What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Saboo said:
What is Josh Gordon’s ceiling? Is it realistic to suggest he could be a wr #1 for fantasy purposes? Or will he be the borderline #3 he was last season?

I took him at the top of the 6th rnd against my better judgement. After the draft to a man everyone involved said they didn’t want the headache that is being a Josh Gordon owner...Personally I’m not expecting too much, but he is an elite talent and I rolled the dice on him.
The only shot he has of returning WR1 numbers is if Tyrod gets hurt, Mayfield takes over and CLE is as bad as they've been over the last three years (where they were bottom in the league in rushing attempts, middle of the road or better in pass attempts). Even then, with Landry, Duke and Njoku all competing for targets the likelihood would still be slim to none. Landry is almost certainly going to lead the team in targets if he stays healthy. I think Gordon will have trouble finishing as WR2 without some positive TD variance. It's safest to just treat him as a high variance WR3.

Anyway, tropical storm Gordon (being serious) is making landfall in CLE. Winds are expected to be in excess of 20 mph for the game on Sunday. If you start Gordon you have to be okay with a goose egg. I could probably name 36 WRs I'd start over him, especially in ppr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had him since he was a rookie in dynasty and he didn't fall enough in my 3 redrafts. Ease him in, in my imo. I'm super deep at WR in dynasty. Your life is all ahead of you, Josh. All ahead of you. 

Sincere G/L to all Gordon owners. Luv me some JG but couldn't stomach making a serious bid for him this year so I'll be cheering him and you on from the sidelines.

Anyway, tropical storm Gordon (being serious) is making landfall in CLE. Winds are expected to be in excess of 20 mph for the game on Sunday. If you start Gordon you have to be okay with a goose egg. I could probably name 36 WRs I'd start over him, especially in ppr.
Oh yes, on Sunday, "tropical storm Gordon" will be making his landfall in CLE alright! :excited:

Saboo said:
That’s all true, but can the guy keep his life in order long enough to play a full season? I get that he is as talented as any player in the NFL, but can he keep his head on straight (of coarse I’m rooting for him off the field which is far more important than anything he does on the field) long enough to live up to his elite talent? He seems like a genuinely nice and extremely articulate guy. I hope he can get it all together
Well, in my defense, the guy asked about his ceiling. I think it's reasonable to expect that his ceiling would be somewhere close to his 2013 numbers. I also caveated it all with his floor is pretty far down. As a life long Browns fan I hope he pulls it off but I have zero confidence he'll be around for a full season. Don't think he's got the head or desire for it. Prove me wrong Josh and be the hero.

Yeah but he's was lucky to have Weeden, Campbell & Hoyer throwing to him that year
"Hmm? Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point: Don't smoke crack."

I think it's reasonable to expect that his ceiling would be somewhere close to his 2013 numbers.
It's not even remotely reasonable, there's a 0% chance he sees the requisite volume  (180 targets) to reach that ceiling. I do find it fascinating that there are still some people who actually believe that it is in his range of outcomes this year. 

Browns coach Hue Jackson confirmed Josh Gordon will be on a "pitch count" Week 1 against the Steelers.

Gordon, who missed a few practices with a hamstring injury after returning to camp, said he is "100 percent," but the coach does not want to overwork him. "My concern is if we give him too much, we might be leaving him out there for potential injury," Jackson said. The playing time concerns mean Gordon has to be downgraded, but he has the upside to still be worth WR3 consideration and a spot in DFS lineups.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Sep 6 - 9:26 AM

It's not even remotely reasonable, there's a 0% chance he sees the requisite volume  (180 targets) to reach that ceiling. I do find it fascinating that there are still some people who actually believe that it is in his range of outcomes this year. 
Who was the WR opposite him that year?

Would you say that WRs have better years when they are the only target on a team or when there are other skill players to draw coverage.  

IMO This is the best group Gordon has ever played with, from RB to to WR to OL, and especially at QB.

Methinks you think too much of targets vs. what are quality targets.  The tape tells tales.  

Josh Gordon believes he can beat those numbers. He said so less than a week ago.  

Until I see something that tells me he is not in 110%, I believe him.

This reminds me of when Ricky Williams returned to the Dolphins.  He was a different player.  A dominant player.  

I think Josh Gordon, in that division, is a dominant player.  I don't think there is a corner in the AFC Central that can cover him 1 on 1.

ETA I doubt he reaches 1600 yards this year.  But if he is half as dominant in games as he had been in the off season, he is in for some good games and a good season. And regarding the Pittsburg game, who do you think the gameplan revolves around stopping on offense with Tyrod in?  Pittsburg is going to be mush-rushing.  That means the coverage has to be tight where they play man to man.  In the "drizzle".  I am not concerned about winds unless they are more than the 14 mph currently forecast.          

Who was the WR opposite him that year?

Someone worse than Landry, someone who wasn't going to lead the team in targets.

Would you say that WRs have better years when they are the only target on a team or when there are other skill players to draw coverage.

I'd say WRs who catch balls at the same rate as Gordon (~50%, like Mike Evans) thrive on volume.

IMO This is the best group Gordon has ever played with, from RB to to WR to OL, and especially at QB.

It is and it's not a good thing.

Methinks you think too much of targets vs. what are quality targets. The tape tells tales.

The ceiling that everyone points to was predicated on volume. 

Josh Gordon believes he can beat those numbers. He said so less than a week ago.

He's 100% wrong.

Until I see something that tells me he is not in 110%, I believe him.

He can be 110% and still be 100% wrong.

This reminds me of when Ricky Williams returned to the Dolphins. He was a different player. A dominant player.

I think the only thing in common between them is that they smoked weed.

I think Josh Gordon, in that division, is a dominant player. I don't think there is a corner in the AFC Central that can cover him 1 on 1.

I think he's still a good player but the situation is about as bad as it gets. 
I think he's going to see 18-20% of ~500 pass attempts, catch them at ~55% clip, average 15-17 yards per reception and score between 5-7 TDs and I feel like I'm being generous.

I'll let Gordon play and show us what he can do.

Not into predictions. I own him and am starting him in both. That much I'll tell you. With tons of confidence. 

Remember... as far as the SP was concerned, he 100% failed/missed a test 2mnths back. 

Not into predictions. I own him and am starting him in both. That much I'll tell you. With tons of confidence.
Let's be honest here. This is based more on the fact that you long ago painted yourself in to that corner than anything else. And that is assuming that your statement isn't just a bunch of baloney posted here for show, like many of your Gordon-schtick posts. At this point, it really is hard to tell. So much over-the-top for oh-so-long. I'm not really sure what is real and what is schtick when it comes to you and Gordon posts anymore.

He is 100% in both of my lineups. And will remain there unless inactive. 

Starts up to 4 WR in one league, up to 5 in the other. Not really hard to believe. 

I'll let Gordon play and show us what he can do.

Remember... as far as the SP was concerned, he 100% failed/missed a test 2mnths back. 
:thumbdown:

You've slipped dude.  Definitely not qualified to lead this train.  Letting the chosen one drop to the 5th round and stepping over free cash is weak sauce at best.  You might as well slap Gordon in the face and take a dump on him.  We need a fearless leader at the helm.

I am Josh Gordon. 

Top that. 
Topped!!!

3.09 41.Bassnbrew Gordon, Josh CLE WR Thu Sep 6 11:48:12 a.m. ET 2018[Pick made based on Pre-Draft List]

I just drafted you again while we were having this debate.  I have more stock in you than you do of yourself.  

how many TDs u want this week? 2?
I'd take stepping over Callaway on the depth chart and anything north of the train wreck that was last years ff playoffs.  So basically something better than the production half of the guys on the waiver wire will have would be a step in the right direction.

Could we have a real Josh Gordon news/projections thread and leave this one for the people who just want to only be cute? Maybe we could have our cake and eat it to.

Could we have a real Josh Gordon news/projections thread and leave this one for the people who just want to only be cute? Maybe we could have our cake and eat it to.
Projections - Every FBG staff member is projecting 3 receptions, Soulfully is projecting less than 3.  Non-statable for most people

News - Supposedly a full go but the Clev coaches going to monitor play time to prevent injury.

Really there's nothing else to add until the ball is in the air.

WTF ??? We would need proof you liar.....Soulfly = Gordon ???!!! LOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLLOOLL! 

Prove it. New low ...and I mean low. WoW. Just when I thought your fandom was KINDA cool you say that??? 

I definitely think he goes for 100/1 at least. 

Not sure what tuhrod's arm looks like w a breeze coming in, but he just has to get it in Josh's direction

BoltNlava said:
WTF ??? We would need proof you liar.....Soulfly = Gordon ???!!! LOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLLOOLL! 

Prove it. New low ...and I mean low. WoW. Just when I thought your fandom was KINDA cool you say that??? 
You're kidding, right?

ETA: Never mind, all good.

BoltNlava said:

jfc

Josh Gordon (hamstring) was removed from the Week 1 injury report and will play against the Steelers.

Gordon missed a few practices with a hamstring injury following his return to the team. Although he's no longer listed on Cleveland's injury report, coach Hue Jackson remains steadfast on limiting his playing time. "My concern is if we give him too much, we might be leaving him out there for potential injury," Jackson said. Rookie Antonio Callaway will start in place of Gordon, with the latter reportedly staying on a "pitch count" in Week 1. His ceiling still makes him a solid WR3 against the Steelers.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Sep 7 - 2:45 PM

Fantasy fallout: Start James Conner, Josh Gordon, Adrian Peterson with confidence?

Excerpt:

WR Josh Gordon: ESPN Cleveland Browns reporter Pat McManamon thinks Gordon is "definitely worth a flier" for fantasy purposes, even though the Browns have suggested he won't be a starter in Week 1. McManamon's biggest concern is actually that weather reports are calling for some possibly nasty conditions in Cleveland on Sunday, which could turn the Steelers-Browns into more of a ground game (see: Conner, above).

The idea of Gordon being rusty after missing much of the preseason is less of a concern. Last season, when Gordon returned from a three-year absence because of suspensions and addiction issues, he was immediately targeted 13 times in his first game back. He caught "only" four passes for 85 yards in that game, but that was mostly because of inaccurate throws. And the Browns have continued to express faith in him this season.

McManamon has stressed the Browns are starving to win this home opener on the heels of their 0-16 season. And Cleveland offensive coordinator Todd Haley made no secret about Gordon's ability to help them do that.

"I hope he's involved a lot. He obviously is a big-time talent. As I told him, 'We've been waiting on you. It's time,'" Haley said. "This is one of those five-star matchups. Our best players have to play better than their best players for us to have a chance to come out on top, and he's one of our best players."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Josh Gordon (hamstring) is "good to go" for Week 1 against the Steelers.

Gordon was removed from the injury report after practicing all week. He won't start and is expected to be on a snap count but is over his hamstring issues. Playing limited reps in a game with weather concerns, Gordon is an easy Week 1 sit.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 9 - 9:55 AM

Bless those who believed in this kid. Who held their stock. Who traded for his services.

May this season and beyond shine brightly upon us...

LET'S GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I just caught the Sunday NFL Countdown broadcast:

• weather is not looking like it will be as much of an issue as originally feared 
  • some concerns from the Browns on rolling Gordon out there coming off the hamstring injury on a wet field 
  • Josh Gordon had “a great week of practice”
  • while he won’t start - Browns coaches were smiling when talking about Gordon and the plays they have drawn up for him
  • Browns coaches know that Gordon has “game breaking abilities” and that they will need him to have a shot at winning this game 

^^^ anyone who believed anything other than what is written above is naive as all heck

I just caught the Sunday NFL Countdown broadcast:

• weather is not looking like it will be as much of an issue as originally feared 
  • some concerns from the Browns on rolling Gordon out there coming off the hamstring injury on a wet field 
  • Josh Gordon had “a great week of practice”
  • while he won’t start - Browns coaches were smiling when talking about Gordon and the plays they have drawn up for him
  • Browns coaches know that Gordon has “game breaking abilities” and that they will need him to have a shot at winning this game 
CLE has a real chance to win this game. I have a hard time thinking Todd Haley, former offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh, is going to keep Gordon off the field if the game is close.

Users who are viewing this thread