What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Money out of the Market (1 Viewer)

Just for fun let's do another hypothetical experiment comparing a Buy and Hold Portfolio vs A Trend Investing Portfolio.

I'll do my best to favor the Buy and Holder for this experiment.

Here are the assumptions with a 30 year time horizon.

1) We recognize that over the 30 year time frame there will bull markets and bear markets. There is good cyclical evidence that bear markets occur every 50 months (+/- 6 months). But in order to favor the buy and holder let's say that bull markets last 60 months, and bear markets last 12 months.

2) Both will invest in the same ETFs, with the same level of asset allocation. Let's say over the course of every 5 year Bull market the returns for both portfolios will be 100%.

2) The average bear market decline since 1900 is 31.5% (according to Ned Davis Research). For ease let's just call it 30%. So every 6th year the buy and holder's portfolio will lose 30%. The Trend Investor will still get dinged by a bear...let's say by 10%.

3) Both portfolios begin with a balance of $100k and at the bottom of a bear market. Both portfolios exit after year 29 at a bull market high. The luckiest entry and exit timing for a 30 year period.

Here's how those portfolios look over the time horizon:

Buy and Hold Portfolio: Open at $100k

1 thru 5 Bull- $200,000

6 Bear- $140,000

7 thru 11 Bull- $280,000

12 Bear- $196,000

13 thru 17 Bull- $392,000

18 Bear- $274,400

19 thru 23 Bull- $548,800

24 Bear- $384,160

25 thru 29 Bull- $768,320

Here's the Trend Investor Portfolio: Open at 100k

1 thru 5 Bull- $200,000

6 Bear- $180,000

7 thru 11 Bull- $360,000

12 Bear- $324,000

13 thru 17 Bull- $648,000

18 Bear- $583,200

19 thru 23 Bull- $1,166,400

24 Bear- $1,049,760

25 thru 29 Bull- $2,099,520

The Trend Investors results over 30 years is almost 3x better than the buy and holders. To me it's that difference that makes all the difference in the world.

Hey Siff. Got time for a quick question on your 'perfect indicator'? Your PM is full and not accepting messages...

I have a question for entering and exiting via 401K. When you say its time to start entering long positions, over what time span do you recommend entering? All in one day? 20%/day for 5 days? 20%/week for 5 weeks? 10%/month?

Hey Siff. Got time for a quick question on your 'perfect indicator'? Your PM is full and not accepting messages...
I don't know it says I have no messages.
Odd... just says the member is not accepting new messages. Anyways, the question is: does your indicator work to time stock accumulation points instead of entry & exit points? Lets take Apple for example. Lots of people have done well buying and holding apple for the last 3 years, and continued to buy whenever they had extra savings. If they used your indicator to time accumulation points only, without selling, how well would they have done? I'm thinking the tax savings would make the 2 strategies somewhat close?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun let's do another hypothetical experiment comparing a Buy and Hold Portfolio vs A Trend Investing Portfolio.I'll do my best to favor the Buy and Holder for this experiment.Here are the assumptions with a 30 year time horizon.1) We recognize that over the 30 year time frame there will bull markets and bear markets. There is good cyclical evidence that bear markets occur every 50 months (+/- 6 months). But in order to favor the buy and holder let's say that bull markets last 60 months, and bear markets last 12 months. 2) Both will invest in the same ETFs, with the same level of asset allocation. Let's say over the course of every 5 year Bull market the returns for both portfolios will be 100%.2) The average bear market decline since 1900 is 31.5% (according to Ned Davis Research). For ease let's just call it 30%. So every 6th year the buy and holder's portfolio will lose 30%. The Trend Investor will still get dinged by a bear...let's say by 10%.3) Both portfolios begin with a balance of $100k and at the bottom of a bear market. Both portfolios exit after year 29 at a bull market high. The luckiest entry and exit timing for a 30 year period.Here's how those portfolios look over the time horizon:Buy and Hold Portfolio: Open at $100k1 thru 5 Bull- $200,0006 Bear- $140,0007 thru 11 Bull- $280,00012 Bear- $196,00013 thru 17 Bull- $392,00018 Bear- $274,40019 thru 23 Bull- $548,80024 Bear- $384,16025 thru 29 Bull- $768,320Here's the Trend Investor Portfolio: Open at 100k1 thru 5 Bull- $200,0006 Bear- $180,0007 thru 11 Bull- $360,00012 Bear- $324,00013 thru 17 Bull- $648,00018 Bear- $583,20019 thru 23 Bull- $1,166,40024 Bear- $1,049,76025 thru 29 Bull- $2,099,520The Trend Investors results over 30 years is almost 3x better than the buy and holders. To me it's that difference that makes all the difference in the world.
Siff, i realize you put together the best case scenario for the buy and hold investor and that he's unlikely to achieve that level of success.However, didn't you also give the trend investor the best case scenario?I mean, what if the trend investor ####s up once or twice?

I don't know it says I have no messages.
Odd... just says the member is not accepting new messages. Anyways, the question is: does your indicator work to time stock accumulation points instead of entry & exit points? Lets take Apple for example. Lots of people have done well buying and holding apple for the last 3 years, and continued to buy whenever they had extra savings. If they used your indicator to time accumulation points only, without selling, how well would they have done? I'm thinking the tax savings would make the 2 strategies somewhat close?
The point of the PI post was to show those who say "I don't have time...I'm limited in what I can and cannot trade...etc" that in fact you can if you want and it doesn't take much time or effort or skill.Individual stock is traded slightly differently. But with the same indicators used to compile the PI. Results are extraordinary. I've posted charts of AAPL on my blog quite a few times.

Just for fun let's do another hypothetical experiment comparing a Buy and Hold Portfolio vs A Trend Investing Portfolio.I'll do my best to favor the Buy and Holder for this experiment.Here are the assumptions with a 30 year time horizon.1) We recognize that over the 30 year time frame there will bull markets and bear markets. There is good cyclical evidence that bear markets occur every 50 months (+/- 6 months). But in order to favor the buy and holder let's say that bull markets last 60 months, and bear markets last 12 months. 2) Both will invest in the same ETFs, with the same level of asset allocation. Let's say over the course of every 5 year Bull market the returns for both portfolios will be 100%.2) The average bear market decline since 1900 is 31.5% (according to Ned Davis Research). For ease let's just call it 30%. So every 6th year the buy and holder's portfolio will lose 30%. The Trend Investor will still get dinged by a bear...let's say by 10%.3) Both portfolios begin with a balance of $100k and at the bottom of a bear market. Both portfolios exit after year 29 at a bull market high. The luckiest entry and exit timing for a 30 year period.Here's how those portfolios look over the time horizon:Buy and Hold Portfolio: Open at $100k1 thru 5 Bull- $200,0006 Bear- $140,0007 thru 11 Bull- $280,00012 Bear- $196,00013 thru 17 Bull- $392,00018 Bear- $274,40019 thru 23 Bull- $548,80024 Bear- $384,16025 thru 29 Bull- $768,320Here's the Trend Investor Portfolio: Open at 100k1 thru 5 Bull- $200,0006 Bear- $180,0007 thru 11 Bull- $360,00012 Bear- $324,00013 thru 17 Bull- $648,00018 Bear- $583,20019 thru 23 Bull- $1,166,40024 Bear- $1,049,76025 thru 29 Bull- $2,099,520The Trend Investors results over 30 years is almost 3x better than the buy and holders. To me it's that difference that makes all the difference in the world.
Siff, i realize you put together the best case scenario for the buy and hold investor and that he's unlikely to achieve that level of success.However, didn't you also give the trend investor the best case scenario?I mean, what if the trend investor ####s up once or twice?
Well in the post that includes the Goog Docs spreadsheet, I did show that Trend Investing over a period of years from the bottom of a bear outperforms buy and hold. So I'm giving up quite a bit there to bias the buy and hold trader equaling their returns over that 5 year bull period.After a 5 year bull, I'd be shocked to find the PI loses 10% from a bear. SHOCKED. Not saying it couldn't happen. That's why I gave up 10% off every bear trend.With that said...I think the thread has gotten way off target, and I apologize for that. It needs to move elsewhere. I'll address some of these issues on my blog and will probably copy there what I've written here. Not in this thread anymore.In the end and speaking to everyone in the FFA reading this. Invest how you think best for you. I have my method. I think it is pretty logical and practical and simple. I've always been pretty happy to share it. If you are convinced your way is better...Cramers way is better...Wall Streets way is better. I'm all good with that too.

I would love to use your recommendations for my 401K. If i'm understanding you correctly we should begin to allocate our money as suggested in the above post?
The asset allocation breakdown is what is recommend by the AAII for investors with a 30+ year investment horizon. It's an aggressive model. I feel I can be aggressive because I pay attention to every bear market, and will be protected when the next big one comes. The most common feedback I get is "Siffs method is too complicated...in my 401k I'm not allowed to trade XYZ..." What ever ETF I pick someone will have an issue with it. If you can't trade SPDR's...I'm sure Vanguard has a similar fund...or Fidelity...or Schwab. The results should be similar, though mileage may vary.
So I wanted to clarify something. On that breakdown you gave from AAII, are you saying that when the PI turns bullish that then I should just use 20 percent to buy whatever large-cap mutual fund is offered to me on USAA, along with the other respective funds that you identified in your allocation breakdown?You're talking about buying funds, not individual stocks? And does your PI when it turns bullish mean you should buy in all of those categories at once, and then sell all when it turns bearish, or is it analyzing just one sector and not another?And is it your thought that all these different funds, whether it be Vanguard, USAA, whatever, would work to roughly the same level of success using your method since they obviously would be made up some varying amount of different stocks?
Another question, Siff.With your PI method, you're not buying certain stocks/funds when things turn bearish, right? That's simply your signal to sell those funds that you bought when you got the signal to buy? And so you simply keep buying and selling the same funds over and over again as your PI flips back and forth?
Am I understanding this correctly?

I have a question for entering and exiting via 401K. When you say its time to start entering long positions, over what time span do you recommend entering? All in one day? 20%/day for 5 days? 20%/week for 5 weeks? 10%/month?
I know you're getting hammered in here with questions, but would you mind answering this? Seems the one thing no one ever addresses.

How will thus work for those with multiple accounts and various holdings within those accounts which would Cost five or ten dollars to sell each? If I were to get out of the market entirely, it world cost me around two to three hundred dollars just in trades. I could just trade our of my largest account but that's only 1/3 of my assets.

I ran the numbers from 3/27/09- Present. Basically a 3+ year non-stop bull market. Had I gone back 1 year in time to 2008 the results would be significantly better because the PI is bearish most of 2008 and fully bearish from early September 2008 to March 27, 2009 (the date I began the simulation). Meaning I'm cherry picking dates in favor of the Buy and Holder...not the trend investor. During that time you would have needed to be active in the market for 13 days only- opening the 5 positions 7 times when the market turns Bullish and closing them when the market turns Bearish 6 times. Assuming it takes an hour to do that...a total of 13 hours in about 4 years.
But don't you need to check the indicator every day? How often do you have to run the charts, and how much analysis goes into deciding "is today the day I buy/sell?" I think it has to be more than 13 hours worth of work over 4 years. It seems like it would have to take some amount of time every day, right?

I've got a lot less money than that, but it's broken down similarly. Most of it, about 80%, is in an IRA in one of those target date funds, and then I've built up what is now the other 20% over the years in a Roth IRA that was previously just holding some USAA mutual funds. I guess it's been about a year now where I decided to use that 20% in the Roth and try to actively manage. So it's not a ton of money, which limits what I can do. I'm looking to do mostly short-term stuff there.I'm going to run down some of the trades I've made just in case someone somehow benefits from my experience. I've always read "buy what you know," in other words, companies that you're familiar with and like.So I spent probably half of that 20% buying Buffalo Wild Wings at $67. Sold it maybe a month or so later at $87. I pay $9 a trade through USAA. So I was obviously feeling pretty good about a nice profit there.I had also swung for the fences on the local horse track because there was talk about a racino passing as part of trying to get a new football stadium built. So that was more high-risk, but I didn't put that much in. Didn't pan out, dumped for not too bad of a loss.Then had bought Target and Coors. Didn't hold either very long. Very small gain on Target, offset by small loss on Coors.Sold because I followed Dodds' advice on EXK. Put about half of my 20% on that and it pretty much stunk. I held it and held it, and while Dodds claimed to be making money hand over fist with his super-secret formula on that stock, and I took it in the shorts. I did buy some more when it had bottomed out at one point, and then at the next mild bounce, I sold it all and was happy at that point with what was still a pretty big loss. I see it really hasn't moved at all since I dumped it, so that's good.Then I also put a decent chunk of this account into PLG on General Malaise's advice. He was clear that it was a long-term hold in his opinion. So I bought it with that in mind, and I'm still holding it, but it's way, way down at this point from where I bought and I'm just holding and hoping.I also took some of the money from my sale of EXK and bought Buffalo Wild Wings again when it dipped to around 70 again, then sold when it bounced back, but this time a much more modest profit.Bought back into some of my conservative mutual fund accounts for a while to just sort of calm down for a while until I found something else to buy. Then bought 3M in an attempt to ease back in for a while, but then sold that very quickly basically breaking even because I wanted to free up all the money in that account (other than the still-holding PLG) when Apple started to dive.I wanted to get back to "buying what you know," and I felt like there was a great opportunity with Apple. So I bought Apple at $590 in late November thinking I was getting a great bargain. It proceeded to plummet. 10 days later, I bought another chunk, about half as much as the initial purchase, at $533. So now my entire Roth account is sitting in PLG (10%) and Apple (90%). And Apple is still below $530 as of this morning.So all of my Buffalo Wild Wings and Target gains and have been wiped out and then some by losses on EXK, and then those that I'm currently sitting on in PLG and AAPL.The point of all of this is to show how dumb I am. Honestly. I followed the advice of strangers on a message board and lost badly.I bought and sold with random emotion, sometimes selling at the bottom while other times refusing to sell and cut my losses, only to see things plummet further.So I really don't know what any of this means, other than I - as I've said - I don't know what I'm doing. Now, knowing that, I'm only using this Roth for this active trading so that I could "afford" to lose this money. But obviously I don't want to. This experience has only further cemented my beliefs that I just don't get the stock market and things go up and down for no reason. And I feel like the only way you can make money is if you're lucky or if you get some inside tip.Again, I'm sure that's my ignorance showing, but I don't even know where to start with trying to start educating myself. It seems like all these so-called "experts" are idiots that swing and miss more often than not, and so you have the Bogleheads saying to buy and hold mutual funds. And then you have Siff saying those days are gone, and I tend to agree with his rationale, but I still don't know what to do about it.And, really, I think the big problem for me personally and many others I'm sure is that I don't have enough money to make money. Dodds is out there buying massive chunks of EXK or whatever, and so when the thing goes up a nickel, he sells and makes a significant amount. Good for him, a guy that already has money. (And, yes, I understand that works the opposite way, too).But for me, a stock has to go up quite a bit at the levels I'm buying in for me to make any worthwhile profit. Buffalo Wild Wings was great, everything else, not so much.I'll stop rambling now.
It goes to show that tips are for waiters, that none of us really know what is going to happen with any one individual stock unless you're on the inside.I made my $1000 mistake by investing in a Dodds choice also with NVDA.It was a valuable lesson and i'll never forget it.I'm not a stock day trader and i'll never do something like that again.I think that knowing yourself is important when it comes to trading and investing... what your REAL risk tolerance is, and what constitutes success to you.I found out my risk tolerance wasn't what i thought it was.I'd rather rack up a lot of little wins and rarely if ever lose, even if it means i'll never hit a big time double up or 5 bagger.Income Investing has been perfect for me. I like the little rewards in the form of dividends every quarter. Just building up my money a little at a time.I don't need the thrill of a huge score.... i just want to take my money and make money... preferred stocks, REITs, ETFs... they've been great choices for me.

I'm learning and listening. :goodposting:

Let me try to answer all those questions:

1) First the Asset Allocation model from AAII is just that...a model. And the ETFs picked were out of simplicity. I do trade some SPDRs, but not exclusively or all the time. My fund is diversified slightly different from that AAII model too. The jist was to present a simple model for those who say "I can't....I'm limited...". Everyone is different in their experience, the way their investment portfolio is structured, and how much time and energy they want to devote to this sort of stuff. It's really impossible for me to give individual advice on how to structure yours...use what was presented as a general compass...not a GPS.

2) The PI trend is Bullish right now. The trend flip recent (12/10). Assuming you are fully invested, I don't think it smart to close positions and re-balance. If Trend Investing appeals to you, then you are more than welcome to follow along in my blog. I'm confident that at some point in the future the trend will turn from Bull to Bear, and it is then you want to make your moves. I post charts once a week...sometimes on Friday but typically over the weekend. As a trend moves through time we see it's momentum strengthen or wane, and we have quite a bit of advance warning of the potential of a trend flip as that nears. I post the PI flips on the day they occur...and Twit it as well. You don't have to be glued to my charts or your portfolio to trend invest...but a glance 1x per week 90% of the time would suffice. As a trend's momentum begins to wane you'd probably want to pay more attention. Investing is not a Game of Perfect.

3) Random asked the question about how you enter and exit. The simple answer is you do it AT the Trend Flip of the PI. If you miss by a day or 2 it's typically no big deal, and quite often you'll actually have a better entry, but being active early is key. While the early part of a trend does present the risk and potential of a whipsaw...it also presents the most opportunity for the biggest profits. A trend investor MUST be active on the turns of a trend. In the spreadsheet presented all the moves occurred on the close of the day of a PI trend flip. As with every investment decision...losses are possible at any time.

4) Investing presents a near unlimited menu of choices. Find the part of the menu that appeals to you...that you can understand. Use Fundamental analysis to determine what to buy. Use technical analysis to determine when to buy it.

5) I have a bunch of sayings (like Forrest Gump) to keep me grounded to the market they include:

a. No one knows the future

b. Never let a winner turn into a loser

c. A trend is a trend until it isn't.

You'll make a lot of money and save a lot of money if you adhere to those 3 Siffoisms.

5) Dentist: I think what you are doing for your situation is smart. Good job. But don't get lazy.

6) FLRanger: Wow. Never thought I even had a chance to convince you to turn away from the dark side.

Just some post from the peanut gallery here....

I'm not sure a lot of people in here really should be following most of the stuff that is posted here, especially with retirement account money. And you'll have to forgive me if some of my broad assumptions here are incorrect, but if you want to gamble on stuff you read on message boards, setup a brokerage account with some mad money and don't use money that is earmarked for retirement to try tailing some 'tips' you read on here.

Dodds is a very active trader from what I've ascertained, and he can make money on upticks of a few pennies as he trades massive volumes of a certain stock. He can probably afford to be infront of a chart for a good part of the day, or has set automatic buy/sell orders, so if you buy EXK at $8.05 in the morning, and check back later in the day and it's at $7.90, you've lost almost 2% of your stake. However, during intraday trading, it may have ticked up to 8.12, and Dodds may have sold 20,000 shares at a 7 cent gain, and closed his position entirely or else has lowered his cost basis by that much and is in a better position to realize future gains.

This is extremely risky, and by no means would I advise making these kinds of gambles (and let's face it, it's really high stakes gambling if you have no idea what you're doing) with money that I want to see 20 years down the lines at substantial gains. Sure, you may hit a home run once in awhile, but for the most part you will not.

I will not even touch what Siffoin does.

If you are trying to find good entry points and exit points, you really need to focus on your investment horizon. you're not going to beat the market by timing it.

One thing I do which may or may not help any of you, is I have a spreadsheet detailing all of my trades. I think it helps me make less spontaneous/brash decisions when I need to take the time to think out what the hell I'm doing. Basically, I jot down things like purchase price, purchase date, number of shares...but moreso, WHY I bought the stock. WHAT kind of return I am expecting/timeframe, and WHO I may have read or listened to when purchasing the stock. I'm not going to say I am not guilty of following a message board tip from time to time (full disclosure I do own some PLG, and I made a bunch of money off LF), but for the most part, I only trade in a brokerage account, and I do some degree of research on a stock before purchasing, namely figuring out just where I will be happy getting in and out of the position.

g'luck

'siffoin said:

1) First the Asset Allocation model from AAII is just that...a model. And the ETFs picked were out of simplicity. I do trade some SPDRs, but not exclusively or all the time. My fund is diversified slightly different from that AAII model too. The jist was to present a simple model for those who say "I can't....I'm limited...". Everyone is different in their experience, the way their investment portfolio is structured, and how much time and energy they want to devote to this sort of stuff. It's really impossible for me to give individual advice on how to structure yours...use what was presented as a general compass...not a GPS.

2) The PI trend is Bullish right now. The trend flip recent (12/10). Assuming you are fully invested, I don't think it smart to close positions and re-balance. If Trend Investing appeals to you, then you are more than welcome to follow along in my blog. I'm confident that at some point in the future the trend will turn from Bull to Bear, and it is then you want to make your moves. I post charts once a week...sometimes on Friday but typically over the weekend. As a trend moves through time we see it's momentum strengthen or wane, and we have quite a bit of advance warning of the potential of a trend flip as that nears. I post the PI flips on the day they occur...and Twit it as well. You don't have to be glued to my charts or your portfolio to trend invest...but a glance 1x per week 90% of the time would suffice. As a trend's momentum begins to wane you'd probably want to pay more attention. Investing is not a Game of Perfect.

3) Random asked the question about how you enter and exit. The simple answer is you do it AT the Trend Flip of the PI. If you miss by a day or 2 it's typically no big deal, and quite often you'll actually have a better entry, but being active early is key. While the early part of a trend does present the risk and potential of a whipsaw...it also presents the most opportunity for the biggest profits. A trend investor MUST be active on the turns of a trend. In the spreadsheet presented all the moves occurred on the close of the day of a PI trend flip. As with every investment decision...losses are possible at any time.

4) Investing presents a near unlimited menu of choices. Find the part of the menu that appeals to you...that you can understand. Use Fundamental analysis to determine what to buy. Use technical analysis to determine when to buy it.

5) I have a bunch of sayings (like Forrest Gump) to keep me grounded to the market they include:

You'll make a lot of money and save a lot of money if you adhere to those 3 Siffoisms.

5) Dentist: I think what you are doing for your situation is smart. Good job. But don't get lazy.

6) FLRanger: Wow. Never thought I even had a chance to convince you to turn away from the dark side.
I agree with pretty much everything in this post.And especially with the bolded.

I do have to pay close attention with my income investments... when interest rates rise, the share prices on those are going to fall... and i need to be ready to sell when the indicator on those turns.

Admittedly, after i reached the point where i was invested as much as i wanted to be.. I did exactly that.. i got lazy.

I need to get back in there and re-analyze stuff... and keep on top of that income investing message board even closer.

thank you for a much needed kick in the bum

So, get my money in the market?
no, it sounds like you'd be better off making it rain before they switch us to dollar coins and it isn't possibly anymore (unless you're a big enough baller to make it rain with lincolns) and before your money decays to inflation

Up 13.75% in a growth portfolio in my IRA"s/401K 70/30 mix stocks to bonds/hedges/hard assets.

10% - Large Growth

10% - Large Value

6% - Small Value

6% - Small Growth

5% - Convertible Bonds

7% - Foreign Large Stock

4% - Emerging Market Equites

6% - REIT's

3% - Gold & Precious Metals

2% - Hard Currency

14% - Managed Futures

8% - Short Term Corporate Bonds

5% - TIPS

5% - Intermidiate BOnds

5% - Ginnie Mae Bonds

4% - International Government and Corporate Bonds

3% - Emerging Market Debt

3% - Floating Rate Bonds

Sector specific:

3% - Natural Resources

4% - Utilities

My taxable account is more conservative with a 45-50% mix of stocks to bonds and hedges (all asset classes same as above except I use Muni bonds for Short, Intermidiate and long bond positions as it is advantagous for my tax bracket...which may be going even higher next year)

In my taxable account I do have 45 different large cap equity positions (that is the larger of my accounts and have been invested in this since 1987...I am 42 and started young and kept building it out) in place of mutual funds in that asset class. Everything else is mutual funds and some individual bond positions.

I also do covered call writing as well a selling out of the money puts as a nice yield enhancement to the portfolio. The taxable portfolio has a yield of 4.2% and the IRA's yield just shy of 3% as they are more aggresive in the growth side.

Stocks are cheap. I was very cautious this year with my cash, and for my clients we built 30% cash in their portfolios which we put some to work right after the election.

I never believe in timing the market....but I do believe in selling winners, when the gains are really nice and rotating names in the same sector when appropriate.

I do think you will always have corrections and they present great buying opportunities. So when the market is really running don't be shy to sell big winners to build some powder to buy potential great bargains.

Buy and hold does work if your allocated correctly, do not let your emotions make your financial decisions and have a clear time horizon and specific goals for your money. Believe it or not there are highly qualified financial advisors out there who do know what they are doing.....so if your clueless or truly do not have the time needed to manage money in todays fast moving markets...seek out a professional. Not a stock jock...a real advisor with real expereience. One who has been in the business for at least 10 years minimum...who has taken there clients through some real downturns and understands managing risk...not selling returns.

If an advisor hard sells the returns.....run away.

If you need your money in 3 years or less (for a home, a wedding etc).....stay out of the stock market. You should have at least 3 things before investing in the market if your able to.

1) Your own home

2) At least 6 months of liquid savings in the bank (a year if you can)

3) A plan

If you missing at least one of those....do not invest all your money in the market unless you really young and just starting out with some birthday money or what not and want to try and learn with limited pain how to have patience, and invest....not gamble.

I started at age 17. 1987. My dad gave me 5K of my bar-mitzvah money and taught me how to read and understand the stock page. I told him I wanted a 280ZX instead and he said buy the stock instead and maybe in 7-10 years you can buy it yourself. So I go ahead and buy Nissan stock with 1K which was my very first investment. I still have the stock certificate LOL. Well.....Black Monday comes along and my 5K (among 5 stocks) goes down to $2800...I looked at my Dad and said...what now? It was at the age of 17 I got my greatest lesson about investing.

He gave my 5K more of my Bar mitzvah money (that was all of it) and said let's buy more.

I have never looked back since.

The stock I bought with that 5K?

Berkshire Hathaway.

Have I bought some bad stocks....of course we all do. But the majority of your stocks are good strong companies, pay growing and consistent dividends there is no better investment (maybe other than Real Estate) than Stocks over the long term.

Good luck everyone.

'siffoin said:

I agree with pretty much everything in this post.And especially with the bolded.

I do have to pay close attention with my income investments... when interest rates rise, the share prices on those are going to fall... and i need to be ready to sell when the indicator on those turns.

Admittedly, after i reached the point where i was invested as much as i wanted to be.. I did exactly that.. i got lazy.

I need to get back in there and re-analyze stuff... and keep on top of that income investing message board even closer.

If they are bond funds really understand what they own.

Also go to the fund pages (say Pimco if you own Pimco Total Return for example) and stress test the fund to see what a .25% rise in interest rates will do .50% and so on to the NAV of the fund.

I run those screens for my clients and the bond funds we own for them in there portfolios.

Being proactive with your bond funds is key...selling off some and waiting for the dust to settle. But if you have a ton of cusion from years and years of dividend reinvestment...don't get too crazy. After the first 8-12 months of interest rates rising things settle down quick and they rebuild there inventories with higher yielding bonds.

But yes...you must be careful and know what you own.

'siffoin said:

Also go to the fund pages (say Pimco if you own Pimco Total Return for example) and stress test the fund to see what a .25% rise in interest rates will do .50% and so on to the NAV of the fund.

I run those screens for my clients and the bond funds we own for them in there portfolios.

Being proactive with your bond funds is key...selling off some and waiting for the dust to settle. But if you have a ton of cusion from years and years of dividend reinvestment...don't get too crazy. After the first 8-12 months of interest rates rising things settle down quick and they rebuild there inventories with higher yielding bonds.

i don't buy bond funds, i always buy the bonds themselves (or in my case the poor man's bonds - preferred stocks)

'siffoin said:

i don't buy bond funds, i always buy the bonds themselves (or in my case the poor man's bonds - preferred stocks)
Well.....with individual bonds (as I am sure you know) don't worry. You get your par back at maturity.

Prefereds....I like some. But do not buy too many of them. I would not be sweating too much if you own individual bonds.

In fact if you have some really good profits.....take them as they will decay (as you know) over time. You just have to replace the yield....which you can't in the bond market.

Stocks should roar in 2013. There is no yield anywhere.

There is no "riskless" trade in the world anymore. Even cash.....inflation risk. LOL.

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
The Dow is at 13,321 right now. :blackdot:

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
Check back in at the close on Friday smart guy. :rolleyes:

Pfft, that's only like a 7.5% annualized return. Would've been much better off taking your money out of the market when LHUCKS told you to and put it into a bank account earning 10%.

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.

The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
Pfft, that's only like a 7.5% annualized return. Would've been much better off taking your money out of the market when LHUCKS told you to and put it into a bank account earning 10%.
:link:

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.

The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
:link:
My link

except he put all his money in reverse index funds

what was the return on those?

what was the return on those?
:toilet:

Wall Street rose on Thursday, with the S&P 500 hitting a five-year intraday high
Dow up to 13,595, a 4.6% increase since this thread's origination, about a 14% annualized return.

Wall Street rose on Thursday, with the S&P 500 hitting a five-year intraday high
Dow up to 13,595, a 4.6% increase since this thread's origination, about a 14% annualized return.
Throw on a few percentage points more to account for dividends.

good call

LHUCKS hates money
Not all money. Just the US Dollar.Nearly everything is going up relative to the US dollar today... except the Yen and the Brisish Pound.Latest US economic numbers pretty much guarantee more Federal Reserve printing for a while. So as long as you're not holding US dollars, or other currencies currently doing (or about to resume) QE, you're good.Of course, all that really means is you'll get more dollars for your assets in the future because the dollar is worth less. Which is no different than your floor to ceiling measurement going from 84 inches to 94 inches from one month to the next. The ceiling didn't rise. The inch you use to measure it just got smaller.

LHUCKS hates money
Not all money. Just the US Dollar.Nearly everything is going up relative to the US dollar today... except the Yen and the Brisish Pound.Latest US economic numbers pretty much guarantee more Federal Reserve printing for a while. So as long as you're not holding US dollars, or other currencies currently doing (or about to resume) QE, you're good.Of course, all that really means is you'll get more dollars for your assets in the future because the dollar is worth less. Which is no different than your floor to ceiling measurement going from 84 inches to 94 inches from one month to the next. The ceiling didn't rise. The inch you use to measure it just got smaller.
So, we should get out of the market NOW or a few months ago? How does inflation help people like our friend who started this thread who put their life savings in reverse 3x-leveraged index funds?based on what a lot of experts have been saying, the sky has been falling for awhile now.

Users who are viewing this thread