What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Soulfly3 said:
These ideas that the NFL cares about the comparison between Rice's and Gordon's suspensions are foolish. That would be a non-story in about half a day. That wouldn't even cause a scratch on the machine that is the NFL.
That's a matter of opinion. I suspect most marketing and public relations professionals would consider your stance "foolish," or at least naive.
Besides, can you imagine the headlines on the cover of Cosmo?!???
There are these cool new sites the kids are using these days called Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. You should check them out.

Soulfly3 said:
These ideas that the NFL cares about the comparison between Rice's and Gordon's suspensions are foolish. That would be a non-story in about half a day. That wouldn't even cause a scratch on the machine that is the NFL.
That's a matter of opinion. I suspect most marketing and public relations professionals would consider your stance "foolish," or at least naive.
It was released that the NFL wants to be paid for the Superbowl half-time show. That is publicity that reaches far beyond a football fan and more detrimental than a suspension comparison between two players that most people don't know.

In the grand scheme, Rice and Gordon are nobodies. A Rice and Gordon suspension comparison is mainly something the hardcore NFL fans would know or care about.

I would bet the farm that the NFL has never approached the hearing officer and said..."Hey Harold, go easy on Josh Gordon because we went easy on Ray Rice and do not want comparisons between the two suspensions".

It was released that the NFL wants to be paid for the Superbowl half-time show. That is publicity that reaches far beyond a football fan and more detrimental than a suspension comparison between two players that most people don't know.
Yeah,

"NFL Wants to be Paid for Superbowl Halftime Show"

is worse than

"NFL Cares More About Weed Smoking than Spouse Beating"

or

"Hitting a Bong = 16 Game Suspension, Hitting your Fiancee = 2 Game Suspension."

:rolleyes:

Soulfly3 said:

In the grand scheme, Rice and Gordon are nobodies. A Rice and Gordon suspension comparison is mainly something the hardcore NFL fans would know or care about.

I would bet the farm that the NFL has never approached the hearing officer and said..."Hey Harold, go easy on Josh Gordon because we went easy on Ray Rice and do not want comparisons between the two suspensions".
Probably safe to assume nobody has said that verbatim... but I'd bet the farm that someone has said "I see a lot of people on Twitter, ESPN etc. talking about how we gave Rice a slap on the wrist for going Chris Brown on his wife and we're talking about giving Gordon a suspension for a full year just for smoking some pot."

Not said to sway the result either way but if you really think it isn't something they've considered when every major sports media outlet has mentioned it then you're just being ignorant.

Soulfly3 said:

The suggestion that this would even remotely be considered is laughable. He still gets a year. Delay is due to preparing for any potential legal challenges, which I am certain Gordon's team has made explicit. But he still gets full year. No deal. No reduction. Business as agreed upon in collective bargaining.

Yeah,

is worse than

or

"Hitting a Bong = 16 Game Suspension, Hitting your Fiancee = 2 Game Suspension."

The half time superbowl show news is getting publicity on local radio stations and on local news and in media not related to sports. Those suspensions will never have that type of reach.

Yeah,

is worse than

or

While I agree and hope those are all headlines afterwards... I doubt they will be for one main reason.

The sports world didn't implode after the Rice decision came down. Yeah, people complained said it was a slap on the wrist. But the NFL lost no sleep over the matter. Suspending Gordon for 16 won't change that fact. It's true, neither has anything to do with the other. While common sense leads us to believe this would be a big deal, and it should be. It won't. If a big deal was going to be made over Rice getting 2 games for beating his wife, it would've happened the minute the decision was handed down. Adding Gordon's result on top of it is unlikely to change any outrage.

Soulfly3 said:

Probably safe to assume nobody has said that verbatim... but I'd bet the farm that someone has said "I see a lot of people on Twitter, ESPN etc. talking about how we gave Rice a slap on the wrist for going Chris Brown on his wife and we're talking about giving Gordon a suspension for a full year just for smoking some pot."

Not said to sway the result either way but if you really think it isn't something they've considered when every major sports media outlet has mentioned it then you're just being ignorant.
The appeal officer is the only one who matters. The NFL can say it internally all they want. I am sure their publicity experts are even preparing for it, but they have not said it to the appeals officer himself.

Noone knows who Josh Gordon is...

Noone but the hardcore know who he is...

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=josh%20gordon&src=typd

Welcome to technology, folks.
LOL. You mean if you search for someone's name that results will show up?

At your noon hour, go ask 100 people on the street (outside of Ohio) who Josh Gordon is and I would wager 10 or less people know.
You have NO idea what Twitter is, do you?

Nor do you have ANY CLUE what you were just looking at, do you?

Thought not.

:lmao: at anyone actually believing that any of this offseason nonsense / suspensions / etc have an impact on the league as a whole or the brand. I seriously don't understand how anyone could really believe that. None of it matters at all to the league.

At your noon hour, go ask 100 people on the street (outside of Ohio) who Josh Gordon is and I would wager 10 or less people know.

Thought not.
I am very familiar with Twitter, and aware that your link is a timeline of a search of "josh gordon".

If I am mistaken, please correct me and teach me the ways of Twitter.

Next time you want to prove your point you should put a link of a google search for "josh gordon". That would show me.

Thought not.
I am very familiar with Twitter, and aware that your link is a timeline of a search of "josh gordon".

Next time you want to prove your point you should put a link of a google search for "josh gordon". That would show me.
So, every minute of every day, folks (regular folks, not all NFL junkies) are talking about josh gordon.

but he's a nobody?

k

Faust said:
Yeah, he looked to me as though he had the "Who gives a ####, I'm not playing this year anyway attitude"
Right. He should dive for balls at his feet in preseason. What a slacker.
So his own coach didnt like the lack of effort, but you think it was justified?
I just love me some guys like you in my league that discount Gordon, because he doesn't try hard in, ... Practice.

Coach is saying all the right things, it's just a dance. Gordon is his best player, and everyone knows it.

Faust said:
Yeah, he looked to me as though he had the "Who gives a ####, I'm not playing this year anyway attitude"
Right. He should dive for balls at his feet in preseason. What a slacker.
So his own coach didnt like the lack of effort, but you think it was justified?
I just love me some guys like you in my league that discount Gordon, because he doesn't try hard in, ... Practice.

Coach is saying all the right things, it's just a dance. Gordon is his best player, and everyone knows it.
How is that lack of effort going to affect him when he has a year away from football?

Wait...

Folks think Gordon "slacking" in practice is........... new?
Let's be honest.

It doesn't matter if Josh Gordon tells Pettine to "f off" in practice. IF he gets off (or gets less than a year), he will be starting at WR for the Cleveland Browns the first chance he can.

There's no sense in arguing that point (but we will, b/c that is what this thread seems to be for.)

Wait...

Folks think Gordon "slacking" in practice is........... new?
Let's be honest.

It doesn't matter if Josh Gordon tells Pettine to "f off" in practice. IF he gets off (or gets less than a year), he will be starting at WR for the Cleveland Browns the first chance he can.

There's no sense in arguing that point (but we will, b/c that is what this thread seems to be for.)
Not a question in the world.

Thought not.

So, every minute of every day, folks (regular folks, not all NFL junkies) are talking about josh gordon.

but he's a nobody?

k
I didn't realize you were able to classify every person who mentioned Josh Gordon between regular folks or NFL junkies simply based on their tweet. Amazing.

Are you aware of the population of the United States and the number of twitter users and those who talk about Josh Gordon? The % is absolutely miniscule.

I didn't realize you were able to classify every person who mentioned Josh Gordon between regular folks or NFL junkies simply based on their tweet. Amazing.
Are you aware of the population of the United States and the number of twitter users and those who talk about Josh Gordon? The % is absolutely miniscule.
Listen, you can ignore the fact that his name is blowing up on Twitter, and has been for ages.

If that fits your agenda, cool.

But you look like a chump thinking noone knows who he is.

Saw this comment on another board that makes sense:

There has not been, nor will there be, negotiation because either the NFL voids the suspension based on secondhand smoke, inconsistent testing procedures, faulty equipment, etc., or an Ohio state court voids the suspension because Gordon did not fail a drug test under Ohio law. I think the NFL would just prefer to keep this out of state court.

Either way, Gordon plays the entire season. And no, Gordon does not then get suspended for the DUI. That gets plead down to reckless driving and have yet to hear of a first-time offender under the personal conduct policy getting suspended for a reckless driving citation.

Thought not.
People who care enough about Josh Gordon to write about him. Tiny percentage compared to the 60+ million U.S. Twitter users.

There has not been, nor will there be, negotiation because either the NFL voids the suspension based on secondhand smoke, inconsistent testing procedures, faulty equipment, etc., or an Ohio state court voids the suspension because Gordon did not fail a drug test under Ohio law. I think the NFL would just prefer to keep this out of state court.

Either way, Gordon plays the entire season. And no, Gordon does not then get suspended for the DUI. That gets plead down to reckless driving and have yet to hear of a first-time offender under the personal conduct policy getting suspended for a reckless driving citation.
Oh, c'mon.

Yeah,

is worse than

or

I must have missed all the "NFL Cares Three Times More About Smoking Weed Than Spouse Beating" headlines when Rice was suspended for two games shortly after Will Hill was suspended for 6 games under the substance abuse policy.

Listen, you can ignore the fact that his name is blowing up on Twitter, and has been for ages.

If that fits your agenda, cool.

But you look like a chump thinking noone knows who he is.
Just because you like Josh Gordon and are a big NFL fan does not mean everyone else is. Keep living in your Josh Gordon world and assuming everyone is like you.

He failed a drug test under NFL rules. Ohio law is nice and all, but not relevant, which is why that comment does NOT make sense. I really doubt Gordon is the first guy to ever BARELY fail a test. Only a guess on my part, I admit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's also be done arguing the Ray Rice angle.

1. The further away we get from Rice's suspension, the less it factors.

2. Barring an unlikely league office insider leak, we'll never know who was actually right about this issue.

Both sides have reasoned their case to death at this point and the argument has become painfully circular.

Only 16 percent of US adults use twitter. A large percentage of them are in the 18-29 yr age. That age group represent less that 5% of the wealth in the US. Of the small percent left, only a fraction of them use twitter to follow the NFL.

I can almost guarantee you the NFL understands this and therefore puts very little weight on Twitter today.

I am pretty sure your "twitter blowing up" argument means close to nothing
I posted from my phone and f'd this post up the first time. I am trying to fix from my phone which is a #####@, so hopefully this worked
almost pointless.

posting from your phone on this forum is worse than hemorrhoids

Really don't want to get in the middle of a really dumb argument, but you might wanna edit that post, Bazinga, because it reads like you think the NFL doesn't really think much of Twitter.

Twitter is a monster. And every league, in fact every business with a public profile knows EXACTLY is happening on Twitter.

Yeah,

is worse than

or

Your headlnies are fantasy. How many times does this need to be said?

^

that argument is done.

there are obviously some here who think Twitter is just a social fad and has no bearing on the NFL, or its success

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: at anyone actually believing that any of this offseason nonsense / suspensions / etc have an impact on the league as a whole or the brand. I seriously don't understand how anyone could really believe that. None of it matters at all to the league.
The "can you think of the headlines" guy is trying hard to cook something up, but nothing is there.

Only 16 percent of US adults use twitter. A large percentage of them are in the 18-29 yr age. That age group represent less that 5% of the wealth in the US. Of the small percent left, only a fraction of them use twitter to follow the NFL.

I can almost guarantee you the NFL understands this and therefore puts very little weight on Twitter today.

This is a faulty argument because it assumes twitter exists in a vacuum. Its not necessarily the response on twitter that's significant, it's the mainstream media's obsession with reporting the response on twitter that makes "twitter blowing up" significant.

This is a faulty argument because it assumes twitter exists in a vacuum. Its not necessarily the response on twitter that's significant, it's the mainstream media's obsession with reporting the response on twitter that makes "twitter blowing up" significant.
Exactly. Twitter matters because you can't name a NFL professional who isn't active on twitter. And you'd probably be hard pressed to find one who isn't talking about Josh Gordon. The mainstream media uses it beyond all belief. Twitter is just a confirmation of what everyone is saying which is that Josh Gordon is a more household name than people think.

Users who are viewing this thread