What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

I don't think he's classifying it as investing. He did say he was only interested in trading it. 

Not sure why people are acting like this is some new thing around here. Half this thread bought Luckin' after it was further down the fraud train than NKLA is now and some of our favorite trading stocks (BLMN, CYDY, HGEN) aren't exactly darlings of fundamentals. 

I don't think he's classifying it as investing. He did say he was only interested in trading it. 

Not sure why people are acting like this is some new thing around here. Half this thread bought Luckin' after it was further down the fraud train than NKLA is now and some of our favorite trading stocks (BLMN, CYDY, HGEN) aren't exactly darlings of fundamentals. 
Yep. Everyone here are gamblers. We were all brought here because we are or were degenerate fantasy football players.

I think its fair to say most of us have normal portfolios, but what gets the juices flowing is that pile of money, big or small that we each have, to gamble with in the stock market.

THAT is the fun part. 

Today’s scam stock is SUNW. Top of the Yahoo trending. Last month they butchered their earnings report. Popped yesterday and then crashed, popping again premarket on no news.

POLA is the same but I think that was mentioned yesterday. Maybe SUNW was too.
Wow. Sun Microsystems flashback. That was a 10 bagger for me when I was in my 20s. Good times.

My only real reaction was when he said that gambling became investing because the odds favored the trade here. Not a big deal. 

But yes, this is a gambling / speculating thread. 

But yes, this is a gambling / speculating thread. 
This thread has it all. Sure, there’s a lot of chatter about quick trades. Most of those, to me at least, are entertaining and rarely acted upon (though someone here convinced me to flip NCLH when it inevitably bounces from 15 to 16, thanks FBG!) To me, the trades are the gravy. The meat and potatoes are the posts from professionals (self-professed, of course) on investing. There’s no shortage of those and I encourage us all to balance our speculation and “play money” with our core investments.

Here is but one example from a couple weeks ago. A FBG noted reasonably priced long term calls on AAPL. September 2022, strike price of $100, premium around $27 or so. In other words, for about a quarter of the share price, you could own an option contract for 100 shares for two years with breakeven of $127 per share. That’s less than a 20% AAPL share price increase needed in two years to break even. Free money, says I, who wanted to buy 100 shares outright. Hit the call instead at $25 on the pullback last week and will hold for a couple years. Leverage, investing in a strong name, again thanks FBG.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The odds don't favor you.
In that case, would you like to pay my short term capital gains tax for me this year?

2. You're speculating not investing. 
Nothing is more tedious and dull than a semantics debate.

3. The chances of you doubling here are very low, especially as you're viewing it as a short trade.
When I said roulette paying more than 100%, I meant Vegas payout.  Like Blackjack pays out something like 98.5%.  That means if you bet $1, you'll get 98.5 cents back on average.  I realize I'm not going to double my money on a day trade.  I usually look to get 5% or 10% gains on my short term trades.  I've occasionally gotten lucky and gotten a 20% or 30% gain.  But usually I sell before that can happen.

Looking like a green day today. Always fun when everyone does well. Been really slow in this thread. Everyone tired of stocks now? 

Vacation this week will limit my activity. Everything seems pricey right now after the discounts last week but haven’t run enough to take profits
Kind of where I'm at.  Deployed a lot of cash over the past couple of weeks.  Not ready to sell off or take some of those profits just yet.

Kind of where I'm at.  Deployed a lot of cash over the past couple of weeks.  Not ready to sell off or take some of those profits just yet.
Yep. Just along for the ride right now. I won't sell, but I'm not buying extra. Most months I'll throw whatever is left after the automatic investments and bills into my regular brokerage. This month I'll probably just keep the extra cash on hand.  I'm expecting more drop into November, but without the conviction to sell much.

I hope that was due to my rec on Thursday when it dipped! That said, I actually like it long term. They have good food and they are growing  like a weed. Up 70%+ right now but I think there’s a bunch more room to grow.
Yes, just wanted a quick gain with it to go into something else longer term. I do wonder how the SEC checking into SPACs will impact them in the future. 

For the Long-Term index funds guys, what % do you put towards International?  General international funds, MSCI EAFE Index or similar, or other funds/ETFs worth considering?

I've never been much of an International index investor, but starting to think I should maybe diversify into it more.  All retirement accounts combined I'm 1.6%, so very little.  Not just thinking 401k/TSP here, also my self managed Roth and ETFs to consider.

TIA      

Sold FMCI and DPHC for 30-50% profit.  No real reason besides locking in a win after a couple rough days last week.  Would likely look to rebuy if they dip back down as both companies interest me. 

Solar names are having a day. SEDG was a nice add.
It’s nice to see other people mention stocks you own. I bought back in January at $96. Above the bottom but before the run up in February/early March. It definitely jumps a lot up and down. I did see an interesting article that talked about them being a threat to Tesla in terms of batteries or energy storage. Always good to see mentions of areas they could be expanding business.

DPHC - Day's Range 24.62-27.50

I have a sell limit set at 27.50 to start shaving my position but it didn't hit.  Liars...    

Yes, just wanted a quick gain with it to go into something else longer term. I do wonder how the SEC checking into SPACs will impact them in the future. 
Honestly don’t think it’s going to matter much unless the big banks are able to get them slowed down. For every NKLA, there is a LK and more. I definitely think you’ve got to do your due diligence but I don’t think these companies are any different IPOs, well at least now. Seems like they are popping up even more so it may be smart to stick with the well known guys/institutions that have already done successful ones.

Honestly don’t think it’s going to matter much unless the big banks are able to get them slowed down. For every NKLA, there is a LK and more. I definitely think you’ve got to do your due diligence but I don’t think these companies are any different IPOs, well at least now. Seems like they are popping up even more so it may be smart to stick with the well known guys/institutions that have already done successful ones.
Thought I heard/read something last week (CNBC?) that there have been over 130 SPACs, listed and pending, for this year alone.  

Up a little less than the market. The stocks that went wild on Friday are definitely taking a breather and are down today.

Thought I heard/read something last week (CNBC?) that there have been over 130 SPACs, listed and pending, for this year alone.  
Probably. I’m in a bunch right now. Some I’ll keep for a while since I know who they merged with but the rest are more well known ones. I’m sure there are some bad ones just like there’s bad stocks. I’m at my fill right now.

DPHC - Day's Range 24.62-27.50

I have a sell limit set at 27.50 to start shaving my position but it didn't hit.  Liars...    
I never end a buy or sell order with a zero.  My sells end in 9 (or 7 or 8).  My buys end in 1 (or 2 or 3).  Same with blind bidding in fantasy football.  Countless times I've eked out other bidders who bid exactly 125, 250, or 500.

I never end a buy or sell order with a zero.  My sells end in 9 (or 7 or 8).  My buys end in 1 (or 2 or 3).  Same with blind bidding in fantasy football.  Countless times I've eked out other bidders who bid exactly 125, 250, or 500.
Good point and I will do that at times.  I'm not really bummed about this one since I believe it will hit 30 again and really wasn't expecting 27.50 to hit today.  DPHC can swing so much in a day that had it hit I would have set a buy limit right away on for a downswing.  

For the Long-Term index funds guys, what % do you put towards International?  General international funds, MSCI EAFE Index or similar, or other funds/ETFs worth considering?

I've never been much of an International index investor, but starting to think I should maybe diversify into it more.  All retirement accounts combined I'm 1.6%, so very little.  Not just thinking 401k/TSP here, also my self managed Roth and ETFs to consider.

TIA      
I put 28% of my 401k into the vanguard total international etf. Typically nothing matches the US market but I feel like that's going to change in future. 

I just moved about 30% of my 401K to an emerging markets fund last week, mainly for diversity. I don’t own any EM individual stocks unless you count SE, and wanted to make sure I don’t miss out on their eventual tear, whether it’s soon or years from now.

I just moved about 30% of my 401K to an emerging markets fund last week, mainly for diversity. I don’t own any EM individual stocks unless you count SE, and wanted to make sure I don’t miss out on their eventual tear, whether it’s soon or years from now.
Heard somebody make a case against EM in the near term. Can't recall where it was now. Will see if I can find it.

I put 28% of my 401k into the vanguard total international etf. Typically nothing matches the US market but I feel like that's going to change in future. 
Looks like I’m about 15% International. I actually use the year target funds a lot I my 401ks. I don’t do bonds or much international in my trading accounts so I use the 401ks as my balance. Seems like they are closer to 30% international but I don’t have it all in those. I may have to play around with the allocations but I am going to roll my wife’s old one over to a brokerage IRA, so we’ll only have the two active ones.

I have very little in specific international funds to be honest. I feel like Globalization has moved the markets closer to being in sync and there is less knowledge and oversight of foreign markets. So I mostly stay in US stocks. Probably should be closer to 10-15% though, just as a hedge if I'm wrong. But international markets have been dogs for a while now. 

ETA: Just checked and a little below 7% in international securities. 

I have very little in specific international funds to be honest. I feel like Globalization has moved the markets closer to being in sync and there is less knowledge and oversight of foreign markets. So I mostly stay in US stocks. Probably should be closer to 10-15% though, just as a hedge if I'm wrong. But international markets have been dogs for a while now. 

ETA: Just checked and a little below 7% in international securities. 
There are just a ton of companies (Food, energy,  tech) that aren't based in the US or traded on a US exchange. I hear you on the oversight but a lot of the top companies are based in EU, SK, Japan, etc and I'd honestly trust their government regulators more than those in the US. 

Also, double checked and apparently I have it set at 20% not 28% lol. 

TIA      
Aside from SE or other specific companies? 

25% of my TSP, nothing in my wife's IRA.  So 15%, give or take 2%

There are just a ton of companies (Food, energy,  tech) that aren't based in the US or traded on a US exchange. I hear you on the oversight but a lot of the top companies are based in EU, SK, Japan, etc and I'd honestly trust their government regulators more than those in the US. 

Also, double checked and apparently I have it set at 20% not 28% lol. 
I've been tempted to buy into VGK a bit. Probably no more than 3% of our total.

I've been tempted to buy into VGK a bit. Probably no more than 3% of our total.
I would if I had that option in my 401k. I'd actually prefer an international etf without Chinese companies since we've seen some creative accounting practices from some of them...

I would if I had that option in my 401k. I'd actually prefer an international etf without Chinese companies since we've seen some creative accounting practices from some of them...
Yeah, have to watch out a bit there. I was reading about that Ant Group which was part of Alibaba. They said something that struck me. They had done $17 trillion in transactions in the last 12 months and listed the number of users. It came out to $30k per user and that was all in USD. The average income in China is $10k. Just struck me as off. Of course it’s going public soon. 

MIL has been in international for the last 6 yrs. down about 5 % over that time. I don’t see the draw when the us market will make you rich

Yeah, have to watch out a bit there. I was reading about that Ant Group which was part of Alibaba. They said something that struck me. They had done $17 trillion in transactions in the last 12 months and listed the number of users. It came out to $30k per user and that was all in USD. The average income in China is $10k. Just struck me as off. Of course it’s going public soon. 
So how do we get in on the IPO? 🤣🤣

MIL has been in international for the last 6 yrs. down about 5 % over that time. I don’t see the draw when the us market will make you rich
30% is far too much in EM, IMO. but some diversity makes sense. I get that the US companies both have done well and many have large international exposure, and the world is more connected than ever. But I figure the US will stop being King at some point. Hopefully not in our lifetimes but I think we'd be fools to think it's impossible for us to start falling relative to other countries, or to overlook the chances that other countries grow faster than the US over the next 50 years. 

Users who are viewing this thread