What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

It was the best of threads, it was the worst of threads, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, FREE JOSH GORDON!
:lmao:

My league hasn't updated yet. I just want to go to bed knowing if I got him or not so I can dream about all the money I will be making.

Rapaport just said on air that his suspension could be 'reduced'. Now if they give him 8 games , that's a disaster to those going all in on these waivers tonight or last night.
90.2% of my budget because why the #### not?
I went $958 in the FPC.
Hope you're not in my league, I went $959. Ha
I see what you did there.
Nah. This was my worst team of the bunch. By far. Figured he was worth the gamble. The other leagues I went alot less which means I won't get him in any I'm sure. I drafted him in 1 at least

These bids are crazy. Some dude spent 522/422 on Crowell/Hurns! What the....
Only one of my leagues has updated so far, but one guy spent $990 combined for Forsett/Burns. Paul Niles went in that same league for $312, which seems crazy to me.
Did u bid on him for your IV team? If so, I can tell u right now if u have a chance.
I did but I don't have a chance. I was hoping folks wouldn't be going all in because there is still uncertainty, but I guess not based on what I've read here.

All you ####ers drafting him now are going to screw this up for the rest of us who already had him. There is almost no chance he is coming back now, bastards.

Only one of my leagues has updated so far, but one guy spent $990 combined for Forsett/Burns. Paul Niles went in that same league for $312, which seems crazy to me.
Did u bid on him for your IV team? If so, I can tell u right now if u have a chance.
I did but I don't have a chance. I was hoping folks wouldn't be going all in because there is still uncertainty, but I guess not based on what I've read here.
Wow u got him the cheapest of all my leagues. Not bad

Wow, got him for $703 in my 3rd league. Guess not everyone was all in! Can't believe over 70% of my budget seems cheap. :) Really hope he gets reinstated, lol.

Wow u got him the cheapest of all my leagues. Not bad
Ugh, got him in both leagues he was available in. Now he's definitely out for the year.

I'm in 4 FFPC leagues. The first was on 8/14 and he was grabbed in the 10th round. Two last week I grabbed him in the 19th round. My other league I totally forgot about him and took Andre Roberts in round 20. I just got him in that league for $956. OUCH! So I have him in 3 of 4 leagues so he is sure to miss the whole season.

Looks like with the new FFPC site you can't see what others bid on him and I am curious how much I over bid.

I'm in 4 FFPC leagues. The first was on 8/14 and he was grabbed in the 10th round. Two last week I grabbed him in the 19th round. My other league I totally forgot about him and took Andre Roberts in round 20. I just got him in that league for $956. OUCH! So I have him in 3 of 4 leagues so he is sure to miss the whole season.

Looks like with the new FFPC site you can't see what others bid on him and I am curious how much I over bid.
Judging from some of the leagues I've see, likely ~$200 as some "experts" were recommending 70-80% of the budget.

dschuler said:
People laughed and mocked me for drafting him a month ago. Those same people have sent me trade offers. Suckas!
Guy in one of my leagues drafted him with his 4th rd pick... we laughed... A week later I joked how his 4th rd receiver is washing cars for a living.. he drops him... 2 days later this story breaks and I own him... Vicious cycle lol

Wow I'm shocked at the amount of FAAB $$$ being thrown around for Gordon. I was happy to pick him up for free on opening night, but spending this kind of $$$ seems a bit reckless.

But it has me thinking I should at least float out some crazy trade offers to see if someone bites.

Going to be a weird fantasy year because of this issue. Gordon owners took a hard hit in or survivor leagues this week.

The craziest part of this whole conversation is the report that if they dont figure this out by next Tuesday they are wiling to say F it wait for next year? seems arbitrary

nobody cares, but im following this thread because i have a deal on the table in my auction redraft keep 2 for 2015 only that gets me dez and gordon ($1) for my calvin... so i may be hitting refresh more often than any of you
That's pretty typical in negotiations. It can be a ruse by one side to force the other side toward an agreement in first parties' favor. Or, it could be a way of signalling that certain issues are non-negotiable. And at a certain point, you want to do your job and you will wait until off season to negotiate because it becomes a distraction.

I am skeptical that there is an agreement anytime soon because there are some big issues here.

Gor-Don is going to play again this season. I think the bigger story will be when Ray Rice also plays again this season.

Rapaport just said on air that his suspension could be 'reduced'. Now if they give him 8 games , that's a disaster to those going all in on these waivers tonight or last night.
makes no sense....hes either missing this season or he comes back instantly.
this. Really can't see any other outcome, unless he has another looming suspension that will be handed out now. Either the new standards apply to his case, or they do not. If they do, its no suspension. If they do not apply, then it is 16 games.
Gotta love this topic...

This is all speculation from all sides. We have fantasy fans, waiver wire gold diggers, and marijuana advocates united to free Gordon... Then we have anti-pot people talking about how he broke the rules and should be punished. Then there are the people that weren't quick enough to pick him off waivers who are just salty and don't want him to play because he's not on their roster. This is great.

Salfino was the first to let us know that the vote didn't take place last night and here's what he has to say today.... Which camp do you think I'm with?

Mortensen says again w/out equivocation Gordon SPECIFICALLY will, repeat WILL, be among those immediately reinstated. Progress on deal made.

— Michael Salfino (@MichaelSalfino) September 10, 2014
Since Rapoport essentially works for the league I think his reports carry extra weight.

Gordon's test being in the 2013 league year is very problematic and I think 8 games may be the best we can hope for.
NFLPA hasn't received league's response to latest edits on drug policy. Game tomorrow. So, rep vote now unlikely before Friday.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/509848877998960640
Guarantee Gordon will get something. Either 4,6 or 8 games.
I have to believe the NFLPA wants Gordon playing and the NFL wants HGH testing (and probably Gordon on the field as well). People really think the NFL is going to haggle about Gordon? I'm failing to see the reasons here outside of grumps who don't have him on their fantasy team right now.
It's pretty amazing how this keeps progressing, now the discussion is how many games he plays, not if he plays. I originally was hoping or expecting 8 games from Gordon (which I would have been very happy with, honestly who are you spending your FAAB budget on in week 9 that will have this much impact?), but now I'm thinking Rog & Co. would like to get out of Dodge with a W and just not talk about suspensions for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Ray Rice issue can only help Gordon as the NFL dropping the ball gives more leverage to the NFLPA.
This is what I concluded last night. Rog & the NFL need a "win". - Not just with the public, the waters have been poisoned with the players.
Still confused here. Reinstating a guy busted for duo is going to resonate well with the public?
It is more about the tolerance level of the test. I had no idea, until now, how much lower it is than even for the Olympics. Also, considering the decriminalization the NFL might as well be shouting "Get off my lawn!!!"

This Ray Rice issue can only help Gordon as the NFL dropping the ball gives more leverage to the NFLPA.
This is what I concluded last night. Rog & the NFL need a "win". - Not just with the public, the waters have been poisoned with the players.
Still confused here. Reinstating a guy busted for duo is going to resonate well with the public?
It is more about the tolerance level of the test. I had no idea, until now, how much lower it is than even for the Olympics. Also, considering the decriminalization the NFL might as well be shouting "Get off my lawn!!!"
I want Gordon Welker back as much as the next guy. If this doesn't get done soon they won't be able to proportionally reduce suspensions which could create an issue.

People who aren't personally interested in this (ffer's, hard core NFL fans, etc) aren't going to care if the NFL threshold is much lower than the Olympics.

From a publicity standpoint, the general public is going to see the NFL allowing players who WERE suspended for drug use allowed back before their suspensions are up. IMO, most of the general public won't care about this, but they definitely aren't going to go "well the NFL is completely ###-backwards with regards to important issues like domestic abuse, but at least they understand that players should be able to smoke a little bit of weed, and use amphetamines in the off-season, so I guess I'm satisfied."

That's just an absurd conclusion to try to draw, and just another example of Gordon-ites going to ridiculous lengths to try to find substance to their belief that Gordon will be allowed to play in 2014.

If this policy gets changed, and if the new policy is applied retroactively, it's not b/c the NFL wants Gordon back on the field, and it's not because the NFL needs a public image "win;" it's because they wanted to get the HGH testing in, and lifting the suspensions was one of the concessions they had to make.

People who aren't personally interested in this (ffer's, hard core NFL fans, etc) aren't going to care if the NFL threshold is much lower than the Olympics. From a publicity standpoint, the general public is going to see the NFL allowing players who WERE suspended for drug use allowed back before their suspensions are up. IMO, most of the general public won't care about this, but they definitely aren't going to go "well the NFL is completely ###-backwards with regards to important issues like domestic abuse, but at least they understand that players should be able to smoke a little bit of weed, and use amphetamines in the off-season, so I guess I'm satisfied."

That's just an absurd conclusion to try to draw, and just another example of Gordon-ites going to ridiculous lengths to try to find substance to their belief that Gordon will be allowed to play in 2014.

If this policy gets changed, and if the new policy is applied retroactively, it's not b/c the NFL wants Gordon back on the field, and it's not because the NFL needs a public image "win;" it's because they wanted to get the HGH testing in, and lifting the suspensions was one of the concessions they had to make.
the win is hgh testing

People who aren't personally interested in this (ffer's, hard core NFL fans, etc) aren't going to care if the NFL threshold is much lower than the Olympics. From a publicity standpoint, the general public is going to see the NFL allowing players who WERE suspended for drug use allowed back before their suspensions are up. IMO, most of the general public won't care about this, but they definitely aren't going to go "well the NFL is completely ###-backwards with regards to important issues like domestic abuse, but at least they understand that players should be able to smoke a little bit of weed, and use amphetamines in the off-season, so I guess I'm satisfied."

the win is hgh testing
As already stated, that's not a "publicity" win.

The general public doesn't care if NFL players are tested for HGH.

The general public isn't going to say "the NFL is weak on domestic abuse, but they are getting tough on HGH, so it's all good."

HGH testing isn't going to counter-act the negative publicity of the Rice situation.

I agree - the whole Ray Rice scenario has consumed the audience's attention, and nothing will be gained, from a PR perspective, to getting this deal done.

I now am beginning to think the only way this gets done, is if the players get significant concessions from the owners on the testing/punishment issue. The owners, would probably be best served to table discussions until a time when they, and the commissioner's office, are less vulnerable, and less distracted than they are right now. Doing any kind of deal right now seems like bad business.

I agree - the whole Ray Rice scenario has consumed the audience's attention, and nothing will be gained, from a PR perspective, to getting this deal done.

I now am beginning to think the only way this gets done, is if the players get significant concessions from the owners on the testing/punishment issue. The owners, would probably be best served to table discussions until a time when they, and the commissioner's office, are less vulnerable, and less distracted than they are right now. Doing any kind of deal right now seems like bad business.
Potential changes aren't being made for the audience. A scandal shouldn't keep an organization from conducting business.

Potential changes aren't being made for the audience. A scandal shouldn't keep an organization from conducting business.
On a major deal, that deserves the undivided attention of the parties to the deal, making a decision while distracted is bad business - it leads to less than an optimal deal, either because the commissioner's office, or the NFL owners, are distracted, or feeling pressure from the players caused by the scandal.

Time is not of the essence for this deal - it has been in the works for 3 years already - so rushing through a less-than-optimal deal at this point seems foolhardy.

ETA - I have Gordon, and really want the deal to go through, but I am becoming less optimistic as the Rice Investigation scandal gains momentum.

The point is that recently, a number of posters (most seem to be Gordon owners) are suggesting that the NFL NEED to get this deal done, as a publicity "WIN" to counteract the negative pub they've gotten recently with the Rice situation. They're using this as support for their belief that the NFL will give in to the NFLPA and allow suspended players to have their suspension lifted under a new policy.

The fact is that a new drug policy isn't going to counter-act the bad press they've gotten from the Rice situation, so that's just a ridiculous argument.

The two sides don't seem like they are agreeing on the key issues, and the belief that the NFL will cave for some "good press" doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread