What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (1 Viewer)

twood said:
So if drafting this weekend is Eddie Lacy a top 10 rb you feel comfortable with?

Positives:

1) Looks to have his weight under control and in good shap

2) Jordy will help keep the defenses honest and plays in a great system

3) Contract year

Negatives

1) James Starks

2) Putting on weight during the year.

It looks to me like the positives outweigh the negatives.

Let me know you concerns and where you would rank him right now
Contract year is huge

Contract year is huge
This.

I am an Eddie Dynasty owner. I think (and that's all we can really do is think about what might happen) that the signs are pointing for an Eddie top-10 season. The P90X stuff, the coach calling him out stuff.

But two things really make me believe it. The first is that it's a contract year.

The 2nd is that during his worst pro season, while in grotesque shape, and playing for an offense that wasn't firing on all cylinders...he was able to ramble 61 yards against the no-joke Cardinals. Yes, there was great blocking on the play...but it did show a lot to me.

Anyway, I could see his floor being top-10, with him actually flirting with a #1 ceiling (standard league...no ppr)

Lacy is getting more valuable with the negative RB news like Bell's...you almost have to be on the train by default.  Not many RBs out there represent his upside. 

That being said, I like a few of the WRs around where he is going so he likely won't be on many of my teams as I'm targeting Latavius and Matt Jones in the middle rounds if I start WR heavy.

Lacy is getting more valuable with the negative RB news like Bell's...you almost have to be on the train by default.  Not many RBs out there represent his upside. 

That being said, I like a few of the WRs around where he is going so he likely won't be on many of my teams as I'm targeting Latavius and Matt Jones in the middle rounds if I start WR heavy.
Seems like everyone is going that strategy now. Its the new RB/RB in the first/second round. 

Here is some video of him during Day 1 of camp, a pretty good bit of him doing drills.
http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1689514-watch-lacy-at-day-1-of-training-camp

Eddie Lacy - RB - Packers
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Pete Dougherty estimates Eddie Lacy reported to camp "around the 240-pound mark."
It would be a 20-pound loss from where Lacy reported at last year's camp. Lacy's ideal weight is 231-235, but he could easily sweat off several more pounds practicing in the heat. He remains a boom-bust investment in fantasy drafts.

As to the bolded part, I think where he has been going in drafts, he certainly seems to offer more boom. Last year, he was seen as the safest RB to draft. Sure last season was a mess for him, but if he's back down to the weight the Packers want him to be, why do some think he won't get back to doing what he did his first 2 seasons in the league?

Eddie Lacy - RB - Packers
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Pete Dougherty estimates Eddie Lacy reported to camp "around the 240-pound mark."
It would be a 20-pound loss from where Lacy reported at last year's camp. Lacy's ideal weight is 231-235, but he could easily sweat off several more pounds practicing in the heat. He remains a boom-bust investment in fantasy drafts.

As to the bolded part, I think where he has been going in drafts, he certainly seems to offer more boom. Last year, he was seen as the safest RB to draft. Sure last season was a mess for him, but if he's back down to the weight the Packers want him to be, why do some think he won't get back to doing what he did his first 2 seasons in the league?

I've seen him going from late 2nd to early 4th in drafts so far.

Right now, I'd rather have a stud WR in the 2nd round over Lacy,

but if he's there in the 3rd and I have 2 stud WRs, he's in the conversation, if he's there in the 4th, no brainer.

I have always seen Eddie Lacy is Jerome Bettis like and I think he can be heavy and still be a good RB.  The question will be will Green Bay trust him as a heavy RB.  Bettis had to move on from the Rams to the Steelers before he found a fit that accepted him as a big RB.  I still view him as a pretty risky option and am guessing someone will grab him before me in most of my leagues.

I have always seen Eddie Lacy is Jerome Bettis like and I think he can be heavy and still be a good RB.  The question will be will Green Bay trust him as a heavy RB.  Bettis had to move on from the Rams to the Steelers before he found a fit that accepted him as a big RB.  I still view him as a pretty risky option and am guessing someone will grab him before me in most of my leagues.
How heavy exactly? He sure wasn't good last year. 

I honestly don't know why people feel Lacy wasn't good last year.  The whole team was down.  Was it the loss of Jordy?  That was maybe part of it.  I really think there is a fair amount of question about the rebound of the entire Packers offense.  Back to Lacy.  He average 4.1 yards per carry last season, down slightly from his career average of 4.3.  His touches were down and his TD were down as the offense was bad and he got in the dog house.  I see the concern and I too worry about his attitude and ability to stay out of the doghouse but it seems strange that a RB that averaged 4.1 yards per carry wasn't very good.  The talent is there, even at the weight he played last year.  How the coaching staff views his attitude and how they choose to use him is the question.

I honestly don't know why people feel Lacy wasn't good last year.  The whole team was down.  Was it the loss of Jordy?  That was maybe part of it.  I really think there is a fair amount of question about the rebound of the entire Packers offense.  Back to Lacy.  He average 4.1 yards per carry last season, down slightly from his career average of 4.3.  His touches were down and his TD were down as the offense was bad and he got in the dog house.  I see the concern and I too worry about his attitude and ability to stay out of the doghouse but it seems strange that a RB that averaged 4.1 yards per carry wasn't very good.  The talent is there, even at the weight he played last year.  How the coaching staff views his attitude and how they choose to use him is the question.
Was coming to post pretty much the same thing. Going into last season, Lacy's career YPC was 4.4, he was at 4.1 last season, the same as his rookie season. His numbers were down because 1) He was banged up early in the season 2) The Packers offense as a whole struggled 3) He averaged 265 carries his first 2 seasons and only had 187 last year (78 less carries than average). So take those 3 things into account and his struggles don't look so bad. And then you add in Starks, who also averaged 4.1ypc last season and you can see that it wasn't just Lacy that didn't light up the running game.

It was certainly a down season for Lacy last year. Do I think he'll bounce back this season? Yes I do. I'm not saying draft him among the Top 5 RBs, but would it really shock anyone if he finished in the Top 10 last year? He was RB8 his rookie year and RB6 his 2nd year. If he keeps his conditioning up (and he has every reason to with it being a contract year), I don't see why he couldn't get back to his previous production level.

it's not lacy I am down on, its mcarthy, starks was used a lot, and was very frustrating to watch as a lacy owner..

dont know if i can revisit that again this year

it's not lacy I am down on, its mcarthy, starks was used a lot, and was very frustrating to watch as a lacy owner..

dont know if i can revisit that again this year
That is like blaming the teacher for the student failing his test after not studying. I think there is a reason we saw so much more Starks last year and it wasn't McCarthy just decided to mix it up. 

I guess, I saw Fat Eddie playing well tho, and his 4.1 proved that.. he had some great games despite his weight.. I don't know.. it was frustrating.. I am just a little shell shocked to go back to that well...

I guess, I saw Fat Eddie playing well tho, and his 4.1 proved that.. he had some great games despite his weight.. I don't know.. it was frustrating.. I am just a little shell shocked to go back to that well...
This sums up what I was pointing out.  I really don't think there was a huge decline in how Lacy played last year even with the added weight.  He got a lot less carries and was in the dog house several times.  I think Lacy is still a good RB whether he is playing at 235 or 260, playing the higher weight probably costs him some yards on longer runs.  The real gamble is how the Packer staff views him and uses him.  They have already said he needed to lose weight so if he keeps his weight down and things are going well he probably gets 250-275 carries.  If the team is struggling and they put the blame on Lacy and his conditioning maybe he gets 180 carries again.  It's probably more about the coaching staff using him than about Eddie's abilities.

There were 31 RBs with at least 50 attempts that averaged more than Lacy. He wasn't horrible, but he wasn't really good either. At least not in that stat. He had 4 fumbles on 197 touches. His longest run was only 29 yards. Other than evaded tackles, all his advanced metrics were middle of the road. He was not bad and no Jordy certainly played a role in that, but it was disappointing to see him regress so much after a very promising second year. 

I'm not sure why you would choose 50 rushing attempts.  That's like 3 per game.  That would include all sorts of 3rd down RB getting a few carries on 3rd and 15.  

Looking at the top attempts guys from last year here are some who were 4.1 or less: Latavius Murray, Devonta Freeman, Frank Gore, Jonathan Stewart, Jeremy Hill, Alfred Morris, DeMarco Murray (these were just the guys who had more carries than Lacy).  That's about 1/3 of the rushers.  He was #20 in attempts but #14 in yards per attempt in that 20.  In a poor year that makes him a weak RB1 or a strong RB2.

I don't think anyone is arguing he had a down year.  It seems much of it was due to his limited touches.  The point I have been trying to make is that he wasn't as poor as people might think before looking at the numbers.  He does carry a lot of risk.  I recently traded him away in a salary cap league for Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard because it saved me 27% in salary at the RB spot.  I think there is still a lot to like but it also comes with a large share of risk

That is like blaming the teacher for the student failing his test after not studying. I think there is a reason we saw so much more Starks last year and it wasn't McCarthy just decided to mix it up. 
Or was it the gamescripts that had GB playing with a lead less often than the past? Seems to me the short fat kid in the back row may be getting blamed for having a below average score when everyone in the class did much poorer on the test than expected as well. That typically does fall on the teacher. Cobb, Adams, even Rodgers.... none of them got A's either. Maybe not even C's all thing considered.

I actually thought Lacy did well in the passing game, guy has good feet.  I remember that one play where he almost gave me a heart attack when he fumbled the ball right at the goal line as he celebrated a tad early.

I remember Lacy getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage fairly frequently last year.

That whole team was in shambles. Not sure what to expect from him this year but there's no denying Starks looked great in his role.

I remember Lacy getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage fairly frequently last year.

That whole team was in shambles. Not sure what to expect from him this year but there's no denying Starks looked great in his role.
Starks looked great but finished with the same YPC as Lacy? Starks had 993 yards from scrimmage and Lacy had 946 and played in 1 less game and got hurt after 3 carries in another. They both had the same amount of total TDs too.

Or was it the gamescripts that had GB playing with a lead less often than the past? Seems to me the short fat kid in the back row may be getting blamed for having a below average score when everyone in the class did much poorer on the test than expected as well. That typically does fall on the teacher. Cobb, Adams, even Rodgers.... none of them got A's either. Maybe not even C's all thing considered.
I hear you. Football is such an intricate sport that it is hard to really determine who is to blame. Maybe if Lacy was in top shape, he would have been able to help Cobb and Rodgers out. Maybe coach wouldn't have continued to pull him for Starks. I know Jordy being out hurt the team. It could have been a chance for Lacy to shine and get a bigger workload, instead, he was just ok and the coach had to try working the back-up in jump start the offense.I think this is a case where we can see it either way depending on how we subjectively feel about Lacy.

Starks looked great but finished with the same YPC as Lacy? Starks had 993 yards from scrimmage and Lacy had 946 and played in 1 less game and got hurt after 3 carries in another. They both had the same amount of total TDs too.
Exactly, who makes less money? My suggestion is that as of last year Lacy wasn't really producing anything special that someone like Starks couldn't pop-in and produce.

Which obviously indicates that Lacy may be a try-hard this year but that's more speculation right thurrr.

thats my concern, Starks was very good last year, so I understand why the coaching staff let him hang around and get a ton of work at Lacy's expense.. whats to say that won't be the case again this year?  It was frustrating to see that happen last year, and I don't see why it wont be the case again this year, even with the pound droppage..

Im kinda staying clear, even though I like Lacy.. I don't like the coaching staff..

Jordy on the other hand.. I'm ready to pounce on.. 

Exactly, who makes less money? My suggestion is that as of last year Lacy wasn't really producing anything special that someone like Starks couldn't pop-in and produce.

Which obviously indicates that Lacy may be a try-hard this year but that's more speculation right thurrr.
What does making less money have anything to do with it? You said Starks looked great last year. His stats say he really wasn't much better than Lacy. Starks is also 30 now, so who knows what he has left. Could he steal some carries? Sure. There are many RB situations around the league where just 1 guy will get all the carries.

thats my concern, Starks was very good last year, so I understand why the coaching staff let him hang around and get a ton of work at Lacy's expense.. whats to say that won't be the case again this year?  It was frustrating to see that happen last year, and I don't see why it wont be the case again this year, even with the pound droppage..

Im kinda staying clear, even though I like Lacy.. I don't like the coaching staff..

Jordy on the other hand.. I'm ready to pounce on.. 
How did you get Starks was very good last year out of him having just 47 more yards from scrimmage last season and having played 1 more game than Lacy?

What does making less money have anything to do with it? You said Starks looked great last year. His stats say he really wasn't much better than Lacy. Starks is also 30 now, so who knows what he has left. Could he steal some carries? Sure. There are many RB situations around the league where just 1 guy will get all the carries.
Starks did look great last year as good as Lacy and he was supposed to be the backup.

Starks did look great last year as good as Lacy and he was supposed to be the backup.
Ok? DeAngelo Williams looked as good if not better than Lev Bell last year. Should we be worried about Bell? What about Charles and Ware/West? Those guys were supposed to be backups last year too and were just as good as the starters.

Lacy had 207 touches to Starks' 191 so that "Starks played one more game line" is very misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok? DeAngelo Williams looked as good if not better than Lev Bell last year. Should we be worried about Bell? What about Charles and Ware/West? Those guys were supposed to be backups last year too and were just as good as the starters.
The guys you listed got to produce because of injury.

Lacy was not injured last year, very different concept when a coach is giving you touches when the starter is on the sideline healthy.

It won't matter much, Lacy is a touchdown dependent player he'll get more touchdowns than the paltry 5 that he saw last year.

I view him as a high end RB2 who is dependent on RZ carries and in this offense there will be a lot.

diff coaching staff...

would be interesting if lacy was on pitt with de will.., wonder if fat eddie would have been sidelined half the time...

but this coaching staff is why I am worried about Lacy at a high pick.. he is ADP is 11th right now.. too rich for my blood with this coaching staff and the same Starks combo in the mix... 

The guys you listed got to produce because of injury.

Lacy was not injured last year, very different concept when a coach is giving you touches when the starter is on the sideline healthy.
Yes and no. He was injured last year. Came out of the Seahawks game in Week 2 after 3 carries with a sprained ankle and missed the Week 10 game against the Lions due to a groin injury.

Yes and no. He was injured last year. Came out of the Seahawks game in Week 2 after 3 carries with a sprained ankle and missed the Week 10 game against the Lions due to a groin injury.
Wasn't there some talk that he missed the Lions due to disciplinary reasons and not injury?  If I am correct that might be more alarming.  My guess is that his attitude/work ethic had come to the point that the coaches needed to try to wake him up a bit.  Now we wait to see how he responds.

Did someone just say that Lacy wasnt hurt last year? Most of what is being said is opinion and thats valid from everyone.
But saying Lacy wasnt injured last year? To deny that would be liken to Donald Trump making a speech.
Lets keep the facts straight around here. Lacy hurt his ankle early and god knows if he ever recovered.
Since most injured players really never fully heal. For Redraft, the way my mocks work out, the 3rd is where he may fall.

The problems with Lacy last year were:

1) There were some horrific games......... 3 ATT - 9YDS /4 ATT - 3YDS /5 ATT - 10YDS /5ATT - 4 YDS..IIRC, he was also benched without warning for one game.....you can't have your 1st round/RB1 throwing up those games.

2) To that, Starks put up some very good numbers in three of those games. 

To me, an RB1/1RD pick is an automatic start every week who should produce something in most/if not all situations.While the GB O was worse last year than in years past......the GB RB playing (Starks or Lacy) put up decent numbers for most of the weeks. If Starks is producing when Lacy isn't in a similar environment.......that's a bit troubling if you're counting on Lacy.

That being said, Lacy has enough talent to bounce back and be a top back.  I'm certainly not confident with him as a 1st round pick (Starks has enough talent to cut into his numbers somewhat....but also McCarthy seemed content to NOT have Lacy as a bellcow back in certain situations).......I wouldn't have a problem with Lacy as my RB2 or as an RB1A/2A/3A.....if I'm stronger at other positions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The problems with Lacy last year were:

1) There were some horrific games......... 3 ATT - 9YDS /4 ATT - 3YDS /5 ATT - 10YDS /5ATT - 4 YDS..IIRC, he was also benched without warning for one game.....you can't have your 1st round/RB1 throwing up those games.
1) The 3/9 game is the Seattle game in which he was injured on the opening drive and didn't come back. The 5/4 game was the Week 13 Detroit game in which he was benched for missing curfew.

A lot of people seem to forget he seemed to be the Packers' RB of choice for them in the playoffs. 24car/152yds for Lacy and 19car/76yds for Starks.

Yes, I agree that those aren't numbers you want from your 1st round pick. Again, not advocating for taking him in the 1st this year, but as a late 2nd/early 3rd, I think you could do worse then possibly grabbing a RB with Top 5-10 potential.

Lets see some predictions of numbers. I have a package deal going where I get him in a trade. I want to see what the community thinks about his realistic production.

Users who are viewing this thread