Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kupcho1

Best albums of 2012

If any of you enjoy 'The Head and The Heart', I'd highly recommend the self-titled debut album from 'The Lumineers'.

I like the first few songs on the SSPU, then he says something stupid and twee like "I heart metal, I heart wine," then it gets kinda boring.

Need to listen a few more times. Not as "edgy" as their last but some nice melodies there, it's definitely at least pretty good.

You guys into Gotye at all?

Glee did a great job with his song. Much better than the original crap they play on the radio.

Beach House - Bloom is pretty decent/solid.

If any of you enjoy 'The Head and The Heart', I'd highly recommend the self-titled debut album from 'The Lumineers'.

Big fan of the head & the heart, I'll definitely have to check this out!

I'm really liking Kishi Bashi's 151a

Might get tired of it at some point, but it's up the for Album of the Year for me so far

Dr. John's, Locked Down, will be up there for me. Great album. Probably the best thing Dan Auerbach has worked on since his solo album.

Dr. John's, Locked Down, will be up there for me. Great album. Probably the best thing Dan Auerbach has worked on since his solo album.

Ive heard a lot of good things about this album, and nothing bad, but havent gotten around to it. Auerbach producing and playing guitar for the album have me even more intrigued.

Not really sure where to put this, but I guess this seems as good a place as any. Handsome Furs have ceased operations :( but Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs), Britt Daniel (Spoon), and someone else I can't recall have formed a new band and expect to have an album by the end of 2012 - The Divine Fits. :excited:

Finally getting around to listening to the whole Jack White album.....it's new and refreshing......I love it.

Not really sure where to put this, but I guess this seems as good a place as any. Handsome Furs have ceased operations :( but Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs), Britt Daniel (Spoon), and someone else I can't recall have formed a new band and expect to have an album by the end of 2012 - The Divine Fits. :excited:

I hope this is good, kinda bummed about the cessation of the Furs (pretty obvious that's due to them splitting) and a new Spoon album being delayed...but I'll keep MY MIND OPEN.The other dude is the drummer from the New Bomb Turks.

I hope this is good, kinda bummed about the cessation of the Furs (pretty obvious that's due to them splitting) and a new Spoon album being delayed...but I'll keep MY MIND OPEN.The other dude is the drummer from the New Bomb Turks.
Yeah, they're not saying why but it's pretty obvious. I'm not a huge fan of Wolf People, but I love Spoon and relatively recently started frequently listening to the Handsome Furs. I wonder what the sound is gonna be like.

Heard

Counting Crows song a few times in the past week on the local npr stationand have been digging it. Didnt even realize it was CC when I first heard it, although the voice sounded familiar.

So I decided to look up the album only to find out the entire album is covers (obviously didnt realize the single was a cover, never heard it, and just listened to the original version which is also very good). Listened to clips of the album, and they really do nothing to add to all the songs Im familiar with: You Aint Goin Nowhere (Dylan), Amie (Pure Prairie League), Ooh La La (The Faces), The Ballad of El Goodo (Big Star), Return of the Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons)...I dont mind covers, or a whole album of them, but at least to something to make them sound fresh or original.

Still undecided about the new Best Coast album. It's a lot more polished than the last one, which I loved - I think it was my #2 album of 2010 in the FBG poll - but it's just more of the same and I'm starting to feel like I'm "over them". I really liked the raw, lo-fi-ish feel from the last one, this one doesn't have that same feel to it. It'll probably make my year-end list, though.

Still undecided about the new Best Coast album. It's a lot more polished than the last one, which I loved - I think it was my #2 album of 2010 in the FBG poll - but it's just more of the same and I'm starting to feel like I'm "over them". I really liked the raw, lo-fi-ish feel from the last one, this one doesn't have that same feel to it. It'll probably make my year-end list, though.

I like that lead (title?) track.

John Fullbright - From The Ground Up Bought this on a whim this past weekend at a local music store. (Yes, they still exist, and yes I still buy CDs). Phenomenal album guys. Hard to pigeon-hole him as far as style - I would say it's Americana. Reminds me a little of Townes Van Zant but with a punch of Hayes Carll-type to it. Can't stop listening to it.

If the guy who put out the Beachland summer mix last year puts another out, someone flag it here. I found some bands new to me from that last year.

Liking Spacin' and King Tuff.

That King Tuff is a fun one. Haven't seen you mention Mikal Cronin... if you haven't heard that one, give it a try. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

That King Tuff is a fun one. Haven't seen you mention Mikal Cronin... if you haven't heard that one, give it a try. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

Oh, yeah. Big fan.

I LOVE MIKAL CRONIN.

"You Gotta Have Someone"

"Tide"

Pretty sure Tufnel is on his street team.

Has anyone listened to La Sera's new record Hardly Art?

Oh, yeah. Big fan.

I LOVE MIKAL CRONIN.

"You Gotta Have Someone"

"Tide"

Damn, how'd I miss that? Well hopefully someone else becomes a new fan...

Royal Headache's self-titled debut was released in Australia last year (and it actually snuck into the FFA top 50 of 2011), but was released in the U.S. this year. It's awesome. They sound like a super-charged Small Faces or early Who. Fans of recent acts like The Men and The Black Keys as well as fans of those Nuggets compilations will like this.

St. Vincent and David Byrne collaboration album to be released 9/11.

Dear god....YES

The Killers just put out a

for their new album. It has nothing of substance, but it does confirm something is coming.

New Future of the Left record is totally demolishing my balls this week.

White Fence's Family Perfume Vol. 1 is the boobs.

Been looking forward to this, but can't... er, locate it.

Darker My Love

Good stuff. :thumbup:

The lack of diversity in my top 5 is frightening. I think I'm just tired of all the mopey #### I listened to last year.Cloud NothingsThe MenPlants and AnimalsJapandroidsGentleman Jesse

I just found the Japandroids and so far there hasn't been a track I didn't really like. Unreal energy for two guys, though I wish there was a bassist to add another level of depth. Not a complaint though. There's a heavy influence that I hear constantly in their music, but I just can't put my finger on it...I'm going to look hard at these other bands because I just can't get into 99% of new music. I've spent most of the last 6 months listening to 90s and early 00s indie type music, especially Sonic Youth.

I don't know if Damon Albarn's 21st century production of Bobby Womack's The Bravest Man in the Universe will hold up over time but for now, it's a unique listen and a welcome return by the great soulman.

The lack of diversity in my top 5 is frightening. I think I'm just tired of all the mopey #### I listened to last year.

Cloud Nothings

The Men

Plants and Animals

Japandroids

Gentleman Jesse

I just found the Japandroids and so far there hasn't been a track I didn't really like. Unreal energy for two guys, though I wish there was a bassist to add another level of depth. Not a complaint though. There's a heavy influence that I hear constantly in their music, but I just can't put my finger on it...

I'm going to look hard at these other bands because I just can't get into 99% of new music. I've spent most of the last 6 months listening to 90s and early 00s indie type music, especially Sonic Youth.

Bonzai's list is very good. Based on the bolded, I bet you'll like The Men and Cloud Nothings (Attack on Memory - produced by Steve Albini). I really like both albums, along with the Japandroids album.

Plants and Animals have more of a loose 60s vibe, and Gentleman Jesse has a jangly 70s powerpop sound (Tom Petty, Big Star, Nick Lowe). Both are solid albums as well.

The lack of diversity in my top 5 is frightening. I think I'm just tired of all the mopey #### I listened to last year.

Cloud Nothings

The Men

Plants and Animals

Japandroids

Gentleman Jesse

I just found the Japandroids and so far there hasn't been a track I didn't really like. Unreal energy for two guys, though I wish there was a bassist to add another level of depth. Not a complaint though. There's a heavy influence that I hear constantly in their music, but I just can't put my finger on it...

I'm going to look hard at these other bands because I just can't get into 99% of new music. I've spent most of the last 6 months listening to 90s and early 00s indie type music, especially Sonic Youth.

Bonzai's list is very good. Based on the bolded, I bet you'll like The Men and Cloud Nothings (Attack on Memory - produced by Steve Albini). I really like both albums, along with the Japandroids album.

Plants and Animals have more of a loose 60s vibe, and Gentleman Jesse has a jangly 70s powerpop sound (Tom Petty, Big Star, Nick Lowe). Both are solid albums as well.

:lmao:

After a quick YouTube session that's exactly the division I came up with. I knew I'd tried PnA before and didn't like them and Jesse had a vibe I didn't like, but seemed almost more 50s than 70s (from the 5-6 songs I tried). Sort of like what keeps me from really liking Deer Tick, though there are many songs I do like on his albums. Maybe I'll come around to them down the line, but I can tell that Japandroids isn't going to leave me alone anytime soon. Hope I figre out who that influence is, it's driving me nuts.

eta: Figured it out, Cap'n Jazz!

My favorites:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Ty Segall and White Fence - Hair

The Men - Open Your Heart

White Fence - Family Perfume Vol. 1 and 2

PS I Love You - Death Dreams

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

Gentleman Jesse - Leaving Atlanta

Nude Beach - Nude Beach II

Pond - Beard, Wives, Denim

Man, I couldn't stand that Japandroids album.

Checked out the whole Grimes album, and wasn't really into that either except for "Oblivion."

Man, I couldn't stand that Japandroids album.Checked out the whole Grimes album, and wasn't really into that either except for "Oblivion."

You know I love you, but your taste is difficult to triangulate. I guess I wouldn't have expected you to be into Japandroids, but it's odd that you hate it.

My favorites:

Man, DIIV's Oshin is pretty good. Tough to describe. Maybe a shoegazier Real Estate?

So after a couple weeks, the Fiona Apple record is right there with Spiritualized, Dr. John, and GbV for best records of the year for me.

Checked out the whole Grimes album, and wasn't really into that either except for "Oblivion."

You know I love you, but your taste is difficult to triangulate. I guess I wouldn't have expected you to be into Japandroids, but it's odd that you hate it.
Gay chicken?

So after a couple weeks, the Fiona Apple record is right there with Spiritualized, Dr. John, and GbV for best records of the year for me.

That's getting ridiculous reviews. Need to make time for the fifth GBV album this year.

Gay chicken?
Bock, bock, gb.

That's getting ridiculous reviews. Need to make time for the fifth GBV album this year.
Prepare for rocksauce in the form of Billy Wire and John the Croc. And it's the second. Third coming in November. :yes:

Prepare for rocksauce in the form of Billy Wire and John the Croc. And it's the second. Third coming in November. :yes:
His output intimidates me. When I'm into a band, I like to take in everything. They're/he's sort of the exception. I will check this one out, though. Thought LGEtF was pretty good.

My favorites:

Man, DIIV's Oshin is pretty good. Tough to describe. Maybe a shoegazier Real Estate?
This sounds like it would be all kinds of right up my alley

My favorites:

This sounds like it would be all kinds of right up my alley
Horse foot.