Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

Just now, Dizzy said:

At least there were breaks in the clouds in 2018 (before his sudden departure).

This year it's like watching the sun set.

He looks like what people talk about when they talk about Mercury Morris coming back from jail. (Is that the right player? I think so...)

Said he was never the same even though he wasn't that old. Sometimes, massive life changes change what people do on the football field. I feel like watching Josh for five or so years now, he's kind of almost done.  I hope I'm wrong, but I can't shake that feeling. 

6 hours ago, rockaction said:

He looks like what people talk about when they talk about Mercury Morris coming back from jail. (Is that the right player? I think so...)

Said he was never the same even though he wasn't that old. Sometimes, massive life changes change what people do on the football field. I feel like watching Josh for five or so years now, he's kind of almost done.  I hope I'm wrong, but I can't shake that feeling. 

Wasn't Mercury. His jail stint was after his playing career was over. Maybe Bam Morris ?

10 minutes ago, Dawg Pound 69 said:

Wasn't Mercury. His jail stint was after his playing career was over. Maybe Bam Morris ?

Ah, okay. It might have been (of course) a Raider. I used to be, as a kid, a huge Raider fan who read all those tell-all books like Cruisin' With The Tooz, Snake, etc. I think it was a Raider that went to prison and never got his step back, which makes sense. I'm no football historian, really.

I guess it's a roundabout way of saying Josh Gordon has lost a step and it's quite possible his old lifestyle, once conquered by raw talent and athleticism, might be catching up to him. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Just now, Tanner9919 said:

452 pages on this guy? 

:rolleyes:

he's hurt, again. he's about to be replaced by Meyers.

He's rarely hurt. Usually it's the suspensions. But he's not playing, or didn't. Meyers looked good the other night, but I'd pump the brakes on that. 

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

He's rarely hurt. Usually it's the suspensions. But he's not playing, or didn't. Meyers looked good the other night, but I'd pump the brakes on that. 

gordon is bad and you should feel bad

4 minutes ago, wiersface said:

gordon is bad and you should feel bad

I do :kicksrock:

20 hours ago, rockaction said:

Just my $0.02, but 2018 there was all this "Tom Brady loves Josh Gordon" - then he disappeared - and in 2019 it feels like Brady fell for another (Antonio Brown) and Gordon is a JAG in Bradyland.

Last season in New England. Might catch on elsewhere in 2020.

A real testament though to how awesome that 2013 season was... his FF relevance is still tied to it. That's where all the highlights are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dizzy said:

A real testament though to how awesome that 2013 season was... his FF relevance is still tied to it. That's where all the highlights are.

Yup.

An aside: Counterintuitively, I look at Gordon not as a story about the dangers of drugs, I look at is as reinforcing my belief in self-medication and the inherent right to autonomy over one's body, be it socially, politically, or in the workforce. I fully realize I'm in the distinct minority on this, but so it is.

Such a loss to have missed his prime.

• Like 3

I wonder if Belichick and Brady have been intentionally sandbagging Gordon?  A sudden transition to superstardom probably wouldn't be good for Gordon's emotional development.  Gordon still has a positive influence on the offense since he garners defensive attention.  And the Patriots have the luxury of not sacrificing the future for immediate gains.

Josh Gordon (knee) was sidelined for Tuesday's practice.

Meanwhile both N'Keal Harry (ankle) and Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) returned. We'll see how this situation shakes out since the Patriots have an extra 24 hours to get healthy before suiting up Monday night, but early indications suggest Julian Edelman, Jakobi Meyers and Dorsett start in New England's three-wide sets. Meyers makes for a great waivers stash as a pivot for Gordon at kick-off.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Oct 15, 2019, 12:17 PM ET

On 10/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, Don Hutson said:

I wonder if Belichick and Brady have been intentionally sandbagging Gordon?  A sudden transition to superstardom probably wouldn't be good for Gordon's emotional development.  Gordon still has a positive influence on the offense since he garners defensive attention.  And the Patriots have the luxury of not sacrificing the future for immediate gains.

The only thing Belichick and Brady are intentional about is winning.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, Ketamine Dreams said:

His production has been pretty abysmal

But he's been cleaner for a longer period than any time in recent memory.

I also think he's getting way more defensive attention than any other receiver on that roster.  It's a lot easier for the Phillip Dorsetts of the world when the safties are looking elsewhere.

Just now, Statorama said:

But he's been cleaner for a longer period than any time in recent memory.

I also think he's getting way more defensive attention than any other receiver on that roster.  It's a lot easier for the Phillip Dorsetts of the world when the safties are looking elsewhere.

Good point. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, Ketamine Dreams said:

His production has been pretty abysmal, and there will soon be more competition for targets. I'm leaning toward dropping him.

Dropped him for the Lazard King

Makes sense that he won't play Monday @Jets, since the Patriots are likely to win anyways with him or without. 

Cleveland at Home in Foxboro the week after, gotta think Gordon is playing in that football game and will have his "Big Day" perhaps that week before the schedule starts getting a little more challenging. 

• Thinking 1

Josh Gordon (knee) did not practice Friday.

Gordon is very unlikely to play on Sunday after missing practice all week. That means Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett (questionable) will be Tom Brady's top receivers with James White also chipping in. The Patriots are extremely thin at tight end as well -- Ryan Izzo and Matt LaCossee didn't practice Friday either. Consider Gordon week to week.

SOURCE: Patriots.com

Oct 18, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

Clearly not playing Sunday. 100% guaranteed. Because they play on a Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Gordon is very unlikely to play on Sunday after missing practice all week. That means Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett (questionable) will be Tom Brady's top receivers with James White also chipping in.

I wish I didn’t take FF so seriously because I’d love to add Gunner just for the hell if it.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

Makes sense that he won't play Monday @Jets, since the Patriots are likely to win anyways with him or without. 

Cleveland at Home in Foxboro the week after, gotta think Gordon is playing in that football game and will have his "Big Day" perhaps that week before the schedule starts getting a little more challenging. 

He better not unless he takes a bubble screen 60 yards the wrong direction. We gave him too many chances for him to do us like that. 😃

• Laughing 1

Josh Gordon (knee) won't suit up for the Patriots' Monday night matchup against the Jets.

Undrafted rookie Gunner Olszewski is expected to take Gordon's spot in 3-WR sets. The Patriots bumped Julian Edelman out wide with Phillip Dorsett sidelined last week, as Jakobi Meyers ultimately spent 44-of-56 snaps (79%) in the slot. The Jets defense isn't bad; they're one of just 12 units to allow fewer than 5.5 yards per play this season. We wouldn't bet against the league's highest-scoring offense having too hard of a time putting up points, but this isn't a cake walk -- particularly with Sam Darnold back under center. Meyers is the preferred streamer option over Olszewski due to the former receiver's demonstrated chemistry with Tom Brady that dates back to training camp.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter.

Oct 19, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Lol ok screw this.

Yep. I dropped him in my main league. He's a big part of the reason I won't make the playoffs for the first time ever in that league. 

12 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Is soulfly okay?

Yup.  He's busy destroying Mayfield's career pimping Mayfield as the second coming of Dan Marino.

• Laughing 1

Patriots' Josh Gordon: Present for walk-through practice

by RotoWire Staff
(19 mins ago) Gordon (knee/ankle) was spotted at Wednesday's walk-through, Andrew Callahan of The Springfield Republican reports.

Gordon sat out Monday's win over the Jets, but his presence on the field Wednesday suggests that he has a shot to return to action Sunday against the Browns. We'll have to see how the Patriots list the wideout's level of practice participation on Wednesday's injury report, but it appears as though he's in the day-to-day category at this stage. Also practicing Wednesday was newcomer Mohamed Sanu, a player who could end up cutting into Gordon's workload once he's up to speed with the Patriots' playbook

Just as a side note, I personally don't put a lot of stock in who participates in walk-throughs. BB has given his team more rest as the years have passed. He has skipped practices, had extended film review sessions, or opted for walkthroughs with a lot more regularity. Not sure how an injury report when the team really hasn't conducted a regular practice can lead anyone to draw any conclusions about a player's status. Hopefully we will know more as the week progresses, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gordon gets the questionable designation on Friday, is labeled a game time decision, and then ends up inactive at the last minute. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my spidey sense is telling me at the moment. Burkhead has been living in that exact situation for most of October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Ugh, I just can't let Joshy Josh go, even as more solid options siren to me from the wire.

:battered-fantasy-owner syndrome:

Cut him once he was announced as OUT last Friday/Saturday. I've chased his story for years but the addition of Sanu and an offense that doesn't throw a ton of deep balls, there really is nothing to feel regret about. He had what seems like looking back, a flukey TD last season where we heard BB on the sidelines asking questions about the TD and that was about the highlight of what we've seen since he arrived in NE last year.  

You can find the same numbers streaming other guys weekly and hoping one of them sticks. 

I was hoping for a solid WR3/Flex option and it just isn't there. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1

I'm a bit surprised the Patriots haven't tried to move Gordon.

Eagles are starving for a downfield threat.

Ravens need WR help.

Shark Pool can't be the only collection of people still living off of 2013 highlight reels.

4 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

I'm a bit surprised the Patriots haven't tried to move Gordon.

Eagles are starving for a downfield threat.

Ravens need WR help.

Shark Pool can't be the only collection of people still living off of 2013 highlight reels.

For what? He's currently injured and is certainly on a rehabilitation plan and could be suspended at a moment's notice. Would there be teams really looking to take that on? Uprooting him now could have very bad outcomes with regard to JG working his program.

Being hurt is probably what is holding him back in NE. The Pats need receivers. So if Gordon gets healthy, he fills one of their biggest needs.

Those who took the under in Vegas made out big time- I believe it was 12 games

Edited by Dr. Dan

Lol makes me think of that one guy who was spamming the AB thread with constant Gordon takes. That sure was dumb. 

10 minutes ago, whole-show said:

Gordon placed on IR

Gordon to IR

*edited to add link

Now the 2nd for Sanu makes a lot more sense.

Couldn't have been more wrong about him this season. Oh well, at least he stopped los drogas.

Gordon claims he’s close to returning and so sounds like he could just be done with the patriots and could sign with a new team. 

Everything stinks with Gordon. It has since 2013. 6 years of stench.

Rotoworld take:

Patriots placed Josh Gordon (knee) on injured reserve, ending his 2019 season.

Gordon's injury-riddled season comes to a disappointing close as he finishes with merely 20 catches for 287 yards and one score. The team will also reportedly waive him once he's healthy, closing his Patriots career with 60/1,087/4 over 17 regular season games. This transaction explains why the Patriots felt the need to invest a second-rounder in Mohamed Sanu prior to Tuesday's trade deadline. New England will move forward with some combination of Julian Edelman, Jakobi Myers and Sanu primarily working from the slot while Phillip Dorsett stays locked in on the outside. No. 32 overall pick N'Keal Harry also has an easier path to opportunity upon his (pending) Week 11 return. 29 in April, another suitor is fully expected to take a flier on Gordon's incomparable athleticism next year.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

Well - good thing I have an IR in my dynasty. I just couldn't drop him & no one would trade for him. Maybe he lands somewhere nice. Yeah. Imma gonna think happy thoughts bout Josh while he rests on my IR.

Good luck, Josh.

I wonder if Gordon can get back-to-back Super Bowl rings without even being on the active roster for either of them.

• Like 2

He's got Raider written all over him, but I'd love to see him have a second stint in Cleveland

Rotoworld take:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Josh Gordon (knee, IR) could be waived and available as a free agent "soon."

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer added that Gordon's knee injury is "minor" and the 28-year-old expects to be medically cleared "soon." Gordon would obviously be eligible to sign with another team and play immediately if that occurs. He was reportedly dealing with two bone bruises in his knee before missing practice the past two weeks but was ultimately on his way out for performance reasons after totaling 20/287/1 in six injury-riddled games this season. Even if he's on your bench, it's purely a cross-your-fingers move to keep him stashed and wait for any further reps to occur this year.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I wonder if Gordon can get back-to-back Super Bowl rings without even being on the active roster for either of them.

Would be wild if he and Antonio Brown both went into the Hall of Fame as Patriots. Assuming AB doesn't go in as a Raider.