What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Situations to Exploit or Avoid (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
It sure sounds like a MOP thread, so maybe this is an homage to MOP. I can't be bothered with the fancy formatting, bolding, and color schemes, but here goes.

I have now been in a bunch of redraft league drafts including 10, 12, 14, and 16 team drafts. They have run the gambit from standard scoring, PPR scoring, sliding scare PPR, bonus scoring, the whole shebang. These are my general observations based on how things have gone on draft day.

NFL SITUATIONS YOU MAY LOOK TO EXPLOIT:

STL WIDE RECEIVERS

At some point, someone will consider drafting them. Amendola and Smith particularly each have the chance to have 80 catch seasons. It may be one, the other, or both, but at the spot they are getting drafted they are free money in PPR leagues. It makes sense to hedge and grab both. Quick also is getting little love and is worth a flyer. Again, if none of these guys ends up doing anything early in the season, dump them for guys on the waiver wire.

BAL SKILLED POSITION PLAYERS

Other than Rice and Smith, most people are ignoring the rest of the Ravens. They appear headed to a hurry up offense and a more vertical attack, but that hasn't really been reflected in drafts. Boldin may be old and slow, but who else is going to catch the ball? Smith is going fairly early, but Boldin sits there round after round. And with the TEs being dinged up, I have seen them go undrafted or in the last round or two. In most leagues, Flacco is so far under the radar that in a couple leagues he went as a QB3.

MIN PLAYERS WITHOUT COOL INITIALS

With ADP not at 100%, MIN may struggle to move the football. Gerhart has been getting drafted all over the map, as some folks think he will be the main guy early in the year. Others that took ADP want him as a handcuff and don't want to risk not having him. A couple times I've seen Gerhart slide, but I am not sure he gets enough work as the season wears on. I'd say he's an ok investment if the price is right. Harvin has been getting drafted in the WR 15-20 range, which to me makes no sense. Simpson has been going very late or undrafted. Ponder isn't even a fantasy after thought. I may not love him, but if the Vikes have to pass more to move the ball (which I think they will), than he becomes a servicable QB2. Rudolph has the tools and the skills, but he also has been going too late for his upside. Any of those guys make for intriguing later round picks.

SD WRs

Rivers always gets his, and many have sniffed out that Gates will see a return to prominence. While that may be true, he alone will not account for 4000+ yards. Between VJax and Tolbert, 114-1639-11 left town. Brown is out for half the season. Mathews is dinged up. Meachem. Floyd, and Royal will all benefit. They all are going too late for a situation that has shown to produce a lot of passing production.

SAINTS WR2

Even with all the other distractions going on in New Orleans, WE KNOW that Drew Brees is going to throw the ball 630+ times. Graham and Colston go off the board quickly. And then after that . . . it seems like forever and a day until anyone looks at Moore and Henderson. Meachem moved on, so now there are 2 guys likely to get the production of what used to be three. That trio accounted for 124-1750-16. I wasn't a math major, so I'll let someone else do the math.

CHI PASSING ATTACK

I still am not convinced that they are going to the head of the class in terms of passing, but in several leagues Cutler, Marshall, and Jeffery were all drafted like they were part of the old vanguard in CHI. If these guys fall, there is no reason to not pick them up and hope for the best. I have seen Jeffery fall to the DEF and PK phase of drafts.

ALL THINGS COLTS

The names aren't pretty and people seem to remember the debacle known as the 2011 Colts. Wayne is flat out a gift from the heavens and is criminally undervalued. Collie has gone back to falling like a log because of his injury and can be had for a song. Both TEs are also late TE2 pick ups. Even Avery might be worth a look as a late round flyer. RGIII seems to get all the fantasy love, and Luck seems to get drafted several rounds later. Many people are still turning their noses up at Donald Brown, to which I say one man's trash is another man's treasure.

PATRIOTS RUNNING BACKS

I will save the lengthy explanation, historical research, and dissertation, but I see one or the other of Vereen or Ridley putting up BJGE numbers (or better). The beauty part is, since no one knows what to make of things in Foxboro, people are shying away from both players. Every day it seems there are reports that one is ahead of the other and the next day it's the opposite. These guys have started falling into the RB30s and 40s. I suspect one of them will end up RB20. I don't care which one, as I have been drafting both of them. IMO, Woodhead is not a factor. He had his chance last year and they barely used him. There will be a Pats RB With 10 TD this year. If not, Brady will pass for 55 TD. But we already know I think Brady will have his best season yet.

BUFFALO RUNNING BACKS

Similar to the NE situation, it looks like people are avoiding BUF backs as some people have forgotten about Jackson's insane start to last year and mostly remember how Spiller ended up. Both guys are available for a discount, and I see Jackson putting up borderline RB1 numbers and Spiller a decent flex play. If one guy gets hurt, the other guy will be Top 10 in those weeks. Weekly rankings if you had those two last year: 15, 2, 4, 9, 2, 2, 5, 19, 11, 18, 32, 12, 30, 1, 4. I have seen Jackson going around RB20 and Spiller around RB30.

NFL SITUATIONS YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID:

FALCONS PLAYERS

The hype on the Falcons passed insane aboot a month ago and has reached sheer hysteria. In some drafts, both Ryan and Jones have been gone in the first round and White early in the second. Rodgers is getting drafted when there are still bonafide clear NFL starters still on the board. Others feel Turner will get the benefit of a ton of goal line looks and his stock has gone back up. Heck, even Gonzalez is going earlier than he was a couple months ago. Douglas is even getting drafted when he went undrafted before. I think the Falcons will have a better offense, but at this rate they are getting drafted like the Warner era Greatest Show On Turf Rams.

STEELERS RUNNING BACKS

If anyone can see with any clarity what will happen in PIT, I am all ears. But there are now 4 guys getting drafted as PIT running backs, and each time the guy that picks one thinks he is getting the golden lottery ticket. I have passed on the PIT backfield, but good luck to those that indulge.

CHIEFS RUNNING BACKS

I hear all the talk of 500 combined carries for Hillis and Charles, but at this point Charles is getting drafted almost like he was in the past and Hillis is getting drafted as a fantasy RB2. To me, both of those seem way too high. I don't know if Charles is going to be the same guy, and I don't know if Hillis will get enough work to be a RB2. I also wonder if the Chiefs improved defense is for real, and if not I think the Chiefs will end up passing more than expected. Oh, and Bowe is always undervalued.

SEATTLE WIDE RECEIVERS

I was in a deep draft recently and 6 Seahawk receivers and 2 tight ends were drafted. Call it a hunch, but I can't see the Seahawks having that many guys even close to fantasy relevant, and I also am not smart enough to decipher who makes the final cut and what their production will be. And having a QB competition won't help map the landscape any. I guess the plu side has that all these guys are off the map and in the fantasy jungle, so if you land the right one and he produces you could have a gem. But it looks clear as mud to me.

LIONS PLAYERS

Look, we all know the Lions put up silly numbers last year. I get that. But as I see it, all they can do is go down from there. They trew the ball nearly 700 times last year. even if the offense is as good as advertised, they may lose attempts by variations in game conditions and field position. Their running back corps can't all be banged up all season, can they? Cause if they aren't, I see a lot more rushing attempts than last year. Megatron is going Top 5, people are pimping Pettigrew something fierce, Young is now getting drafted aheard of proven, starting NFL receivers with fantasy track records, all of which leads me to think that people are buying these guys with the best outcome that they break even as long as the Lions repeat last year's offensive explosion. Fantasy wise, I don't like walking in to things where getting 80 cents on the dollar is a realistic outcome.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS:

TO QB EARLY OR NOT TO QB EARLY

The golden age of QBs has made trying to map out a draft strategy next to impossible. I have seem some leagues where the top QBs fly off the board . . . and then no one gets picked for many rounds. I have seen drafts where top QBs fly off the board and then the second tier guys go in the next few rounds right afterwards. I have seen drafts where the top QBs fly off the board, the next wave comes off pretty quick, and then the position is ignored until the 9th or 10th round. The problem there is, the guys available late are not always the same guys. I will let others decide if waiting that long and getting a RGIII, Cutler, Flacco, or the like is who people want to go to war with. Sometimes Big Ben is available. Other times it's Peyton. Or Schaub. If you can live with one of those guys as a starter, you can still wait on a QB. But if you want a proven big point producer, you have to go all in EARLY.

RUNNING BACKS ARE THIN . . . WAFER THIN

It may be an illusion, but this year more than ever it seems that there is a distinct line in the sand with regard to running backs. Sure, there are fewer 300 carry backs these days, a mess of guys going in the 2nd through 4th rounds, some decent gambles in the rounds after that, but then the cupboard gets bare pretty quick and there are a ton of maybes that could play more or could get more carries or could be a good handcuff, etc. What gets me is that those guys are getting drafted as pretty much backups, handcuffs, or shots in the dark are getting picked while there still are NFL starters at QB, WR, and TE just sitting there and that mystifies me. By that I mean in the middle rounds people are grabbing a piece of the PIT RB pie . . . or the back ups in OAK . . . or one of the multiple WAS backs . . . I think you get the point. None of these guys are assured of any amount of playing time. Strategy wise, go early or go late on RBs, the middle rounds are a total land mine.

TIGHT ENDS

The Big 2 go early early. The next tier goes pretty quick too. But then after that, you can wait and wait and wait. As I see it, after the first two tiers, there really is not a ton of difference with regard to most everyone else. Again, people start grabbing QB2s, backup RBs, maybe the top defenses, etc. when you can get a decent (not mind blowing) TE or two.

That's about it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm buying into the Falcons hype because their schedule is tissue paper soft. The only scary matchup is NYG in week 15.

Good list though, thanks.

Read it cover to cover.

Holy crap, what an awesome effort. I don't agree with every single thing you said up there, but I'd recommend that as a "How To Draft In 2012" guide to anyone.

Thanks for showing the handful of "Here's the best post this board has seen in months" types what a real effort looks like. You done FBG proud.

RUNNING BACKS ARE THIN . . . WAFER THINIt may be an illusion, but this year more than ever it seems that there is a distinct line in the sand with regard to running backs. Sure, there are fewer 300 carry backs these days, a mess of guys going in the 2nd through 4th rounds, some decent gambles in the rounds after that, but then the cupboard gets bare pretty quick and there are a ton of maybes that could play more or could get more carries or could be a good handcuff, etc. What gets me is that those guys are getting drafted as pretty much backups, handcuffs, or shots in the dark are getting picked while there still are NFL starters at QB, WR, and TE just sitting there and that mystifies me. By that I mean in the middle rounds people are grabbing a piece of the PIT RB pie . . . or the back ups in OAK . . . or one of the multiple WAS backs . . . I think you get the point. None of these guys are assured of any amount of playing time. Strategy wise, go early or go late on RBs, the middle rounds are a total land mine.
I was going to post something to this same effect. Some people aren't doing their research and grabbing QBs and WRs like candy in the first 5 rounds. Then when they start going for their RB stable, there's nothing left. I'd suggest loading up at RB early and often. You should have 3 after the first 5 rounds. There's plenty of quality QBs and WRs in the middle and late rounds and you'll be one of the few not scrambling for the back-ups and RBBCs that you mentioned. Also, you're insane if you draft a WR in the second round. If you don't get Calvin, then wait until the third and fourth where there's still studs-a-plenty at the wide-out position. Great post, David.
I am 100% in favor of some combination of 3 RB's and a TE in the first four rounds this year.

I agree with about all of it minus the Lions players. I see Stafford and Calvin being drafted in the top 2 rounds but after that nobody is taking guys early. I just drafted Pettigrew as TE 10 with Wiiten still on the board and Young a WR 2 in an offense that passed for 5,000 yards being drafted pretty late considering those numbers. Rbs on the team are sliding way back and Burleson even farther back than that. Schefler who will probably catch 5 tds this year is also an after thought.

I enjoyed reading your draft thoughts, thanks for taking the time to post.

Great post. I liked what you pointed out about the Saints, I'm going to move Moore him up my draft board for tomorrow

I agree with about all of it minus the Lions players. I see Stafford and Calvin being drafted in the top 2 rounds but after that nobody is taking guys early. I just drafted Pettigrew as TE 10 with Wiiten still on the board and Young a WR 2 in an offense that passed for 5,000 yards being drafted pretty late considering those numbers. Rbs on the team are sliding way back and Burleson even farther back than that. Schefler who will probably catch 5 tds this year is also an after thought.I enjoyed reading your draft thoughts, thanks for taking the time to post.
I think he is talking more about Young, who is going way to high, and the thread were Kevin Smith has been going in rounds 5 and 6 as a running back 2.

Great post. Just one question

Harvin has been getting drafted in the WR 15-20 range, which to me makes no sense. Simpson has been going very late or undrafted. Ponder isn't even a fantasy after thought. I may not love him, but if the Vikes have to pass more to move the ball (which I think they will), than he becomes a servicable QB2. Rudolph has the tools and the skills, but he also has been going too late for his upside. Any of those guys make for intriguing later round picks.
Makes no sense because Harvin should be drafted earlier or later?To me 15-20 seems about right.

Other than Rice and Smith, most people are ignoring the rest of the Ravens. They appear headed to a hurry up offense and a more vertical attack, but that hasn't really been reflected in drafts. Boldin may be old and slow, but who else is going to catch the ball? Smith is going fairly early, but Boldin sits there round after round.
Fair point, but I can't shake the feeling that Boldin is toast.I think you're looking at a stat line of something like 4/47/0 most weeks.

It sure sounds like a MOP thread, so maybe this is an homage to MOP. I can't be bothered with the fancy formatting, bolding, and color schemes, but here goes.

I have now been in a bunch of redraft league drafts including 10, 12, 14, and 16 team drafts. They have run the gambit from standard scoring, PPR scoring, sliding scare PPR, bonus scoring, the whole shebang. These are my general observations based on how things have gone on draft day.

NFL SITUATIONS YOU MAY LOOK TO EXPLOIT:

STL WIDE RECEIVERS

At some point, someone will consider drafting them. Amendola and Smith particularly each have the chance to have 80 catch seasons. It may be one, the other, or both, but at the spot they are getting drafted they are free money in PPR leagues. It makes sense to hedge and grab both. Quick also is getting little love and is worth a flyer. Again, if none of these guys ends up doing anything early in the season, dump them for guys on the waiver wire.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this.

Other than Rice and Smith, most people are ignoring the rest of the Ravens. They appear headed to a hurry up offense and a more vertical attack, but that hasn't really been reflected in drafts. Boldin may be old and slow, but who else is going to catch the ball? Smith is going fairly early, but Boldin sits there round after round. And with the TEs being dinged up, I have seen them go undrafted or in the last round or two. In most leagues, Flacco is so far under the radar that in a couple leagues he went as a QB3.

I think Flacco offers value, Boldin will be middle of the pack, Smith though seems poised to enter the top 10-20.

MIN PLAYERS WITHOUT COOL INITIALS

With ADP not at 100%, MIN may struggle to move the football. Gerhart has been getting drafted all over the map, as some folks think he will be the main guy early in the year. Others that took ADP want him as a handcuff and don't want to risk not having him. A couple times I've seen Gerhart slide, but I am not sure he gets enough work as the season wears on. I'd say he's an ok investment if the price is right. Harvin has been getting drafted in the WR 15-20 range, which to me makes no sense. Simpson has been going very late or undrafted. Ponder isn't even a fantasy after thought. I may not love him, but if the Vikes have to pass more to move the ball (which I think they will), than he becomes a servicable QB2. Rudolph has the tools and the skills, but he also has been going too late for his upside. Any of those guys make for intriguing later round picks.

Agree on Simpson

SD WRs

Rivers always gets his, and many have sniffed out that Gates will see a return to prominence. While that may be true, he alone will not account for 4000+ yards. Between VJax and Tolbert, 114-1639-11 left town. Brown is out for half the season. Mathews is dinged up. Meachem. Floyd, and Royal will all benefit. They all are going too late for a situation that has shown to produce a lot of passing production.

Not high on the San Diego offense in general right now.

SAINTS WR2

Even with all the other distractions going on in New Orleans, WE KNOW that Drew Brees is going to throw the ball 630+ times. Graham and Colston go off the board quickly. And then after that . . . it seems like forever and a day until anyone looks at Moore and Henderson. Meachem moved on, so now there are 2 guys likely to get the production of what used to be three. That trio accounted for 124-1750-16. I wasn't a math major, so I'll let someone else do the math.

Moore is more sizzle than bite and Henderson is a 1 trick pony.

CHI PASSING ATTACK

I still am not convinced that they are going to the head of the class in terms of passing, but in several leagues Cutler, Marshall, and Jeffery were all drafted like they were part of the old vanguard in CHI. If these guys fall, there is no reason to not pick them up and hope for the best. I have seen Jeffery fall to the DEF and PK phase of drafts.

I am very high on Marshall and think Chicago will be a better passing team.

ALL THINGS COLTS

The names aren't pretty and people seem to remember the debacle known as the 2011 Colts. Wayne is flat out a gift from the heavens and is criminally undervalued. Collie has gone back to falling like a log because of his injury and can be had for a song. Both TEs are also late TE2 pick ups. Even Avery might be worth a look as a late round flyer. RGIII seems to get all the fantasy love, and Luck seems to get drafted several rounds later. Many people are still turning their noses up at Donald Brown, to which I say one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Wayne in the 6th/7th seems like an easy pick.

PATRIOTS RUNNING BACKS

I will save the lengthy explanation, historical research, and dissertation, but I see one or the other of Vereen or Ridley putting up BJGE numbers (or better). The beauty part is, since no one knows what to make of things in Foxboro, people are shying away from both players. Every day it seems there are reports that one is ahead of the other and the next day it's the opposite. These guys have started falling into the RB30s and 40s. I suspect one of them will end up RB20. I don't care which one, as I have been drafting both of them. IMO, Woodhead is not a factor. He had his chance last year and they barely used him. There will be a Pats RB With 10 TD this year. If not, Brady will pass for 55 TD. But we already know I think Brady will have his best season yet.

You might be on to something here

BUFFALO RUNNING BACKS

Similar to the NE situation, it looks like people are avoiding BUF backs as some people have forgotten about Jackson's insane start to last year and mostly remember how Spiller ended up. Both guys are available for a discount, and I see Jackson putting up borderline RB1 numbers and Spiller a decent flex play. If one guy gets hurt, the other guy will be Top 10 in those weeks. Weekly rankings if you had those two last year: 15, 2, 4, 9, 2, 2, 5, 19, 11, 18, 32, 12, 30, 1, 4. I have seen Jackson going around RB20 and Spiller around RB30.

Spiller needs to show some consistency

NFL SITUATIONS YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID:

FALCONS PLAYERS

The hype on the Falcons passed insane aboot a month ago and has reached sheer hysteria. In some drafts, both Ryan and Jones have been gone in the first round and White early in the second. Rodgers is getting drafted when there are still bonafide clear NFL starters still on the board. Others feel Turner will get the benefit of a ton of goal line looks and his stock has gone back up. Heck, even Gonzalez is going earlier than he was a couple months ago. Douglas is even getting drafted when he went undrafted before. I think the Falcons will have a better offense, but at this rate they are getting drafted like the Warner era Greatest Show On Turf Rams.

X

STEELERS RUNNING BACKS

If anyone can see with any clarity what will happen in PIT, I am all ears. But there are now 4 guys getting drafted as PIT running backs, and each time the guy that picks one thinks he is getting the golden lottery ticket. I have passed on the PIT backfield, but good luck to those that indulge.

Correct

CHIEFS RUNNING BACKS

I hear all the talk of 500 combined carries for Hillis and Charles, but at this point Charles is getting drafted almost like he was in the past and Hillis is getting drafted as a fantasy RB2. To me, both of those seem way too high. I don't know if Charles is going to be the same guy, and I don't know if Hillis will get enough work to be a RB2. I also wonder if the Chiefs improved defense is for real, and if not I think the Chiefs will end up passing more than expected. Oh, and Bowe is always undervalued.

XX

SEATTLE WIDE RECEIVERS

I was in a deep draft recently and 6 Seahawk receivers and 2 tight ends were drafted. Call it a hunch, but I can't see the Seahawks having that many guys even close to fantasy relevant, and I also am not smart enough to decipher who makes the final cut and what their production will be. And having a QB competition won't help map the landscape any. I guess the plu side has that all these guys are off the map and in the fantasy jungle, so if you land the right one and he produces you could have a gem. But it looks clear as mud to me.

Correct

LIONS PLAYERS

Look, we all know the Lions put up silly numbers last year. I get that. But as I see it, all they can do is go down from there. They trew the ball nearly 700 times last year. even if the offense is as good as advertised, they may lose attempts by variations in game conditions and field position. Their running back corps can't all be banged up all season, can they? Cause if they aren't, I see a lot more rushing attempts than last year. Megatron is going Top 5, people are pimping Pettigrew something fierce, Young is now getting drafted aheard of proven, starting NFL receivers with fantasy track records, all of which leads me to think that people are buying these guys with the best outcome that they break even as long as the Lions repeat last year's offensive explosion. Fantasy wise, I don't like walking in to things where getting 80 cents on the dollar is a realistic outcome.

XXX

OTHER OBSERVATIONS:

TO QB EARLY OR NOT TO QB EARLY

The golden age of QBs has made trying to map out a draft strategy next to impossible. I have seem some leagues where the top QBs fly off the board . . . and then no one gets picked for many rounds. I have seen drafts where top QBs fly off the board and then the second tier guys go in the next few rounds right afterwards. I have seen drafts where the top QBs fly off the board, the next wave comes off pretty quick, and then the position is ignored until the 9th or 10th round. The problem there is, the guys available late are not always the same guys. I will let others decide if waiting that long and getting a RGIII, Cutler, Flacco, or the like is who people want to go to war with. Sometimes Big Ben is available. Other times it's Peyton. Or Schaub. If you can live with one of those guys as a starter, you can still wait on a QB. But if you want a proven big point producer, you have to go all in EARLY.

It may be an illusion, but this year more than ever it seems that there is a distinct line in the sand with regard to running backs. Sure, there are fewer 300 carry backs these days, a mess of guys going in the 2nd through 4th rounds, some decent gambles in the rounds after that, but then the cupboard gets bare pretty quick and there are a ton of maybes that could play more or could get more carries or could be a good handcuff, etc. What gets me is that those guys are getting drafted as pretty much backups, handcuffs, or shots in the dark are getting picked while there still are NFL starters at QB, WR, and TE just sitting there and that mystifies me. By that I mean in the middle rounds people are grabbing a piece of the PIT RB pie . . . or the back ups in OAK . . . or one of the multiple WAS backs . . . I think you get the point. None of these guys are assured of any amount of playing time. Strategy wise, go early or go late on RBs, the middle rounds are a total land mine.

TIGHT ENDS

The Big 2 go early early. The next tier goes pretty quick too. But then after that, you can wait and wait and wait. As I see it, after the first two tiers, there really is not a ton of difference with regard to most everyone else. Again, people start grabbing QB2s, backup RBs, maybe the top defenses, etc. when you can get a decent (not mind blowing) TE or two.

That's about it for now.
This was really great David, was just having some fun with the red Xs on the bottom. I think most of these observations are pretty current and on the money as far as what is going thru owners heads at these drafts.

Great post and insight. Not sure if I agree with your recommendations to avoid the KC RBs and Lions players and I think the STL and SD WRs will be far too inconsistent to be anything other than a bye week fill-in. Other than that, good analysis.

Great post.

I especially appreciate the Baltimore note. The conventional wisdom is that the book has been written on Flacco, but I think he has room to grow.

So far in the preseason their new no huddle is looking sharp. Given the Ravens aging defense (and the pressure to be more explosive to get past New England in the playoffs) I don't think it's crazy to see a team that tries to be more than the Ray Rice Show (bless).

Harvin has been getting drafted in the WR 15-20 range, which to me makes no sense. Simpson has been going very late or undrafted. Ponder isn't even a fantasy after thought. I may not love him, but if the Vikes have to pass more to move the ball (which I think they will), than he becomes a servicable QB2. Rudolph has the tools and the skills, but he also has been going too late for his upside. Any of those guys make for intriguing later round picks.
Makes no sense because Harvin should be drafted earlier or later?To me 15-20 seems about right.
Far, far earlier.

This is exactly what I look for in the premium content.

This is what league winners want. The best in the business to put forth what they see. We'll never agree on everything - but reinforcement of your own opinions is what everyone is after. I understand the reluctance to do this as one correct call gets a half dozen thanks and one miss might burn the server.

Thanks for killing it Mr. Yudkin.

LIONS PLAYERSLook, we all know the Lions put up silly numbers last year. I get that.
Ugh, I think I've been listening to Matthew Berry too much lately.Seriously though, excellent post and this is why I buy a subscription to this site. Observations like this will help immensely by the time my draft rolls around.

this is good stuff, DY - I mostly agree with everything listed below:

BAL SKILLED POSITION PLAYERSOther than Rice and Smith, most people are ignoring the rest of the Ravens. They appear headed to a hurry up offense and a more vertical attack, but that hasn't really been reflected in drafts. Boldin may be old and slow, but who else is going to catch the ball? Smith is going fairly early, but Boldin sits there round after round. And with the TEs being dinged up, I have seen them go undrafted or in the last round or two. In most leagues, Flacco is so far under the radar that in a couple leagues he went as a QB3.
Flacco looks sharp to me so far this preseason - he took a step backwards last year with his accuracy and YPA, but the Ravens still let him set a career high in attempts. I think this year he regains his form and continues to get an increased role in the offense. Dickson will be a great value late.
MIN PLAYERS WITHOUT COOL INITIALSWith ADP not at 100%, MIN may struggle to move the football. Gerhart has been getting drafted all over the map, as some folks think he will be the main guy early in the year. Others that took ADP want him as a handcuff and don't want to risk not having him. A couple times I've seen Gerhart slide, but I am not sure he gets enough work as the season wears on. I'd say he's an ok investment if the price is right. Harvin has been getting drafted in the WR 15-20 range, which to me makes no sense. Simpson has been going very late or undrafted. Ponder isn't even a fantasy after thought. I may not love him, but if the Vikes have to pass more to move the ball (which I think they will), than he becomes a servicable QB2. Rudolph has the tools and the skills, but he also has been going too late for his upside. Any of those guys make for intriguing later round picks.
I think Harvin is going to have a monster season with Peterson limited - if he can stay healthy he's a top 10 WR for sure.
CHI PASSING ATTACKI still am not convinced that they are going to the head of the class in terms of passing, but in several leagues Cutler, Marshall, and Jeffery were all drafted like they were part of the old vanguard in CHI. If these guys fall, there is no reason to not pick them up and hope for the best. I have seen Jeffery fall to the DEF and PK phase of drafts.
I agree with you that Marshall and Jeffery are easily the best WRs Cutler's had with the Bears, and I think the two of them will probably catch more passes between them than the entire Chicago WR corp did last year. I don't think that the Bears as a team are going to be throwing the ball much more than they did last year, though - Michael Bush gives them a better rushing attack than they had last year and I think they'll use him more than most people think. Between Bush on the one hand and improved WRs on the other, I think Matt Forte's fantasy value is going to take a hit this season. I really don't see him as this perfectly safe late first round RB1 like most sites are ranking him....which brings me to:
BUFFALO RUNNING BACKSSimilar to the NE situation, it looks like people are avoiding BUF backs as some people have forgotten about Jackson's insane start to last year and mostly remember how Spiller ended up. Both guys are available for a discount, and I see Jackson putting up borderline RB1 numbers and Spiller a decent flex play. If one guy gets hurt, the other guy will be Top 10 in those weeks. Weekly rankings if you had those two last year: 15, 2, 4, 9, 2, 2, 5, 19, 11, 18, 32, 12, 30, 1, 4. I have seen Jackson going around RB20 and Spiller around RB30.
I think the rumors of Fred Jackson's demise are way premature - I believe he's still a more complete back than CJ Spiller by a solid margin, and he looks back to 100% again. The guy was on pace for over 2000 combined yards from scrimmage last year before his injury! I think Spiller's going to be a bigger part of the offense than he was last season, but I also think that Buffalo is going to increase their RB usage a lot at the same time. Their backs are the strength of their team, and they have a nice offensive line. I think Jackson will get at least a 60/40 split of the RB touches and put up a career season - imo, he's going to provide around the same numbers people are drafting Forte for, but you can get it from Jackson a full round later.
ALL THINGS COLTSThe names aren't pretty and people seem to remember the debacle known as the 2011 Colts. Wayne is flat out a gift from the heavens and is criminally undervalued. Collie has gone back to falling like a log because of his injury and can be had for a song. Both TEs are also late TE2 pick ups. Even Avery might be worth a look as a late round flyer. RGIII seems to get all the fantasy love, and Luck seems to get drafted several rounds later. Many people are still turning their noses up at Donald Brown, to which I say one man's trash is another man's treasure.
don't like Collie, but I really like Wayne, Luck and Donald Brown.
NFL SITUATIONS YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID:FALCONS PLAYERSThe hype on the Falcons passed insane aboot a month ago and has reached sheer hysteria. In some drafts, both Ryan and Jones have been gone in the first round and White early in the second. Rodgers is getting drafted when there are still bonafide clear NFL starters still on the board. Others feel Turner will get the benefit of a ton of goal line looks and his stock has gone back up. Heck, even Gonzalez is going earlier than he was a couple months ago. Douglas is even getting drafted when he went undrafted before. I think the Falcons will have a better offense, but at this rate they are getting drafted like the Warner era Greatest Show On Turf Rams.STEELERS RUNNING BACKSIf anyone can see with any clarity what will happen in PIT, I am all ears. But there are now 4 guys getting drafted as PIT running backs, and each time the guy that picks one thinks he is getting the golden lottery ticket. I have passed on the PIT backfield, but good luck to those that indulge.CHIEFS RUNNING BACKSI hear all the talk of 500 combined carries for Hillis and Charles, but at this point Charles is getting drafted almost like he was in the past and Hillis is getting drafted as a fantasy RB2. To me, both of those seem way too high. I don't know if Charles is going to be the same guy, and I don't know if Hillis will get enough work to be a RB2. I also wonder if the Chiefs improved defense is for real, and if not I think the Chiefs will end up passing more than expected. Oh, and Bowe is always undervalued.SEATTLE WIDE RECEIVERSI was in a deep draft recently and 6 Seahawk receivers and 2 tight ends were drafted. Call it a hunch, but I can't see the Seahawks having that many guys even close to fantasy relevant, and I also am not smart enough to decipher who makes the final cut and what their production will be. And having a QB competition won't help map the landscape any. I guess the plu side has that all these guys are off the map and in the fantasy jungle, so if you land the right one and he produces you could have a gem. But it looks clear as mud to me.LIONS PLAYERSLook, we all know the Lions put up silly numbers last year. I get that. But as I see it, all they can do is go down from there. They trew the ball nearly 700 times last year. even if the offense is as good as advertised, they may lose attempts by variations in game conditions and field position. Their running back corps can't all be banged up all season, can they? Cause if they aren't, I see a lot more rushing attempts than last year. Megatron is going Top 5, people are pimping Pettigrew something fierce, Young is now getting drafted aheard of proven, starting NFL receivers with fantasy track records, all of which leads me to think that people are buying these guys with the best outcome that they break even as long as the Lions repeat last year's offensive explosion. Fantasy wise, I don't like walking in to things where getting 80 cents on the dollar is a realistic outcome.
agree on the Falcons and Seahawks. I agree that Pitt RBs are an avoid for the most part, but I think that Dwyer has looked really good in the preseason and is a nice late lottery ticket. I disagree on the Lions - their running game is way behind their passing offense (although I do like Leshoure as another later round possibility).

Thanks for the great info David. I was actually going to post a question on the Audible thread asking "what have you guys been seeing in the real drafts?" Perhaps we have stumbled upon a great new idea for subscriber content. Or maybe there is already some content like this on the site, and I just haven't found it.

We spend all offseason mulling over mock drafts, and people's write ups abot why they took player X in round Y. But what you just wrote is what a lot of us need/want..some good analysis from real, live drafts that have taken place. I feel much better about my drafts this weekend now.

As for what you wrote, I do agree that there is some very nice value to be had in the Baltimore and San Diego passing games. I am hoping to nab Torrey Smith in both of my drafts tomorrow, and also will look to add M. Floyd later. I also like the value that Bowe may represent. I will be loading up on RB's early, so I really need to hit big on my WR's in the middle to late rounds.

hester seems to be involved in the chi gameplan more than i thought. he is getting a lot of screens and runs, as well as being the 3rd option in the passing game. i thought kellen davis would be a nice sleeper but it looks like he will be kept in to help that bad o-line.

THIS kind of information from this site is why I subscribe ......Fantastic information the average drafter wont have but we can tuck away and use at the right time in your draft and lock up a productive player!

Thanks David!!

RUNNING BACKS ARE THIN . . . WAFER THINIt may be an illusion, but this year more than ever it seems that there is a distinct line in the sand with regard to running backs. Sure, there are fewer 300 carry backs these days, a mess of guys going in the 2nd through 4th rounds, some decent gambles in the rounds after that, but then the cupboard gets bare pretty quick and there are a ton of maybes that could play more or could get more carries or could be a good handcuff, etc. What gets me is that those guys are getting drafted as pretty much backups, handcuffs, or shots in the dark are getting picked while there still are NFL starters at QB, WR, and TE just sitting there and that mystifies me. By that I mean in the middle rounds people are grabbing a piece of the PIT RB pie . . . or the back ups in OAK . . . or one of the multiple WAS backs . . . I think you get the point. None of these guys are assured of any amount of playing time. Strategy wise, go early or go late on RBs, the middle rounds are a total land mine.
I know everyone keeps saying this on RBs, but I'm just not buying it. I'm not going to spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on RBs I'm less than enamored with when there are absolute stud WRs to be had. Taking my Tier 4 and 5 RBs just because "they're thin" when I have Tier 2 and 3 WRs on the board doesn't work for me. I'll load up on the WR value while people draft Frank Gore, Jonathan Stewart, Shonn Greene, etc. Granted, this strategy only works in a league where you are confident that you can trade (which I am in my home league.) In my 12 team PPR we start 2 RB/3 WR/No flex, and to me, RB2 is the best position to come out of the draft weak at, if you do have a weakness.Last night from 3 I mocked the following:RodgersSprolesMarshallLloydColstonDeckerWayneDeangeloAt first appearance everyone will say "ZOMG ur RBs suck" but I'm 5 deep at WR, and I'm very confident Wayne & Decker are not only WR3s, but likely WR2s. As soon as other owners start realizing they'll be trotting out Santonio Holmes, a SD Wide Receiver, or Justin Blackmon as a week 1 starter, I'll come calling for a 2nd or 3rd round RB. I just don't believe in passing up the value of these WRs because there are a lot of them. I want them all, and want to trade them. Am I really supposed to take Donald Brown over Marques Colston?

I was going to post something to this same effect. Some people aren't doing their research and grabbing QBs and WRs like candy in the first 5 rounds. Then when they start going for their RB stable, there's nothing left. I'd suggest loading up at RB early and often. You should have 3 after the first 5 rounds. There's plenty of quality QBs and WRs in the middle and late rounds and you'll be one of the few not scrambling for the back-ups and RBBCs that you mentioned. Also, you're insane if you draft a WR in the second round. If you don't get Calvin, then wait until the third and fourth where there's still studs-a-plenty at the wide-out position. Great post, David.
You basically just parroted what most industry guys have been saying for the last two months word for word. ;)

As for this issue in particular, a lot will depend on the size of the league. Ten and twelve team leagues things may not look so bad. But try drafting in 14 or 16 team leagues where you have to start multiple RBs and have multple flex spots to fill each week. Most fanatsy teams carry 5-6 RBs x 16 teams = 90 RBs give or take.My point there was, that after a certain number of backs come off the board, I don't see much point in latching on to back ups of back ups. Maybe it's just me, but I would still rather take more RBs early and pick up WRs later, as there are more WR to go around than RBs that will play regularly. Better stated, give me a Smith or an Amendola over one of the RB puzzle pieces in WAS or PIT.

Last night from 3 I mocked the following:RodgersSprolesMarshallLloydColstonDeckerWayneDeangeloAt first appearance everyone will say "ZOMG ur RBs suck" but I'm 5 deep at WR, and I'm very confident Wayne & Decker are not only WR3s, but likely WR2s. As soon as other owners start realizing they'll be trotting out Santonio Holmes, a SD Wide Receiver, or Justin Blackmon as a week 1 starter, I'll come calling for a 2nd or 3rd round RB. I just don't believe in passing up the value of these WRs because there are a lot of them. I want them all, and want to trade them. Am I really supposed to take Donald Brown over Marques Colston?
In a competitive league all the other owners are going to be very good at WR as well, because WR is so deep this year. On top of that, they are going to have 2-3 starting RBs vs your 1 starter. WRs are "safer" in that they don't get injured as often as RBs, which means it is more likely to be a RB that a team will need to trade for. There are not enough RBs to simply be able to trade for one, unless one or two teams hit on multiple mid-late round RBs.If you have to start 2+ RBs, this mock draft team would be in trouble. It is not an advantage to have great WR4s and WR5s, unless you have 4-5 WR1s (because then your WR4/5 would have real trade value). Everybody is likely to have two very good WR starters in a standard 12 team league, you won't get a very good RB in trade for Reggie Wayne or Decker.As far as Wayne and Decker being WR2s, here is the problem: they both might be in a 15 player tier that has less than 2ppg separation. Being a WR2 isn't meaningful if the WR3s aren't far behind. So while they both may represent good draft value, their trade value won't be that great.

Harvins numbers after ponder took over were insane. He had something like 100 offensive touches after that point which was 30% more than the next guy. He gets rush yards and touchdowns as well. Many folks (myself included) think the only way he finishes out of the top 10 is if he gets Hirt.

Harvins numbers after ponder took over were insane. He had something like 100 offensive touches after that point which was 30% more than the next guy. He gets rush yards and touchdowns as well. Many folks (myself included) think the only way he finishes out of the top 10 is if he gets Hirt.
& he only played in 58% of their offensive snaps.

I'll take the other side of this argument all day as I have the laws of supply and demand on my side. First off, you spent a 2nd round pick on an RB. Second, your example of Brown over Colston doesn't apply. You're talking about a 4th round WR vs. a 6th round RB. Assuming you're going to load up at a position in order to trade, it'll be much easier to trade away an RB2 than it will be to trade away a WR2. Why would I want to trade away my RB2 for one of your WRs when there's a good chance my WRs are more than adequate. Let's take your mock as an example. Right now you're rolling with Williams as your RB2. That's not good. Your premise is that you can trade Colston or Lloyd to upgrade your RB2. What quality of RB do you think you'll get for them? Are you suggesting you'd get someone drafted in the first or second round? I'm certainly not going to trade you Steven Jackson for Brandon Lloyd. You're better off grabbing Turner or Bradshaw in the 4th so you don't have a bunch of unused bench points and aren't pressured to make a trade.
A couple things. If I have Rodgers and those first 3 wideouts, I'm actually fine starting the season with Deangelo as my RB2. All of this hinges (as most all our drafts/seasons do) on me being right about Marques Colston or Brandon Lloyd. Right now would you trade Steven Jackson for Lloyd? No. After week 2 if Lloyd's sitting at 14 catches, 220 yards, and 3 TDs and Steve Jackson hasn't found the endzone yet, then would you? Many owners would and will. Fantasy is a fluid beast, and what we think on August 25th may be drastically different than September 12th. I'm banking on myself being right, and others being wrong. Isn't that all we can do?

And I never see Bradshaw in the 4th (remember, 4.10) and have seen Turner only a handful of times. Brown's ADP (using FFCalc) is now 5.02, one spot off of Colston, who is one off of Lloyd. So yes, Brown (or Hillis, KSmith, Greene) is a decision there.

A fantastic article, and great discussion as well. I've been playing for a while now, and I don't ever remember my mock drafts coming out this bad before. I was really jazzed about trying to go for an elite at QB and TE (or Calvin). But the RBs absolutely drop off a cliff so fast! After the top 3, there are immediate question marks, then maybe Forte and Steven Jackson, then more question marks. By the middle of the second round, 8 or more backs are gone and you're looking at the likes of Jamaal Charles and Ryan Mathews - in other words, more question marks. If I wait til the third, I'm looking at Doug Martin as my RB1.

I honestly don't know if I can afford to not take a back in the first, unless I have a very late pick and can get a second-tier guy in the early second.

Of course, my league surprises me every single year, so maybe the pickings won't be quite so slim.

A fantastic article, and great discussion as well. I've been playing for a while now, and I don't ever remember my mock drafts coming out this bad before. I was really jazzed about trying to go for an elite at QB and TE (or Calvin). But the RBs absolutely drop off a cliff so fast! After the top 3, there are immediate question marks, then maybe Forte and Steven Jackson, then more question marks. By the middle of the second round, 8 or more backs are gone and you're looking at the likes of Jamaal Charles and Ryan Mathews - in other words, more question marks. If I wait til the third, I'm looking at Doug Martin as my RB1.

I honestly don't know if I can afford to not take a back in the first, unless I have a very late pick and can get a second-tier guy in the early second.

Of course, my league surprises me every single year, so maybe the pickings won't be quite so slim.
Not so bad if you ask me.

Curious if there is any updated takes on this post as we near the start of the regular season?

For instance, has there been any separation in NO between Moore and Henderson? Bradford in STL has had a strong preseason and Amendola caught a TD this past week? There any separation there?

Otherwise, excellent OP, Mr. Yudkin. Excellent.

& he only played in 58% of their offensive snaps.
Make sure to bump Harvin up a few notches if your league counts kick/punt return yardage too. Mine does, and the dude finished as the #4 overall WR in fantasy points last year (and #6 WR in 2010).

I know everyone keeps saying this on RBs, but I'm just not buying it. I'm not going to spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on RBs I'm less than enamored with when there are absolute stud WRs to be had. Taking my Tier 4 and 5 RBs just because "they're thin" when I have Tier 2 and 3 WRs on the board doesn't work for me. I'll load up on the WR value while people draft Frank Gore, Jonathan Stewart, Shonn Greene, etc. Granted, this strategy only works in a league where you are confident that you can trade (which I am in my home league.) In my 12 team PPR we start 2 RB/3 WR/No flex, and to me, RB2 is the best position to come out of the draft weak at, if you do have a weakness.Last night from 3 I mocked the following:

Rodgers

Sproles

Marshall

Lloyd

Colston

Decker

Wayne

Deangelo

At first appearance everyone will say "ZOMG ur RBs suck" but I'm 5 deep at WR, and I'm very confident Wayne & Decker are not only WR3s, but likely WR2s. As soon as other owners start realizing they'll be trotting out Santonio Holmes, a SD Wide Receiver, or Justin Blackmon as a week 1 starter, I'll come calling for a 2nd or 3rd round RB.

I just don't believe in passing up the value of these WRs because there are a lot of them. I want them all, and want to trade them. Am I really supposed to take Donald Brown over Marques Colston?
You may call but dont be surprised if they hang up on you in laughter. Rb's always come at a premium. Try getting a decent RB off the waiver wired then do the same with a serviceable wr and let me know which is easier.

BUFFALO RUNNING BACKSSimilar to the NE situation, it looks like people are avoiding BUF backs as some people have forgotten about Jackson's insane start to last year and mostly remember how Spiller ended up. Both guys are available for a discount, and I see Jackson putting up borderline RB1 numbers and Spiller a decent flex play. If one guy gets hurt, the other guy will be Top 10 in those weeks. Weekly rankings if you had those two last year: 15, 2, 4, 9, 2, 2, 5, 19, 11, 18, 32, 12, 30, 1, 4. I have seen Jackson going around RB20 and Spiller around RB30.
I think the rumors of Fred Jackson's demise are way premature - I believe he's still a more complete back than CJ Spiller by a solid margin, and he looks back to 100% again. The guy was on pace for over 2000 combined yards from scrimmage last year before his injury! I think Spiller's going to be a bigger part of the offense than he was last season, but I also think that Buffalo is going to increase their RB usage a lot at the same time. Their backs are the strength of their team, and they have a nice offensive line. I think Jackson will get at least a 60/40 split of the RB touches and put up a career season - imo, he's going to provide around the same numbers people are drafting Forte for, but you can get it from Jackson a full round later.
I'm not sure what people are remembering or forgetting about Jackson and Spiller last year but for me, these guys are just talented enough (and the overall situation uncertain enough) that I was passing on both this year. The 60/40 split makes sense to me but I don't see how that translates to a "career season". Fantasy wise, I'm looking for a clear lead back situation and this one is way too murky for me.

You may call but dont be surprised if they hang up on you in laughter. Rb's always come at a premium. Try getting a decent RB off the waiver wired then do the same with a serviceable wr and let me know which is easier.
:goodposting: This years drafts struck me as a year where you absolutely do NOT want to sleep on drafting RBs for the first few rounds.

:goodposting: This years drafts struck me as a year where you absolutely do NOT want to sleep on drafting RBs for the first few rounds.
I was never all in on RB early approaches even when they were the dominant school of thought in the 1990s and early 2000s. However, I've always looked for value balanced by seeing pockets of available players in the middle rounds. Although I don't feel it was mandatory, this is the first year in a half dozen or so in which the likely middle round landscape biased me toward RB early if the value differential was not too large. I didn't feel this way initially, but it became clear as I ratcheted down my positional tiers. You can see my progression by comparing posts from early August to late August, not that anyone really cares to see what I wrote.I still think you can't go into the draft insisting on getting two RBs in the top three picks or some static idea. However, the idea of at least getting one RB early to build around should be a strong factor in your early round decision process. In past years, people could consistently find RB value in the 6th round or later, and the WRs in rounds 2 and 3 were significantly better than rounds 4 and 5 counterparts. This year, I didn't see as great a separation at WR and the mid-round RBs were not as apparent. And of course, early QB and early TE possibilities were stronger this year than I can ever remember seeing before.The best advice I got from the collective wisdom of the Shark Pool was in being sure to see the different landscape this season. I don't know if I would have come to the exact same conclusion without the input of many in these threads. I feel like it really helped me, so thanks!

Really great post. I agree with most of what you said, and for those that haven't drafted yet this is a really helpful read.

I think that your commentary regarding atl and det should exclude megatron and Matt Ryan, I don't think anyone on this board is taking Ryan in the first. I am also not high on the stl receivers. Bradford hasn't shown that he will be a good NFL QB.

Thanks for this analysis Yudkin. Read this post earlier today and it helped my synthesize some of my thinking going into my main $ draft this evening. Picking from the 11 hole I was able to be patient and get some awesome (imo) value, including Vick in the 6th, both NE RBs to to be my 4th RB, and Lance Moore very late. Most (only?)Valuable Shark Pool thread I've read in a long long while.

Users who are viewing this thread