What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is the Josh Gordon thread for news and real talk. Officially listed in the Player Thread Index. 

On the 23rd Goodell said he set time aside for the Gordon reinstatement "in a week". That would have been last week or early this week. I expect to hear something by the end of this week. Certainly before the draft. 

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is the Josh Gordon thread for news and real talk. Officially listed in the Player Thread Index. 

On the 23rd Goodell said he set time aside for the Gordon reinstatement "in a week". That would have been last week or early this week. I expect to hear something by the end of this week. Certainly before the draft. 
GL with that. Good(riddance)ell is too busy "making the owners money" to make any sense or be consistent in any way. 

When KC appealed the tampering charge for Maclin(a 3rd this year, and a 6th next) Goodell said....

“I do not know if it’s scheduled yet,” Goodell said, via the Kansas City Star. “I know they did appeal and will accommodate the date. I do expect I will hear it. I haven’t thought of any other alternatives at this point in time. It’s an important policy to us. It’s important from a competitive standpoint, so I expect I will hear it, and if they would like to do it in advance of the draft, we’ll do it then.”

Is he tone deaf or just really stupid? Yeah, well KC may want to wait until the draft is over before they get a ruling on the appeal. Good deductive reasoning there Roger. People trying to defend this guy are just gross. I guess the inference is it won't really matter either way.

I think Josh Morgan might have a better chance of getting re-instated if washes Goodell's car. Cleans his pool. Maybe shines his shoes. Roger may come down from the mountain top with a couple of stone tablets before the draft. Almost $50mil/season sure doesn't get your the level of customer service it once did.

I think Josh Morgan Gordon might have a better chance of getting re-instated if washes Goodell's car. Cleans his pool. Maybe shines his shoes. Roger may come down from the mountain top with a couple of stone tablets before the draft. Almost $50mil/season sure doesn't get your the level of customer service it once did.
Or, he could stop hanging in clubs and getting tattoos with an alcoholic drug addict. Either one, I guess.

Just make your point.  

Has anyone in the history of the internet ever asked a leading question, gotten the answer he wanted, then dropped his crushing logic bomb, and had everyone change their mind?

When Goodell first came in and started with his authoritarian routine I was actually okay with it because the league looked to really need an injection of some serious discipline.  And he was effective initially (look at Florio's days without an arrest meter, I am pretty sure off field incidents are way down).  But at this point he seems to be on a crusade for an impossible 0% infractions by anyone associated with the shield and he has become blinded to the common sense cases.  Sorry but unless the league specifically stipulated who JG could or could not spend time with, hanging out with Manziel is entirely irrelevant to the issue of whether or not JG is staying clean and living up to the requirements for being reinstated.  It makes Goodell seem either petty or clueless.  Neither look good on the NFL commissioner.

It must be particularly frustrating as a fan of the Browns in this case because, what if he doesn't make a ruling before the draft?  That is essentially a punishment to the team for no good reason at all. 

Or, he could stop hanging in clubs and getting tattoos with an alcoholic drug addict. Either one, I guess.
Of course he could, and he probably should but only for perception which really isn't a great reason on a human level.

So long as he stays clean, who he hangs out with is irrelevant.

Honest question... Is Manziel eligible to sign for any NFL team at this moment?
Honest question....has any team at all expressed any interest in Manziel?

As I said in the other thread, hanging out with Manziel alone will not likely derail his reinstatement application, but it's not a great choice for Gordon at this stage.

Honest question....has any team at all expressed any interest in Manziel?

As I said in the other thread, hanging out with Manziel alone will not likely derail his reinstatement application, but it's not a great choice for Gordon at this stage.
"Not likely derail" - See, here's what I don't understand. The guy (Manziel) is eligible to play for ANY nfl team that decides to sign him. 

Yet, Gordon needs to avoid him for the sake of his reinstatement.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the notion that he SHOULD be more careful who he is around at a time like this - I am fully disagreeing with the notion that he needs to avoid a player who can be playing in the NFL/taking part in OTAs as of today, if signed. 

If Manziel is someone who can derail and end someone's career, merely by hanging out with them... Then Manziel shouldnt be allowed in the NFL, ever. 

not until it's legalized federally.
Define legal.

IMO, the NFL will reach a point where the weed testing protocols will officially stay on the books, but they won't test for it anymore. Essentially, they will look the other way unless someone is just consistently in another astral plane 24/7.

"Not likely derail" - See, here's what I don't understand. The guy (Manziel) is eligible to play for ANY nfl team that decides to sign him. 

Yet, Gordon needs to avoid him for the sake of his reinstatement.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the notion that he SHOULD be more careful who he is around at a time like this - I am fully disagreeing with the notion that he needs to avoid a player who can be playing in the NFL/taking part in OTAs as of today, if signed. 

If Manziel is someone who can derail and end someone's career, merely by hanging out with them... Then Manziel shouldnt be allowed in the NFL, ever. 
There's a good choice Manziel will never play again. His only chance is if Jerry Jones pulls one of his desperation PR moves and signs him.  Teams aren't even considering Manziel until they find out how long he'll be suspended for beating his girlfriend up and doing the whole smoking weed with the blonde wig disguise.

Define legal.

IMO, the NFL will reach a point where the weed testing protocols will officially stay on the books, but they won't test for it anymore. Essentially, they will look the other way unless someone is just consistently in another astral plane 24/7.
True, guess they could just take out testing for THC in next CBA.  Probably a good idea for them to do it that way.  Doesn't make much sense for the NFL to deal with all these weed related suspensions.

There's a good choice Manziel will never play again. His only chance is if Jerry Jones pulls one of his desperation PR moves and signs him.  Teams aren't even considering Manziel until they find out how long he'll be suspended for beating his girlfriend up and doing the whole smoking weed with the blonde wig disguise.
Well, most reporters think that McCoy wont be getting a suspension for knocking out police officers... Not sure Manziel is going to get suspended for a crime he was never charged with.

As for the weed thing, seen a few players get charged w drug possession, and not get nailed under the Substance Abuse policy, which has ALWAYS blown my mind. If they're caught with it, they're obviously pissing hot. 

Anyways... Manziel will likely face some sort of punishment... But the point remains... If he has the ability to derail someone's career to the point of ending it, just by being around them.. the NFL should have that player banned, indefinitely. Do you not agree?

Well, most reporters think that McCoy wont be getting a suspension for knocking out police officers... Not sure Manziel is going to get suspended for a crime he was never charged with.

As for the weed thing, seen a few players get charged w drug possession, and not get nailed under the Substance Abuse policy, which has ALWAYS blown my mind. If they're caught with it, they're obviously pissing hot. 

Anyways... Manziel will likely face some sort of punishment... But the point remains... If he has the ability to derail someone's career to the point of ending it, just by being around them.. the NFL should have that player banned, indefinitely. Do you not agree?
Ben roethlisberger disagrees with you.

Soulfly3 said:

Manziel doesn't have the power to derail 99% of players' careers just by hanging out with them. But a guy with multiple strikes and suspensions against him who is probably one screwup away from the nfl death penalty, he most certainly does.

Manziel doesn't have the power to derail 99% of players' careers just by hanging out with them. But a guy with multiple strikes and suspensions against him who is probably one screwup away from the nfl death penalty, he most certainly does.
Again, if that player has the POWER to derail Gordon's career, assuming he's pissed clean, stayed clean, no arrests, stayed in shape etc.

THAT player should not be in the league. You can't allow a guy to play in your league, than punish someone who adhered to every detail of his reinstatement, just for spending time with him.

Do you get what I'm saying here?

Again, if that player has the POWER to derail Gordon's career, assuming he's pissed clean, stayed clean, no arrests, stayed in shape etc.

THAT player should not be in the league. You can't allow a guy to play in your league, than punish someone who adhered to every detail of his reinstatement, just for spending time with him.

Do you get what I'm saying here?
I get what you're saying but I don't agree with you. In fact, I don't even think you believe it. I know you have to keep up your Gordon shtick, but there's no way that you don't see how stupid Gordon is for choosing to hang out with Johnny Manziel. He could literally choose anyone in the entire league besides possibly Greg Hardy, and it would be a better choice than Manziel. Bad decisions are the norm with Gordon. They don't always have to involve drugs and alcohol. And how long do you think a guy with Gordon's history is going to be able to hold out from doing drugs and drinking if he's hanging out with a party animal like him? It just shows that Gordon still doesn't get it.

But I said it's probably not a smart move to be hanging with him right now. Multiple times. 

I'm just saying IF the league chose to not reinstate him due to solely for hanging w Johnny, it'd boggle the mind... He is an NFL player.

Weed will not only be legal federally and allowed in the NFL within the decade, it will be ENCOURAGED by the NFL as a preferred painkiller.  It is effective, much less harmful to your body than any other traditional painkiller when taken in pill/candy/vape form, and nowhere near as addictive as traditional painkillers.  Technically weed is NOT addictive, but anything can be addictive to certain people. 

That and when it is legal I will bet you see less bar room brawl incidents by players. 

I am beyond amazed that marijuana is not universally legal, and it is an absolute crying shame it is not legal everywhere for medicinal purposes.  So ####### stupid on that front.

This from someone who does not use marijuana, and had not used it in a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soulfly3 said:
if shady gets pinned, manziel will too. 

if not, why would manziel?
Your premise that you are " Not sure Manziel is going to get suspended for a crime he was never charged with," is flawed.  

Roethlisberger was suspended for a crime for which he was never charged.

Besides that, you are choosing to ignore the point that it doesn't have to be fair.  Goodell has the sole discretion of whether Gordon will get re-instated or not.  Gordon does not have the right to get re-instated.  Even if he shouldn't be penalized for associating with another NFL player, Goodell can do so. And despite your protestations that there's nothing wrong with hanging out with Manziel, it looks bad, and if Goodell decides it looks bad enough for him not to reinstate him, all your protestations that "it isn't fair" won't mean anything.

JuniorNB said:
Why? Are those offenses that can get a player suspended? Or are those offenses that rile up the twitter-sphere that pulls at the strings of emperor goodell?

So what do people think Gordon odds are right now.

My guess.

Reinstatement for 2016 - 80%

Denied - 20%

Do those seem too optimistic or pessimistic?

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
So what do people think Gordon odds are right now.

My guess.

Reinstatement for 2016 - 80%

Denied - 20%

Do those seem too optimistic or pessimistic?
When he first applies for reinstatement, I'd have had it closer to 99% reinstatement.  There have been no arrests, DUIs, arrests, etc.  The delay & Gordon's decision to hang with Manziel give me concern, but I still think he gets back in, although a denial wouldn't be a total shock.

I'd say your guess is as good as any right now.

From the other thread:

dress it however you like, he is a Cleveland Browns player. and you dont get your effing reinstatement revoked by taking a photo w a damn teammate.

Pissing clean, not getting arrested, staying in top shape, and supporting your team and the league throughout your suspensions should be ALL that matters. 

If Josh has to avoid every player/celeb who has even been suspended/arrested, he'll have NOBODY to be around. 

Johnny is, by all accounts doing everything to change his life around, and has apparently been seen at many clubs, completely sober. 

Not a good look, but like you said... We have NO idea if Gordon/Rosenhaus are pitching this to the NFL as a player helping out an ex teammate overcome addictions (which, many of you would like to argue, but Gordon is pissing clean, and have for ages), it could be looked at positively. ?????????? :shock:

If they're just hanging for no good reason (and I highly doubt Drew wouldnt be manipulating this) then we have a problem, since we know Roger is a tuna.
Each of these posts implies, or flat out states, that his hanging out with Manziel doesn't matter (OR IS EVEN A GOOD THING!).

So, OK.

I get what you're saying but I don't agree with you. In fact, I don't even think you believe it. I know you have to keep up your Gordon shtick, but there's no way that you don't see how stupid Gordon is for choosing to hang out with Johnny Manziel. He could literally choose anyone in the entire league besides possibly Greg Hardy, and it would be a better choice than Manziel. Bad decisions are the norm with Gordon. They don't always have to involve drugs and alcohol. And how long do you think a guy with Gordon's history is going to be able to hold out from doing drugs and drinking if he's hanging out with a party animal like him? It just shows that Gordon still doesn't get it.
I don't think it necessarily shows that.  Heaven forbid someone consider that they're friends and that Gordon may actually be trying to *gasp* help and support Johnny during a very difficult time in his life rather than abandon and ostracize him.  I know you are typically a "throw away the key" type with those you consider to be criminals (or just those who don't live to your standards) but there are other, far more effective, ways to deal with troubled people.

Users who are viewing this thread