What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

Why would you post this other than to be a jerk?
In Bobby's defense (not that he needs it from me), all he posted was that he was "bummed about the leaked video".  This doesn't necessarily give anything away.  It could be video showing James attain the record which bummed him out to know in advance.  It could be video about a really close match and the excitement of being able to see it unfold was now gone which bummed him out.  It could be video of something that happens 10 shows down the line.  Only if you dug deeper could you ascertain what Bobby was referencing from his initial post.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Bobby's defense (not that he needs it from me), all he posted was that he was "bummed about the leaked video".  This doesn't necessarily give anything away.  It could be video showing Josh attain the record which bummed him out to know in advance.  It could be video about a really close match and the excitement of being able to see it unfold was now gone which bummed him out.  It could be video of something that happens 10 shows down the line.  Only if you dug deeper could you ascertain what Bobby was referencing from his initial post.
Seemed pretty obvious to me, but whatever. 

Why would you post this other than to be a jerk?
Thanks for trying @Galileo

@Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off -

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.
I apologize for calling you a tool. In hindsight, that should have been reserved for posty. 

Cool, cool, all good. 

(well....at least with 3-4 of you. Waiting on the other 56,335 to weigh in.)

Did they show it tonight or is that later in the season? Can we talk about WTH was that FJ bet all about?

Awesome run. So I presume he ends up with 2nd best all-time in both winnings and winning streak? Absolutely shattered every other record and his strategy was revolutionary, which is pretty crazy for a game that has been on the tube since 1964.

👍

Cool, cool, all good. 

(well....at least with 3-4 of you. Waiting on the other 56,335 to weigh in.)

Did they show it tonight or is that later in the season? Can we talk about WTH was that FJ bet all about?

Awesome run. So I presume he ends up with 2nd best all-time in both winnings and winning streak? Absolutely shattered every other record and his strategy was revolutionary, which is pretty crazy for a game that has been on the tube since 1964.
I think after the show is fair game.

What in the hell was that final bet about? Did he throw the game? She had enough to beat him but still...?

I think after the show is fair game.

What in the hell was that final bet about? Did he throw the game? She had enough to beat him but still...?
He needed the leader to get it wrong and he wanted to guard against the top two getting it wrong and the third place finisher getting FJ correct.  His wager wasn't going to win it for him but it could have cost him a victory in certain circumstances.

He bet just enough to beat the guy in 3rd place if he bet double. It was the right bet, since she had to miss the question.
I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 

He needed the leader to get it wrong and he wanted to guard against the top two getting it wrong and the third place finisher getting FJ correct.  His wager wasn't going to win it for him but it could have cost him a victory in certain circumstances.
I can see how for some people this is the play but it seems to run contradictory to how he’s bet in the past. Also, what did he miss on this run - 1 FJ total? He also didn’t miss an answer all night. Just odd. 

I can see how for some people this is the play but it seems to run contradictory to how he’s bet in the past. Also, what did he miss on this run - 1 FJ total? He also didn’t miss an answer all night. Just odd. 
It was the correct play and you've never seen it before because he's never trailed going into FJ.  His goal was to win the game first and he gained nothing by wagering big.  There are some scenarios where he costs himself the victory by wagering big in FJ.

I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 
He arranged the game so that if she missed the question he won no matter what else happened.

The odds of her missing the question have to be higher than her losing because she bet wrong.

Everyone knows that if you are in the lead in Final Jeopardy, but you don't have double the next opponent that you will bet enough to beat that opponent by at least one dollar, and that was exactly her bet. James knew that the only way he could win was if she didn't answer correctly. So then, he bet the amount that would beat the 3rd place contestant if he bet double, and he bet that exact amount (edit to clarify, he bet enough that if he missed the answer he would still beat the 3rd place guy).

As a side note, James lost because in round 1 he got the first daily double right off the bat, so he could only bet 1000, which essentially made it a regular 1000 dollar question. Then in Round 2, Emma found both Double Jeopardys, and she doubled up on one, and bet 3000 on the other (which I thought was a mistake going against James). 

Game theory. He assumes she will bet big and other guy will bet big  

If he gets it right and she gets it right, he knows he’s not going to win. 

If he gets it right and she gets it wrong, he doesn’t need a big bet to take the lead. 

If they both get it wrong, he wants to lose a small amount and hope she bets big. 

If he gets it wrong, he also has to defend against the other guy getting it right and doubling his amount. 

Yes, James bet correctly. And I'm kind of glad the internet blew the secret this morning since I slept right through the damn thing.

As a side note, James lost because in round 1 he got the first daily double right off the bat, so he could only bet 1000, which essentially made it a regular 1000 dollar question. Then in Round 2, Emma found both Double Jeopardys, and she doubled up on one, and bet 3000 on the other (which I thought was a mistake going against James). 
Honestly, James got beat at his own game. Most players would never try to do a true Double Jeopardy in Round 2. Emma knew who she was playing, and had to make that bet. The fact that she also found the second one sealed the deal.

The odds of her missing the question have to be higher than her losing because she bet wrong.
Yeah, I wonder how often the person in first place going into final jeopardy gets it right and loses. I'm sure it's happened, but has to be extremely rare.

At least my wife got to be surprised since she didnt hear he lost.

Seems like the consensus is James made the right play, but she also played very smart throughout both rounds - as well as getting lucky in finding the DJs. Bit of a perfect storm to take him down.

Seems like the consensus is James made the right play, but she also played very smart throughout both rounds - as well as getting lucky in finding the DJs. Bit of a perfect storm to take him down.
He was unlucky getting the DD in the first Rd when he had no $ yet 

How often has he gone into FJ not in the lead?

Well, one thing I'm thankful for, due to the spoiler I made sure I watched tonight, and learned that I've been pronouncing Albert Camus incorrectly my entire life.

She was ahead by 3000 at that point, it was the last DD and therefore she knew he couldn't "leap ahead" by betting 10K on a single question or anything. She bet enough to keep her lead even if she got it wrong, and put the pressure on him to out-buzz her, which he hadn't been doing yet. 

Losing a late lead against James with no DDs left on the board would be a bigger mistake IMO.
To me it was a matter of betting on getting a true Daily Double right or waiting for Final Jeopardy. You are probably right that Final Jeopardy would be less risky.

Honestly, James got beat at his own game. Most players would never try to do a true Double Jeopardy in Round 2. Emma knew who she was playing, and had to make that bet. The fact that she also found the second one sealed the deal.
yep.  i had a feeling once people saw him play a bit his days would be numbered as they would simply use his strategy as well.  Then on a day where he misses the DDs he is done.  Like today. 

I think we will see more of these close games as more players learn that they must play aggressive to compete with him.  Should be interesting.  

so with the teachers tournament, does that mean we will start seeing players that have most likely seen a good portion of his run?  We still see players that havent changed their strategy yet, but i think more and more will play like the guy earlier this week.

Well there is a strategy.  You need to get the DDs away from him to have a chance.  Which means not going for the top line first.  I still see people doing this.  When you have a chance you need to choose questions likely to have a DD.  Of course thats easier said than done.  but its almost a must that you have to do that against him. 
:shrug: i will be curious to see him during the next tourney. 

Well, one thing I'm thankful for, due to the spoiler I made sure I watched tonight, and learned that I've been pronouncing Albert Camus incorrectly my entire life.
I never make fun of people who mispronounce words--they learned them by reading. 

Camus' name comes up often enough on Jeopardy! though--did you break your ankle jumping off the bandwagon when James lost?

He was unlucky getting the DD in the first Rd when he had no $ yet 
Yeah, for sure, that was massive because he usually gets on a roll from impeccable buzzer timing & gets so far out in front there’s no hope. Only netting $1K from that DD set the tone.

Users who are viewing this thread