What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (1 Viewer)

Shanahanigans said:

If I owned Miller I would be looking for an owner in my league like you who is still holding out hope, and use him to either move up in the draft or attain as high a draft pick as possible, which I would imagine is the 16th overall or later. He might serve as good trade bait or an add-on for the Moreno owner.

If you "wait and see" I think you will be holding on to a guy that has zero value next year. The ideal time to trade was last year when his hype was through the roof.

I don't disagree. This is the nature of a lottery ticket. And it matters a lot what league you are in. If yours is ten teams with rosters of 15, who would waste the spot. But if you're a dozen teams with rosters 25 deep that starts 2 RBs and a couple of flex players, you're holding a lot of garbage with far less upside than Miller. I tend to be in deeper leagues and so have that perspective.

If we go these separate ways on several players like Miller, you will be right on maybe 3/4 of them who never become stars and I'll be right on maybe 1/4. If I can get a quality starting RB 1 out of 4 times for what Miller costs after the Moreno signing (I think more like an early 20s pick in this year's deep draft) I'm good with that. If you already have 3 good RBs and only need 2, I wouldn't hold on to him either.

Trying to have this discussion between large and small roster owners, I think the question is how much potential Miller has to become a solid starter. Guys that aren't power backs always have that shortcoming and I don't think Miller is as elusive as Bush was or Gio is either. That caps his value in the best of situations. But I still think he has the ability to be a productive lead back for the Fins. In my situation, I think Miller's potential is well worth holding onto for a 20+ rookie pick.

____

Oops. Edited to attribute quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the writing on the wall for Miller? Now that they have brought in Moreno. Moreno is a 3 down back since he can do all things as well as/better than Miller...certainly catch and block. Probably not as fast but that hasn't helped Miller either. As long as that line sucks and Tannehill doesn't scare anyone probably doesn't matter who the RB is.
No and your last line is the real answer. Sherman was fired for incompetence so there's a new OC in town.
The writing is on the wall for Moreno. They did not sign Moreno to a one year contract to make him the starter. He is Lamar Miller insurance.

Shanahanigans said:

If I owned Miller I would be looking for an owner in my league like you who is still holding out hope, and use him to either move up in the draft or attain as high a draft pick as possible, which I would imagine is the 16th overall or later. He might serve as good trade bait or an add-on for the Moreno owner.

If you "wait and see" I think you will be holding on to a guy that has zero value next year. The ideal time to trade was last year when his hype was through the roof.

I don't disagree. This is the nature of a lottery ticket. And it matters a lot what league you are in. If yours is ten teams with rosters of 15, who would waste the spot. But if you're a dozen teams with rosters 25 deep that starts 2 RBs and a couple of flex players, you're holding a lot of garbage with far less upside than Miller. I tend to be in deeper leagues and so have that perspective.

If we go these separate ways on several players like Miller, you will be right on maybe 3/4 of them who never become stars and I'll be right on maybe 1/4. If I can get a quality starting RB 1 out of 4 times for what Miller costs after the Moreno signing (I think more like an early 20s pick in this year's deep draft) I'm good with that. If you already have 3 good RBs and only need 2, I wouldn't hold on to him either.

Trying to have this discussion between large and small roster owners, I think the question is how much potential Miller has to become a solid starter. Guys that aren't power backs always have that shortcoming and I don't think Miller is as elusive as Bush was or Gio is either. That caps his value in the best of situations. But I still think he has the ability to be a productive lead back for the Fins. In my situation, I think Miller's potential is well worth holding onto for a 20+ rookie pick.

____

Oops. Edited to attribute quote.
You make a solid point about roster size. I am by no means saying Miller is unrosterable. He has done enough to warrant a roster spot in most dynasty leagues. If he were cut in my 19 player roster league, I would pick him up if even just to try to trade him. That said, I believe his perceived value is still higher than his actual value, given that you have a owner in your league that is still holding out hope based on his age and measurables.

I doubt he will ever amount to anything, and would be looking to move him. That doesn't mean cut him, but I am definitely not buying him either.

So is the writing on the wall for Miller? Now that they have brought in Moreno. Moreno is a 3 down back since he can do all things as well as/better than Miller...certainly catch and block. Probably not as fast but that hasn't helped Miller either. As long as that line sucks and Tannehill doesn't scare anyone probably doesn't matter who the RB is.
No and your last line is the real answer. Sherman was fired for incompetence so there's a new OC in town.
The writing is on the wall for Moreno. They did not sign Moreno to a one year contract to make him the starter. He is Lamar Miller insurance.
As it is for Miller. Team don't sign RB's for $3M as insurance.

I'll predict that Miller's ypc will be better than Moreno's. Not that it means much if he can't pass protect but as I and others have posted, the MIA OL in 2013 was one of the worst if not the worst in the league and he still had a better ypc than a guy named Richardson who played for a playoff team.

Now he didn't get a lot of carries but his ypc was also better than these guys:

Chris Johnson

Zac Stacy

Leveon Bell

Jones-Drew

Ray Rice

Give him as many carries as Zac Stacy and he outperforms Zac Stacy. So I doubt talent is the issue. I still stand by suckage at the OC spot and the OL.

Let me preface this post by admitting that I find the current discussions really interesting because I own Moreno, after a late season trade last year, and I am considering keeping him. Thus the interest in what folks think about Miller this year.

The last few months, posters views on Miller's perceived or real value, and his predictable production for the coming year, have been all over the map. Exactly like last year.

Right now I'm in the camp that believes Miller's true role will be significantly reduced by Miami's acquisition of Moreno and his predictable production will be negligible. In redraft I would only roster him as a handcuff to Moreno, which doesn't seem like all that bad a plan at this point in the offseason, considering Moreno shouldn't be an RB1 selection (even if you did go WR heavy early.) In Dynasty, I'd rank him a little higher because I think there's some untapped potential there. So he's probably more of a hold to those that still believe that he's got the talent to succeed and produce for their fantasy teams. In keeper leagues I'd only roster him if I had nothing better.

Just my two cents. Even so, I think a poll taken closer to (or during) training camp would settle this heading into the season.

Disagree. Teams don't sign rbs for 5-8M as insurance. They pay 3M on a 1 year deal for insurance.

Disagree. Teams don't sign rbs for 5-8M as insurance. They pay 3M on a 1 year deal for insurance.
Spin it however you want, the signing of Moreno was an ominous sign for Miller's future.

Speaking Tuesday, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin praised Knowshon Moreno's "versatility and multiple skill-set."

Moreno has averaged just 4.1 yards per carry for his career, but is indeed versatile. He has 157 career receptions across 60 games, and is an able pass protector. Moreno's fantasy value figures to plummet without Peyton Manning at the controls, but he'll be a fungible part of Miami's running-back committee.

just 4.1!!!!!

I'll predict that Miller's ypc will be better than Moreno's. Not that it means much if he can't pass protect but as I and others have posted, the MIA OL in 2013 was one of the worst if not the worst in the league and he still had a better ypc than a guy named Richardson who played for a playoff team.

Now he didn't get a lot of carries but his ypc was also better than these guys:

Chris Johnson

Zac Stacy

Leveon Bell

Jones-Drew

Ray Rice

Give him as many carries as Zac Stacy and he outperforms Zac Stacy. So I doubt talent is the issue. I still stand by suckage at the OC spot and the OL.
I agree - Miller's ypc will be higher but Moreno will get more carries. They will have different roles - hence the apparent (on the surface) contradiction.

Shanahanigans said:
Touchdown There said:
cstu said:
Touchdown There said:
lod01 said:
Warpig said:
Spin it however you want, the signing of Moreno was an ominous sign for Miller's future.
Meh. More concerned about the guy they draft this year. Moreno will be somewhere else in 2015.

Anyone catch this blurb today?

"(RotoWire)Miller will compete with Knowshon Moreno for the Dolphins' starting running back position heading into training camp, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

Analysis: Miller was a breakout candidate ahead of last season, but underwhelmed with just 709 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the campaign. To boost their options, the Dolphins added Moreno on the heels of a career-year in Denver. With Moreno reportedly a bit overweight at the moment, Miller ran with the first-team offense to begin the second week of OTAs on Monday. Although Miller possesses more big-play ability, Moreno carries momentum from last season into Miami's backfield competition, which should be monitored as offseason activities progress."

Moreno is overweight? Didn't hear that until this article. Also, Miller run spring with the first team. Kind of interesting.

I also saw reports of Moreno looking overweight on twitter, though stuff like that spreads quickly...remember Lacy last year?

But I have also been seeing Lazor will have an offense similar to the Eagles, if that's the case I like Miller if he stays cheap - I'd rather take a shot on him if he is 5-6 rounds later, as he appears to be right now.

he was always going to be a part of the rotation, i thought. IIRC, thomas strung a few games together last year and put up semi-respectable numbers. i think the entire offseason bears monitoring.

Is the offensive line any better this season? I can't get some of these horrific lines out of my head. :porked:

Week 1 - 10 carries, 3 yards

Week 5 - 7 carries, 15 yards

Week 9 - 7 carries, 2 yards

Week 11 - 10 carries, 8 yards

Week 15 - 3 carries, 8 yards

Is the offensive line any better this season? I can't get some of these horrific lines out of my head. :porked:

Brandon Albert in free agency, tackle from Tennessee at #19, T/G at #67.
All one has to do is look at Miller's numbers from the year before and understand the difference between that OL and last years OL. Factor in Mike Sherman as the OC and you have your answer. I stand by my statement that Miller will outperform Moreno barring injury.

From the Tannehill thread:

it appears they added four new starters to the offensive line:

Signed Brandon Albert, former first round pick, solid but unspectacular LT

Drafted Ja'wuan James 19th overall to likely play RT

Drafted Billy Turner 67th overall who can play tackle or guard

Signed Shelley Smith who should be a very capable starter at guard for them

Miller < 180 carries. Stay away!
Nothing has changed.
Nothing? You sure about that? New linemen don't count, nor does a new offensive coordinator I assume?
Pretty sure you're missing the point. Miller himself is big issue, not the situation. He is what hasnt changes. You can't build an NFL ground game around a dude who can't run through an occasional arm tackle.

Miller < 180 carries. Stay away!
Nothing has changed.
Nothing? You sure about that? New linemen don't count, nor does a new offensive coordinator I assume?
Pretty sure you're missing the point. Miller himself is big issue, not the situation. He is what hasnt changes. You can't build an NFL ground game around a dude who can't run through an occasional arm tackle.
Exactly.

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller is "taking a lot of first-team snaps" as Knowshon Moreno works "at least partly" with twos at Dolphins OTAs.

Moreno dropped a pass during Monday's session, and afterward coach Joe Philbin "conceded that his conditioning could be better." Miller has been written off by many fantasy leaguers, which is factored into his minimal cost. Per the latest Average Draft Position data, Miller's lasting until the 12th round.

Source: Miami Herald Jun 4 - 8:57 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Miller's talent, but there wasn't a worse coached offense in football last year then the Dolphin's. Assuming his value does skyrocket leading up to preseason hes a great buy low target.

What was the sign for Moreno when Denver let him walk? Did Denver know something that Miami didn't but will soon enough?

I don't know one way or the other. You have a guy who's old team just let him walk competing with a guy who's current team decided to add someone else into the mix. I see it as a 50/50 proposition right now with the very real possibility that neither guy seizes the job, the coaches don't commit to one or the other, and so both guys prove completely unreliable and thereby worthless to fantasy owners.

It's not a clear situation so opinions before the fact tend to color the interpretation of the fact one way or the other. If you were high on Miller before, you tend to see the modest money and short term nature of Moreno's contract as insurance-like. If you were low on Miller before, you see the fact that Miami brought Moreno in as proof that Miami is moving on. Both are very real possibilities.

Well...as a Hillman 2013 owner, I won't believe Miller is the starter until the Dolphins break huddle in game one.
Last year at this time i think Moreno was 3rd on the depth chart in denver. I still think he will be the guy come september. I dont care who is taking first team reps in early june....

thats pertty much the going rate for a backup RB

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller - RB - Dolphins

Lamar Miller has worked with the Dolphins' first-team offense for three weeks in a row.

"He's had a very good camp," said coach Joe Philbin. "This is the time as a third-year player that you're ready to make a big contribution." Per beat writer James Walker, Miller is "making more big plays in the running game" than Knowshon Moreno, "who appears to be working his way into shape." We noticed earlier Monday another beat writer tweet Miller was handling first-team reps with Miami's red-zone offense. With a current 12th-round ADP, Miller has a chance to be a fantasy value pick in new OC Bill Lazor's run-based attack.

Related: Knowshon Moreno

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 9 - 5:53 PM

This is a "wait and see" (i.e. fluid) situation...you really cannot get passionate behind either of these guys, and one will eventually rise to the top. Guessing now is just that, guessing.

ETA: With that said, Miller at his current ADP is an excellent pick up if you were drafting today. Not saying these guys don't have value, etc., just that this is so early in the process, it really is just a guess...and if it is a guess, I am going to take the "cheaper" guy each time.

This is a "wait and see" (i.e. fluid) situation...you really cannot get passionate behind either of these guys, and one will eventually rise to the top. Guessing now is just that, guessing.

ETA: With that said, Miller at his current ADP is an excellent pick up if you were drafting today. Not saying these guys don't have value, etc., just that this is so early in the process, it really is just a guess...and if it is a guess, I am going to take the "cheaper" guy each time.
Agreed. I'd been planning to land him as my RB6 or so in redrafts, but I've got a bad feeling his ADP is going to keep moving up as we get closer to labor day.

Miller's style was exposed in 2013. This guy was getting tackled by fingers. If he has learned to not go down on first contact we might have something.

I agree with others...he's a good value as of today, but I'm not sure that remains.

I think this is another instance of a guy being expected to breakout a year too early.

Was offered 2.05 for him in a start 3RB + 1 possible flex in a 10 team league. It was tempting but I declined cause I just traded for Miller and I want to see what happens.

The way I see it is that I have both CLE RB's ranked in that 2.05 area and I would rather have Miller than either of those.

Another guy that's the same age as some rookies coming in that people gave up on entirely too early.

ETA: :popcorn:

Just noticed that undrafted rookie, Damien Williams, signed a 1 year deal worth $780k paying him more than Lamar Miller, Thigpen and Gillislee in 2014. Not only that, but the kid was kicked out of school for weed with a few games left in his senior year. He tore up the combine (5'11" 222 4.45), but it seems like a very risky move for a team coming off the Martin debacle, no?

Reading into it a little, Williams is being paid like a 4th round guy this year so he was obviously in very high demand around the league. Also, with his past a big red flag and Miami needing to clean up public image, what does that tell you about their belief in that backfield long term?

You have Moreno coming in fat, Miller never looking like a guy that can carry the load, Thomas still hanging around, a UFA rookie getting paid better than your projected starter.

I want nothing to do with this backfield, but I'll make the bold prediction that Thomas gets cut and the Williams factors in before the end of the year. I'm guessing he gets busted for weed at some point, but if not, he could very well be a sneaky pick in dynasty leagues.

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, Lamar Miller "remains clearly ahead" of Knowshon Moreno for the Dolphins' starting running back job.
It's hard for anyone to be "clearly ahead" before training camp and the preseason begin, but it's still notable that Miller has so thoroughly out-practiced Moreno this spring. Whereas Moreno was once the clear favorite to begin the season atop the depth chart, it's now no better than 50-50. Per reporter Barry Jackson, Miller has also been used "more as a receiver" out of the backfield. Miller is a post-hype sleeper to keep an eye on. He has a major talent advantage on Moreno.

Related: Knowshon Moreno

Source: Miami Herald

Why would anyone in their right mind want to roster Lamar Miller? It wouldn't matter how big or small my roster is, this guy sucks and is the worst type of running back to own... plus look at the team he plays for, THE DOLPHINS. By far, the worst team in sports to watch are the Dolphins, which boasts a fanbase that consists of a bunch of smug arseholes with nothing to speak of to back it up. It doesn't help either that they play in the second most boring division in all of pro sports, the NFL AFC East (the first most boring is the Central Division in the Eastern Conference of the NBA; the Pac 12 mens bball conference would be the winner for the 'Who Cares?' trophy if all sports were included).

Anyways...I just wanted to put my two cents in, Lamar Miller sucks.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to roster Lamar Miller? It wouldn't matter how big or small my roster is, this guy sucks and is the worst type of running back to own... plus look at the team he plays for, THE DOLPHINS. By far, the worst team in sports to watch are the Dolphins, which boasts a fanbase that consists of a bunch of smug arseholes with nothing to speak of to back it up. It doesn't help either that they play in the second most boring division in all of pro sports, the NFL AFC East (the first most boring is the Central Division in the Eastern Conference of the NBA; the Pac 12 mens bball conference would be the winner for the 'Who Cares?' trophy if all sports were included).

Yeah who in their right mind would take a chance at a young, talented running back who just may have a shot a starting gig or at least a role in an offense that is looking to mimic the Philly Eagles of last season...

:shrug:

I'm not a huge fan of his -- as a work horse RB -- but he unquestionably can be a change of pace RB. JMO He'll never have the tackle breaking ability to be a consistent 200-250+ carry RB year after year. He's a guy IMO that you give 5-10 carries/game and a couple passes and let him try to make a game changing play.

I think he can be more than he was allowed to show in 2013 in the pass game.

So let me sum this up. We should avoid Lamar Miller because you dislike Dolphins fans and because they play in a boring division. Thanks, meatwad1! Quality stuff!

The Miller/Moreno battle intrigues me because of Lazor. I think of the Eagles being the creation of Kelly but if Lazor did learn something and can bring something like that system to MIA then the starting RB almost automatically becomes a valuable weapon, obviously not a McCoy but something. Now can/will Lazor do that? I don't know. But it's possible.

Good to know, I'll avoid Wallace and Hartline too because the Dolphins are boring. Thanks for the eye opening analysis. :shrug:

Here is what I like about Lamar Miller this year - opportunity.

#1 - Moreno started his offseason conditioning late because of the Bronco's super bowl run. His knee likely had problems all offseason. He was hoping it would heal on its own - and it didn't - forcing him to get scoped late in the offseason. I believe Moreno will miss nearly all of camp. They will likely keep him on the roster, but he is in a new system and will have NO reps in preparation for the season. I expect Moreno to be Lamar Miller insurance and ride the bench.

#2 - Daniel Thomas is average to below-average at best. This is coming from a guy who drafted him in my only dynasty league three years back. I thought he was good, watched him play, and realized I wasted a first round pick. I think they gave DT another shot to prove himself last year and he failed. He is in a contract year and I will guarantee that DT is not re-signed next year by Miami.

#3 - New offensive coordinator and rebuilt o-line. The decision to limit Lamar Miller's carries last year was made by a guy who is gone. The line has something to prove, along with Tannehill, but it would be shocking to see them be worse than last year.

If Lamar Miller has the talent, he will get the opportunity to shine this year. It is a good year to hold him in dynasty and a great late round pick in redraft.

Users who are viewing this thread