What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

They've got remarkably similar career stats:

Completion Percentage:
Mariota: 63.2%
Tannehill: 62.8%

TD-INT ratio:
Mariota: 1.64-1
Tannehill: 1.64-1

TD %:
Mariota: 4.3%
Tannehill: 4.3%

INT %:
Mariota: 2.6%
Tannehill: 2.6%

YPA:
Mariota: 7.5
Tannehill: 7.0

Passer Rating:
Mariota: 89.4
Tannehill: 87.0

W-L %:
Mariota: .491
Tannehill: .477

Of course, that doesn't account for rushing numbers (where Mariota has a clear edge). Also, Mariota has had a QBR above 53 every season, whereas Tannehill has only been above 53 once in 6 years.

Nonetheless, I do believe that the Titans didn't just acquire Tannehill to be a journeyman clipboard holder. This is Mariota's make-or-break season -- if he fails to progress, or if he misses a significant number of games (and Tannehill plays well in his absence), then do not be surprised if the Titans move on from Mariota and just keep Tannehill while they retool.
The numbers don't show the full picture. MM is a leader and very much respected / loved in the community.  While he absolutely must progress if the Titans are going to make it into the top tier of teams, everyone would much rather do that with him than without. 

He's have to have another serious, even more serious injury, or just completely flip out for the Titans to move on next year. 

In a way that's a bad situation to be in if he doesn't succeed. But we still think he will. 

saintfool said:
surprising considering he finished 27th in attempts despite playing 3 more games than Tannehill (despite the comparable YPG). they're different offenses for sure but Tannehill's numbers suggest, to me, that he's a better passer. That's not the same as a better QB but still....
I don't think anyone could reasonably argue otherwise.  

MM's legs might even out the overall ledger, but MM as a passer is among the worst if not the worst in the league imo.

I don't think it is unreasonable that Tannehill pushes for the starting position in the near future.

Maybe not a back up for too long. Good chance Tannehill is the starter by week whatever, pick a number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not a back for too long. Good chance Tannehill is the starter by week whatever, pick a number.
That would not surprise me at all. Tannehill is far from a great QB but he's not as terrible as people think and Mariotta has not been very impressive,

It seems kind of amusing to me that so many people think that Tannehill has a pretty good chance here because..... well, the starter has been a little disappointing given his draft position..... is mobile yet has a history of getting dinged up...... doesn't have a bad arm but tends to take the safe and uninspiring throw to a short target in the middle of the field most of the time. It sounds to me like Tannehill is backing up a younger version of himself. Which is good from a team building perspective for TEN. For fantasy purposes I don't get overly excited for the older, less inspiring guy that seems closer to retirement than redemption.

Especially the bit about the other guy having durability issues, THAT'S the reason you should be excited about Tannehill? Never thought I would see the day. It's kind of like if Tyler Eifert was Jordan Reed's backup. Eifert owner: I'm just sitting back and waiting for the annual Reed injury!

It seems kind of amusing to me that so many people think that Tannehill has a pretty good chance here because..... well, the starter has been a little disappointing given his draft position..... is mobile yet has a history of getting dinged up...... doesn't have a bad arm but tends to take the safe and uninspiring throw to a short target in the middle of the field most of the time. It sounds to me like Tannehill is backing up a younger version of himself. Which is good from a team building perspective for TEN. For fantasy purposes I don't get overly excited for the older, less inspiring guy that seems closer to retirement than redemption.

Especially the bit about the other guy having durability issues, THAT'S the reason you should be excited about Tannehill? Never thought I would see the day. It's kind of like if Tyler Eifert was Jordan Reed's backup. Eifert owner: I'm just sitting back and waiting for the annual Reed injury!
Who's excited about Tannehill?

Since the day TEN traded for him there have been analysts and voices within the industry that were asking if this meant there was some sort of competition for the starting job when I thought it was fairly obvious the Titans were simply trying to upgrade their backup QB. IMO anyone that thinks Tannehill is anything more than an above average backup is getting "excited" about Tannehill. If anyone is going into 2019 expecting him to start games, those people are getting excited about him relative to his actual fantasy value. But that's just my opinion.

Who's excited about Tannehill?
Since the day TEN traded for him there have been analysts and voices within the industry that were asking if this meant there was some sort of competition for the starting job when I thought it was fairly obvious the Titans were simply trying to upgrade their backup QB. IMO anyone that thinks Tannehill is anything more than an above average backup is getting "excited" about Tannehill. If anyone is going into 2019 expecting him to start games, those people are getting excited about him relative to his actual fantasy value. But that's just my opinion.

Where are you getting this from? No one is excited about Tannehill.

Joe Flacco says “hold my Natty Boh”
As horrible as Flacco has been, MM has not earned a spot in the same sentence as him.

Without looking I would bet a fair amount of money that Flacco out produced MM even last year when he got pulled halfway into the season.

MM wildest dreams would be to have Flacco's career at this point.

eta - yep, I looked. in 9 games Flacco out produced MM.  jesus.

eta - again - about same yardage, more tds, fewer int.  

🤷‍♂️ I'm just excited to not have Blaine Gabbert or Matt Cassell as backups. 

As horrible as Flacco has been, MM has not earned a spot in the same sentence as him.

Without looking I would bet a fair amount of money that Flacco out produced MM even last year when he got pulled halfway into the season.

MM wildest dreams would be to have Flacco's career at this point.

eta - yep, I looked. in 9 games Flacco out produced MM.  jesus.

eta - again - about same yardage, more tds, fewer int.  
You're looking at the past 2 years but not their career. 

MM's first 2 years are better than anything flacco has done. 

We can all admit that Marcus has had a rough go the past two seasons. We'd probably disagree on the reasons. 

But there's zero chance Tanny starts over a healthy Mariota. At least in 2019. 

-OZ- said:
You're looking at the past 2 years but not their career. 

MM's first 2 years are better than anything flacco has done. 

We can all admit that Marcus has had a rough go the past two seasons. We'd probably disagree on the reasons. 

But there's zero chance Tanny starts over a healthy Mariota. At least in 2019. 
Take Flacco's second best year and his 3 worst years, maybe you have a comp to MM's career.

Even if you ignore his Super Bowl (where he threw for 290 and 3 tds), he has done everything MM has done, and better.  

Maybe not a back up for too long. Good chance Tannehill is the starter by week whatever, pick a number.
He doesn't have a chance to beat Marcus out or steal the job from him. He does have a chance to start when Marcus gets hurt which seems inevitable.

Marcus did play through a lot last year and showed some incredible toughness which the great one's do, but then he missed time so I don't know how you evaluate that but to say he definitely got tougher last year. 

The Titans didn't do enough to make fans happy with the right side of the line. Are we correct? We'll see. If Marcus gets hurt from a sack coming through the right guard, GM JRob is going to "hear it" from fans. 

Marcus' efficiency in the red zone is best ever. His 4th quarter efficiency stats are excellent. Everyone in the free world wants better production all over and better efficiency in the other three quarters. I get it, but he won't get benched. That will never happen unless this changes. There isn't an NFL coach that wouldn't love a guy getting it done in the 4th or red zone. What happens is everything else gets blamed- the game plan, the play calls, the D...not the QB.

The quarterback position is far more athletic in the last so many years. Tannehill is old school mobile. Marcus is new style mobile. They are not close. Marcus is one of the best athletes at QB in the league. Look up his 40 time if you forget.

The Titans have absolutely botched his development as far as being mobile. Once he got hurt, they started wanting him to stay inside the tackle and pretend he's Dan Marino stuck in mud. Years of this have made this wonderful athlete often confused as to what he can and can't do with his legs. Tannehill will not have this prob whatsoever. New OC Arthur Smith is letting Marcus move to get comfortable. It's just highlights from OTAs but you can see him moving around more.  Tannehill has an advantage in this regard, but hopefully this is squashed with Smith taking the leash off.

Last but oh so not least, you could probably play QB when Henry is "hot."  Lewan and Walker talked about Smith wanting more secondary blocks. Smith is only content with them winning the LOS, he wants the line getting to their secondary blocks. He has a TE working like an H-back ala Joe Gibbs. Just because they added two WRs, and a backup QB, does not mean they forgot Henry rocked to close out the year. 

The Titans have never had a balanced offense since Marcus came. Even if the stats show it for one game, I promise you it didn't play out that way. Every OC has discussed it, but he's always been the QB of a running team. Smith (Gibbs again) is determined to be two dimensional. This, and only this, will make the Titans QB something worth grabbing in FF and worth discussing who the better starter is. 

I've been discussing the O alot thus far. It's oh my early, but thus far Taywan Taylor seems to be the key to watch for. Their offense is short, quick rhythm passes and runs. When Taylor's speed comes in, suddenly they're building toward "taking a shot" and they look good. Friends noticed this with the latter units and some UDFAs too. Davis battles an awful lot and needs to just blow by guys sometimes. He could be the "take a shot" guy (and better than Taywan too) but he won't stop pushing and bumping and doing all that jazz and just be off to the races. Brown has done a lot of slot work with Humphries. 

So to reiterate, this isn't unlike what Titans fans have seen the last couple years. Without Taylor everything is short and minimal, including the runs. When Taylor is in, and they're working toward taking a shot, they are suddenly diverse with short passes all over and effective runs, then boom a shot to Taylor. Even if Taylor misses it, the O looked good. So on the one hand, it's a bit much to take from OTAs but on the other, we have absolutely seen this same prob. 

I expect they continue to tweak Brown's speed since it's gone so well. I expect they can get Davis to stop playing patty-cake. I expect Walker and Humphries to be able to sell the short and get open deep how they have countless times. For now though, Taylor is the only one that consistently can get open deep.

While I'm at it- Tajae had a trade day. He was fantastic and the focus of the offense day one and hasn't been since. In today's "video-taping" world this usually means they wanted tape to send to prospective teams. This is an outstanding predictor of future trades or cuts. I'd pick him up (last spot) in dynasty. If he goes to a short passing game offense, his hands will be gems. If he goes to a move the ball well offense, he'll be meh and you can cut him. This should be a nice easy end of roster play for FF while injuries and other stuff can be a bear usually.

Titans coach Mike Vrabel reiterated Ryan Tannehill's job is "as a backup."

"His job as a backup — everybody’s job as a backup — is to push the guy in front of him," Vrabel said. "To compete and try to make yourself better and try to make the team better and see how everybody responds." Tennessee picked up Marcus Mariota's $20.9 million option in the offseason, all but ensuring the 25-year-old plays out his one-year prove-it deal for as long as he's healthy. Given Mariota's lengthy injury history, Tannehill is still fully expected to make a spot start at some point this year.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Jul 6, 2019, 9:27 PM ET

Ryan Tannehill completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards in the Titans' third preseason game.

Tannehill didn't start, but he did play snaps with most of the starting lineup after Mariota exited with zero completions on three attempts. Tannehill wasn't amazing by any means, but he was certainly better than Mariota. It's easy to see Tannehill starting games down the stretch if the Titans are out of the playoff picture, plus there's always decent odds Mariota misses a game or two with an injury.

Aug 25, 2019, 9:55 PM ET

Ryan Tannehill completed 13-of-16 passes for 144 yards and an interception while adding six yards on his lone rushing attempt Sunday in the Titans’ Week 6 loss to the Broncos.

Tannehill took four sacks for a loss of 35 yards in the losing effort. Making just his second appearance as a Titan (he contributed two kneel-downs in an opening-week blowout), Tannehill thrived in place of Marcus Mariota, who was benched in the third quarter following his second interception of the afternoon. It wasn't all good for Tannehill as the ex-Dolphin struggled to finish drives and took a few bad sacks. His interception, a fourth-down end-zone heave scoped out by Kareem Jackson, was of the desperation variety. But at least he gave the Titans a much-needed jolt of energy, unlike Mariota, who looked completely checked out Sunday. It would be a surprise if Tannehill isn't tapped as the starter when the Titans host the Chargers in Week 7.
The Ryan Tannehill Mediocrity rollercoaster is back...

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports Ryan Tannehill will start Week 7 against the Chargers.

Tannehill came in last week after Marcus Mariota once again failed to muster up any semblance of an NFL offense. Tannehill was able to move the chains (9.0 yards per attempt) in that stint better than Mariota has for two-plus seasons. The Titans' offense will still be run-heavy and boring to watch, but there was no point in keeping Mariota out there after years of uninspiring play. Tannehill's first start will come at home as two-point favorites over the Bolts.

I’ve always liked Tannehill. 

I think he has a chance to do well. But he also has limitations. 

Titans FF upside increases with him at QB. His upside may be a little limited by a run-heavy team though. 

mixed bag. Probably better real life QB than FF. 

absolutely worthy of a superflex role. 

Probably a lot of Mahomes owners sniffing around.  Kicking the tires on the Tannehill car.  Probably gonna leave the car lot without making a purchase.

Ryan Tannehill completed 23-of-29 passes for 312 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Titans' 23-30, Week 7 win over the Chargers.

Tannehill had more rhythm and zip on his passes than Marcus Mariota has had this season. Tannehill found crossers over the middle to pick up first downs and found wide-open targets inside-the-10 for his two passing touchdowns. It's a small sample, but Tannehill has averaged 9.0 and 10.8 yards per attempt in his two games this season. The Titans will continue their balanced approach against Bucs next week, and Tannehill will be a potential fantasy QB streamer.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:41 PM ET

He still freaking suuuuuuucks.

This was a #### tease performance. We watched 7 years of this turd.

Buyer beware. 

Buyer beware. 
Titans have more talent than Miami ever cohesively put around him, but he can only get you so far.  Even in this game, the Chargers should have won it.

Titans have more talent than Miami ever cohesively put around him, but he can only get you so far.  Even in this game, the Chargers should have won it.
Oh...just wait. No matter what he is still Tannehill. Lousy pocket presence and he will go through stretches where he cannot hit the broad side of a barn. And you are correct. He will only get you so far. He is not a guy I would have confidence in to win me a big post season game. 

Todem said:

Buyer beware. 
His worth is debatable in the context of the league.

In the context of the Titans, he has been the best QB on that roster since the day he signed.

Todem said:

Buyer beware. 
an INT and 2 fumbles and two other times where he seemed completely oblivious to pressure breathing down his neck.

There is definite room for concern, but it's been so long since the Titans had a 300 yard passer, we'll take it

His upside is mainly for the passing game targets.  Tannehill is probably going to be bad - just in a different (less conservative) way than Mariota.

If he were so good, he would still be in Miami. That being said, he is better than Mariota.  I don't expect him to be a top 12 fantasy QB, but he could be a decent bye week filler or matchup player to pair with another average QB.

If he were so good, he would still be in Miami. That being said, he is better than Mariota.  I don't expect him to be a top 12 fantasy QB, but he could be a decent bye week filler or matchup player to pair with another average QB.
He had a top 10 FF season in Miami.. not for nothing.

Ryan Tannehill completed 21-of-33 passes for 193 yards and three touchdowns in Tennessee's Week 8 win over the Titans.

The Titans' offense benefitted from two short fields due to a pair of Jameis Winston turnovers inside the 10, allowing Tannehill to hit Jonnu Smith (6/78/1) for a wide open five-yard score over the middle of the field to put the Titans up 7-3 before spotting Tajae Sharpe (3/18/1) in the back corner of the end zone on a six-yard fade in the next quarter. His third touchdown was an eight-yard crossing route to A.J. Brown (2/11/1). The 31-year-old veteran has connected on 44-of-62 passes (70.9%) for five touchdowns and a pick in his two starts to breathe life into Tennessee's offense at the halfway point, but all are faced with their toughest matchup to date against Carolina's stingy defense in Week 9. Tannehill will be ranked as a middling QB2 for that one.

Oct 27, 2019, 5:14 PM ET

Ryan Tannehill completed 27-of-39 passes for 331 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in the Titans' 30-20, Week 9 loss to the Panthers, adding four carries for 38 additional yards and a score.

It was a better day than what Marcus Mariota would have provided, but not by much. Tannehill's first interception bounced off A.J. Brown's hands. It wasn't an amazing throw, but it was still a ball Brown should have caught. Tannehill had no such alibi on INT No. 2, tossing an inexcusable late pass over the middle, where he never saw center fielder Tre Boston. In living up to his Dolphins reputation, Tannehill woefully under-threw a number of deep balls. He lucked into a pair of long DPIs on them, though the second was offset by a Titans penalty. Tannehill will be a low-end QB2 streamer for Week 10 against the Chiefs.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:23 PM ET

Ryan Tannehill completed 14-of-18 passes for 259 yards and two touchdowns while tallying an additional 40 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries Sunday in the Titans’ Week 12 victory over Jacksonville.

And just like that, the Titans, who many declared dead earlier this year, are back in the AFC playoff hunt. Tannehill was only sacked once in the win, losing seven yards as well as the football on a second-quarter strip sack by Yannick Ngakoue. The red-zone turnover was Tannehill's only slip-up in an otherwise pristine performance for the veteran, who has been the driving force behind Tennessee's rapid turnaround. The former college receiver flashed his athleticism with a pair of rushing scores while also showing impressive chemistry with rookie deep threat A.J. Brown, who torched the Jags for a career-best 135 yards in Sunday's victory. With the win, Tennessee improved to 4-1 with Tannehill under center. The red-hot Titans will look to keep the engine rolling next week at Indy.

This guy is looking like a new QB in TN.  Do people think this will continue?  Where do you rank him this year?

This guy is looking like a new QB in TN.  Do people think this will continue?  Where do you rank him this year?
He's good enough to keep the job but I'm still skeptical long term. 

Bringing him in might have been the Titans best move of the last couple years. 

Users who are viewing this thread