbon from 11-2" but over here for LSU games. Not sure about N.O. but thats big over in BR.

Promotional stuff, i.e. groupon, living social, etc... That stuff sells and gets word out.

Food truck in the 1/4er on weekends.

Just brainstorming.

Best of luck! I can eat BBQ every day, so this is close to my heart. Don't mean to be too big of a :nerd: but reserve your domain when you're certain of the name.

Why do they never offer fries as a side in BBQ joints. I dont like any of the sides ever offered

Good luck Tipsy
Fries are a headache to do right, Acer. Dealing with oil and fryer and such. But done right, they're an awewsome BBQ side. Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City is a BBQ Icon and they are famous for the fresh cut fries. http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-west/behind-scenes-arthur-bryants-barbeque-in-kansas-city-00400000005742/J
actually Joe every BBQ joint in KC offers fries. They aren't necessarily all good, and Bryants are probably the best, but they all have them. in fact i don't have enough bbq experience nationwide, but i've yet to see a place without fries.

That being said, i never order them.. i'd much rather have beans or slaw or just more meat.

Good luck Tipsy
Fries are a headache to do right, Acer. Dealing with oil and fryer and such. But done right, they're an awewsome BBQ side. Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City is a BBQ Icon and they are famous for the fresh cut fries. http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-west/behind-scenes-arthur-bryants-barbeque-in-kansas-city-00400000005742/J
actually Joe every BBQ joint in KC offers fries. They aren't necessarily all good, and Bryants are probably the best, but they all have them. in fact i don't have enough bbq experience nationwide, but i've yet to see a place without fries.

That being said, i never order them.. i'd much rather have beans or slaw or just more meat.
:thumbup: J

The menu for the pop up place will only feature a few of these items each week. I don't have the smoker capacity to smoke all the meats at once right now.Meats:Kansas City Pork RibsMemphis Pulled PorkTexas BrisketCaribbean Smoked ChickenLouisiana Hot SausageSides:Mac and 4 CheesesSpicy & Sweet Cole SlawPork Explosion BeansMolasses & Jalapeno Corn BreadGerman Potato SaladJudge Smails Chili *(Hybrid / and different name)Cane Syrup Slow Cooked Collard GreensBlack Eyed Joes/Beans & Rice....this list is only really limited to my kitchen size. I have southern sides for days, but these are the core.
Good Luck!But I would re-think the whole KC, Memphis, Caribbean and Texas deal. A lot of different brands to live up to imo.

As a note, I am part of a team that competes in the San Antonio rodeo cook off each year. There were 268 teams last year. I don't need to tell you that brisket is king. Great brisket can overcome mediocre everything else. Great everything else can not overcome mediocre brisket. Of you want to come over this year (late January) let me know!

*my roll on the team is to drink beer and cut up while my brother in law cooks for 72 hours straight.

The menu for the pop up place will only feature a few of these items each week. I don't have the smoker capacity to smoke all the meats at once right now.Meats:Kansas City Pork RibsMemphis Pulled PorkTexas BrisketCaribbean Smoked ChickenLouisiana Hot SausageSides:Mac and 4 CheesesSpicy & Sweet Cole SlawPork Explosion BeansMolasses & Jalapeno Corn BreadGerman Potato SaladJudge Smails Chili *(Hybrid / and different name)Cane Syrup Slow Cooked Collard GreensBlack Eyed Joes/Beans & Rice....this list is only really limited to my kitchen size. I have southern sides for days, but these are the core.
Good Luck!But I would re-think the whole KC, Memphis, Caribbean and Texas deal. A lot of different brands to live up to imo.
That was my thought too, but you have to remember where he is. New Orleans doesn't really have a BBQ identity. I don't think playing up the different styles would ever work in a hardcore BBQ area like Kansas City, Texas, Alabama or Tennessee. People in Texas firmly believe their BBQ is best and want nothing to do with Kansas City style. But for New Orleans, it could work.J

Good luck Tipsy

I cannot imagine any side being more anti-bbq than fries. Fries go with a burger. Beans, slaw, potato salad, white bread, and iced tea. Those go with bbq. Luling City Market, Kreuz, nor any other bbq place of legend/lore would ever sell fries. (Please don't ask them.)

To his defense, the BBQ market in New Orelans is extremely bare and while there are many people who worship food; I don't think they're going to be too particular about KC vs. Memphis vs. Texas, etc. They just want good food to eat.ETA: looks like Joe covered that above

The different styles are because ...Kc has the best ribs....Texas has the best brisket....Memphis has the best pulled pork (i wont knock on baby backs...they are great just not what im doing), The folks in the Caribbean invented bbq, and a spicy smoked chicken is what I do best, and duh...LA sausages.

This would not fly in BBQ country. I think its the perfect platform for NOLA's to get better acclimated to all the great styles out there....plus it gives me more to talk about in my role as BBQ pit man.

btw...i just made some of Bob Gibsons white bbq sauce...so alabama will be represented too. And the Carolinas will be represented with whole hog pickins when I get my own building.

The different styles are because ...Kc has the best ribs....Texas has the best brisket....Memphis has the best pulled pork (i wont knock on baby backs...they are great just not what im doing), The folks in the Caribbean invented bbq, and a spicy smoked chicken is what I do best, and duh...LA sausages.This would not fly in BBQ country. I think its the perfect platform for NOLA's to get better acclimated to all the great styles out there....plus it gives me more to talk about in my role as BBQ pit man.btw...i just made some of Bob Gibsons white bbq sauce...so alabama will be represented too. And the Carolinas will be represented with whole hog pickins when I get my own building.
if you need a tester, let me know!

Good luck Tipsy

I cannot imagine any side being more anti-bbq than fries. Fries go with a burger. Beans, slaw, potato salad, white bread, and iced tea. Those go with bbq. Luling City Market, Kreuz, nor any other bbq place of legend/lore would ever sell fries. (Please don't ask them.)
i agree here, I don't want fries with my BBQ, i want something else entirely! But for what it's worth KC is a pretty major BBQ town and in every joint here there are fries, and like Joe said, at Arthur Bryant's (arguably one of the most famous BBQ joints of them all) they are kind of a "thing".

But I could be biased, i'm not really into fries that much at all... good or bad I'd rather have more of something else.

And at Bryants unless you're extremely hungry or huge... if you just get the sandwich you've probably gotten more than enough food.

Serve what people want to eat. Not your job to educate the population on which sides are 'proper'.

Who cares if someone eats fries with their BBQ?

Fries being anti-bbq? Maybe you should travel to other BBQ regions and see that fries are a staple at many legend/lore BBQ joints.

Serve what people want to eat. Not your job to educate the population on which sides are 'proper'. Who cares if someone eats fries with their BBQ?
This. We have a small chain around here called City BBQ and they have fresh cut fries.

Fries being anti-bbq? Maybe you should travel to other BBQ regions and see that fries are a staple at many legend/lore BBQ joints.
Certainly been the case in my experience.

well North Carolinians really shouldn't talk about what is and isn't proper bbq.

well North Carolinians really shouldn't talk about what is and isn't proper bbq.
There are two kinds of BBQ. Western Carolina and Eastern Carolina.

Serve what people want to eat. Not your job to educate the population on which sides are 'proper'.

Who cares if someone eats fries with their BBQ?
Ahhh.

That's another great topic for discussion. I'm not sure hijacking Tipsy's thread is best for that but it's somewhat related as he's developing a menu.

He's been on both sides I know as Dantes dictates very heavily what you will like. They feel like they educate. It works for them obviously, but Tipsy will tell you that kind of chef driven vs customer driven thing can be difficult sometimes.

It all comes down to how good it really is. And if you can convince the customer that your way is better than what they think they want. It's a tough gig.

Kruez Market http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml in Lockhart Texas is widely considered on of the top BBQ places in Texas. Which means it's one of the top BBQ places in the world. They adamantly refuse to offer BBQ sauce. (and forks too but that's another topic). They're one of the most successful BBQ restaurants in the world. But there is a TON of Central Texas BBQ culture (where no sauce and no forks is not just accepted but embraced) that influences that.

There is a hot new BBQ place in Dallas called Lockhart Smokehouse http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com/ It's off to a great start offering Dallas folks authentic Central TX style BBQ. They started off with no sauce. But that didn't fly in Dallas and they retreated. It's likely the smart move for Dallas.

Finding that balance is the key.

J

McClure's Barbecue opens for business in November. I am starting as a pop up restaurant inside of Dante's on Tuesday nights only (the only night Dante's is closed) and will aggressively start pushing catering as soon as I can get a rig on wheels. I hope to be in my own brick & mortar place by this time next year or be well on my way to doing it.I have also given my notice at Dante's already. I'll still be around until next September, but I am going to be phased out.
I wish I had the balls to do this, best of luck :thumbup:

Fries aren't really even on my radar y'all....I am not looking to open with fryers, unless the capital to open a bigger place falls in line. If that happens, I will most certainly have Fried Chicken occasionally (my first love of cooking) and thin cut red onion rings...so fries would probably be considered then too. And fried okra so good you will slap my mother. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread