What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (5 Viewers)

This team is much more fun to watch than last year's team.
No kidding. I had to force myself to watch last year. Now, I am excited to watch the Cubs despite the fact that I know they probably are not going to score 3 runs. So far, Sveum is looking like a tremendous hire.I have a question. Is it just me or does Castro look like he is far more upset this year when he screws up in the field and at the plate?
Haven't noticed the Castro thing, but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Sveum brought the kid gloves to the North Side, so I'm guessing when Castro makes a bad play, he knows he's going to hear about it later.
He is reacting strongly on the field but I can't remember if I saw him do that in the past.
was usually too distracted to notice he messed up last year.

Cardenas getting the start at 2B tonight.
Friend of mine growing up we played little league ball on the same team for probably 4-5 years. Any thoughts on how hes looked overall? I know hes been hitless but havent been able to see the games at all in Florida so just wondering.

Cardenas getting the start at 2B tonight.
Friend of mine growing up we played little league ball on the same team for probably 4-5 years. Any thoughts on how hes looked overall? I know hes been hitless but havent been able to see the games at all in Florida so just wondering.
He has looked nervous at the plate so far. From what I know, he is a much more patient hitter than he has shown so far in those few at bats.

Cubs fans>hi

Is James Russell going to get save opportunities in the near-term, will they only use Dolsi, or is it kind of fluid? I'm desperate for saves right now and am starting Russell so I'm just wondering if this guy has any short-term value. TIA.

Cubs fans>hiIs James Russell going to get save opportunities in the near-term, will they only use Dolsi, or is it kind of fluid? I'm desperate for saves right now and am starting Russell so I'm just wondering if this guy has any short-term value. TIA.
Russell was said to be in the mix, but he's yet to get a chance.Looks like Dolis is the guy to own, at least in the short term.Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood didn't end up getting some chances........this situation screams stay away.

Cubs fans>hi

Is James Russell going to get save opportunities in the near-term, will they only use Dolsi, or is it kind of fluid? I'm desperate for saves right now and am starting Russell so I'm just wondering if this guy has any short-term value. TIA.
Russell was said to be in the mix, but he's yet to get a chance.Looks like Dolis is the guy to own, at least in the short term.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood didn't end up getting some chances........this situation screams stay away.
Plus the fans love free gloves and hats.

Cubs fans>hiIs James Russell going to get save opportunities in the near-term, will they only use Dolsi, or is it kind of fluid? I'm desperate for saves right now and am starting Russell so I'm just wondering if this guy has any short-term value. TIA.
Russell was said to be in the mix, but he's yet to get a chance.Looks like Dolis is the guy to own, at least in the short term.Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood didn't end up getting some chances........this situation screams stay away.
Well based on what just happened, I'm gonna hold. I really needed that win too, ####. :kicksrock:

Another fine start from Samardjza. Wish he could have gotten the win, but I understand why they took him out after five.

LaHair better figure out how to lay off breaking balls down and in. Brewers pretty much shut him down with that pitch, so I suspect he's about to see it a lot more.

Ugh. Marmol.Remember when this guy could just toy with batters? Doesn't seem like that long ago.
He's always been wild. It's an adventure whether or not he'll be effectively wild enough to get the job done or just blow it entirely. Looking like the latter today.
Not always wild, but often wild. He's posted a WHIP below 1.20 thrice. Even his career 1.29 WHIP isn't horrible.I think the problem these days is he doesn't have the kind of fastball he can fall back on. He's throwing almost all sliders. And he's just not going to throw that slider for strikes with any consistency. Batters know it, and they're just waiting him out. As I type this he walks in a run.
I think he DOES have the kind of fastball he can fall back on, but he doesn't believe that and sometimes that's more important. He quit throwing it when pretty much nobody was hitting it and he wasn't throwing his other pitches for strikes. I don't get it.
This is because he's a converted position player who just throws the ball and has never and will never know HOW to pitch.
He struck out 138 guys in only 78 innings just throwing the ball.
Yes that is correct.

Apparently, Svuem convinced Soriano to use a lighter bat a couple weeks ago.

Alfonso Soriano, who remains homerless and is hitting just .250/.283/.304, has dropped down a bat size. Manager Dale Sveum, who joked that Soriano was swinging a “big ol’ log,” finally convinced Soriano to at least take an ounce off his bat, which is a start. Good news, right? Well, he made the switch two weeks ago, and he’s hitting an improved (but still yawn-inducing) .275/.341/.400 over that stretch. The coaching staff would like to see Soriano’s bat shrink even more.

Why is Sveum so bunt happy? There is almost no situation where Ian Stewart or Starlin Castro should be bunting, period. And when there are runners on 1st and 2nd, it is a particular bad decision to bunt with a non bunter.

Why is Sveum so bunt happy? There is almost no situation where Ian Stewart or Starlin Castro should be bunting, period. And when there are runners on 1st and 2nd, it is a particular bad decision to bunt with a non bunter.
I'm 1/2 way with you here. Bunting Castro last night was moronic. The move got mocked by the Cardinals announcers for it and rightfully so. Anything you can do to take the bat our of Ian Stewart's hands is a good thing.

I'm 1/2 way with you here. Bunting Castro last night was moronic. The move got mocked by the Cardinals announcers for it and rightfully so. Anything you can do to take the bat our of Ian Stewart's hands is a good thing.
Watching the Cubs huh? Not a big fan of giving outs away

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
He apparently hasn't been watching the Cubs much. Stewart has probably put the barrel on the ball more than any Cub other than LaHair. He has been very unlucky so far.

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
He apparently hasn't been watching the Cubs much. Stewart has probably put the barrel on the ball more than any Cub other than LaHair. He has been very unlucky so far.
I agree with this. Stewart has looked OK at the plate. I'm not sure what his BABIP is, but it does seem like he's been hitting the ball better than his average shows.

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
I agree with this. Stewart has looked OK at the plate. I'm not sure what his BABIP is, but it does seem like he's been hitting the ball better than his average shows.
.230 BABIP

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
.200 hitter with a GB rate north of 50%! By all means, let him swing away.

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
Continue to speak of things of which you have no clue.

'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
:lmao:Please tell me what I should know then. He's a hack and an awful professional baseball player who hasn't had an OPS over .785 in the last 3 years in spite of playing 95% of his home games in Coors.If he wasn't wearing Cubbie Blue, you probably would be asking 'he's still in the bigs?' when his name was brought up.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'Wrigley said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'boubucarow said:
:lmao: Please tell me what I should know then. He's a hack and an awful professional baseball player who hasn't had an OPS over .785 in the last 3 years in spite of playing 95% of his home games in Coors.

If he wasn't wearing Cubbie Blue, you probably would be asking 'he's still in the bigs?' when his name was brought up.
Ian Stewart currently has a 231 BABIP when his XBABIP based on his line drive, fly ball, groundout rates, etc... is around 337. In his two full seasons and career his BABIP was 12-20 less than his XBABIP. So let's say he should have a BABIP of 321 so far and let's assume for now that every extra hit would only be a single. What would his slash look like?271/341/426

Throw in a few doubles on his extra 8 base hits and he should be approaching a 800 OPS. Nothing tremendous but not the wasteland his surface numbers present.

Since you would not take my opinion seriously based on watching every Ian Stewart at bat this year. Here are the numbers that say he is very unlucky so far this season. It is true that he isn't hitting the fly balls that a middle of the lineup player should hit. But his likelihood to get a hit does increase due to the lack of fly ball so far.

Who knows what type of player he will look like at the end of the year? All I know is that he has been one of the Cubs three best bat on ball hitters so far this season and he doesn't have a sacrifice hit in his career. So far he has the lowest K rate of his career by nearly 5%. Is it a mirage or has his work with Rudy initiated a process that will make him a better overall hitter? Can he marriage the higher contact rate with a higher fly ball rate? I don't know but bunting with him with runners on 1st and 2nd was a bad gamble for Sveum.

Ian Stewart currently has a 231 BABIP when his XBABIP based on his line drive, fly ball, groundout rates, etc... is around 337. In his two full seasons and career his BABIP was 12-20 less than his XBABIP. So let's say he should have a BABIP of 321 so far and let's assume for now that every extra hit would only be a single. What would his slash look like?

271/341/426

Throw in a few doubles on his extra 8 base hits and he should be approaching a 800 OPS. Nothing tremendous but not the wasteland his surface numbers present.

Since you would not take my opinion seriously based on watching every Ian Stewart at bat this year. Here are the numbers that say he is very unlucky so far this season. It is true that he isn't hitting the fly balls that a middle of the lineup player should hit. But his likelihood to get a hit does increase due to the lack of fly ball so far.

Who knows what type of player he will look like at the end of the year? All I know is that he has been one of the Cubs three best bat on ball hitters so far this season and he doesn't have a sacrifice hit in his career. So far he has the lowest K rate of his career by nearly 5%. Is it a mirage or has his work with Rudy initiated a process that will make him a better overall hitter? Can he marriage the higher contact rate with a higher fly ball rate? I don't know but bunting with him with runners on 1st and 2nd was a bad gamble for Sveum.
When do we stop caring about lucky/unlucky and all of them there cybermetrics (Sveum's word, not mine)?

We're going on 8 consecutive months of him either being in AAA or being, at best, a .200 hitter. This is someone you take the bat out of the hands of, even if he's never laid down a bunt in his life, when the game dictates the need.

Why? Because bunting and funds are what they have preached since day one of spring training. And if he can't hit over .200, and can't lay down a bunt in a situation that screams for it, maybe he should be finding another line of work.

Ian Stewart currently has a 231 BABIP when his XBABIP based on his line drive, fly ball, groundout rates, etc... is around 337. In his two full seasons and career his BABIP was 12-20 less than his XBABIP. So let's say he should have a BABIP of 321 so far and let's assume for now that every extra hit would only be a single. What would his slash look like?

271/341/426

When do we stop caring about lucky/unlucky and all of them there cybermetrics (Sveum's word, not mine)?

We're going on 8 consecutive months of him either being in AAA or being, at best, a .200 hitter. This is someone you take the bat out of the hands of, even if he's never laid down a bunt in his life, when the game dictates the need.

Why? Because bunting and funds are what they have preached since day one of spring training. And if he can't hit over .200, and can't lay down a bunt in a situation that screams for it, maybe he should be finding another line of work.
Shouldn't you be off somewhere wringing your hands about Gordon Beckham?

271/341/426

Shouldn't you be off somewhere wringing your hands about Gordon Beckham?
Why? I understand a lost cause when I see one. I'm just trying to help others do the same thing.

271/341/426

We are looking at them because you won't take my word for it that Stewart has been a good hitter this year. My take was formed without looking at any numbers. Stewart has hit the ball hard more often than any Cub other than LaHair and has hit them right to people a lot. The advanced numbers were just evidence I found after the fact. The problem is that you don't understand that Stewart, if only by the way he has swung the bat this season, was a good option (for the Cubs in particular) to drive in a run from 2nd.

For the record, I was against both bunts we have talked about the second I saw the batters square. Using more statistics, dropping a successful sac bunt in that situation decreasing your "expected" runs in that inning. If you want only 1 run, a successful bunt seems to slightly increase your chances. However, the chance of scoring 1 run goes down more significantly if he doesn't execute properly. So, Stewart would have to be a good choice to execute a bunt and also be a worse hitter then the players following him. Neither was true. Throw in that the Cubs backup catcher (who runs as such) was at 2nd base on the play. I don't see how it was a good idea and don't see how you have already decided what Stewart is this season based on a small injury riddled sample size from last year and a small unlucky sample this year.

Now can you please tell me that Beckham has just been unlucky and he really is putting good wood on the ball consistently. I need him to hit.

Ricketts' anti-Obama campaign could cripple plan to rebuild Wrigley

May 17, 2012

Did the Ricketts family just knee-cap its own plan to rebuild Wrigley Field with a healthy dose of Chicago taxpayer cash?

My phone has been ringing with just that question this morning in the wake of a stunning New York Times story about how a new super PAC headed by family patriarch Joe Ricketts is pondering a big, especially nasty ad campaign against President Barack Obama this fall.

Among options being weighed, according to the story, is seeking to revive the Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy of 2008, specifically by linking the president to incendiary, racially tinged comments Rev. Wright made.

Mr. Obama years ago condemned the remarks by his former pastor. But the ad campaign would make the world "understand his influence on Barack Obama for the first time in a big, attention-arresting way," the story says.

The Chicago angle on this is that Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Mr. Obama's former chief of staff, has been trying to put together a deal for the city to put $100 million or more in tax incentives into a Wrigley rebuild.

Now, Joe Ricketts' political support for conservative causes is no secret. And his children, particularly son Tom Ricketts, run the team day to day.

Beyond that, another of Joe Ricketts' kids, daughter Laura Ricketts, is a lesbian activist and major fund-raiser for Mr. Obama.

Still, it's not unfair to ask whether money the city would ship the Cubs would free up family cash to trash Mr. Obama. At a bare minimum, the timing is very, very, very awkward.

I've got lots of calls out seeking reaction. But at this writing, Team Ricketts has not done itself any favors.

Read more: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120517/BLOGS02/120519836/ricketts-anti-obama-campaign-could-cripple-plan-to-rebuild-wrigley#ixzz1v8yAWjIr

Stay on top of Chicago business with our free daily e-newsletters

Kerry Wood to retire Friday. :sadbanana:
At least he retired where he wanted. He represents so many good and bad memories for Cubs fans. All of the promise and all of the dissapointment that created a fan base with more expectations. I am sure we all wish him well especially due to his charity endeavors. There is some good news. Robert Whitenack could have been on his way to Wrigley last year before TJ surgery ended his season in June. He has thrown 22 innings in Arizona and should be in the full season minors soon. He showed a hard sinker that lived in the low 90's, a slider, and good change up last year. He has good numbers in Arizona.

WHAT THE ####!!!!!Marty Foster should be fired
Little more info for those that aren't watching?
DeJesus was trying to stretch a single into a double. Beckham is a little aggressive with the tag, having his momentum knock a safe DeJesus off the bag(kind of like a tackle)......getting a out callSveum was tossed arguing the call.
Man, these umps have been brutal this year. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread