What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (11 Viewers)

Despite the pats predilection for cerebral, deceptively athletic, lunch pail, team first players... Gordon was born to catch touchdowns. Hi haters!

Nice to see that. I think he had only four targets. There's just not a lot to go around with this offense. 

His game also doesn't lend itself to the Pats, who by design of their offense and to protect Brady, throw a lot of quick hitters. Even worse, Gordon was getting press coverage and two deep almost all night, so him beating a double team long is just absolutely lucky. 

But BOOM!, regardless.  

Nice to see that. I think he had only four targets. There's just not a lot to go around with this offense. 

His game also doesn't lend itself to the Pats, who by design of their offense and to protect Brady, throw a lot of quick hitters. Even worse, Gordon was getting press coverage and two deep almost all night, so him beating a double team long is just absolutely lucky. 

But BOOM!, regardless.  
hope those 0.3 points get you the win ;)

glad to see this thread lives to fight another week

But BOOM!, regardless.  
Yep. Gordon is essentially a pinch hitter for New England, rather than a guy who is going to consistently get tons of targets every week. 

They're leading off the LA sports talk show on KTLA with Gordon. His hype is so absurd. Deserved on talent, but still just...whoa...is he ever THE story wherever he is.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Gordon is essentially a pinch hitter for New England, rather than a guy who is going to consistently get tons of targets every week. 
Nonsense!

The guy has been here for two weeks and is still dealing with a hamstring injury. He has very limited knowledge of the Patriots playbook. It’s going to take him a few weeks to get acquainted with the Patriots playbook.

If he can keep his off the field stuff in order he is going to be scary in New England down the stretch.

Rotoworld take:

Josh Gordon caught 2-of-4 targets for 50 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 5 win over the Colts.

The score was Gordon's first as a Patriot, while he doubled his 2018 yardage total this evening. Gordon was lucky to find the end zone, as Tom Brady heaved a pure jump ball into tight coverage. Finishing off a winding road to the painted area, Gordon easily won the ball over the Colts' second-string defensive backs. Charted as playing just 20-of-71 snaps by ESPN's Mike Reiss, Gordon still has a long ways to go before he can be considered a WR3, though he has a mouthwatering matchup for Week 6 in the Chiefs.

Oct 5 - 12:09 AM

Rotoworld take:
:trombone sound: 

Nah, seriously, their take wasn't very good, as they are wont to do. He made a really nice play on that deep ball after getting mugged at the fifteen by a defensive back. He tracked it, went up between two defenders, and high-pointed it. If they take three or four of those sort of shots a game, he's easily in my lineup. 

The question becomes (staying on the field and out of trouble notwithstanding here): 

• Will they take those three or four shots?
  • How accurate will Brady still be throwing deep?
  • Will the DBs just mug him and take the call instead of letting him run free? Cooks had that FF problem last year. No points for penalties in most leagues.
  • Can he learn Brady's tendencies? Tonight, for instance, Brady was waving him to come back to the ball on a route he was running. He recognized what was going on too late and the ball sailed out of bounds, way away from Gordon. 
Regardless, if Gordon can scratch out six-plus targets on about thirty-thirty five snaps a game, he's such an athletic freak that he's a WR2 in standard, which is all one can hope for. His touchdowns aren't luck, it seems. It seems he's always been a big play guy when he gets attention from the offensive scheme. 

It's still exciting for fantasy footballers to watch and hope, in a lot of respects.  

And, as Aikman pointed out, Indy was playing two deep safeties all night and press coverage was obvious so there were no easy slants for him. Yes, they were backup DBs, but they're pros playing coverages that specifically were contra Gordon's abilities and strengths. 

Looking forward to the Monday ERRR Friday morning QB action on here. :popcorn:   

I don’t think most people realize this guy has been playing intellectual possum to get dealt.  He is now party to the greatest ruse every perpetrated upon fantasy-kind. 

New England is showing JUUUUST enough life to ensure that 5-3 midsession. From there... josh, Julian, rob, James and Tom will unite into their power rangers form, and proceed to decimate the nfl and all your fantasy rosters.

JK, this is still a ####show 

hope those 0.3 points get you the win ;)
I was confused by this until I thought about it, and I realized you might be talking PPR w/Edelman. 

My main league is standard. He outscored him by 5.3 points tonight. Whether he'll outscore Tyler Boyd and Doug Baldwin remains to be seen. But I'll take the eleven points in the clubhouse, for sure. We'll see how I feel about that come Sunday. I may flex Boyd over Hyde anyway, so it may be a really moot point. 

But for tonight, yeah, I made the right decision with a lot of luck (and some sick talent).  

what I liked best about that entire play, the was Brady absolutely losing his mind celebrating w gordon after the catch... not once... but twice. 

was that throw a "they say just heave it up and you catch it, so prove it" moment? seemed like it.

and he caught it. 

come to think of it... the entire sideline was pumped right up. i think they like him there

Gordon showed all of his skills on that catch. Breaking free from a defender, gaining separation, and adjusting to a less than perfectly thrown ball between two defenders. If you bail Tom out like that, you will be rewarded.

I was confused by this until I thought about it, and I realized you might be talking PPR w/Edelman. 

My main league is standard. He outscored him by 5.3 points tonight. Whether he'll outscore Tyler Boyd and Doug Baldwin remains to be seen. But I'll take the eleven points in the clubhouse, for sure. We'll see how I feel about that come Sunday. I may flex Boyd over Hyde anyway, so it may be a really moot point. 

But for tonight, yeah, I made the right decision with a lot of luck (and some sick talent).  
yeah you made out big time with that move. ballsy moves can pay off like this

Moss's catch is better, but that's a pretty neat side-by-side.
I won't argue that the actual catch was better.

But everything else was in Gordon's favour. Extended play. Staved off a grevious hold/interference from the defender, then pulled away to the EZ where he caught it between 2 defenders.

Moss's was designed and he straight lined to the EZ

The game action predicated his involvement late.  He made a great adjustment on the TD throw. 

Lets not get too excited.  He was going against #5 and #6 CBs on a team decimated by injuries.  

But after the Pats adjust the offense over the bye, THEN we will see what the plans are.  

Snap % barely budged, but Brady having the trust to throw that ball up there for Gordon a good sign.

Baby steps.

This offense is going to get seriously on track now. KC up next on the schedule and that should be a shootout.

My expectations are middling on Gordon in the short term, but for me, that's ok. I don't need him to step up. That said, my hope is during the 2nd half of the fantasy season, he emerges as more of a go to guy and a guy that can help me secure a championship. I don't think this is unrealistic at this point. 

Gordon's trajectory is heading upwards. And that's a seriously positive development considering there was risk that the his trajectory could have been straight down (i.e. CUT) a week ago.

I get the sense the Pats are if anything looking to build Gordon's presence in the offense (and the team) from the ground up.

In CLE, from the moment he walked in the door...it was as if he was placed as an offensive centerpiece.  Obviously have no inside knowledge, but I wonder if those expectations were at the root of some of his 'issues' that surfaced in July.

In NE, he simply blends...

I get the sense the Pats are if anything looking to build Gordon's presence in the offense (and the team) from the ground up.

In CLE, from the moment he walked in the door...it was as if he was placed as an offensive centerpiece.  Obviously have no inside knowledge, but I wonder if those expectations were at the root of some of his 'issues' that surfaced in July.

In NE, he simply blends...
Gordon actually was quoted post game that he likes not having to be "the guy." He doesn't have to be rushed along here. 

So far so good with this kid. He may have landed in the perfect spot.

Lets not get too excited.  He was going against #5 and #6 CBs on a team decimated by injuries.  
But after the Pats adjust the offense over the bye, THEN we will see what the plans are.  
This is not a question mark with Gordon. He has the skills to hang with the best defenses when they come around.

The big concerns have been, and still are: Will he learn enough of the playbook quickly to increase his usage? And will he not screw up his (probably) last shot at the NFL?

Gordon actually was quoted post game that he likes not having to be "the guy." He doesn't have to be rushed along here. 

So far so good with this kid. He may have landed in the perfect spot.
I don't know. I need people who want to be "the guy." 

Guess I've got to cut him now. Oh well. It was a run.  

Should be interesting later in the season when Malcolm Butler has to cover Gordon. I would guess that might be his biggest game of the year production wise. 

what I liked best about that entire play, the was Brady absolutely losing his mind celebrating w gordon after the catch... not once... but twice. 

was that throw a "they say just heave it up and you catch it, so prove it" moment? seemed like it.

and he caught it. 

come to think of it... the entire sideline was pumped right up. i think they like him there
Stadium went crazy on that first catch he had. They all remember the Moss plays.

Pats always talking about trust... knowing the plays... everyone knowing where they need to be... Brady needs everyone in their spots... yadda yadda yadda. There will be at least one bomb shot per week here on out. And has shown his hands in traffic as well (albeit in limited action so far).

Yes, safe to say the trust is there... now the message from Brady will be "we need more Josh Gordon" same as he did for James White.

Yes, safe to say the trust is there... now the message from Brady will be "we need more Josh Gordon" same as he did for James White.
I think it's somewhat telling that Brady came out and said he trusted him on that throw. That throw was right into some heavy traffic and was a jump ball. 

They must think something of him to do that. 

Also, I haven't heard Gillette go quite so nuts in a while as on that bomb, and I get to watch a lot of Patriots games. I think he's got everybody on his side. Just be a team player, keep clean, and pick your spots, and you might win a title in that offense. Of course, that's all harder said than done, but this is a team that can outscore anybody. 

imagine how salty the gordon haters are gonna be, week after week, as brady declares his love for JG10, interview after interview. 

imagine how salty the gordon haters are gonna be, week after week, as brady declares his love for JG10, interview after interview. 
They'll just deflect their hate onto the Patriots for once again making a lemons-into-lemonade move.

Users who are viewing this thread