What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a gas grill. (1 Viewer)

gmbacm

Footballguy
Figuring on spending 1K or so. Looking for one with a natural gas hookup. Want to get a nice one that will last. What makes/models should I shoot for?

Bought one of these last spring. Love it. It has nice grates, easy to clean, the lighting works real well. Kenmore is a good name for cooking appliances. You can get a natural gas adapter from sears also (~$70).

Had a Weber for 10+ years...replaced the grates and "flavorizer" bars...just now starting to possibly need new burners.

Thing still cooks great and holds a consistent temp.

In the market for a new gas grill right now...

Considering:

Master Forge 5 Burner Stainless - $599

Weber Genesis 3 Burner - $950

Kitchen Aid 4 Burner Stainless Grill - $750

This is on the high end of what I'm looking at but it looks to have some pretty solid features...

Master Forge 5 Burner Stainless Outdoor Kitchen - $1299

I know folks are big fans of the Webers here... but anyone have any experience with the others? I'm partial to Lowes due to having a "hookup" there and may be able to get a discount.

Considering:

This is on the high end of what I'm looking at but it looks to have some pretty solid features...

I know folks are big fans of the Webers here... but anyone have any experience with the others? I'm partial to Lowes due to having a "hookup" there and may be able to get a discount.
FWIW - I went with the napoleon P500 RSIB. It was a better deal then the equivalent weber at the time - basically decided between those two brands. But I think napoleon's are cheaper up here. Love it :thumbup: http://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourmet-grills/P500RSIB_gas_grill_barbecue.html

Considering:

FWIW - I went with the napoleon P500 RSIB. It was a better deal then the equivalent weber at the time - basically decided between those two brands. But I think napoleon's are cheaper up here. Love it :thumbup: http://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourmet-grills/P500RSIB_gas_grill_barbecue.html
$1500 is a bit high for my budget.Nice looking grill though. Whats with the wave grates?

Last edited by a moderator:

Considering:

I'm no pro, but my Weber Genesis is great.

Wow - came here to post Weber and saw the all the Weber suggestions. We went through 2 nice looking ones that didn't last and flared up like crazy. Got the Weber Genesis a few years ago and have only had to replace the flavorizor bars.

I have a Weber Genesis and love it. I have the S330 model with the searing station and side burner. I use those two features a lot.

Considering:

$1500 is a bit high for my budget.Nice looking grill though. Whats with the wave grates?
Yeah - $1500 is too high if that is your price down there. I ended up getting it in NG with a few throwins for under $12K.(including this http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/67731.html) Up here Webers are more expensive and the Napoleons are less. Its just nice having a decent grill. No flareups, no rusty grates, even cooking. Used the rotisserie and "sear station" a bunch - both are great. Sear station works fantastic with steaks, and doubles as a side burner if needed. Haven't tried the smoker/charcoal tray yet - not sure how well that works...

I have a Weber Genesis and love it. I have the S330 model with the searing station and side burner. I use those two features a lot.
I have the side burner ...what does the searing station look like?
It's a fourth burner between the left and center burners. It creates a bit of a hot spot on the grill for searing steaks. When I cook steaks, I place them right over that burner.

Considering:

ICON...we bought a "Jenn Air" from Lowes and it SUCKS! The burners have died on this thing twice (they'll send you new ones) and they aren't really big enough for the space. Once this set of burners goes out, I'm done with gas. Going to 100% charcoal.

ICON...we bought a "Jenn Air" from Lowes and it SUCKS! The burners have died on this thing twice (they'll send you new ones) and they aren't really big enough for the space. Once this set of burners goes out, I'm done with gas. Going to 100% charcoal.
Good info here. I had started to consider JEnnAir a bit but they seem way to high-priced for what they were getting. I figured ti was possibly due to the quality but that sounds like it's not the case either. Thanks for the feedback. I love charcoal and use the base of my Weber Smoky Mountain for that purpose when I have the time. However there are a lot of times after work where I just don't feel like messing with it so I like having a nice gas grill on the patio for times like that.

Another Weber Genesis owner here. Have had it for 6 years and has been fantastic. Not a single problem with it and makes for a nice pairing with the BGE.

Good info here. I had started to consider JEnnAir a bit but they seem way to high-priced for what they were getting. I figured ti was possibly due to the quality but that sounds like it's not the case either. Thanks for the feedback. I love charcoal and use the base of my Weber Smoky Mountain for that purpose when I have the time. However there are a lot of times after work where I just don't feel like messing with it so I like having a nice gas grill on the patio for times like that.
I learned the hard way. I didn't look up the model online before I bought it :bag: but it is terrible. Just make sure when you're looking at the grill, the burners seem to be the right size. I'll say the construction of the grill is pretty solid. The burners are bad though. I've already been through two sets. Only had the grill 8 years. I was of the same opinion as you with regards to time/effort, coming home from work etc, but I'm over that after this experience.

http://www.amazon.com/988747-Sovereign-Natural-Burner-Rotisserie/dp/B004EBUW7M

I have this and really like it. When I bought this, the Genesis still had the burner controls up on the tray which was a deal breaker for me. I see that they have changed that now but I still wouldn't trade my Broil King. Massive size and this sucker gets hot. I use the side burner and rotisserie rarely so those options wouldn't sway me if I was buying a new one even though they are nice to have. Stainless steel grates are an absolute must in whatever you buy.

Good luck

get one with stainless steel grates. adds a nice nonstick and lasts much longer
IMO the best grates are porcelin coated cast iron.Ive had these or a while and they are great. Had cast iron and that sucked. Had the stainless and they were ok, just deteriorated after a while. THe ones I have now have been going strong for far longer than any other grates I have had.

Honestly grates are pretty easily replaced for most grills so it's not the end of the world either way. I prefer the PCCI on the Weber Genesis but Stainless rods would work as well.

I'm leaning slightly toward the genesis 330 (copper) for the patio but I've got to see what kind of deal I can score from my buddy. HItting lowes at lunch to see if I can't take a look at them side by side. I think it's down to the Ducane ($350) and the Genesis 330 ($700).

This will be replacing a cheap old kenmore beater that's about 5 or 6 years old and in rough shape. It will be accompanying my Backwoods Competitor (large format smoker) and my Weber Smoky Mountain (small format smoker / charcoal grill).

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
get one with stainless steel grates. adds a nice nonstick and lasts much longer
IMO the best grates are porcelin coated cast iron.Ive had these or a while and they are great. Had cast iron and that sucked. Had the stainless and they were ok, just deteriorated after a while. THe ones I have now have been going strong for far longer than any other grates I have had.
good to know

Other than saying I'm a proponent of the Weber line, I'll say this - pay the money to get a GOOD grill cover for it.

This grill is $599 at Costco. My folks have the same unit that's about 10 years old and it still is in perfect shape with weekly use. It's definitely on the radar now at that price point. Looked at the Weber Genesis at Lowes on lunch break. Looks very nice and the build quality is undeniable. It had stanless rod grates for some reason.

The clerk confirmed they could order the Ducane unit and that the price is $349. Supposedly a store in a neighboring town has one in stock so I'm going to look at it tomorrow. :popcorn:

I learned the hard way. I didn't look up the model online before I bought it :bag: but it is terrible. Just make sure when you're looking at the grill, the burners seem to be the right size. I'll say the construction of the grill is pretty solid. The burners are bad though. I've already been through two sets. Only had the grill 8 years. I was of the same opinion as you with regards to time/effort, coming home from work etc, but I'm over that after this experience.
Seems a bit extreme to write off gas grills completely because you bought a crappy one, no?

Have been researching for the last few months and Weber definitely seems the way to go. Basically seems to come down to paying more up front but getting MANY more useful years of service out of your purchase. I bought a Weber kettle to hold me over until I've got the funds saved up for a Genesis. Would love a Big Green Egg someday.

Question for Weber owners... how is the grill-size? One thing I have noticed and wondered about is that the grilling surface area seems a bit on the smallish side to me. Is that an encumbrance for people when grilling? Does it really matter? Seems like it might be a pain for parties or larger items (ribs, etc.)

I've had a Weber Genesis for 10 years - replaced the flavorizer bars for the second time this year. Getting close to having to replace the burners. It almost made me sick when I shelled out $500 for a #######' grill. Now...I'd never buy any other brand.

Seems a bit extreme to write off gas grills completely because you bought a crappy one, no?
It's not like I've dismissed a car for a horse and buggy. There are many other reasons I'll go back to charcoal. This just happens to be what pushed me over the edge.

It's not like I've dismissed a car for a horse and buggy. There are many other reasons I'll go back to charcoal. This just happens to be what pushed me over the edge.
Okay, the burners were the only thing you talked about in your posts. Certainly pro's and con's to each.

Okay, the burners were the only thing you talked about in your posts. Certainly pro's and con's to each.
That's what keeps failing on the POS I have and they are a PITA to replace. I'm now firmly in the camp of KISS. A bowl, charcoal, fire, grate. That's it for me going forward even if it takes an extra 10 minutes to get everything on the grill.

Okay I'm about 95% sure I'm getting a Weber Genesis 330.

Now it comes down to Stainless finish vs Copper Finish. How do the non stainless finishes on these hold up?

Also, has anyone gotten the accessory cabinets that mount between the grill and the wings? Seems like the added storage space and counter space could be useful.
Gotta say that copper looks pretty #####in.
My thoughts exactly... and it's $150 cheaper than the all stainless option. I'm just curious as to how well they hold up.

Okay I'm about 95% sure I'm getting a Weber Genesis 330.

Now it comes down to Stainless finish vs Copper Finish. How do the non stainless finishes on these hold up?

Also, has anyone gotten the accessory cabinets that mount between the grill and the wings? Seems like the added storage space and counter space could be useful.
My thoughts exactly... and it's $150 cheaper than the all stainless option. I'm just curious as to how well they hold up.
I would think just as well as most others - not thinking past 20-25 yrs anyway ...And leaving it to patina may look really cool. If not, just scrub it with copper cleaner. Would be unique - even though it's a Weber.

I would think just as well as most others - not thinking past 20-25 yrs anyway ...And leaving it to patina may look really cool. If not, just scrub it with copper cleaner. Would be unique - even though it's a Weber.
My only concern is that the copper isn't really copper, it's enameled steel (not unlike on their kettle grills I imagine). Here's a photoof another color model (not copper) that shows the finish as it is (painted steel)

Here is another view of the copper (non professionally shot) that also shows that it's an enameled steel vs actual copper (which is understandable)

I have this grill from Sam's Club and love it. I endorse Weber all the time, because I've owned one and they are great grills. But this past Spring I was in need of a grill and settled on the one I linked above because of price and flexibility. You can do gas on one side, charcoal on the other and also has infrared burner and smoker box. It's performed very well.

Users who are viewing this thread