What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (5 Viewers)

big loss for michigan tonight to mn, drops them to 7th place in the big 10
They are still in, but barely.  Have to win two road games at Rut and Neb to stay on the bubble.  If they also add a win against Purdue or at NW, then they are solidly in.  1-3 out, 2-2 bubble (B1G Tourny game win needed), 3-1 in.   

Seen it all year long. This team has just fallen apart.
Typical Crean basketball we've been seeing for a while. Fold like deck chairs late in the shot clock, can't handle the press. The difference is this year there isn't anyone who can step up & make the plays when needed. Injuries haven't helped but someone needs to be the guy to lead the team... I guess he wasn't recruited.

They are still in, but barely.  Have to win two road games at Rut and Neb to stay on the bubble.  If they also add a win against Purdue or at NW, then they are solidly in.  1-3 out, 2-2 bubble (B1G Tourny game win needed), 3-1 in.   
Agreed. If they can't beat Rutgers, they don't belong in the tournament. 

Typical Crean basketball we've been seeing for a while. Fold like deck chairs late in the shot clock, can't handle the press. The difference is this year there isn't anyone who can step up & make the plays when needed. Injuries haven't helped but someone needs to be the guy to lead the team... I guess he wasn't recruited.
They had some of the worst turnovers I've seen at the end of regulation and I didn't understand Bryant not posting up more down the stretch.  Weird team they should be much better than they actually are.

I turned it off at halftime (IU up 1) and am entirely unsurprised by this result.  I hadn't even bothered to check the score yet this morning because I've pretty much stopped caring.
I still care it's just a broken record with this team and Crean teams in general. He's just a spaz.

Bryant and Blackmon are huge disappointments. Bryant in particular I would hate if he were on another team. Preening, whiny on the court. Not a fan.

I still care it's just a broken record with this team and Crean teams in general. He's just a spaz.

Bryant and Blackmon are huge disappointments. Bryant in particular I would hate if he were on another team. Preening, whiny on the court. Not a fan.
This. My wife & daughter are IU alums. They are NOT Crean fans. 

This. My wife & daughter are IU alums. They are NOT Crean fans. 
IU alumni as is my brother and mom who went went law school there, lived in Bloomington for almost 20 years growing up.

Crean is just a dork. Took over a crappy situation but as a coach I have zero faith whenever the game is close and he constantly loses the second half. 

Hate having a revolving door at head coach but he's been there long enough and they could find somebody better.

Terps are in their annual swoon.  Lost 4 out of 6.  Tonight was an embarrassment.
Give the Gophers credit too. Played great and now 6 straight wins. Now 9-6 in conference with a lot of weapons and good D.

The refs were terrible again as usual. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Terps are in their annual swoon.  Lost 4 out of 6.  Tonight was an embarrassment.
We are who they thought we were, yet they failed to let us off the hook!

Sucks being pushed around on your own court. The B1G Tournament being a so close to home can't help. Seems like the Terps play better when they can't crush their fan's hopes at home.

From what I see, the three freshmen are really struggling.  I'd probably slide Cowan and Huerter onto the bench in favor of Brantley and Gill, sliding Jackson from the 4 to the 3, with Huerter as the first guy off the bench, subbing for both Jackson and Gill.

From what I see, the three freshmen are really struggling.  I'd probably slide Cowan and Huerter onto the bench in favor of Brantley and Gill, sliding Jackson from the 4 to the 3, with Huerter as the first guy off the bench, subbing for both Jackson and Gill.
What the hell is going on with Wiley?

That said, Nigel Hayes is a just such a disappointing player. Seems he's never been able to really improve the last couple of years. Same guy from two years ago, and he's been figured out.

Can anyone other than Happ make in impact for Wisconsin? Could be a quick tourney exit if they don't figure that out.
Yes, I'm quoting myself. Hayes continues the disappointing finish tour. At least Bronson is starting to get healthy. 

Looking forward to the Purdue at Michigan game today, a win today goes a long way towards Michigan getting an invite to the big dance

What the hell is going on with Wiley?
No idea.  Not sure if it's injury or just not playing well.  If he's healthy and getting this little playing time, I'd expect him to transfer.  Terps lose two seniors (Gill and Dodd), gain two redshirts (Thomas and Tumaic), have two commits so far, with Trimble a maybe for next year.

The next two are pretty much must-win games for the Terps (Iowa at home, at Rutgers), in terms of B1G and NCAA seeding.  I would love to see Turgeon shake up the starting lineup today, with Gill replacing Cowan or Huerter, but I doubt it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
The win for Iowa was big today. That said they need to finish the big ten regular season strong and do some damage in the Big 10 tournament if they want to make the NCAA tournament. The past couple of games the Hawkeyes have looked really good.

Another embarrassing performance at home by the Terps.  Bad shooting, bad defense, bad ball movement, bad rebounding.  A couple weeks ago, I would have said there's no way they could miss the dance, but if they lose the next three...

Cowan is completely unable to drive without getting his shot blocked.  Gill needs more time.

Another embarrassing performance at home by the Terps.  Bad shooting, bad defense, bad ball movement, bad rebounding.  A couple weeks ago, I would have said there's no way they could miss the dance, but if they lose the next three...

Cowan is completely unable to drive without getting his shot blocked.  Gill needs more time.
That was pathetic. I think anyone posting in this thread could've scored double digits in the paint against MD yesterday. Iowa beat the #### out of the Terps, and they didn't even need eye-poking to do it.

James Daulton said:
I blame @BowieMercs.  He predicted this a couple of weeks ago.

Turg's team are starting to fall into a bad habit of finishing horribly.  I was sold on him, now I'm not. 
Most wins first 5 years in program history and you're done with him after overachieving this year with a bunch of freshmen while still hanging in 4th place in the B1G with 2 games to go before the BTT with a possible double-bye and a decent seed in the NCAA Tournament?  :rolleyes:

Since nobody's mentioned it yet...Go Gophers! 7 straight wins. Mason two assists from a triple double. Lynch with 11 blocks! Gophers are currently 3rd in the B1G with a chance for a double-bye in the BTT after getting 2 conference wins last year.

Last two games: vs. NEB and @ WIS. Minnesota really needs a win over a Wisconsin team.

Most wins first 5 years in program history and you're done with him after overachieving this year with a bunch of freshmen while still hanging in 4th place in the B1G with 2 games to go before the BTT with a possible double-bye and a decent seed in the NCAA Tournament?  :rolleyes:
He said he's no longer sold on Turgeon, not that he's "done with him".  A little different, and about how I feel as well.  I'm not convinced Turgeon can take the program where it needs to be.  I'm not certain he can't, either, but I'm skeptical that he can.  There are a lot of red flags.

The first three years weren't terribly good, missing the tournament all three years.  The next three (including this year), the teams have regressed during the season (annual February swoon).  Few of his players have improved year to year.  Turnovers and rebounding have been consistent problems year after year.  Frequent 6+ minute scoring droughts (often multiple times per game) have been a problem year after year.  Last year's team saw RCJ leave early despite zero chance he would be drafted, and prior to that, a large number of transfers out.

And all of that is before considering his stubborn refusal to even attempt any defense other than straight man, even when man is clearly not working.

Gopher State said:
Yept, it punched their ticket to the big dance, they out played Purdue from minute one
It's amazing how much better they play at home.  Barely beat Rutgers on the road, handle Purdue easily at home.

He said he's no longer sold on Turgeon, not that he's "done with him".  A little different, and about how I feel as well.  I'm not convinced Turgeon can take the program where it needs to be.  I'm not certain he can't, either, but I'm skeptical that he can.  There are a lot of red flags.
Ok. I'll give you both the benefit of the doubt that I read into, "I was sold on him, now I'm not."

But what does that mean then? What if you were in charge? If you're not sold on him, why waste time giving him more time when you can start the new regime now? Or is he on a "I'll give you 2017-18 to prove it deal?" 

Fans want it all every year and have no patience for the long term just like the rest of life now. There are more games now than in the past but his wins must rank with Gary Williams and Lefty Driesell.

Gary took over a program about to be heavily sanctioned, and played fewer games. I don't remember the circumstances when Lefty took over.  In any case, given the much larger number of games now, looking at winning percentage would be more telling.

I've never been convinced he can take the program where it needs to go.  I'm less convinced today than, say, two years ago.  At that time, there had been improvement and additional recruiting success.  Today, we've now seen multiple years of the team falling apart down the stretch in February.

Regarding the question "what if I was in charge", I'm not sure.  Because of the ill-advised six year extension, the school can't afford to move on, at least right now.  I would not have given him the extension he got, certainly.  If I was taking over right now, and what's already done is done, I think I'd give him 2-3 years to show improvement, especially in the areas I mentioned.

It's a difficult position.  Fire a coach and you might end up with worse.  I don't know if coaches and their agents will covertly entertain discussions; for example, is it possible to reach out to Marshall's agent prior to firing Turgeon to gauge interest?

The frustrating thing is that Turg has won everywhere he's been.  I was jacked when he came to Maryland.  However, RC mentioned the two biggest issues I have with him, his teams lose late in the year (don't get better), and his teams have the same issues every year (scoring lapses, rebounding, and TOs).

I certainly don't hate Turg and I think he had to week through a lot of crap his first couple of years but the team is now fully his and should show consistent improvement. 

Sparty on!
:hifive:

I still think they need one more win to clinch a spot in the tourney. Hopefully on Wednesday.

Awesome home sendoff for the seniors, especially Eron.  Total class act on Wisky players coming over to the sideline and congratulating Eron on his career. :thumbup:

:lmao: Bucky is poop. 
:goodposting:

:hifive:

I still think they need one more win to clinch a spot in the tourney. Hopefully on Wednesday.

Awesome home sendoff for the seniors, especially Eron.  Total class act on Wisky players coming over to the sideline and congratulating Eron on his career. :thumbup:
Was hoping some Sparty fans noticed that. I liked seeing that and it helped ease yet another awful day of basketball (at least for us Bucky fans)

Users who are viewing this thread