What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Basic Income Guarantee (1 Viewer)

I'm on board only if there is a population control component, otherwise too commie
We need that regardless. The stupid and poor breed the fastest. They need to be stopped.
I think if you honestly break down the benefit of offering free contraception to those that can't afford it... it really does come down to population control. It's not 'unhealthy' for a woman to get pregnant... so it's not abuot women's health. The only thing it does is prevent those that can't afford birth control from getting pregnant... hence population control.So, for the most part, that request is pretty much taking place right now.
They aren't being stopped They are breeding. They are too stupid to even know how to use a contraceptive.
EXACTLY! While I was against giving out free birth control, the population control was one aspect I felt was a positive... but the more I thought about it I realized it probably still wont help because of what you said.

I'm on board only if there is a population control component, otherwise too commie
We need that regardless. The stupid and poor breed the fastest. They need to be stopped.
I think if you honestly break down the benefit of offering free contraception to those that can't afford it... it really does come down to population control. It's not 'unhealthy' for a woman to get pregnant... so it's not abuot women's health. The only thing it does is prevent those that can't afford birth control from getting pregnant... hence population control.So, for the most part, that request is pretty much taking place right now.
You misunderstand. This isn't "offering". You want to live off the government teat, you will have birth control. Period.
Another thing that I honestly believe would be very beneficial, but will never happen for several reasons. Our incentives are pretty much backwards unfortunately.

To those people who simply feel "Education" is the answer... I've got to both Agree and disagree. I agree because American HUGELY benefits from an educated workforce. Educated citizens earn more, they make better decisions, and overall experience a better quality of life. In a perfect world this would be a fantastic place to spend some cash. HOWEVERIn reality...these kids want nothing to do with this education and you can't FORCE them to learn. HS dropout rates are close to 70% in some cities and are around 50% as a national average (in inner cities). This is a massive problem that no amount of fairy tale dust spending will fix. Again... you can't help those who don't want to help themselves. They start of lazy as kids and once they get a taste of that government money, and realize their earning potential with a 6th grade education isn't much higher than free money, you're stuck supporting these people for life. Offering up "Education" in it's current state will do NO good until we fix the core problem... laziness.
Reminds me of the Dennis Miller quote:
I want to help the helpless... I could give a rat's ### about the clueless
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: How about this deal. We activate BIG... but every time you're caught spending it on something other than housing, food, medical..... you lose 33%. 3 Strikes and you get zero government assistance for the rest of your life. :thumbup:

To those people who simply feel "Education" is the answer... I've got to both Agree and disagree. I agree because American HUGELY benefits from an educated workforce. Educated citizens earn more, they make better decisions, and overall experience a better quality of life. In a perfect world this would be a fantastic place to spend some cash. HOWEVERIn reality...these kids want nothing to do with this education and you can't FORCE them to learn. HS dropout rates are close to 70% in some cities and are around 50% as a national average (in inner cities). This is a massive problem that no amount of fairy tale dust spending will fix. Again... you can't help those who don't want to help themselves. They start of lazy as kids and once they get a taste of that government money, and realize their earning potential with a 6th grade education isn't much higher than free money, you're stuck supporting these people for life. Offering up "Education" in it's current state will do NO good until we fix the core problem... laziness.
You mean like this 20 year POS that has asked me for a ride and for 50 cents in the last 2 weeks as he wanders around town? Seriously, this piece of trash needs to die. You can see it in his face that he has no interest in ever working a day of his life.

Agreed, which is why this is a pipe dream. BFS suggested that this would replace our social programs for the poor, which is essentially the only way it could work financially, but that would never happen.
Sure it could. The people who defend the social programs for the poor are the ones most in favor of this. This is the safety net. If people sell their food stamps for drugs and spend their welfare check on more drugs, there is nothing stopping them right now. Same with this. There are still programs for drug rehab and homeless shelters and section 8 housing, but the income programs are entirely replaced by this. Even social security, to some extent, could be replaced by the BIG. We simply don't need a dozen similar programs to give money to people who don't/can't/can no longer work. And people who do work can afford to take crappy jobs for relatively low pay because they will take it all home in addition to the BIG.
You want to give homeless people and drug users $15k a year?Right now I have a lot of family members making not a whole lot more than that. The idea of giving people who aren't contributing anything to society $15k is simply mind-bogging to me.
Yes, that is precisely what we want to do. we already offer them welfare, ssd, etc. Let's end those programs and replace them with one that is designed to give homeless people enough money to get by so they don't have to be homeless, and that rewards them for seeking out work by giving them every dollar they make, without making them work under the table or forcing their employers to pay a higher wage than they are willing to. As for drug users, theres only so much that can be done. Programs exist today to help them and will continue to exist. Many but not all are tied to rehab. some are federal government, some are state or local, and still others are funded through charitable contributions. Those programs - not the welfare or ssd or other income programs - will continue to exist.

But there is no additional safety net above and beyond the BIG for these or other populations. This simply replaces those programs.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: How about this deal. We activate BIG... but every time you're caught spending it on something other than housing, food, medical..... you lose 33%. 3 Strikes and you get zero government assistance for the rest of your life. :thumbup:
gotta love government control :thumbup: Long live big brother!

I think you're missing the sarcasm in my post.

The problem is, as long as you enable the stupid and lazy... they're going to continue to be stupid and lazy. They're going to continue to try to game the system. I want LESS government. Less reliance upon the nanny state.

The problem is these morons turn safety nets into hammocks.

#### them. Let them learn to work or let them die off.

Last edited by a moderator:

The problem is, as long as you enable the stupid and lazy... they're going to continue to be stupid and lazy. They're going to continue to try to game the system. I want LESS government. Less reliance upon the nanny state.

Again, I don't think it'll ever happen, but are you missing the part where they are saying we are getting rid of the existing safety net programs? Replacing them all with this one would be less government.

It would be a big barrier, but replacing all our current social programs for the poor is perhaps the best argument for it. I'm not very optimistic that something like this could ever pass here. In our dream world, it does a lot to appeal to a common ground between liberals and conservatives. Bringing together the desire to help people in need and have it done as efficiently and waste-free as possible.
Why do people want to get rid of our social programs to replace it with this? All it would do is put all the people working in the bureaucracies out of a job so we can pay then $15k not to work.
you would rather pay them $50k to do inefficient work that ultimately may do more harm than good?
BIG would do far more harm then the collection of programs we have now. Look at the huge decrease in the number of long-term welfare recipients from the 70's compared to now, especially those on it longer than 5 years.

BIG is a plan to put everyone in the country on welfare for the rest of their lives.

They need stopped now. You can't let them exist or they breed more stupid and lazy slugs. They need exterminated.

Again, I don't think it'll ever happen, but are you missing the part where they are saying we are getting rid of the existing safety net programs? Replacing them all with this one would be less government.
Thia plan would cost 10x what our programs cost now. Paying people to sit on their ### so we can say "Look at our small government!" is a horrible idea.

So I have been toying with this idea. Talk of the minimum wage and how much people should make have come up in other threads so I thought I'd throw this out there and see what people think.

So BIG is a program where everyone in the country gets paid a certain amount by the government every year. Currently we do something similar in the way everyone qualifies for a certain amount of write offs. But that's after the fact and isn't really stimulative. This way it's cash in hand paid monthly. I set the amount at 15,600 a year. I used that because it is in between the automatic write off and Mitts loophole cap of 17k. This income is untaxed no matter how much or how little you make. But there are no other loopholes. You are taxed on every dollar above this and all income is treated equally except in certain cases. Well really 2 cases. I would keep SS income tax free as well. And I would keep inheritances of 1 million per individual or 2 million a couple untaxed. Above that taxed as income but given 5 years to make total payment with no penalties accruing unless you exceed that time span.

Now what I think this would do is help alleviate some measure of poverty. Reduce expenditures on things like food stamps. Broaden the tax base. Drive demand which would help the economy get back on track which would help us with our debt issue. Also given the closing of all loopholes and broadened base we could drop the rates across the board and still have plenty of revenue from personal income.

So too commie or what?
I will NOT turn this into a political discussion...but here's my comments FWIW.1st, I think that in theory, something like this is good. You're basically reallocating "credits" into real money that people can use for their daily life. Good idea. I think, however, that in practice, this will fail. I think that a big part of the issue is the entitlement and lazy attitude of so many Americans. I also think that while it's not a uniquely "American" problem, it is more prevalent here than anywhere else. I think that if you give this money out, the people who REALLY need it (the food stamp folks referenced), it will help them in the short term, but in the long term they'll be right back where they were. As evidence, I present the article about the homeless man who was given $100,000. I think the root of the problem for many people living in poverty is not money, but rather what they do with it. I'd much prefer to see 100% free tuition at many community colleges. Free education at a level not already given here. Free job/career planning for those out of work and on hard times. Free business clothing to help those who cannot afford to look nice for a job interview, etc. The sad thing is that I think if you provided all of that, there would still be thousands of lazy people who would not take any of it, and would be content to just sit around and complain about how poor they are.

I think this would drive demand in the short term...but the money would flow up the chain and ultimately end up with the 1%'ers...because the people at the bottom might have more money, but they STILL don't know what to do with it besides spend it on the first thing they see.

It's the attitude of those in poverty that needs to be changed, not the cash flow. Any time someone is more willing to collect an unemployment check then work at McDonalds, there's a problem. Stop the free hand-outs. There's plenty of jobs that need to be done. There's trash to be picked up by the roadside. There's something for everyone on unemployment to do to benefit society.

I know there are the exceptions...I know that a lot of these people depend on this money in hard times...but I think the majority of them depend on it because they are lazy and not educated on HOW to get out from under that support.
Isn't that the point? We want these people to blow all their money, don't we? As long as people are spending money, companies keep making stuff and hiring people.

if there's sarcasm there, I missed it.that's what this does though. the stupid and lazy are already enabled. We all know all of the systems are scammed - you know it, I know it. My wife has family members that collect income tax returns despite not working. We all know food stamps are sold for cash, which is used to buy drugs. The system is abused left and right, inside and out.

Giving everyone $15k and being done with it - hard to game that, beyond pure identity theft. When you start placing restrictions on what you do with the money, the system becomes gamed... you would also need a bureaucracy to oversee the money, someone to penalize the cheaters, etc. The beauty of the BIG plan is the simplicity.

I think this is all wrapped up in the same thing. Let me ask you...do you think an educated person understands the value of an education? Do you think an UNeducated person does?What's the difference? It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Kids that don't want an education come from families that didn't have an education, and didn't preach the importance of one. It's not just a coincidence that the high high-school drop out rates linger in certain areas. The parents didn't go to school, they don't teach their kids to want to go to school, and it just propagates. Find me a kid from a well-off, well-educated family that just wants to drop out of school. It doesn't happen nearly as often because they can SEE what education gets you, and their parents instill it in them. The same happens in reverse for uneducated. They don't value it, and they aren't smart enough to teach their kids to value it. The question is how do you fix it? In theory, you educate. Educate on the value of an education. Educate kids so that when they grow up, they have kids who then understand the value of an education. It's a cycle. I have NO clue how to break it...but it's a cycle. Your values come from your upbringing. It's very very hard to break that when it starts down the wrong path.

To those people who simply feel "Education" is the answer... I've got to both Agree and disagree.

I agree because American HUGELY benefits from an educated workforce. Educated citizens earn more, they make better decisions, and overall experience a better quality of life. In a perfect world this would be a fantastic place to spend some cash.

HOWEVER

In reality...these kids want nothing to do with this education and you can't FORCE them to learn. HS dropout rates are close to 70% in some cities and are around 50% as a national average (in inner cities). This is a massive problem that no amount of fairy tale dust spending will fix. Again... you can't help those who don't want to help themselves.

They start of lazy as kids and once they get a taste of that government money, and realize their earning potential with a 6th grade education isn't much higher than free money, you're stuck supporting these people for life. Offering up "Education" in it's current state will do NO good until we fix the core problem... laziness.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: How about this deal.

We activate BIG... but every time you're caught spending it on something other than housing, food, medical..... you lose 33%. 3 Strikes and you get zero government assistance for the rest of your life.

:thumbup:
Progressive Insurance is doing it... why not the government too :shrug: :lmao:

there are some real reasons this can't happen. first of all, it takes away the government's ability to influence society. An example is the mortgage credit. At some point, the federal gov't decided it would be noble if all Americans owned a house. Towards that end, they came up with some measures to guide society towards home ownership, including incentives in the tax code. Other examples might be education credits, energy credits, etc. Everything we call a "loophole" or a "deduction" is a result of someone in Washington trying to steer societal behavior in one direction or another. BIG goes hand-in-hand with eliminating a good part of this, it takes power away from Washington. therefore, it can never happen.

further, it would lead to the elimination of a ton of bureaucratic entities - the folks that currently oversee the safety net. all of these entities have advocates that will frame the elimination of welfare as a "War on the poor". Basically, I have zero faith in Washington DC being able to get over it's own bureaucratic inefficiencies for the greater good.
:goodposting: What politician is going to vote for something that reduces their power? I see a lot of positives about the BIG, but it will never happen if politicians have to agree to it.

Thia plan would cost 10x what our programs cost now. Paying people to sit on their ### so we can say "Look at our small government!" is a horrible idea.
That's where the "details" come in. He just threw out a number, obviously we'd have to come up with a way to make it not cost 10x as much as our current ones before taking it seriously, but I'm in favor of the general idea.

Agreed, which is why this is a pipe dream. BFS suggested that this would replace our social programs for the poor, which is essentially the only way it could work financially, but that would never happen.
Sure it could. The people who defend the social programs for the poor are the ones most in favor of this. This is the safety net. If people sell their food stamps for drugs and spend their welfare check on more drugs, there is nothing stopping them right now. Same with this. There are still programs for drug rehab and homeless shelters and section 8 housing, but the income programs are entirely replaced by this. Even social security, to some extent, could be replaced by the BIG. We simply don't need a dozen similar programs to give money to people who don't/can't/can no longer work. And people who do work can afford to take crappy jobs for relatively low pay because they will take it all home in addition to the BIG.
You want to give homeless people and drug users $15k a year?Right now I have a lot of family members making not a whole lot more than that. The idea of giving people who aren't contributing anything to society $15k is simply mind-bogging to me.
Yes, that is precisely what we want to do. we already offer them welfare, ssd, etc. Let's end those programs and replace them with one that is designed to give homeless people enough money to get by so they don't have to be homeless, and that rewards them for seeking out work by giving them every dollar they make, without making them work under the table or forcing their employers to pay a higher wage than they are willing to. As for drug users, theres only so much that can be done. Programs exist today to help them and will continue to exist. Many but not all are tied to rehab. some are federal government, some are state or local, and still others are funded through charitable contributions. Those programs - not the welfare or ssd or other income programs - will continue to exist.

But there is no additional safety net above and beyond the BIG for these or other populations. This simply replaces those programs.
I think you're failing to understand the ramifications of this. If you told me at 18 that you would give me $15k a year to do nothing, that's exactly what I'd do.

Are we giving the money to illegal immigrants too?
According to Wikipedia this was Hayek's practical hangup with the idea."It is obvious that for a long time to come it will be wholly impossible to secure an adequate and uniform minimum standard for all human beings everywhere, or at least that the wealthier countries would not be content to secure for their citizens no higher standards than can be secured for all men. But to confine to the citizens of particular countries provisions for a minimum standard higher than that universally applied makes it a privilege and necessitates certain limitations on the free movement of men across frontiers... we must face the fact that we here encounter a limit to the universal application of those liberal principles of policy which the existing facts of the present world make unavoidable."

there are some real reasons this can't happen. first of all, it takes away the government's ability to influence society. An example is the mortgage credit. At some point, the federal gov't decided it would be noble if all Americans owned a house. Towards that end, they came up with some measures to guide society towards home ownership, including incentives in the tax code. Other examples might be education credits, energy credits, etc. Everything we call a "loophole" or a "deduction" is a result of someone in Washington trying to steer societal behavior in one direction or another. BIG goes hand-in-hand with eliminating a good part of this, it takes power away from Washington. therefore, it can never happen.

further, it would lead to the elimination of a ton of bureaucratic entities - the folks that currently oversee the safety net. all of these entities have advocates that will frame the elimination of welfare as a "War on the poor". Basically, I have zero faith in Washington DC being able to get over it's own bureaucratic inefficiencies for the greater good.
What politician is going to vote for something that reduces their power? I see a lot of positives about the BIG, but it will never happen if politicians have to agree to it.
It massively increases their power. All you have to be is the guy saying you'll increase the BIG amount 10% every year.

The estate tax is the one tax where the person literally doesn't lose anything by paying it.
Can you elaborate?
Which leaves us in a dilly of a pickle. Either we allow some people, by virtue of their birth, to step onto an unlevel playing field on day one, or we don't, and we disincent our best people from earning as much as possible. Enter the estate tax, which says, look, for most of you, you can just keep whatever your folks pass on to you. But if youve earned enough that you can pass on so much money that your kids will never provide value to society, and will be net consumers their entire lives, then they should pay tax on that "income" as if it were money they earned - since they may never actually earn anything in their lives. After that, if the kid earns anything or not, they can go on just like anyone else. As for who decides it, I do, and I would vote for the estate tax ten times out of ten, and work to get more people to vote for it. I believe in that tax more than almost any other we have because it fits my vision for america to a t.
bostonfred, enlightening thoughts again. Seriously. Good stuff. I never thought about this from the angle of a person not contributing to the tax pool, just living off of their parents inheritance, etc.Two points though.1) Should a child not be allowed to live off of that income tax-free because their parents payed a correspondingly high amount in taxes when they initially earned the money? It seems like if you are punishing the child for not providing value to society, you should also reward someone for providing a disproportionally larger value to society, instead of taxing them more.2) I think one of my issues with this is that it provides a diminishing marginal return on success. Make more money, work harder, pay more taxes. If you start to overtax the super-successful via taxes while they're alive, and taxes that hinder their wishes when they die, there is less motivation to be super-successful. At some point, you lose the motivation to succeed. Darwinism dies off. People become OK with being just "OK." That's not how great things happen. What people often fail to realize, in my opinion, when pointing fingers at the rich, is that the success of the rich generates tons of income for others, beyond the paycheck that the guy at the top gets. Nobody would have a job were it not for the guy at the top who started the company to begin with, but that's never figured into their perceived obligation to society.

I think you're failing to understand the ramifications of this. If you told me at 18 that you would give me $15k a year to do nothing, that's exactly what I'd do.
probably, and you would have a good time doing it. I'd bet after a year of living a life exactly equivalent to the bottom rung of society, you would get bored and maybe a little ambitious and you might want to do better for yourself.

Doesn't Alaska have something like this already with their oil revenue?
I guess the answer is sort of.I did find on wiki that there have been two places that have tried this.
However, in studies of the Mincome experiment in rural Manitoba, the only two groups who worked less in a significant way were new mothers, and teenagers working to support their families. New mothers spent this time with their infant children, and working teenagers put significant additional time into their schooling.[47] Under Mincome, "the reduction of work effort was modest: about one per cent for men, three per cent for wives, and five per cent for unmarried women."[48]Another study that contradicted such decline in work incentive was the Namibian pilot project implemented in 2008 and 2009 in the Omitara village; the assessment of the project after its conclusion found that economic activity actually increased, particularly through the launch of small businesses, and reinforcement of the local market by increasing households' buying power.[15]

The estate tax is the one tax where the person literally doesn't lose anything by paying it.
Can you elaborate?
Which leaves us in a dilly of a pickle. Either we allow some people, by virtue of their birth, to step onto an unlevel playing field on day one, or we don't, and we disincent our best people from earning as much as possible. Enter the estate tax, which says, look, for most of you, you can just keep whatever your folks pass on to you. But if youve earned enough that you can pass on so much money that your kids will never provide value to society, and will be net consumers their entire lives, then they should pay tax on that "income" as if it were money they earned - since they may never actually earn anything in their lives. After that, if the kid earns anything or not, they can go on just like anyone else. As for who decides it, I do, and I would vote for the estate tax ten times out of ten, and work to get more people to vote for it. I believe in that tax more than almost any other we have because it fits my vision for america to a t.
bostonfred, enlightening thoughts again. Seriously. Good stuff. I never thought about this from the angle of a person not contributing to the tax pool, just living off of their parents inheritance, etc.Two points though.1) Should a child not be allowed to live off of that income tax-free because their parents payed a correspondingly high amount in taxes when they initially earned the money? It seems like if you are punishing the child for not providing value to society, you should also reward someone for providing a disproportionally larger value to society, instead of taxing them more.2) I think one of my issues with this is that it provides a diminishing marginal return on success. Make more money, work harder, pay more taxes. If you start to overtax the super-successful via taxes while they're alive, and taxes that hinder their wishes when they die, there is less motivation to be super-successful. At some point, you lose the motivation to succeed. Darwinism dies off. People become OK with being just "OK." That's not how great things happen. What people often fail to realize, in my opinion, when pointing fingers at the rich, is that the success of the rich generates tons of income for others, beyond the paycheck that the guy at the top gets. Nobody would have a job were it not for the guy at the top who started the company to begin with, but that's never figured into their perceived obligation to society.
Great post.

What politician is going to vote for something that reduces their power? I see a lot of positives about the BIG, but it will never happen if politicians have to agree to it.
It massively increases their power. All you have to be is the guy saying you'll increase the BIG amount 10% every year.
Good point. They can do that now, though. Not directly, but they still make changes to tax code, social security rates, etc. At least this would be more transparent.

Well, this subject has certainly met with a lot less resistance than when Bottomfeeder first introduced it a couple of years ago. We must really be getting more comfortable with socialism, just like the Republicans have been charging all along.

I can't believe this thread is now three pages long without a BFS contribution. Maybe he's sitting back and reading it with the same satisfaction that Yankee gets when he sees a FairTax thread fire up.

I don't know if the numbers ultimately work but I like the concept of the BIG a lot.

probably, and you would have a good time doing it. I'd bet after a year of living a life exactly equivalent to the bottom rung of society, you would get bored and maybe a little ambitious and you might want to do better for yourself.
I don't know, man. Have you seen what video games are like these days? Is $15K a year enough to split rent with someone on a hole in the wall apartment, food, Internet, and a MMORPG subscription?

I hear ya and ordinarily don't disagree. We aren't coming from drastically different places here.I guess it comes down to your fundamental opinion of the population. I don't hold them in high regard either.

But, I know enough bright, hard working people to know that there are enough of us that don't want the absolute minimum that this can work.

consider this, [icon] - what is stopping you, right now, from quitting your job, moving into section 8 housing, and collecting food stamps?

I don't know, man. Have you seen what video games are like these days? Is $15K a year enough to split rent with someone on a hole in the wall apartment, food, Internet, and a MMORPG subscription?
only one way to find out.

I hear ya and ordinarily don't disagree. We aren't coming from drastically different places here.I guess it comes down to your fundamental opinion of the population. I don't hold them in high regard either.

But, I know enough bright, hard working people to know that there are enough of us that don't want the absolute minimum that this can work.

consider this, [icon] - what is stopping you, right now, from quitting your job, moving into section 8 housing, and collecting food stamps?
I know i sound really bad in this thread... and part of it is schticking it up to get folks attention, but the problem is that I'd wager less than 50% of aid goes to people who are legitimately trying to better themselves and about 50% goes to folks just content to ride the wave of government support. I have NO basis of support for those numbers but it's a general feeling from what I see with my eyes. I genuinely want to help the former... I want to latter to suffer and either develop some work ethic and contribute to society... or go away. Me, I have a pride in the fact that I work for my money. At my fathers company there was a tradition of nepotism... his superiors all brought their kids in and let them work for kush jobs and fat paychecks that they simply didn't deserve. I could have followed that path but I didn't want to be handed a job by "daddy" when I graduated college. Part of being a man is making your own way (to a degree) and carving out a good life for yourself and your family.

I could never drop to that free standard because I would feel worthless knowing that I'm not earning that money... knowing that others have worked damn hard for the money and are now being forced to hand it to me so I can sit on my couch and watch TV all day. #### that.

Do you condemn such behavior because you'd jealously resent them, or because you think society would be harmed in some way by their lack of contribution?

Sorry to bring common sense into this discussion, but you're saying that people would work 40 hours a week at a burger joint making $8 an hour when they could be making half that by sitting on their couches and eating doritos all day?:lmao:genius!
Exactly. After college move into a house with 4 or 5 of your buddies. Have a pool , ping pong , billiards, and have a great time .

Can you elaborate?
The person who earned the money is dead and can't use it anymore.Regarding your points:1) No they weren't the ones who earned the money and paid taxes on it. It is now income and should be taxed (I think the current $5M exemption is reasonable).2) People love to make money and the having the people who inherit it pay a tax doesn't change that.

I set the amount at 15,600 a year.
Why would people work for $8 a hour if you did this?
:goodposting:
I can't tell if you two are just totally missing the point of the BIG or if you have some other point you are trying to make here, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason they woud work for 8 bucks an hour is so they could make more money. They would gross 32000 per year instead of 16000, and only pay taxs on the eight bucks an hour. The BIG does not go down when you earn more money, everyone, including people who make much more than 16k/year, gets it. And you only pay taxes on the money you earned. This is in stark contrast to current programs like welfare and social security and unemloyment, which decrease or even eliminate benefits when you make money and provide a strong disincentive to work.

Do you condemn such behavior because you'd jealously resent them, or because you think society would be harmed in some way by their lack of contribution?
I would resent them AND I think it would harm society.If you did this it would create a massive underground economy with people getting paid in cash to avoid taxes.

I set the amount at 15,600 a year.
Why would people work for $8 a hour if you did this?
:goodposting:
I can't tell if you two are just totally missing the point of the BIG or if you have some other point you are trying to make here, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason they woud work for 8 bucks an hour is so they could make more money. They would gross 32000 per year instead of 16000, and only pay taxs on the eight bucks an hour. The BIG does not go down when you earn more money, everyone, including people who make much more than 16k/year, gets it. And you only pay taxes on the money you earned. This is in stark contrast to current programs like welfare and social security and unemloyment, which decrease or even eliminate benefits when you make money and provide a strong disincentive to work.
Hold on - the plan is to give $15k a year to all 225M adult Americans? That's 3.375 TRILLION per year.

Users who are viewing this thread