What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (3 Viewers)

Does this thing have a fee or anything?  Saw something about that on Amazon reviews.  Maybe that is to use it w/ Alexa?  Seems dumb.  

Anyone using this with Amazon garage delivery?  I already ordered one and that's my plan.  
No fee. Yes, set it up with Amazon Key. There's an app. I've used it for in garage delivery. Only thing is not everything is garage delivery available. Sometimes you can pick garage delivery if your are willing to wait another day or two. Other times it's just available with first available shipping. No rhyme or reason. 

Amazon also wants to try sell you their camera to mount inside garage for your security. It would record whenever a delivery was made. I didn't buy that. It's not required. If I wanted I could throw a cheap Wyze cam in there instead.

The MyQ Smart Garage Opener is back at ($30). It is that price at Amazon, best buy, and Walmart right now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13496974-chamberlain-myq-smart-hub-wifi-garage-door-opener-w-smartphone-control-30-in-store-pickup?src=frontpage
This install was very easy, even with my Kmart Craftsman garage door opener that is at least 15 years old.  But now that its up and working, I'm not sure why I bought it.  I have one of the keypad things on the outside, so my kids can get in if needed (we hide our spare housekey in the garage).  Other than that, its actually somewhat of a pain to get my phone out and open the app to get in my garage.  I don't typically have my phone out when I'm driving to or from work, which is only about 10 minutes' drive.  I think I'd rather just keep using the door opener on my car console.  I guess the one thing is you can check it remotely, for those days when my OCD is bugging me that maybe I left the door open.

This install was very easy, even with my Kmart Craftsman garage door opener that is at least 15 years old.  But now that its up and working, I'm not sure why I bought it.  I have one of the keypad things on the outside, so my kids can get in if needed (we hide our spare housekey in the garage).  Other than that, its actually somewhat of a pain to get my phone out and open the app to get in my garage.  I don't typically have my phone out when I'm driving to or from work, which is only about 10 minutes' drive.  I think I'd rather just keep using the door opener on my car console.  I guess the one thing is you can check it remotely, for those days when my OCD is bugging me that maybe I left the door open.
I LOVE mine. For $30 and 10 mins install it’s a no brainer. 

Uses: 

1) “Oh #### did we close the door?” When leaving/gone 

2) When friends/whoever need access to the garage to pick up / drop off stuff (common for me).. no longer need to give them the code. 

3) Amazon key : to drop packages inside the garage vs leaving on porch risking rain/theft. 

Any Chromebook recommendations?
I have an Acer 14" that works pretty well and looks really nice.  It's a tad bit slow compared to my old Macbook Pro (it has a celeron in it) but if you're just doing general stuff its fine.

Im thinking about giving it to my kids and getting the Pixelbook Go though

Just had my first unsatisfying interaction with Amazon customer service.  We've had a few items come a day late recently, and I haven't complained. But I bought something that was supposed to get here Tuesday, isn't here yet and there's no option to see tracking info like there usually would be.  Online chat worked well for me in the past, and I was watching a show with the wife, so I went that route.  The agent basically just said sorry, it should get there tomorrow.  She made me complain about it being unacceptable and that I probably would have bought it somewhere else if I had known it would have taken this long.  She just said sorry again and sent canned explanations about the shipping process, different shipping options I might have chosen, how the item has to be in stock otherwise the date given to me would be later than 2-day, how they might have had to wait for the item to arrive to them first, etc.  None of that applied to my purchase, which was "fulfilled by Amazon", marked as in stock, and I was given that guaranteed date at checkout.  After I pointed that out, she finally offered 20% refund - it was only a $13 item, so not much (and I wasn't expecting much), but that wasn't really the point to me.  In the past, they've been quick to offer something more than "sorry about that" before you complain more than you already are by contacting them.

I guess I might just have been spoiled with my interactions in the past, but they're slipping a bit.

Just had my first unsatisfying interaction with Amazon customer service.  We've had a few items come a day late recently, and I haven't complained. But I bought something that was supposed to get here Tuesday, isn't here yet and there's no option to see tracking info like there usually would be.  Online chat worked well for me in the past, and I was watching a show with the wife, so I went that route.  The agent basically just said sorry, it should get there tomorrow.  She made me complain about it being unacceptable and that I probably would have bought it somewhere else if I had known it would have taken this long.  She just said sorry again and sent canned explanations about the shipping process, different shipping options I might have chosen, how the item has to be in stock otherwise the date given to me would be later than 2-day, how they might have had to wait for the item to arrive to them first, etc.  None of that applied to my purchase, which was "fulfilled by Amazon", marked as in stock, and I was given that guaranteed date at checkout.  After I pointed that out, she finally offered 20% refund - it was only a $13 item, so not much (and I wasn't expecting much), but that wasn't really the point to me.  In the past, they've been quick to offer something more than "sorry about that" before you complain more than you already are by contacting them.

I guess I might just have been spoiled with my interactions in the past, but they're slipping a bit.
This has been my experience lately too. They never offer me any kind of refund, no matter how small, when stuff is late. They would offer it up right away in the past. Not anymore. Looks like the monopoly is just about complete.

This has been my experience lately too. They never offer me any kind of refund, no matter how small, when stuff is late. They would offer it up right away in the past. Not anymore. Looks like the monopoly is just about complete.
Trying to maximize that profit for Jeff and the other stockholders.  

Is there a good way to set  up my Prime account so my kids can both use our Prime music service with their Echos and watch prime video on their kindles?  Right now, they are both basically signing in as me and setting up their kindles and echos as though they are me.  That's not working so well for us anymore.  Is there a family setting where we can stay separate but all use the same account, or do they each have to pay separately for Prime Music if we all want to use it?

Setting up my kids' Echos and chatting online with a series of 4 different Amazon tech help people in India, it appears the answer is my 15 year old and 9 year old each need their own separate Amazon Prime accounts. So we have to pay for 3 prime accounts and 3 separate music accounts.  Can that be right?  

Is there a good way to set  up my Prime account so my kids can both use our Prime music service with their Echos and watch prime video on their kindles?  Right now, they are both basically signing in as me and setting up their kindles and echos as though they are me.  That's not working so well for us anymore.  Is there a family setting where we can stay separate but all use the same account, or do they each have to pay separately for Prime Music if we all want to use it?
https://www.amazon.com/myh/households

Sadly no to music

Situation: Bought a pair of noise canceling headphones. Went the cheaper route and bought from a  small  company.  For as often as I will use them I can't see myself spending the big money. Company includes a $10 gift card in the package, but will honor it only if you give them a 5-star review. 

Feels super slimy to me and invalidates the ratings in my opinion. Am I off base here? Should Amazon allow this continue?

Email I just sent to Amazon customer service:

Hey there, 

I was asked to forward this email exchange to your department along with the details of problem as I see it.

I purchased a set of noise canceling headphones on Amazon. ORDER # ###-#######-#######.

When I received the item there was a $10 gift card in the box. I attached a front and back pic of the card. This company is bribing customers with $10 for a 5 star review. That's embarrassing, but apparently its working as they intended. The headphones are fine, but the two cords they ship with the item and the carrying case are sort of silly. I posted my honest review. When I followed the instructions on the card and shared my review with this company I was informed that their policy is to award the $10 only for 5 star reviews.

Seriously? Customers rely on the ratings to evaluate the enormous volume of available products. If Amazon is going to allow this practice the ratings mean nothing. If Amazon is going to allow this policy it will act to serve as an endorsement of the policy. My past experiences with Amazon lead me to believe this isn't the case. 

Thank you for investigating this situation.

--

Hooper31

Email from company in question:

Date: Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: Gift Card Claim # ###-#######-#######

Dear customer,

Thank you for your email. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Your review is live on Amazon page but it is a 4 star. Could you please update it to a 5 star review?

Our policy is to issue gift card only for 5-star review.

Thank you for your understanding in this case.

Situation: Bought a pair of noise canceling headphones. Went the cheaper route and bought from a  small  company.  For as often as I will use them I can't see myself spending the big money. Company includes a $10 gift card in the package, but will honor it only if you give them a 5-star review. 

Feels super slimy to me and invalidates the ratings in my opinion. Am I off base here? Should Amazon allow this continue?

Email I just sent to Amazon customer service:

Email from company in question:
I’d change it to a one star, tell everyone why and forget about the lousy ten bucks. 

My wife got a bunch of free stuff over the course of a year or so from a company in exchange for reviews.  They were good products and she rated them honestly, and that meant 5 stars.  Then they sent something that wasn't as good, and she wrote a review giving them 3 stars and saying people would be better served buying one of that company's other products.  That was the end of getting free stuff... which was totally fine with us.

If you're not already, use fakespot https://www.fakespot.com.

That’s what I did, but my main concern is the reliability of the ratings. I want Amazon to actively try and make them something we can rely on. 
This has been going on for a long time already. Chinese companies have found other ways to manipulate Amazon listings as well. It’s become extremely difficult to search for legitimate products and be confident that you’re buying a quality product if you don’t already know about what you’re looking for. 

Even worse, the way that Amazon tracks, or rather doesn’t track, stock is highly concerning. Say Amazon lists a 64GB memory card from a well known manufacturer. Third party companies can then send in their batches of that product to Amazon and Amazon just dumps them all into one giant bin together. Then you go on Amazon and buy that memory card but you choose Amazon as the seller rather than that third party. Well, Amazon just goes into that bin and grabs a memory card. Where it came from doesn’t matter. And there’s the problem: companies have been sending in all sorts of fraudulent products to Amazon and they get shipped out as legit products sold by Amazon or any other retailer selling that product on Amazon. So choosing Amazon as the seller isn’t even a way to assure that you’re getting a legit product.

I’ve got to the point where I’m buying less and less from Amazon because I not only can’t trust the quality in any way, but their prices aren’t even all that great when comparing the same products with other retailers anymore.

I've always thought half the reviews on amazon and yelp are total BS. You see these overly cheery, multi-paragraph reviews for things like spatulas. Who the hell would write that?

I still trust amazon reviews, but will generally read a few (the amount depends on how expensive/important it is). The fake ones aren't hard to spot. 

Also their return policy makes it easy to remedy. If the product is bad, they're eating the cost to return it. Eventually bad product will work itself out. 

Setting up my kids' Echos and chatting online with a series of 4 different Amazon tech help people in India, it appears the answer is my 15 year old and 9 year old each need their own separate Amazon Prime accounts. So we have to pay for 3 prime accounts and 3 separate music accounts.  Can that be right?  
I don't have it but you can get Amazon Music Unlimited without a Prime membership. It's 7.99 a month I think for an individual, and they had a family plan but can't remember the rate on that one. I also seem to remember, though, there were some restrictions on how many people could stream concurrently on the "family" plan they had, which is what kept me from doing it. So you might check into that. They may have changed it since the last time I looked it up. I tried looking it up just now, but can't find the page that has all the rates for the plans.

How does getting the music work?  App on my phone?  How is their library?  How would I get that in my car?

Thanks,

Idiot
Yes. Download the Amazon Music app. Enter your prime credentials and you’re good to go. No commercials. 

You get most songs free, but not all. They have Unlimited for $7.99 a month, but I don’t think it’s worth it, at least to me. 

Does Amazon Prime offer free music??

I have Prime and still have yet to watch a movie from it.  No idea how to get that on my TV.
Yes. Amazon Prime Music is free with your Prime account. The catch is that it doesn't have quite as large a selection as the Music Unlimited subscription does, but it's still pretty damn good for being free. You can stream via browser, mobile app, or home assistant devices 

How does getting the music work?  App on my phone?  How is their library?  How would I get that in my car?

Thanks,

Idiot
Yes they have an app. If your phone connects to your car, it should play through there. You can also "download" songs on the Amazon Music app, to listen in Offline mode, like if you have no cell signal or not connected to Wifi. Basically, it stores them within the Amazon Music app. You open the app, switch it to Offline Mode and that limits your selections to only the songs you have downloaded. 

Nathan R. Jessep said:
You can also "download" songs on the Amazon Music app, to listen in Offline mode, like if you have no cell signal or not connected to Wifi. Basically, it stores them within the Amazon Music app. You open the app, switch it to Offline Mode and that limits your selections to only the songs you have downloaded. 
This is great for when you are travelling and just want to throw your seat in full recline mode on the airplane and chill.

Users who are viewing this thread