What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official WR Travis Benjamin thread (1 Viewer)

Last week he scored again which ties him for the league lead with Gronk. He also had 10 targets and McCown threw for 341 yards.

The problem is QB Josh McCown isn't good connecting on deep balls to undersized WRs, he throws jump balls, the sort that he could complete to guys he had in Tampa Bay big tall strong guys. That is why the two bigger taller guys he had to throw to, TE Gary Barnidge 6'6 250 lbs and WR Brian Hartline 6'2 200 lbs lead the team in receptions and yardage.

Basically with the QB switch its more unlikely we'll see those deep over-the-shoulder bombs that Manziel was able to complete to Benjamin because McCowan was misfiring and underthrowing those opportunities when Travis was consistently beating DBs deep.

Bracie Smathers said:
Last week he scored again which ties him for the league lead with Gronk. He also had 10 targets and McCown threw for 341 yards.

The problem is QB Josh McCown isn't good connecting on deep balls to undersized WRs, he throws jump balls, the sort that he could complete to guys he had in Tampa Bay big tall strong guys. That is why the two bigger taller guys he had to throw to, TE Gary Barnidge 6'6 250 lbs and WR Brian Hartline 6'2 200 lbs lead the team in receptions and yardage.

Basically with the QB switch its more unlikely we'll see those deep over-the-shoulder bombs that Manziel was able to complete to Benjamin because McCowan was misfiring and underthrowing those opportunities when Travis was consistently beating DBs deep.
So....basically far more valuable with Manziel playing.

Was contemplating putting him in over Tate, but I think this one could get out of hand in SD.

Benjamin has had an awesome start to his season but just seems like a classic boom / bust guy.

Not a great option in PPR.

10 targ, 6 rec, 79 yds yesterday.

I'm liking the targets. He was tied for the team lead in targets, and was 2nd in yds (other WR only had 85 yds).

I know he's being labeled a "boom/bust" guy, but after Week 4, still no "bust". With this uptick in targets, I'm thinking maybe he's not they guy we thought he was, as far as "boom/bust" goes. (in ppr)

Last edited by a moderator:
10 targ, 6 rec, 79 yds yesterday.

I'm liking the targets. He was tied for the team lead in targets, and was 2nd in yds (other WR only had 85 yds).
I probably could have saved myself a MNF sweat if I had swapped him out with Golden Tate.

I liked that they're starting to use him in roles other than "run fast & we'll chuck it downfield."

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000553357/article/peyton-manning-stack-could-be-huge-in-week-5-dfs

Travis Benjamin - I profiled Travis Benjamin for Reception Perception this week, and was impressed with his game. There's no fluke in his early season output, and the Browns know it. They've used him in the underneath portion of the game more, especially on crossers, and Benjamin has 10 targets in each of the last two contests. Baltimore's secondary has been thrashed by wide receivers this season. They've given up 884 yards, seven touchdowns and the 10th most fantasy points per target to wide receivers. That would look even worse if Antonio Brown had caught a long touchdown against them that he inexplicably dropped in the end zone last week.​
The above referenced Matt's Reception Perception article at FBG.

Go to the link for the read.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=harmon_receptionperception_travisbenjamin15

...The one thing we should know by now: there’s little utility in laughing off and dismissing something as impossible when it’s revealed to us on the field. Last year, it was Justin Forsett. Almost universally dismissed by fantasy observers after having a big game to open the season, Forsett went on to finish as a top-10 running back.

This year, it was Travis Benjamin ...

Starting Kendall Wright home vs Buffalo over him. Buffalo has been thrashed by WRs this season, and I'm sold on Mariota.

With that said though, if I had to start Benjamin, I would absolutely be doing it with confidence. The kid is a football player.

Couple of quiet weeks for Benjamin. 8 targets 4-47 against a good Rams defense, only 5 targets and season lows 3-26 v. Arizona. Last week he drew Patrick Peterson and they rolled coverage to him, which allowed Hartline to have a big day.

Brian Hartline is in the concussion protocol & Andrew Hawkins has been ruled out tonight. Manziel hooked up with Benjamin on a couple of beautifully thrown long bombs back in early September.

Any chance Travis bounces back against the Bengals?

I currently have him in my lineup over Jordan Matthews and Donte Moncrief....with all the byes. Not overly confident but hopefully he and Manziel can re-spark that early magic and hook up on a long TD.

I feel like I'm the only guy that owns him and has started him about half the season

WR11 in our return/bonus league

WR12 in full PPR formats

WR15 in non-PPR

2nd in the NFL in 40 yard receptions (1 behind AB)

1st in the NFL in 40 yard TD receptions

Is there a more overlooked WR2 anywhere in fantasy football right now?

UFA in March

BobbyLayne said:
I feel like I'm the only guy that owns him and has started him about half the season

WR11 in our return/bonus league

WR12 in full PPR formats

WR15 in non-PPR

2nd in the NFL in 40 yard receptions (1 behind AB)

1st in the NFL in 40 yard TD receptions

Is there a more overlooked WR2 anywhere in fantasy football right now?

UFA in March
You are right, traded Rawls for him at the deadline (already have 3 top 12 RBs) and people were screaming collusion saying I got nothing for him.

I was down by 11.5 points in the 4th when he busted out. Thank you Travis Benjamin! Thank you Austin Davis!

Kansas City gives up the 4th most FF points to WRs.

I've been looking at the Browns three other games that were a plus matchup (5 worst FF DEF v. WRs):

• Week 5 @ BAL - McCown throws for 457 in the OT win. Benjamin has 12 targets, 6-83-0, Barnidge goes 8-139-1
  • Week 10 @PIT - Manziel throws for 372 in a blowout loss; Travis leads the team with 11 targets for 7-113-0
  • Week 12 BAL - 13 targets, 6-90-1 in the walkoff Kick Six game
I like Benjamin to see 10-12 targets this weekend, and catch at least one 40+ yard TD.

Kansas City gives up the 4th most FF points to WRs.

I've been looking at the Browns three other games that were a plus matchup (5 worst FF DEF v. WRs):

• Week 5 @ BAL - McCown throws for 457 in the OT win. Benjamin has 12 targets, 6-83-0, Barnidge goes 8-139-1
  • Week 10 @PIT - Manziel throws for 372 in a blowout loss; Travis leads the team with 11 targets for 7-113-0
  • Week 12 BAL - 13 targets, 6-90-1 in the walkoff Kick Six game
I like Benjamin to see 10-12 targets this weekend, and catch at least one 40+ yard TD.
I need it too. Cooper has put me in a hole.

I have Benjamin and Barnidge and I don't think I can stomach the idea of starting both of them with Johnny Football at QB.

As of now I've got Benjamin benched for Fitzgerald/Martavis Bryant/Hilton in a PPR league.

Chargers WR Travis Benjamin didn’t re-sign with the Browns because he "wanted to play with a better quarterback."
The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Terry Pluto adds "a lot of the Browns' free agents wanted a new team." The Browns reportedly offered close to what Benjamin and RT Mitchell Schwartz signed for, but both never considered returning. Cleveland also failed to re-sign Alex Mack and Tashaun Gipson.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Mar 19 - 4:41 PM

I really like Benjamin and here's some reasons.  

1.  He really came on last season with garbage at QB.  He grabbed 68 balls in his 4th season.  He progressed two years in a row.  

2. He will be 26 this season.  Still room to improve with improved QB play.  Which brings us to ...

3.  He's a Charger now, over his career Rivers has shown he can support fantasy receivers.  The last big play receiver they've had is Denario Alexander.  

4. The Chargers paid good money for him...13Million guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at.  He's their highest paid receiver until Allen gets his second contract.

5.  He can fly....a legit 4.32 at the combine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHeDlYcNKM

I'm not big on guys that have career years in contract seasons. To say he progressed two years in a row is a bit of a stretch. He had 18 catches in 2014. I guess thats an improvement over the 5 he had in 2013 (8 games) but not enough for me to call it progress. 

Which part? The 18 catches is pretty well documented. Career years in contract seasons? More of a gut I guess....and I see Joe Mauer often enough. 

It happens. Demarco, Cobb, Forsett. The list goes on and on. Of course, some players are simply "getting it" at that point in their careers. I just take contract years with a grain of salt I guess. 

I'm drinking the kool-aid. This guy is going to be HUGE in return yardage leagues.

Phillip Rivers at QB, yes please.

I really like him this season.  He's one of those "let's see what he can do with adequate surrounding talent" type of plays.  I think he's going to be a very nice value.  

I'm all about him at WR43. Malcom Floyd finished WR31 at age 33 in this offense on 92 targets. From a points per game standpoint, you probably don't want that in your WR3 slot very often, but I think that should be Benjamin's floor this year. He's got the added bonus of potentially getting a lot of targets should Allen get injured once again. If I draft Allen, I'm definitely reaching a round for Benjamin. If I don't draft Allen, I'm still probably reaching a round for Benjamin. It feels like he should have the same projection as Lockett who is going about two rounds earlier, but Benjamin has a better chance of breaking 100 targets than Lockett, IMO, giving him a higher ceiling.

I'm all about him at WR43. 
Stevie Johnson went out for the season after you wrote this, and his ADP has ... actually fallen! He's officially entered "stupid value" territory at what is now WR47 in standard leagues. Here're the 10 WRs going immediately ahead of him as of today:

Crabtree
K. White
Shepard
Gordon
T. Smith
Coleman
Snead
Diggs
Austin
V-Jax

I'm taking him ahead of everyone on this list but Crabtree, Shepard, and possibly Torrey. Guys like T-Ben, Wheaton (WR49), and Rishard Matthews (WR58) are part of the reason why I'm increasingly tempted to go against the grain and start out RB-RB in many of my non-PPR leagues this year.

I don't see much mention of him.  His first game in and got quite a few targets.  Could be the new number 1 on his team, has crazy speed, and his QB doesn't mind throwing into coverage.  What is not to like? 

I don't see much mention of him.  His first game in and got quite a few targets.  Could be the new number 1 on his team, has crazy speed, and his QB doesn't mind throwing into coverage.  What is not to like? 
Should be an easy WR2 going forward. No worse than WR3 for sure.

good situation.  don't believe in his talent long term. 

i've been trying to trade him for a few months in my dynasty with nearly no interest.  

I can't claim to have watched a lot of Phillip Rivers, but it seems like he prefers the BIG receiver over the smaller/shiftier type. Not once over the past 6 years has a WR under 6'2 (Stevie J, Vinnie Brown, Eddie Royal etc) been targeted more than the bigger guy (Vjax, Antonio, Malcolm Floyd, Keenan Allen).

That would suggest Tyrell over Travis.

full disclosure...I am a Travis Benjamin owner who is looking to invest in Tyrell.

I can't claim to have watched a lot of Phillip Rivers, but it seems like he prefers the BIG receiver over the smaller/shiftier type. Not once over the past 6 years has a WR under 6'2 (Stevie J, Vinnie Brown, Eddie Royal etc) been targeted more than the bigger guy (Vjax, Antonio, Malcolm Floyd, Keenan Allen).

That would suggest Tyrell over Travis.

full disclosure...I am a Travis Benjamin owner who is looking to invest in Tyrell.
I wouldn't read into that too much. His little receivers just haven't been as good as his big receivers, so no reason to target them over the better players. And it's strange you list Stevie as small and Allen as big. I think they are 1" apart.

FF Ninja said:
I wouldn't read into that too much. His little receivers just haven't been as good as his big receivers, so no reason to target them over the better players. And it's strange you list Stevie as small and Allen as big. I think they are 1" apart.
My bad...I looked at all of the heights of the guys listed except Stevie. Mainly because his nickname is Little Stevie Johnson.

And you're probably right...I have no clue about SD passing attack...I was just making a curious observation.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Bump. A lot of targets to replace on SD. Thoughts on Benjamin's production the rest of the year?
Good question..

Personally, I think its his floor before/post injuries that is/was the attraction..

Keeper (check)

Rivers :Perk:

Add in his current redraft price tag of WR48, or 101st overall, and you have some clearance aisle gold in the eighth round.

http://rotoviz.com/2016/07/2-league-winning-wide-receivers-being-drafted-outside-of-wr45/

p.s.  lets disregard the part about VJax..  I thinks its the Mike Evans show in Tampa!

If Benjamin can put up 960 yards receiving and 6 TDs with the putrid Browns, he should be heading for a breakout season with Rivers.   

In the first 2 games of 2015, he caught three 50+ yard TD passes from ... Johnny football. When McCown got hurt later in the season, Benjamin had  a 7-115 game with Johnny. I can see the reason for optimism with Rivers at the helm. Rivers is also the reason for high expectations with Tyrell.  

Travis Benjamin hauled in his only two targets in Sunday's preseason opener against the Chargers, posting two grabs for 89 yards and a touchdown.

Benjamin is the team's biggest downfield threat and he showed tremendous burst and speed on his 74-yard catch and score. There are plenty of mouths to feed with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams in the mix, but even if those three stay healthy there should be a decent role for Benjamin. However, he doesn't project as much of a fantasy option outside of the deepest of formats.

Users who are viewing this thread