What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (4 Viewers)

I'm going to break down the schedule I would have to keep if I wanted fresh brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken to be served everyday for an 1130 opening (which means it all needs to be done by 11 at the latest.)

Ribs = 5-6 hours

Chickens 3-4 hours

Brisket (just the flats, not with the tip) minimum of 7-8 hours

Pulled pork butts/shoulders minimum of 7-8 hours

Fire start up & preheat (meat coming to more reasonable temp out of fridge as well) = 1 hour.

Resting period for the bigger meats = 15 minutes

That alone puts me starting the fire @ 2 am at the latest every morning.

:unsure:

I'm going to break down the schedule I would have to keep if I wanted fresh brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken to be served everyday for an 1130 opening (which means it all needs to be done by 11 at the latest.)

Ribs = 5-6 hours

Chickens 3-4 hours

Fire start up & preheat (meat coming to more reasonable temp out of fridge as well) = 1 hour.

Hold up. You use a refrigerator? You some sort of suburban Yankee poser?

Ribs = 5-6 hours

Chickens 3-4 hours

I've been to the North once. Once. :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ribs = 5-6 hours

Chickens 3-4 hours

I've been to the North once. Once. :rolleyes: ;)
Check your PMs GB

Ribs = 5-6 hours

Chickens 3-4 hours

:goodposting: Gotta have a sailing vessel ship in 3-4 tons of ice a week, fresh cut from a frozen river in the Arctic, then kept in a stone-walled cold cellar 30-ish feet below ground (below the frost line) if you're going to do BBQ right.

Refrigerators are soulless.

I'm going to break down the schedule I would have to keep if I wanted fresh brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken to be served everyday for an 1130 opening (which means it all needs to be done by 11 at the latest.)Ribs = 5-6 hoursChickens 3-4 hoursBrisket (just the flats, not with the tip) minimum of 7-8 hoursPulled pork butts/shoulders minimum of 7-8 hoursFire start up & preheat (meat coming to more reasonable temp out of fridge as well) = 1 hour.Resting period for the bigger meats = 15 minutesThat alone puts me starting the fire @ 2 am at the latest every morning. :unsure:
Be careful not to cut it too close. IMHO a more reasonable schedule is to plan on a 2-4 hour resting period for the larger meats. If you foil/towel them and place in a cooler a butt will keep nicely for 3-4 hours before pulling. That way if things run long, you're good instead of jacking up temps and running around like a madman 10 mins before your doors open :) How long does the smoker allow for relatively maintenance-free operation? Ie... no adding wood, holds a pretty stable temp, etc? IF you could drop the brisket/shoulder on at 11pm or midnight and feel comfortable the smoker would hold till 4:30-5am when you needed to drop the ribs on, that would leave you a nice 5-6 hour window of sleep there. The shoulders/brisket would finish around 8-9am and you could easily hold them and then slice/pull them right before serving. Well, I ASSUME brisket would hold pretty well anyways. I know pork will.

I'm going to break down the schedule I would have to keep if I wanted fresh brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken to be served everyday for an 1130 opening (which means it all needs to be done by 11 at the latest.)Ribs = 5-6 hoursChickens 3-4 hoursBrisket (just the flats, not with the tip) minimum of 7-8 hoursPulled pork butts/shoulders minimum of 7-8 hoursFire start up & preheat (meat coming to more reasonable temp out of fridge as well) = 1 hour.Resting period for the bigger meats = 15 minutesThat alone puts me starting the fire @ 2 am at the latest every morning. :unsure:
Be careful not to cut it too close. IMHO a more reasonable schedule is to plan on a 2-4 hour resting period for the larger meats. If you foil/towel them and place in a cooler a butt will keep nicely for 3-4 hours before pulling. That way if things run long, you're good instead of jacking up temps and running around like a madman 10 mins before your doors open :) How long does the smoker allow for relatively maintenance-free operation? Ie... no adding wood, holds a pretty stable temp, etc? IF you could drop the brisket/shoulder on at 11pm or midnight and feel comfortable the smoker would hold till 4:30-5am when you needed to drop the ribs on, that would leave you a nice 5-6 hour window of sleep there. The shoulders/brisket would finish around 8-9am and you could easily hold them and then slice/pull them right before serving. Well, I ASSUME brisket would hold pretty well anyways. I know pork will.
Call me an idiot here, but don't I need to add a log every hour? Am I missing something? I only sleep in 2 - 3 hour naps anyway these days /thankstinybladder / .

Call me an idiot here, but don't I need to add a log every hour? Am I missing something? I only sleep in 2 - 3 hour naps anyway these days /thankstinybladder / .
It depends on the cooker entirely. I've never cooked with a pit like yours but I know my small Weber Smoky Mountain will chug along for 8-12 hours on a single load of fuel. The last large offset pit I cooked on would go for a good several hours if you got a good fire going, but it had a pretty large firebox. Not sure about your Lang. How many cooks have you got under your belt on it? Try working on loading the box up a bit and seeing how long she'll go on a burndown. Test how it affects your temps (chart em if you want) and see how you can stretch out certain gaps and not affect smoke/temp levels.

I agree with Joe that anything short of tending the fire is cheating. And I am trying not to cut corners. BUT...

If I have to tend a fire M-F AND work those shifts (only 3 hours long for lunch...that is way cool) AND have time with my family while they are awayke....Not sustainable. There has to be a be a better way.

If a fire can be tended by a robot for 80% of the cooking time...then why the heck would I not do that if my food was not compromised? I want to be authentic, but I want to have some kind of life outside the world of smoking meat and trying to sleep.

I will also be hiring some to help. Rotating cooking with two or three of us would be much easier to deal with. Once the meat is on, tending a fire is sort of brainless. I cat nap well. This could be the solution I am looking for. :banned: If I can just coordinate my nights of being kicked out of bed for something or other..... ;)

It depends on the cooker entirely. I've never cooked with a pit like yours but I know my small Weber Smoky Mountain will chug along for 8-12 hours on a single load of fuel. The last large offset pit I cooked on would go for a good several hours if you got a good fire going, but it had a pretty large firebox. Not sure about your Lang. How many cooks have you got under your belt on it? Try working on loading the box up a bit and seeing how long she'll go on a burndown. Test how it affects your temps (chart em if you want) and see how you can stretch out certain gaps and not affect smoke/temp levels.
The chamber is huge. But if I stuff it full of wood...it will still all burn off and raise the temp tremendously won't it? I need a "fire" to achieve proper smoke...not a smoldering pile of ash and wood smoking like a building fire.

The chamber is huge. But if I stuff it full of wood...it will still all burn off and raise the temp tremendously won't it? I need a "fire" to achieve proper smoke...not a smoldering pile of ash and wood smoking like a building fire.
Sorry yeah you don't want to pack it too full, and you don't want smoldering ashes (I assume the lang has a method for clearing ashes on longer cooks, or has enough room below the fire grate for ash to accumulate far enough below the wood to still allow for good airflow. If you can have a good bit of fuel, but limit airflow, you can maintain a slower burn and draw out your cook times at that 225-275 range off a single load. At least I've been able to achieve that with every cooker I've worked with (with a little practice). I would contact Lang and ask them for tips... or seek out a forum where they have a good amount of folks who cook on langs.

Today is just for testing my temp/fire/smoke control. Getting over an hour a log with two of four dampers closed. Temp & smoke are perfect....and have been for two hours now. I can do this without a robot. Eventually I will have to hire help so we can alternate cooking nights.

Back to the beans: I am cooking both batches tomorrow...the from scratch & the canned made better methods. I am doubtful my homemade beans will win the taste competition between the two....this is going to be yet another big choice for me. My ego wants my beans, but I am business driven too and if i can please more folks with the canned beans I may have too. I've learned to only use the best of the best ingredients while at Dante's. But I also want to be successful and please the most people.

:confused:

Today is just for testing my temp/fire/smoke control. Getting over an hour a log with two of four dampers closed. Temp & smoke are perfect....and have been for two hours now. I can do this without a robot. Eventually I will have to hire help so we can alternate cooking nights. Back to the beans: I am cooking both batches tomorrow...the from scratch & the canned made better methods. I am doubtful my homemade beans will win the taste competition between the two....this is going to be yet another big choice for me. My ego wants my beans, but I am business driven too and if i can please more folks with the canned beans I may have too. I've learned to only use the best of the best ingredients while at Dante's. But I also want to be successful and please the most people. :confused:
Maybe a dumb question here, but what do the canned beans have that you can't do form scratch? I guess I'm asking, what are the "flavors" that the canned beans are soaking in?

Today is just for testing my temp/fire/smoke control. Getting over an hour a log with two of four dampers closed. Temp & smoke are perfect....and have been for two hours now. I can do this without a robot. Eventually I will have to hire help so we can alternate cooking nights. Back to the beans: I am cooking both batches tomorrow...the from scratch & the canned made better methods. I am doubtful my homemade beans will win the taste competition between the two....this is going to be yet another big choice for me. My ego wants my beans, but I am business driven too and if i can please more folks with the canned beans I may have too. I've learned to only use the best of the best ingredients while at Dante's. But I also want to be successful and please the most people. :confused:
Maybe a dumb question here, but what do the canned beans have that you can't do form scratch? I guess I'm asking, what are the "flavors" that the canned beans are soaking in?
My guess would be the reduced cook time is the biggest factor. Raw beans have to be cooked far longer than anything you do with canned.

My guess would be the reduced cook time is the biggest factor. Raw beans have to be cooked far longer than anything you do with canned.
Bingo. Baked beans out of a can that have been dropped into a smoker and tweaked (adding pork, seasonings, etc) are usually as good or better than most scratch made beans.... and scratch made beans take a LONG time. Just not really practical with regards to time spent unless Tipsy has some serious tricks up his sleeve (which honestly would not surprise me).

Bingo. Baked beans out of a can that have been dropped into a smoker and tweaked (adding pork, seasonings, etc) are usually as good or better than most scratch made beans.... and scratch made beans take a LONG time. Just not really practical with regards to time spent unless Tipsy has some serious tricks up his sleeve (which honestly would not surprise me).
Gotcha, so I guess the questions for Tipsy to asnwer are:1. Do the other BBQ places make beans from scratch or cans?2. Will people care if they're from a canned base?3. Is there something distinguisable that you can add to the canned version to "make it your own?"I know personally, as long as they taste good; I could really care less.

I do tweaked baked beans out of the can and people love them. But I do work them over pretty good.

Serious question...and I'm not trying to be a jerk here...but how are canned beans kosher but an automatic pit control thingy is like the designated hitter of BBQ?

Serious question...and I'm not trying to be a jerk here...but how are canned beans kosher but an automatic pit control thingy is like the designated hitter of BBQ?
Joe feels it removes the soul from the operation. I know old guys who would think buying a smoker instead of building it yourself removes the soul. Heck even using a thermometer would make them turn their nose up. If you can't tell by touching the smoker if it's too hot or not you should let someone else cook. All about where one decides to draw the line.

Joe feels it removes the soul from the operation. I know old guys who would think buying a smoker instead of building it yourself removes the soul. Heck even using a thermometer would make them turn their nose up. If you can't tell by touching the smoker if it's too hot or not you should let someone else cook. All about where one decides to draw the line.
Exactly. Who needs a smoker, anyway?http://www.try2cook.com/blog/2009/11/argentine-asado/

I do tweaked baked beans out of the can and people love them. But I do work them over pretty good.
Gotcha...I too tweak them and I love the recipe. Don't think people will really care as long as the taste it there.

'Tiger Fan said:
'NCCommish said:
'[icon] said:
'NCCommish said:
'Tiger Fan said:
Gotcha...I too tweak them and I love the recipe. Don't think people will really care as long as the taste it there.
Yeah purity is really for the guys behind the curtain. The people out front only care if it tastes good.

I've skimmed the thread on my phone at work just now. The commercial BBQ forum at. The smoke ring website has a wealth of info. I believe lots of folks use ole hickory pits, set them at 10 or 11 pm and come in the next day and pork/brisket is done or close to it. There's also good discussion on holding techniques for food.

I've got a few word documents on holding techniques for ribs; I've read that lots of places stagger their rib cooks so they're ready on the half hr. Pappys in st louis uses an ole hickory (on a trailer) and they hand out rib samples when you wait in line (probably when a staggered rib cook is done). I've been reading the commercial forum there for a good 6-8 months, as I want to open a BBQ place of my own as well. Good luck. Read shotgun pete's thread about his place in Columbia, MO if you need any additional inspiration.

'NCCommish said:
'Sconch said:
:shrug: I would think that letting somebody else in some factory in Lubbock cook your beans for you would be over the line too.

'NCCommish said:
'Sconch said:
:goodposting: Exactly. And I fully admit it's easy for me to armchair QB and say I wouldn't do this or that when I'm not in the thick of actually running a real restaurant. What I wrote is just my opinion. And certainly subject to change one day.

J

I've skimmed the thread on my phone at work just now. The commercial BBQ forum at. The smoke ring website has a wealth of info. I believe lots of folks use ole hickory pits, set them at 10 or 11 pm and come in the next day and pork/brisket is done or close to it. There's also good discussion on holding techniques for food. I've got a few word documents on holding techniques for ribs; I've read that lots of places stagger their rib cooks so they're ready on the half hr. Pappys in st louis uses an ole hickory (on a trailer) and they hand out rib samples when you wait in line (probably when a staggered rib cook is done). I've been reading the commercial forum there for a good 6-8 months, as I want to open a BBQ place of my own as well. Good luck. Read shotgun pete's thread about his place in Columbia, MO if you need any additional inspiration.
Can you give the links to the info you're talking about on holding techniques? This is big hurdle clearly for lots of people that want to do lunch.Thanks.J

Tipsy, One thing to consider too. Get with who you might know in the food inspection business there and run by this idea:

Put the long cook stuff on about 3 pm. Cook until done about 11 pm. Wrap in foil and leave in pit or in cambro or whatever you have that will safely keep them about 145 over night.

Then pull about 10:30 am the next day prior to lunch. It's almost like cooking for 19 hours. But really just the first 8 are truly "cooking" the meat. The rest is holding.

Would that fly health department wise? Or is that too long at 145?

J

I'll be experimenting. And hot stuff has to be held at a higher temp, but it is set WAY to high (160+).

I just reheated a week old Berkshire butt. It was freaking awesome. It doesn't make any sense...unless every bit of restaurant bbq i have ever eaten has been some sort of leftover. Then, not only am I already nailing that, I will rule this city with good smokey meat done...at least the side not near the Joint in the bywater...i like them a lot and I know there is room for both of us. :banned:

hey Tiger Fan...wanna come be on the bean deciding committee tomorrow night? I'll have ribs to dip in both types.

On another note...I won't be the GM at Dante's by the end of this year (ie...next month :shock: ) After Chef & I talked today, I accepted that he has to move on relatively soon and get one of my assistants to step up to my job. I started a ball rolling that picked up speed 1000% faster than I was expecting. I am scared out of my gourd right now.

And....I think 200 people may show up next week for the Tuesday Pop Up. I'm pretty freaked about that too. :loco:

And now that my normal pay checks of 10 years are going away...my wife is realizing she is terrified too.

Yet...this is pretty fun....at least I am enjoying it.

'NCCommish said:
'Sconch said:
:goodposting: Exactly. And I fully admit it's easy for me to armchair QB and say I wouldn't do this or that when I'm not in the thick of actually running a real restaurant. What I wrote is just my opinion. And certainly subject to change one day.

J
:thumbup:

I'll be experimenting. And hot stuff has to be held at a higher temp, but it is set WAY to high (160+). I just reheated a week old Berkshire butt. It was freaking awesome. It doesn't make any sense...unless every bit of restaurant bbq i have ever eaten has been some sort of leftover. Then, not only am I already nailing that, I will rule this city with good smokey meat done...at least the side not near the Joint in the bywater...i like them a lot and I know there is room for both of us. :banned:
I'd say you've had a lot of leftover. J

hey Tiger Fan...wanna come be on the bean deciding committee tomorrow night? I'll have ribs to dip in both types.On another note...I won't be the GM at Dante's by the end of this year (ie...next month :shock: ) After Chef & I talked today, I accepted that he has to move on relatively soon and get one of my assistants to step up to my job. I started a ball rolling that picked up speed 1000% faster than I was expecting. I am scared out of my gourd right now.And....I think 200 people may show up next week for the Tuesday Pop Up. I'm pretty freaked about that too. :loco: And now that my normal pay checks of 10 years are going away...my wife is realizing she is terrified too. Yet...this is pretty fun....at least I am enjoying it.
What time tomorrow? Going out of town on Thursday, so might be a tough swing. Either way, I've got next Tuesday penciled in at lunch time :thumbup:

hey Tiger Fan...wanna come be on the bean deciding committee tomorrow night? I'll have ribs to dip in both types.On another note...I won't be the GM at Dante's by the end of this year (ie...next month :shock: ) After Chef & I talked today, I accepted that he has to move on relatively soon and get one of my assistants to step up to my job. I started a ball rolling that picked up speed 1000% faster than I was expecting. I am scared out of my gourd right now.And....I think 200 people may show up next week for the Tuesday Pop Up. I'm pretty freaked about that too. :loco: And now that my normal pay checks of 10 years are going away...my wife is realizing she is terrified too. Yet...this is pretty fun....at least I am enjoying it.
What time tomorrow? Going out of town on Thursday, so might be a tough swing. Either way, I've got next Tuesday penciled in at lunch time :thumbup:
Not till about 8 tomorrow. And next tuesday is just the first dinner. M-F lunch isn't until January

Not till about 8 tomorrow. And next tuesday is just the first dinner. M-F lunch isn't until January
OK. Will talk to Mrs. TF about tomorrow. Might be able to swing that.

I'll be experimenting. And hot stuff has to be held at a higher temp, but it is set WAY to high (160+). I just reheated a week old Berkshire butt. It was freaking awesome. It doesn't make any sense...unless every bit of restaurant bbq i have ever eaten has been some sort of leftover. Then, not only am I already nailing that, I will rule this city with good smokey meat done...at least the side not near the Joint in the bywater...i like them a lot and I know there is room for both of us. :banned:
I'd say you've had a lot of leftover. J
Yep

Mostly lurk here, but I will be in New Orleans for the first time for the final four. Was going to try to get the group to go to Dante's but now we might have to hit up McClure's. Or both. :banned:

and the sides for tonight to go with the two types of beans....

brisket

chicken legs

pulled pork

ribs

you don't win friends with salad. :banned:

:eek: So no Tipsy for our Sunday Brunch at Dante's in early December?! For selfish reasons (getting to bull#### with ya) that's horrible news! :lmao: That said I am REALLY F'n happy for ya that this is all coming together so smoothly thus far. Kinda bummed that we won't get to try your grub. NEXT TIME!

I've skimmed the thread on my phone at work just now. The commercial BBQ forum at. The smoke ring website has a wealth of info. I believe lots of folks use ole hickory pits, set them at 10 or 11 pm and come in the next day and pork/brisket is done or close to it. There's also good discussion on holding techniques for food. I've got a few word documents on holding techniques for ribs; I've read that lots of places stagger their rib cooks so they're ready on the half hr. Pappys in st louis uses an ole hickory (on a trailer) and they hand out rib samples when you wait in line (probably when a staggered rib cook is done). I've been reading the commercial forum there for a good 6-8 months, as I want to open a BBQ place of my own as well. Good luck. Read shotgun pete's thread about his place in Columbia, MO if you need any additional inspiration.
:goodposting: Smoke ring and BBQ Brethren are both great resources.

Tipsy: Freaking out in this case = living!! You have a great opportunity at hand, and will most likely look back at this decision as one that changed both yours, and your family's in an amazingly awesome way. I can't wait for the opportunity to get to your new place and experience it (I'm in College Station, TX). Regarding leftovers. I guarantee you've had quite a bit more than you could imagine. Our best BBQ place in town (IMHO) cooks lunch briskit the day/night before. You also don't need to tend your fire all night long if you go that route. Knowing your pit, and how much the temp drops over time including its effect on your meat will teach you how long it can go without your presence. Our cook-off team's pit will typically only lose 7-10 degrees when unattended from 2:00 am to 6 am (our usual sleep time). Best of luck with this incredible venture.

'Megla said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
chicken legs
Interesting, why no wings or white meat choice?
Not sure why for Tipsy but for me, legs and thighs are the perfect intersection of value and taste. The dark meat holds up great to smoke and is more forgiving if heat gets too high. It also holds much better in my opinion. I love wings but they're ridiculously overpriced. Just bought a big pack of thighs this morning at Sams for .99 per pound. Wings way more. J

3 good links on holding techniques (I've read lots and saved these):http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37676 http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17356 http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12216Posting from my phone since FFA is blocked at work, so I apologize if links are bad, it's difficult to maneuver copies/pastes/etc on an iPhone
Thanks.J

Users who are viewing this thread