What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina (2 Viewers)

Titans signed DL Jadeveon Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract.

Clowney got more than the $12 million that was first reported. This looks highly incentivized, but it's a good deal for Clowney after going unsigned through training camp. Clowney had only three sacks in an injury-filled 2019, but he gives Tennessee a quality edge rusher. With seven days before the start of the season, Clowney isn't a lock to be active in Week 1.

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 6, 2020, 9:05 AM ET

Good pick up by Tennessee, so long as it’s heavily incentivized. From an IDP standpoint I would’ve rather New Orleans pick him up, but he will definitely help the Titans so long as he can shake the injury bug

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports the Titans won't franchise Jadeveon Clowney in 2021.

Its confirmation Clowney is betting on himself after teams balked at his asking price. Clowney's $15 million one-year deal is also incentives based. There's regression concerns with Clowney coming off a down 2019 and not signing until after training camp.  Clowney will be 28 this offseason.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Sep 6, 2020, 12:34 PM ET

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel said DL Jadeveon Clowney has a "pretty good" shot of playing against Denver in Week 1. 

Clowney signed an incentive-laden, one-year, $15 million deal with Tennessee on Sunday. If he suits up for the Titans against the Broncos, he'll likely play limited snaps. We can expect Clowney to play starter's snaps as soon as the team feels remotely comfortable with him being out there on a full-time basis. 

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter 

Sep 7, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott destined to join $40 million club; the truth about Russell Wilson

Excerpt:

2) Jadeveon Clowney: Jevon Kearse 2.0? Jadeveon Clowney might've shed his preferred No. 90 for No. 99 in Tennessee, but that's not going to stop Titans fans from wondering if the veteran can reprise the role of "The Freak" from the franchise's great teams of the late 90s/early 2000s.

It's been a minute since we've talked about the three-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro who sported the No. 90 jersey in Nashville, but Jevon Kearse sparked a Titans Super Bowl run with his disruptive playmaking skills.

Like his predecessor, Clowney is a freakish athlete with the size, strength and explosiveness to create chaos as a designated disruptor off the edge. The 6-5, 255-pounder is like a bull in a china shop as a rusher, employing a rugged game that overwhelms blockers. He utilizes his length, strength and power to bully offensive tackles on the way to harassing the quarterback. Despite his pedestrian sack numbers (32 sacks in 75 games), Clowney creates consistent pressure, as evidenced by his 80 QB hits in six seasons.

That said, the veteran is an unpolished pass rusher without a dominant signature move. He wins on sheer strength, power or athleticism, nottechnique. Whether he's jumping the snap to shoot the gap or deploying a powerful bull-rush maneuver that rocks the blocker, Clowney wins with his natural physical tools. If he is unable to win, it's because he lacks a repertoire of moves to prevail after an initial stalemate. Clowney's limited toolbox is one of the reasons why he's failed to reach double-digit sacks in a season.

As a run defender, the seventh-year pro is a disruptor at the point of attack, particularly when he is put on the move. Clowney explodes through cracks on "Pirate" stunts (defensive end shoots through inside gaps) and "long stick" movements (defensive end runs through the A-gap after initially aligning opposite the offensive tackle). With Clowney also possessing a high-revving motor, he really makes his mark in ground defense.

Looking at Clowney's potential impact on the Titans, he should fit right into a defensive line that features a number of rock-solid defenders with brutish games. With Harold Landry, Vic Beasley and Clowney joining Jeffery Simmons and a few other house-wreckers, Tennessee has the depth and versatility to pummel opponents with a variety of D-line combinations in a multi-faceted scheme.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Jadeveon Clowney (questionable, knee) could need surgery to his meniscus.

Clowney has been on the injury report for weeks but hasn't missed any time. He's a game-day decision for Week 9 but isn't expected to play. It's possible the meniscus issue has played a role in Clowney's sackless start to the year. Clowney would likely be placed on IR and miss the next three games if he undergoes surgery.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 7, 2020, 9:38 AM ET

What a waste of a year for IDP purposes. Thought I was set at DL with him, Marcus Davenport, and Chase Young going into the year. Well Davenport has missed half the year and has "potential" hanging over him like a cheap suit. Young is similar, without the injuries. These guys will get you a cup of cheap coffee and not much else.

eta* Yeah, that was a grumble. Cost me some games and likely the playoffs, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a waste of a year for IDP purposes. Thought I was set at DL with him, Marcus Davenport, and Chase Young going into the year. Well Davenport has missed half the year and has "potential" hanging over him like a cheap suit. Young is similar, without the injuries. These guys will get you a cup of cheap coffee and not much else.

eta* Yeah, that was a grumble. Cost me some games and likely the playoffs, man.
Long term thats still a sick lineup imo

Long term thats still a sick lineup imo
Thanks. I still have hope for it in the future. No dumping those guys. I just thought it'd be a strength and turned into a liability. I did get lucky. Normally, Clowney should be a LB for IDP purposes this year by designation because of the hybrid 3-4 that the Titans run, but they left him at end. If he were an LB? Unplayable.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Titans DL Jadeveon Clowney should be fully recovered from meniscus surgery by April. 

"He’s close to be ready now, but it could delay his signing with a new team for a few weeks," Rapoport added. The Titans paid Clowney $15 million on a one-year deal only to see him fail to record a single sack in eight games. Now a free agent, Clowney is unlikely to re-sign with Tennessee, though he said in February that he would be open to returning to the Titans. The veteran will likely sign a one-year, incentive-laden deal with another team this offseason. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 2, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

Josina Anderson reports free agent DE Jadeveon Clowney is visiting the Browns.

Cleveland set up a visit for Clowney at the end of March but the defensive lineman left without a deal. Clowney presumably continued to test the market but never managed to find a sizable contract. The Browns were also reported to be in the mix to land Clowney last offseason. With the opening of free agency months in the rearview, Clowney isn't likely to have many substantial offers on the table at this time. Signing a short-term deal with Cleveland makes sense for both sides. The Browns are holding onto more cap than the average NFL team and look poised to be a playoff contender again in 2021. Clowney will reap the benefits of playing opposite Myles Garrett which should boost his stats and earn him a bigger payday in the coming years. 

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Apr 11, 2021, 8:01 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DE Jadeveon Clowney is scheduled to visit with the Browns again on Wednesday.

He'll fly to Cleveland Tuesday night and visit with the team (again) on Wednesday. Nothing is reportedly imminent at this moment, but odds are Clowney wouldn't fly to speak with the front office again if a contract weren't waiting for him to sign upon arrival. The 28-year-old stands to benefit immensely opposite All-World EDGE Myles Garrett, undoubtedly reaping the rewards of one-on-one blocking with any one-year deal. It's a rare win-win scenario for both parties.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 12, 2021, 1:46 PM ET

Browns signed DL Jadeveon Clowney, formerly of the Titans, to a one-year contract worth up to $10 million. 

Clowney will join his fourth team in four years after a 2020 season in which he didn't record a sack in eight games. He missed half the season with a knee injury -- a rarity for the usual-durable veteran. In Cleveland, Clowney, 28, stands to benefit from the attention opposing offenses will give to blocking Myles Garrett. The Browns in 2020 had the 12th lowest sack rate in the NFL, averaging 2.2 sacks per game (16th). 

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter 

Apr 14, 2021, 12:30 PM ET

Before last year played in 13, 15, 16, 14 and 13 games the last 5 years.
This is incorrect. He played eight games this year. His total for his career is below average for a DL on a per year basis. And half the time he plays, his ineffectiveness is excused because he's "gutting it out" after being listed as questionable. It's not incorrect to criticize that blurb.

This is incorrect. He played eight games this year. His total for his career is below average for a DL on a per year basis. And half the time he plays, his ineffectiveness is excused because he's "gutting it out" after being listed as questionable. It's not incorrect to criticize that blurb.
He also conveniently left out his 4 games played in his rookie season before his arbitrary 5 year cutoff. The knock on Clowney has always been his inability to stay healthy.

"We practiced all week, and we get in the game and they want to move me. I'm not doing that s---. I'm old. I done my job. I don't have time for that," Clowney had told Cleveland.com. "I've made my money. I'm doing this because I love the game, but keep [doing things like that] and making me not love the game." :unsure:

"We practiced all week, and we get in the game and they want to move me. I'm not doing that s---. I'm old. I done my job. I don't have time for that," Clowney had told Cleveland.com. "I've made my money. I'm doing this because I love the game, but keep [doing things like that] and making me not love the game." :unsure:
Good riddance

Browns released DE Jadeveon Clowney.

The Browns will release Clowney with a post-June 1 designation, eating $1.5 million in dead cap in the process. In his second season with the Browns, Clowney appeared in 12 games but managed just two sacks. The former No. 1 overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft will once again be on the move, as he'll look to suit up for his fifth team in the last six years. Entering his age-30 season, Clowney should have plenty left in the tank to contribute as a pass rusher, but his inconsistent play should temper expectations.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM ET

Ravens signed EDGE Jadeveon Clowney, formerly of the Browns, to a one-year contract.
Clowney’s two-year run with the Browns officially comes to an end, as he now joins their division rival. Clowney is the second veteran signing the Ravens have made in the last two days after they recently signed DB Ronald Darby. Clowney managed just two sacks in 12 games with the Browns last season but racked up nine sacks in 14 games in 2021. The former No. 1 overall pick never quite lived up to his lofty 2014 draft capital, but he’s still a capable pass rusher who softens the loss of Justin Houston, who joined the Panthers after notching 9.5 sacks with the Ravens last season.

Looking at his stats he only has 43 sacks in 9 years and has never had double digit sacks...name is much bigger than the production.

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports OLB Jadeveon Clowney is visiting with the Panthers.
The Ravens, per Garafolo, remain interested in bringing back Clowney, but several teams are looking to pry him away from Baltimore in free agency. The 31-year-old pass rusher is a South Carolina native. Clowney is coming off a superb 2023 campaign in which he totaled 9.5 sacks over 17 games, tying his single-season high for sacks. PFF graded Carolina’s pass rush as the league’s 10th worst in 2023.

Bleacher Report’s Jordan Schultz reports the Jets are “highly motivated” to sign free agent EDGE Jadeveon Clowney.
According to Schultz, the Panthers and Ravens also remain interested in Clowney, who tied a career high with 9.5 sacks in his first season with the Ravens. Schultz says the Jets and Clowney “have remained in constant contact” since their first meeting, which could indicate signing is coming any day now. Still, we’d expect money to play a big factor in where he signs when you consider the fact that the Panthers are still on the table.

Panthers signed EDGE Jadeveon Clowney, formerly of the Ravens, to a two-year, $20 million contract.
Ian Rapoport was first with the scoop and Adam Schefter later added the contract details. Clowney most recently played in Baltimore, racking up 9.5 sacks and nine TFLs in his only season as a Raven. Now a mercenary, Clowney has played for four different teams in five years since finishing out his rookie contract with the Texans. Even at 31 years old, Clowney is still a top-end pass-rusher who excels as the foil to another elite EDGE. He will join Brian Burns in Carolina to create a formidable pass-rush for a Panthers defense looking to retool after a disappointing 2023 campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread