What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

I am freaking out at the moment. My current chef / owner here at Dante's is going to let me open as a lunch pop up inside Dante's Monday - Fridays. I will be opening IMMEDIATELY...as in sometime before the new year. The Tuesday night thing will happen at least until then....but I am about to be a full time restaurant with built in clients...recognition...and the lowest opening budget imaginable. I need a drink. My head is spinning.

I am freaking out at the moment. My current chef / owner here at Dante's is going to let me open as a lunch pop up inside Dante's Monday - Fridays. I will be opening IMMEDIATELY...as in sometime before the new year. The Tuesday night thing will happen at least until then....but I am about to be a full time restaurant with built in clients...recognition...and the lowest opening budget imaginable. I need a drink. My head is spinning.
:excited: Congrats! Where will you be setting up? Will you still be running dante's at night?

Last edited by a moderator:
:excited: Congrats! Where will you be setting up? Will you still be running dante's at night?
Not competing at all. Lunch crowd we used to have before we axed it a few years back never came for dinner. This place was a lunch spot for twenty years before us...so even today we still have people trying to eat every day. And its been closed since 06.

Wow. This is fantastic news Tipsy.

I have some unsolicited advice:

1. Wagyu beef on cheap cuts like brisket and hamburger is a waste imo. It gets the snob appeal, but I sincerely believe the end product is not superior to choice brisket or fresh ground beef of any combinations of cuts ground that day ( I like brisket, hangar steak and chuck).

I recommend using the cheaper USDA choice for the superior food cost or going with grass fed. Grass fed has signficantly less fat, is significantly healthier and requires considerably more skill to do well. But I perceive a much higher market demand for grass fed than I do gourmet (i.e., wagyu) cuts.

2. Simplify. If chicken is your wheelhouse, do that and one other homerun daily (ribs or brisket) and run every other meat on a daily special. There's a reason you cannot get a McRib every day. People either get sick of it or take it for granted. Make Mondays pulled pork, Tuesdays beef ribs, etc. And make the daily specials in limited quantities to generate demand. You need to sell out of your daily specials by 12:30. MAke 'em show up early. This also minimizes your daily prep to only ahve three meats daily. You might even only only 3 anchor sides and do the fourth one as a daily special. This minimizes prep and creates a demand and a reason to go on any given day. Decide on two sauces and offer those only. Very few bbq joints offer more than two and do very well. with you severely lmiting restrictions, do not create more work for yourself . Streamline. Offer a third sauce on a day of a corresponding meat special.

Best of luck.

1. Wagyu beef on cheap cuts like brisket and hamburger is a waste imo. It gets the snob appeal, but I sincerely believe the end product is not superior to choice brisket or fresh ground beef of any combinations of cuts ground that day ( I like brisket, hangar steak and chuck).

I recommend using the cheaper USDA choice for the superior food cost or going with grass fed. Grass fed has signficantly less fat, is significantly healthier and requires considerably more skill to do well. But I perceive a much higher market demand for grass fed than I do gourmet (i.e., wagyu) cuts.

2. Simplify. If chicken is your wheelhouse, do that and one other homerun daily (ribs or brisket) and run every other meat on a daily special. There's a reason you cannot get a McRib every day. People either get sick of it or take it for granted. Make Mondays pulled pork, Tuesdays beef ribs, etc. And make the daily specials in limited quantities to generate demand. You need to sell out of your daily specials by 12:30. MAke 'em show up early. This also minimizes your daily prep to only ahve three meats daily. You might even only only 3 anchor sides and do the fourth one as a daily special. This minimizes prep and creates a demand and a reason to go on any given day. Decide on two sauces and offer those only. Very few bbq joints offer more than two and do very well. with you severely lmiting restrictions, do not create more work for yourself . Streamline. Offer a third sauce on a day of a corresponding meat special.

Best of luck.
No way I did Wagyu unless I was intentionally opening a higher end place in a more yuppie crowd. Stupid costs. Limited return. I am going to go family style for now with all the sides. All the customer needs to do is tell me what meat/or combo and what drink. I will probably always run ribs & chicken...they can be done in a few hours versus up at 4 am every day (or earlier).

I will be a meat , meat, meat, and three or four. This will be easy once I get a few months under my belt. And I'll be a M-F guy for the first time in my adult life.....which could mean the wife leaves me soon since I'll be around more. :)

Best of luck.
No way I did Wagyu unless I was intentionally opening a higher end place in a more yuppie crowd. Stupid costs. Limited return. I am going to go family style for now with all the sides. All the customer needs to do is tell me what meat/or combo and what drink. I will probably always run ribs & chicken...they can be done in a few hours versus up at 4 am every day (or earlier).

I will be a meat , meat, meat, and three or four. This will be easy once I get a few months under my belt. And I'll be a M-F guy for the first time in my adult life.....which could mean the wife leaves me soon since I'll be around more. :)
perfect. meat, meat, meat and 3 or 4 is imminently doable in a new place with limited facilities. I was perceiving much more expansive menu. Altho I still endorse daily specials to give people a reason to visit on any given day. Also, if you have access to a fryer, hand cut fries and catfish on fridays will almost guarantee a big crowd. and bring in the interested non-meat-eaters.

Hrmm... we're taking the train down on Friday December 9th but we don't arrive till 3:30. Boo! We're still coming by for Brunch that Sunday though.

Congrats again on the arrangement. It sounds EXACTLY like what you need to get off the ground. :thumbup:

I hear ya on the Ribs/Chicken being much shorter cook times. I'm not a huge fan of overnight cooks. Just a suggestion but you MIGHT want to look into a Rock's BBQ Stoker Pit Control system. They make them for any size pit. If you ran a couple/few cooks with the system to get the hang of it, I'm confident you could set and forget for overnight cooks and have your shoulder waiting on you almost finished when you wake up the next morning. Yes, it's sorta cheating... but your customers won't see any difference in the end product and that's the most important part.

They have a model compatible with your Lang. You're looking at around $500 total to get a great control system going that would make your life a LOT easier once the novelty of daily smokes wears off... or once your customers start demanding pulled pork or brisket daily after trying it. :D

Hrmm... we're taking the train down on Friday December 9th but we don't arrive till 3:30. Boo! We're still coming by for Brunch that Sunday though.

Congrats again on the arrangement. It sounds EXACTLY like what you need to get off the ground. :thumbup:

I hear ya on the Ribs/Chicken being much shorter cook times. I'm not a huge fan of overnight cooks. Just a suggestion but you MIGHT want to look into a Rock's BBQ Stoker Pit Control system. They make them for any size pit. If you ran a couple/few cooks with the system to get the hang of it, I'm confident you could set and forget for overnight cooks and have your shoulder waiting on you almost finished when you wake up the next morning. Yes, it's sorta cheating... but your customers won't see any difference in the end product and that's the most important part.

They have a model compatible with your Lang. You're looking at around $500 total to get a great control system going that would make your life a LOT easier once the novelty of daily smokes wears off... or once your customers start demanding pulled pork or brisket daily after trying it. :D
That is very cool. It even tweets.

Yep. If configured right you can log in from your phone and check temps, you can adjust pit temps to speed/slow cook based on meat internal temps. It's really slick. I have one and use it on occasion (not as frequently as I thought I would). I prefer the ritual of tending the pit through the cook, but they're invaluable for overnight cooks when you actually want to get some shuteye.

Yep. If configured right you can log in from your phone and check temps, you can adjust pit temps to speed/slow cook based on meat internal temps. It's really slick. I have one and use it on occasion (not as frequently as I thought I would). I prefer the ritual of tending the pit through the cook, but they're invaluable for overnight cooks when you actually want to get some shuteye.
Having done more than a few overnight cooks I can see how these would definitely be a huge plus for pro cookers.

Having done more than a few overnight cooks I can see how these would definitely be a huge plus for pro cookers.
I've used it for overnights at the house before, and I'd just set my laptop up bedside with the screen down to lowest brightness. I'd leave it logged into the smoker and set alarms for certain conditions (ie pit gets above 350, meat probes hit 180, etc) and then go to sleep. If I woke in the middle of hte night I could just peek quickly to see where everything was at then go back to sleep with peace of mind. If something bad happened (fire got out of control in pit, or meat cooked really quick) there was an alarm that would wake me to deal with it. :thumbup:Anyways, enough of sidetrack. Tipsy, if you do end up wanting to automate your long cooks to give you a little more sleep at some point, you know how to reach me. I'll be glad to help. Hell, I could loan you my unit so you could test it out first. You'd just need to get the adapter plate for your Lang. :thumbup:

The downside is that it sucks the soul out of it though. It won't make sense to lots of people but a huge part of BBQ is the experience of cooking with live fire.It's not practical and it makes poor business sense.

But for some people, it's worth it.

I'd think if you wanted to go with a Stoker set up like this, you'd just as well get a pellet cooker or run a gas powered Southern Pride with a few sticks of wood burning off to the side so you could say it was "smoked".

Tipsy's doing it right I think.

J

The downside is that it sucks the soul out of it though. It won't make sense to lots of people but a huge part of BBQ is the experience of cooking with live fire.It's not practical and it makes poor business sense.

I'd think if you wanted to go with a Stoker set up like this, you'd just as well get a pellet cooker or run a gas powered Southern Pride with a few sticks of wood burning off to the side so you could say it was "smoked".

J
When I was unemployed I helped a guy turn out 700-800 hundred pounds of bbq a week to make some extra cash. 2-3 overnight cooks a week. For a production set up like that I think this would be a big help. Even for a busy restaurant I think this would be good. I get what your saying about the old fashioned way and I can agree when we are talking competition,personal cooking or once a week cooks. But when it's half a ton a week that's a different animal altogether.Especially if it's the exact same cooker, using the exact same wood/meat combo and the only difference is someone gets a 6 hour shorter day.

J
For occasional cooks, yes I very strongly prefer the experience of tending the fire. You're 100% right. However IF it gets to the point where Tipsy is going to be offering fresh shoulder multiple days a week for lunch, he's looking at sacrificing tremendous amounts of sleep. The first few times it's fun to be up at the week hours. It's rewarding. After doing it 2-3 times a week for a few months I'm pretty sure it gets stale and it will turn into "work".

I disagree that he might as well get a pellet cooker for a variety of reasons:

1) I feel that real stick/Charcoal burners turn out a superior product to pellet cookers

2) On cooks when he isn't going overnight, he still has the great Lang cooker

3) On cooks when he needs to cook overnight and doesn't feel like staying up with the cooker, he's still getting the Lang flavor.

4) The cost of automating a Lang is $500... much less than investing in a pellet pooper. :)

The upside of the automation is you only use it when you WANT to (ie when long overnight cooks are just not appealing). You sacrifice very little if anything in the way of quality (as evidenced by Stoker's being very popular on competition circuits).

Your only real "Loss" on cooks where you use the Stoker is the "Sprit of the Cook" which is no doubt a tangible factor. However at some point it's possible the obligation of long early morning hour cooks could no longer be enjoyable and could contribute to "burn out" and begin to decrease the overall enjoyment with the restaurant. In that capacity I think a Stoker setup is invaluable. Man the pit when the cook is enjoyable. Automate it when you're busy/tired with little/no sacrifice in the end product.

This all, of course, assumes Tipsy's business takes off (as it should) and he begins offering long-cook meats on a regular basis.

He could always shift his sleep cycle and start going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 2-3 am every morning too, but that calls into question another whole host of issues.

Anyways... just food for thought. :thumbup:

'[icon] said:
'Joe Bryant said:
'NCCommish said:
'[icon] said:

J
For occasional cooks, yes I very strongly prefer the experience of tending the fire. You're 100% right. However IF it gets to the point where Tipsy is going to be offering fresh shoulder multiple days a week for lunch, he's looking at sacrificing tremendous amounts of sleep. The first few times it's fun to be up at the week hours. It's rewarding. After doing it 2-3 times a week for a few months I'm pretty sure it gets stale and it will turn into "work".

I disagree that he might as well get a pellet cooker for a variety of reasons:

1) I feel that real stick/Charcoal burners turn out a superior product to pellet cookers

2) On cooks when he isn't going overnight, he still has the great Lang cooker

3) On cooks when he needs to cook overnight and doesn't feel like staying up with the cooker, he's still getting the Lang flavor.

4) The cost of automating a Lang is $500... much less than investing in a pellet pooper. :)

The upside of the automation is you only use it when you WANT to (ie when long overnight cooks are just not appealing). You sacrifice very little if anything in the way of quality (as evidenced by Stoker's being very popular on competition circuits).

Your only real "Loss" on cooks where you use the Stoker is the "Sprit of the Cook" which is no doubt a tangible factor. However at some point it's possible the obligation of long early morning hour cooks could no longer be enjoyable and could contribute to "burn out" and begin to decrease the overall enjoyment with the restaurant. In that capacity I think a Stoker setup is invaluable. Man the pit when the cook is enjoyable. Automate it when you're busy/tired with little/no sacrifice in the end product.

This all, of course, assumes Tipsy's business takes off (as it should) and he begins offering long-cook meats on a regular basis.

He could always shift his sleep cycle and start going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 2-3 am every morning too, but that calls into question another whole host of issues.

Anyways... just food for thought. :thumbup:
I say this because of the soul thing. If you're going to hook a bbq pit to a laptop, you're sucking the soul out of it the same as if you went to a pellet cooker using processed sawdust and calling it "hickory". I fully expect to be in the huge minority on this. It makes poor business sense as you can get it done faster / cheaper / easier by compromising. It's a dying method one you don't see too much outside of Central Texas and North Carolina these days. But I think it's also why Central Texas and North Carolina are universally recognized as producing the best BBQ in the world.

Everyone knows the meteoric rise of Franklin BBQ in Austin. I think a lot of that has to do with Franklin keeping it old school and doing it "right".

A chain restaurant will be much more popular using electronic control devices so they can plug anyone in to the be the pitmaster. Aside from it not being as good, it's soulless.

And that's something I think.

J

I know Joe and I, while being on the same page 95% of the time with regards to BBQ, will differ on this and neither will budge so I'l just close with my thoughts:

• To me, compromise is anything that affects the end product. Going with Pellets/Gas is a huge NO in my book. Must be smoked over a stick/charcoal fire.

• Nobody can tell the difference between product cooked on a manually stoked fire and an electronically stoked one. Same wood. Same pit. Same meat. Same smoke. Same process. The only thing that changes is who adjusts the vents to control temps. Thats it. Everything else is exactly the same.

• The stoker doesn't apply the rub, choose the meat, Decide finish times, Choose fuel, Decide cooking temps or times, finish the meat with sauce/pulling/etc. The only thing a stoker system does, is adjust airflow to control temps. 90%+ of the process is still very much human controlled.

• The stoker certainly shouldn't be used for all cooks. I agree a pitmaster should be as hands-on as possible during a cook. My stoker got used 0 times this season. However, in the case of a commercial cook where it's a day in and day out process, I think it could be a helpful tool in long cooks to allow Tipsy the ability to separate himself from the smoker for sleep/family/sanity/etc. If he's only doing long cooks infrequently or not at all then there's no need for a stoker. If he enjoys getting up at 3am to get things going and its doesn't affect his health, family life, or enjoyment of the business... then there's no need for a stoker. I view the stoker like an instant read digital thermometer. True old school guys cook by feel. However I feel instant read digital therms are a godsend for consistency's sake.

Anyways... nuff bout that. Sorry for gunking up the thread and I'm sure it won't even come to this as it seems Tipsy is avoiding long cook items for the daily menu for the time being (for sleep/sanity reasons). Just throwing this out there. :thumbup:

• Nobody can tell the difference between product cooked on a manually stoked fire and an electronically stoked one. Same wood. Same pit. Same meat. Same smoke. Same process. The only thing that changes is who adjusts the vents to control temps. Thats it. Everything else is exactly the same.
This is what I'm thinking. If the food looks and tastes just the same and the customers have no idea that the pit was adjusted electronically it doesn't matter.How many people are going to walk into BBQ place and then walk out because they see a control system?

;)

The irony on this is the guy in your avatar would understand and be on my side I think. Jobs' fanatical pursuit of excellence extended way beyond the things "you could see" and effect the "end product". He was obsessed with things like the circuit boards be beautiful when just securely connected would have been good enough. He stressed to the Apple people that the end user would likely never know. But they would know.

That's the soul thing I'm talking about. It goes beyond the actual end result product and gets into that weird almost spiritual area of more than the product. Be it beautiful circuit boards that no one will ever see or time honored cooking methods. It's a soul thing. And I think that eventually does come back around to affecting the company.

But icon's right, we agree on about 95% of BBQ and he certainly is excellent there. I just thought it was interesting that of all the people that would be able to see my (admittedly minority) side, it would be a Steve Jobs fan. All good.

J

This is what I'm thinking. If the food looks and tastes just the same and the customers have no idea that the pit was adjusted electronically it doesn't matter.How many people are going to walk into BBQ place and then walk out because they see a control system?
That's the thing, sconch. The answer is probably not many. Or actually probably none would walk out.The question is how much is doing things the "right way" (and defining "right way") worth in the bigger picture? Will it propel a place into the stratosphere like it did Franklin BBQ in Austin? I dunno. It's certainly not the only reason. But I can say I think it had a big part in it. I think I can say that a guy cooking with gas or or computerized thermostat system in Austin wouldn't have had the success that Franklin has. And that could be very well be different in New Orleans where the BBQ culture is different.

It would be more like using premade roux from a jar in New Orleans. I'm going to guess Tipsy would be appalled at that. And yet there will be lots of people (maybe most) that wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a gumbo loaded up with spice and flavors. It's a soul thing. And it wouldn't excel in New Orleans. Where you might be able to get away with it in gumbo served in Austin.

J

;)

The irony on this is the guy in your avatar would understand and be on my side I think. Jobs' fanatical pursuit of excellence extended way beyond the things "you could see" and effect the "end product". He was obsessed with things like the circuit boards be beautiful when just securely connected would have been good enough. He stressed to the Apple people that the end user would likely never know. But they would know.

That's the soul thing I'm talking about. It goes beyond the actual end result product and gets into that weird almost spiritual area of more than the product. Be it beautiful circuit boards that no one will ever see or time honored cooking methods. It's a soul thing. And I think that eventually does come back around to affecting the company.

But icon's right, we agree on about 95% of BBQ and he certainly is excellent there. I just thought it was interesting that of all the people that would be able to see my (admittedly minority) side, it would be a Steve Jobs fan. All good.

J
Wait, icon is suggesting that part of the operation could be run by a computer and you think that's a strange position for a Steve Jobs fan?

;)

J
Wait, icon is suggesting that part of the operation could be run by a computer and you think that's a strange position for a Steve Jobs fan?
:lmao: I've always seen Jobs as more of an excellence in business and manufacturing / design guy bigger than computers or ipods. But maybe you're right.J

Ill be offering brisket & pulled pork daily along with the ribs and chicken. I will be turning my sleep schedule on its head. I am doing this for a number of reasons, the main one being the zen like state I get from watching fire & smelling smoke. I may look into a stoker down the road...sounds like a good deal for the sleep compromise issue, but it is indeed without soul. It may turn out to be the only way I can do this if I want to have all four cuts for lunch everyday.

I appreciate the debate. Thanks y'all.

Speaking of not sleeping...maybe got two hours last night, and then puked after my first sip of iced coffee. I'm a little high on adrenaline right now. :banned:

Ill be offering brisket & pulled pork daily along with the ribs and chicken. I will be turning my sleep schedule on its head. I am doing this for a number of reasons, the main one being the zen like state I get from watching fire & smelling smoke. I may look into a stoker down the road...sounds like a good deal for the sleep compromise issue, but it is indeed without soul. It may turn out to be the only way I can do this if I want to have all four cuts for lunch everyday. I appreciate the debate. Thanks y'all. Speaking of not sleeping...maybe got two hours last night, and then puked after my first sip of iced coffee. I'm a little high on adrenaline right now. :banned:
Rock on GB. Sorry to use your thread for BBQ tangents. It's become the official BBQ thread which is fine with me. Keep it to the top more that way. Stoked for you.J

It would be more like using premade roux from a jar in New Orleans. I'm going to guess Tipsy would be appalled at that. And yet there will be lots of people (maybe most) that wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a gumbo loaded up with spice and flavors. It's a soul thing. And it wouldn't excel in New Orleans. Where you might be able to get away with it in gumbo served in Austin.
Apples and oranges here IMO. I'm not talking about using premade ingredients made by someone else.. that is most certainly something that could affect the flavor. I'll repeat.. the ONLY thing a stoker does is control airflow to the fire. There is zero impact on flavor. Ingredients are the same. Meat is the same. Outcome is the same. The only variable in the entire process is whether a man or machine opens the vents a bit when the temps ran low, I do find it interesting that you took a position earlier in the thread where you advocated using premade/canned beans vs Tipsy's method of manually making his own beans. That seems to steand in stark contrast with the stance you're taking here. I guess I'm just curious about the difference. If you think canned beans are as good as manually prepared beans (debatable imo but I agree the difference doesn't warrant the time invested) and therefore the shortcut is justified, then why take such a hard line against a stoker where it's a comparable convenience factor with even less (zero) impact on the final product?

Re-iterating again that the Stoker is not intended to be used on all cooks... just on some long cooks on nights when tipsy might want the extra sleep, sexy time with his wife, whatever. :)

Apples and oranges here IMO. I'm not talking about using premade ingredients made by someone else.. that is most certainly something that could affect the flavor. I'll repeat.. the ONLY thing a stoker does is control airflow to the fire. There is zero impact on flavor. Ingredients are the same. Meat is the same. Outcome is the same. The only variable in the entire process is whether a man or machine opens the vents a bit when the temps ran low, I do find it interesting that you took a position earlier in the thread where you advocated using premade/canned beans vs Tipsy's method of manually making his own beans. That seems to stand in stark contrast with the stance you're taking here. I guess I'm just curious about the difference. If you think canned beans are as good as manually prepared beans (debatable imo but I agree the difference doesn't warrant the time invested) and therefore the shortcut is justified, then why take such a hard line against a stoker where it's a comparable convenience factor with even less (zero) impact on the final product?

Re-iterating again that the Stoker is not intended to be used on all cooks... just on some long cooks on nights when tipsy might want the extra sleep, sexy time with his wife, whatever. :)
Me too

Ill be offering brisket & pulled pork daily along with the ribs and chicken. I will be turning my sleep schedule on its head. I am doing this for a number of reasons, the main one being the zen like state I get from watching fire & smelling smoke. I may look into a stoker down the road...sounds like a good deal for the sleep compromise issue, but it is indeed without soul. It may turn out to be the only way I can do this if I want to have all four cuts for lunch everyday. I appreciate the debate. Thanks y'all. Speaking of not sleeping...maybe got two hours last night, and then puked after my first sip of iced coffee. I'm a little high on adrenaline right now. :banned:
I agree on the zen factor... I actually had a fantastic morning a few weeks back when I was cooking for a large outing on a pit I'd never used before. Went to bed at 1am after a night by the camfire. was first up at 4am to build the fire, rub the shoulders, and get the process going. We were out in the middle of nowhere and I gotta say that was one of the best morning's I've had in a long time. Just sitting by pit, keeping an eye on things while everyone else slept. Periodically heading over to the campfire to relax for a bit. Checking on the meat...etc. I watched the sun rise over a stocked pond with rolling hills...cold beer in hand. It was one of my top 10 BBQ moments no doubt. As folks started to wake and the more involved part of the cook came underway it wore off a bit and I got to work. The food was good. People were happy, but that night my ### was EXHAUSTED. :lmao: That night was special. If I had to do it again it would probably be really cool too. If i had to do it 3-5x a week I'd likely grow to dread those early morning wake-ups. I know my GF would be pissed at me for turning in early and waking her up as I crawled out of the tent in the wee hours every morning. :) Anyways... I enjoy the debate as well. I respect the HELL out of Joe's BBQ acumen and dedication to the sprirt of the cool... and you know damn well I have a ton of respect for your chops as well Tipsy. Just throwing out my views for, perhaps, an alternate stance on this one small issue :)

Apples and oranges here IMO. I'm not talking about using premade ingredients made by someone else.. that is most certainly something that could affect the flavor. I'll repeat.. the ONLY thing a stoker does is control airflow to the fire. There is zero impact on flavor. Ingredients are the same. Meat is the same. Outcome is the same. The only variable in the entire process is whether a man or machine opens the vents a bit when the temps ran low, I do find it interesting that you took a position earlier in the thread where you advocated using premade/canned beans vs Tipsy's method of manually making his own beans. That seems to steand in stark contrast with the stance you're taking here. I guess I'm just curious about the difference. If you think canned beans are as good as manually prepared beans (debatable imo but I agree the difference doesn't warrant the time invested) and therefore the shortcut is justified, then why take such a hard line against a stoker where it's a comparable convenience factor with even less (zero) impact on the final product?

I'm talking apples to apples. Let's say someone comes out with a roux from a jar that 100 out of 100 people can't tell the difference from a home made roux. It's the Steve Jobs example of the circuit board having to look perfect. A beautiful circuit board in this case is indistinguishable from one that is not beautiful but still has every connection secure. The difference is in the people creating it. One is excellent and they know it. The other is not excellent but you can't tell the difference. That's been a foundation of the Steve Jobs approach. And I think it's real. It's a silly point probably to argue it over BBQ. But I think it has an effect on the bigger picture of the business. There are certainly businesses that fail that have fanatical attention to excellence and detail. But that kind of attention and soul is also a common thread in a lot of really successful businesses.

On the canned beans thing - it's a fair question. On anything like this, there is a line. Some will say you have to go "all the way" and control every part of the process from cutting the wood yourself to only using whole hog. Rodney Scott at Scott's BBQ is one of the hot BBQ guys now. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/dining/10United.html?pagewanted=all Short film here http://southernfoodthemovie.com/2010/03/10/cut-chop-cook/

I don't think you have to go that far. I think you draw the line at unassisted live fire. No laptops.

But I think it also speaks to the goals. Rodney Scott is a relatively small time business guy. He works his butt off and makes a decent living from his restaurant. He's also a rock star among people that really know BBQ. He goes to bed at night knowing he does what he does the way he does on his terms and it's some of the best in the world.

On the other hand is a guy like Dave Anderson of Famous Daves. He's incredibly successful as a businessman. But I don't know anyone that thinks his BBQ is the best in the world. But he makes a zillion times more money than Rodney Scott. Nothing wrong with either. I'd guess both likely admire the other. It just feels to me like a guy like Rodney Scott or Aaron Franklin from Austin is more the thing Tipsy has in mind.

For the sides, they are not as much a focus and I think canned beans is a compromise I would live with. I agree wholeheartedly that buying dried beans would be higher on the authenticity scale. But like buying wood that has been cut by someone else, I'm ok with making that compromise.

It's all about where you draw the line and what you're willing to compromise. And for me, hooking a laptop up to the BBQ pit is way too far up on the soulless scale.

J

I ate at Sweet Baby Ray's in Illinois last week. It's owned by the guy who invented the sauce of the same name. He sold the sauce but kept the restaurant naming rights and used the money to open a place called Sweet Baby Rays. It was good, but not great. Then again, I live in the 512 area code so the standards are awfully high.

As Joe mentioned earlier, New Orleans hasn't been a big BBQ market and most of the BBQ places here don't come across as what would pass as 'authentic' hardcore BBQ in other cities--they are either chain restaurants (which rarely excel here) or they do BBQ with a New Orleans spin. It would be kind of interesting to see if NO would take to a very authentic/traditional BBQ place. In New Orleans, the more "soul" a place has the better it does by far. It seems to me that if Tipsy would take the old-fashioned, hands-on approach that it would appeal to the few people who really knew BBQ and that word-of-mouth would eventually spread to the community and I could see a place like that quickly becoming 'the' place to go for BBQ.

I'm talking apples to apples. Let's say someone comes out with a roux from a jar that 100 out of 100 people can't tell the difference from a home made roux.
Again I have to respectfully disagree. In one instance you're talking about introducing a mass produced ingredient that is a key component of the final product. It's actually PART of the final product that people consume. I think a good BBQ analogy for this is using premade sauces or rubs. That, to me at least, is MUCH more apples to apples. For me, there is no way I'd use someone else's rub or sauce if I was attempting to build my own brand of BBQ... that is an actual ingredient/component of the final product....even if there are some good pre-made rubs/sauces out there. I don't know that there is a reasonable comparison with regards to non BBQ cooking as, again, you're simply talking about controlling airflow to a fire here.
On the canned beans thing - it's a fair question....For the sides, they are not as much a focus and I think canned beans is a compromise I would live with. I agree wholeheartedly that buying dried beans would be higher on the authenticity scale. But like buying wood that has been cut by someone else, I'm ok with making that compromise.
But why are the sides less important? When I go to Dante's Kitchen, the entrees are amazing, but so are the sides. I know that they scratch make each of them with the same care that they put into the entrees. Again, I use canned beans myself and tweak them... but I'm just seeing a disconnect between being okay with using pre-prepared ingredients for one of the restaurant's products, but then having an issue with simply automating airflow to the fire in another element (while still using an otherwise identical process).
I think you draw the line at unassisted live fire. No laptops...It's all about where you draw the line and what you're willing to compromise. And for me, hooking a laptop up to the BBQ pit is way too far up on the soulless scale.
For the record, you don't hook a laptop up to the pit. The stoker doesn't even need to be online. it's essentially a digital thermostat w/ pit/meat probes that tell a fan when to add air or reduce air. The web control factor, twitter factor... those are all bells and whistles for computer geeks like myself but for tipsy's purpose the core system would more than suffice. :) Anyways... again I have immense amounts of respect for your BBQ chops, I just enjoy the debate and am genuinely curious about how the "Soul" factor applies in certain situations but isn't as significant in others. Tis all good though. I still need to get up to Knoxville sometime soon and try some Smokin Joe's cue off the Big RC. :thumbup:

On the other hand is a guy like Dave Anderson of Famous Daves. He's incredibly successful as a businessman. But I don't know anyone that thinks his BBQ is the best in the world. But he makes a zillion times more money than Rodney Scott. Nothing wrong with either. I'd guess both likely admire the other. It just feels to me like a guy like Rodney Scott or Aaron Franklin from Austin is more the thing Tipsy has in mind.
Famous Daves is awesome. It's definitely the best BBQ that I've ever had. :thumbup:

Famous Daves is awesome. It's definitely the best BBQ that I've ever had. :thumbup:
And there you have it. :)J

:goodposting:

I'm talking apples to apples. Let's say someone comes out with a roux from a jar that 100 out of 100 people can't tell the difference from a home made roux.
Again I have to respectfully disagree. In one instance you're talking about introducing a mass produced ingredient that is a key component of the final product. It's actually PART of the final product that people consume. I think a good BBQ analogy for this is using premade sauces or rubs. That, to me at least, is MUCH more apples to apples. For me, there is no way I'd use someone else's rub or sauce if I was attempting to build my own brand of BBQ... that is an actual ingredient/component of the final product....even if there are some good pre-made rubs/sauces out there. I don't know that there is a reasonable comparison with regards to non BBQ cooking as, again, you're simply talking about controlling airflow to a fire here.
On the canned beans thing - it's a fair question....For the sides, they are not as much a focus and I think canned beans is a compromise I would live with. I agree wholeheartedly that buying dried beans would be higher on the authenticity scale. But like buying wood that has been cut by someone else, I'm ok with making that compromise.
But why are the sides less important? When I go to Dante's Kitchen, the entrees are amazing, but so are the sides. I know that they scratch make each of them with the same care that they put into the entrees. Again, I use canned beans myself and tweak them... but I'm just seeing a disconnect between being okay with using pre-prepared ingredients for one of the restaurant's products, but then having an issue with simply automating airflow to the fire in another element (while still using an otherwise identical process).
I think you draw the line at unassisted live fire. No laptops...It's all about where you draw the line and what you're willing to compromise. And for me, hooking a laptop up to the BBQ pit is way too far up on the soulless scale.
For the record, you don't hook a laptop up to the pit. The stoker doesn't even need to be online. it's essentially a digital thermostat w/ pit/meat probes that tell a fan when to add air or reduce air. The web control factor, twitter factor... those are all bells and whistles for computer geeks like myself but for tipsy's purpose the core system would more than suffice. :) Anyways... again I have immense amounts of respect for your BBQ chops, I just enjoy the debate and am genuinely curious about how the "Soul" factor applies in certain situations but isn't as significant in others. Tis all good though. I still need to get up to Knoxville sometime soon and try some Smokin Joe's cue off the Big RC. :thumbup:
That's cool. Disagreements are part of BBQ. :hifive:J

I only go to BBQ joints that don't have electricity. At all. Just wood, fire, meat, and you eat by torchlight. The way it's SUPPOSED to be.

I only go to BBQ joints that don't have electricity. At all. Just wood, fire, meat, and you eat by torchlight. The way it's SUPPOSED to be.
:rolleyes: Is that how they do it up in Greenwich Village or Sausalito or wherever you're from? You have to stalk and kill your own feral pig for it to be real 'Q', cityboy.

:lmao: Yes I actually did laugh out loud.I know Joe isn't talking about taking it that far. And I get the romance of the cook. But the romance wears thin when you are on your third overnight in as many days.

:goodposting:
Big fan of Bodacious BBQ here.

Users who are viewing this thread