What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (3 Viewers)

Wonder if Team Gronk is considering a malpractice suit for his treatment over the past year. If so, I'd think he'd be advised not to play as playing would suggest he's really ok (kind of like the person in a car accident who sues for whiplash but is seen on a roller coaster before the trial starts). I read somewhere he's in non-contact drills (does NE have any contact drills mid-season?).

Seems there could be a lawyer behind some of this.

The contract issue, particularly in Hernandez's absence, is very plausible.

ETA: Plus, if he goes out and hurts himself again, does that not "destroy" the evidence that could be used in a malpractice suit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say it's hard to fault Gronk at all. Those numbers leave out the large signing bonus that Gronk got, and neglect to mention that it was done on top of him already being under contract for much less (IE they could have waited out his rookie deal).

Let's not pretend Gronk is a victim being forced to play for scraps of what he's worth. He just got a nice chunk of money upfront when the Pats could have left him as a guy being forced to play for the scraps of his rookie deal (the signing bonus on his extension alone was double the payout of his entire rookie contract).
If you want to talk about what he really got from the deal it was 2014 guaranteed for ~$13M. In reality he signed a two year extension with $13M guaranteed in 2014 and $5M non-guaranteed in 2015.

I still think this is money related. Here is what Gronk is due in total for each season for the remainder of his contract:

2013: $660,000

2014: $4 million

2015: $5 million

2016: $13 million

2017: $5 million

2018: $9 million

2019: $10 million

Sounds to me that if the Pats shifted the money around and gave him say $5 million cash now then he'd be good to go this weekend.
You very well may be on to something with this
If this is the case (and it makes perfect sense -- follow the money), then I'm starting to feel like he won't play this season. BB is a stubborn ******* and I can't see him being the one to blink. We've seen how he treats players like replaceable parts, even really integral ones like Welker. Guy was getting targeted constantly, then one day he's not part of the game plan. That was no accident. I think Belichick actually relishes being seen as evil, and might possibly even be an incarnation of Satan or a lesser demon, not unlike Jerry Jones.

On the other hand, if the forearm really is fine, how long can he keep using it as an excuse? If he's cleared and still doesn't play and it becomes clear that this is about money, he becomes a pariah as ESPN is already saying is starting to happen. And if that's the situation over the next few weeks, at what point can the Pats threaten to void his contract for refusing to play?

Yep, definitely more questions than answers at this point.
Why can't it be somewhere in-between?

Gronk could be playing this year safe because he is not seeing his big pay day yet. The team doctors have cleared him to play, but 2nd and 3rd opinion doctors are not recommending coming back yet. If it were me, I would not want to risk my future playing career and future money coming back early, especially given that I am only being paid peanuts for the time being.

I still think this is money related. Here is what Gronk is due in total for each season for the remainder of his contract:

Sounds to me that if the Pats shifted the money around and gave him say $5 million cash now then he'd be good to go this weekend.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but unless they are talking money, how can this be resolved?

If Gronk is "holding" out to make sure he gets some of that money, then he would need to say "guys, uh, I've played great my first few years, but you have jacked up my forearm & I'm not sure that I will see all that money that's in my contract. If you give me some of that now, I'll play."

If he did that, the backlash would be HUGE. So while you may be onto something, I don't see how it get settled.
I think you may be missing his point or maybe I am...

I took it as we wants to ensure he's 100% so he DOES see that 2014 and 2015 money as oppsed to being cut because he's damaged goods

Talking to a GP friend of mine last night and he said it's not uncommon for injuries like this forearm to never heal properly, if they haven't at this point, and it's not inconceivable he could lose the arm entirely at some point.

Wonder if Team Gronk is considering a malpractice suit for his treatment over the past year. If so, I'd think he'd be advised not to play as playing would suggest he's really ok (kind of like the person in a car accident who sues for whiplash but is seen on a roller coaster before the trial starts). I read somewhere he's in non-contact drills (does NE have any contact drills mid-season?).

Seems there could be a lawyer behind some of this.

The contract issue, particularly in Hernandez's absence, is very plausible.

ETA: Plus, if he goes out and hurts himself again, does that not "destroy" the evidence that could be used in a malpractice suit?
If that were the case they have already blown it by letting him practice in full.

You very well may be on to something with this
If this is the case (and it makes perfect sense -- follow the money), then I'm starting to feel like he won't play this season. BB is a stubborn ******* and I can't see him being the one to blink. We've seen how he treats players like replaceable parts, even really integral ones like Welker. Guy was getting targeted constantly, then one day he's not part of the game plan. That was no accident. I think Belichick actually relishes being seen as evil, and might possibly even be an incarnation of Satan or a lesser demon, not unlike Jerry Jones.

On the other hand, if the forearm really is fine, how long can he keep using it as an excuse? If he's cleared and still doesn't play and it becomes clear that this is about money, he becomes a pariah as ESPN is already saying is starting to happen. And if that's the situation over the next few weeks, at what point can the Pats threaten to void his contract for refusing to play?

Yep, definitely more questions than answers at this point.
Why can't it be somewhere in-between?

Gronk could be playing this year safe because he is not seeing his big pay day yet. The team doctors have cleared him to play, but 2nd and 3rd opinion doctors are not recommending coming back yet. If it were me, I would not want to risk my future playing career and future money coming back early, especially given that I am only being paid peanuts for the time being.
I agree with you in theory, the problem I have is that it's becoming increasingly clear that the forearm should be fine at this point. Dr. Jene said he's not aware of any possible bone issue that hasn't healed after 5 months and would benefit from another month of rest. So unless there is some freakish bone malady that has not been disclosed, his arm is fine now and he can play.

What happened last year is in the past. He can use his own doctors from now on if the team doctor is not trustworthy, and sue him for malpractice if there's a case to be made. But if the arm is good to go, he needs to honor his contract and get on the field.

Talking to a GP friend of mine last night and he said it's not uncommon for injuries like this forearm to never heal properly, if they haven't at this point, and it's not inconceivable he could lose the arm entirely at some point.
Sure, the arm just falls off while you're sleeping. Happens all the time. Come on man.

Sure, the arm just falls off while you're sleeping. Happens all the time. Come on man.
LOL, some of this is hysterical. I'm on the side that I don't blame Gronk at all. Sure, he is already set for life, but from the reports, the Pats effed up the whole process by doing a procedure last year to try and get him ready for the playoffs and jeapordized this season. Don't forget when they did that, they still had Welker (conceivable he might re-sign) and Hernandez, so they weren't even thinking about Gronk's future. I think Gronk and his "team" realized that and basically have taken the stance that they want to make sure he is 100% and not jeapordizing get reinjured and potentially ruining his career/future earnings.

That's what happens when you get your medical degree from Guadalajara.

MoveToSkypager said:
McGarnicle said:
WampusCat43 said:
Spontaneous arm combustion, it happens all the time. The government just keeps it quiet. :tinfoilhat:

cstu said:
FreeBaGeL said:
I wouldn't say it's hard to fault Gronk at all. Those numbers leave out the $8 million signing bonus that Gronk got, and neglect to mention that it was done on top of him already being under contract for much less (IE they could have waited out his rookie deal).

Let's not pretend Gronk is a victim being forced to play for scraps of what he's worth. He just got a nice chunk of money upfront when the Pats could have left him as a guy being forced to play for the scraps of his rookie deal (the signing bonus on his extension alone was double the payout of his entire rookie contract).
The Pats could have played hard ball with him but he also could have held out. Instead he got a 4 year, $18M deal with $13M guaranteed. That's extremely cheap compared to the deal Jimmy Graham is about to get.
Huh?

Gronk is currently on a 6 year, $54 million deal with $16.5M guaranteed. It's the richest contract for a TE in NFL history.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8025822/new-england-patriots-rob-gronkowski-agree-6-year-53-million-extension

yea he needs to get his ### out there asap.. enough of this baby #### wear a white protector plastic over forearm.. he is out practicing he can play in games.. Source said he should only miss one more game but these sources are really reliable... Week 8 looks to be tentative target date at home Vs Dolphins... Let's hope this is it, at the latest although week 7 @NYJ would be good game to get your feet wet.... Division rival and a good chance to put up some big numbers first game back.

yea he needs to get his ### out there asap.. enough of this baby #### wear a white protector plastic over forearm.. he is out practicing he can play in games.. Source said he should only miss one more game but these sources are really reliable... Week 8 looks to be tentative target date at home Vs Dolphins... Let's hope this is it, at the latest although week 7 @NYJ would be good game to get your feet wet.... Division rival and a good chance to put up some big numbers first game back.
Are you Mike Ditka's grandfather?

Come on boys, this is our highpoint of the week, lets have some positivity. Sometime tomorrow we'll start hearing rumblings he's not playing, but for now... :towelwave:

Come on boys, this is our highpoint of the week, lets have some positivity. Sometime tomorrow we'll start hearing rumblings he's not playing, but for now... :towelwave:
Not at all. Tomorrow will be optimism. Practiced catching touchdowns. Looks unbeatable.

The doubt will start sometime mid thursday, maybe a little less optimism. Then a story Friday morning about how there's a good chance "THIS IS THE WEEK"

Only later Friday will we hear that he had another falling out with his teammates, how his agent is now staging a protest, and he won't suit up this Sunday. Or ever again.

LOL, Ditka said something very similar on Mike & Mike yesterday. Paraphrasing, "you're paid to play. If you get hurt and you're injury prone, you'll have a short career. They pay you to play".

Not at all. Tomorrow will be optimism. Practiced catching touchdowns. Looks unbeatable.

The doubt will start sometime mid thursday, maybe a little less optimism. Then a story Friday morning about how there's a good chance "THIS IS THE WEEK"

Only later Friday will we hear that he had another falling out with his teammates, how his agent is now staging a protest, and he won't suit up this Sunday. Or ever again.
"Next question"

MoveToSkypager said:
McGarnicle said:
WampusCat43 said:
Spontaneous arm combustion, it happens all the time. The government just keeps it quiet. :tinfoilhat:
It's a good thing we have National Enquirer, or we'd never know about those things.

cstu said:
FreeBaGeL said:
I wouldn't say it's hard to fault Gronk at all. Those numbers leave out the $8 million signing bonus that Gronk got, and neglect to mention that it was done on top of him already being under contract for much less (IE they could have waited out his rookie deal).

The Pats could have played hard ball with him but he also could have held out. Instead he got a 4 year, $18M deal with $13M guaranteed. That's extremely cheap compared to the deal Jimmy Graham is about to get.
Huh?

Gronk is currently on a 6 year, $54 million deal with $16.5M guaranteed. It's the richest contract for a TE in NFL history.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8025822/new-england-patriots-rob-gronkowski-agree-6-year-53-million-extension
Most of that is for show since the pats have an option not to pick up the last 4 tears. The deal is over after 2015 and most of the money kicks in if the pats keep him in 2016. His current deal really is 4 years 18 million.

No reports today anywhere other than Brady saying he's not causing a rift and "Thom Brennaman on Gronk during Sunday: "We saw practice on Friday, and he was not only active, this guy was an animal.""

I like the no predictions or drama today. Maybe a positive? One can dream.

LOL, Ditka said something very similar on Mike & Mike yesterday. Paraphrasing, "you're paid to play. If you get hurt and you're injury prone, you'll have a short career. They pay you to play".
Ditka's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Nope just an impatient owner

I thought he would be on IR - Didn't you say that earlier in this thread and on the weekly injury thread?

Has anyone actually seen any of this "dominating practice" footage? Because I just keep seeing the same clips over and over where he comes up out of a stance, dances to and fro, and never really runs... no arm extension... doesn't really engage... and certainly doesn't look to be in football shape (looks skinny and plodding to me). That's just the "eyeball test" based on the extremely limited network coverage that I've seen.

Starting to smell like a complete Patriots smoke screen... keep the media frustrated... make teams prepare for the idea of Gronk playing... while knowing all the while that he won't be available anytime soon.

I heard he's actually in prison with Hernandez as an accomplice and that's a japanese robot going through the motions on the practice field.

I've met Ditka at his restaurant, and while he's not the brightest guy around, he's not a total buffoon like this "T with T" guy is.

Simply one of the worst posters in the Shark Pool with his barely coherent drivel.

I've met Ditka at his restaurant, and while he's not the brightest guy around, he's not a total buffoon like this "T with T" guy is.

Simply one of the worst posters in the Shark Pool with his barely coherent drivel.
I think T with T is taking the David Wilson failure hard.

Has anyone actually seen any of this "dominating practice" footage? Because I just keep seeing the same clips over and over where he comes up out of a stance, dances to and fro, and never really runs... no arm extension... doesn't really engage... and certainly doesn't look to be in football shape (looks skinny and plodding to me). That's just the "eyeball test" based on the extremely limited network coverage that I've seen.

Starting to smell like a complete Patriots smoke screen... keep the media frustrated... make teams prepare for the idea of Gronk playing... while knowing all the while that he won't be available anytime soon.
Wasn't he used in practice so Talib could practice shadowing Graham? He seems to have done his job. :shrug:

haha come on internet tough guy... Open your ears and get an education son... I post perfectly coherent and make things easy to understand... Just becase your trailor butt can't pick it up it's not my fault, go pick up a book son... Let's make this about GRONK not me and you ok son. Tell your mother I said hi to.

haha come on internet tough guy... Open your ears and get an education son... I post perfectly coherent and make things easy to understand... Just becase your trailor butt can't pick it up it's not my fault, go pick up a book son... Let's make this about GRONK not me and you ok son. Tell your mother I said hi to.
Excellent job making Paulymaggs' point. "I post perfectly coherent [sic]" "Let's make this about Gronk not me and you ok son," followed with "Tell your mother I said hi to [sic]"

Seriously, why do you post if it adds NOTHING to a thread?

Let's try to stay on topic.

Someone just traded Gronk in a dynasty 1.5 PPR for TE league for a 2014 1st and 2014 3rd. Owners are panicking.
I traded Gronk for Rodgers last week - I thought I received good value, but Rodgers has become very pedestrian, & with no Cobb, meh! - If I could take that trade back I might...

In my other league I am not nearly as panicked as I'm sitting 5-1 - I'm just keeping Gronk warm on my bench and not thinking about trading him unless I get good value. However, there becomes a point when you say WTF. I think we reached that point when Gronk's mom gave an interview to the Boston Herald saying he was dying to play. Why is your mom giving interviews? This isn't pop warner and this isn't the neighborhood news... This whole thing ####### wreaks like dog####. Also, he was supposedly cleared by the team docs, so I'm going to have dispute that Diane!

ProTip: nobody is laughing with you, guy.

Wow, this game me flashbacks to the budget shutdown reporting! <_<

Users who are viewing this thread