Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

33 minutes ago, mnmplayer said:

14 games son

And high AF the whole time. Impresssive. 

• Like 3

Just now, Football Jones said:

You mean Gordon was timed this week?

Unless I'm missing the joke.... Yes. Yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

I had heard about a 4.35 during a recent training session, but didn't know he was timed this week.

Edited by Football Jones

21 hours ago, Ojaays said:

Gordon is a freak. Just clicked off a 4.3 40, at his size it's downright unfair. 

I don't know about anybody else, but I play fantasy to win the cash, I don't care how I get there. If Gordon makes an impact in those last few weeks, he can push you over the top if you have him. 

That's how I got hooked. 

He ran a 4.52 on his Pro day. But yeah, Mary Kay Cabot says he ran a 4.3

:banned:

Ive been a football fan since 1967 & I’ve never, ever heard of a team timing a guy’s 40 other than draft evaluation. Is this something common that never gets talked about?

Do guys usually shave 0.22 off their time five years after they leave college?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Ive been a football fan since 1967 & I’ve never, ever heard of a team timing a guy’s 40 other than draft evaluation. Is this something common that never gets talked about?

I was reading somewhere and I believe it was the Panthers that hold events such as the 40 yard dash every year.  It sounded like a mini combine.  I am not sure how common it is though

22 hours ago, Ojaays said:

Gordon is a freak. Just clicked off a 4.3 40, at his size it's downright unfair. 

I don't know about anybody else, but I play fantasy to win the cash, I don't care how I get there. If Gordon makes an impact in those last few weeks, he can push you over the top if you have him. 

That's how I got hooked. 

Gordon cost me cash when he came back a few years ago and I started him every game waiting for his old stats. I'm being more conservative this time. 

1 hour ago, Sebowski said:

Gordon cost me cash when he came back a few years ago and I started him every game waiting for his old stats. I'm being more conservative this time. 

Same here, I'm gonna hold off from starting him til Week 13.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

I do not believe this is accurate information.

4 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I had heard about a 4.35 during a recent training session, but didn't know he was timed this week.

I believe you to be accurate and the team did not test him, ran the alleged 4.3 forty  in Florida at the training facility.

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I don't think so and did not happen in this instance either, see previous comment

I would say with some of the improved training methods that it's possible to shave a little time off, and maybe more than a little time if you are on a fast track, timer error, etc.  But on the flip side I remember a few years ago the NFL held a veterans combine and most of those players ran pitifully slower then at their college combine. Like I recall Felix Jones went from a sub 4.5 guy to around 4.8.

1 minute ago, menobrown said:

I would say with some of the improved training methods that it's possible to shave a little time off, and maybe more than a little time if you are on a fast track, timer error, etc.  But on the flip side I remember a few years ago the NFL held a veterans combine and most of those players ran pitifully slower then at their college combine. Like I recall Felix Jones went from a sub 4.5 guy to around 4.8.

That veteran's combine was for street FAs who didn't have a team. There was a preexisting bias for players who were at the bottom of the NFL talent barrel (whether due to age, injury, or poor work ethic). I think it's misleading to use the "not good enough for the NFL anymore" players to say what might be happening with a player like Gordon.

He readily admits that he used some substance almost every day in the NFL, and that probably included college and combine prep time. I'm pretty sure a re-dedicated clean (assumption) 26 yo elite-among-the-elite athlete can perform as well or better than he did while partying until 4 am and huffing paint before combine training.

5 minutes ago, xrayveggin said:

That veteran's combine was for street FAs who didn't have a team. There was a preexisting bias for players who were at the bottom of the NFL talent barrel (whether due to age, injury, or poor work ethic). I think it's misleading to use the "not good enough for the NFL anymore" players to say what might be happening with a player like Gordon.

He readily admits that he used some substance almost every day in the NFL, and that probably included college and combine prep time. I'm pretty sure a re-dedicated clean (assumption) 26 yo elite-among-the-elite athlete can perform as well or better than he did while partying until 4 am and huffing paint before combine training.

I'm both fully aware of what the veteran combine was and simply relayed how a players tend to get slower.  That is not misleading, that is relaying factual information.

Stating that those players out of a job was due to injury, age or poor work ethic meanwhile is as misleading and not very factual at all.

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

I'm both fully aware of what the veteran combine was and simply relayed how a players tend to get slower.  That is not misleading, that is relaying factual information.

Stating that those players out of a job was due to injury, age or poor work ethic meanwhile is as misleading and not very factual at all.

Felix Jones hadn't played in 2014 and the vet combine was in 2015; Jones never played another down in the NFL because he fell off the talent cliff. Here is a list of participants, so you are right in a way, that in addition to the few NFL talents who dropped off a cliff due to age, injury, or lack of work ethic, it's also includes quite a few never-had-the-talent-to-succeed-in-the-NFL players.

That said, this is a Josh Gordon thread, and it seems reasonable that a clean 26 year old Gordon might be in better shape than the 20 year old Gordon who was likely high during his training sessions and maybe even the combine. Do you disagree with that premise?

2 hours ago, menobrown said:

Son, this kid is Fast.Stop your bickering.

Aren't most athletes, outside of gymnasts, physically superior at 26 than 21?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Gotta start building hype in case the browns just cut him.

Non-combine 40s are about as accurate as most guys penis measurements.

• Like 4

Picked him up dropping Emmanuel Sanders in a standard scoring league.

I wasn't going to start sanders so figured why not.

Edited by rascal

Regardless of what Gordon ran, he plays very fast.

Remember, the 40-yard dash is essentially a track event. Bigger guys with outstanding top end speed like Gordon play faster than their 40 would indicate (whatever it is).

Edited by Football Jones

Picked him up in a contract keeper league the day he was reinstated. I had to drop David Njkou to get him and I'm high on Njkou. No pun intended.

Look sometimes you have to push your chips in the middle and hope you get some luck on the river. If he pans out I have a freak#1 WR. I'll take my chances that I can replace a Njkou.

3 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Non-combine 40s are about as accurate as most guys penis measurements.

You mean you’re not supposed to measure from the taint? :confused:

• Like 1

Also I’m calling bull#### on a 4.3 40. Let’s keep it real here folks. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

Man...the Gordon fan here is cracking out all his aliases. Careful of listening to anything that fan says in regards to Gordon, there has never been such a blind homer of a player on this board. Now, people are allowed to be homers, but I am sure most know that this type is a little different. If a guy so obsessed with Gordon cant bring himself to say a bad thing about a guy who has had this many mistakes...how can you trust anything he says, that and he has multiple alias to jump on the Gordon train. Just want those digesting info to fully understand. Remember how many times this guy said he wouldnt be suspended, and was? What also bothers me, is how can a guy be so obsessed with a player after one year that was 4 years ago? This type of homerism should be made an example of, not condoned as new people to the thread might not understand his clearly extreme bias lean.

Scooping and starting a guy who has been out of the league as long as he has and starting him for fantasy playoffs is careless at the very least and preposterous at most. Regardless of his results, to insert him in the lineup is screaming of fantasy inexperience.

Edited by WheelsUp
  • Like 1

He is eligible to play week 13, right?  Thats the last week of the regular season for me.  I'm on pace for a week 14 bye so ill have two weeks to see if he is even a shell of himself.  If he steps into some high percentage of himself, then ive added a top wr for free right at the most important time of the season.  If not, no biggie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WheelsUp said:

Man...the Gordon fan here is cracking out all his aliases. Careful of listening to anything that fan says in regards to Gordon, there has never been such a blind homer of a player on this board. Now, people are allowed to be homers, but I am sure most know that this type is a little different. If a guy so obsessed with Gordon cant bring himself to say a bad thing about a guy who has had this many mistakes...how can you trust anything he says, that and he has multiple alias to jump on the Gordon train. Just want those digesting info to fully understand. Remember how many times this guy said he wouldnt be suspended, and was? What also bothers me, is how can a guy be so obsessed with a player after one year that was 4 years ago? This type of homerism should be made an example of, not condoned as new people to the thread might not understand his clearly extreme bias lean.

Scooping and starting a guy who has been out of the league as long as he has and starting him for fantasy playoffs is careless at the very least and preposterous at most. Regardless of his results, to insert him in the lineup is screaming of fantasy inexperience.

Who are the aliases in your opinion?

1 hour ago, WheelsUp said:

I'm thinking more of the upside for next season as a potential #1 WR at the ceiling of the situation. My hope is Gordon flashes and Cleveland trades him in the offseason to a good situation. So many questions maybe the shark move is to sell when he flashes(if he does.). Not sure what Cleveland can get for him even if the best case scenario happens for Gordon. You also have to worry that Gordon stays clean between the offseason and next season.

1 hour ago, unckeyherb said:

He is eligible to play week 13, right?  Thats the last week of the regular season for me.  I'm on pace for a week 14 bye so ill have two weeks to see if he is even a shell of himself.  If he steps into some high percentage of himself, then ive added a top wr for free right at the most important time of the season.  If not, no biggie.

Care to elaborate?  I cant imagine like the best real World scenario. However, lets say his first game he more or less suits up.. Maybe sees field on one, maybe two designated plays, not counting garbage Times (Browns 2nd half?) What about second game, He doesn't start but actually plays some, and manage to make an amazing "play". So after the game Coach says "JG will be more involved in upcoming games"...  You starting him that 3rd week?

Edited by Dismattle

6 minutes ago, Dismattle said:

Care to elaborate?  I cant imagine like the best real World scenario. However, lets say his first game he more or less suits up.. Maybe sees field on one, maybe two designated plays, not counting garbage Times (Browns 2nd half?) What about second game, He doesn't start but actually plays some, and manage to make an amazing "play". So after the game Coach says "JG will be more involved in upcoming games"...  You starting him that 3rd week?

No.  

Like I said I'm using weeks 13 and 14 to gauge it.  If he plays a few snaps and doesn't produce, then I won't start him.  If he shows some semblance of his former self, then I'll consider it.  My WR corps consists of starting 2 of Marquis Lee, Amari Cooper and Devante Parker.  Wouldn't be hard for Gordon to supplant a couple of those guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WheelsUp said:

Not a single alias. Not one.

Feel free to ask mods to look into that, if you'd like. And if they find even ONE, ban me. Permanently

I'm actually somewhat aghast/offended by that claim, WheelsUp.

I mean... folks know what they're getting from me, homerism. I'm a Browns fan. and a JG fan. I've never hid this. What I say in this thread is 50% schtick and 50% honest homerism. 

You're getting worked up over some dudes having a laugh on a website for slobs who dont have the ability to play real football, themselves. 

I dunno... I dont get it. Aliases. :lol: What do I need an alias for? 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Not a single alias. Not one.

Feel free to ask mods to look into that, if you'd like. And if they find even ONE, ban me. Permanently

On 12/8/2014 at 7:37 AM, Soulfly3 said:

I hereby solemnly vow the following for Week 15:

I, Soul Caleb Fly III, hereby vow that if Josh Gordon does not end his week 15 game with at least 100yds and a TD (if, and only if Johnny Manziel starts), I will never post again in this thread.

I will leave behind a near half year of memories, and bury them with my heart. You have my word.

Signed,

Soul Caleb Fly III

December 8, 2014.

#NeverForget

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Yeah, I'm calling BS on all of this but then again I'm high AF.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

#NeverForget

The thread needed me. I had to return.

In regards to a permaban, I'd have no choice in the matter,

On 12/21/2014 at 1:16 PM, rockaction said:

I don't even want to bother looking at the past three playoff weeks to see what this guy gave me.

I made a major mistake with this guy. I can chalk up a few bad weeks, but this is nuclear.

Wow. Just…wow.

On 12/21/2014 at 1:21 PM, shadyridr said:

Wasting a roster spot for 11 weeks for THAT payoff is how you lose in FF

Friendly reminder of last time this happened. 

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

What I say in this thread is 50% schtick and 50% honest homerism.

50/50 schtick/homerism? C'mon SF, be honest. More like 95/5 at this point.

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

I'm actually somewhat aghast/offended by that claim, WheelsUp.

I mean... folks know what they're getting from me, homerism. I'm a Browns fan. and a JG fan. I've never hid this. What I say in this thread is 50% schtick and 50% honest homerism. 

You're getting worked up over some dudes having a laugh on a website for slobs who dont have the ability to play real football, themselves. 

I dunno... I dont get it. Aliases. :lol: What do I need an alias for? 

For what it’s worth I’ve always taken you as 80% schtick & 20% homerism, which adds up to 100% entertaining. Plus you’ve been a good sport about getting your chops busted, so respect. :thumbup:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, dickey moe said:

Yeah, I'm calling BS on all of this but then again I'm high AF.

A Josh Gordon sighting everyone! 

At least Kizer can hit the deep ball and the Browns are so terrible they will need to throw a lot. Coleman is coming back too, even muddier waters, if you waste a spot on this guy especially in short bench leagues it makes me flabbergasted to say the least. We will know more after Week 13 and when he can practice. But to put in your fantasy lineups? Chances are if you will do that, you might not make your playoffs anyways with that type of team management. FWIW, I'm aghast/offended that one who publicly said they would not post here again if something didnt happen, and when that didnt happen, he went against his own word and continue to post. While that is your right, it goes completely against your credibility...also, a user which name begins with "O" is an alias. I am not here for your schtick, to even admit to it then be offended by those tired of it and then act all innocent about having alias is kinda odd. Its odder to admit to schtick on a site then accuse others of caring too much to get worked up? People of the internet confuse me. Downplay it, as this site is littered with your angry rants after each suspension from Gordon and those who disagreed. You are not above schitck, but you are above alias for when that schtick gets your account in trouble? But do your thing, I just want to make sure people judge your remarks with the correct credibility. Which honestly, is none on this topic. No hard feelings as I am not getting worked up, just pointing out for those catching the thread late. Thats about all I have on a popular character in this thread who isnt Josh Gordon. I wish the best for Gordon, I have no prob with weed.

Edited by WheelsUp

53 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Oojays is NOT my alias, nor do I know who it is. 

You guys really gotta give that up. 

Oh jeez louise...next thing you'll be telling me is that your real name isn't Soulfly3!

WHAT CAN I BELIEVE ANYMOOOOOOOOOORE!?!?!

Put the pipes down, kids. This is FAKE FOOTBALL.

I Think Wheelsup is Soulfly3's alias :thumbup:

Someone must have pissed in his fruit loops.

Anyway, saying "Chances are if you will do that, you might not make your playoffs anyways with that type of team management"  isn't a fair assessment by any means.  I think its great team management if you have the roster space.  Sometimes talent alone takes over and obviously talent-wise Gordon is special. You can question his mentality all day but you cant question his talent.  Guy has put up MONSTER games when on the field.  He has put up some duds as well (so has MOSS, MEGATRON etc). 

If you have a bye or the space on the bench you pick him up and wait to see how it pans out.  Its not like Cleveland is a WR factory with talent in front of him.  Maybe he plays week 13 and goes 4 for 70.  On playoff bye week 14 he goes 6 for 90.  You bet your ### I'm putting him in my flex week 15.  If I lose because of him its fantasy football, I play to win and I've seen the numbers he has the potential to put up.  Maybe just maybe he comes in and shows some of that talent that he has shown in the past.  He wouldn't start over my Thomas or Green but he could definitely go in my flex over the likes of an Allen, Coleman or Duke Johnson.

If Gordon steps right in and produces at his 420-pages of hype level, then the NFL can throw away OTAs, training camp, preseason, practice, etc.

I seem to recall the last time he hit the field after a "vacation"... 1st game was a splash, and regressive trickles after that.

Edited by Dizzy

8-136-2

or

2-16-0

There is no middle ground.

5 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Decent first half stats

Your talking first half of the first half, right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

If Gordon steps right in and produces at his 420-pages of hype level, then the NFL can throw away OTAs, training camp, preseason, practice, etc.

I seem to recall the last time he hit the field after a "vacation"... 1st game was a splash, and regressive trickles after that.

I realize we ARE talking about the Browns here...but we aren't talking about getting EVERYONE working together. We are talking about getting 1 person up to speed on what the other 70 are already doing (albeit poorly)

I'd take a free end of the bench potential SPLASH after dropping bye week fill in fodder. I clearly am not the only one. He can light up (see what I did there?) my bench (not my opponents line up) on my bye week playoff week and leave me with a tough decision to make if he'd like.