What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

I love Patterson. His future is bright but if you have a decent WR on the bench this week I think you should sit him. He's just not that polished of a WR yet and if they have Revis shadow him 0 receptions is a possibility imo.
If Revis plays like he did last week covering Mike Wallace, Patterson will embarrass him.

Revis is still good, but clearly not the guy he used to be. He can be beaten with speed as was shown a couple of times last week. I'll be starting Patterson with confidence, regardless if he's being "shadowed" or not.

Guys, it's pretty simple: if you own Patterson you are playing him, regardless of matchup (except maybe if he plays Seattle and even then he might be fine BC they will move him around the formation away from Sherman). The only wrs you should ever consider starting over this stud are the top guys like Calvin, Marshall, Nelson, Julio, DT, dez...

He is that good. And the Vikings coaches know it. When they get him involved the scoreboard always seems to light up. Play him.

I think he can handle between 8-12 offensive touches per game, including 2-4 rushes. Unlikely to be his average, but that's his upside and it entails low-mid WR1 stats.

Add return yards and you're looking at a potential monster, considering he's the best and most active kick returner in the league.

:popcorn:
I don't really get the return yardage argument. My league is 1 poitn per 25 yards. That's like 2-3 PPG. It's not that much of a boost in PPR considering he's not likely to be a target monster like either AJ, Calvin, Julio, etc.
I don't see how u can sit him in return yardage leagues honestly... 2-3 pts floor is like 2-3 catches in ppr no?

So a line of 3 catches 40 yds and 3 pts on 75 return yds equals 10 pts... Pretty good floor... Then of course if he runs 2-3 times for abt 15-20 yds that's another 2 pts... He is a 10 to 12 pt floor ppr guy in return leagues so what's not to like??

Of course let's say he explodes for a 100 yd kick return and now you have a 10 pt play even before we factor in his catches and Runs

Non-ppr Return leagues he is a never bench period... Right now!!

In ppr return leagues you bench at your own risk

Revis is still good, but clearly not the guy he used to be. He can be beaten with speed as was shown a couple of times last week. I'll be starting Patterson with confidence, regardless if he's being "shadowed" or not.
Agreed. The days of sitting WRs because they're going up against Revis are gone. He's still very good, but not someone you want to be scared of starting your WR against.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so I'm on record.

Cooks>Patterson for this week in PPR

It's really hard for me to sit him because he's such an exciting player but I'm going to.

The next few games will be telling whether Patterson gets put into the "never bench your studs" category.
The last 5 games haven't been enough?

I think going back to the end of last season, he's shown enough as an all around play maker that he should be in your lineup if you have him. Another year under his belt and another electric performance in week 1, I think Norval is going to do whatever he can to get this kid the ball. Last week was probably an anomaly with the targets / receptions IMO. There just wasn't a need to pass the ball in the blowout. If you bench him, you're going to regret it IMO.

People getting a bit too jacked up in here.

NE coming off a bad loss. Rarely lose two in a row. And Bill B. is usually very good at taking away weapons.

Not to mention he knows Cassel.

Think somewhat of a bust is coming this week.

And in general, he could be a little up and down this season with big weeks followed by duds but with performance evening out as the season goes on.

Temper expectations.

He seems like a must start now. Tough to bench a player with his skill set IMO. There aren't many guys in the league that can take it the distance with any touch. The Vikings only had 17 completions last week, not many receptions to go around. He'll get more when the Vikings need to score. Last week they were on cruise control. I don't see them being that improved where they also roll over NE, but anything is possible I guess.

NE coming off a bad loss. Rarely lose two in a row. And Bill B. is usually very good at taking away weapons.

And in general, he could be a little up and down this season with big weeks followed by duds but with performance evening out as the season goes on.

Temper expectations.
Maybe. I agree that NE will be more effective this week on O, which should add to CPs chances. Not to mention that since last year NE hasn't proven able to stop the run. If Moreno and Miller could run all over them, what are Peterson and Patterson going to do with their carries?

Guys, it's pretty simple: if you own Patterson you are playing him, regardless of matchup (except maybe if he plays Seattle and even then he might be fine BC they will move him around the formation away from Sherman). The only wrs you should ever consider starting over this stud are the top guys like Calvin, Marshall, Nelson, Julio, DT, dez...

He is that good. And the Vikings coaches know it. When they get him involved the scoreboard always seems to light up. Play him.
This is pretty much the tip of the iceberg...this guy is creating a pattern where he pretty much is a threat to score anytime he touches it. I doubt the Vikings coaches are dumb, they will make a more concerted effort to feature him for sure.

Temper expectations.
Bill Belichick definitely can't tackle Cordarrelle Patterson.

Temper expectations.
If this is true, it's even more reason to keep him in your lineup. You never know which game will be the ones where he explodes and wins your matchup for you. Don't be one of the fools who has cp on their bench during one of those weeks.

There's no reason why cp can't have a terrific week 2 at home vs ne.

werdnoynek said:
The next few games will be telling whether Patterson gets put into the "never bench your studs" category.

I think going back to the end of last season, he's shown enough as an all around play maker that he should be in your lineup if you have him. Another year under his belt and another electric performance in week 1, I think Norval is going to do whatever he can to get this kid the ball. Last week was probably an anomaly with the targets / receptions IMO. There just wasn't a need to pass the ball in the blowout. If you bench him, you're going to regret it IMO.
Me too.

Eventually, he'll have a quiet game, like EVERY OTHER wide receiver, and we'll see people in here calling him out.

werdnoynek said:

Me too.

Eventually, he'll have a quiet game, like EVERY OTHER wide receiver, and we'll see people in here calling him out.
Yep, lucky for us though, this guy also gets carries and can take it to the house at any time!!!

ETA: That was by best Brewtown impression, though I forgot to throw in a couple "..." 's.

What's really scare is, if he does evolve into a great, or even just good, NFL WR, he will become one of the three or four most feared offensive weapons in the NFL.

Talent + Norv Turner + Adrian Peterson commanding attention. I'm pretty comfortable with Patterson moving forward. Could see some boom/bust, but that's the life of a WR2 in non PPR.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.
Rarely being the key word. The Pats will lose this week. They will have no answer for our run game, and in turn our passing game will be better than expected. Patterson will have his highlights in the air or the ground or both.

Ill see ya after the game, sucker.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.
Rarely being the key word. The Pats will lose this week. They will have no answer for our run game, and in turn our passing game will be better than expected. Patterson will have his highlights in the air or the ground or both.

Lol. Thanks for the unbiased analysis there.

I actually own C. Patterson myself so I hope I'm WRONG.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.

No problem, sucker.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.

No problem, sucker.
Also, your analysis was garbage. You didnt say anything. LOL- BB knows Cassel..? What does that mean? He hasnt played for NE in 6 years. Just a dumb statement.

I love Patterson. His future is bright but if you have a decent WR on the bench this week I think you should sit him. He's just not that polished of a WR yet and if they have Revis shadow him 0 receptions is a possibility imo.
I don't necessarily disagree but he is still a flex even if all he gets is 3/4 carries and a handful of returns. Guy is lightning in a bottle.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.

No problem, sucker.
Also, your analysis was garbage. You didnt say anything. LOL- BB knows Cassel..? What does that mean? He hasnt played for NE in 6 years. Just a dumb statement.
Easy there killer.

I mean sucker.

I don't necessarily disagree but he is still a flex even if all he gets is 3/4 carries and a handful of returns. Guy is lightning in a bottle.
I agree, but if he doesn't get that 67 yard rushing TD everyone would be screaming what a bust he is with 3 catches for 26 yards and 2 rushes for 35 yards.

If you need to hit it out of the park to win your match up I'd still start Patterson. He could run for two long TD's and catch 5 balls for 90 yards. There might be safer alternatives on your bench though if a more conservative approach is needed in your match up.

I agree, but if he doesn't get that 67 yard rushing TD everyone would be screaming what a bust he is with 3 catches for 26 yards and 2 rushes for 35 yards.
But he did.

But he did.
And i believe he did it in 5 or 6 games straight. I sense a pattern...

God those ^^^^^^^ numbers are so ####### sexy. I traded Cobb for Patterson right before the season started. Believe me when I say I have a lot faith in his talent. Can't wait until Bridgewater gets up to speed and gets to play with Patterson. It's only going to help his numbers.

But he did.
And i believe he did it in 5 or 6 games straight. I sense a pattern...
He's had 4 rushing TD's in his last 6 games and he's had a receiving or rushing TD in all 6.

7 total TD's in his last 6 games.

Patterson averages a TD very 7.875 times he touches the ball. I will not be benching him until that number is significantly higher.

Patterson averages a TD very 7.875 times he touches the ball. I will not be benching him until that number is significantly higher.
Do you think it's possible that number comes down significantly in the near future or do you think we are looking at the #1WR in FF?

Do you think it's possible that number comes down significantly in the near future or do you think we are looking at the #1WR in FF?
It will likely come down this year. That's a pretty ridiculous pace. While Patterson is capable of being the #1 WR in FF his opportunity and development still need expanded to get there. He's not elite and other guys are. I have a hard time envisioning guys who don't have a real opportunity to catch near 100 balls as the top WR. It's possible given his rushing acumen but it would be unprecedented.

kyoun1e said:

Temper expectations.

No problem, sucker.
Easy there killer.

I mean sucker.
Killer? Im a killer because I dont think your analysis said anything of substance? It didnt. I cant help that. :shrug:

It will likely come down this year. That's a pretty ridiculous pace. While Patterson is capable of being the #1 WR in FF his opportunity and development still need expanded to get there. He's not elite and other guys are. I have a hard time envisioning guys who don't have a real opportunity to catch near 100 balls as the top WR. It's possible given his rushing acumen but it would be unprecedented.
I like that answer. Appreciate it and think it's pretty accurate. He could easily have less than 70 receptions by the end of the year. The question is does he have 5-6 rushing TD's and 700+ yards rushing to go along with those <70 receptions. That would likely vault him into top 10 WR in FF. It would be an odd way to get there though........

He's obviously elite at making plays with the ball in his hands. I would like to see him get behind the defense and catch some long TD's as well. He had a nice play like that against a backup in the preseason so he's getting there.

I think the receptions could/should go up just to get the ball in his hands, even if it's in the form of screens/quick outs.

I think the receptions could/should go up just to get the ball in his hands, even if it's in the form of screens/quick outs.

Teams have been keying AP for years, and he still gashes them. And most of the time, you know where he is. Patterson can be anywhere.

I'm watching the NFL rewind right now. CP has absolutely ridiculous second level speed. All it takes is one play with this guy in open space for him to be productive. Hell, hes so quick he lost his ####### cleat trying to cut after catching a short pass. His cleats can't keep up.

The Patriots lost out on the opportunity to land their first difference-making vertical threat since Randy Moss was making plays outside the numbers a half-decade ago. Belichick will be charged with ensuring that Patterson doesn't remind him of that lamentation on Sunday.
It's nitpicking I know, but he's had one catch over 25 yards in his career. His 79 yard TD catch was a screen he caught in the backfield.

Users who are viewing this thread