What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a gas grill. (1 Viewer)

Gotta say that copper looks pretty #####in.
My thoughts exactly... and it's $150 cheaper than the all stainless option. I'm just curious as to how well they hold up.
I would think just as well as most others - not thinking past 20-25 yrs anyway ...And leaving it to patina may look really cool. If not, just scrub it with copper cleaner. Would be unique - even though it's a Weber.
My only concern is that the copper isn't really copper, it's enameled steel (not unlike on their kettle grills I imagine). Here's a photoof another color model (not copper) that shows the finish as it is (painted steel)

Here is another view of the copper (non professionally shot) that also shows that it's an enameled steel vs actual copper (which is understandable)
Buddy of mine has a red Weber Genesis that's sat on the back deck for years and years. It's never been covered. Left under trees from time to time. It's shameful really that he doesn't take better care of such a wonderful grill.The finish is fine.

Anyway, I think that copper finish will hold up just fine. Especially for someone, such as yourself, that will treat it properly.

I have this grill from Sam's Club and love it. I endorse Weber all the time, because I've owned one and they are great grills. But this past Spring I was in need of a grill and settled on the one I linked above because of price and flexibility. You can do gas on one side, charcoal on the other and also has infrared burner and smoker box. It's performed very well.
Interesting... I looked at that model yesterday and was unimpressed with the build quality. However that likely had a LOT to do with having $6/hr mcdonalds rejects that work at my local Sam's assembling it.

Buddy of mine has a red Weber Genesis that's sat on the back deck for years and years. It's never been covered. Left under trees from time to time. It's shameful really that he doesn't take better care of such a wonderful grill.The finish is fine. Anyway, I think that copper finish will hold up just fine. Especially for someone, such as yourself, that will treat it properly.
Good info..thank you. :thumbup: And yeah... I don't get people who don't take care of these things. It's bad enough you're asking it to stay out in the elements.... but not providing Some degree of protection / cleaning / care is absurd for such an investment. My Weber Smoky Mountain is half a decade old and short of some usual rust on the fire grate the thing is in fantastic shape, but it is kept under the cover when not in use. I really have always been impressed with weber products.

Bump for more feedback from Weber genesis owners on the following topics:

1) Thoughts on the Enamel Steel Finish vs Stainless Finish with regards to durability?

2) anyone get the side storage cabinets? Thoughts?

so webber is like twice as much, is it REALLY worth it?
I dont think it is so much weber as it is the price point. Grills in the 800-1200 dollar range are made with higher quality materials than grills in 300-600 dollar range. These higher dollar grills get hotter and last longer. I have a buddy that buys a $300 grill every 3rd season because the burners fall apart and the grates rust. I am on my 6th season with my broil king and it still looks and works great. I would imagine that weber owners the 1k price range have similar results with their grill. Napoleon, Weber, Broil King, Vermont Castings all make really nice grills in the 1k price range so it comes down to personal preference.

so webber is like twice as much, is it REALLY worth it?
I dont think it is so much weber as it is the price point. Grills in the 800-1200 dollar range are made with higher quality materials than grills in 300-600 dollar range. These higher dollar grills get hotter and last longer. I have a buddy that buys a $300 grill every 3rd season because the burners fall apart and the grates rust. I am on my 6th season with my broil king and it still looks and works great. I would imagine that weber owners the 1k price range have similar results with their grill. Napoleon, Weber, Broil King, Vermont Castings all make really nice grills in the 1k price range so it comes down to personal preference.
Yep. Boils down to paying twice as much upfront for something that lasts 3 times as long. (Obviously a simplification, but that's the gist of it.)

1) Thoughts on the Enamel Steel Finish vs Stainless Finish with regards to durability?

1) No problems at all for me2) I guess it depends on your needs, but I don't think it's necessary. I have more than enough space in the cabinets underneath the grill.

1) I don't think you'll sacrifice durability at all. One thing to consider, however, is the grate material. I believe you only get the SS grates with the SS model or the "limited edition" enamel model. Worth looking into.2) I've been toying with this idea, but am also looking into an outdoor kitchen down the line at some point which would negate the need. I personally think it would be well-used space if you plan on going standalone. I know I could use it right now. I keep suede gloves, cast iron skillet, wood chunks, wood chips, smoke box, barkeepers friend, rags, thermometers, etc underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a recommendation for a gas/coal combo grill? I'm not someone who is a BBQ king but I would like to have both the charcoal option and the lazy option. Maybe in the 600-1000 range?

THIS THREAD detailing the issues of grease stains being permenant on the Weber enameled surfaces on Genesis grills scared me enough to get the s330 Full Stainless model. $150 more but it should be easy to clean with Bar Keepers Friend if anything ever gets on the stainless surface.

It's being assembled today. Paying for it in 3 hours (10% employee discount + 10% off Moving discount) and it will be delivered by Saturday assembled and ready to go. :thumbup: :excited:

Pretty sure I'm going to HAVE to get an 8lb Prime Grade Ribeye roast and cut some 3" thick monsters as a proper way to christen this thing. Seems like the only right way to do it... :banned:

ETA: Landed the S330 for $730 (Sale price $949) :thumbup: :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. I assembled mine and learned how unbelievably stupid that decision was.
Reviews say it's not too terribly bad. It's a PITA? I'm pretty handy but honestly I've got a pretty hectic week and didn't feel like ####### with it. Fingers-crossed dude doesn't screw it up. My good buddy at the store said the guy who was building mine was good and he'd make sure he knew to do a good job but ya never know I guess.

Well, the delivery dude broke a slate tile on the stairs coming into the house to deliver the box. That wouldn't had happened had it been assembled. The assembly itself wasn't difficult per se, but it took over an hour if I remember correctly. So, take my time plus time to remove and replace the broken slate tile, and the fifty bucks seemed like a steal.

You are going to really like it. I know you smoke a ton, but there's something to be said for the convenience of the gas. I take a few apple chunks and drop them on the flavorizer bars then cook at the lowest temp and get a pretty good result. Even, consistent heat. One tip though - don't trust the thermometer. The grill will likely run hotter than it reads if you have it going for a while. For mine 200 means 220.

Well, the delivery dude broke a slate tile on the stairs coming into the house to deliver the box. That wouldn't had happened had it been assembled. The assembly itself wasn't difficult per se, but it took over an hour if I remember correctly. So, take my time plus time to remove and replace the broken slate tile, and the fifty bucks seemed like a steal. You are going to really like it. I know you smoke a ton, but there's something to be said for the convenience of the gas. I take a few apple chunks and drop them on the flavorizer bars then cook at the lowest temp and get a pretty good result. Even, consistent heat. One tip though - don't trust the thermometer. The grill will likely run hotter than it reads if you have it going for a while. For mine 200 means 220.
:thumbup: Sounds great. Thanks for the pointer! Yeah I grill 70% -75% of the time... generally don't have time to use the smoker after work during the week. Love the grill for steaks, chicken, veggies, etc.

True Value down the road has a store model Weber genesis ep-310 special edition for $549. Might have to pick it up.
:thumbup: Good price. IIRC that model lacks the side burner and the 4th "Searing" burner but otherwise it's the same basic grill as the 330 model. Nice value at 549.

I think I need a new one, too. Bought a Kenmore about 5 years ago and the inside of the lid has rusted to crap. Every time I close the lid I sprinkle rust flakes on my food. Is this typical with stainless steel lids? Am I supposed to be treating or caring for the inside somehow?

In the market for a new gas grill right now...

Considering:

Master Forge 5 Burner Stainless - $599

Weber Genesis 3 Burner - $950
This is right where I am, and was leaning towards the Weber, but then I started reading about the Master Forge and it actually has better quality stainless steel burners (304) than the Weber. That surprised me. The only reviews I can find on the Master Forge are on the Lowes site and they are all very favorable. Really stuck and don't know what to do. I need help!

Another Weber Genesis owner here. Have had it for 6 years and has been fantastic. Not a single problem with it and makes for a nice pairing with the BGE.
I echo this. Had mine for 8ish years and use it at least 3-4 times a week. Only replaced the flavorizer bars once.

Another Weber Genesis owner here. Have had it for 6 years and has been fantastic. Not a single problem with it and makes for a nice pairing with the BGE.
I echo this. Had mine for 8ish years and use it at least 3-4 times a week. Only replaced the flavorizer bars once.
Same here - just replace the regulator ...cheap. Best gas grill I have ever had by far. And I have had a lot of gas grills.

Same here - just replace the regulator ...cheap. Best gas grill I have ever had by far. And I have had a lot of gas grills.
Ordered the Weber Genesis E-330 today. It's great to hear the positive reviews when you spend $800 on a grill.

Ordered the Weber Genesis E-330 today. It's great to hear the positive reviews when you spend $800 on a grill.
I love my Weber Genesis EP-330. Only had it a month or so but jesus this thing is sweet. :thumbup: :excited:

I think I need a new one, too. Bought a Kenmore about 5 years ago and the inside of the lid has rusted to crap. Every time I close the lid I sprinkle rust flakes on my food. Is this typical with stainless steel lids? Am I supposed to be treating or caring for the inside somehow?
Bump

And the burners and flavorizer on my old Silver B are dead.Not only that...so much corrosion that I could not undo the screws for the burners.Its hitting Craigslist and I get a new grill for my birthday.This badboy lasted for 13 years and was still going strong.Likely going Genesis 310 (don't have much of a need for a sideburner).

Bump
Anyone?
It seems like you've waited a while. You should have enough saved for a Weber Genesis now.

Bump
Anyone?
THis is my first stainless grill so I can't speak to your issue but my folks have a nice stainless broil king (I think) that is about a decade old and doesn't have any flaking issues.

Bump
Anyone?
Are you sure it is rust?Most inside grill covers will have a build up of smoke/grease over time and will eventually flake off and appear to look like rust or paint flakes but is actually harmless to the food. Here is a FAQ from WeberQ. I see what I think is peeling paint inside the lid of my grill! What should I do?A. Don’t worry, it’s not paint. The inside surfaces of our grill lids are not painted, they are coated with baked-on porcelain enamel which cannot peel. What you are noticing is a deposit of grease and smoke that collects during normal use. During use, the grease and smoke vapors slowly oxidize into carbon and collect on the inside of your lid. This deposit will eventually peel, and looks very similar to paint. The peeling normally starts in the center of the lid and spreads outward. It may come off in sheets or flakes, and is shiny on one side and dull on the other. These carbon deposits are non-toxic. But you might want to regularly remove the build-up. Fortunately, the peeling is easy to remove. Simply brush off all loose particles with a brass brush before you start grilling. To prevent future build-up, after every grilling session, while the grill lid is warm—not hot—wipe it with paper towels or a mild soap-and-water solution. http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/gasfaq.aspx

Bump
I've never seen stainless steel rust. It's either not really stainless or it's just on the outside. I've had my crappy gas grill for 6 years and the only thing that rusts in it are the burners. I've even left it out in the weather (to hopefully rust and throw away) but it's not working.

Bump
I've never seen stainless steel rust. It's either not really stainless or it's just on the outside. I've had my crappy gas grill for 6 years and the only thing that rusts in it are the burners. I've even left it out in the weather (to hopefully rust and throw away) but it's not working.
It's absolutely rust. For some reason I assumed it was stainless, but shopping for grills it seems most are not all stainless construction.I really need something, but can't seem to stomach throwing down a grand for a Weber. Lowe's has an all stainless Master Forge 4 burner for $370. I read some reviews, and some people are complaining about rust, some even within 6 months. However, I also read some Weber reviews where people were complaining about rust within a month (it was only a few, though). I wonder how often at these companies a lot of parts gets through quality without going through proper passivation. I can't fathom SS rusting withing a few months. Is there anything I can do to the inside of my Kenmore lid? Buff out all the rust and paint it with something? The grates and heat deflectors all need replaced, so I'm guessing that would run me $100. The grill works fine otherwise.

Bump
It's absolutely rust. For some reason I assumed it was stainless, but shopping for grills it seems most are not all stainless construction.I really need something, but can't seem to stomach throwing down a grand for a Weber. Lowe's has an all stainless Master Forge 4 burner for $370. I read some reviews, and some people are complaining about rust, some even within 6 months. However, I also read some Weber reviews where people were complaining about rust within a month (it was only a few, though). I wonder how often at these companies a lot of parts gets through quality without going through proper passivation. I can't fathom SS rusting withing a few months. Is there anything I can do to the inside of my Kenmore lid? Buff out all the rust and paint it with something? The grates and heat deflectors all need replaced, so I'm guessing that would run me $100. The grill works fine otherwise.
Look at the warranty of your grill. It may include lifetime warranty on the grates, deflectors, even the burners. As for a spray, I'm not sure. I don't think I like the idea of spraying some sort of chemical in my grill though :unsure:

I have a Weber Performer and love it. It's basically the classic Weber kettle charcoal grill integrated into a cart with a nice work surface and a storage bin, and a gas burner to start the coals. I've come to prefer the taste of meat cooked over lump charcoal and no longer use a gas grill at all. Only thing I added is a cast iron grid which is a major improvement over the cheap wire one that comes with it.

I have a Weber Performer and love it. It's basically the classic Weber kettle charcoal grill integrated into a cart with a nice work surface and a storage bin, and a gas burner to start the coals. I've come to prefer the taste of meat cooked over lump charcoal and no longer use a gas grill at all. Only thing I added is a cast iron grid which is a major improvement over the cheap wire one that comes with it.
I have a performer and love it. Never thought about getting a cast iron grid, but that sounds like a good idea :thumbup: Where did you get it?

I have a performer and love it. Never thought about getting a cast iron grid, but that sounds like a good idea :thumbup: Where did you get it?
This is the one I got. The thing is heavy and indestructible and the removable panels come in really handy.

Webers are worth it because you are paying 2X for a grill that lasts at least 2X as long and cooks better for all of those 10+ years.

Anything you can get for less than $400 is basically a tin can with a propane hookup. It doesn't heat evenly and lets a lot of heat escape with the lid down.

Webers are worth it because you are paying 2X for a grill that lasts at least 2X as long and cooks better for all of those 10+ years.Anything you can get for less than $400 is basically a tin can with a propane hookup. It doesn't heat evenly and lets a lot of heat escape with the lid down.
I want to see some pictures in here of 10 year old Webers.

This is what I currently have, and it's the reason I'm in this thread. The bottom of it completely rusted out last night. It's lasted for roughly five years though.
I also had a big-### VC grill that I bought in 2005. The bottom and the area where the burners protrude from have rusted out, so I'll need to buy a new one this year. I stopped in yesterday to the shop that sold me my first one.

Good news - they now manufacture the grills in the US, and at the time parts or all of it were made overseas. Additionally they area on mine that rusted out had been made with low-grade sheet metal, and now it is all stainless steel construction.

Bad news - moving to US and upgrading the build now means it costs at least double. I bought my original (5 burner, rotisserie, "limited edition") for $1199 plus tax/delivery. Pretty sure the new one (5 burner) is about $2400. The four-burner (which is probably more like what I need in terms of size) is $1700. I don't think I can justify that...even though I really loved the Porcelain Coated Cast Iron cooking grates and the solid and even heat from the grill.

An equivalent Weber Summit costs just as much, so I may have to step down a tier in grill "quality" and am looking hard at the Weber Genesis. Does anyone have ANY negative feedback on those? Any owners ever feel that it doesn't have enough space for cooking? Can I get PCCI grates for it aftermarket? Needs to have a natural gas hookup as well. I assume that's an option...

Webers are worth it because you are paying 2X for a grill that lasts at least 2X as long and cooks better for all of those 10+ years.Anything you can get for less than $400 is basically a tin can with a propane hookup. It doesn't heat evenly and lets a lot of heat escape with the lid down.
I want to see some pictures in here of 10 year old Webers.
When I get home I will take a pic of my seven year old genesis. looks new except they moved the gas knobs.

This is what I currently have, and it's the reason I'm in this thread. The bottom of it completely rusted out last night. It's lasted for roughly five years though.
I also had a big-### VC grill that I bought in 2005. The bottom and the area where the burners protrude from have rusted out, so I'll need to buy a new one this year. I stopped in yesterday to the shop that sold me my first one.

Good news - they now manufacture the grills in the US, and at the time parts or all of it were made overseas. Additionally they area on mine that rusted out had been made with low-grade sheet metal, and now it is all stainless steel construction.

Bad news - moving to US and upgrading the build now means it costs at least double. I bought my original (5 burner, rotisserie, "limited edition") for $1199 plus tax/delivery. Pretty sure the new one (5 burner) is about $2400. The four-burner (which is probably more like what I need in terms of size) is $1700. I don't think I can justify that...even though I really loved the Porcelain Coated Cast Iron cooking grates and the solid and even heat from the grill.

An equivalent Weber Summit costs just as much, so I may have to step down a tier in grill "quality" and am looking hard at the Weber Genesis. Does anyone have ANY negative feedback on those? Any owners ever feel that it doesn't have enough space for cooking? Can I get PCCI grates for it aftermarket? Needs to have a natural gas hookup as well. I assume that's an option...
There have been a lot of posts on this board about gas grills, and I don't remember a single negative experience. Plenty of space for cooking, and natural gas is an option.

I spent $25,000 on a custom grill and I plan on taking it to the moon with me in 2046. Can't believe some of you people only plan to get 10 years out of your grills :lmao:

1.5 years? I would hope it works and looks good. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to post a pic of a 10 year old Weber. :crickets:

Pretty sure I'm leaning towards a 6 burner Char Broil monstrosity that's on sale for $300 at Kroger.

Wow, lotta cheapskates in here, thinking they are saving money buy buying Grill Kings every 6 years...

Users who are viewing this thread