What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guns, Murder, Race & Income (1 Viewer)

Why does not having two parents in a household address poverty?  Two incomes vs one?

Why does promoting not having kids having babies not address poverty?

Why does promoting studying and other things associated with "acting white" not address poverty?

These are fundamental things that from a data perspective are quantitatively a huge part of setting the black community behind.  Particularly the first two.

Is the answer that spending another 20% on education will remedy it?  More public housing?  More welfare?  Dropping $50k in everyones bank account?  I'm completely open to intelligently spending more money...but spending it in the absence of being able to address the above is not intelligent. 

Do you think that two parents have no impact on the education a child receives?
Ok.  Apologies for the delay.  Was enjoying family time.  You know, being a present black father. 

A few things(its hard to keep up and my time is limited).  I am not saying having two parents is a bad thing or cant help.  Of course it can help.  Thats never a bad thing.  But the fact of the matter is, there are many things that can/could help.  Some more than others.  Now i get that you are all in on this notion of two parents as the root issue here and that being the biggest way to solve problems.  I disagree.  Would simply adding a parent ensure they get a proper education?  Could these families even afford to get married?  Dont marrage rates falter in poverty?  Does that reduce bias?  Systemic barriers?  Lingering racism or impacts from it?  Does it even address the policies that placed them in poverty at disproportionate levels? 

Here is an interesting read: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337111440_RacialEthnic_Differences_in_the_Association_Between_Family_Structure_and_Children's_Education

Abstract: While an extensive literature has shown that children raised by both biological parents fare better academically than children raised in any other family structure, there has been little research to explain an important finding: living apart from a biological parent is less negatively consequential for racial/ethnic minority children than white children. To address this gap, I test two explanations that have been posited to account for racial/ethnic differences in the association between family structure and children’s educational attainment: socioeconomic stress and extended family embeddedness. I assess whether racial/ethnic variation in these two mechanisms explain group differences in the association between family structure and on-time high school completion and college enrollment for white, black, and Hispanic children. Results indicate that both socioeconomic stress and extended family embeddedness attenuate the effect of family structure on these two measures of educational attainment, though the former to a much greater extent. Differences in socioeconomic resources accounted for up to nearly 50% of the gap in these outcomes, and extended family embeddedness explained roughly 15-20%. These findings lend support for the socioeconomic stress hypothesis, which posits that the negative effect of familial disruption may be less independently impactful for racial/ethnic groups facing many socioeconomic disadvantages to begin with. Results are less consistent with the hypothesis that racial/ethnic minority children’s deeper embeddedness in their extended family network protects against the negative effects of familial disruption.
I think we are all in agreement there is a problem.  But the solving of the problem is key.  Marraige rates are falling for all americans.  I dont think that solves this problem that started and appears to still cause many issues including poor education, crime, incarceration etc. 

Here is one solution:https://www.povertyactionlab.org/evaluation/evaluating-impact-moving-opportunity-united-states

Results and policy lessons

The effects of moves to lower-poverty neighborhoods on children’s outcomes varied based on the child’s age at the time of the move:

Children who moved before age 13 had increased rates of college attendance and higher incomes later in life.

By their mid-twenties, children who moved with a Low-Poverty voucher before age 13 had incomes that were 31 percent higher than the control group. These children also were less likely to become single parents and more likely to go to college and to live in better neighborhoods as adults. *****The higher adult incomes of young children in families offered Low-Poverty vouchers yield significantly higher tax payments, which could save the government money in the long term.*****

Children who were over age 13 at the time of MTO voucher moves had slightly negative long-term impacts, possibly due to disruption effects.

The younger children were when they moved, the more they benefited from the move, suggesting duration of exposure to neighborhood environments is a key determinant in children’s outcomes. Moves to quite different environments themselves may be disruptive to children’s lives. For younger children, the eventual benefits of exposure to better neighborhoods outweighed this disruption, but older children spent less of their childhood in the new neighborhoods. Male youth in particular showed some negative medium-term outcomes after moving to lower-poverty areas.

Adults had no change in education, employment, or income.

There were no detectable short- or long-term impacts of MTO moves on adult economic and educational outcomes for either the Low-Poverty or Unrestricted voucher groups. Both groups also saw no change in receipt of government benefits. Unlike children, adults did not benefit economically from more time spent in the new neighborhoods although they did end up being healthier and happier.

Children who grow up in neighborhoods of concentrated poverty fare worse in adulthood than children from more affluent areas.

The Moving to Opportunity experiment sheds light on the extent to which these differences reflect the causal effects of neighborhood environments themselves. The theory behind the MTO project is inherent in the name—that families would move and find greater opportunity in less impoverished neighborhoods. Such a pattern is clear for younger children.

Children whose families moved from poor neighborhoods when they were young have higher incomes, better education, and are less likely to live in poor neighborhoods themselves in adulthood.

In turn, the children of these children (the grandchildren of the original families) will also grow up in better environments and are more likely to be raised by two parents with better education and higher incomes. MTO also conclusively established that neighborhoods can affect the mental and physical health of residents. Adults who moved experienced better mental and physical health, and female youth had large decreases in depression. The conditions of high-poverty neighborhoods contribute to cycles of persistent poverty and drain the physical and mental health of residents.

However, the MTO policy is not an unqualified success. Adults did not see better employment prospects or achieve better educational outcomes. Moving may be disruptive to children.

The older children were when they moved, the less they benefited from moving, consistent with other evidence that shows that the duration of time spent in a better environment is a key determinant of children’s outcomes. MTO moves led to some negative outcomes for male children during adolescence, but the effects turn significantly positive in adulthood for those who moved before age 13.

MTO proves that concentrated poverty is directly and negatively affecting the well-being of the poor, and that moving out of concentrated poverty improves lives.

Targeting subsidized housing vouchers specifically to low-income families with young children may reduce the intergenerational persistence of poverty and even save the government money, but it is not a comprehensive solution.

MTO started over twenty years ago, but the importance of this issue is only growing.

For the last several decades, residential income segregation has sharply risen in America—Americans are increasingly self-sorting where they live based on income and wealth. If the trend of increasingly concentrated poverty continues, more and more poor children will grow up in neighborhoods that are draining their happiness and health, and giving them fewer opportunities to find success as adults.

In that context, no I don't think waving a wand and magically giving everybody in these communities 2 parents 
This is what I don't understand.  Why are we talking about two parents in the same sentence as wand waving.  These are not unicorns and spirits we are looking for...there were two people who made the baby, they don't need to be summoned with spells.  They can magically get married.  Footnote:  I'm cool with fathers that play the same roles in their childs lives, living with the mother, that they would if they were married...even if they are not.  

Now i get that you are all in on this notion of two parents as the root issue here and that being the biggest way to solve problems.  I disagree.  Would simply adding a parent ensure they get a proper education?  Could these families even afford to get married?  Dont marrage rates falter in poverty?  Does that reduce bias?  Systemic barriers?  Lingering racism or impacts from it?  Does it even address the policies that placed them in poverty at disproportionate levels? 
I've been super clear through everything I have posted.  Yes, two parents is top of the pile for me.  It impacts performance across every other thing a child does in life (if the parents do their jobs).

But you misconstrue what I am saying by implying that having two parents will "ensure they get a proper education".  Like I don't think schools are necessary or in general that nothing else matters.  Does having two parents reduce bias...well no it doesn't so two parents must be irrelevant?  Why are you using these absolutes.  It would be the same as me saying education is irrelevant because parents are relevant.

This is simple guys.  Everything matters.  Parents matter a lot (I think you might begrudgingly concede that although I think for many of you you're not sure that fathers matter much).  For me they matter the most and two are much more effective than one.  It seems ya'll have no desire to talk about the importance of this and you will do everything you can to avoid saying this is something that you would advocate for and that our leaders need to make a top priority.  I'm ok with that 

This is simple guys.  Everything matters.  Parents matter a lot (I think you might begrudgingly concede that although I think for many of you you're not sure that fathers matter much)
Why would i begrudgingly concede I’ve already said there are many factors.  Which include this.  I simply don’t believe it should be the primary focus and by making it as such imo ignores the more problematic and detrimental issues.  

This is what I don't understand.  Why are we talking about two parents in the same sentence as wand waving.  These are not unicorns and spirits we are looking for...there were two people who made the baby, they don't need to be summoned with spells.  They can magically get married.  Footnote:  I'm cool with fathers that play the same roles in their childs lives, living with the mother, that they would if they were married...even if they are not.  

Just short hand for waving our hands and fixing something, that's all.   Ie how in other threads people say if you could wave a wand and make all guns disappear... 

Why would i begrudgingly concede I’ve already said there are many factors.  Which include this.  I simply don’t believe it should be the primary focus and by making it as such imo ignores the more problematic and detrimental issues.  
OK, we disagree that it should be the primary focus.  But thats ok and I frankly don't think that disagreement is important.

But...are you saying you don't think our political, community, social leaders should be saying this?  Like you think they can't say that and at the same time advocate for more school funding?

Specifically what, if anything, do you think our leaders should be doing or saying on this topic?

Just short hand for waving our hands and fixing something, that's all.   Ie how in other threads people say if you could wave a wand and make all guns disappear... 
Oh I get it what you are saying.  Expecting people that create babies to raise them together is much less realistic than dropping $100k in everyone's account and unicorning schools across the country.  Lets keep having that discussion which is surely coming to fruition tomorrow.

Oh I get it what you are saying.  Expecting people that create babies to raise them together is much less realistic than dropping $100k in everyone's account and unicorning schools across the country.  Lets keep having that discussion which is surely coming to fruition tomorrow.
Now we are just getting snarky with each other.   

But...are you saying you don't think our political, community, social leaders should be saying this?  Like you think they can't say that and at the same time advocate for more school funding?

Specifically what, if anything, do you think our leaders should be doing or saying on this topic?
What makes you think they aren’t?  This goes back to the whole why don’t black people care about black on black crime.  We do and many people speak on it or have marches for it.  Some of us are mentors.  You don’t see that stuff in the news however.  I think we can all agree MSM sucks. 

what should the leaders be saying?  Forget saying.  They need to be doing.  They need to acknowledge the causes and work towards helping to repair what this country did to so many of its people while at the same time the people should also take responsibility and do everything they can to be better(the way some talk in here it’s as if this isn’t the case and i promise it is for many).  People need some semblance of hope that they will get a fair shake though.  I know some of you don’t see these people trying but trust me they are.  They care about getting an education.  They want to move to a better neighborhood.   I’ve been in these neighborhoods.  This is my family we are talking about.  I’ve been in many of these schools.  I know what these classrooms look like.  

and for all of this to really work bias has to be addressed to cement these changes but you have read my long post on that.  I think once these neighborhoods desegregate and there is greater diversity bias will be reduced over time.  We are making progress.  I just want my kids to see more in their lifetimes.  

What makes you think they aren’t?  This goes back to the whole why don’t black people care about black on black crime.  We do and many people speak on it or have marches for it.  Some of us are mentors.  You don’t see that stuff in the news however.  I think we can all agree MSM sucks. 

what should the leaders be saying?  Forget saying.  They need to be doing.  They need to acknowledge the causes and work towards helping to repair what this country did to so many of its people while at the same time the people should also take responsibility and do everything they can to be better(the way some talk in here it’s as if this isn’t the case and i promise it is for many).  People need some semblance of hope that they will get a fair shake though.  I know some of you don’t see these people trying but trust me they are.  They care about getting an education.  They want to move to a better neighborhood.   I’ve been in these neighborhoods.  This is my family we are talking about.  I’ve been in many of these schools.  I know what these classrooms look like.  

and for all of this to really work bias has to be addressed to cement these changes but you have read my long post on that.  I think once these neighborhoods desegregate and there is greater diversity bias will be reduced over time.  We are making progress.  I just want my kids to see more in their lifetimes.  
Good stuff, a few thoughts I’ll add in the morning.  

PinkydaPimp said:
Now i get that you are all in on this notion of two parents as the root issue here and that being the biggest way to solve problems.  I disagree. 

I think everyone can point to dozens of positives than come from having parents vs a parent and I think way way too often you can look to troubled teens and they have single income homes vs double

Historically, Biblically, families have been a mommy and a daddy for a reason - because it works really well. Family units matter - they do

PinkydaPimp said:
 I think once these neighborhoods desegregate

while I disagree with racist policies to help certain color skin people (we had a history of that in the USA and it was awful) ... on the above ...

segregation is natural - its actually very accepted and popular

its just called ethnic enclave instead and its given to every color of skin and race .... except white people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_enclaves_in_North_American_cities

why ?  why isn't there a push to desegregate all those areas ?

I think everyone can point to dozens of positives than come from having parents vs a parent and I think way way too often you can look to troubled teens and they have single income homes vs double

Historically, Biblically, families have been a mommy and a daddy for a reason - because it works really well. Family units matter - they do
No one is saying this isn’t important.  Or that two parents aren’t ideal.  It’s just not as important as other issues.  And the study i posted above also says that this likely wouldn’t be as impactful as say solving the poverty disproportion and  desegregating neighborhoods.  

and of course family units are changing for all Americans.  Maybe those that are better educated should lead the way.  Otherwise the problem will persists despite upward mobility.  

while I disagree with racist policies to help certain color skin people (we had a history of that in the USA and it was awful) ... on the above ...

segregation is natural - its actually very accepted and popular

its just called ethnic enclave instead and its given to every color of skin and race .... except white people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_enclaves_in_North_American_cities

why ?  why isn't there a push to desegregate all those areas ?
No, segregation is not natural it was forceful and intentional.  Is that seriously what you are selling?  Because this conversation ends right now if that’s the case because your true colors are really showing right now.  

“Brooks traces attitudes toward Asian residential segregation which arose in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Beginning with San Francisco’s Chinatown, Alien Neighbors, Foreign Friends recounts the violence and coercion endured by west coast Asian populations. Though today Chinatown is often seen as a quaint tourist heaven, Brooks (with the help of Shah’s work) links this development to its exclusionary, race-driven point of origin.”

No, segregation is not natural it was forceful and intentional.  Is that seriously what you are selling?  Because this conversation ends right now if that’s the case because your true colors are really showing right now.  

“Brooks traces attitudes toward Asian residential segregation which arose in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Beginning with San Francisco’s Chinatown, Alien Neighbors, Foreign Friends recounts the violence and coercion endured by west coast Asian populations. Though today Chinatown is often seen as a quaint tourist heaven, Brooks (with the help of Shah’s work) links this development to its exclusionary, race-driven point of origin.”

are you suggesting ethnic enclaves are there because of white racism ? in today, 2021 ? not 1875, not 1910 .... in today, 2021

tracing it back might have some validity, but at anytime in the past few decades we as a society could have broken all those down - what did you say earlier " I think once these neighborhoods desegregate and there is greater diversity bias will be reduced over time.  "

that includes all the neighborhoods right ? not just white ?

PinkydaPimp said:
What makes you think I'm talking just about black leaders?  I'm not, if anything I'm talking more about white leaders.

I know there are black community leaders that are fighting the good fight.  I'm sure a lot of them are religion affiliated...another dying breed in America.  And I'm 100% sure many black individuals understand the importance of families, studying, speaking good English, etc.

But what I'm talking about are the people that are the people that we and the black community specifically commonly look to as leaders nationwide.  So in terms of "black leaders " I guess that would be people like Sean Diddy Combs, Michael Bennett (DE Vikings), Cardi B and Maxine Watters.  Yahoo News.  Rhetorical question...are these people really the leaders that should be looked up to?

I'm talking about Joe Biden, white guy...apparently also known as the big guy.  I did a google search to see what Joe Biden has said about the importance of two parent families and of fathers.  Maybe you guys will find something, but I got no hits.  But his interview with Cardi B was riveting....lots of free candy for everyone.

You know why Joe Biden doesn't say anything?  Because he can't.  He's not allowed.  His party won't let him.  His color and the guilt that comes with it precludes him from saying something.

Why can't he say anything:

• To say something about two parent families and god forbid a man and a woman would obviously be anti-women, anti-gay and if in any way was perceived to touch on single motherhood in the black community it would be racist.  So he says nothing.

• Everything a white person does, particularly in the democratic party, must be white guilt based.  White people did terrible things and it has removed any ability for them to have some semblance of "moral/social commentary" with black people.  White people need to either be talking about the terrible #### that they did in the past and how that prevents black people from achieving today or what THEY are doing to fix it (welfare, housing, food programs, etc).  That's pretty much this thread in a nutshell.
The black community is completely on board with this and has been for the past 80yrs.  I get it, I'd prefer white people didn't comment on my life after ####### things up so badly.  And white people through the government are more than happy to do things that optically look great and wash away that guilt.

But if white leaders aren't talking about the importance of family, of studying, etc. who is?  And if black "leaders" (beyond the local level) aren't talking about the importance of family, of studying, etc.  Then who is?  I know white families are talking to their children about it.  Poor Asian families are talking to their children about it.  Meanwhile an undercurrent in the black community that President Obama hit on is "acting white"...things like speaking properly and reading.  Maybe its just me, but that sounds bad and should be something our national leaders are trying to counter...vocally.  All it takes is words, repeatedly.  But you have to believe these things are actually significant.  Where I disagree with you is that they are and should not be relegated to "after we reduce bias" or some other necessary sequencing that is decades away.

Any chance Cardi B asked Joe Biden what he thought people in the lower economic rungs of society needed to do focus on themselves to get out of that rung?  Nope.  Besides, Joe Biden got a hammer and all he knows how to use is the hammer.  And if you don't vote for the hammer you aint black.  Joe Biden has a hammer and its the government.  The majority of americans, including black americans support school vouchers/choice.  Actually put the power in the peoples hands, not the governments.  The people actually reward the schools that perform well.  I think we talk a lot about improving education.  Do you think Joe Biden supports this?  Do you think he supports introducing something that might make voters less reliant on his party and alienate his largest constituency.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you think I'm talking just about black leaders?
i don’t what makes you think i think this?  Again with the assumptions.

You know why Joe Biden doesn't say anything?  Because he can't.  He's not allowed.  His party won't let him.  His color and the guilt that comes with it precludes him from saying something.

Why can't he say anything:
who said he doesn’t say anything?  He just doesn’t say what YOU want him to say.  He has acknowledged systemic racism.  So to me he is saying a lot.  A lot more than you and others in this thread.  Just not what you want.  Maybe not everyone feels your two parent obsession is the most critical issue facing black people.  Again studies even back up that it’s not that impactful and won’t solve the pressing issues we are facing. 

See below.  You were specifically calling out that I think black people aren't talking about it.

PinkydaPimp said:

who said he doesn’t say anything?  He just doesn’t say what YOU want him to say.  He has acknowledged systemic racism.  So to me he is saying a lot.  A lot more than you and others in this thread.  Just not what you want.  Maybe not everyone feels your two parent obsession is the most critical issue facing black people.  Again studies even back up that it’s not that impactful and won’t solve the pressing issues we are facing. 
Well yah, thats the point he's not saying something I think is important.  Am I allowed to think something is important and discuss it.  Can you handle that not only the things you think are important are important and discuss them?  I know its an outlandish belief that a family is critical to a childs success.  On that front we'll agree to disagree.

The fact that you feel comfortable asserting that I haven't acknowledged systemic racism, or racism, or bias reinforces what you said yesterday...that you're not reading what I'm writing and haven't really read what I've written in the other threads we've participated in.  If you think Joe Biden and others are not talking about family because they don't think its important...no, this is exactly why they don't talk about it.

No need to escalate the personal attacks, I'll leave this be...have a good one.

My impression of Biden from his statements and actions before becoming Obama's VP is that he is not being honest with his thoughts at this time.  He is listening to his handlers and being careful with his words.  Or, maybe his opinions have changed and evolved with the times.  He is the old dog that you can teach new tricks.

What studies show that two parent households are 'not that impactful' in child outcomes? I am genuinely interested in checking them out.

See below.  You were specifically calling out that I think black people aren't talking about it.

Well yah, thats the point he's not saying something I think is important.  Am I allowed to think something is important and discuss it.  Can you handle that not only the things you think are important are important and discuss them?  I know its an outlandish belief that a family is critical to a childs success.  On that front we'll agree to disagree.

The fact that you feel comfortable asserting that I haven't acknowledged systemic racism, or racism, or bias reinforces what you said yesterday...that you're not reading what I'm writing and haven't really read what I've written in the other threads we've participated in.  If you think Joe Biden and others are no talking about family because they don't think its important...no, this is exactly why they don't talk about it.

No need to escalate the personal attacks, I'll leave this be...have a good one.
Again that was an example i was not saying you were referring to just black leaders.  I also did not say you haven’t acknowledged systemic racism he’ll i quoted your post doing so.

Again misconstruing my words.  If we are going to do this that must stop.  

I also did not say you haven’t acknowledged systemic racism

Again misconstruing my words. 

He has acknowledged systemic racism.  So to me he is saying a lot.  A lot more than you and others in this thread. 
So you’re not saying I haven’t acknowledged systemic racism, but your are saying that Joe Biden has, which is per your words a lot more than what I’ve said.

That sure is an odd way to say I’ve acknowledged systemic racism.  You can dance around the wording as you please.

So you’re not saying I haven’t acknowledged systemic racism, but your are saying that Joe Biden has, which is per your words a lot more than what I’ve said.

That sure is an odd way to say I’ve acknowledged systemic racism.  You can dance around the wording as you please.
My point was you seem laser focused on that one topic and Biden has indeed spoken about topics i feel are more important and impactful.  It’s a more primary focus to him which is a lot more focus imo than your recent posts.  No one is trying dance around words here.  You can twist mine however you please but it doesn’t change the fact you are focused imo on the wrong topic.  Which deviates from solving the problem.

Eta: and yes as i read it again it is slightly confusing but i never said you didn’t acknowledge that and i think you know that.  But hey that’s what happens when i type quickly at the airport.

ok I’ll be out of pocket for the rest of the day and tbh i think we are at an impasse if you feel that’s the most important issue to solving these problems and i do not.  I presume you did not read any of my studies? You haven’t commented on them.  But that’s cool.  

enjoy your day:

All the threads are blurring together anyway, so I will just post here that I thought a pod that so many people seem to really like and agree with had a comment today at the end of their talk about free college (talking Krystall and Saagar here).   They made the point that yet again people most effected by the student debt was the black community.  Yet again, coming back to the wealth gap/poverty (ie, not having the wealth, credit, income to have mom and dad help as much with school, so they take on more debt after school).  

I think that's why Pinky (he can speak for himself if me including him in this isn't accurate) and myself focus so much on the poverty/wealth gap part of the equation, and it's why IMO most of the other stuff that we mention is down the ladder of importance until that starts to close significantly.  

Yes, 2 parents,  school, studying, etc.. all help incrementally with that, but IMO not as much as trying to address that first and foremost and then additionally talking about the other things on top of that.  

Speaking of why it can be so hard to "Just get up and leave areas of poverty":

Racially-charged threats in West Allis, 'go back to the north side'

More here: https://youtu.be/8gnbnbPpook

They have no idea who would do something so hateful.

No telling who did it - could have been because they didn't like the family, or a fam member, or didn't like the way they're doing something, could have been because of skin color, who know ? could have been a Josie Smollett deal ?  

A local lady I know told a woman she hated (for good reason) NOT to enroll/bring her kid to the school her kids were in - stay where she was

Not skin color related, she just hated the woman 

Users who are viewing this thread