Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ministry of Pain

Chuck Todd is not a college graduate

63 posts in this topic

Wasn't either Peter Jennings or Alex Trebek a HS dropout?

I think you're right and it's a good point but they were from a different era where people would sometimes go learn a craft or skill over college. These days you almost need a 4 year degree just to wait tables. That commercial he runs on MSNBC, I was thinking who put this together, some high school kid? Well, I discovered the answer to that question. You would think someone over at NBC, MSNBC, at some point they would tell him that he needs to go to night school, something but he can't advance as far as he wants until he at least has a degree in journalism. I think he's a bumbling idiot most of the time so to learn this did not surprise me as much as it explained things IMO.

I think you're right and it's a good point but they were from a different era where people would sometimes go learn a craft or skill over college. These days you almost need a 4 year degree just to wait tables. That commercial he runs on MSNBC, I was thinking who put this together, some high school kid? Well, I discovered the answer to that question. You would think someone over at NBC, MSNBC, at some point they would tell him that he needs to go to night school, something but he can't advance as far as he wants until he at least has a degree in journalism. I think he's a bumbling idiot most of the time so to learn this did not surprise me as much as it explained things IMO.
Because people without 4 year degrees are bumbling idiots?

You would think someone over at NBC, MSNBC, at some point they would tell him that he needs to go to night school, something but he can't advance as far as he wants until he at least has a degree in journalism.

Yeah, it would really suck to be stuck in a dead-end, no-name job like Chief White House Correspondent for a major network.

No NCC, he just always seemed to not be qualified IMO. When I did some research and discovered this it sort of made sense. He really doesn't have a formal education and yet he is sitting there as a political pundit and shaping views of the audience and the country.

You would think someone over at NBC, MSNBC, at some point they would tell him that he needs to go to night school, something but he can't advance as far as he wants until he at least has a degree in journalism.

Yeah, it would really suck to be stuck in a dead-end, no-name job like Chief White House Correspondent for a major network.
Before they gave him the keys to the city was my point. Maybe there is hope for folks without degrees and can become President. We always are interested in what college the Presidents went to or types of degrees they have achieved.

No NCC, he just always seemed to not be qualified IMO. When I did some research and discovered this it sort of made sense. He really doesn't have a formal education and yet he is sitting there as a political pundit and shaping views of the audience and the country.
Well I'm not a fan but as far as I can tell college degrees aren't doing much for the talking head class in this country as a group. He's no worse than George Will for example. Lots of big words and not a damn thing to say.

It's still cool to say Chuck Todd though. :thumbup:

You seem to be operating under a mistaken idea, MoP.

We use degrees as a signaling mechanism. If we don't want to spend a whole lot of time evaluating someone for ourselves, we can find out how much education they've received and where it's from. That gives us a basic, general idea of what we can expect out of talking to them. But there's variations from the norm in both directions. You can have a genius who only ever did community college or complete dunces who graduated from Harvard. There's some things, like say engineering, where education gives us job-critical skills and other jobs, like say journalism, where it may teach and give us context on what we end up covering. Its importance is on a spectrum, not a binary thing.

If you don't like Chuck Todd, that's fine. But my opinion of him as a general political pundit doesn't really shift by whether or not he finished college especially given the content of what he generally covers: political scoreboard stuff, mostly... who's up, who's down, who's rising. The stuff he does with some regularity where formal training is certainly something of value is in forecasting outcomes but for those, I don't think he crunches the numbers himself. He has some stats guy in the back room doing it for him. So overall, this just seems like a weird thread.

That's to be expected from a man with two first names.

His parents failed worse than parents who let their daughters become strippers IMO.

He did go to GW, though he did not graduate. I think he was just one or two courses short of graduating. So, he has a formal education, just not the degree.

Neither did you for the first 30whatever years of your life, you judgemental #####.

Neither did you for the first 30whatever years of your life, you judgemental #####.

:lmao:

That's to be expected from a man with two first names.

And a University of Miami fan

No, just Chuck Todd.

I think you're right and it's a good point but they were from a different era where people would sometimes go learn a craft or skill over college. These days you almost need a 4 year degree just to wait tables. That commercial he runs on MSNBC, I was thinking who put this together, some high school kid? Well, I discovered the answer to that question.

You would think someone over at NBC, MSNBC, at some point they would tell him that he needs to go to night school, something but he can't advance as far as he wants until he at least has a degree in journalism. I think he's a bumbling idiot most of the time so to learn this did not surprise me as much as it explained things IMO.

Isn't the average educational achievement of Americans a high school diploma?

I have an undergrad and grad degree from a top 25 school and it was really just a resume builder during my early professional years. Almost all of the skills I use on the job I learned on the job or through much more focused independent study in recent years. College was the most fun 5 years of my life, but hardly necessary for me to be very good at what I do for a living.

Have you also started threads about Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity not having college degrees? I'm pretty sure they "shape" 100x more views daily than a bit player like Chuck Todd.

What I like about him is that he's not like every talking head on TV, now I know why. A college degree isn't always a good thing, in some professions - journalism being one - you can actually be better off without it.

He did go to GW, though he did not graduate. I think he was just one or two courses short of graduating. So, he has a formal education, just not the degree.
Two classes? Give me a break, nothing he would have learned in those two classes makes one bit of difference in the real world.

What I like about him is that he's not like every talking head on TV, now I know why.

I don't think it's because of the lack of college degree. I'd attribute it more to the fact that he originally worked his way up behind the scenes rather than in front of the camera.

You seem to be operating under a mistaken idea, MoP.We use degrees as a signaling mechanism. If we don't want to spend a whole lot of time evaluating someone for ourselves, we can find out how much education they've received and where it's from. That gives us a basic, general idea of what we can expect out of talking to them. But there's variations from the norm in both directions. You can have a genius who only ever did community college or complete dunces who graduated from Harvard. There's some things, like say engineering, where education gives us job-critical skills and other jobs, like say journalism, where it may teach and give us context on what we end up covering. Its importance is on a spectrum, not a binary thing.If you don't like Chuck Todd, that's fine. But my opinion of him as a general political pundit doesn't really shift by whether or not he finished college especially given the content of what he generally covers: political scoreboard stuff, mostly... who's up, who's down, who's rising. The stuff he does with some regularity where formal training is certainly something of value is in forecasting outcomes but for those, I don't think he crunches the numbers himself. He has some stats guy in the back room doing it for him. So overall, this just seems like a weird thread.

:goodposting:

Two classes? Give me a break, nothing he would have learned in those two classes makes one bit of difference in the real world.
Agreed. I think he took a job with a campaign or Hotline and just never finished. He talks about GW hoops on his Twitter feed frequently (which I appreciate as a GW alum and GW basketball season ticket holder). GW even lists him on their web site as a famous alum.

Have you also started threads about Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity not having college degrees? I'm pretty sure they "shape" 100x more views daily than a bit player like Chuck Todd.
:goodposting: I was going to bring this up myself if you hadn't.

I was shocked to find this out.

this did not surprise me

I also am usually shocked by things that don't surprise me.

Good thread, MoP.

Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

this did not surprise me

Was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

:lol:

Dude has at least one college degree.

Dude has at least one college degree.
It was Jennings, he got a break because he was Canadian.

this did not surprise me

:lmao:MoP getting tagged up in here.

Chuck Todd is that political reporter guy that looks like he should be on the back of a bass boat, right?

Chuck Todd is that political reporter guy that looks like he should be on the back of a bass boat, right?

No..that's Howard Fineman.

No..that's Howard Fineman.
Fineman has an MS and a JD. He's so much better than we are.

this did not surprise me

I'm shocked to see a slip up like that from MoP, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Pretty sure you played the degree card in a Beck vs Maddow debate.

this did not surprise me

Take it easy on him. It isn't like he has a college degree yet.

this did not surprise me